Fantôme Black Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Black GhostFantôme Black Ghost

poor

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: francisweizen on 01-06-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Black Ghost Alström Bros

I have been looking around for this for some time and was very happy that i found it and picked it up.
pours a deep rich mahogany brown with hints of ruby tones when held to the light. A nice 3 finger head appears and stays leaving great lace throughout.
Aroma was chocolate, cherries, plums and other fruity esters.
Taste was of chocolate covered cherries with hints of plum and caramel fudge. This was full bodied smooth, rich and leaves a very heavy coating in the mouth that lingers and leaves you wanting more. Definite must try if your in to artisan belgian ales.

4.97/5  rDev +29.1%

Fantome Black Ghost was served from a 750ml capped and corked bottle. In a Duvel tulip the beer was nearly black, with a vague murky reddish-orange brown quality. This was topped by an amazingly rich and creamy voluminous tan head that left thick blankets lacing where ever it touched. The extrordinarily multifaceted nose presented a creamy black cherry mocha-ness, accompanied by an invigorating acidic soda edge and aromas of rich musty earth, kiwi fruit, and flowers. On the palate, an assertively acidic yet creamy black cherry hits with superb intensity and vigor. Accents of ginger, red wine, and licorice arose and gave way to a sharp dry finish that held light lingering notes of mocha/coffee, cranberries, and cherry. These heavenly flavors were held up by a moderately full and smooth body, and were powered by a perfect degree of tingly carbonation. Its amazing how this beer (and Fantome beers in general) can attain such acidiity, yet exude such smoothness and creaminess at the same time...it seems paradoxical. Once again, a Fantome brew has captivated and satisfied me to the core of my being. Another masterpiece from Dany, perhaps his crowning achievement!

Enormous thanks to skyhand for makng this experience possible!

4.97/5  rDev +29.1%

A tesselation of beer, shapes emerging from other shapes and suddenly the whole picture is changed.

Opaque. Slightly darker than milk chocolate brown. The head is tan and fizzy. It's pretty, but nothing special, right?

Lemon, straw, earthy funk then a mildly obscured fruit cocktail then leather then that tart, earthy funk again, then some more leather then the fruit jumps out... what the hell is going on? There's a definite spice... I'll call it white pepper. This nose is incredible, and it simply won't stand still.

When is crosses your toungue, it's thinner in body than you'd expect, but it's not watery. It's bubbly enough, easy to sip. So unnassuming.

How do I describe the taste? Like the scent, it seems to change seamlessly from one shape to the next. At first, there's a lemony tartness with root celler must and funk. Then there's spicy white pepper, followed with chardonnay. It has some leather, and some strange, sundrenched flavor that I have no words to explain. Now it's Pumpernickel. One constant is the dark, musty aspect. If I was a ghost, I'd hang out in cellars as well.

When it finishes, it's Chardonnay with lemon zest in a root cellar. Next, it pretends that it's going back to that spicy white pepper but no, a moment later your mouth is filled with nutty cocoa powder. That taste hangs on your tounge forever.

I've had this beer before, but for some reason, this time I saw the ghost...

Phantasmal excellence.

4.93/5  rDev +28.1%

I got a bottle of this last night and was blown away. I actually was so riled up about the beer (and a little tipsy, admittedly) that I deleted my whole review cause I wasn't paying attention. Oh well, gave me an excuse to go get it again tonight! Let me just start off with this... HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS. This beer is nothing like I could've ever imagined. So complex. Pours a dark dark almost black brown color with a good amount of head that sticks around long enough to tell some ghost stories. When I poured this I thought my socks smelled real bad but it turned out to be the beer. I don't know why that dirty, stinky, rotten, cellar puddle smell is so wonderful, but somehow it is. That funk-nastyness comes out in the taste as well, so odd and moldy tasting. Once again, I don't know what it is that makes this grossness taste good, but it's doing it's job. Maybe it's the ghost... BOO! In addition to the garbage taste there's a nice, flavorful Belgian dark ale in there. Ripe dark fruits galore, chocolaty, some figs and prunes or something. Also a nice alcohol taste to it, like aged bourbon or whiskey barrel flavor. Nice woody character. A bit wine like. I could stay here and drink a few of these and create a super long list of all the odd tastes I'm getting here but I'll let you experience it for yourself as you should. I sometimes sit around and try to think of a "new" color. It never works. I always think I get there and then really it's just a combination of two other colors. Well this to me is a totally new taste. Really amazing. If I could rate it higher than 5 I would. Nice medium smooth mouthfeel here. A real pleasure, challenge, and overall experience to drink. Every sip is a new little adventure. I know I'm getting a little carried away here but this beer is so insane. Go scare yourself.

4.9/5  rDev +27.3%

Presentation: A 750ml bottle, sampled at the Brasserie Fantôme Café during a recent Brewery Tour and sampling at the Café. The mainstay offerings were great, but thanks to Barry Smith, the Brewer at the Tigertops Brewery and a friend of Dany Prignon, a small group of us managed to share a bottle of what is often referred to as one of Dany’s masterpiece creations. Unlike the BA moniker, the bottle we enjoyed had a purple (as opposed to dark blue) and black background. The Black Ghost is a limited Edition brew, and we were all honored to be able to sample it – especially at the Brewery.

Appearance: Dirty, turbid, black, thick and dangerous. When held to the light, I knew there was something in the beer moving around, but it was almost impossible to see into this beer. I had the second glass and thankfully avoided the heavy sediment, or at least I think I did, it was hard to tell to be honest. The head was light brown, smooth and creamy it left thick rings on my Goblet glass every time I took a sip.

Nose: WOW. The aromas explode long before you get to stick your nose into this one. Dark chocolates, daffodils, freshly rotavated earth mixed with a strong smell of straw, polished leather and deep roasted coffee beans – they all permeate the air in a complex ménage. Goodness me, Artisanale Fantôme meets Starbucks!

Taste: Sharp tastes, big entrance that says “you’re gonna like me”. Lots of coffee beans in the beginning, bitter cherry syrupy liquor dark chocolates in the middle that rise to a very dry bitter latter third, ending with lots of farmyard flavors whilst a strong liquorice dominates the finish – intense amounts of liquorice coat the tongue, but mix well with the smooth creamy mouthfeel.

Mouthfeel: A Nip & Tuck 36DD, this is one full-bodied brew! Strong, aggressive, yet very smooth, creamy even thanks to the immense finely tuned small bubbled conditioning. Intense at times yet restrained in a strange way. The mouthfeel is big but never overwhelming. Creamy, yet sharp. Acidic, yet manageable. The alcohol and liquorice ultimately dominate the taste and mouthfeel, both coat the mouth with one serious Fantôme kick, you’re only as good as your last sensation, and what a sensation!! This is a very bold beer for sure.

Drinkability: It’s 8%, very rare, and I only had one 25cl glass of it, I wanted soooo much more of it. I would give serious thought to paying over the odds for this one again for sure. Incredibly drinkable and very Moorish.

Overall: AWESOME. Without doubt the very best Fantôme creation that I have had to date and I’ve had a few. I can safely report that the “rumors” about the Black Ghost being Dany Prignon’s best creation, are indeed fact!! What a creation – just when I thought Fantôme had let me down with the newest creation “Flop”, they go and astound me again with this offering. But that really is the very essence of Fantôme, they somehow make eclectic seem conservative.

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

It pours a light brown with a hazy quality as the yeast was pretty disturbed with a rather large head that died back and ringed the chalice. Smells of cocoa, malty fruit and yeast. Quite possible the most unquie blends of taste, chocolate, cheery, cinnamon like from Apple Jacks cerral, with a malt base and wrapped in a yeast buzz that makes the whole thing vibrate and slowly melt into the tongue. Way too drinkable something I would gladly drink all day.

4.85/5  rDev +26%

Muddied magenta stacked tall with ashy tan suds.
Fragrant of cocoa powder, black cherries, molasses, vanilla, prairie grass, and basements.
Begins with a stonewalling fudge notion, unbreachable to begin with, though in time it dissolves into more fluid shapes of carob and caramel. Plunges into the cauldron of a dark fruit stew, full of boiling cherry, plums, and dates, thickening a molasses broth. Then it pauses a moment, at the apex of its glory, then goes utterly beyond itself, and breathes out vanilla vapors, oak, hazelnuts, and toasted coconut. The fruit brightens as it draws back in. Pears, apples, and peaches, all overripe and beginning to decay. Dripping red grape vinousness and plump with Fantome's signature mildewed lime rind yeastiness, full of things left undisturbed in dark corners. The cocoa powder suggestion offsets some of the typical Ghostly sharpened tartness. And it concludes full of pepper, tarragon, cedar, and early summer fields in full, obscene blossom.
The yeast pour adds further dank farminess and a blanketing caramel-nut breadiness. Alcohol is not mentioned because it is not noticed.
Moderate in texture, heft, and carbonation, especially after it sits a few moments.
In some ways, this is a most approachable Fantome creation, while being absolutely one of his most arcane.
Superb. Or should I say, fucking unreal.

My utmost thanks to Bighuge, once again.

4.85/5  rDev +26%

It pours a muddy dark brown color with a perfectly smooth cream colored head that will not go away. Smell really hits you hard with dark fruits and mustiness all over the place. The taste is extremely complex as the sweet fruits assault the tip of the tongue first, then morph into some peppery spiciness which lingers. The funk is always there behind everything. There is a nice tart flavor hiding under everything as well. Almost too much to handle!

4.85/5  rDev +26%

750 ml bottle provided by the very generous skyhand. Been sitting on this one for quite a while, waiting for a worthy occasion. Lively pour and it is dark, muddy approaching black. Gorgeous, big bubbled head. Nose of sweet cherries, vanilla, sour, & farmyard dusted with cocoa & espresso. Multi-layered & complex in the mouth with a delectable sour kicking finish. Some moderate bitterness accompanies rum soaked raisins, molasses, & a mysterious funk. Never have I tasted anything that approaches this flavor profile. Full bodied & active in the mouth with the unmistakeable sour funk finishing the brew beautifully along with a kiss of vanilla, blackberry, & cherry concentrate. Drinking this was truly a wild ride. Mysterious, inimitable invention.

4.85/5  rDev +26%

The crappy BA rating had me underestimating this one, but what a beer!

Taste is supremely complex, with cherries, cardamom, coffee, black pepper and much more. Sour, spicy, and really unique. The long, evolving finish is very interesting, and this beer has some serious character. Very funky.

My lowish appearance score comes from the poor head retention, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of this one at all.

I know I'll be buying this again, at which time I'll write a more in depth review, but for now, let me just say that this is one of the best, most distinctive, complex, and interesting Belgian darks out there. I think I can taste the action from the Fantome "microbial zoo" that I've read so much about. Awesome.

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

I'm loving this one. Most of their beers are saisons, as this is, but it closely resembles a cask-conditioned old ale. Big foamy head, which eventually fades; a lightly carbonated beer. It's as black as a porter. It's got a fruity (plums and raisins), salty, tart, and slightly chocolately smell and flavor, with some roasted notes. It's got a tart, wine-like finish. Like most Dany's beers, the hops are very hard to find, the flavor is rich and complex yet highly palatable and quaffable, and it's highly herbal like an exotic tea. Mouthfeel is like well water, but with a much lower pH. One of my favorite Fantome beers so far, next to Primtemps. If you've never beer lucky enough to try Courage Russian Imperial Stout, this is a great 2nd choice. Highly recommended. Cheers!

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours a deep caramel brown with a light brown, rocky, head. Retention is low, but provides a fine creamy layer and a sticky lace. Aroma is of malt, caramel, spices, and is lightly tart. Flavor has a caramel sweetness with dark fruits chocolate, pepper and an unexpected tartness. The finish sneaks up and has a nice surprising dryness. Palate is medium bodied, peppery, light effervescence and creaminess and a lingering hop bite. Black Ghost evolves and changes character, aroma and flavors throughout. A well-balanced yet complex beer without heavy, intense flavors and palate.

4.78/5  rDev +24.2%

Purple label bottling. Opaque brownish-black with an extremely fine mocha head that stays at a persistent cap leaving good lacing.

Nose is European bready black licorice over slightly sweet yeasty brown bread. Nice green leafy note, that eventually melds into something like wintergreen. Tons going on, but the overall effect is a bit muddled.

Medium in the mouth with wave upon wave of brown malt, licorice and a bit of tart raspberry fruitiness. There is great acid structure which keeps the beer lively, when it easily could have tumbled over into a formless maltfest. Extremely long with intense chocolate notes echoing seemingly forever.

Caressing, wonderful mouthfeel. Very drinkable for what it is, and an excellent companion at the table. Fascinating stuff.

As an aside, I had to put the partially full (note the optimism) bottle in the fridge whilst I put my kiddos to bed. When I returned to it about an hour later, the contents of the bottle still held a 1/2" head from the last pour I made. Now THAT is head retention.

Wow.

Poured out a dark dirty ruby/brown color with a huge head that had to settle down, no matter how slow I poured it.

Smell was good, but I thought it was a little light. Some good fruit notes came through. Grapes, cherries, prunes, dates, various spices. Some yeast aromas also hide in the background.

Taste. Damn was this good. Fruit, wood, spices, hops, yeast, it's all in here. Every sip you take, it seems you find something completely different. As it warms up, you can really taste the spices in this brew. But for all I know, it seems like every fruit and spice known to man kind is here in. So complex, so tasty, so good.

Mouthfeel was medium to full bodied. Carbonation was perfect I thought. The flavors last quite a while after you finish it, which is bittersweet in a way, once you've run out, it seems like it's mocking you to get more, but on the other hand you can really enjoy the flavors after it's all gone.

Downright excellent. And to think how much I paid for this, it seemed like a steal. Just an amazing beer.

Special thanks to Venom for pointing out where it is.

4.78/5  rDev +24.2%

This very rare (?) brew poured out a dark burnt red colour, the colour of deer blood. The head was very large and off-white in colour. The aromas were out of this world and consisted of musty basements, alcohol soaked cherries and other dark fruits, lovely belgian floral hops and malts, yeast, candy sugar, and oak. The taste is wonderfully oak-y, cherry-like, and sour on the finish. I suspect Danny aged this brew in oak barrels for quite a bit of time. The mouthfeel was creamy and astringent at the same time, giving this beer an excellent drinkability. One of the best brews that I have had from Fantome, and that is saying soooo much. How the hell has this one not been reviewed before? If you love Fantome or if you just love the saision and flanders red styles, find this and buy it, no matter the cost...it's just THAT good!

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

Green bottle with a pink "Black Ghost" label. After struggle with my corkscrew I finally got the cork out of the cork and crown bottle. Upon pulling the cork I could immediately pick up aromas of this remarkable brew. Decanting it into my tulip glass wafts even more aroma my way. The beer is a deep brown with a fairly large head. Smell is very interesting if not amazing. It has a strong musty smell that is balanced with hints of patchouli (sp?). Very interesting indeed. Initial taste i find a nice smokey flavor which seems to fade into dark fruity flavors over time. Some strong notes of plums and spice are now easily detected. Very fun to try to pick out all of the flavor profiles. Some black licorice comes through in the end. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. Drinkability, I'll rate high as I will definately be coming back to the ghost provided that I can find it. I definately have a new beer in my top 10 list!

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%

Pink and black label, limited edition 750ml bottle corked and capped, 8% ABV.

Pours out to a slightly hazy very deep brown with scant sediment, forming a large light-tan head with very good retention and nice lacing. The aroma is very enticing..lots of musty basement, mold, Belgian sour funk, farmhouse, stinky leather shoes and dirty socks...I love it. The mouthfeel is smooth with a medium-dense, at times oily, body. The carbonation is just right...not overly zippy as many Belgians can be. The taste is wonderful...begins with tons of rotting fruit, black cherry, and a touch of sour funkiness, although it's not very tart...the middle is rich with tobacco, subtle cocoa powder, and leather. The "spices" this is evidently brewed with is not noticeable, although some warming alcohol gives me a pleasant sensation in the belly, though never hampering the palette. A touch of tartness and chalk rounds out the spry yet mellow earth finish. The aftertaste is tobacco and leather. Bitterness is mild and earthy.

This is just a wonderful brew. Smooth and easy drinking yet so rich and full of nuance. I love all the funky flavors and aromas going on here. Now I want to try the whole Fantome line-up. This was just absolutely stellar!

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

I still can't believe CaptainCougar could get his hands on this for me. Very appreciated Tom. Appearance is another winner. It's a dirty brown, full of yeast creating microcosms of clouds in the glass. Watch my stance: Imperial bottle-conditioned ale. Superb big foamy beige head, fully laced as the Fantôme tradition wants it. It looks marvellous. Infinitely complex aroma: earthy, chocolatey, intensely yeasty, lots of fantôme goodness at work in there. Acid peaks here and there, cherries, cinnammon, rhubarb, grapes melted in a little vinous profile. Delightful fantôme yeast taste, how do you do it Sir Prignon? Cobwebs (is it normal to enjoy this flavor?), moderately acidic, earthy, plain green leaves, sage, nutty, cranberries, juniper, oregano, nutmeg and other spices, english tea, wow! Add to this a long finish, eternal finish and a rather full, highly carbonated fitting body. What else do you want? It looks murky, it tastes murky. This is just as good as the great Hiver. Simply magic.

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

Another truly unique artisan ale from Fantome. Pours a Glowing orangish brown with a thin tan head. The nose has fresh fruits, peppery yeast, damp manure ridden soils, and a bouquete of herbs and spices. I would call this a blend between a Flanders Red and a Saison. Fresh fruits, subtle musty funk, flowery hops, and earthy Belgian yeast. A clean, crisp body with delicate carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Superbly balanced ale that pairs well with fine meats and cheese.

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

Froathy, active light brown head fades quickly to a film leaving some strings of lace. Earth aroma with a bit of tangy dark fruit. Dark brown, almost black colored beer with a ruby hue. Creamy chocolate with some roasted malt and a bit of raisin. Barely bitter cocoa/coffee flavor towards the end with a pinch of alcohol. My stomach is warming up slowly but surely. Soft, creamy mouthfeel and a body just thick enough to hold all that flavor. Strange, but interesting aromas that give only a subtle hint of flavors to come. There's all kinds of stuff going on in there, half of which I can't quite describe, but all of it I like. Unique, almost strange, but definitely good.

4.58/5  rDev +19%

An exceptional beverage, bringing the best of a healthy herbal drink and a beer together. Sarsapillira (root beer), cinammon, blackstrap molasses, smooth. honey and kitchen spice aroma. Thanks Clarkvv. Wonderful with a long meal of every dishes, as every sip then sends a different taste signal to the brain. One of few beers that is delightful palate cleaner after fish.

4.58/5  rDev +19%

Poured out from a corked green 750 bottle as a caramel brown, heady from the get go, settles one thickly murked glass of eerie fogged dark opaque brown; what the hell is this stuff? Wow! Taller then an inch or so of smooth creamy and dense wet sandy brown colored crown. Settles down whimsically to a thin collar and fine skim; lacing in big spots mostly dripping back in slowly.

Aroma has a nice dark toffee/candied sense to it, earthy, lovely dusting of fresh and flakey/dusty bakers chocolate. There's a candy I can't quite place in there; black licorice maybe, or perhaps even those root beer barrels; what ever it is, it adds a funny but pleasing little candied spice. An interestingly complex and subtle nose that's really fun to take in.

Flavors are wonderful here, graceful, delicate, smooth, full , round, tangy, dark but not eagerly so, candyish but not sweetly so. A perfect melange of dark tanged roast and candy sweet malts. The chocolate dusting in the finish is absolutely outstanding. This is perfect in every regards of complex subtle layers in my mind. It's mind boggling; its seemingly simple, but as you dig in and start to enjoy; more and more things begin to wrok their way through and making the wonderment of complexities grow. Licorice notes make their way around the tangy darkish malts, bits of phenols float into the nose late which mix with a deep but lightly peppered cherry cough drop-like alcohol. Real late upon the mix makes some darker fruits of chewy fig and raisin. Drys out some in the finish with a semi-coffee roast, chocolatey dusted, phenolic whispers and more candyish things kinda tingling/singeing/burning. Again, that chocolatey dusting is fabulous!

Feel is undescribable, it has it all, and never less or never more then one thing or another. It's perfect! Full, tangy, sweet, spicy, alcoholic, creamy, smooth, round, dry, earthy, roasty, bold, sharp, and brash. Drinkable? You bet your ass it is! This is my first Fantome brew, so where does it go from here? Yikes. Great stuff!
A mega cool super thanks goes to truthbrew for the bottle!

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up before i read any reviews or had any, and didn't expect something so dark and mysterious from fantome. My 750ml had a pinkish background rather than the blue pictured.

The color is somewhere between a very dark brown and a glowing red, very wood-like, with a khaki head that poured a good two fingers and then fell to a very slight coating over the top of the brew. Definitely pretty.

Smell is dark and fruity-- multitudes of dark fruit, with cinammon, milk chocolate, black licorice and yeasty herbalness like grass.

The flavor pulls out the fruit flavor with plum, fig, a bit winey. Very restrained and complex, it's a little sweet from fruit and milk chocolate flavor but there's a definite sourness or astringency that comes from the licorice and herbs that balances this beer. Also some nutty flavors present. The final impression is dark and fulfilling, with flavor to adapt to a variety of foods.

Mouthfeel is fantastic--I love beers like this that have a hint of carbonation but are so creamy and frothy. It's medium bodied but goes down very smooth with just a prickle of carbonation. Perfectly balanced with the rest of the beer. Drinkability is excellent--the taste and mouthfeel make this one and easy sipper, and the 8% abv disappears in the decadent flavor.

I almost feel like this is what New Belgium's 1554 may be trying to obtain. While that's a nice beer, this offering from fantome hits on all cylinders.

Fantôme Black Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme