Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Fantôme Black Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Black GhostFantôme Black Ghost

poor

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: francisweizen on 01-06-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Black Ghost Alström Bros
2.14/5  rDev -44.8%

Live review. The third of four consecutive Fantôme beers that I purchased for $13.99 one day at the Beer Engine in Lakewood. I have been wanting to drink these since I got them a few months ago and now is the time as I approach my 800th review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 oz. green bottle which was corked and capped but removing the cap resulted in no carbonation release, it was all held in by the cork. Lot # and "best by" date not marked on the label of my bottle. The little chart is there but nothing is marked. The cork has the exact same mark as the regular Fantôme Saison, 086/477044. Poured into my gold rimmed Ommegang "Westvleteren" style goblet.

A Light brown, creamy head that started out as about 2 inches but dissipated down to a thin layer on top of the brown/orange translucent body. Good look that is reminiscent of more classic Belgian Strong Dark Ales. 4.0

S Strong Belgian yeast, malt smells. Sniffs taken later in the bottle pour revealed more of the rotten, putrid tastes that I describe below and so I am going to lower my smell rating from 3.5 to 2.5

T Not good. I am a fan of Belgian beers and Fantôme beers in particular but this one has a rotten kind of taste that is not welcome. I don't know if that is the "Noire de Noire" aspect or what but it makes it difficult to drink. Behind the rotten grains taste is the malt and probably the yeast but it is difficult for me to get past that rotten wood taste. I have reason to believe that the beer was fresh and not skunked since removing the cork released a fair amount of "mist." 2.0

M Sharp with the rotten tastes, strong, not well hidden ABV and malt. Not a good feel which is heavily influenced by the taste. 2.0

D Not good at all. I drank about 14 ounces of it and simply could not keep drinking this beer. I could not believe it but it became a drain pour after a few minutes of consideration. 1.5

Notes: A big dissapointment due to the rotten grains taste that I got. I would not recommend this beer unless someone can advise me that this bottle was not typical. (2,057 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a clear brown with an off white head.

Light citric fruit nose; light "green fruit" nose. Hints of sweet lime in the nose;

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with almost a "sour malt" character.

Flavors are big citric lime layered with nice fruity flavors and a hint of funk and light/sweet sour. Wonderfully balanced with all that is going on in this one and very drinkable, especially for Fantome.

Nice citric/lime/fruit/lightly sour finish. (448 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

A= pours a hazy light brown color almost a deep amber color with a huge tan head coming out of it that barely let's me fill half beer half foam in my glass. The head is a little thick with tiny bubbles and falls at an average pace to a rocky meranguie finish. Pretty decent lacing is left on my glass.
S= belgian spicyness is in th beer. Notes of clove and darker fruits comes through... lots of grapes in it with prunes and dates. Some apples in it as well as a little funk I guess.
T= pretty darn good. It has some of the phantome sourness in it with the darker notes coming only from the nose after I breathe out. The sour green grapes dominate the flavor and it reminds me of the saison only not as good. A little less refined and more acidic. Pretty decent. After reading some past reviews noone mentioned the fact that it has a nice green grape sour bite. Sort of raw lemon as well. The dark dates and prunes I smelled are almost nonexistant just because the sourness washed them away. Delicious.
M= dry as hell and super crisp. Reminds me of eating a lemon.
D= great another solid beer from them that I have tried. Really makes me wonder how they put this unique sourness in these styles. Super dry smooth and refreshing. Impressed and ill be going back for it. (1,268 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%

750mL green glass bottle with wine cork and cap. No date marked on label.

Appearance: Had to rough it up a bit to get 1/2 inch of tan head on top of clear tawny body.

Nose: Fairly simple with soapy notes and some clove and hazelnut notes.

Palate: Medium to light bodied and a little too clean. Some moderate biscuit-like malt notes, more clove and a little tanned leather. Finish is odd, and there's something almost medicinal about it.

Notes: Disappointed for sure. I've liked other Fantome beers, and heard this was killer. Will pass on it next time. (556 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearance: Black opaque, decent head, no lacing, off-white foam

Smell: Best part of it, roast malts and a bit of funk

Taste: Charred, burnt malt, musty leather, sour fruit, burt coffee, burt toffee, espresso, blackstrap molasses. Very bitter and acidic.

Mouthfeel: More porter than BSDA

Drinkability: Didn't finish it, I know this varies a lot from year to year and batch to back, I think this one must represent the low point of the cycle. (445 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Another Fantome I've not had.

Great looking pour from the 750ml bottle into my designated farmhouse/wild ale goblet. Not as dark as I would have expected from a beer named Black Ghost. Instead, it's more of a red ale. Excellent retention.

Has a pungent aroma typical of a Fantome. It smells sour, with some cinnamon overtone. I also smell vine-ripened tomato, believe it or not. Yes, like some fresh homemade tomato sauce.

Somewhat puckery, with some leathery sourness. Dry, and some definite herbal spiciness going on. Sour/bitter finish. 8% alcohol really nowhere, this drinks more like 6%. Tasty, for those of us who like this kind of thing, but somehow doesn't seem as interesting as some other Fantomes....which is not terrible criticism, it's still a 4.0 beer in my book. It might be a little over-spiced - there is so much of that going on that it actually blurs and diminishes the complexity.

Feel is very spritzy and light for a beer of this strength, but not that gassy.

Pretty drinkable. Though it's not the greatest Fantome, it's still very good. Spicy, but drinkability isn't diminished as a result. I wish it wasn't 8% ABV, I'm feeling it. (1,161 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle into red wine glass.

Pours deep red brown, extraordinarily clear despite the darkness of the color - almost jewel-like in the way light breaks through every once in awhile. Fluffy two-finger light khaki head settles down to a thin sudsy cap with decent stickage.

Nose is beautiful - sour cherries break through right off the bat, wafts of green apples, anise seed, underlying soft cocoa, dark fruits - so much going on in this one. Incredibly subtle in terms of variety of aromas.

Taste is incredibly unique. Up front, is dry and intensely earthy. Musty tobacco, turnips (yeah), dark fruits, old leather, (light) green apples, cocoa and licorice as temps increase - this is one dank, savory beer. Lightly sour towards the finish. Loads of spices swirling around in there that I can't even begin to identify lend a dry bitterness on the long finish. I get very little sweetness from this, at any temp - it's dominated by musty earth tones, dirty, nutty, with other notes swirling in and out of the profile - umami. Interesting; I'm not finding instantly appealing, but I keep coming back to it. Totally sits outside the box of what you normally associate as the flavor profile for any beer - this one is dry and dusty, earthy, a must try, but this will not be everyone's thing - probably not mine, but glad I got a chance to try it.

Mouthfeel is light, medium-thin body, very light carbonation.

Drinkability is hard to decide upon. This isn't a flavor combo that I think I've ever really craved before. I don't really crave it now that I've tasted it either. This one seems more intellectual exercise than rewarding sensory experience to me - YMMV. (1,662 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

bottle poured into tulip glass. La Cave du Vin in Cleveland had this classifyed as a saison. Don't know if they or BA is right... It doesn't matter really.

a: deep amber/blackish color, slight head that reduces to light lacing. Minimal carbonation.

s: very spicy aroma, a hint of roasted malt

t: i have never had a beer like this. Very interesting taste. Black Licorice flavor dominated the mouth with spicyness adding complexity. Very nice. Alchohol is slightly noticable, but provides a nice warming sensation

m&d: for an 8% ABV brew, it is very drinkable. Medium to light bodied, I am impressed with this beer despite its low BA rating.

Worth a Try. (658 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%

The crappy BA rating had me underestimating this one, but what a beer!

Taste is supremely complex, with cherries, cardamom, coffee, black pepper and much more. Sour, spicy, and really unique. The long, evolving finish is very interesting, and this beer has some serious character. Very funky.

My lowish appearance score comes from the poor head retention, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of this one at all.

I know I'll be buying this again, at which time I'll write a more in depth review, but for now, let me just say that this is one of the best, most distinctive, complex, and interesting Belgian darks out there. I think I can taste the action from the Fantome "microbial zoo" that I've read so much about. Awesome. (725 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%

My first ever Fantôme offering. Based on their reputation, I shouldn't be suprised to find a beer that doesn't seem to want to play nice with the other (sometimes legendary) members of it's style. This is the BSDA that sits in the back of the class, sporting a green goatee and making sarcastic comments everytime that holier than thou St. Bernardus raises his hand to answer yet another of the teacher's questions correctly. He may not be your favorite kid in the class, probably got put in there because he school didn't know where else to put him, but damn he keeps the class interesting.

Poured from a green bomber that was both capped and corked. Deep dark brown but far from black. Little to no head.

Probably served it a few degrees too cold but the smell definitely becomes more pronounced as it warms. Yeasty, musty but hinting at dark fruity sweetness that will suprisingly never show up in the taste. Sour twang in the nose proves a much more reliable agent of foreshadowing.

Taste has many of the components I expected and many I didn't. Each sip seems to emphasize one over the others giving you the impression that a vicious battle for supremacy between the flavors may be going on in the glass unbeknownst to you. Yeast, pepper, sour lemon, dried cherries, leather, earthy grass, my grandpa's bare dirt cellar.

Finish is very dry. Carbonation has some bite to it.

This is a sipper. One to give your palate a work out. One was enough but I enjoyed spreading the experience out for a couple of hours. (1,524 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

750ml capped and corked bottle served at 48 degrees in my DT snifter. Freshness dating not indicated on the label, but cork reads 086/47704. Poured a deep mahogany with some ruby highlights when backlight. One inch off-white head with latte-like consistency with tiny pockets embedded in the cap - eventually recedes into a thin, consistent skim. Half moon swath of lacing coats one side of the glass; decent legs on this one. Nose is a bit musty/spicy, muted dark fruit with a vinous/acidic quality. Taste is quite dry and a little woody; not getting the typical sweet and malty I've come to associate with the style. A little tart and also getting some nutmeg towards the back. Moutfeel falls between light-and medium-bodied with a nice, consistent background carbonation that keeps it lively and refreshing. Not my favorite offering from Fantôme, but alcohol is well-hidden and there's a nice complexity and refreshing quality that makes it fairly drinkable. (962 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

Out of a 750ml capped bottle. ATTENTION BRASSERIE FANTOME how about putting a cork into your bottles!!! Most of my experience with your brews have been semi-flat. Anywho, off of the soapbox and onto the review. Pours a deep mahogeny color and after a dead hard pour I got a small soapy at first but firmed up head. The aroma is of lemons and green apple skins, sour and funky. Not what I was expecting from a dark brew. The taste up front is of lemons with some raspberry sweetness, perhaps some sour cherry. Not what I really expect from a BSDA, its not sugary with deep fruit flavors, kind of light with tart and/or sour flavors. Kind of refreshing, actually. The feel, feels a bit dead. Can use a good kick of carbonation. This is as soft as soft can be without being outright flat. Finishes with a tart/sour kick to keep any sweetness in check. I got probably a bit of an old bottle, I'm just not sure as the few bottles that I have had from this brewery have been exactly like this. So not sure if this is how they intended their beers to be or they are just old. Old or not this is a pretty refreshing beer, easy to drink, light. (1,135 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

750mL cap and corked bottle courtesy of pghlee at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy reddish amber with a big thick head that recedes quickly to a collar and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma is an interesting mix of sweet saison-like smells and spices with a bit of dark roasted malts and even a bit of sugary sweetness. On top of all of this is a hint of the typical Fantome funk...lots going on.

The taste is has the Belgian yeast backbone with a quick tart hit up front. There are some definitely spices, especially in the finish, probably coriander and some others I can't identify. Again, there are some dark roasted characteristics that make things very unique.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied for a BSDA if that's what you call this.

As usual, a unique brew from Fantome that has a whole bunch of things going on that doesn't quite come together perfectly. Interesting and tasty, but not great. (908 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

750ml capped bottle from Vendome in North Hollywood $15.99.

A: Poured into a tulip glass. Dark Brown with hints of red, hardly any head. Looks inviting.

S: Smell is mild, chocolate, ripe fruit, yeast

T: Yeast, chemical, very slight sour, some ripe fruit

M: Slight carbonation, light bodied, not very well balanced

D: Alcohol is well concealed, easy to drink but it doesn't really make you want to

This is the second Fantome variety in two days that has disappointed. I think it's time for me to move on from trying them all. (530 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle from Dilly Deli.

Poured clear dark brown color with a large fizzy brown head that was mostly lasting with good lacing. Aroma was as complex modetate spicy nutty sweet and alcohol. Medium to full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Heavy dark fruit bittersweet flavor with a heavy bittersweet finish with medium alcohol bite.

Good strange brew. (365 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -20.4%

Well I keep ticking off the Fantomes... and as much as I LOVE regular ole Fantome, only the Hiver has really made my toes curl.

Pours a hazy, brown, dirty looking liquid with initially promising finger and a half or so of head... that dissipates rather quickly. Minimal lacing, although reasonable retention. It's just a bit murky looking since it's thin around the edges.

Aroma is really, really enticing on the other hand. Forward sour cherry notes with a bit of ripe fruit and supporting horse blanket funk. Mmmm!

Unfortunately, on the palate, the question is how did the aroma miss making it to the gullet? Smacks of a beer with wild yeasties that have gone on far too long. Thin, with subtle aromatic notes of flowers and herbs muddled and minute behind a sharp twang of cherry. Kind of like a flanders red minus the velvety texture and rich malty brown beer notes.

Maybe I overrate the mouthfeel, but it feels like a nice, easy, drinkable Belgian. The flavor just got stripped out, and I'm not sure beefing up the body would fix that (although perhaps by packing the flavor back in, the body would be beefed up, but that's not the same).

It's innocuous, smells great, and is refreshing. For $15 a bottle. No thank you. (1,229 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Another truly unique artisan ale from Fantome. Pours a Glowing orangish brown with a thin tan head. The nose has fresh fruits, peppery yeast, damp manure ridden soils, and a bouquete of herbs and spices. I would call this a blend between a Flanders Red and a Saison. Fresh fruits, subtle musty funk, flowery hops, and earthy Belgian yeast. A clean, crisp body with delicate carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Superbly balanced ale that pairs well with fine meats and cheese. (478 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip.

Half finger tan head that kills quick. Brown body, cloudy, ring head around, opaque. Nose is mellow but a little funky. Taste has some carbonation in it, sour, funky! Sourt notes really take away from all the other flavors. Great drinkability for a dark sour. Up to par with the saison that I love. (336 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

750ml bottle, capped and corked. Lots of carbonation on the cork pop but no surge. The beer is murky, tan orange brown, lots of floating yeast particles. The smell is not really BSDA to me, more funky and Fantome-y. Sour apple cider, barnyard, and who knows what spices. The taste is not easy to nail in words, but has elements you'd associate with Fantome, some sour bite but not too much, a little fruity, maybe almost dusty. As with all their beers, this Fantome is unique and good. (485 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7%

this one has been on my wants list for a looong time. finally found one on a recent trip to merchants in dearborn.

750ml bottle, corked and capped. sampled dec 27/08.

pours deep red-brown with a big fluffy tan head. the head drops fairly fast and leaves a few spots of lace behind.

aroma is definitely fantome - and good. their usual yeast character is there. white bread and cracker. a bit fruity. some light spice. touch of alcohol, but certainly not 8% worth. a bit toasty too, with a little nutty character coming through.

taste is good. wow, i didn't expect the sourness from the aroma, but it's surely there - not really in a vinegary way, more in a sour fruit way. sour cherry. light citrus. white and whole wheat bread. bit of cracker. just a hint of fruity sweetness appears from time to time, then disappears just as quickly. the fruity depth is great, with shades of dark fruit, citrus, and other sour fruit thrown together. balancing that all is just a hint of alcohol and a touch of yeasty spice.

mouthfeel is great. medium-high carbonation level. right around or slightly under medium body with a nice dry finish.

drinkability is great. i love the interplay of the sourness, fruitiness, and light malty background. this is pretty unmistakably fantome, and quite tasty. would i call it a BSDA? probably not, but it is interesting and it works. good stuff. (1,374 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

750 ml corked and capped bottle, big thanks to grub for sharing this. Had never seen this one in the stores until last weekend.

Pours a cloudy orange, very murky, thick light tan head forms, drops to a very thick layer, drops some nice lacing on the glass, looks pretty good. Smell is like Fantome, yeasty, some bready malty, funky, spices, sour/sweet, spruce, chocolate, quite malty, neat stuff. Taste is real sour, funky, vinegar and brett, chocolate, malty, grainy and biscuity malt, lemons, light bit of fruit near the finish, quite sour in the end, not too complex. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, pretty smooth and easy to drink, real nice sourness. Very drying in the finish, but a bit watery. Nice and very interesting but like most Fantomes just a bit watery and not as complex as they first seem. Thanks Russ! (849 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a very opaque light brown, almost orange. Medium head. Chunks of ??spices?? Sinificant amount of sediment in the bottom ot the bottle and in my slowly poured glass.

Smell is a pleasing sweetness that eludes to a smooth experience.

The taste is far from smooth. An sour tangy bite that left my tastebuds searching for redeeming qualities. The sweetness was barely enough to help me past the thought that this must have been a brewers error.

Mouthfeel too much sediment to get past and the complex flavors did not linger long enough to leave anything but a sour aftertaste on the tip of my tongue.

Low drinkability. Did not enjoy my venture into the roots of traditional style beer making. (707 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%

750 ml bottle poured into my Chimay chalice.

A- Body is a very foggy murky brown color that pours with absolutely no head...and this glass exaggerates and maintains head very nicely. A lot of white yeast sediment chunks can be seen whirling about the body of this brew. The chunks are a bit too large and abundant for my taste.

S- Yeast funk, cola, and some dark fruit. Smell is mild but good.

T- A little bit of tart dark fruit upfront with a cola flavored background. Yeast is there too. The finish is consistent with the initial flavor and not much of a hop punch is offered.

M- The chunky yeast sediment detracts a little bit form the mouthfeel which isn't as smooth and creamy as I would like but it's still there and low carbonation.

D-Decent beer but I won't pay $14 for it again. Not the best in the Fantome lineup. I did enjoy it though (850 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle that I've cellared for a little over 6 months, poured into my cherished Fantome tulip, Black ghost is a murky chestnut with a large, light tan head with big, frothy bubbles, it grows like some kind of chemical reaction, but doesn't overwhelm the glass with foam. I've never seen such a violent, turbulent settling of a beer, with tons of bubbles agitating chunks of sediment. Once it settles, the spritzers remain to support a collar, but it doesn't leave a flex of lace. Looks like apple cider, with the last full pour looking almost turkey gravy thick!

Smell is very vinous, lactic tart fruitness, grapes and lemons.

Taste is fruity, musty, and vinous, with a light sourness that makes me glad I gave this a ½ year to age. There's a hint of vinegar reminiscent of a oud bruin, but also an herbal woodiness, damp but fresh. I wouldn't be surprised if this was using some bizarre ingredients, 'shrooms, herbs and moss by the taste, but who knows? Wow, incredibly complex, I really shouldn't have tried to categorize it. I love the fruits, tart lemons and sweet grapes, it's the Purplesaurous Rex of Fantomes! I particularly love the finish, sugary sweet. I was expecting more of a Belgian Stout, but this is perfect for the late fall season and my general mood today!

Mouthfeel is very light and dry, highly digestible. The dry pucker counters the stillness, and overall it's pretty silky.

Drinkability is great, a little tart, a lot going on, but really easy going down. I have to say I didn't have the highest hopes, but this is really fantastic. So glad I have another bottle or two in the stash, this is a totally unique, yet at the same time so totally trademark Fantome. This was my choice for cracking midnight on my 30th birthday, and I couldn't have chosen better. (1,794 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +8%

How do you see a black ghost if they lights are out? Pours a lighter shade of black, if that is possible, that is similar to a schwartz if it were. Boarder line dark brown. Ok clarity, but a good soft white head. Did hide to the edge and very limited retention throughout.

The nose has more of a white wine characteristic more than anything else. Noticeable grapes with some minor lactic sourness on the backend. No real malt characteristic but there are some minor esters, plums and figs mostly. Some light funk and spices, pepper mostly. There is a noticeable oxidation that is somewhat sherry like.

The taste is more subtle than the nose. The winey flavors back off a bit but are still there. Some sweetness up front but the sourness comes out quickly. Doesn't take long to adjust, but once you do the yeast characters really come out. Some bready almost flour-like notes but light against the lactic sour notes. A bit of funk but not as much as expected. Almost smooth in the finish that I associate with diacetyl.

Overall I know this is very unique. Not a traditional Belg Strong (if that is possible). But closer to a gueze and a belg black (like 1554). (1,162 characters)

Fantôme Black Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme