Back In Black - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.80% ABV

ABV varies around 7%.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 11-23-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Back In Black Alström Bros

1.33/5  rDev -63.9%

Got a 6 pack from WholeFoods and I never even finished a can. Tried pouring into a glass, drinking it out of the can, either way it was terrible. Resiny hop bitterness, dingy malt character, and an unpleasent sweetness from underattenuation. All in all this is in my top 5 worst beers in the bay area.

1.35/5  rDev -63.3%

So excited to try this beer and out of the gate it looks promising with a opaque black appearance and strong head. Aroma is of vending machine hot chocolate, very faint. From here the beer heads down very fast. Taste of sour milk from a metal canteen and virtually no hopfeel on the tongue. My cheapness prevents the drinkability of this one taking a ride out to the town sewer. Can't get over how bad this one is from a brewery that I've had some luck with. It's a huge step forward that craft beer is turning to cans but it's still what is inside that counts and this one fails miserably.

1.43/5  rDev -61.1%

12 oz can poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

It looked good out of the can, with a dark, almost black color with hints of red. The smell was not promising, a little bit hoppy with metallic notes. The immediate taste was unpleasant; some astringency as if the husks were still present but everything else was blocked out by the overwhelming metallic taste. The lingering taste was metallic. I let it warm (or air out, "open") but everything was still dominated by metal.

Overall, very disappointing. It was not palatable and I could not finish it, pouring out half.

I enjoy other 21st Amendment beers and canned craft beers in general. I actually had a 12 pack of Dale's Pale in my hand before seeing Back in Black at my local store. I hope this was a problem with a particular can or of bad transit.

1.6/5  rDev -56.5%

First time I've had this in a can, and it tastes nothing like when I've had this on draft. Sadly, quite the opposite. Looked good when I poured it, smelled okay, but there's some off taste that I can't put my finger on - a chemical. It's not as hoppy as the draft version - I smell or taste almost no hops. I'm wondering if this was packaged in the wrong can.

If I'd reviewed this on draft a few months ago, I'd have given it great reviews - probably an 'A'

1.65/5  rDev -55.2%

Poured from can into pint glass. 0222 0225 stamped on bottom.

A- Pours a nice brown that sits pretty dark in glass. A nice rocky khaki head forms. decent lacing.

S- A light smooth roasted cocoa aroma, hops seem to be absent.

T- A bold metallic tang that lingers. A slight roasted malt but very weak. Hops are absent. I'm really confused. It is not simply my perception of the alum can. Taste is like chewing on a paper clip.

M- Thin, watery. The after taste that lingers is bad. No real body.

O- Completely surprised in a bad way. It actually got worse as it warmed. A def drain pour. I had really hoped for at least good, but this was unbearable. More like old radiator water then beer. Maybe this had gone bad some how. I would like to give it another try on tap though.

1.83/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I really cannot see how this beer has a B+

Poured into pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of light tan head. color is a dark copper brown with high clarity for how dark it is. Decent retention with some lace.

Aroma: Pepperonis and crushed black pepper. This beer actually smells like pizza. Roasted malts. Where are the hops?

Taste: Tons of pepper flavors. Grassy hops show with some bitterness. Roasted/smokey malts. This beer just doesn't work.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and roasted with a slight bitterness to it. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and grassy.

Overall, not a very good beer, at all. It is actually quite terrible. Doesn't taste anything like a bipa. Hardy any fresh hops. Pretty much a drainpour.

1.98/5  rDev -46.2%

Oh wow. This one didn't hit me quite so well.

Appearance is great. It pours such a dark brown that it becomes almost pitch black in the glass, and it has a nice amount of carbonation.

Smell is odd. I can sense a light bit of hops, but for the most part it's over-taken by a puckering-bitter smell.

At first taste, it's pretty good with dark notes and malts, then something happens that I don't enjoy. Like the smell, a wave of sweet-bitterness that makes me pucker hits. The tail is very dry and leaves that bitter taste lingering.

Personally I don't find the puckering taste that enjoyable, so I can't say I find this beer all that drinkable. All said and done, I have to give it a try!

Cheers

Pours a very very deep mahogany with a huge off white head. Best smelling can beer I've had so far. Head is thick and sticky as well, looks nice.

Nose is big on charcoal coffee and burnt dark malts. Very stick lacing. Charcoal and burnt roasted caramel on the front end of flavor. Really no mid range with a bitter black chocolate finish supplemented by a slight hop addition. Light to medium in body with a slightly dirty finish of confused flavors (malts trying to balance the hops and vice versa)

Mostly a malty beer though with good carbonation. Not as smooth as others I've had though. Flavors are unbalanced and simple.

Still questing for a craft beer in a can that I like.

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A -- Looks fairly typical for a black IPA. Maybe a bit on the dark and syrupy side, but that might be bias from drinking it.

S -- Smells malty and sweet, without a lot of hop odor.

T -- Taste is similar. Too thick and sweet, not enough happiness.

M -- Not good. Thick, cloying, not enough carbonation (maybe not canned well). Does not drink like a black IPA.

This is definitely my least favorite black IPA so far. From some of the other comments, it seems like maybe the can is the problem. Unfortunately, this beer is sold in a can, so that's how I drank it. I've had plenty of good canned beers, so if that's the problem, I suppose the canning of this beer was just not handled properly.

Back In Black from 21st Amendment Brewery