Fireside Chat - 21st Amendment Brewery

pDev: 17%
21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Winter Warmer |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: elgiacomo on 10-19-2010

Like FDR’s Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fireside Chat Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -28%

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

After reading other people's reviews of this beer, I decided I had to give it another chance; the overall experience of a spicy, malty ale did not jibe with my first experience and review. New 2012 review:
Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark reddish mahogany amber with a fine one finger light tan head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of bready malt and holiday spices, particularly cinnamon. Flavor is bready and biscuit malt, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, faint cocoa. Finishes like cinnamon toast with a hint of hops. Medium bodied with good carbonation. A very pleasant, fun to drink holiday ale that I look forward to seeing next year.

I clearly got a bad can in 2010, which is a relief because I like 21st Amendment and couldn't understand why they made that spicy, sour mess. Good to know it wasn't intentional and I'm glad I tried this again.

Here is my original review:
Review from 11/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark red amber, moderate head and lacing. Spicy, bretty sour aroma. Yikes, what were they thinking? My least favorite elements of sour wild yeast flavor amped up with spices. Light malt and fruit overwhelmed by the sour. In my bottom 10. After looking at other reviews, maybe I got a bad can; I'll have to rereview this next year.
Original ratings: 4,2.5,2.5,3.5,2.5

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Served a dark black-red color with a finger of frothy tan head. The head fades down slowly with some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of toasted caramel malts with spice, lightly burnt malts, and some yeast.

T - Starts off with some sweet toasted caramel malts with some dark spices and some light yeast flavor. Through the middle, some more spices come through with some more yeast flavor. The finish is a mix of christmas spices, with some sweet caramel and toasted malts.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a spicy and sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. The balance is pretty good, but it feel just a touch off. The spices are a bit too rough compared to the rest of the beer.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%