Fireside Chat - 21st Amendment Brewery

Fireside ChatFireside Chat

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Winter Warmer |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: elgiacomo on 10-19-2010

Like FDR’s Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fireside Chat Alström Bros
Reviews: 328 | Hads: 1,124
3.56/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Yardhouse

A: Pours deep reddish brown with a frothy khaki head that settles to a light layer and laces well.

S: Toasty, kinda nutty, toffee sweetness, light pine, and a little spice.

T: Toasty malt, a little spice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, light pine, and some toffee sweetness.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: I've had this one in years past and I remember it having a bit more spice presence. As it sits now it's a very average but not offensive beer. With any luck I can retry it and have a better experience.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was a little bummed. This was hyped up to me pretty hard. My first time trying it wasn't anything too special. Poured out of the can into a goblet. Second time I did the same, but the beer was just a bit warmer. I noticed a lot more flavor the second time. Definitely had that iconic 21st Amendment taste to it. Not sure if that's a good thing but at least they're consistent. At $8.99 for a sixer, it's certainly not a bad deal, but now that I've tried it, I don't know that I'll be kicking down any doors to have it again.

4.03/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a ruddy burnt brown color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute leaving some light stringy lace all around the glass.
The smell started off with cinnamon, ginger, allspice, caramel and toffee malts.
The taste was pretty much the same with a nice lingering malty aftertaste leading into the finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a decent sessionability about it. Carbonation ran good - nice and low for the style.
Overall, nice winter warmer, pretty sure I'll have no problem downing the rest of these.

This is an easy drinking winter brew. Not as deep and chewy as others, but full bodied and satisfying. Light, present, but nicely infused spice. I'll behaving many of these by the fire

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in a pint glass from the tap at Fetch here in Warwick, NY.

Appearance: dark Amber with heavy rust colored tint with medium bubbles on the body creating an off-white head rising about 1/4" off the body. Drops with sticky lacing but settles very evenly.

Smell: Light cinnamon scent, light oranges but super light.

Taste: Has a cinnamon hop taste with hits of sweet citrus. Light malted feel that reminds you of a bitter cinnamon black tea.

Mouth: medium carbonation, not truly sticky. A little dry and slight chewy.

Overall: Descent brew, granted there are better winter warmer beers out there. Has much room for tweaking. Worth sharing a 4-pack with friends especially this time of the year. Salud!

3.94/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured a dark chocolate almost opaque color in a Stone Imperial pint glass with a 3F head.

The aroma is excellent: chocolate and spice.

The body is a bit too light, and detracts from the taste which is cocoa, chocolate and spice. The beer is malt forward. The taste doesn't match the intensity of the aroma.

If the body were thicker, this would be an excellent beer. Perhaps the recipe should be tweaked.
I tasted the beer on the warmer side, bringing out the malt and chocolate.

Overall, a very good beer which could develop in future brews as an excellent winter warmer.

3.99/5  rDev +17%

Best by 1/31/16 stamped on bottom of the can.
This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a ruddy amber color with a one finger white to tan foamy head that had some stringy lacing here and there.
The smell had some vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, toffee, and caramel. Added cake-like aroma fills in the edges nicely.
The taste was mainly sweet through previously mentioned flavors. That cake-like substance comes back to surround my taste buds nicely. There's a light aftertaste of the cinnamon and cake that fills in on the finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a somewhat heavy sessionable feel. I mean that by the spices kinda hit a bit hard but allow the malts to slide along my tongue.
Overall, I say this was a nice winter warmer that I would have again.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass best before 1/31/16. Pours mahogany, with a one inch light tan head that leaves some lines of lace behind.

Smell is hazelnut, vanilla, peat, brown sugar, cinnamon, and English toffee.

Taste follows perfectly with everything blended beautiful, hazelnut, being most dominant and everything else lending a hand.

Body is medium, the perfect amount of life, not dry, and very drinkable.

Overall this is a very nice winter warmer and at an excellent price. Starting to come back to my malty roots and appreciating some other styles.

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Can from Winco. A pretty solid brew, I'm sensing an English ale under the spice bouquet. Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla all present, as accents, not overdone. Solid malt body carries it well. Body a bit thin, lets see where this goes with a little warmth.

3.94/5  rDev +15.5%

I'm going in the other direction on this. LIke the brewer, love this beer, but it's sweet.
I enjoyed it as the first late afternoon brew on a fall weekend when coffee was the other option.

A - Pours a dark burgundy color with a one-finger, tan head of white foam. It left steady wisps of lace on the glass.

S - Coffee and holiday spices - nutmeg, cinnamon with ample caramel malt aroma.

T - It tasted spicy - dried fruit flavor like figs and plums mixed with strong maltiness.

M - Crisp, sharp and smooth. Medium bodied with a dry finish.

O - I contest this is as good as most winter warmers.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a standard pint glass: color is brown, head is tan, head presents about 1/2 inch thick and seems to linger well, no real lacing on the glass.

Smell seems light for a stronger and spice ale, maybe more of strong porter like presence at first, but then some subtle spices such as clove and cinnamon emanate as it warms.

Taste is adds to the spice profile, with some ginger presenting, malt is a bit more chocolatey, not overly roasted.

Mouthfeel is pleasant, a little bit of sweetness at first, then some fuller bitterness and spice on the tongue, then a pronounced drying at the end.

Overall, this brew hides its strength well and is a bit less spiced than many warmers.

3.96/5  rDev +16.1%

I have been trying more and more of this 21st Amendment Brewing Co. and I really like them. I picked up a six-pack of cans that was already chilled down real nice. This one has 7.9% ABV and 45 IBUs. It is a great beer
to drink in the fall and winter so let’s go through all of its attributes.

Look-It pours a deep dark mahogany. A bright light will coax out some deep red hues. The lacing is drooping and wet and the head starts out fluffy and off-white.

Smell-It smells of brown sugar, molasses, dark fruits, plums, and raisin bread crust.

Taste-It tastes of nutmeg, candied cherries, vanilla, and has almost an egg-nog flavor as well. The alcohol warms as you sip it and is accompanied by a variety of holiday spices.

Mouthfeel-It is creamy and rich, but not too sweet.

Overall-I think this is a great beer to sip on by the fire and to have at night when it is cold outside. I like to pour this into my special 21 oz. deep crystal goblet. Cheers!

3.92/5  rDev +15%

A spiced dark English-style Winter Warmer? It's quite a mouthful. Really fruity with a very pleasant gingery taste. Pleasantly spicy without overdoing it. Is there allspice and cardamon?

Fairly sweet with a nice malty foundation. Some bitterness in the aftertaste. This is rated at 45 IBUs. Dark mahogany in the pint glass. Not much carbonation. Long nose of spice and roasted malt. On tap at the brewery restaurant (01/21/2012).

4.06/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Dark amber with a decent off white head
S- Spices, bready, almost like a graham cracker
T- Balanced with nice spice notes, bitterness is very subtle
F- Very nice and crisp
O- Good wintery beer that isn't just overly spiced. Very drinkable.

4.68/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ can into an "Ass Clown" brewery pint glass.
Aroma- World class smell, you can smell the whole spice rack in this beer. nutmeg, cinnamon, malt and some others make this a special aroma.
Appearance- Pours a reddish-brown and has a small white head.
Taste- I truly love this flavor, I have noticed that I am in the minority rating this, but hey each there own.
Palate- A medium bodied lightly carbonated creamy textured beer.
Overall- A great beer for me, this is the first winter warmer style beer I have had and I think the next one I try will be hard to top this one.

2.54/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

L: Dark brown with a fluffy 1/2 inch beige head that stuck around for a bit. Looks like a slightly flat cola. This looks promising!
S: Bready, malty, a really slight hint of molasses.
T: Initial bitterness on the sides of the tongue, finishes with a pretty sharp bitterness in the back of the throat. Tastes like burnt rye. All I'm getting is harsh burnt bitterness with a little alcohol heat at the end.
F: Thin
O: Dang, I had such high hopes for this one! It looked and smelled really good, but the taste and mouth feel were just not there. I wish I could taste even one more flavor. I generally like this style of beer and don't mind kick-in-the-back-of-the-throat bitterness when it is balanced out with something else. This one is a dud. Bummer.

1.17/5  rDev -65.7%

Let me just start this semi-long winded review on how much I disliked this beer...I disliked it so much that I stopped what I was doing at 4 AM to come and write my first review on beer advocate. I’ve been reading reviews on this site for over a year now and I’m on it quite frequently, I’ve been meaning to start writing reviews for months now and well...Holy god damn shit this was the perfect inspiration. I by no means am an expert, and I fully understand that everyones palate is different, I’m sure there’s someone on this planet who can find something to like about this beer but they are probably a tad slow or dying of some kind of horrible disease that effects their senses...but I digress

A: Dark brown and red with a surprisingly deceiving head, I looked at it and said “wow that looks like a good beer”

S: Dark (dark wasn’t a smell until now) black coffee mixed with a small amount of 10-W30 engine oil, maybe an odd type of weird dried fruit scent in there some where, uhhh and alcohol and water scents as well

T: Dark (also a taste now as well), burnt, thick with coffee and weird dried fruit on occasion oil, lots of a bitter taste and a very strong presence of alcohol, some weird spices , very very harsh and unenjoyable, this should be called “fireside unnecessarily horrible yet intentional suicide”

M: Thick, chalky, harsh, rough...I keep taking a small sip of this after every section of this review and...god this is just really bad.

O: I’m extremely open minded when it comes to all beer, 99.9% of what I try that I’m not a fan of I can at least find something positive to say about it, and I usually end on an “I won’t buy it again but I’d drink it if it was offered to me” type of note. NOT fireside chat, I will never drink this shat again. It’s just not good, I’m not trying to be a jerk it is just a sincerely bad product.

2.42/5  rDev -29%

A - Poured a dark brown mahogany body with slight red or ruby highlights. Head was just shy of 2 fingers and was very frothy, creamy texture against some larger bubbles. Left a few streaks of lacing, and always appeared lively.

S - Smell is very sweet and fruity at first with an immediate wallop of cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe some other things from the spice rack in there... very spiced smelling. The sweet fruity aroma is almost raisiny, with a thick bready malt note. Like some sort of overly sweet and rich holiday desert.

T - Taste follows the nose but is engulfed in an astringent finish that swallows it up like a black hole. Nothing can escape the astringency... accept the cinnamon and the sweetnes. So yes.. no real malt, hops, just a drying astringent holiday cookie that was overcooked. On top of that, somehow in the face of massive astringency, the sweetness is just immense... I think cloying is a harsh word and I try not to use it in my reviews without some restraint... but this... this is cloyingly sweet beer.

M - Thick, sweet but still astringent.

O - This was neither refreshing, nor could it possibly perpetuate any fireside chat. Maybe I should smoke a cigarette like the guy on the can to add some flavor. Sorry for the diatribe, I often find myself liking most of the new beers I try. This one would be a drain pour if I wasn't committed to writing this review based on a fully drunken beer to give it the benefit of the doubt that it gets better as it warms. It doesn't.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance : Deep Amber , two fingers head.
Smell: Malt, Caramel, Spices.
Taste: A very interesting winter warmer, spice hits the back of the tong.
Overall: An OK winter warmer, but not my favorite.

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Dark brown body with a tan head. Smells almost like a gingerbread nut brown. Taste is nutmeg, cinnamon, gingerbread. With a light bitterness. Light bodied, kinda watery. Overall, this is just okay.

3.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Brownish copper with a half finger of head. Mild bready nose. Malty with a touch of sweetness. The body is hearty enough to pass as a Winter Warmer. Nice dry finish.

3.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can into a teku glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color with ruby tones. The head is two fingers high and off-white in shade. The retention is pretty decent, but the oily texture means little lacing is left on my glass. Whatever, its still an attractive brew. (4)

Smell: I'm getting mild hints of caramel mostly. There are additional hints of smoke, graham cracker, cinnamon, and molasses as well. The spicing is very subdued here - and I consider that a good thing. Y'know, just from smelling it, I'm not really sure why it's a 79... (3.75)

Taste: At first, I get a little more spiciness (cinnamon, nutmeg, et al) than I did from the nose. Still, by no means do the spice notes dominate. The mid-taste and back end bring not only caramel, nuts, and molasses, but even some smoke as well. Some piny hop notes also help finish this off. Not bad at all, I must say. (3.5)

Mouthfeel: I like how the malt sweetness doesn't weigh down on the palate, instead leaving the palate dryly. There seems to be an astringent prickle post-swallow, but that only makes it more drinkable. Also giving it good drinkability is its high carbonation. (3.5)

Overall: You know what? This works. It's not hilariously over-spiced, nor is it hilariously under-attenuated. I'll even call it well balanced. These are the kinds of beers I like: ones where I don't expect much, but I end up being pleasantly surprised. (3.75)

3.63/5: One of the more solid (and underrated) winter warmers I've had

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Very complex malt flavors including coffee, slight smoke, nut, but not as bold as it looks. Slight burnt nose and after taste, which isn't overpowering. Overall a good Winter beer.

3.84/5  rDev +12.6%

A friend of mine absolutely loves this beer, and looks forward to winter every year just so he can buy it. I do not share his enthusiasm. While there is no doubt that this is a high quality brew that 21st Amendment has crafted with lots of TLC, it just isn't for me.

Beer pours out reddish-brown, and is very creamy. Moving on to smell, which is undoubtedly this beer's strongest point IMO, is absolutely wonderful, and MUST be experienced in a snifter. Hints of nutmeg, caramel, chocolate and cinnamon all delight your nose as you take them in all at once.

As for taste, all the aforementioned smells are detected, along with hints of molasses and ginger, and a faintly floral hop aftertaste.

It is exceptionally creamy, smooth, and goes down very easily. Much gentler than most heavy ales.

All in all, this beer is very "meh" to me. It's just too spicy and hefty for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice hearty brew, even many winter warmers, but this is almost like a three course meal in a can. Definitely a one per sitting brew.

I would also say that this brew is named accordingly. It's a great brew to pour for yourself and a friend and sit down next to the fire, catch up with one another and talk about the old times while sipping it slowly. If my buddy ever offers me another I most certainly will not reject it, but I don't think this one will ever make it's way into my fridge.

4.08/5  rDev +19.6%

Appearance: Dark crimson, light carbonation
Odor: Malts, Caramel, and maybe a hint of vanilla
Taste: I struggled to figure this one out, it has spices that tend to build up in the back of your throat. Extremely complex each sip brings different notes. Slight bitterness but not overpowering.

Fireside Chat from 21st Amendment Brewery