Fantôme Black Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

poor

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: francisweizen on 01-06-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Black Ghost Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Very dark brown in color, with a thin, light tan head. Only moderate funkatude in the aroma, compared to other Fantomes. More malty than most, with some dark fruitiness and a slight spicy character.

The flavor is quite spicy -- hints of nutmeg, perhaps some cinnamon -- something of a burnt character. Plum like fruits lurk in the background, and a somewhat musky/earthy character is present throughout.

Medium bodied, with a dry finish. This is quite, quite nice. A nice winter warmer if you ask me!

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

750ml bottle served in a Tank 7 tulip. Bottle conditioned. Poured a reddish brown with a finger of off white head. Fruity aroma, Belgian yeast spice, and a touch of sourness. As it warmed pepper came out in the aroma. Sweetness up front. A bit of tartness. Pepper lingers in the finish, but is not overwhelming. Light to medium bodied. Very easy drinking. Another interesting beer from Fantome.

4.93/5  rDev +28.1%

I got a bottle of this last night and was blown away. I actually was so riled up about the beer (and a little tipsy, admittedly) that I deleted my whole review cause I wasn't paying attention. Oh well, gave me an excuse to go get it again tonight! Let me just start off with this... HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS. This beer is nothing like I could've ever imagined. So complex. Pours a dark dark almost black brown color with a good amount of head that sticks around long enough to tell some ghost stories. When I poured this I thought my socks smelled real bad but it turned out to be the beer. I don't know why that dirty, stinky, rotten, cellar puddle smell is so wonderful, but somehow it is. That funk-nastyness comes out in the taste as well, so odd and moldy tasting. Once again, I don't know what it is that makes this grossness taste good, but it's doing it's job. Maybe it's the ghost... BOO! In addition to the garbage taste there's a nice, flavorful Belgian dark ale in there. Ripe dark fruits galore, chocolaty, some figs and prunes or something. Also a nice alcohol taste to it, like aged bourbon or whiskey barrel flavor. Nice woody character. A bit wine like. I could stay here and drink a few of these and create a super long list of all the odd tastes I'm getting here but I'll let you experience it for yourself as you should. I sometimes sit around and try to think of a "new" color. It never works. I always think I get there and then really it's just a combination of two other colors. Well this to me is a totally new taste. Really amazing. If I could rate it higher than 5 I would. Nice medium smooth mouthfeel here. A real pleasure, challenge, and overall experience to drink. Every sip is a new little adventure. I know I'm getting a little carried away here but this beer is so insane. Go scare yourself.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearence: Pours a very dark reddish brown with a little bit of a purple tinge. The head is bubbly and ferocious, but dies down quickly to a thin collar.

Smell: The smell is a wonderfully sweet mix of grapes and fruits, as well as candi sugar, but it still manages to maintain that signature Fantome "farmhouse" smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is a super sweet malt focused mix of plums, grapes, and a nice hay taste. The flavors are complex, interesting, and well rounded, but just don't quite taste as good as I think they could. There is room for imporvement. The yeast flavor is also quite detectable as the glass warms up. The mouthfeel is rich and full.

Drinkability and Overall: Not a bad beer, but far from Fantome's best. The flavors aren't cutting it for me. I think either this could be better tasting, or this beer just isn't for me. Anyways, Fantome should stick with the Saisons, it's what they do best.

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

It pours a light brown with a hazy quality as the yeast was pretty disturbed with a rather large head that died back and ringed the chalice. Smells of cocoa, malty fruit and yeast. Quite possible the most unquie blends of taste, chocolate, cheery, cinnamon like from Apple Jacks cerral, with a malt base and wrapped in a yeast buzz that makes the whole thing vibrate and slowly melt into the tongue. Way too drinkable something I would gladly drink all day.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance: Ugly as hell. Muddy, sceptic tank brown, with zero head, and plenty of weird sediment. Reminded me of the mixtures I used to make with apple juice, 5 different food colourings and half of my mother's spice rack back when I was a kid.

Smell: Horseblanket, frankincense, plums and/or mincemeat fruit, minty freshness. Ho yeah!

Taste: Very acidic, tart with raspberry and blackberry tang, milk chocolate, oak and an all around aura of funkalishiousness, if you don't mind the expression.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

served from a 750 ml corked bottle. poured with a nice stiff head. dark brown color with a slight reddish hue.

aroma was verey strong with burned caramel and a slight sour cherry scent.

flavor had strong and sweet taste. definately a hint of cherry but also a grainy vegetable taste. light to medium boday that sits well on the tongue. it has a lot of flavors that I just can't identify. it excites all parts of the tongue with different flavors. very complex and very drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Actually not all that dark with a hazy, deep garnet appearance. Head starts strong and then recedes to a thin layer across the top. No real lacing to speak of.

Mildly fruity esters, soft vinegar and a terrifying undercurrent of patchouli.

Oh, this isn't at all what I expected. Sour (cherry) right off the bat followed by a subtle herbal quality and a finish that is rather woody.

Thin mouthfeel isn't at all what I'd expect from a Belgian, let alone one brewed by Fantome. I do in fact like this beer quite a bit, it just doesn't strike me as particularly well-made. However, I shouldn't have any problem finishing the bomber...

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Its an insane amalgamation of a Belgian strong dark ale paired with a dry funky Saison type ale. Dry, deep malty, Very dry, lots of malt, but very dry, interesting, but hmm. Some chocolate in the back, what can I say , unusual, what else would you expect from this brewer.

Famtome has a deferential style from usual folks. Dry, dry, what else to say, it's unusual, can't really get another, too unusual. Will continue to try their other brews, though, on to that Xmas one...

4.78/5  rDev +24.2%

Wow.

Poured out a dark dirty ruby/brown color with a huge head that had to settle down, no matter how slow I poured it.

Smell was good, but I thought it was a little light. Some good fruit notes came through. Grapes, cherries, prunes, dates, various spices. Some yeast aromas also hide in the background.

Taste. Damn was this good. Fruit, wood, spices, hops, yeast, it's all in here. Every sip you take, it seems you find something completely different. As it warms up, you can really taste the spices in this brew. But for all I know, it seems like every fruit and spice known to man kind is here in. So complex, so tasty, so good.

Mouthfeel was medium to full bodied. Carbonation was perfect I thought. The flavors last quite a while after you finish it, which is bittersweet in a way, once you've run out, it seems like it's mocking you to get more, but on the other hand you can really enjoy the flavors after it's all gone.

Downright excellent. And to think how much I paid for this, it seemed like a steal. Just an amazing beer.

Special thanks to Venom for pointing out where it is.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from the 750ml capped and corked bottle into my favourite Belgian style glass.

This bottle doesn't look quite like the one pictured here, I would guess that I have the more recent vintage, the label is pink instead of dark blue.

Appearance- Cork comes off with a nice pop, but not a lot of carbonation rising in the bottle. Beer pours a hazy brown red hue, nearly purple with gigantic chunks of yeast floating around in the glass. There is a finger and a half of foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly for a Belgian, and lacing clings to the sides lightly.

Smell- This beer smells funny, ha ha funny, cracked black pepper and spices upfront, there is a malty yeasty sweetness, and a strong sour backbone as Fantome is prone to giving off. Brettanamyces, and a little Lacto Bacillus giving a slight wild scent, a chocolate covered raspberry in there as well, a lot of smells in this beer. A little oak, a lot of red winy notes, no hints of alcohol or hops.

Taste- Creamy, more of the acidic dryness that was in the smell, very yeasty profile giving some nice estery flavors on the tongue. More red wine notes again, very similar to a good Cabernet, this could go well with a juicy steak, or some stinky cheese which I plan to pair with it after this review. That sour funk is not overpowering and invites me to sip further. Tangy fruits are pretty thick in the taste as well, and the peppery spices, almost a sour cherry fruit flavour.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, not warming, highly carbonated, medium full bodied, refreshingly puckering.

Drinkability- Pretty high on the drinkability scale. I'm glad I have another set back for cellaring, and if I find more, I'll cellar them too. Dany from Fantome really knows his stuff.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Black Ghost is a tough beer to classify, with wholly unique tendencies toward brown ale, Flemish sour brown, and other styles, perhaps best described generically as a "spiced beer."

Earthy hazelnuts and deep cocoa-infused cinammon. Mexican hot chocolate. Fascinating profile with a surprisingly liquid mouthfeel. Licorice. Complex malt. Somewhat wild, almost pungent, acid on the nose that, though calm, adds a component that makes this beer virtually limitless and certainly out of the confines of any one style.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

bottle poured into tulip glass. La Cave du Vin in Cleveland had this classifyed as a saison. Don't know if they or BA is right... It doesn't matter really.

a: deep amber/blackish color, slight head that reduces to light lacing. Minimal carbonation.

s: very spicy aroma, a hint of roasted malt

t: i have never had a beer like this. Very interesting taste. Black Licorice flavor dominated the mouth with spicyness adding complexity. Very nice. Alchohol is slightly noticable, but provides a nice warming sensation

m&d: for an 8% ABV brew, it is very drinkable. Medium to light bodied, I am impressed with this beer despite its low BA rating.

Worth a Try.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours dark brown with a ruby hue.. Big spicy nose - coriander, hops, and an earthiness. A yeasty flavor attacks upfront, followed by a strong perfume spice. A roast malt flavor builds and mixes well with the spices. Corriander is present throughout, anice flavor blend well with the roast. A fine beer with a unique combination of flavors that really works.

The complexity of flavors from this brewer always seem to satisfy.

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

I'm loving this one. Most of their beers are saisons, as this is, but it closely resembles a cask-conditioned old ale. Big foamy head, which eventually fades; a lightly carbonated beer. It's as black as a porter. It's got a fruity (plums and raisins), salty, tart, and slightly chocolately smell and flavor, with some roasted notes. It's got a tart, wine-like finish. Like most Dany's beers, the hops are very hard to find, the flavor is rich and complex yet highly palatable and quaffable, and it's highly herbal like an exotic tea. Mouthfeel is like well water, but with a much lower pH. One of my favorite Fantome beers so far, next to Primtemps. If you've never beer lucky enough to try Courage Russian Imperial Stout, this is a great 2nd choice. Highly recommended. Cheers!

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I must say that I did not think that this was much of a Flemish Ale. It more of reminded me of a stout with belgian flare. With that said this beer is fantastic and should be sought out by all who like the unusual or enjoy the beers from this brewer.

It pours a dark brown (almost black) with a ruby tint and a big light brown head. I took one sniff and knew this was going to be great. It smells of roasted coffee, but there is also a farmhouse funk (musty, yeasty, some spiciness). The roasted barley jumps out in the extra creamy, smooth body and there is a thin tartness. There is some funk and licorice in before the lingering roasted dryness. Simply amazing.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark cloudy brown. Small head , no lacing.

Getting a slight caramel sweetness on the nose. Slight funkiness is also present.

Initially tart followed by a grape/cider sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium , carbonation is low.

Overall a decent beer that probably find it's way into my cellar.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle brought over by a friend for a tasting. Poured a light brown color, lots of bubbles and okay lacing. Interesting that it's supposed to be the darkest of the Fantome line, considering how light the body looks. Aroma is slightly funky, slightly roasty, and slightly chocolaty. The flavor is more roasty than almost any Belgian beer I've had. It's enjoyably light and slightly burnt, but the flavor profile pretty much ends there. None of the complexity or wild yeast flavors we've come to know and love from Fantome. The 8% is well masked, the mouth feel is light and active, and drinking is easy. Flavors, however, fall disappointingly short.

4.78/5  rDev +24.2%

Purple label bottling. Opaque brownish-black with an extremely fine mocha head that stays at a persistent cap leaving good lacing.

Nose is European bready black licorice over slightly sweet yeasty brown bread. Nice green leafy note, that eventually melds into something like wintergreen. Tons going on, but the overall effect is a bit muddled.

Medium in the mouth with wave upon wave of brown malt, licorice and a bit of tart raspberry fruitiness. There is great acid structure which keeps the beer lively, when it easily could have tumbled over into a formless maltfest. Extremely long with intense chocolate notes echoing seemingly forever.

Caressing, wonderful mouthfeel. Very drinkable for what it is, and an excellent companion at the table. Fascinating stuff.

As an aside, I had to put the partially full (note the optimism) bottle in the fridge whilst I put my kiddos to bed. When I returned to it about an hour later, the contents of the bottle still held a 1/2" head from the last pour I made. Now THAT is head retention.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a faux brown which reveals itself as a candy apple red when held to light. Minimalist head and scant lace. The head is one of those that bubbles real fast and fades, like soda. Smells slightly oaky and sugary with a little bit of leather and fruit. Interesting but not great. The first sip is a little harsh and undesireable, but a after some warming this brew opens up and reveals itself. Lots of cherry and grape here. Moderately sweet with a almost suede like body. Finishes slightly dry with a little bitter chocolate essence to it. I really think this a beer best left in the dark for a while. I think that with time the flavors may meld a little better than they do as a "green" beer. Though not bad I really wasn't so impresed that I'd seek this out again.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

I spontaneously decided to crack open the last of my Fantôme beers after almost a year in storage.

The pour into my La Moneuse glass (like the bottle, from NJ) raises a hefty one fingered tan head over a truly opaque black body. The lacing sticks together, and falls slowly in sheets.

The nose, true to Fantôme form, is quite pungent. It smells of alcohol, raisins, a bit of maple, pepper, and some dark fruit. As always, I feel at a loss to describe smell to its full extent, but this is nice.

The taste is right definitely too acidic, but tastes spicy, with some mint, dark sugars and fruit. That's all I can say, really.

The mouth is medium, with also medium carbonation.

Overall, this is disappointing. It may be old, though; but I'm unlikely to even see this beer for a long time, let alone drink it.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Big frothy seashell colored head that is so active there is head in the bottle well after I pour it! The head in the glass settles to a nice active capping. The beer itself is a chestnut brown with some light sneaking through. Orange highlights twinkle in the glass.

Where to begin with the smells?? The smells are an intense mixture of leather, dark spices, molasses, coffee, chocolate, rum balls and a bit of coca-cola syrup. Very enticing.

Mouthfeel is more of the same with the spiced rum balls, dark spices, and cocoa and coffee showing through. This is one hell of a complex beer. The alcohol warms a bit as well and the taste lingers and lingers. Amazing stuff.

Mouthfeel is creamy and lively without a bit of prickle. It goes down smooth and lingers for awhile.

I will buy this again, but I think that more than one glass at a time would be overkill.

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

Green bottle with a pink "Black Ghost" label. After struggle with my corkscrew I finally got the cork out of the cork and crown bottle. Upon pulling the cork I could immediately pick up aromas of this remarkable brew. Decanting it into my tulip glass wafts even more aroma my way. The beer is a deep brown with a fairly large head. Smell is very interesting if not amazing. It has a strong musty smell that is balanced with hints of patchouli (sp?). Very interesting indeed. Initial taste i find a nice smokey flavor which seems to fade into dark fruity flavors over time. Some strong notes of plums and spice are now easily detected. Very fun to try to pick out all of the flavor profiles. Some black licorice comes through in the end. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. Drinkability, I'll rate high as I will definately be coming back to the ghost provided that I can find it. I definately have a new beer in my top 10 list!

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%