Join our email list →

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Winter Warmer | 7.90% ABV

Beer added by: elgiacomo on 10-19-2010

Like FDR’s Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fireside Chat Alström Bros
Reviews: 336 | Hads: 1,201
3.04/5  rDev -11.1%

A 12 oz. can poured to a pint glass. Picked up a 6-pack for a house warming/last minute pottery sale my wife threw today. Interesting label of a cigarette-smoking FDR chatting (fireside!)... with an elf? Tan and rust-brown, not typically the most appealing colors...

A: No justice is served by pouring this one at any cooler than 50 degrees - wow, is it impressive looking. Deep, rich mahogany with hints of pomegranate redness, fairly clear when held to light. Good carbonation. Fantastic head, a full two-fingered topping of dense khaki cream. Good retention and sturdy banding lace.

S: Fruit muddling and roasted nut notes... then a fairly strong whiff of alcohol. Musty, dusty and metallic.

T: A very unusual fruity-tart flavor, paired with toffee and coffee roast. Burnt nuts and lemony cocoa powder; plenty of off-flavors here. Whatever spicing there is here is dry and dirty and not very pleasing. That odd metallic (copper? iron?) twang does no favors here.
EDIT: I did have a couple others after the review, served at somewhere between cellar and room temperature ~ more fruit and spice are apparent, the tinny twang is greatly decreased.

M: Modest carbonation, soft and creamy. A velvety feel marred a little by a lasting bitterness. Feel isn't the worst thing this beer has going for it.

D: I love winter warmers. I love malty beers. I love hearty beers. I even love spiced beers. Really thought I'd love this one. Didn't. Something about the metallic twang, the tartness and an unappealing roast made this a mixed bag - one that I probably don't need to get again (although reading reviews about the draft version do sound better). *Might* have it again if I see it on a taplist... but this was a bad introduction.

2.47/5  rDev -27.8%

Not a bad beer, just not a good beer. Bitter aftertaste after a smooth initial start. The metal can is pretty good and easier to use then the traditional bottle. Have to admit that I am not a big fan of spiced beers to that makes my look lower overall.

1.83/5  rDev -46.5%

Fireside Chat pours a dark brown with an off white head. In the nose, spices (nutmeg) and a sweet toffee maltyness. Malty, quite spicy with some vegetal/pumpkin notes. Also a weird sourness that detracts from the flavor. Is this infected? If I was told this was a poorly made pumpkin ale, I'd believe it. Falls pretty much flat on the palate, low carbonation on a medium to heavy body. The flavors just clash to me I found this one to be kind of a mess. Nice try, but missed the mark for me. Couldn't finish a pint, and I was thirsty. Fail.

3.61/5  rDev +5.6%

Get this one on tap...Taste great... picked up a very sour taste when i drank it out of the can.

A= the darkness that filled the glass made me look around and try an find the fireplace...

S= thought there would be a bit more of the cinnamon or nutmeg notes but did not really smell it

T= I was lucky enough to have my first glass at the brewery. It was all I was hoping it would be..a mouth full of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. a couple days later I did go to the store at bought a 2 pack...I was puzzled, it tasted tottally different... very sour....

M= very pleasant..enjoyed it very much not has caronated as I thought but good

D= Nice way to start the evening..more than one would be overkill

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a deep amber with two fingers of foamy tan head that sticks around and leaves tons of lacing.

Aroma is of nutmeg and a sweet caramel malt, more spices like cinnamon and a little woodiness round it out.

Tastes strongly of nutmeg, with the cinnamon in the background. Caramel malt fills out the rest. Some more of the spices are present but dominated by the nutmeg and cinnamon. There is a distinct metallic sourness that permeates the whole palate. I don't think the can was a good idea as far as flavor is concerned.

Very smooth and drinkable, medium-full body with a malty aftertaste. The whole thing is kind of folded in on itself, kinda muted, and the nutmeg is very dominant. The can definitely lends flavor and not in a good way. I think cans are a great idea that more breweries should use, but it didn't work for this particular flavor.

But overall it's a halfway decent winter warmer. Worth a try. The ABV is well-hidden unlike some others in the same class.

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: one inch head, clear, dark brown in color

Smell: cinnamon and nutmeg. This smells like a Christmas candle.

Taste: toasted malt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some sourness

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied, medium/high carbonation, slightly bitter with spices

Drinkability: An average winter warmer. I could have a couple. The spices are there but are somewhat muted. I have had better from this brewery.

2.71/5  rDev -20.8%

I really like the way this beer looks. The can is a cool design and it pours beautifully with about 1 fingers worth of head and a dark brown color, but it all goes down hill from there.
The smell is a bit sour but you can pick out the spices too.
The taste is a mash up of all kinds of stuff. Its sour, yet hoppy. Malty, yet over spiced. Complex, but not in the right ways.
I'm really not sure what this beer was going for, but overall I just give it a "Meh." I finished my glass, but I definitely did not reach for another. In fact I gave the remaining beers away because I knew I didn't want another one.
So far I have had 2 21st Amendment beers and both have been pretty lackluster.

4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

This beer pours beautiful and dark, like a winter's night near the solstice. Nice little quarter inch head puffs up, then lays down leaving lace along the way, like holiday garlands.

As for smell, the sour notes hit up front, that's for certain. A subtle malty-ness is present, but it is jostling for nostril space with the spice notes that abound.

I love a good sour-ish beer, and this is certainly that. The malty character that was only barely delectable in the nose is easily discernible in the palate. It's not as sour as most other sour beers, and that's only because they have a vivid spice action going. The hops got kind of lost in the mix for me.

There's good carbonation here, and that accentuates the spices and hops. Not an oily beer at all, and not too watery, either.

Drinkability depends on the drinker, figure that. I happen to like a good spiced dark beer, especially when the season calls for it. Being in Northern California we get fog for most of the year, so a beer like this to warm up a late night is always welcome.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

This winter warmer from San Francisco's 21st Amendment pours reindeer brown with an inch-think eggnog-colored head. In the pint glass, the brew looks black as a winter's night, due to a hearty mix of Munich, wheat, crystal, aromatic, chocolate, and black malts.

Its nose betrays the Chat's 7.9% alcohol and the hearty English-style backbone. There is a sour note mixed with seasonal spices, kind of like a gingerbread man that ran afoul of the gingermafia and has been rotting in a field for a few days. But in a good way.

As it warms, the Magnum and Golding hop aromatics wake up and start to balance out the cereal bill. For such a weighty grain profile, I would have expected more of a bready mouthfeel, but the Chat is thin enough to be followed by another without feeling stuffed like the proverbial Christmas goose. Feliz Navidad.

4.45/5  rDev +30.1%

Straight outta the can, so appearance here is completely the artwork. It smells like Christmas and the taste carries through as well. A lot of spice, but not all upfront and even kind of cinnamonny at the end. At 7.8% you might be expecting a very hoppy beer, but the spices do a lot to balance out the hoppy-ness, which scores points with me. I tend to prefer maltier brews. Carbonation was perfect in my can. You don't even realize it's 8% until you stand up to get the second one and fall back down. Didn't see any elves, though, like the one FDR is chatting up on the artwork. Very enjoyable brew. Even at $10 a 6er, I'll be going back for some more.

2.22/5  rDev -35.1%

The can is awesome.

A: Very deep brown color with a finger of creamy white head. Quite a bit of lacing as well. Nice looking beer.

S: Sourness. It smells almost like an Oud Bruin. Oak and sourness. Totally not to style at all but I do enjoy the aroma. When it warmed up you got some nutmeg as well but the sourness was bracing for a while.

T: Maybe even a little bit of an infection. Not as much as the nose would lead you to believe. You do not get any spices really. Kind of bland really. The only thing giving it any taste is a possible infection.

M: A little too thin for the style. Carbonation is good.

D: This beer is a little bit of a mess. I actually drainpoured it. In case the 21A cares the code on the can is 0279 2144. Not a good beer.

2.32/5  rDev -32.2%

12oz can poured into a Duvel tulip. Bonus points for my favorite president on the can!

Pours a nice really dark brown with a small dark brown head that fades fast. Nose is spicy and light and malty,

Taste is meh, not too much going on here, it's really disappointing and bland. This is 0/4 for 21st amendment.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer pours a hazy brown color. the head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of caramel with some sour notes, and some spices. It is all rather mild though. The taste is similar to the aroma. I'm not sure if the slight sourness I detect is supposed to be there or not, but regardless it is quite pleasant. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this is a decent beer.

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a pint glass.

The color is a dark maroon to black with about two fingers of foamy off-white head and some pillowy lacing.

The smell is a bit vegetable flavor, some string-bean and a little sour krout flavor. Some scotch tape aroma and a touch of some sticky butter flavor.

The taste is pungent punch of hops, malt and a watery mix of smelt together character. Some fight is left in the flavor but comes back when left alone.

The feel of this beer is like an old cigar. Well past it's prime it is not worth wasting the match.

2.34/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for this can.

Pours a sort of mahogany color, a dark scarlet tinted brown. Has about one finger of beige head which settles to just a thin lace with no real stick.

Smell is quite sour, but not in what seems like an intended way. And it's not very pleasant either. It's like sour cherries and cranberries. It's hard to get much past that because it's so dominant, but there are some sweeter malty aromas there too. I just don't linger long enough to get much more.

Taste has a bit of a tartness up front but luckily not one that is as unpleasantly sour as the smell. It's fruity, with darker fruit like black currant perhaps, with a caramely, somewhat roasty malt flavor as well. Somewhat nutty. It's better than the nose but it's still not very good. Some spices as well, but it just seems off and is not very impressive at all.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, quite crisp but with a metallic ting to the finish.

To be frank, this beer is a mess. I have no idea what the hell they were trying to do here, and the spices, prominently mentioned on the can, are a sideshow at best for the trainwreck of sour flavors and aromas that dominate. I struggled to finish one can. Not good.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Light brown in color. Head is moderate. Laces REALLY evenly and nice. The body is kind of boring looking.

S - Yeast, malt, spice.

T - Interesting. Tastes a bit like a dubbel with some extra tartness. It's a little sour. Citrus present, caramel malts.

M - Medium bodied. Not very carbonated. Pretty dry.

D - Drinkable. You would never know this was toward 8%. Tastes like it's 5%. A pretty good winter warmer.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz can picked up tonight at Brewforia on the way home from work.

Good tan head ... fantastic lacing... the brew is deep mahogany...

Nose shows predominantly spices... hints of cocoa... I generally have a hard time with spiced beers, but I will try... I get some ginger and probably nutmeg.. maybe some clove ... there is probably something else in there, and I am definitely trying to pick it out despite my aversion to beers with pie ingredients.

Flavor has an odd sour element that makes me immediately think of cranberries or sour cherries... it isn't infected, just weird. more dry than expected.. a bit chalky cocoa with the above spices... a bit of metal with warmth.

Body is thin for a big brew like this... carbonation is fine.

I honestly don't care for this... I will try and finish the can, but it will probably be headed for the drain.

4.5/4/3/3.5/2.5

2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

Great can and name for a beer, hopefully the taste is as good.

A- Dark copper/amber color with over a finger of foamy tan head. Head disappears slightly leaving lacing sticking to the top of the glass.

S- Overly spicy as the holiday smells are very apparent. Returns to a sweet malty smell as caramel comes through as well as some nutty notes.

T- The beginning of the beer has the familiar holiday spices with the likes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and some touches of vanilla. Quickly after the spiced flavor, the spices vanish and it can be seen that they were covering up a watered down beer. The caramel comes through with notes of biscuit and yeast flavor. The end of the beer comes with a slight kick of bitterness and a slight citrus taste.

M- Relatively thin body for a winter warmer and decent carbonation while it leaves the mouth dry afterwards.

D- The lack of flavor and sheer dependence on the winter spices makes this one hard to drink. Bummer, here is a case of not judging a beer by its cover.

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

On Tap at Hulmeville Inn in a pint glass on the regs.

Fireside looks darkish a deep dark red deep maroon, big brown, with a smal amount of tannish cap up above. A bright reddish towards the light Leaves small clunks on the glass. Smell is holiday spice with cinnamon, with a mix of sweet and sour. Taste is brighter than expected. Cherry, tart apple, spice, cinnamon, etc, a bready thing in the back. Traces of cocco and some roasted malt in the end. Feel is medium, brisk, lively, not overly spiced, quaffable, not cloying, carbey off the tap. Feel is kinda similar in weight/gravity to the Monk's Blood that relesed lst year. I drank my pint quick and considered another.

A: Poured a fairly clear, dark red color that, when looking straight at it, started red at the bottom and got darker to the point of almost total darkness as it reached the summit. It was topped off by a two inch cloud white head that stayed frothy throughout the session.

S: I've read some reviews of this, and I wonder if I just drank the same beer as everyone else. No christmas spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon, or anything else of the sort. On the nose, I got straight up sour beer with aspirin and Belgian yeast. Kinda cool..

T: Yep... same thing on the taste, only the fact that the sweet elements were as tempered as they were was a total shocker. A very soft, almost grainy quality made an appearance on the finish. I sensed a tinge of brown sugar, but certainly not much. Maybe melon or cantaloupe?

M: Like I said ... almost non-existent sugar. The carbonation was fine and filled out the palate nicely. Yeasty and silky smooth.

D: Hmmm.... I would have never pegged this as a Christmas holiday brew. Sort of generic, but I could easily drink a couple of these without needing any other food or drink to cut it. I know that my review looks totally different than the others on here, so maybe my taste buds are off.... just maybe. I'll stick to my guns for now.

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Nice rich burgundy color with a sizeable cream colored head.
S: Spicy cinnamon and other holiday spices with some hints of malt and something like a dried fruit.
T: It really has a create clean flavor that melds into this fantastic woody cinnamon flavor that combines to give it a raisiny dried fruit flavor. Not too sweet but very flavorful.
D/M: You really dont sense the alcohol but this really has a nice clean flavor that is surprisingly underwhelming as far as weight goes. I could have gone for a thicker richer flavor.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

Pour - dark amber with some nice reddish hues when held to the light. A rather thin off-white head fades to a ring of film rather quickly. Very deep and dark in appearance. Perfect for a winter brew.

Aroma - malty, sweet and sour, light caramel, apples and cloves. Reminds me a bit of warmed red wine and spices.

Taste - sweet and sour on the tongue sort of like the aroma. It has some bitterness, some black cherry, a bit of apple cider, not a whole lot of those spices maybe just some hints at nutmeg or cloves with a very vinous in the finish. By that I mean it has a dryness on the tongue similar to red wine. At almost 8% its a bit boozy too which is nice as it does a good job with the winter warming bit.

Overall - I really dig this beer as its quite unique. The flavors may not mesh completely perfectly but each sip brings something new and once this warms it really has some complexity. If you've got some red wine loving friends that stray away from beer you might want to share this with them.

Would I buy more of it? - sure. I'm glad it comes in a six-pack and I will look forward to trying more of it next winter (or maybe later this winter as its a long one here in New England).

3.55/5  rDev +3.8%

12 ounce can sampled from a 12 ounce snifter.

Pours a dark, dark brown, almost black. There is a strong tan head sitting on top, with active carbonation floating in up the sides of the glass.

First off in the nose is dried fruit...kind of like dried apricots or melon. There is a brown sugar sweetness to it, and some spice. Cinnamon, peppercorn, maybe some spruce. The aroma is almost Belgian-esque, like a dubbel. Some earthy tones reside in the aroma, as well, and perhaps a hint of oak and whiskey.

The flavor is a bit more on the bitter side than expected. Well, maybe not bitter, more like sour. There is definitely some spice in there...and some truly piney/hoppy characteristics. There are some fruited notes, as well as something like rosemary herbal qualities. There is, however, something in the character of this beer that seems to be somewhat metallic...the beer has good body around the edges, but in the middle it is missing something, and tastes like something on the astringent side.

Overall, I like this beer. It's not overly drinkable, but it has a unique flavor to it. I love the packaging, not that that has anything to do with the quality of the beer, but says something about the brewery, I think. For a Winter warmer, this one is pretty good.

4.35/5  rDev +27.2%

Can -> Weyerbacher tulip

Pours deep brown with a fluffy creme head. Detailed lacing sticks around. Molasses sweet aroma. Very smooth and full of flavor. Picking up notes of cinnamon and dark cherry. Surprisingly mild and developed flavors as if it's been mellowed with time. Over time some vanilla notes show up. Excellent round sweet finish. Not a hint of the 7.9% ABV.

2.68/5  rDev -21.6%

A- Pours a deep chestnut red/brown color with a medium sized head that leaves some lacing. Fades away to a solid ring.

S- Spice and yeast with some sweetness. A bit of must and grain.

T- Woah, this is kind of a spicy mess! Little to no hop presence and really the sweetness isn't there either like I had expected. The spices are overwhelming to the point that you can't decipher one from the other. The alcohol is a bit hot in the finish.

M- Medium bodied with medium/low carbonation.

D- Not impressed with this one. I was hoping for some subtle spice to go along with a nice malty brew but this one didn't come through

Fireside Chat from 21st Amendment Brewery