Sneak Attack Saison - 21st Amendment Brewery

good

good

21st Amendment Brewery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Hoptometrist on 01-04-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sneak Attack Saison Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance- Pours up an okay amount of head which has decent retention. The head is a pure cotton white while the body is a dull and pale straw that appears as a bright, lemon yellow in the light. No real lacing is left behind. Maybe a spot or two.

Nose- The cardamom is pretty dominant on the nose but it is quickly followed by other spices and herbs. Coriander, lots of botanicals, and juniper (very reminiscent of gin) with light notes of apple and lemon in the background. Some white pepper. Swirling shows a brighter note of apple. Some banana. Some grassiness, some earth.

Taste- Starts off with a front of lemon with notes of apple in the background. Moves into aforementioned botanicals and juniper. Notes of clove, wood, earth, and grass on the finish. A pretty big linger of chalk and ash. Seems a little thin in comparison to the aroma. Not as much cardamom as on the nose either. After a while, most notes fade away and there is lemon, coriander, slight juniper, and chalk left. Some ashiness. Not intolerable but rather boring. I think that the best that I could rate this would be average. Okay for a saison in a can but I've had better from a can. This lacks too much presence and complexity to be more than average. It's similar to Stone Saison but without the in your face presence. A little more hopped than I would like a saison to be, especially considering there isn't much else to push back against the hops. This is, without a doubt, an extremely mediocre beer.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with maybe a little bit too much carbonation and a faint carbonic sting. Somewhat dry finish. Maybe a little watery.

Drinkability- Pretty easygoing but also fairly boring. It was only 7 bucks for a 6 pack and now I know the reason.

Overall- There are worse beers out there. Pretty much just average. I wouldn't worry about passing this up. This will not be a repurchase.

artoolemomo, May 10, 2014
3.89/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pale honey hue, slightly cloudy with a nice velvety head with ½ inch head, a thing of beauty.

S: Spiced notes abound over the strong yeast like characters. Hints of ginger detected faintly, slightly reminds me of Chinese Five Spice powder.

T: Lots of spices with a hint of some sort of citrus. I can definitely taste something that keeps reminding me of ginger. It is hard to pick out the different spice notes. It leave a slightly bitter after taste, but this grows more or less more pleasant as you sip and enjoy.

M: Medium bodied mouth feel, ample carbonation- just enough. It is much more pleasant after sitting a while on ones palate.

O: I was sold by the label, however silly that sounds. But I also was impressed by the Saison itself, I have not had many Saisons to my knowledge. I will later compare them. I must admit I like it much better after it has had time to breath and warm up. The flavors are much more robust and it seems to develop sweeter notes taste wise. Would I buy this again? Absolutely.

etownhooligan, May 10, 2014

MrGone, May 08, 2014

NOLANDMAN, May 06, 2014

kvgomps, May 05, 2014

wrightst, May 05, 2014

ZEB89, May 04, 2014
3.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz can (super fresh!) into a tulip.

A: Pale golden, hazy body. White fluffy head with super retention. Lots of lacing.

S: Yeasty and spicy with hints of citrus, and a little bit of wet grass. Overall the aroma is muted.

T: Bready malts, lots of spice, a touch of citrus and some grassy funk. The flavor is good, but it is slightly muddled.

M: Medium to heavy body, well carbonated though and it stays very drinkable.

O: A winter saison, bold call. This style, long before we had refrigeration and industrial farming only appeared in the spring...because that was when it was ready from the grains harvested at the end of the previous summer. Oh well, I like saisons, a lot. So I tried it. I enjoyed it, but I'll be frank...it isn't the best example of the style. I'd definitely drink again, and while my buddies are quaffing cans of the latest adjunct attempt at craft, I'll drink a few cans of this real craft.

Badger6, May 04, 2014

NoProblem, May 04, 2014

fishguyac, May 03, 2014

dmorgan310, May 03, 2014
3.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured in tulip from can.

Unfiltered, golden brew. White head dissipated quickly. Smells of floral bouquet and spice amongst a standard saison. The first few sips help adjust your palate for what's to come. A thin bodied saison. Fruity, floral, sweet is what I'm met with. I love saisons, so I enjoy the standard aspects of this saison. Rustic, stone fruit, especially apricot notes are present. The floral, potpourri nuances add some sweetness to the slightly sweet entry of this beer. The floral flavors conclude with a nuanced minty fresh finish, reminiscint of a mojito. Near the end of the palate you get those nice funk/farmhouse flavors that come through, balanced for the beer-a little lacking for my preference. I catch some muted cereal grains near the finish. There is some slight hoppiness that firms up near palates end. The beer doesn't appear to finish all that dry. The high carbonation (appropriate for style) masks the nice coating that this brew provides in the mouthfeel department. As the beers warms it reminds me of fragrant lotion. Overall, the floral/cardamom is a little much. Could do and would do in a flight of beers or order in a small amount, 4-6 oz. pour. A friend sent me a can. I would not commit to a sixer. I appreciate this spin on a saison, just a bit much cardamom for me. If you are going to buy a sixer from these guys go with the brew free or die trying IPA. Love that stuff, it's my go to "lawnmower" IPA, aside from the ABV. Cheers!

mac31, May 02, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

wisegreensoul, May 01, 2014

tpacek, Apr 30, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

Waveoff, Apr 29, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -28.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy goldenstraw; for a Belgian style, the head is underwhelming, as is the lacing

Smell: Bread and cardamom; possibly a hint of acetone

Taste: Bready, up front, and then the candi sugar, Belgian yeast and cardamom take over; there is quite a medicinal character going on, verging on acetone, though also infused with lemon; the hops linger into the finish, bringing a surprising amount of grassy bitterness

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Way too much cardamom and the beer just has too many other negative attributes for me to want to spend any more time with it; drain pour

brentk56, Apr 27, 2014

vinylrooster, Apr 27, 2014

Shatter, Apr 26, 2014

atrocity, Apr 25, 2014
3.81/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

a: Hazy, pale yellow; poured with a short lived fizzy head.

s: Lots of something I haven't smelled very often. Can says cardamom so I'll go with that. Mineral-y pils malt, lemon grass, and peppery yeast.

t: Plenty of what I guess is cardamom dominates. Odd, but it works pretty well. A bit funky which is nice, some lemon and pepper as well. A little grainy sweetness too.

m: A tad bit heavy for the style, but nicely effervescent.

o: No classic saison here, but this was pretty damn good nonetheless.

DIM, Apr 24, 2014

bacher468, Apr 24, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 12 oz can (of course) into a tall goblet.

A - Pale golden yellow with a bit of haze, but mostly translucent. One finger of white bubbly head with very retention.

S - Spicy and yeasty. Hints of orange. Spot on for the style.

T - Bready with a decent amount of spice and again just a touch of citrus.

M - Slightly overwhelming in body, then the carbonation starts to do its trick. A little heavy on the finish.

O - I like the winter seasonal Fireside Chat better, but this is a decent saison.

FocusDave, Apr 24, 2014

dannyfayy, Apr 21, 2014

mac8113, Apr 20, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +17%

I would sum this one up by asking if you liked chai latte's? I know this sounds odd but this beer resembles that smooth spicy flavor you've loved from one of my favorite specialty coffee drinks. At a whopping 6.2% alc/vol you would never of guessed for how easy this one goes down. (Wouldn't have guessed it was alcoholic at times) If you were looking for a more traditional saison you may step back and wonder why it wasn't spot on, but it does post right on the can it is brewed with cardamom so right away if you didn't know what that was, you shouldn't haven't been surprised this beer had a more exotic flavor. Only for the better in my opinion, this beer is fantastic and drinks just like any other summer celebration beer. I hope you'll enjoy!

Zachior, Apr 20, 2014