Monk's Blood - 21st Amendment Brewery

Monk's BloodMonk's Blood

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: taxguyjase on 09-10-2009)

I am not usually a fan of dark beers but this Ale was surprisingly delicious. The notes of vanilla and figs added to the malty sweetness of this delicious brew. A higher ABV than expected, these cans pack a punch. Definitely worth a try

NinjaJesus, Sep 25, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Bought my lil bro a 4-pack for his birthday, shamelessly expecting that I would be offered a can. Needless to say, he delivered. The packaging -- a 4-pack of cans sealed in a rough cardboard cube -- is quirky, unpolished, and attractive.

Cracked open the can and poured it into a large snifter-type glass. The color was brown and dark amber, with the occasional lighter caramel hue. About two fingers of head formed and quickly dissipated to practically nothing. There was little to no lacing as the glass emptied, but nice legs streaked down the glass.

A sweet, roasted aroma wafted from the glass. The sweet includes both fruit notes -- at first I thought of apricot, but the can reveals it was probably fig -- and candied scents that were caramel-esque. The roastiness softened these sweet tones.

The roasted malts were the highlight of the first sip, the sweeter tones coming in the back. The sweetness overcame the roasted flavors quickly, by the third or fourth sip. The same fruit qualities of the nose come through in the mouth. What I thought was something caramel-like in the aroma feels more like vanilla on the tongue. By the end of the glass, the sweetness has really become too much -- creating a sugary thickness on the back of my tongue. This is really a warming type of beer, perfect for a comfy winter evening.

The almost sickly sweetness dominates the mouthfeel, building throughout the glass. The roasted malt flavors are present all over the tongue.

This brew is a little too sweet for me to enjoy more than one or two on any given night. The fruits and spices and vanilla all make it feel like late fall or early winter, somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would gladly sip another sometime when the weather cools down.

zhooker, Jun 08, 2010

Dchou, Jun 08, 2014

Jsproat, Sep 18, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

joelparker, Aug 28, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

SethK, Jul 17, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Mmmm. Been looking forward to this since I read about it a few months back on 21st's website. $9 for a four-pack from my ever-reliable S&N Package.

Can with 1038 0630 marked on the bottom. I guess I should really be enjoying this from the can, but I couldn't help but pouring into my Duvel goblet.

Nice plummy/brownish tinge to fit the profile. Some carbonation with average lacing. The one to two fingers of foam lingers for a little while, but eventually evaporates.

Hints of figs, vanilla, candy sugar, and bourbon on the nose.

The taste tells me up front that while not Belgian, 21st has done their homework. That forward banana flavor and maltiness is unmistakable. Taking my time to savor the sips here. Their Fireside Chat left a bad taste in my mouth (literally) so I'm happy to find their next offering to be more to my liking.

The texture is smooth and the alcohol balances nicely. Not too heavy, but you can taste the ABV for sure.

*Very* drinkable. Just my luck that there are some really nice Belgian style craft brews out right now, because if I polish off too many of these, I can always get something else.

Well done, 21'st. Keep brewing this one.

Groucho75, Mar 07, 2011

STG228, Mar 01, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

wilkowski, Apr 01, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +25%

Zombill, Jun 25, 2014
3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz can poured into snifter glass

Appearance: Finger thick head that dissipates quickly does cling to the side as I drink down the glass. Black, but with ruby highlights when held to the light.

Smell: Spicy, I get some cinnamon and nutmeg i think. A lot of darker fruits (plums and raisins.)

Taste: The spicy from the nose definitely comes through. It apparently has oak chips in there somewhere (according to the can) but I don't taste those at all. I get a lot of the fruit and some caramel now too. It's caramel, spicy and fruit all the way. It's nice. Alcohol warmth is quite present as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium full. Carbonation is definitely present in this one. Feels a bit slick too, not sure what that's from.

Overall: Quite good. Wouldn't be pounding these back all night but it's great for what it is.

BrianBoruma, May 14, 2011

cwalter, Jun 10, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

A - deep burgundy/maroon/crimson. gets extra points for looking, in a weird way, kind of like a glass of blood. A small head appears and rescinds quickly (I can't get my head around cracking/pouring cans correctly...)

S - based on the ingredients listed on the can, would say the nose picked up most of the fig and vanilla notes...

T - and the palate got the oak and cinnamon. All in all the fruity, spicy bouquet comes out nicely.

M - smooth and thick, in the way a good belgian strong dark should be

D - one definitely wasn't enough. not even sure a four pack will be enough. I could drink this all night.

vdoz3, Dec 27, 2009
2.71/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - pours a darker brown slight ruby when held to light. Some dark gold. Nice looking in glass.

S - raisin, plum, spice. Good, nothing jumps out.

T - alcohol, some raisin, some grape, mostly alcohol

M - again alcohol. Not well hidden, warming, but not inviting

O - to each his own, totally missed the mark for me. Far better and enjoyable Belgians out there. Dispite some cellering, a boozy mess. Lacked depth, flavor, and body. Will have another down the road to see if opinion changes, and if so, will edit post.

whiterabbit, Jun 17, 2014

Dark brown with some hints of orange, pours with about an inch of head that fades fairly quickly leaving some lacing. Smell starts with some dark fruit- cherries and plums, a bit sherry-ish, cinnamon though I'm not sure if I could have picked it out without knowing it was in there. Taste, candied plums with some alcohol on the finish, some bitterness. Medium bodied, a little creamy, finishes dry.

Overall, I really enjoy this beer though it does seem a bit rough. I would really like to try an aged version.

bpfishback, May 04, 2011

abeldiaz, Jan 05, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

I was a little hesitant with this one only because it came in a can, but the can looks devilish and kinda evil so it must be worth it.

A- Deep deep rich brown coloring, little foam, medium lacing on the glass.

S- Great smelling brew, a lot of oak and vanilla. Slight alcohol scent

t- First hits the pallet with vanilla and a little cherry flavor. Afterwards strong cinnamon taste.

M- Light to medium body, same with carbonation.

D- Strong tasting beer, probably a sipper. ABV is 8% so not too many hehe

This was my first try with 21st Amendment Brewery, they make a good beer and have changed my views on canned beers.

HopHooligan, Feb 25, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from the cool looking can into a St Bernardus goblet. A cafe au lait colored head dissipates quickly. The color is a striking reddish-brown, appropriate given the name. Minimal lacing. The nose is sweet, with some bready yeast and cinnamon. The flavor is mostly sweet malts and some booze. There are hints of other things, but these are fleeting. The finish is fairly dry.

Not a bad beer, but certainly not a great BSDA.

gamwich, May 12, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +25%

blackfoot86, May 02, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

robertsp, Jul 04, 2012

IDontBelieveYou, Jan 07, 2013
3.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

*Edit* I got about 2 fingers of head with my second pour. Disappated quickly with light lacing. Upped the appearance to reflect.

Picked up a 4 pack of cans at Bier:thirty in Bown Crossing. They should have it on tap soon, I'd like to try it on draught.

A- Dark red brown, no head. I suspect a dirty glass when I look at other reviews. Dinged because of the lack of head, I'll edit if the next one pours with head. *edit* see top of review.

S- Belgian fruit, fig and vanilla, some higher alcohols.

T- Flavor is unexpectedly mild. Fig and dark fruit initially, vanilla is very strong in the middle. Has a boozy finish. Not bad

M- Medium body, some malt syrupyness, carbonation pretty high, within style.

O- Solid beer, I was a bit disappointed as I'm a big fan of 21st Ammendment and the style. I was expecting an excellent beer, but this is only very good. I will buy again if I see it.

Brisket, Apr 04, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Heard about this beer on a Craft Beer podcast, they were interviewing Shaun from 21st Amendment Brewing Co. so I went down to my favorite liquor store, Dennis Brothers and bought this along with a six pack of 21st I.P.A.
A- Poured fairly hard produced a nice tan head that faded fairly quick, some lacing, color is a dark ruby brown.

S- Can smell hints of alcohol lots of dark fruit coming through maybe a little chocolate.

T- I love the taste of this beer lot of different flavors coming through fig and some other dark fruits, cherry maybe and also can taste some bourbon type flavor.

MF- A heavy oily dark ale very warm, dry finish, smooth nice after taste.

D- Very nice ale, I drank the 21st I.P.A.before this one, which really made this Monks Blood stand out with it's different style.

Fitzgerald, Feb 27, 2010