Sneak Attack Saison - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Hoptometrist on 01-04-2013

You might not expect a Saison in winter. But the enemy didn’t expect Washington to cross the icy Delaware, either. Expectations be damned, we say. We’re sneaking up on winter with a boatload of bravado and this Belgian-style farmhouse ale. Dry hopped with whole organic cardamom pods, our Saison has an assertive spiciness. In your face, winter.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sneak Attack Saison Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
4.39/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is another in a set I picked up on a whim while I was out of state (West Virginia doesn't have a lot of great options). I'm glad to present a fairly positive review on a 21st Amendment beer because I really didn't like their Back in Black I just reviewed.

A: Poured into a pint glass from a can. The beer is golden in color and poured a very light head. Carbonation is quite visible after the initial pour.

S: The smell of the beer is sweet like a fruity candy smell. Banana really jumps out to me. A really deep smell does yield a spring-like cut-grass odor.

T: Taste is great. It's very spicy but the advertised cardamom is present on the back end. I taste a bit of lemony flavor that at first tastes like a hard-lemonade, but does unfortauntely sort of fade off into a harsher bitter lemon zest.

M: Light, crisp and refreshing. Borders on watery, but I thought it was a comfortable drink. The beer does kind of cling a bit after the swallow, but it's not bad at all.

O: This beer is great. I'll admit I can sometimes be a sucker for nifty packaging and aside from being a farmhouse ale in a can, it's also a pretty great beer. I'd definitely consume this again. (1,183 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

At long last, a return to The CANQuest (TM), a misguided misadventure that seemingly knows no bounds.

From the CAN: "Farmhouse Ale brewed with Cardamom"; "38 IBUs"; the boat making the crossing is named "Endless SOMA", which is San Francisco-speak for South Of MArket (Street), which is where the brewpub makes its home. Clever!

The Crack & Glug was its usual joyousness and I went with an inverted Glug to celebrate the occasion. I had about a finger of fizzy, foaming, bone-white head initially, but it quickly reduced to wisps. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity and I almost wish that I had opened this over the bitterly cold weekend when no sun was evident. Nose had a definite yeast-borne mustiness along with a lemon-citrusiness and a spiciness that I could not identify, but which was probably the cardamom. Mouthfeel was medium but the spice and the yeast interacted to created liquid alum! Jeez-O, man, but this was dry! Arid, actually. It had a lemony citrus bite initially, followed by a jolt from the spice, then the yeasty mustiness took a shot at my palate. Finish was gaspingly dry, leaving me reaching for more. This could be like the snake eating its tail in terms of circularity. One sip begets another and so on ad infinitum. I would not want a steady diet, but this would be great in the summer. (1,334 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

12 oz can, 2013 edition, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a pretty, clear, golden, straw color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into an extremely thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed a few wispy clouds that sat atop of the beer.

Aroma: Nice aromas of Belgian yeast, banana, clove, barnyard, malt and freshly baked sourdough bread and honey.

Taste: Great! Strong flavors of citrus (orange and grapefruit) mixed with lightly toasted malt. There are notes of spices such as black pepper, coriander, clove, and Belgian yeast. Finally, there’s a little honey-like sweetness to round everything out. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Crisp and very effervescent due to a lot of carbonation. With an ABV of 6.2%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a very good American version of a Belgian Saison, and is the beer that made me a fan of Saisons. Big flavors, nicely balanced to make a delicious, refreshing quaff. I love this beer! (1,024 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last