Monk's Blood | 21st Amendment Brewery

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by taxguyjase on 09-10-2009

Reviews: 514 | Ratings: 1,367
3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a deep red with a small amount of tan head, which dissipates to a ring around the edge of the glass with some spotty surface film.

S: Sweet and lightly boozy, with notes of dark fruit.

T: Also sweet and a bit boozy, leading into some amount of yeast and astringent notes.

M: Medium to full body, medium carbonation.

Overall, quite pleasant. I probably wouldn't get a lot of this, but it's a bit different and certainly worth a try.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark coppery brown in the Gulpener tulip. Quite sudsy in the mouth. The aroma is really unusual. It's a fruit candy smell, or something like cranberry fudge.

This is on the sweet side with an expansive cedar wood flavor. The flavorings are hardly restrained, and it does taste like Fig Newtons. Sugar and spice and a cookie dough flavors. Brown sugar and fruitcake soaked in sweet wine. It's the citrus and vanilla aromatics of Cuarante Y Tres liqueur.

Spicy dessert in a bottle. The vanilla seems to get stronger as the Belgian yeast works on it. Fairly dry at the finish, but the next sip starts out just as sugary. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle.

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Can from 2012 at the brewery, San Francisco.
Muddy oxblood with tan film.
Barrel, candy sugar, rum, and cherry stones on the nose.
Brown sugar, a flash of vanilla, spicy warmth, cream soda, and fig chutney.
Brandy finish and sweet linger.
Med-full, chewy, round.

Two years on this and it’s way mellow and smooth. Don’t so much get figs, but good balance of sugar and spice. Broad strokes of a Belgian more than nuance, but solid and moreish.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

I first developed a taste for Monk’s Blood during a judging competition -- I was ranking brews for a medal round at the 2014 AmeriCAN Canned Craft Beer Festival. As the tasting was blind, I didn’t know what the beer was at the time. All I knew was that, as soon as that beer hit my lips, it was love. The brew reminded me of candy I had devoured when younger, though I couldn’t -- and still can’t -- determine what kind of candy it was. Those caramel-coated green apple suckers, maybe? Fig Newtons? It was something sweet and delicious, anyway -- much like this beer.

Beneath an aroma replete with fig and sweet cherry, caramel and maple, we get a flavor that leads with candy sugar, oaky vanilla and fig before giving way to green apple, bread crust and booze in a slightly drying finish. I like to let the glass warm a bit, as the malt sweetness that makes this beer so unique and tasty becomes more apparent with heat.

Poured a deep slightly cloudy ruby with a short lasting tan head that hangs on around the circumference of the glass. The aroma is sweet and fruity with a hint of spice. The taste is also sweet and fruity, this time with more distinct notes of cherry and a little vanilla. The mouthfeel is thick and smooth, with a silky finish. This is a very good, moderately complex, Belgian dark ale.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

a 12oz. can poured into a snifter.

A- a murky mahogany, with a thin off white head.

S- Big sweetness. Lots of dark fruit, some spice and the booze is certainly there.

T- Big dark fruit notes, fig, raisin, bing cherries, some light cinnamon and vanilla notes. Booze is there on the finish as well as some closing hop bitterness.

M- medium to full, generally a tad abrasive on the palette from alcohol and drying of the hops.

A- a good, but not great stab at a belgian dark

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-pours a dark chestnut with a fingers worth of khaki colored head

S-caramel malt, dark fruit sweetness, vanilla, and light cocoa

T-a caramel malt backbone, vanilla, dark fruits, and some light cinnamon spice

M-medium body, moderate carbonation

Overall a good beer, not an amazing representation of the style though. Goes down pretty easy.

3.36/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into Cantillon glass.

Reddish-brown color. Dark. Small-medium head, "very off-white."

Strong smell of caramel, some spices (e.g., cinnamon).

Taste is sweet, with caramel, raisins, figs, liquorice, cinnamon, etc. Medium-heavy body. Sweet stickiness remains on lips, despite aftertaste being fairly clean.

A bit too spicy and sweet for me, but it's an OK beer, in terms of complexity. Think of it as a strong, spiced dubbel.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color was that of cognac with a fingers worth of thin foam for a cap.

The nose is peppery with a dried fruit, plum and cola nut like aroma.

The flavor is dry, spicy and peppery with cinnamon, anise and caraway. The overall body of flavor has a fig and plum like taste.

The feel is dry but smooth, a bit sparkly on the tongue but very nice.

This is particularly diverse, certainly different and definitely original. Unfortunately it's not my favorite flavors but for all its nuance it deserves a high score.

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can poured into a standard snifter

A: Looking straight through it, it is nearly opaque. Dark amber and brown from above. Slight lacing. Minimal collar and head. Thin head on the swirl.

S: Smells like cherries. Slightly sweet. I don't get much outside of that. I can smell that it is just from the figs, Belgian yeast and candi sugar, but man does it smell fruity.

T: Weird flavors here. Lots of Belgian candi sugar and Belgian characteristics. It's good, but a bit too dry for me. Slightly tart and funky, just a bit fruity. Nice lingering slight sweet/tart cherry flavor.

M: Lots of carbonation, but it dies down and mellows out.

O: I had heard a lot of good things about this and that it had just returned. Interesting and a bit different from similar beers of this style. Still good, just not my cup of tea, but this style usually is.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Deep red/mahogany color. Only poured about 1/2 finger of head, but had good lacing.

S- Vanilla, fig, grape, and oak dominate. Orange, spice, and the slightest touch of booze as accents.

T- All kinds of things going on. Grape, caramel, raisin, earthy hop, spice, rum, vanilla, yeast, citrus, and cinnamon. I was enjoying it too much to give a detailed report...

M- Medium body with light viscous qualities. Virtually no aftertaste.

O- I really enjoyed this beer. It was one of those I was too busy saying "damn that's good" to concentrate too deeply on the order of things going on. I'm already planning on going back and buying more.

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark reddish brown, almost purple. Thin film of foam remains throughout, leaving solid lacing.

Smells of sweet plum and oak. Faint hint of alcohol.

Subtle favors. Vanilla, oak, dark cherries, toffee.

Heavy carbonation carries what otherwise feels like a watery beer.

Pretty good take on a Belgian abbey beer.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - can (3/3/14) to tulip, big off white head, dark brown with dark red hue
S - bready, leather
T - dark fruits, cinnamon, sweet malts, some toffee
M - medium carb and body. Silky smooth
O - pretty good drinkable dark Belgian enjoying the hint of spices. Would be great for a cold winter night

2.96/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Can poured into a standard pint glass. Nice rusty amber color, with 1-1-/2 finger off white head that quickly dissipated. Zero lacing left on the glass as the head fell.
S- Standard Abby aroma's dark dried fruit, some spicy notes from the yeast, sweet, fruity, hint of oak and vanilla. Pleasant smelling beer!
T- something is off... I found this beer very astringent! I get roasted malt, dark fruits, a little warmth from the alcohol, there is oak and vanilla present as well.
M- nice bite from the carbonation. Not evervecent like a saison or blonde but done well.
O- I have had this beer in years past and it has always been a pleaser for me until this year. I had to grab a 4 pack since it wasn't available in 2013. I don't know if 21st just dropped the ball or I got a bad 4 pack. This beer tasted like a crappy home brewed Abby. I don't know if they fermented warm, if the mash PH was off or if the oak was over done. Astringent , tannins, I don't know but it wasn't the beer I remember in the past.

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

been waiting a while to try this one, 21st did not can this one last year or if they did none ever made it to MN.

Pours very dark brown with a half inch off white head that dissipates rather quick, doesn't look like there's a ton of carbonation to it, hopefully it stays true to that in the mouthfeel for my sake. Smells very fruity, tons of bananas on the nose! Smells delish, also some ripe dark fruits - plums and grapes, smell kind of jammy, some slight malty breadiness as well.
Taste is great! All of what you pick up in the aroma translates to the flavors, the banana does not come through nearly as much in the flavor as the nose but still noticeable, great example of a Belgian dark, 21st does it again! I'll be buying a 4 pack of this guys for sure!

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

pours pretty brown. all the flavors come through in this beer, and everything listen on the can, vanilla, fig, all blended well. sweeter than i prefer, and not getting the bite that I usually am tickled by. it does have its own character, a nice variation of a Belgian dark ale. unique

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

*Edit* I got about 2 fingers of head with my second pour. Disappated quickly with light lacing. Upped the appearance to reflect.

Picked up a 4 pack of cans at Bier:thirty in Bown Crossing. They should have it on tap soon, I'd like to try it on draught.

A- Dark red brown, no head. I suspect a dirty glass when I look at other reviews. Dinged because of the lack of head, I'll edit if the next one pours with head. *edit* see top of review.

S- Belgian fruit, fig and vanilla, some higher alcohols.

T- Flavor is unexpectedly mild. Fig and dark fruit initially, vanilla is very strong in the middle. Has a boozy finish. Not bad

M- Medium body, some malt syrupyness, carbonation pretty high, within style.

O- Solid beer, I was a bit disappointed as I'm a big fan of 21st Ammendment and the style. I was expecting an excellent beer, but this is only very good. I will buy again if I see it.

4.18/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark red, actually looks a bit like coagulated blood, with a mocha head. Good for halloween I guess.

S: Grape, lemon and vanilla in an interesting nose.

T: Cherry and grape are the dominant flavors and it is delicious. Some orange rind and fruity Belgian yeast esters are present as well.

M: Medium-full bodied and smooth.

O: Delicious and well worth a try. If you can find it, try it.

3.16/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Can: Poured a dark burgundy color ale with a large light brown foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma consists of dry figs with quite a bit of residual sugar and some caramelized malt. Taste is also dominated by caramelized malt with too much residual sugar and some dry figs. Body is about average with good carbonation and light apparent alcohol. I thought this one was lacking balance with too much residuals sugar. It could be my mind playing tricks but I prefer my Belgian ale bottle conditioned not in cans.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into DFH signature glass. Canned on 3-26-12.

Appearance: Hazy, dark reddish-brown, 1/2 finger head, some lacing, not much, some sediment chunks falling to the bottom. Hmmm..

Aroma: Here we go...cinnamon, oak, vanilla, fig, raisin, caramel, dark fruit, some banana and clove from the yeast, sweet malts, not much alcohol.

Taste: Sweet malts, caramel, light cocoa, oak, fig, vanilla, banana, clove, spices, again not much alcohol in the taste if any.

Body: Pretty rich, almost like a good scotch ale.

Finish: Oak, fig, caramel and some chocolate. Overall its pretty amazing stuff. I think I like it better fresh though. I don't think that this improved any with age. But at 8.3%, I don't think it was really meant to age.

A-dark red brown color with a decent light tan head and some lacing

S-dark fruit, brown sugar, milk chocolate, hint of pepper and cinnamon

T-dark fruit, roasted malt, toffee, chocolate, pepper, cinnamon, mild bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth and slightly creamy

O-a nice sipping ale, has a good mix of flavors, would be interesting to barrel age this

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I like 21st Amendment brewery and have enjoyed most of their beers that I have sampled, this is one of their top contenders in my book.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, deep mahogany color with a frothy head. Fair amount of sediment that appears after poured. Thin line of retention while drinking and minimal lacing.

Smell: Malty and sweet. Dark fruits like figs or raisins.

Taste: Sweet, very malty, caramel, light on the oak flavor, a little fruity.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied, carbonated and crisp.

Overall: I liked this beer immediately upon trying it and would definitely drink again. The high alcohol content adds a kick, but the flavor is not compromised, and I find it a nice unique flavor that is enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

I've been aging cans of this beer for the last two years. I finally opened the last can today. My last can (at 18 months of aging) was really impressive.

I poured this beer into a chalice.

I enjoy the aroma coming off this beer. I like the sweet smell and raisins from the top of Monk's Blood.

The flavor is really good. The richness makes for a good sipper. You get more of the dark fruit in the body.

21st Ammendment made a good brew in Monk's Blood.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a tulip glass, it pours a dark chestnut color w/ hints of ruby red. A 1-finger thick tan dense head forms on top quickly and slowly dissipates to a very nice surface layer w/ some lacing on the glass.

Heavy on the plums with some brown sugar...very sweet on the nose. Some spices also come through as well, but not as apparent. Cherries also to accompany the plums.

Sipping reveals a very interesting flavor. Much more malty and "nutty" than expected. The fruits come through (plums or cherries) but not tart as thought. Some biscuits come through as well w/ the yeast flavor. Alcohol burn is there for sure on the swallow as well as a very flavorful aftertaste.

Big bodied brew w/ some nice carbonation balance and a nice burn on the finish. Maybe more burn than hoped for on the finish, but the feel is overall nice!

Overall, I love 21st Amendment, but honestly as much as I like the dark belgian style, this is not one of my favorites. I tend to enjoy some of their other offerings a bit more. Not a bad brew to say the least, but I was slightly disappointed for $12 for a 4 pack.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Head poured thick but fell back quickly leaving nice lace. Liquid is a nice dark color. Served in a chalice from a can.

S - Like any great dark Belgian, strong notes of dark fruits and spice

T - Like the smell, it does not disappoint. Raisins and clove foremost plus candy sugars, other spices I can't identify and dark fruit flavors throughout.

M - Medium to light mouthfeel, maybe a bit thinner than I'm used to from the style.

O - One of the better US made Belgians. Particularly impressive coming from a can. Strong heavy flavors make it a great sipping beer and not very sessionable.

Monk's Blood from 21st Amendment Brewery