Sneak Attack Saison - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Hoptometrist on 01-04-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sneak Attack Saison Alström Bros
xJMFCx

06-02-2014 23:25:24 | More by drtth
jellikit

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -11.1%

A: yellow. Hazy. Small head. No lacing. Small grain particles sunk to bottom of glass upon pouring.
S: essence of banana. Small spice notes.
T: medium maltiness. Belgian like flavors. Definite cardamom. Strange bitterness at the end/aftertaste.
M: medium to high carbonation. Medium body. Dry.
O: meh. Has a funky aftertaste. Kinda metallic or weird bitterness that is not a yeast profile. Had grain fragments in can.

05-23-2014 01:20:37 | More by jellikit

05-11-2014 20:00:44 | More by mikeburd1128
tmm313

Georgia

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%

A- Hazy dark yellow. Nice creamy head. Good lacing.

S- Yeast, lemon, apple, straw, light banana, and a pretty dominant spice I'm assuming is the cardamom.

T- Sweet apple, yeast, lemon, and funk up front. Also has some wheat characteristics and peppery spice. Nicely sour. Finish is super bitter, chalky, and drying. At times, painfully so. Bitter grapefruit aftertaste.

M- Medium body with crisp carbonation.

O- It was ok I guess, but I definitely walked away with the impression that cardamom just isn't my thing.

05-11-2014 19:57:14 | More by tmm313
artoolemomo

Oregon

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance- Pours up an okay amount of head which has decent retention. The head is a pure cotton white while the body is a dull and pale straw that appears as a bright, lemon yellow in the light. No real lacing is left behind. Maybe a spot or two.

Nose- The cardamom is pretty dominant on the nose but it is quickly followed by other spices and herbs. Coriander, lots of botanicals, and juniper (very reminiscent of gin) with light notes of apple and lemon in the background. Some white pepper. Swirling shows a brighter note of apple. Some banana. Some grassiness, some earth.

Taste- Starts off with a front of lemon with notes of apple in the background. Moves into aforementioned botanicals and juniper. Notes of clove, wood, earth, and grass on the finish. A pretty big linger of chalk and ash. Seems a little thin in comparison to the aroma. Not as much cardamom as on the nose either. After a while, most notes fade away and there is lemon, coriander, slight juniper, and chalk left. Some ashiness. Not intolerable but rather boring. I think that the best that I could rate this would be average. Okay for a saison in a can but I've had better from a can. This lacks too much presence and complexity to be more than average. It's similar to Stone Saison but without the in your face presence. A little more hopped than I would like a saison to be, especially considering there isn't much else to push back against the hops. This is, without a doubt, an extremely mediocre beer.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with maybe a little bit too much carbonation and a faint carbonic sting. Somewhat dry finish. Maybe a little watery.

Drinkability- Pretty easygoing but also fairly boring. It was only 7 bucks for a 6 pack and now I know the reason.

Overall- There are worse beers out there. Pretty much just average. I wouldn't worry about passing this up. This will not be a repurchase.

05-10-2014 02:40:47 | More by artoolemomo
etownhooligan

3.89/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Pale honey hue, slightly cloudy with a nice velvety head with ½ inch head, a thing of beauty.

S: Spiced notes abound over the strong yeast like characters. Hints of ginger detected faintly, slightly reminds me of Chinese Five Spice powder.

T: Lots of spices with a hint of some sort of citrus. I can definitely taste something that keeps reminding me of ginger. It is hard to pick out the different spice notes. It leave a slightly bitter after taste, but this grows more or less more pleasant as you sip and enjoy.

M: Medium bodied mouth feel, ample carbonation- just enough. It is much more pleasant after sitting a while on ones palate.

O: I was sold by the label, however silly that sounds. But I also was impressed by the Saison itself, I have not had many Saisons to my knowledge. I will later compare them. I must admit I like it much better after it has had time to breath and warm up. The flavors are much more robust and it seems to develop sweeter notes taste wise. Would I buy this again? Absolutely.

05-10-2014 01:46:23 | More by etownhooligan

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

05-04-2014 15:40:26 | More by ZEB89
Badger6

3.64/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz can (super fresh!) into a tulip.

A: Pale golden, hazy body. White fluffy head with super retention. Lots of lacing.

S: Yeasty and spicy with hints of citrus, and a little bit of wet grass. Overall the aroma is muted.

T: Bready malts, lots of spice, a touch of citrus and some grassy funk. The flavor is good, but it is slightly muddled.

M: Medium to heavy body, well carbonated though and it stays very drinkable.

O: A winter saison, bold call. This style, long before we had refrigeration and industrial farming only appeared in the spring...because that was when it was ready from the grains harvested at the end of the previous summer. Oh well, I like saisons, a lot. So I tried it. I enjoyed it, but I'll be frank...it isn't the best example of the style. I'd definitely drink again, and while my buddies are quaffing cans of the latest adjunct attempt at craft, I'll drink a few cans of this real craft.

05-04-2014 03:26:11 | More by Badger6

Panama

05-03-2014 01:25:51 | More by dmorgan310
mac31

3.64/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured in tulip from can.

Unfiltered, golden brew. White head dissipated quickly. Smells of floral bouquet and spice amongst a standard saison. The first few sips help adjust your palate for what's to come. A thin bodied saison. Fruity, floral, sweet is what I'm met with. I love saisons, so I enjoy the standard aspects of this saison. Rustic, stone fruit, especially apricot notes are present. The floral, potpourri nuances add some sweetness to the slightly sweet entry of this beer. The floral flavors conclude with a nuanced minty fresh finish, reminiscint of a mojito. Near the end of the palate you get those nice funk/farmhouse flavors that come through, balanced for the beer-a little lacking for my preference. I catch some muted cereal grains near the finish. There is some slight hoppiness that firms up near palates end. The beer doesn't appear to finish all that dry. The high carbonation (appropriate for style) masks the nice coating that this brew provides in the mouthfeel department. As the beers warms it reminds me of fragrant lotion. Overall, the floral/cardamom is a little much. Could do and would do in a flight of beers or order in a small amount, 4-6 oz. pour. A friend sent me a can. I would not commit to a sixer. I appreciate this spin on a saison, just a bit much cardamom for me. If you are going to buy a sixer from these guys go with the brew free or die trying IPA. Love that stuff, it's my go to "lawnmower" IPA, aside from the ABV. Cheers!

05-02-2014 15:45:26 | More by mac31