Monk's Blood - 21st Amendment Brewery

Monk's BloodMonk's Blood

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: taxguyjase on 09-10-2009)

TeamAlphaDoG, Jul 17, 2012

1.32/5  rDev -65.4%

se4, Aug 31, 2014
1.4/5  rDev -63.3%

12 oz can.

Appearance: Looks pretty good. A clear, dark ruby, almost purple. The head is light brown without much retention. Good looking beer I guess, but not for a Belgian dark.

Smell: Ugh. Is this a sour. Smells like vinegar. Sour cherries and vinegar.

Taste: Tart and vinegary. I get the sense that there's an ok beer behind it all.

Mouthfeel: Cant even tell. I need to wash my mouth out.

Drinkability: Pouring it. I tried to give it chance and kept tasting it over an hour or so. This seems like a different beer than what everyone else is reviewing, so I assume this is a bad can. How "can" that be?

rapidsequence, Jan 16, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -59.3%

A - Murkey rust color with hardly any head that immediately disappeared with hardly any lacing.

S - Has to be a bad can or something. Just smells, well, rotten. Can't pick up anything other than an offputting smell. Wow.

T - If I pinch my nose I can drink this. Not because the taste is bad, but because of the smell coming off it. I can pick up yeast, carmal, and some weird fruityness.

M - Smooth with little carbonation. Ugh, the smell.

D - Just cant get past the smell. Its horrific! Definate drain pour this can is. Very shocked. I was pretty sure I had drank this before and liked it so I went after a lone can of this. Just must have been a rotten can. This should be much lower rated, but I remember how good this was. Would probably be mostly 4's or so if I had a different can.

rudzud, Aug 10, 2010
1.98/5  rDev -48%

12oz can

App: Deep red-hued mahogany. Fairly cloudy. Fluffy tan head, but minimal lace.

Smell: Really not much going on here despite all of the ingredients. Some caramel, some roast malt, some herbal hops, and strong alcohol, but all this only if i dive my nose deep into the glass.

Taste: Again, not much going on here. Starts slightly fruity with a strong alcoholic bite. Ends with a solid earthiness from the herbal hops and coffee/toffee roasted malts.

Rather watery, slippery mouthfeel.

I wanted to like this beer. It sounded so good!

emsroth, Apr 21, 2010

KCFaninPA, Aug 14, 2014

bigred89, Dec 03, 2011

osuskin, Apr 27, 2014

ChrisKayler, Aug 14, 2014

BMos, May 15, 2014

mxchap, May 21, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -44.9%

On draught at the Collins Pub, served in a small chalice, Monk's Blood is dark ruby with a small off-white head that leaves very light nice lace.

Smell is rich, sweet, dates and prune. Some is off, what is the FG of this, like 1.040??

Taste is similar, too sweet though for my taste in the style, and lacking esters. The alcohol creeps out a bit too much.

Mouthfeel is semi-dry, medium bodied, lacking digestibility.

Drinkability is on the lower side style wise. I knew I'd had this before and didn't like it, and am wondering why I bothered again. Fail.

ccrida, Mar 25, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -43.6%

A complete mess in a can. No direction or idealistic approach. Ugh.

Was really looking forward to can release given recipe and idea...horrendous execution and still contract brewed! Why!? Done supporting this movement.

Boozy, hazy, iPad like with some cinnamon added. Painful to finish, first dump of 2012!

Blackboardbrewing, Mar 17, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

Zbeetleman, May 15, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/11/11.

A-Pours a ruby-hued brown color with two fingers of off white head.

S-Smells of vanilla and cinnamon spices with oaky and dark fruit notes.

T-Cinnamon and very overpowering dark fruit notes with some cheap cognac notes.

M-Medium bodied with very drying and hot alcohol notes that linger in the mouth and throat; low level of carbonation.

D-Pretty rough, and very alcoholic beer that's just not my thing.

samie85, Jun 24, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

12oz can into a tulip.

Appearance: Careful pour yields a one and a half inch, bubbly, off-white head that dissipates slowly leaving splotchy lacing. Pours hazy dark amber, and leaves sparse lacing.

Smell: Dull, 1-note malt sweetness. Smells like a bad Euro pale lager. Probably should give it a 1.

Taste: Mildly sugary, with a kind of tangy and sour flavor that manages to have almost no character at all. Finish a little dry. At first there's some apple up front, which comes to be a little dominant as the beer warms (in other words, the beer starts to taste a bit like apple juice). There's some alcohol heat in the finish. Too often tastes like it smells (bad). Occasionally has a decent, sweet taste reminiscent of okay Belgian ales.

Mouthfeel: Rather carbonated, and between light and medium bodied (closer to light). Most sips are decidedly chalky, which is pretty disgusting.

Drinkability: This beer is unremarkable and unpleasant. I've had it twice to make sure. The second can was difficult to finish.

One of the worst Belgian style beers I've ever had. Worse than Leffe Blonde (which I hate), and insultingly priced at $3 a can--I wouldn't pay $3 for a 6pack of this. In fact, had I gotten this as a 4- or 6-pack, I would probably have sent most of it back to the brewery with an angry letter.

Pahn, Apr 26, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -37%

Rekrule, May 24, 2014
2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

A: Pours an odd dark burgundy color. Very hazy appearance when held up to a light. Minimal off white head that dies off quickly. No lacing.

S: Doesn't have much of a nose. What is there is an odd sour smell with dark fruits/figs. It also has a very weird damp cardboard smell.

T: Dark fruits, cherries and figs. A little earthiness in the mix too. Slightly sour grape taste near the finish. A slight spice to it too, probably from the cinnamon. Slight alcohol ting at the end. Odd taste that was off putting at first, but it grew on me a little by the end.

M/D: Medium to lighter mouthfeel. Somewhat smooth, carbonation is average. Drinkability isn't the best, it just doesn't do much for me. Its worth a try, but I won't be trying this again.

herman77, Apr 27, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

Pours a deep, dark amber brown. Shows reddish when held to the light. A decent but not amazing amount of off-white head that recedes rather quickly but leaves good lacing.

Smell is a whole lotta sweet malt, figs, some Belgian-y yeast, and a bit of spice. Solid, but not super complex. Good enough that I'm definitely excited to taste it, but not so good that I'm convinced it'll be delicious. There's something hiding there in the background that doesn't feel quite right - an over-sweetness, or a touch of unpleasant bitter.

Taste is not so good. It starts out well enough, with caramel malts, brown sugar, some dark fruit. But then a sharpness comes in, a bit of acrid bitterness, that really doesn't go well with the other flavors in the beer. This flavor dominates the finish, and lingers beyond its welcome. Very un-smooth. And sadly, as it warms up and I taste it more, it just gets worse. This is the second beer I've had recently that reminded me of cough syrup. Fortunately, there are some good tastes in there, and the bad ones aren't totally overpowering.

Mouthfeel is okay; a bit syrupy, medium-bodied, light on the carbonation, holds the flavors in the mouth well. The only problem is, those flavors it holds in the mouth (especially the finish) are just bad.

This came damn near to being a drain-pour (in fact, I drain-poured the last quarter - a first for me). I continued on with the beer more to document exactly why I dislike it. Blech. The bitterness in the latter half of the flavor really kills this beer. I do NOT plan on drinking this again.

zeledonia, May 02, 2011