Back In Black - 21st Amendment Brewery

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 11-23-2008

ABV varies around 7%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Back In Black Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,164 | Reviews: 692
3.4/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a Perfect Pint.

A - kind of a murky sludgy brown. Light tan billowy head with very good lacing. Lighter highlights around the edges.

N - super resiny.

T - much maltier than the smell... roastier. Obvious pinkeye's hops too. Little bit of citrus.

M - cold... it was in the fridge.

D - not the best one ive had but its a pretty good beer.

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured out from a can a dark brown beer with a fluffy 2 finger head. Has a light cascade hop smell, some malt is evident. Taste is also fairly subdued, hops are fairly noticeable, some slight roasted notes show themselves towards the end. Mouthfeel is nothing special. Overall a drinkable brew,nothing special.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours pitch black with a 2 finger slightly darker white head. Looks like a stout. Surprising and interesting. Lacing is excellent.

S: Pine, cat pee with a little bit of citrus, coffee and chocolate.

T: Super piney hop flavor. Odd after taste that I can't place a flavor on.

M: Nicely carbonated and full bodied.

O: It's not a good ipa. I don't know if black ipa's are supposed to have a slight roastiness or not but I so get a little bit of a coffeeish vibe. IDK it's something different just not all that great. Everything seems forced and unbalanced.

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

This beer pours a dark brown with a thick kaki head. Not sure if that can be considered a black IPA but it is definately a dark brown IPA.

Very intriguing aroma. Chocolate and roasted malts and maybe some smoke. I don't get a lot of hops but the malts are so aromatic I'm not sure I want to. Once I drink it I get some hop citrusy hop aroma.

The flavor is chocolaty, caramel, some piney hops but not much. I am not sure I can put this up there with IPAs. That is a shame because I really like this beer for a porter and I am getting something like a chili pepper flavor that I am loving. For a Black IPA not so good for a chili pepper infused porter...great.

The mouthfeel is spot on. Creamy, smooth and just the right consistancy.

I am reviewing this beer as a porter because I really like it but just don't see the black IPA it is suposed to be.

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from can into tulip glass on 6/28/2011. Not sure when this was canned, but I picked up a sixer of this the day it came into Bobby's Liquors in Santa Clara.

A: Dark brown with red highlights. Coffee froth head that sticks around for a while before slowly retreating toward the side. There is good lace throughout the enjoyment.

N: Coffee and fruitiness are evident while this beer is cold. It is not until this beer warms up to just below room temp that it really gets good (both in the nose and the taste!); burned chocolate & oak notes become prominent.

T/M: As stated above, this beer really hits its stride when it gets a bit warmer. Chocolate and coffee notes blend with an oak-like bourbon sweetness. This is all complimented by a flash of citric bitterness. The beer has a slightly dry mouthfeel.

I am really falling in love with the American Black Ale style...and this beer seems to be helping me get there. I have had this beer several times in the past, and never felt that impressed by it. However, recently (maybe they tweaked the recipe), I have been picking up on the bourbon/oak notes and found myself loving this beer and the great complexity complexity it has to offer! It is a bit more malt forward than most Black IPA, but it does it right, so that is all I am concerned with.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

I've tried a number of black IPA's over the last year, but from a can? Here's my take on my first canned one:

A- a nearly perfect pour, deep dark brown that falls just short of black, capped with an inch and a half of tan head that lasted for a long time and laced extremely well.

S- mostly of orange, pine, and of sweetly roasted malts

T- for such a dark version of this style, there was a lot of orange peel, grapefruit, pine, molasses and caramel... in other words, it had very little burnt notes I was expecting but good nonetheless

M- light-medium body, ample carbonation, and a citrusy aftertaste that was not in the least bit harsh or bitter

D- one of the easiest-drinking CDA's I have ever had the pleasure of drinking, and even though some may want more roasted or bitter tones, it was one of the best canned beers I have ever had

Thoroughly enjoyable hybrid IPA

3.76/5  rDev +1.9%

From can(though I swore to never patronize cans, but the bartender praised this so much, so I caved):

A=Beautiful pitch-black,with thick creamy tan head, with heavy lacing. Guinness??Guinness is mainstream crap.

S=Malts,chocolate,coffee, faint hops.

Upon sip, I can detect a fairly thin to medium body of same, with the can maybe getting in the way. I know there's a reason I avoid cans, and recommend that all self-respecting brewers avoid cans. This is it. Light carbonation. Overall, decent, but the label says IPA, when it's anything but.

A decent brew,but nothing I would purchase again.

Had this on cask at the 2010 Firkin Festival.

This poured a dark chocolate with a slight reddish hue and a frothy oatmeal head.

It smelled of malt, light grapefruit, lemon and pine.

It tasted malty with dry, bitter hops, pine, and a grapefruit skin ending.

Good carbonation. Good malt to hop balance. Wondering if they actually brewed this baby or if they had a guest brewer do it because it's a great beer.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, this beer is pretty black, with a red-brown edge. The light tan head was impressive at first, but had only mediocre retention and a bit of web-like lacing.

The smell is pretty straightforward. To me, the hops and the malt come together quite well, leading to a sort of citrusy chocolate. Decently alluring.

Taste-wise, this brew is well-balanced, not much of a risk taker, but definitely solid. A nice, full-bodied mouthfeel compliments a decent bit of sweet, chocolately malt, while dry, bitter hops are prevalent on the front and rear end of the taste. The mouthfeel leaves you feeling a bit parched, as if inviting you to drink more.

Overall, I'd say this is a fairly solid (if unremarkable) example of a Black IPA. The can is cool, and I'd say that the beer may well be worth revisiting.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Nice thick cream colored head, some lacing, good retention. Very dark brown, reddish in light.

S - Roasted malts, toffe sweetness, and hops. Kind of reminds me of a hopped porter smell.

T - Much heavier on the hops than what I could smell. Nice bitter hops up front, and then finished with a roasted malt flavor. Taste like a well balanced apa that has been roasted. There is a slight metallic aftertaste though, other wise very good.

M - pretty heavy, but I think that's appropriate for the beer.

O - Good beer. Like I mentioned before I am getting a slightly metallic aftertaste, but otherwise this is a good beer. I think it is a good alternative for a hop head that likes a little more toasted flavor of a dark malty beer for a change. This offers a good in between balance. I would buy it again.

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark brown, nearly black but lifting to the light reveals a little translucence, 1 inch khaki head, good lacing

S: Dark malts, floral hops, both equally present

T: Sweet malts, caramel, bitter hops in middle, floral, chocolate comes through on back end, maybe a little coffee

M: Medium to full, velvety carbonation

O: I love this style and this beer is not the best representation Ive had but still hard to beat. I love how the chocolaty dark malts mix with the astringent hops. Glad my growler shop picked it up.

3.19/5  rDev -13.6%

I know this "Black IPA" has made some best of lists over the last year so I was quite excited to give this can a whirl. I cracked it open and dumped it into my favorite The Bruery tulip glass. Wow! This is a beautiful beer; khaki mousse-head topping a 12oz pitch-black ocean. I love how this looks!

Weak nose gives a trace of a peach cobbler; fruity. Pretty flat for a hopped black ale.

Great mouth-feel gives me hints of the dark malts but only teases. Sharp hop bitterness is the prominent attribute. As it warms I get a touch of dustiness that works well at hiding the bitterness at the finish, but it's the beers strongest (and only) flavor prominence.

For a beer I was so excited to try (and such a beauty to look at!) this beer is pretty disappointing. In comparison to other IBAs I've had I have to rate this at the mid-bottom.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

EDIT: On a second pass at this I found it way too rich. Not sure what makes it an IPA, downgraded to OK.
Original: I liked this better than any of the other Black IPAs I’ve had lately. Very session-able, balanced, roasty and toasty. Med bodied, carmel malty, good hops (but not really IPA level) and a cleanish bitter finish. Check it!

2.28/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Black with red shade. Smells like light coffee and cherry. Tastes about the same. I don't like stouts that much but this isn't too bad.

A: Thick beige head. Dark raw umber with murky muddiness at edges against the light.

S: Smoky and meaty! Surprising. A little chocolately and hoppy as well. Nice.

T: Dark. Mocha. Hoppy. bitter and mellow.

M: Smooth. Nice. Pleasantly heavy on the tongue. Nice finish.

O: I enjoy this more than their IPA. I'd probably pick up another sometime.

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Looks like a stout until you hold it up to a bright light and then, if you squint hard enough, employ a little imagination, you'll see just a slight hint of ruby highlights. It also has a great creamy tan head to it that lasts throughout.

Smell: It has that sharp IPA grape-fruity nose that I expect from this style, and the earthy dark malt and coffee aroma doesn't even try to hide itself.

Taste: Tastes somewhere in between a stout and a Scotch Ale--and that's a great place to be. This has a perfect balance to it that can't be ignored.

Mouth feel: Perfect carbonation. A little thinner than I expected body wise, but still good.

Overall: This won't be my last one.

3.46/5  rDev -6.2%

12oz can poured into sniffer.

Appearance: Stout like with nice 1' mocha head. Can see through when brought up to light.

Smell: malty dark cocoa with a slight hop resin

Taste: Taste started out malty and stayed malty. Hops were subdued to say the least. Malt dominated as I detected chocolate, slight raisins and smoke. Not sure this should be classified as a black IPA. More closely resembles a stout or porter.

Overall: Classifications aside, this is a pretty good stout and one I will have again. Just don't call it a Black IPA....not even close.

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Black with minimal head; creamy head and lacing down the glass

Smell: Faint hops

Taste: It almost smells like a porter mixed with an IPA; coffee, chocolate, and hops

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy with some hop bitterness

Drinkability: Very drinkable, it goes down smooth

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

First off, I'm loving this trend of craft beers being available in cans. But as for this Black IPA, it's pretty darn tasty. It's not as bitter or hoppy as other IPA's I have had, but still has good flavor. There's a nice malt and heaviness to the beer without being cloying or filling.

2.61/5  rDev -29.3%

Appearance: pours a surprisingly dark color, about a finger's worth or so of a fairly thick head, good amount of thick / heavy lacing remained on the glass.

Smell: a little bit of hops, I couldn't smell too much, some malt.

Taste: for an IPA I have to say I was unimpressed by the lack of overall hop taste, there was a good taste of dark malts, but overall it tasted far lighter than expected.

Mouthfeel: seemed a little watery, it was a bit too smooth in my opinion,

Drinkability: it wasn't my favorite but if you like lighter beers maybe it's for you.

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%

Served in a snifter.

A - Easy pour produced a solid inch head. Aggressive pour overflowed my glass. Wonderful black with a tan head. Looks like Guinness, but no nitro pour.

S - Deeelicious. Coffee, sweetness and citrus hops. So much goodness.

T - See above. Terrific blend of dark and roasted malts and hops. Level of bitterness and hop profile are ideal. Any more would be too hoppy for the style and any less would be too stout like.

M - Medium body. Maybe a touch more carbonation, but I am nitpicking.

D - I honestly could finish the entire 6er in one sitting. Good thing I didn't.

2.91/5  rDev -21.1%

Nose: Yeasty and biscuity. Mellow sweetness like molasses laced with grassiness to the back.

Appearance: Nearly opaque black. Sweet ruby on the edges. Big head the color of creamed coffee that sticks around.

Taste & Feel: Weird. Bready and bitter and slightly metallic. Almost soapy. Hops come in at the end, malts stay on the lips. The feel is fairly smooth.

Overall: Swing and a miss. This beer wants to be great, and I like it on uniqueness, it just misses the mark on taste. Something about it just doesn't translate.

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%

My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give this "interesting" take on an IPA, at try.

A: Poured a deep "cola" brown color with perfect clarity (once I held it up to a strong enough light to see through it) and my pour generated two fingers of caramel colored fine foam head. Lacing was evident and the head had great retention.

S: Roasted malt, caramel, maybe some floral hop in the background, but if so, it is very faint.

T: The flavor is mostly reminiscent of a porter. Roasted malt and caramel, but as I took a sip, I got a nasally blast of piny hops in my olfactory cavity.Really quite interesting. Not much else in the way of flavor profile, just a nicely roasted malty beer with a touch of hop.

M: Somewhat coating on your tongue from the roasted malt, not enough floral hop to create a cleansing crispness.

D: If your in the mood for a porter, this would be very drinkable. If you looking to enjoy a hoppy IPA then this ale probably won't cut it for you.

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

A: BLACK. Two finger head that goes away slowly after the first drink. Decent amount of lacing.

S: Smells like an IPA mainly, can tell it has the dark malts in it.

T: Pretty decent mix between an ipa and dark beer at first. Finishing taste is an ipa

D: Probably wouldn't drink this a ton but it's a pretty good beer

Back In Black from 21st Amendment Brewery