Sneak Attack Saison - 21st Amendment Brewery

Sneak Attack SaisonSneak Attack Saison

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Hoptometrist on 01-04-2013

You might not expect a Saison in winter. But the enemy didn’t expect Washington to cross the icy Delaware, either. Expectations be damned, we say. We’re sneaking up on winter with a boatload of bravado and this Belgian-style farmhouse ale. Dry hopped with whole organic cardamom pods, our Saison has an assertive spiciness. In your face, winter.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sneak Attack Saison Alström Bros
4.39/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is another in a set I picked up on a whim while I was out of state (West Virginia doesn't have a lot of great options). I'm glad to present a fairly positive review on a 21st Amendment beer because I really didn't like their Back in Black I just reviewed.

A: Poured into a pint glass from a can. The beer is golden in color and poured a very light head. Carbonation is quite visible after the initial pour.

S: The smell of the beer is sweet like a fruity candy smell. Banana really jumps out to me. A really deep smell does yield a spring-like cut-grass odor.

T: Taste is great. It's very spicy but the advertised cardamom is present on the back end. I taste a bit of lemony flavor that at first tastes like a hard-lemonade, but does unfortauntely sort of fade off into a harsher bitter lemon zest.

M: Light, crisp and refreshing. Borders on watery, but I thought it was a comfortable drink. The beer does kind of cling a bit after the swallow, but it's not bad at all.

O: This beer is great. I'll admit I can sometimes be a sucker for nifty packaging and aside from being a farmhouse ale in a can, it's also a pretty great beer. I'd definitely consume this again.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a cloudy pale yellow amber, with a fair amount of fizzy white head. A thin layer retains, leaving good lacing.

S: Yeasty and sweet, pretty standard for a saison. Pleasant enough, though not outstanding.

T: Medium sweetness, with the yeasty not-quite-funky saison coming through as well. Again, good, not amazing.

M: Medium body, medium to strong carbonation.

Overall, it's a solid saison. It's probably not going to be the best or most unique saison you'll ever try, but it's enjoyable, and it's also more easily available and affordable than the average saison.

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass, developed a light head which dissipated fairly quickly. Appearance was a cloudy straw. Aroma was very unusual, though I'm not to familiar with saisan style, was strong of spice and citrus, spice was like cardamom. Taste was light, almost woody with citrus and cardamom hints. Mouthfeel was light and carbonated with the aftertaste being spicy and lasting.

3.45/5  rDev -3.4%

A- Hazy dark yellow. Nice creamy head. Good lacing.

S- Yeast, lemon, apple, straw, light banana, and a pretty dominant spice I'm assuming is the cardamom.

T- Sweet apple, yeast, lemon, and funk up front. Also has some wheat characteristics and peppery spice. Nicely sour. Finish is super bitter, chalky, and drying. At times, painfully so. Bitter grapefruit aftertaste.

M- Medium body with crisp carbonation.

O- It was ok I guess, but I definitely walked away with the impression that cardamom just isn't my thing.

3.2/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Can poured into pint glass.

half inch head that dissipates quickly. beautiful golden yellow color with lots of carbonation at first that continues to bubble throughout the drinking experience.

Smell is ok, defintely strong/dominated by the cardamom. slightly sour.

Taste: 38 IBUs, but sour hint is definitely evident. Cardamom is pretty overwhelming and meets the box discription of "in your face." enjoyable at first but wanes as you drink. This is a winter take on a typically summer beer. I am not really familiar with Saisons, but the taste does have a "Farmhouse" quality to it.

Mouthfeel: slightly thin, but summery. little tangy in back of mouth.

Overall: I would definitely try another more traditional Saison before drinking this again. The brewery does got props for marketing and naming, as Sneak Attack is fitting for something brewed out of season. Art work on can is fun. Would try other ones of their beers.

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pale yellow, translucent, 2 finger head
S - sharp aromatic smell of fruits, cardamom is very dominant, can detect some other spices, underlying smell of banana, slight nutty smell
T - very sweet, strong taste of cardamom, pineapple and bananas, very slight bitterness left on the palette that follows the sweetness
M - watery and light, sharp taste
O - The cardamom is very strong here and doesn't leave much taste/smell other things, which is both a good and bad thing. I enjoyed this beer overall and would drink it again. I personally really liked how the beer smelled and tasted. The strong cardamom was welcoming with the fruity and nutty undertones being barely present but still existing. Good saison overall.

4.24/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sneak Attack Saison brewed by 21st Amendment Brewery, with an ABV of 6.20% This brew pours out a amber color with a nice white head. The smell is rich with flavors. You pick up on spices, malts, and grains. The taste is bold with spice and grains. There is a lot going on in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice, clean and refreshing. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. Overall I'm giving Sneak Attack Saison a 4.25 out of 5 . I would buy this brew again.

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked these cans up a few months ago just wanting to try. Pours a hazy gold and instantly smell spice, citrus and biscuits. Taste instantly citrusy and bready with a hit of fall spices. Not initially bitter but there is a late bitterness that lingers in somewhat of an unpleasant way.
Overall this beer is okay, I would possibly buy it again but not seek it out

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into pint glass:

A: Ok head settles to barely a covering, opaque but not cloudy, very very pale gold

S: Smells like a typical wheat beer, wheaty malt, defintely some lemon too, not sure what cardamom smells like but it is definitely present and unique

T: Cardomom flavor comes through very strongly, tastes like a beer mixed drink, too strong for me, but interesting

M: Medium light body, lower carbonation than I expected, feels smooth

O: Good, just not my thing

3.64/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from can into tulip glass. Pale golden opaque. Tall frothy head, dissipates quickly. Smells sweet, that classic saison smell which I cannot characterize... I guess it is cardamom. Mild hop flavor, yeastyness, and light sweetness. Mild carbonation. Overall good beer but my mind is not blown.

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: [4.50] The beer is a transparent straw color. It is pale compared to most beers. There is very little head - just a white covering on the beer. Lots of nucleation bubbles from the bottom. The can lists the best by date 4/30/15, the ABV 6.2% and the IBUs at 38. As an aside I also like the art on the can. Kind of a spin off of Washington crossing the Delaware - but in all beach otfits.

S: [2.50] Funky yeast. Heavy wet wheat. Earth tones.

T: [3.50] The front of the palate is Belgian yeast/wheat. But the mid palate transforms to something different (better). It has a nice citrus flavor. The finish is a combination of both flavors.

M: [3.75] It is on the carbonated side of things. The overall feel is decent - not too watery.

O: [3.25] I think this would be a decent beer on a dock or a beach. It seems a little out of place on a 7 degree day in Buffalo. The citrus flavor really livens up what I thought would be a big mouthful of Belgian wheat and yeast. I would drink this again just to say I have a "go to" Saison.

2.79/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

For Saison this was pretty tame, It looks, tastes and feels more like a Pils than a Saison to me. Very minimal sourness and mild bread slightly sweet flavor. The head retention was way less than what I expect from the style. Not a bad beer but If I am in the mood for a Saison I will look elsewhere.

3.14/5  rDev -12%

A: yellow. Hazy. Small head. No lacing. Small grain particles sunk to bottom of glass upon pouring.
S: essence of banana. Small spice notes.
T: medium maltiness. Belgian like flavors. Definite cardamom. Strange bitterness at the end/aftertaste.
M: medium to high carbonation. Medium body. Dry.
O: meh. Has a funky aftertaste. Kinda metallic or weird bitterness that is not a yeast profile. Had grain fragments in can.

3.16/5  rDev -11.5%

Canned on 1/14/13

Pours cloudy straw yellow with a small head smells of lemon and grapefruit taste follows the nose with a hint of grass and black pepper. Mouthfeel and carbonation are both on the soft side. Good seasonal but here in ny I think its the wrong season for it.

3.5/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a tulip glass.

A - Hazy pale yellow with an initial big white head that quickly receded to a slight white covering.

S - Definitely get the Cardamon along with some spice and peppery notes.

T - Starts out as a subdued Saison, some nice bitterness and then you get a hit of the Cardamon, some citrus and spice. Long finish that lingers.

M - medium bodied, medium carbonation

O- Not a bad Saison, less sweet the traditional ones.

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz can (super fresh!) into a tulip.

A: Pale golden, hazy body. White fluffy head with super retention. Lots of lacing.

S: Yeasty and spicy with hints of citrus, and a little bit of wet grass. Overall the aroma is muted.

T: Bready malts, lots of spice, a touch of citrus and some grassy funk. The flavor is good, but it is slightly muddled.

M: Medium to heavy body, well carbonated though and it stays very drinkable.

O: A winter saison, bold call. This style, long before we had refrigeration and industrial farming only appeared in the spring...because that was when it was ready from the grains harvested at the end of the previous summer. Oh well, I like saisons, a lot. So I tried it. I enjoyed it, but I'll be frank...it isn't the best example of the style. I'd definitely drink again, and while my buddies are quaffing cans of the latest adjunct attempt at craft, I'll drink a few cans of this real craft.

1.43/5  rDev -59.9%

Either I got a bad six pack, or this beer is terrible. It didn't smell or taste good, and had just a horrible aftertaste. I tried 3 different cans, all bad.

3.94/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a light, hazy, golden yellow with a one finger white head. The nose is pretty welcoming. Cardamom, lemon, hay, slightly yeasty, with a very slight malt sweetness. The flavor is okay. The cardamom completely overwhelms the other flavors and the carbonation is too high. I would like a little more presence of that barnyard funk. It's not bad just not great.

3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The great can design attracted me... The above average taste will make this a repeat buy. Very good...but not great or super "memorable." I'll be interested to try other selections from this brewer.

2.66/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Frosty 12 oz can into pint glass

Appearance - Hazy golden, fizzy 1 finger head dissipates to almost nothing, not much lacing.

Smell - Fruity yeast, quite spicy with the advertised cardamom being apparent, slight funk, fairly interesting and unique.

Feel/Taste - Prickly carbonation, medium/heavy body. Flavor starts out very, very medicinal - an herbal minty note, yeasty clove phenols, cardamom spice is fairly strong and cloying, then moves into straight up bandaid/tire rubber funk flavor and slight graininess. Finishes dry and a bit astringent. What seemed kind of intriguing in the smell just doesn't work in the flavor.

Overall - Admittedly, I haven't tried a great deal of saisons, but this one has been the most unappealing thus far. Mouthfeel isn't very crisp and seems disjointed with the weird bandaid/rubber funk and spice flavors. Not a big fan of the astringent finish. It's difficult taking down this sixer.

4.23/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark golden brown with a nice head. Smell is biscuit malt and grass with a little bit of yeast. The flavor is dry but not bitter, with a clean finish and strong cardamom flavor with overtones of biscuit and wild yeasts. Other saisons I've tried tend to be herbal (sometimes too much so) but the spicy cardamom is more crisp and perfectly fits a winter brew. The balanced flavors and body make this an extremely drinkable, tasty, original beer.

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured in tulip from can.

Unfiltered, golden brew. White head dissipated quickly. Smells of floral bouquet and spice amongst a standard saison. The first few sips help adjust your palate for what's to come. A thin bodied saison. Fruity, floral, sweet is what I'm met with. I love saisons, so I enjoy the standard aspects of this saison. Rustic, stone fruit, especially apricot notes are present. The floral, potpourri nuances add some sweetness to the slightly sweet entry of this beer. The floral flavors conclude with a nuanced minty fresh finish, reminiscint of a mojito. Near the end of the palate you get those nice funk/farmhouse flavors that come through, balanced for the beer-a little lacking for my preference. I catch some muted cereal grains near the finish. There is some slight hoppiness that firms up near palates end. The beer doesn't appear to finish all that dry. The high carbonation (appropriate for style) masks the nice coating that this brew provides in the mouthfeel department. As the beers warms it reminds me of fragrant lotion. Overall, the floral/cardamom is a little much. Could do and would do in a flight of beers or order in a small amount, 4-6 oz. pour. A friend sent me a can. I would not commit to a sixer. I appreciate this spin on a saison, just a bit much cardamom for me. If you are going to buy a sixer from these guys go with the brew free or die trying IPA. Love that stuff, it's my go to "lawnmower" IPA, aside from the ABV. Cheers!

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hazy yellow saison with a large head that dissipates a little too quickly. Aroma is heavy on peppercorns and lemon zest with noticeable alcohol. Sparkling carbonation, spicy on the tongue, bone dry. Very light flavors here. Some lemon, lots of peppercorn and spices, finishes with spicy hop bitterness.

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

I would sum this one up by asking if you liked chai latte's? I know this sounds odd but this beer resembles that smooth spicy flavor you've loved from one of my favorite specialty coffee drinks. At a whopping 6.2% alc/vol you would never of guessed for how easy this one goes down. (Wouldn't have guessed it was alcoholic at times) If you were looking for a more traditional saison you may step back and wonder why it wasn't spot on, but it does post right on the can it is brewed with cardamom so right away if you didn't know what that was, you shouldn't haven't been surprised this beer had a more exotic flavor. Only for the better in my opinion, this beer is fantastic and drinks just like any other summer celebration beer. I hope you'll enjoy!

3.82/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had a can at Fireworks Restaurant in Brattleboro Vermont, poured into a cold pint glass.

Pleasant straw yellow with even haze throughout the column, little foam.

Subtle lemon, banana ester that you might expect from a Hefeweisen like Hoegaarden. Enjoyable.

Again reminded me of the notes in Hoegaarden, and good, but some sort of relative hole in the taste that I cannot describe….Perhaps I wanted a little more of that thick, syrupy banana taste that I expected from the scent. It may be that the saison style is supposed to be leaner, more crisp, and less sweet. More of that nice banana does linger as the beer warms, so I'd definitely suggest having this one luke cold.

Hard to separate from the taste. Overall I really like what the beer has up front and I personally would prefer some of those qualities lingering. There is nothing new and unpleasant as it goes down. I just meant to say that I want the nice qualities of this beer to stick around longer after a sip.

Overall, I did enjoy this one (fun label art too, with the Crossing the Delaware reference). A lot of nice qualities that I wanted to get more of, like with Paulaner Hefeweisen's yeasty banana thing. On the other end, the few saisons I know well have that barnyard quality, which I do not get here. This one has a thin flavor profile to me but is still tasty and nicely balanced.

Sneak Attack Saison from 21st Amendment Brewery