Back In Black - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 11-23-2008

ABV varies around 7%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Back In Black Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,163 | Reviews: 692
4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Back in Black, just like AC/DC? Just loved the name and of course, I've never tried this.

Pours a dark, dark brown color (not quite black) with a reddish hue and two-finger head.

Cream, dark fruit and hops run circles around the nose with the hops exhibiting grassy characteristics.

Hops are subdued here, balanced out by dark fruit, cream and a hint of coffee. Doesn't come on strongly like other examples.

Grassy hops and dark fruit are the lingering flavors here. Alcohol is kept in check and nothing really jumps out at this point.

A decent example that strives to find balance, since a lot of American Black Ales are hop bombs or lean too much into dark ale/stout territory.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Dark brown almost black which the name of the beer explains, with a thick off white head, that leaves a nice thick lace on the glass as you enjoy this beer notice how the lace sticks there and never really disappears, which is always a plus in my eyes!

S- Not as strong as most American IPAs useally are, but there's no denying the citrus aroma and the blast of the dark malty hops.

T- Very delicious matter of fact I only intended to drink one after a long night of work and had two more, it wasn't as bitter as I would of liked but I can not complain, with the heavy malty,
hoppy taste with a citrus after taste that I love, very refreshing and enjoyable!

MF- Little to no carbonation heavy thick feel which was awesome, with the classic but light citrus feel that coats the mouth and has your taste buds screaming for more.

D- Very drinkable, like I said before I only attended to have one, and ended up drinking three, very refreshing and satisfying which surprised me cause it only comes in cans which you expect that metallic taste which it didn't have at all, with that said two big thumbs up to the 25th Admendment brewing company for a very enjoyable American style IPA.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

had this on tap at 2 Stones Pub in Newark, DE. this is a great brew.

the color is black, with a good solid 2 inch head that laces nicely

the smell is somewhat smokey, with chocolate and/or coffee hints, and a nice hop aroma

taste is everything i would want in this style, it starts like a stout and finishes like an IPA. has a chocolate, smokey taste to start as well as a piney, bitter finish.

overall i really enjoy this one. i have since found it in cans, and when poured into a glass, it is very good that way as well.
another solid offering from 21st Amendment!

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Back in very dark brown actually. Fluffy tan head settles to a thick crown of retention that BiB wears proudly all glass long. Leaves lacey sheets in it's wake. Would be perfect if it was actually black.

Bright citrus with soft pine edges and brownie batter. Not too much dark roasty malt that I was anticipating but it works just the same.

Bright orange citrus hop and smooth dark roast malt flavor without any actual dark roasted bitterness. I'm guessing a lot of carafa was used here. Uber juicy hops become more and more prevalent as the beer warms and taste like cotton candy and Blue Raspberry Blow Pop.

Sweet and with less roast character than most beers of this style but I like it. More of a IPA that happens to be black.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Cracked this can into a Sierra 30th snifter. Root beer black with a cappuccino light brown froth. Bubbles on the ring, wavy froth in the middle leaving excellent webbed lacing. Big aroma of piney hops. Dry and roasty right off the bat. Dry, bitter hoppy mouthfeel. Good drinkability. Black IPA? Not as good as the Stone version but better than the Deschutes one.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Poure from a 12 ounce can into a fluted pint glass.

A- Pours a very dark,nearly opaque, brown-black, with an ample brown head.

S- Some hoppy freshness, pine-like.

T- Hoppy, but not floral, a bit of coffee with a little sweetness.

M- Very bubbly, a bit of CO2 burn, medium body.

D- Very drinkable, not heavy, refreshing for a dark beer.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

A thick black-ish brown color with a healthy light brown head and a nice network of lacing. The aroma is a dark molasses malt and creamy nut with just a hint of can in there. Decent. The flavor is charcoal licorice malt with a bright herbal hop. It's very smooth, almost creamy with light carbonation, medium bodied and very drinkable. Lots of near chocolate malt and a pleasant hop overtone. At first I thought I detected some metal but that disappears quickly. I enjoyed this. Could drink quite a few and quite flavorful with stout and ipa ideas nicely blended.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Wanted to try this one for a little while. 12oz can...

A: Super dark with very faint ruby highlights around the edges when held up to the light. Super, super thick 2 inch off white head that fades at a slow pace. Very good.

S: Bitter, grassy hop scents upfront with a hint of chocolate and caramel on the backend. I get some breadiness in the middle. Good.

T: Hmm, almost tastes like a porter blended with an IPA. A creamy coffee taste upfront quickly followed by a nice blend of bitter hop, but not super bitter. Very dry brew. I get some booziness on the backend. I get some malts hidden in the back. Good.

M: Medium body with a medium carbonation. Ok.

D: This one goes down a lot easier than expected. Very good.

All in all, this is a solid brew. Glad to get to try it. Definitely good if you're looking for an interesting take on an IPA or if you're a fan of Black & Tan's. If you're looking for the straight and narrow though, don't worry about this one.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

A big thanks to BJ for the hookup!

Poured from a can into my Duvel tulip at 45°F.

Pours a dark shade of crimson, probably closer to dark brown but has glimpses of deep red in the light. A nicely formed off white/beige head that left massive mounds of froth all over the place. It's a bubble bath here! Aroma is very interesting. I gather lots of citrus aspects: grapefruit, tangerine peels, hint of lemon. Follow this with a nice honey/caramel sweetness and a touch of roasted coffee and that's your lovely bouquet right there. I must emphasize that the roastiness is just EVER so slight, you might think it's an off-aroma at first but give it a little bit to warm and let your olfaction adjust to it. Very balanced between bitter, toasty, and caramel sweetness. I was actually expecting less roast and more hops but this is quite pleasant. Much more of that coffee taste is apparent, but it works well with the citrus and honey. No alcohol heat detected at all. Moderate, yet appropriate, carbonation, touch of dryness in the finish. Medium bodied. Quite drinkable, in fact I wouldn't mind another at all! Or another after that...

Overall, I find this to be a most enjoyable beer. It brings a new perspective to how widely variable a style of beer can be and offers to blur the stylistic lines even more. If I were to describe this in terms of style, I would say that it's 80% citrusy IPA blended with 20% English porter. Thanks again, BJ!

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Nearly pitch black. Darker than I was expecting for a black IPA. Good pour, thin tan head with good lacing.

S: Smells like a citrusy IPA. Orange, grapefruit, grassy with roasted malts and almost a touch of something spicy.

T: Good bitterness. Smoke comes across at first. The malts are definitely well roasted with this guy. The finish is almost a sharp mild chocolate. It's probably mental but I think I can almost pick up some of the metal from the can.

M: Medium mouthfeel. Surprisingly smooth at first but it feels pretty heavily carbonated towards the finish.

D: I never would've guessed this was right around 7%. Pretty good beer. I could probably have a second one of these but might stop there. The roastiness is a bit much for a few IPAs.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

A - Dark brown, not black. HUGE head and lacing on the glass. That part is impressive

S - A lot of hops in the nose. Citrus, dried fruits, tangerines.

T - Nice hoppy flavor, dark malt backbone. Very well balanced.

M - Creamy. Full bodied, very well carbonated.

O - A very good beer, but not amazing like some of the other 21st Amendment brews I have enjoyed.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into a nonic glass.

Pours a near black brew, with some ruby shined through on the edges. Tan head with massive chunky head that settles to a lace island and has great lacing throughout. Very good looking brew.

Brew smells of hops, nutty malts. Piney hops, maybe even grapefruit, nutty earth malts. Decent smell.

Brew is smooth and on medium feeling, slightly thin and carbonated. Very good flavor balance; nutty flavors, piney and fruit hops. Brew finishes a tad bit bitter and slightly dry. Has a oily resin noticed as you drink. This is a very good tasting brew.

The brew is thin enough to session like crazy. I bought a case and I am very pleased. This will be gobbled up for a nice session, at 6.8% it will catch up with you. Very good stuff. My first from 21st Amendment, certainly impressed.

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from, awesome, 12oz can to pint glass.

Dark brown in color, around 25 or 26 SRM. Has nice amber hues in the light. Head is a light tan color. It appears to be clear, but hard to tell because of color.

The smell of this has a lot of dark malt. I also pick up orange, biscuit (a little yeasty) and some chocolate. The nicest part is the floral hops I pick up every couple of smells. It's well hidden behind the malt, but somehow balances things out nicely. There's a little bit of a smoked quality to this one.

I'm not sure why I like this beer. There's no particular flavor that wow's me with each sip, but I immediately want another one. The floral hops are hard to find in the taste, but there is a nice little bitter pop to counteract the malty sweetness and acidity. The acidity is kind of milky (not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me) and clings to the palate after each sip. It's very malty, sweet, and buttery. Oddly, it's very IPA-like at the same time. It goes from very sweet, to a big burst of acidity, and then a slightly sharp bitterness blends in with this.

The texture is rough and chalky. However, it's not viscous like I expected it to be. It's thin, just a bit thicker than an IPA. The carbonation is at about a medium level; I only really noticed it at the beginning of a sip.

I found this very drinkable for a beer with such assertive malt flavor. I found it refreshing, and I don't understand how that works. I could probably have 2 or 3 before I wanted to move on.

Overall, not too shabby. I enjoyed it both cold and warm. My big complaint is the lingering flavors it leaves on your palate. It tastes like the bitterness and acidity have mixed together and glued themselves to my palate.

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Smooth,Malt, earthy. Slightly hopped. Very Easy Beer to drink. Even though the IBU's were at 65, it didn't taste that hoppy. I think it's a unique beer. I didn't feel like it was 6.8%ABV. It was very smooth and would think it was more in the 6.2%. It was like having a Nitro Milk Stout and a Alaskan IPA having a child.
I think there is room for the creation of the Dark IPA market. It's nice to have those earthy, full-mouthed IPA with some stout notes.
I would think that this would be at least scored in the 80's. I think there are better IPA's, but then again. Is this just an IPA?

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Entirely black except for the slightest dark red tinge around the bottom of the glass. Frothy tan head that's breaking apart and starting to lace from the start.

S - Pithy herbal, orangey, citrus hop aroma with undertones of bread and chocolate. It's a really nice smell that's only lacking a bit in power. After taking a sip the smell reminds almost exactly of orange chocolates. Also, about halfway through the glass, it smells just like black patent grains.

T - Strong citrus rind, orangey, pithy hops lead the charge, but there's plenty of malt backbone to match. There's a breadiness to it, but chocolate really dominates. The finish is slightly roasty, but it doesn't dominate anything else. I thought bitterness might seem a little low at 65, but I think it hits the mark really well.

MF - Pretty standard for the style, leaning towards a lighter body.

D - I'm really enjoying this so far. I had sort of gotten the notion that black IPAs(or IBAs, whatever) weren't my favorite, as the grain bill and hops always seemed to clash. I love this combination, though, which is probably because it uses two of my absolute favorite hops(Columbus and Centennial).

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pours a deep red, almost black, not completely opaque. 2 finger off white fluffy head with great retention. Lacing is great.

S - All hops, mostly citrus, some pine comes through.

T - Nice chocolate and coffee malty taste up front, roasted malts work perfectly with the bitter hops. Slight citrus flavor, but the piney hops are the ones that come through in the taste.

M - Light bodied for the style. Good carbonation. Finish is much the same as the taste the whole way through, just slightly more bitter hops.

D - Very good drinkability. I would have probably liked a little more bitterness in the taste, but that's just me, overall a very good Black IPA, or CDA, whichever you choose to call it. Will definitely be getting again.

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

I absolutely love IPA's, drink them whenever I can, but Back in Black was my first Black IPA.

A- Lighter shade of black, maybe molasses, with a thick eggshell head.

S- Smell is of chocolate and coffee aromas. Sweet

T- The taste was actually the best part of this beer. While not as hoppy as regular IPA's, there was a nice balance between hops and malt. Chocolaty throughout with a hint of coffee, but there was also a distinct bitterness to it which was nice. A hint of citrus in the middle.

M- Decent amount of carbonation. More than your average stout which this beer is often compared to, and comparative to your average IPA.

If you're craving an IPA I don't think Back in Black is what you're looking for, but to me it is a must try for any beer enthusiast. I am an IPA diehard and I very much enjoyed it. Yes sir, I will have another.

4.06/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

tastes like a decent IPA, not to smokey or black qualities

4.06/5  rDev +10%

Pours a very thick head of rocky light tan foam, like that you'd see atop a root beer float. And the liquid is definitely black in the glass, after having poured out in a stream that was more like a glassy, oily dark brown. Some dark reddish tones are pulled out in the light. Immense lace stick, like webs of styrofoam. My god what a ridiculously good looking beer!

Nose is a roasty, toasty, even slightly burnt bit of malt. Like burnt popcorn and charred toast, with a coffee-like edge and a hint of steamed milk. Hops shine through all that darkness with a citrus-like brightness. What a contrast.

Taste: Charred/burnt malts are in control and not overpowering the palate, while a fruity, bright citrus spark flashes by, over and around the burnt stuff. It's a flavor that takes awhile to get the taste buds around, but here, in Back In Black, it very much works. It exhibits a healthy balance between two seemingly opposite poles. Dark, rough and dirty versus bright, tart and sweet.

Neither watery nor at all thick, the mouthfeel is one that is slick and slippery; round and present although subtle enough to let the delicate balance of the flavors take most of the attention. Almost reaches the creamy heights of the mighty Iniquity, but only almost. Very much does the job, is what it does.

This is my third can of this in as many days, and the first time I wasn't totally feeling it...the second go-around I started feeling more clued in to its secrets...and this third time I just totally get it. It helps that I really like this emerging style, and while this is no Iniquity, it can definitely stand as a good representation of the style.

Enjoy By: 01/22/15

A: Pours a near black color with 2+ fingers of tan head that very slowly fades down to a nice fluffy cap that leaves some nice lacing

S: Nice and hoppy along with a decent amount of roast up front. Hops are lightly citrusy and piney, with a bit of earthiness. Also get some dark chocolate in there, made a little sweeter from the crystal malt

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with the roasted malts and citrus and pine notes. This is followed by some mild sweetness and earthiness. Finishes with a moderate bitterness and more roast

M: Medium-full bodied with low-moderate carbonation. Very smooth, nearing on creamy

O: A very drinkable and enjoyable black IPA. Not over the top with bitterness or hops, it is extremely well balanced and does a great job getting the most out of both malt and hops. A nice surprise

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

This is my first black IPA for what it's worth. Pours opaque black. Overwhelming grapefruit in the aroma. So much so that I can't get anything else. Thin creamy head, disappears quickly but leaves lots of lacing. Taste: lots of grapefruit but some pine. Thick mouthfeel, almost like a Russian imperial. Bizarre (and has some palette dissonance) to have this palette with the hop profile. Back end has a peculiar combo of hop bitterness and stout bitterness. I love this beer. Well balanced. I would drink this any time. Awesome.

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Poured form a 12oz. can into a pint glass. Pitch-black in color with a reddish hue on the outskirts of the glass. A thick, creamy, 1-finger ecru head emerged, lingered for about a minute, then dissolved into a thin veneer left on the surface of the beer. Some thin, wispy lacing.

S: Deep, rich notes of wet wood, toasted caramel malt, rich hops, chocolate, molasses, pine tar, and some slight citrus rind.

T: Dark toasted-malt notes up-front, with a rich, molasses middle, and a bone-dry finish. The flavor profile is consisted throughout, if a touch thin. Notes of grass, chocolate malt, burnt molasses, earth, and pine. A nicely balanced, hoppy-enough winter beer.

M: The mouthfeel comes in slightly lacking, with a silky presence that borders on watery, and a slightly chalky after-feel.

O: All-in-all this is a fine example of a good black IPA. It doesn't take many risks, but that's ok, as it has some very rewarding flavors, and is pretty much what you would expect.

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

From the can into a pint glass

A friend got this from his local place in Boonton and recommended it so I tried one of his. Like it says it is a Black IPA that pours like a normal IPA. Nice lacing on the glass. It has the hoppy notes in the nose and in the taste which was a nice surprise considering the appearance. This beer is extremely drinkable and a highly recommended IPA if you are in the mood for something slightly different and a little harder to find.

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours black with garnet highlights and a loose lumpy cafe latte head that trails and rings. Straight leaf resin fresh hop flower nose - smells like hops straight off the vine. Some tar, cocoa nibs and molasses but big orange is fighting to get through and comes out in a sticky hops finish. No bitterness on the back end (65 IBUs? Where?) and tingly linger. Medium, creamy, clingy, smooth.

Hops forward for a CDA, dark malts really take a back seat. Those malts do more for the body, making this fuller than just about any IPA I've had, though it's coming off a bit thin and one note too.

Easy sipper in cans, and solid addition to the style.

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

Refrigerator cold 12oz can poured into pint glass. Beer pours dark cola brown with hints of red and a medium-thick chestnut head. Big, floral, hoppy aroma, all IPA, no dark ale (stout, brown, or porter). Serious dry hops.

Taste is simultaneously sweet, refreshing, and bitter. Subtle toasty notes, but also a solid hop bitterness (along with floral and grapefruit) all the way through. High on alcohol, but in no way out of balance with the malt and (for an American IPA) hops. Bonus: the carbonation is surprisingly light, leaving for a creamy mouthfeel that works really well with the burnt barley.

Back In Black from 21st Amendment Brewery