Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Sneak Attack Saison | 21st Amendment Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Sneak Attack SaisonSneak Attack Saison

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

You might not expect a Saison in winter. But the enemy didn’t expect Washington to cross the icy Delaware, either. Expectations be damned, we say. We’re sneaking up on winter with a boatload of bravado and this Belgian-style farmhouse ale. Dry hopped with whole organic cardamom pods, our Saison has an assertive spiciness. In your face, winter.

Added by Hoptometrist on 01-04-2013

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 112 | Ratings: 604
3.94/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a light, hazy, golden yellow with a one finger white head. The nose is pretty welcoming. Cardamom, lemon, hay, slightly yeasty, with a very slight malt sweetness. The flavor is okay. The cardamom completely overwhelms the other flavors and the carbonation is too high. I would like a little more presence of that barnyard funk. It's not bad just not great.

2.66/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Frosty 12 oz can into pint glass

Appearance - Hazy golden, fizzy 1 finger head dissipates to almost nothing, not much lacing.

Smell - Fruity yeast, quite spicy with the advertised cardamom being apparent, slight funk, fairly interesting and unique.

Feel/Taste - Prickly carbonation, medium/heavy body. Flavor starts out very, very medicinal - an herbal minty note, yeasty clove phenols, cardamom spice is fairly strong and cloying, then moves into straight up bandaid/tire rubber funk flavor and slight graininess. Finishes dry and a bit astringent. What seemed kind of intriguing in the smell just doesn't work in the flavor.

Overall - Admittedly, I haven't tried a great deal of saisons, but this one has been the most unappealing thus far. Mouthfeel isn't very crisp and seems disjointed with the weird bandaid/rubber funk and spice flavors. Not a big fan of the astringent finish. It's difficult taking down this sixer.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured in tulip from can.

Unfiltered, golden brew. White head dissipated quickly. Smells of floral bouquet and spice amongst a standard saison. The first few sips help adjust your palate for what's to come. A thin bodied saison. Fruity, floral, sweet is what I'm met with. I love saisons, so I enjoy the standard aspects of this saison. Rustic, stone fruit, especially apricot notes are present. The floral, potpourri nuances add some sweetness to the slightly sweet entry of this beer. The floral flavors conclude with a nuanced minty fresh finish, reminiscint of a mojito. Near the end of the palate you get those nice funk/farmhouse flavors that come through, balanced for the beer-a little lacking for my preference. I catch some muted cereal grains near the finish. There is some slight hoppiness that firms up near palates end. The beer doesn't appear to finish all that dry. The high carbonation (appropriate for style) masks the nice coating that this brew provides in the mouthfeel department. As the beers warms it reminds me of fragrant lotion. Overall, the floral/cardamom is a little much. Could do and would do in a flight of beers or order in a small amount, 4-6 oz. pour. A friend sent me a can. I would not commit to a sixer. I appreciate this spin on a saison, just a bit much cardamom for me. If you are going to buy a sixer from these guys go with the brew free or die trying IPA. Love that stuff, it's my go to "lawnmower" IPA, aside from the ABV. Cheers!

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark golden brown with a nice head. Smell is biscuit malt and grass with a little bit of yeast. The flavor is dry but not bitter, with a clean finish and strong cardamom flavor with overtones of biscuit and wild yeasts. Other saisons I've tried tend to be herbal (sometimes too much so) but the spicy cardamom is more crisp and perfectly fits a winter brew. The balanced flavors and body make this an extremely drinkable, tasty, original beer.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hazy yellow saison with a large head that dissipates a little too quickly. Aroma is heavy on peppercorns and lemon zest with noticeable alcohol. Sparkling carbonation, spicy on the tongue, bone dry. Very light flavors here. Some lemon, lots of peppercorn and spices, finishes with spicy hop bitterness.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

I would sum this one up by asking if you liked chai latte's? I know this sounds odd but this beer resembles that smooth spicy flavor you've loved from one of my favorite specialty coffee drinks. At a whopping 6.2% alc/vol you would never of guessed for how easy this one goes down. (Wouldn't have guessed it was alcoholic at times) If you were looking for a more traditional saison you may step back and wonder why it wasn't spot on, but it does post right on the can it is brewed with cardamom so right away if you didn't know what that was, you shouldn't haven't been surprised this beer had a more exotic flavor. Only for the better in my opinion, this beer is fantastic and drinks just like any other summer celebration beer. I hope you'll enjoy!

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had a can at Fireworks Restaurant in Brattleboro Vermont, poured into a cold pint glass.

Look--
Pleasant straw yellow with even haze throughout the column, little foam.

Smell--
Subtle lemon, banana ester that you might expect from a Hefeweisen like Hoegaarden. Enjoyable.

Taste--
Again reminded me of the notes in Hoegaarden, and good, but some sort of relative hole in the taste that I cannot describe….Perhaps I wanted a little more of that thick, syrupy banana taste that I expected from the scent. It may be that the saison style is supposed to be leaner, more crisp, and less sweet. More of that nice banana does linger as the beer warms, so I'd definitely suggest having this one luke cold.

Feel--
Hard to separate from the taste. Overall I really like what the beer has up front and I personally would prefer some of those qualities lingering. There is nothing new and unpleasant as it goes down. I just meant to say that I want the nice qualities of this beer to stick around longer after a sip.

Overall, I did enjoy this one (fun label art too, with the Crossing the Delaware reference). A lot of nice qualities that I wanted to get more of, like with Paulaner Hefeweisen's yeasty banana thing. On the other end, the few saisons I know well have that barnyard quality, which I do not get here. This one has a thin flavor profile to me but is still tasty and nicely balanced.

4.04/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 12 oz can (of course) into a tall goblet.

A - Pale golden yellow with a bit of haze, but mostly translucent. One finger of white bubbly head with very retention.

S - Spicy and yeasty. Hints of orange. Spot on for the style.

T - Bready with a decent amount of spice and again just a touch of citrus.

M - Slightly overwhelming in body, then the carbonation starts to do its trick. A little heavy on the finish.

O - I like the winter seasonal Fireside Chat better, but this is a decent saison.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Apparently I really like cardamom; at least I assume that's where the delicious, unusual and hard-to-describe flavour of this enormously drinkable beer is coming from. I'm not big on fruity Belgian yeasts, but that character is very light here, and more than matched by the toasty, bright, slightly dry presumptive-cardamom taste. Bitterness is moderate and balanced by body, mouthfeel is clean and clear.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A- yellow in color

S- spice aromas to me tastes like cloves.

T- strong clove or coriander taste not appetizing

M- hard to drink

O- not my type of beer

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pale honey hue, slightly cloudy with a nice velvety head with ½ inch head, a thing of beauty.

S: Spiced notes abound over the strong yeast like characters. Hints of ginger detected faintly, slightly reminds me of Chinese Five Spice powder.

T: Lots of spices with a hint of some sort of citrus. I can definitely taste something that keeps reminding me of ginger. It is hard to pick out the different spice notes. It leave a slightly bitter after taste, but this grows more or less more pleasant as you sip and enjoy.

M: Medium bodied mouth feel, ample carbonation- just enough. It is much more pleasant after sitting a while on ones palate.

O: I was sold by the label, however silly that sounds. But I also was impressed by the Saison itself, I have not had many Saisons to my knowledge. I will later compare them. I must admit I like it much better after it has had time to breath and warm up. The flavors are much more robust and it seems to develop sweeter notes taste wise. Would I buy this again? Absolutely.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

The head starts beautifully, but subsides quickly, and leaves little lacing, leaving the pale gold liquid. The taste is quite good, citrusy, highly-carbonated, moderately-hopped. The 6.2 ABV is masked fairly well.

And of course, great can art as usual from 21st amendment.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last