1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Back In Black - 21st Amendment Brewery

Back In BlackBack In Black

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.80% ABV

ABV varies around 7%.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 11-23-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Back In Black Alström Bros
2.15/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours cola brown (without the carbonation) with a big taupe head that diminishes in a few minutes. Aroma is of grapefruit plus floral plus a bit of a sharp metallic tang. Tastes a nice dark roast malt and chocolate up front fading to grapefruit then burnt grapefruit rind. Combined taste is a bit nasty for me. One is plenty. Not something to impress friends with.

atomicbeer, Feb 20, 2011

heddar33, Sep 09, 2012

maryd837, Apr 22, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -39%

I had Back in Black poured from a can into a standard pint glass on the evening of May 23, 2012.

Appearance: As the name suggests, Back in Black is…black. Beyond the color, there is a quickly dissipating off-white head with medium bubbles and some decent lacing.

Smell: Back in Black’s aroma is as roasty and bready as the dark color suggests but I found the hop notes seem a bit inorganic—less like a pine trees and tropical fruit and more like pine air freshener and Capri Sun.

Taste: The taste is dry with roasted malt as the overwhelming flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel with Black IPAs or, as we like to call them in Seattle, CDAs, is always a bit jarring. Simply put, the appearance primes you for a more substantial texture than these beers tend to offer and Back in Black is no exception. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, which is fine, but, I also found the beer lacked in terms of slickness or viscosity—it just felt rough.

Overall: I didn’t like Back in Black and I wouldn’t buy it again. BIPA/CDAs seem like a very “hit or miss” style and, for me, HUB’s Secession or Firestone Walker’s Wookey Jack are significantly better ales.

TheEarl, May 24, 2012

KevdoggNasty, Mar 28, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -38.2%

C- Dark Brown almost black

A- Very hop forward

Taste – Surprising malt start to the taste that ends with a strong hop finish. There are some strong roasted notes.

Overall – My first sip made me think cough medicine. The more I drank, the better it gets. The odd thing is that it seems like I get different flavors with each sip. One sip will be overwhelming, and then the next will be relatively soft. Black IPAs are the new vogue beer style, and that is certainly a good thing. The problem for this beer is that there are so many brewers doing it well it is overshadowed by better competitors despite throwing a ton of flavor.

Kyrgyzbrewer, Feb 26, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -36.3%

A - Black, as the name implies. Pours like a porter, with a tan head to match. Lots of lacing. Great appearance in general.

S - The hops are a little off on this, but maybe that is because of the dark malts. Some floral/fruit character here would not go amiss.

T - There really isn't much here but burnt toast and bitterness.

M - Some imperial stout-like stickiness on the lips. This is good. However, there is some astringency here that I just don't care for.

D - I wouldn't buy it again. On the other hand, if it was present in someone's fridge and the only other offering was Fizzy Yellow, I would choose Black.

dvb, Nov 06, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can poured into a Shipyard imperial pint glass.

A - Pours an almost dead black that lets thru practically no light...no sign of haze, but too dark to be totally sure. A finger + of creamy tan, fluffy foam sits on top of the beer for a brief minute before falling to the surface leaving a rocky, uneven layer and collar and a bunch of lace on the glass.

S - Bitter, burnt black malt, a touch of buttery diacetyl, dill pickles?, a bit metallic, black pepper. Green hops, somewhat vegetable like - green peas, green beans. Umm, very weird.

T - Bitter dark malts, metallic, fresh green, grassy hops. Middle of the road hop bitterness. The green/vegetable like qualities of the aroma carry thru here...this really isn't hitting me. Very unusual and not in a good way.

M - Somewhat thin, as I have come to expect from black IPA's, although tending more towards medium bodied than most. Medium carbonation that is prickly on the tongue. I just can't get past the green, leafy, vegetable like character here.

D - Definitely not one of my favorite beers out there...and I am generall a big fan of 21st Ammendment stuff. This has a funny aroma/flavor that disagreed with me from the start...glad I only bought a single instead of the 4pk(6pk?)...based on others reviews, maybe I got an off can, but I have to say I'm just not getting what others are saying about this one.

portia99, Aug 04, 2010

taylocd, Jan 21, 2012

OriolesFan1008, Sep 29, 2013

SenorHops, Mar 12, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

Picked up a 6 pack at Jungle Jim's.

The pour is promising. 2 fingers of white head atop a Porter-esque body. The smell is more Pale Ale than anything. Not too hoppy. Very little dark malt. The taste was not very good. STRONG metallic taste right up front. IDK if it was the can or something in the beer but tons of metallic flavors, not something I've encountered with other canned craft beer. Watered down. Lacking in flavor. Dull, boring. The mouthfeel was thin and the drinkability was okay although I didn't really like the beer.

I'd like to see some more reviews to see if anyone else gets the metallic flavors.

Brew33, Aug 09, 2010

Vonhinx, Oct 17, 2013

meltroha, Aug 08, 2013

Scout11, Mar 23, 2012

soroka24, Feb 18, 2013

Mississippi, Oct 27, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -30.9%

12oz can poured into a Duvel snifter.

Pours a pitch black silky smooth color with a nice solid one finger deep brown head with lots of cratering and sticky lacing. Nose is very sweet, malty and it almost smells a bit like Belgian yeast, interesting. There are some hops but it's not over the top.

Wow, taste is something different, I'm not sure if I like it. It's a bit metallic (I don't attribute that to the can), and has a somewhat sharp tang. It's fairly acidic and harsh, a bit grainy as well. There are some hops because I do get bitterness on this but it seems more like bitterness from roasted malt. Mouthfeel is fairly watery, with very light but sharp carbonation. It's not so easy drinking and it leaves a bit of an off flavor in your mouth. Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in this.

kingcrowing, Oct 01, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

A: Opaque dark brown. Ruby hues when held to the light. Large retaining tan head. Prolonged lacing throughout.

S: Light piney hops. Sweet malts.

T: Sweet and roasted malts. Light hop presence. Slight bitterness and an off-taste that I can't put my finger on in the finish. It kind of tastes like...soap? The 'roasty-ness' is nice. There's a little bit of an unpleasant sweetness that lingers. Other than that, there's not much going on.

M: Light, thin feel. Medium carbonation. It could use a bigger body.

D: Drinkability is alright. The alcohol is hidden well. It's just a little too sweet for me, so I don't think I'd want more than one.

kevinv, Feb 03, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -30.1%

A- A deep brown though definitely far from black. A one finger head of small white bubbles falls slowly leaving no lacing. This one is also clearly not filtered and contains lots of brown and white yeast that I wasn't expecting in a canned beer.

S- American hops (cascade) are up front in the nose with a little bubblegum and pine and a touch of caramel rounding out the heavy citrus. Would like more "dark beer" traits but smells like an IPA.

T- Flavor is sweet with the caramel and some bubblegum standing over a refrained hop character. Finishes with a rush of moderate bitterness. As an IPA it fails with little hop flavor, as an american brown it's just ok.

M- Moderate in body and fairly low in carbonation, it's not hard to drink but is not nearly as dry as an IPA and without any roastiness there isn't much of an excuse.

D- In almost all respects this one just feels like a lazy attempt at an over hopped brown. By no stretch of the imagination would I call this a black IPA as it isn't black, it isn't dry and there's practically no hop flavor. The thick layer of yeast sediment was also offputting in the glass and really uncalled for in a can. It was hard for me to give this brewery another try with how much I hated the watermelon wheat, now I know to stay away for good.

Guden, Jan 31, 2012