Fireside Chat - 21st Amendment Brewery

pDev: 17%
21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Winter Warmer |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: elgiacomo on 10-19-2010

Like FDR’s Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fireside Chat Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,063 | Reviews: 329
4.77/5  rDev +37.5%

This beer pours a dark mohogany color with a thik, fluffy brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving a thick lace.

This beer has a pleasent, mild nutmeg aroma. I get a slight cinnimon aroma also. It has a mild, toffee like malty aroma as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. I like the mild, but noticable nutmeg flavor.

This beer is crisp, and refreshing. It leaves a spicy nutmeg like aftertaste. Carbonation is medium.

This beer might make a decent session beer. It is a little high in alcohol, and that is about the onl;y problem I see with it.

Overall: I liked this beer quite a bit. I am surprized it is rated so low. It is well balanced, with a nice flavor.

4.77/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer, I have enjoyed

4.75/5  rDev +36.9%

12 oz. can, 2014 edition poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, deep, dark, completely opaque, mahogany color with two full fingers of white head that dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Strong notes of toasted malt, dried stone fruit, winter spices such as clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, ginger, dark molasses and a touch of dark chocolate. Smells great!

Taste: Exactly like its aroma. Strong flavors of toasted malt, followed by strong flavors of dried stone fruit such as prunes, raisins, figs, apricots and dates, followed by candied sugar and Belgian yeast, and finally, some great flavors of spices such as clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel and ginger. Delicious!

Mouth feel: Medium to slightly chewy and pretty smooth, as there is very little in the way of carbonation. With an ABV of 7.9%, there is just a slight touch, a hint really, of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Wow! Another great beer from 21st Amendment!! Tons of malt, stone fruit and spices! Delicious!!

4.68/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ can into an "Ass Clown" brewery pint glass.
Aroma- World class smell, you can smell the whole spice rack in this beer. nutmeg, cinnamon, malt and some others make this a special aroma.
Appearance- Pours a reddish-brown and has a small white head.
Taste- I truly love this flavor, I have noticed that I am in the minority rating this, but hey each there own.
Palate- A medium bodied lightly carbonated creamy textured beer.
Overall- A great beer for me, this is the first winter warmer style beer I have had and I think the next one I try will be hard to top this one.

I

4.6/5  rDev +32.6%

A- straight from the can; I was at work and wasn't fast enough to get one of the snifters

S- crazy complex - fruity, malty and deep

T- like nothing like I've ever had; the taste follows the nose almost to a 'T', extremely rich with sweet dark plum and a bit of licorice - it's hard to explain other than it's a rich brew...

M- thinner than I was expecting (I was expecting a heavy liquid - don't know why) but rich nonetheless

D- your not going to sit down and finish a 4-pack off but a nice, rich end to a meal for sure... and if your not used to a rich, fruity beer I doubt your going to like this. If your a novice and interested in this beer I suggest finding a single can or find some friends to go in on a 4-pack.

Would think that a hot-out-of-the-oven chocolate brownie with hot chocolate sauce on it would be a perfect pairing for this...

4.55/5  rDev +31.1%

A - Dark brown with a little bit of head.

S - Smell some spices.

T - Really enjoyable. Warm malty flavor. Alcohol is not overwhelming. Caramel hints.

M - Excellent. Creamy, with light carbonation. Medium body.

D - I really enjoyed this beer. I could drink several of them and will be drinking it again.

4.45/5  rDev +28.2%

Straight outta the can, so appearance here is completely the artwork. It smells like Christmas and the taste carries through as well. A lot of spice, but not all upfront and even kind of cinnamonny at the end. At 7.8% you might be expecting a very hoppy beer, but the spices do a lot to balance out the hoppy-ness, which scores points with me. I tend to prefer maltier brews. Carbonation was perfect in my can. You don't even realize it's 8% until you stand up to get the second one and fall back down. Didn't see any elves, though, like the one FDR is chatting up on the artwork. Very enjoyable brew. Even at $10 a 6er, I'll be going back for some more.

4.44/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer, well rounded, albeit a stronger end kick than i was expecting. Done just about right. Keep up the good work. *enjoyed by draft

4.42/5  rDev +27.4%

One of my favorite spiced winter beers and it comes from a place that doesn't even have a winter (San Francisco). It is a dark English-style ale spiced with cinnamon and other spices common in winter ales. I find it to be a great mix between a malty English Ale and a spiced American-style winter Ale. A great beer.

4.4/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was a 12 oz. can poured into a mug.

It pours a opaque black with no particles evident in the beer. It smells sweet like vanilla and maybe ginger or some other spice. I feel that it is nicely balanced and welcomed. I love the spices of this beer. It has a warming very pleasant taste of vanilla and then fades to the other spices as well as to the malts of this beer which are rich. I taste lots of sweet tastes which escape me but I definitely get vanilla. I like this beer and would order it again especially if on tap.

4.39/5  rDev +26.5%

12 oz can poured into a tulip.

A: brown, minimal greyish-tan lacing with tiny bubbles.

S: honey, holiday spice, and cherries. The smell of Christmas.

T: sweet spices, light fruit and honey flavors.

M: watery and light on the mouth.

D: great winter beer. I love the elf.

4.38/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-poured a nice murky reddish dark brown, cinnamon brown soapy head.

S-nutmeg, burnt brown sugar, molasses. Quite subdued smell wise.

T/M- Wow! Christmas in a can! Sweet mixture of brown sugar, molasses, raw sugar cane. Warming booziness, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, bitter orange zest, which really keeps the sweetness in check. I'm sure that come from the hop variety they used... A real nice creamy texture, flavors of sugar cookies, coffee cake, figs, raisans. Very complex did not expect that just by the aroma. Definanetly fools you.

Overall- pretty awesome brew. I'm surprise there hasn't been more excitement about this seasonal. Imagine Anchor steam Christmas ale on steroids and there you have fireside chat. Damn good stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +26.2%

ok, I had this beer last year and remembered its greatness, so I bought a case this year. 12oz pours into a pint glass. head brings the level up to the very brim of pint glass. great lacing and average retention. color is dark amber/ dark brown with red hues.

Smell is spicy like a pumpkin ale. nutmeg and all spice.

The taste is straight English brown ale meets American stout and has a baby. The outcome is fireside chat ale and the spices stack on top of this making this grandious and delicious. This beer is fucking exquisite. great winter warmer beer.

The finish contains caramel/brown sugar notes and a nutmegy spice character. good stuff here!

overall: you are a moron not to buy this case. as a hophead this is at the opposite spectrum of flavors for my preference but this beer takes the cake in the category winter warmers.

I'm proud to make this beer my 50th review!

4.37/5  rDev +25.9%

This brew seems to be taking a hit for not matching the style, but if you ignore that, this is a very tasty 7.9% offering.
The taste is very well balanced with the spices covering the sweetness of the malt perfectly. Mouth feel comes off as almost creamy but takes a slightly carbonated edge at the finish.
Not sure where the one reviewer came up with the sour taste as these cans offer nothing of the sort.
A very independent brew!

4.35/5  rDev +25.4%

Can -> Weyerbacher tulip

Pours deep brown with a fluffy creme head. Detailed lacing sticks around. Molasses sweet aroma. Very smooth and full of flavor. Picking up notes of cinnamon and dark cherry. Surprisingly mild and developed flavors as if it's been mellowed with time. Over time some vanilla notes show up. Excellent round sweet finish. Not a hint of the 7.9% ABV.

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

12oz can poured into a DogfishHead pint glass.

A: A nice dark mahogany brown with a nice long lasting brown mocha head that lasts in the glass.

S: Spice box, raisin, nutmeg, dark malt, clove, cinnamon.

T: A very tasty winter warmer ale with dark smoked chocolate malt, spice box, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, oak cask, and subtle bourbon alcohol yeast that pops in your mouth.

M: A good solid mouth feel, with a nice alcohol raciness, smooth, creamy, and snap poppy.

O: A go to winter ale that will be bought again. Definitely one to share with the bro's for cold winter nights.

4.3/5  rDev +23.9%

Dark chesnut color with amber highlights. Bubbly and lively tan head. Smells like a piece banana nut bread had a baby with a piece of cinnamon raisin bread. Hints of rum soaked raisins and holiday spice.

Rich creamy body with a fluffy mouthfeel. Flavors are a lot like that of the nose but while the banana nut bread flavors come through stronger on the nose, the cinnamon raisin bread like flavors come through stronger on the tongue. Dry and spicy on the back end of the tongue with a mild alcohol warming finish. In my opinion an awesome brew for cold winter morning with breakfast or cold winter nights sitting by the fire enjoying some sweets and of course good conversation. A really good brew. And oddly, I think it drinks better out of the can than in a glass.

4.26/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: Deep, dark and reddish brown in color, the Fireside chat has a nice, thick and foamy head of about an inch capping the beer. The head retention is outstanding with only about a third of it fading in the first three minutes after the pour.

SMELL: Aroma of Christmas spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe a little brown sugar and even some pine lingers behind the spice. If it were stronger I'd be happier with it.

TASTE: The cinnamon and nutmeg are still present in the taste, but not nearly as strong as they were in the nose. The brown sugar and sweeter malt flavors run the show in the early and middle portions of each sip, but they are balanced by a nice, subtle, hoppy grassiness in the finish. This is what a winter warmer should be.

MOUTHFEEL: Rich, full-bodied, smooth and creamy. A touch of carbonation tickles the palate, but the smooth, creamy texture works perfectly with the big body. Decedent.

OVERALL: This is not my favorite style by any means, but occasionally, I'll enjoy a winter warmer. This is, by far, the best example I have tried. Somewhere between malty and hoppy this beer truly warms with a comforting array of Christmas-like spices.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

On Tap at Hulmeville Inn in a pint glass on the regs.

Fireside looks darkish a deep dark red deep maroon, big brown, with a smal amount of tannish cap up above. A bright reddish towards the light Leaves small clunks on the glass. Smell is holiday spice with cinnamon, with a mix of sweet and sour. Taste is brighter than expected. Cherry, tart apple, spice, cinnamon, etc, a bready thing in the back. Traces of cocco and some roasted malt in the end. Feel is medium, brisk, lively, not overly spiced, quaffable, not cloying, carbey off the tap. Feel is kinda similar in weight/gravity to the Monk's Blood that relesed lst year. I drank my pint quick and considered another.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

Dark and lovely. To be frank I expected/could have used more spice.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured from a can into a mini snifter.

Appearance: a dark amber color with a fingers worth of head that lasts and leaves minimal spots of lacing.

Smells: a sweet dark fruit malt with cherries and light figs along with a significant floral hop note.

Tastes: as the nose insists with a pine hop leaving a nice bitterness.

Mouthfeel: a just under 8% this is a great brew with good carbonation.

Overall: I love this winter warmer. its not so spicy but great job 21 Amendment.

4.23/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Having had it on tap, I found this to be a very enjoyable, characterful beer with good, full body and some good complexity, while the character holds up well over time, alone or with food.

Essentially, but not quite, black, it has a medium, creamy tan head slowly shrinking to a foamy ring and leaving nice lace.

Aroma is good, but not much. It mostly is dark soured fruits and dark toasted malt.

Taste is stronger and more complex, overall excellent. It has nice dark fruits, some soured fruit and light hint of balsamic vinegar, a lot of dark toast that is nicely caramelised, wet leafy and woody spice. It is lightly to the sweet side with some light bitterness underneath. The element holds up very well and it is very enjoyable and satisfying. Feel is very good, solid and lively.

4.16/5  rDev +19.9%

A can poured into a sa perfect pint.

A- a steady pour yields three epic fingers of light tan fluffy head that rises I good half an inch about the glass and holds for a nice bit. Head slowly settles leaving tons of chunky lace all around the glass and a thick foamed milk like ring. The body is a hazy deep chestnut brown with a bit of a red glow. Great looking brew.

S- opens up with clove studded oranges, nutmeg, a touch of cinnamon then rolls banana bread and some brown sugar.

T- fall spices at first with nutmeg, and cinnamon some cloves but to a lesser extent. Nice fruit component right behind the spices that bring a bit a granny smith apple and peaches to mind. Toasted bread and some caramel sweetness to round thing out.

M- a bit less then medium in body with a nice carb that starts off light and a bit creamy and finishes bright and a bit aggressive, it works well keeping the flavor from becoming to overbearing.

D- I really enjoyed this beer. I'm not usually a big fan of ww but this one brings something new to the style for me. Ill keep my eye out for it on draft.

4.15/5  rDev +19.6%

Serving Type - Can

Appearance - Dark tan, brown, killer 3+ inch head, tons of lacing, very nice looking.

Smell - Wow, tons of spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, carmal, toffe, malts, molasses, some hops and a little chocolate comes out, smells great.

Taste - Let me start by saying i drank one of these last night, and wasnt impressed until about half way through, it warmed up, and everything changed. First drink is a little pepper like spice bite, with roasted malts and a chocolate backbone. The nutmeg and cinnamon is main flavor, with some bready, biscuit dry effect at the finish. Pumpkin andsome hops linger around after a drink , and a little sugar, molasses sweetness too.

Mouthfeel - Its thick, rich, and a mouth coater for sure. Lots of spices and malts hit the tounge, sweeten and bitter at same time. Pallete gets sugars, malts, coffee and chocolate. Aftetaste is a little bitter, malty, and spicy.

Overall - This beer sucked until it warmed up and other flavors other then just the spices came out. Its a holiday beer, only to be drank for the holidays. I wouldnt want this year round but as a session, i enjoyed this.

4.13/5  rDev +19%

I like this beer, it comes off not overt sweet often a killer of this style as it lingers in a glass.

The appearance is well done with nice lacking.

My letdown was the body, I want a winter warmer to stick to my rips and warm me up, to put a fire in my belly to send me home and tuck me in, not a bigger session beer.

This is my opinionm but I enjoyed the beer and will have it again,

Fireside Chat from 21st Amendment Brewery