Monk's Blood - 21st Amendment Brewery

Monk's BloodMonk's Blood

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: taxguyjase on 09-10-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,218 | Reviews: 503
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

So a coworker bought a 4 pack of this based on how cool the can looked. He hated it so he gave me the remaining 3.

Poured from a can into a snifter.

Pours a lighter shade of brown with a redish hue with a small tan head.
Smells of cherry vanilla and oak with some slight alcohol burn.
Tastes strongly of belgian yeast cinnamon and dark fruits with a nice oak aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is pretty on point for the style.
Overall pretty good beer, I don't think I have seen many belgian style beers in cans. Pretty suprising.

3.36/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a murky amber brown with a two finger tan head that falls to a cap with some lace.

Aroma is dark fruity malts some cherry hints with light spice. Overall seems little subdued for the style.

Taste is brown sugary malt with some dark fruits and spicy alcohol notes and light vanilla hints. Not really bad but then again not very complex or exciting either.

Mouthfeel is good medium body with descent level of carbonation.

Overall eh worth a try, I know I have been wanting to try it, but wont be trying it again.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

Review from notes: 3/29/11

A - Very dark amber in color. 1/2 inch tan foam fades quickly. Appears quite bubbly.

S - Spicy, yeasty, fruity, boozy. Figs and cinnamon are noted, and a touch of vanilla, but no real oak is apparent. Very sweet from the malts, little to no hops are present, as I expected.

T - Not the greatest tasting example of a BSDA, but they did a nice job here. The spices and additives to this beer actually mingle fairly well to produce a nice Americanized version of this ale. Fruity and sweet, spicy and phenolic at the same time. There is a touch of warming booze on the back end, but nothing offensive or anything.

M - A little bubbly for my liking, but definitely on par for the style.

Overall, a good beer that I look forward to having next year. Just disappointed that I only picked up one 4 pack.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Mahogony in color with a tannish top to it. Somewhat thicker in appearance.

S: Sweetness. Vanilla blended nicely with dark cherries, plums, malty with sugar...brown sugar...

T: Sweet like the smell. The darker fruits come through sprinkled with sugar, malt on top. Tasts like a Belgian out of can..Interesting :)

M: Tad lighter than I thought, but still decent. Medium bodied, soft beer.

O: Likeable! I have a couple more in the fridge in which I'll enjoy or introduce to a friend..

3.57/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a medium brown-red with a thin tan head that does not linger long. A few bubbles rising at the edges. Big oak cinnamon aroma with brown apple, clove, and prune. Taste is again oak with bourbony alcohol, brown apple, and Fig Newton. This beer is just a bit syrupy, warming, and a little spicy. Not a bad rendition although one is plenty.

Never been too impressed with 21st Amendment's stuff, but had to pick this up. If nothing else, the name alone merits a try. Can into Belgian glass.

Pours a dark murky brown with a thick and creamy beige head. Carbonation eventually fizzles out but quickly returns with a swirl of the glass.

Nose is full of dark fruit, mainly plum with some pretty viscous surrounding spices. Very prevalent vanilla and cinnamon aromas. A lot going on here...

Tastes just as the nose leads on. Dark fruit and malt sugary sweetness up front, leading way into some vanilla spiciness. Finishes off boozy warm with a kick of... figs? I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but that's what it is according to the label. Interesting finish that grows on me as the beer warms. Definitely most enjoyable at cellar temp.

Medium bodied with nice carbonation. Slick mouth feel with a slight, but not overpowering alcohol presence. One in a night is probably enough for me.

Overall, a nice offering. Not the greatest thing ever made, but a solid and creative American Belgian, especially for the price point. The fact that it's sold in a can earns bonus points, but please use a glass. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Reddish brown with a head that was about 2 fingers wide.

S: Fruity, bit of an oak scent. Smells boozy, definitely made my nostrils flare a bit but in a way I liked.

T: Boom! Starts of with a fruity spicy kick that then goes a bit malty and finishes off with a bite. I really enjoyed the boozy kick to this beer. It was noticeable but not overpowering.

M: Nice medium body. Good carbonation.

O: one I always pick up as soon as it is released. Very enjoyable and a good beer to have every now and then.

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Pouring a cellar temp can into a pint glass. The beer pours a deep mahogany hue and gives some garnet highlights on the edges of the glass.
Fluffy beige head of 1 cm foams up and fades gradually through the sampling.
Aroma is rich and malty with some brown sugar and a bit of general sweet spiciness maybe a bit of vanilla and definitely some dark fruit. The nose isnt overpowering but is appealing.
First sip reveals an average body and fine tingly carbonation.
Flavor is malt from start to finish with some funky spice and a bit of booze on the very end of the swallow.
Flavors from brown sugar plums, and figs are prevelant with a bit of warming booze coming through at the end.
No hop presence detected anywhere that I can detect and the beer is very nice to drink. I wish I had more than the 4 pack of cans of this tasty brew.

3.66/5  rDev -3.9%

A -- Decent 1 finger head that dissipates at a medium/quick pace, beautiful deep redish brown.

S -- Smells like a Belgian (beer not person). Yeast, Yeast, Yeast, maybe a hint of Oak in the scent.

T/M- Oak. Yeast. Alcohol. A slight hint of the cinnamon but that may be a subliminal plant from the label. Not a lot of Carbonation, but still a very pleasant beer. I want to say it has an almost bourbon like tone and quality though I know its just a neutral oak chip, it may be the cinnamon playing with the oak creating that illusion.

O -- This is a pretty healthy beer, very drinkable for the 8.3% ABV, definitely worth seeking out and giving it a shot.

PP (Price Point) - Picked it up for $8.79 for a four pack in a box, though the place I purchased it from it usually about %15 off of average retail amounts. Definitely delivers, proper quality and ABV bang for the buck!

2.61/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Red/ brown with a white head. Faded pretty fast.

S- Vanilla, chocolate, dark fruits, and oak. Cherry too but mostly dark fruits. Kinda pruney plum smell.

T- Like a dark fruit cocktail with dark chocolate shavings. I didn't get much Belgian from this beer but did get a ton of the dark fruits. The alcohol was really evident in this and had a burn to it which I did not care for.

M- Moderately carbonated and crisp.

O- I did not enjoy this beer and will not get it again. The kicker for me - the alochol was too in my face and the burn was annoying.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

A- a brownish red with a small off white head that fades pretty quickly.

S- vanilla, artificial cherries, rum, really sweet.

T- I can do the beer geek thing where I say it tastes like oak, figs, rum, vanilla, spice, and dark fruit...but honestly, the biggest flavor I'm getting here is cherry tootsie pop (before the chocolate). The other qualities are still there, but really, I keep wondering how many sips does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

O- a good beer that is quite good tasting, but suffers from being a little one dimensial. It is really, really sweet, and doesn't give me many Belgian qualities.

2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/11/11.

A-Pours a ruby-hued brown color with two fingers of off white head.

S-Smells of vanilla and cinnamon spices with oaky and dark fruit notes.

T-Cinnamon and very overpowering dark fruit notes with some cheap cognac notes.

M-Medium bodied with very drying and hot alcohol notes that linger in the mouth and throat; low level of carbonation.

D-Pretty rough, and very alcoholic beer that's just not my thing.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Cryptic as it may sound, this oddly named beer fit right in with the evening’s main course, lamb.

Little on the nose, but like a bowl of boozy hard candies bathed in a home-made marmalade as it hit my tongue. Bitterness followed a cherry-soured, burnt sugar sweetness.

Decent offering, and my favorite yet of the three variants by 21st Amendment I’ve consumed thus far. Perfect for a random cool spring night out by the grill, but I couldn’t see making this a staple.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Beer pours a hazy walnut brown with a small off white head.

Cinnamon and vanilla dominate the nose with some fruity deep malt.

Flavor is slightly sweet with the vanilla and cinnamon and even a bit of the figs on the back end. Very creamy mouthfeel.

I have had this beer a couple of times now, at the brewery and at home out of the can. I found that it is actually a nice beer to pair a cigar with as well.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Pours a very hazy deep reddish brown with a quarter inch of off white head after a pretty aggressive pour. The head dissipates quickly.
Smell: Smells of Belgian yeasts blending with malt and cinnamon.
Taste: Strong cinnamon flavor that fades but never really leaves the taste buds, the cinnamon blends well with the Belgian yeast flavor but maybe a little over powered by it.
Mouthfeel: I like how the beer feels in the mouth it is thick but still flows around the tongue beautifully.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Deep burnt orange color and nearly opaque. The dark color is matched by a beautiful and thick off-white head that likes to stick around. The smell is extremely interesting, with bananas coming to mind first followed by deep dark roasted malts, tobacco leaves and booze.

Taste is full-bodied and creamy in the mouthfeel. Touches of warming alcohol in the taste are present after dark roasty malts and caramel. Hops just barely add a smidge of balance that works well for the style. The taste I've noticed in other Begian styles, the belgian yeast strain, is present in this one and adds a uniqueness to this that sets it apart from other strong ales I've had. Good beer, doesn't disappoint for fans of 21st Amendment brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. can that I bought as part of a 4 pack for $8.99 from World Wines & Liquor in Mentor a few weeks ago into my Brewery Ommegang gold rimmed Westvleteren style goblet. My favorite “group” of beers are the Trappists so I am sucker for anything related to “monks” I guess. Who knows, this could be my new favorite beer from a can (although it will have to quite something to replace Oskar Blues Ten Fidy).

A Nice fluffy brown head over a dark caramel, mahogany body that looks in the neighborhood of a blood color. Good, solid look. 4.0

S Somewhat distant Belgian yeast and lightly sweet malt scent. I expect those notes to really come through in the taste, however. I like the smell since it reminds me of a mature version of the style, not trying too hard. 4.0

T Very, very good indeed. The light sweetness to the nose now presents as a solid force in the taste but the sweetness is a nice earthy sweetness with hints of the cinnamon, vanilla and oak chips mentioned on the front of the can. All of it just really works. I cannot understand how the taste of this beer can be improved. Bravo! 5.0

M Very nice thickness which you would expect from the style. Again, good for this category. 4.0

D Well I simply cannot taste the 8.3% ABV if that tells you anything. I could have 3 or 4 of these with ease. 4.5

Notes: I will certainly need to try more from this brewery (this was my first) due to the excellent presentation that this one showed me tonight. I think that it is a bargain at this price too!

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

I picked this up at wegmans only regular 21 a beer I had not tried.
The pour on this quad or strong ale is good as to be expected opaque ruddy rubby come crayon brown. there is substantial light tan head that disapates into a halo of bubbles and a few clumps of head
The smell is heavy in Belgiun yeast spice malty sugary syrup smell very quad like.
The taste of Monks Blood is sweet dark fruits such plums and raisins flood my mouth the yeast spice is very subdued clashing with the mulled sweetness of the malts and hint of figs. I am not detecting much oak or vanilla. There is good mouthfeel and I find this a very drinkable strong ale. Definitely worth picking up a few to explore.

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearance: Finger off white shaving cream thick head, Hazy Dark Brown (About a 27 SRM), Nice Lacing

Nose: Medium Roasted, Woody, Yeasty, Grape, Dark Fruit, Funky (The good belgian kind), spiced rum

Taste: Wow. Roasted Malt, Spicy, Dark Fruit (strong prune), Black Berries, Rum soaked Vanilla, Yeasty, Earthy, Peppery, Boozy, Funky (again, the good kind), Woody, Good Carb, Hop is clearly not the key player and theres just enough to round it out and I don't mind at all.

Final Thoughts: Wow. Alot going on in this. Alot. I was a little scared for this because of the lack of head, even though the head was a nice one despite size, but this is an amazing beer. I would drink this until my final breath. This has to be one of my favorites. Home run. Fireworks. Standing Applause. It might not be for everyone, but it sure is for me.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from the can into a tulip glass

A- Pours a cherry wood color (reddish brown) with a two and a half finger yellowish-brown head with lots of tiny bubbles. The head dissipated rapidly and left little lacing.

S- Dark fruit (raisin, fig), alcohol, cherry, and the slightest bit of vanilla

T- Dark fruit, mildly sour cherry notes, rock candy sugar, the alcohol lets itself me known, and some indistinct bitterness

M- A little syrupy and sticky, but has pretty decent carbonation to get it from being too cloyingly sweet and syrupy

O- I enjoyed this beer, it had quite the alcohol kick that I was not expecting, it let itself be known but it was not too much. I was hoping for some yeasty aromas and flavors to show up in this beer a little, but there were absent. Overall a pretty unique beer that kept me interested in this brewery.

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Deep amber brownish color. Just under two fingers of beige, creamy head with below average retention and a decent sized ring of lacing.

3.0 S: Cocoa, caramel, prune, fig, raisin, and vanilla. The cinnamon is detectable and not overdone, but I don't think it helps. The yeast gives off a slight peppery spiciness. Overall, it isn't that bad, but there is something I don't care for. It's as if the aromas are muddled and antagonistic with each other. I think the cinnamon is the main culprit here.

3.5 T: The taste is like the nose, but omits what I don't like about it. Cocoa, caramel, dark fruits, vanilla, and light cinnamon. Again, peppery yeast. This is a little more bitter than I'd care for.

3.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. I'd prefer the carbonation to be spritzier than it is and creamier as well.

3.0 D: This isn't horrible, but it is solidly average. I think the adjuncts might have taken away from what would have been a better beer.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a Belgian strong ale reminiscent of a barleywine. Malt is the dominant taste, but the mouthfeel is a bit thin for a barleywine. 8.3% doesn't seem a terribly high abv to me, but this feels boozier than it is. The beer is aged with oak and brewed with vanilla, cinnamon, and figs. The nose is whiskey and raisins. I can't distinguish whether the faint vanilla taste comes from the oak or the vanilla or both, but it's subtle and goes well with the malt, even if this is sweeter than it could have been. Only the cinnamon feels out of place here. It's in the background, but it has a sharp spiciness to it that contradicts the otherwise smooth richness of the other flavors here.
Usually it's only popular styles with lower abvs - wheat beers, IPAs, etc. - that I see canned. It's always exciting to see a rarer style canned and ready for a hike.

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

My first craft can! Poured into a pint.

Nice pour, brownish amber, tan head that fades to not much of a film. No real lace.

Aroma's of malts, toasted grains, cane sweet barralness.

Taste of caramel malts, cane sugar, slight alcohol followed by earthy base.

Mouthfeel thins abit, most likely the metal tinge of the can.

Overall, very much suprised and enjoyed, would buy again. Nice abv. touch.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a dark ruby red. Nice dark head. Aroma is boozy with dried fruits and a bit of funk. Flavor is very inviting. Dark cherries and booze with a bit of sour funk as well. Each sip warms the mouth and adds different flavors such as vanilla, plum and sour fruit. It ends just a little bitter which helps balance out the sweet fruit taste. This is a really nice brew. Best beer from a can I have ever had!

4.51/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: Heavy amber with a thick haze

Head: Nice frosty dark tan head

Smell: Heavy sweet malt, coriander is there with some heat

Taste: Get some heat right off the bat that turns into a rich malty layer with a subtle bitter hop

Weight: Light body with a high to medium carbonation

Finish: Bit of a dry on the end with a rich maltyness and back notes of a subtle bitter hop. Very sticky on the lips

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Monk's Blood from 21st Amendment Brewery