Sneak Attack Saison - 21st Amendment Brewery
Displayed for educational use only; do not reuse.
Ratings: 412 | Reviews: 87 | Display Reviews Only:
4.43/5 rDev +25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
At long last, a return to The CANQuest (TM), a misguided misadventure that seemingly knows no bounds.
From the CAN: "Farmhouse Ale brewed with Cardamom"; "38 IBUs"; the boat making the crossing is named "Endless SOMA", which is San Francisco-speak for South Of MArket (Street), which is where the brewpub makes its home. Clever!
The Crack & Glug was its usual joyousness and I went with an inverted Glug to celebrate the occasion. I had about a finger of fizzy, foaming, bone-white head initially, but it quickly reduced to wisps. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity and I almost wish that I had opened this over the bitterly cold weekend when no sun was evident. Nose had a definite yeast-borne mustiness along with a lemon-citrusiness and a spiciness that I could not identify, but which was probably the cardamom. Mouthfeel was medium but the spice and the yeast interacted to created liquid alum! Jeez-O, man, but this was dry! Arid, actually. It had a lemony citrus bite initially, followed by a jolt from the spice, then the yeasty mustiness took a shot at my palate. Finish was gaspingly dry, leaving me reaching for more. This could be like the snake eating its tail in terms of circularity. One sip begets another and so on ad infinitum. I would not want a steady diet, but this would be great in the summer.
Serving type: can
01-30-2013 00:21:35 | More by woodychandler
4.4/5 rDev +25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
- A very nice light and clear straw-yellow brew with a quickly fizzing white head that settled to a small thick ring and some hazing over the brew. Out of a can especially, I was hoping to see a much more frothy and lasting head. But where can you get many saisons in a can?
- The wonderful cardamon is rather present, but well placed with a nice funky farmhouse yeast. Much like a berliner weisse, you get a slight funky rubber mat sort of nose. That's not in a bad way! Light bread and biscuit, grassy and herbal aromas, and more funk. Super solid. Surprised.
- This is a great saison. Nice light funky yeast and bready character, with a perfectly placed amount of cardamon to lighten things up. A very zesty, yet lemon-like sweetness adds great character to this brew. The after-taste is fantastic, and one may find awesome floral flavors lingering behind. Zesty, lightly sweet, floral, and bready all in one balanced shot. I am very impressed.
Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Overall this is a light to medium bodied brew. It has only the slightest syrupy feel to it, but it is hard to grasp. It is well carbonated and has nice little tiny sparkling bubbles. It's a touch chewy and cloying, but overall well played.
- I have finally found another beer from this brewer that I like. I found myself a bit partial to their Back in Black (though I find many other local CDA's to topple it). Others I have had I wasn't very impressed. This however, and even in a damn 6-pack of cans, is fantastic. This is a must have. I really think this is something they should brew year-round. I would love this brew on a summer day.... just being outside drinking killer beer.
Serving type: can
01-05-2013 04:10:52 | More by Docer
4.38/5 rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
This beer is another in a set I picked up on a whim while I was out of state (West Virginia doesn't have a lot of great options). I'm glad to present a fairly positive review on a 21st Amendment beer because I really didn't like their Back in Black I just reviewed.
A: Poured into a pint glass from a can. The beer is golden in color and poured a very light head. Carbonation is quite visible after the initial pour.
S: The smell of the beer is sweet like a fruity candy smell. Banana really jumps out to me. A really deep smell does yield a spring-like cut-grass odor.
T: Taste is great. It's very spicy but the advertised cardamom is present on the back end. I taste a bit of lemony flavor that at first tastes like a hard-lemonade, but does unfortauntely sort of fade off into a harsher bitter lemon zest.
M: Light, crisp and refreshing. Borders on watery, but I thought it was a comfortable drink. The beer does kind of cling a bit after the swallow, but it's not bad at all.
O: This beer is great. I'll admit I can sometimes be a sucker for nifty packaging and aside from being a farmhouse ale in a can, it's also a pretty great beer. I'd definitely consume this again.
Serving type: can
01-14-2013 00:25:28 | More by TaylorK
4.35/5 rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
A-pale yellow with a thin white head. lots of bubbles
S-bitter grassy grains. slightly tart. some corn. strong decent scent.
T-comes in with a fruity tart flavor of corn and grassy grains. fairly bitter. Actually I had this once before and i hated it, but i had an extra can so i decided to just drink this one quickly but it's a lot better than i remember. it's actually a very decent drinkable saison. the flavors are all there and are pretty strong. it's quite savory. matching strong after-taste
M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish
O-this is a good, easy drinking saison. it drinks a lot lighter than the abv suggests. i don't know why but i had it once and it was terrible, but right now i'm loving it. honestly one of the better saisons i've had from an american brewery. especially surprising from 21st amendment.
Serving type: can
01-20-2013 18:25:35 | More by AdamBear
4.33/5 rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
Apparently I really like cardamom; at least I assume that's where the delicious, unusual and hard-to-describe flavour of this enormously drinkable beer is coming from. I'm not big on fruity Belgian yeasts, but that character is very light here, and more than matched by the toasty, bright, slightly dry presumptive-cardamom taste. Bitterness is moderate and balanced by body, mouthfeel is clean and clear.
Serving type: can
02-01-2013 21:40:07 | More by sennoma
4.24/5 rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
Pours a dark golden brown with a nice head. Smell is biscuit malt and grass with a little bit of yeast. The flavor is dry but not bitter, with a clean finish and strong cardamom flavor with overtones of biscuit and wild yeasts. Other saisons I've tried tend to be herbal (sometimes too much so) but the spicy cardamom is more crisp and perfectly fits a winter brew. The balanced flavors and body make this an extremely drinkable, tasty, original beer.
Serving type: bottle
01-26-2013 22:18:49 | More by HeightsEats
Sneak Attack Saison from 21st Amendment Brewery
80 out of 100 based on 412 ratings.