Follow our progress ...

Style: English Strong Ale

Added by johnnnniee on 07-02-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 21
3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the BNA 8 party at World Cafe Live Philadelphia
Pours a deep copper color with a smallish off white head that quickly dissipates to a cap on top. Smells of caramel and toffee with hints of dark fruits and an earthy mineraly nose. The flavor is sweet with lots of dark and burnt sugars and fruity maltiness. Light earthy hop flavor tries in vain to cut through the sweetness. Medium to thick body with a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel and a light level of carbonation. Decent beer, but a bit big and sweet for my taste.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

So, I am sitting in Luciano's Italian Brick Oven in Mars PA - a place not known for its beers. When I see this offering. Of course I pulled up BA to see what this is all about and I learn this is a limited release with only 5 reviews. What on God's Green Earth is it doing in this place with just 7 taps, and three of them being mass-produced domestics? I just had to get that out of the way, because I am still perplexed by it.
So the beer ... It came in a standard pint (of course). It was mahogany colored with an inch of cream-colored head. Aromas of biscuit and light molasses were present. The taste, to me, was more Belgian-style ale than English-style ale. More yeasty than malty. The alcohol was subtly subdued by the slight sweetness. This one could sneak up on you. Overall, a pretty tasty beer. Admittedly not my preferred style, but I think it is a fair representation of its category.
And, if you're at Luciano's, it's a MUCH better choice than Bud, Yuengling, or Coors. ;)

Imperial Jack ESB from 21st Amendment Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.