Join our email list →

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale | 6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Hoptometrist on 01-04-2013

You might not expect a Saison in winter. But the enemy didn’t expect Washington to cross the icy Delaware, either. Expectations be damned, we say. We’re sneaking up on winter with a boatload of bravado and this Belgian-style farmhouse ale. Dry hopped with whole organic cardamom pods, our Saison has an assertive spiciness. In your face, winter.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sneak Attack Saison Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.82/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had a can at Fireworks Restaurant in Brattleboro Vermont, poured into a cold pint glass.

Look--
Pleasant straw yellow with even haze throughout the column, little foam.

Smell--
Subtle lemon, banana ester that you might expect from a Hefeweisen like Hoegaarden. Enjoyable.

Taste--
Again reminded me of the notes in Hoegaarden, and good, but some sort of relative hole in the taste that I cannot describe….Perhaps I wanted a little more of that thick, syrupy banana taste that I expected from the scent. It may be that the saison style is supposed to be leaner, more crisp, and less sweet. More of that nice banana does linger as the beer warms, so I'd definitely suggest having this one luke cold.

Feel--
Hard to separate from the taste. Overall I really like what the beer has up front and I personally would prefer some of those qualities lingering. There is nothing new and unpleasant as it goes down. I just meant to say that I want the nice qualities of this beer to stick around longer after a sip.

Overall, I did enjoy this one (fun label art too, with the Crossing the Delaware reference). A lot of nice qualities that I wanted to get more of, like with Paulaner Hefeweisen's yeasty banana thing. On the other end, the few saisons I know well have that barnyard quality, which I do not get here. This one has a thin flavor profile to me but is still tasty and nicely balanced.

4.04/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 12 oz can (of course) into a tall goblet.

A - Pale golden yellow with a bit of haze, but mostly translucent. One finger of white bubbly head with very retention.

S - Spicy and yeasty. Hints of orange. Spot on for the style.

T - Bready with a decent amount of spice and again just a touch of citrus.

M - Slightly overwhelming in body, then the carbonation starts to do its trick. A little heavy on the finish.

O - I like the winter seasonal Fireside Chat better, but this is a decent saison.

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Apparently I really like cardamom; at least I assume that's where the delicious, unusual and hard-to-describe flavour of this enormously drinkable beer is coming from. I'm not big on fruity Belgian yeasts, but that character is very light here, and more than matched by the toasty, bright, slightly dry presumptive-cardamom taste. Bitterness is moderate and balanced by body, mouthfeel is clean and clear.

2.5/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A- yellow in color

S- spice aromas to me tastes like cloves.

T- strong clove or coriander taste not appetizing

M- hard to drink

O- not my type of beer

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

The head starts beautifully, but subsides quickly, and leaves little lacing, leaving the pale gold liquid. The taste is quite good, citrusy, highly-carbonated, moderately-hopped. The 6.2 ABV is masked fairly well.

And of course, great can art as usual from 21st amendment.

3.89/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pale honey hue, slightly cloudy with a nice velvety head with ½ inch head, a thing of beauty.

S: Spiced notes abound over the strong yeast like characters. Hints of ginger detected faintly, slightly reminds me of Chinese Five Spice powder.

T: Lots of spices with a hint of some sort of citrus. I can definitely taste something that keeps reminding me of ginger. It is hard to pick out the different spice notes. It leave a slightly bitter after taste, but this grows more or less more pleasant as you sip and enjoy.

M: Medium bodied mouth feel, ample carbonation- just enough. It is much more pleasant after sitting a while on ones palate.

O: I was sold by the label, however silly that sounds. But I also was impressed by the Saison itself, I have not had many Saisons to my knowledge. I will later compare them. I must admit I like it much better after it has had time to breath and warm up. The flavors are much more robust and it seems to develop sweeter notes taste wise. Would I buy this again? Absolutely.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last