Fantôme Black Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Black GhostFantôme Black Ghost

poor

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: francisweizen on 01-06-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Black Ghost Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Dark brown / burgandy in color with a nice 2" head. Lacing developed. The aroma was bizarre and like nothing else I could think of as roasted spiciness, fruits and earthy tones came together well. The flavor was more complex, and with each taste different tones came through - cherry, raisins, plums, spices, nuts, and yeast. The mouthfeel was smooth with a bit of crispness at the start. It finished smooth with a tartness, and the flavor was long lasting. Medium bodied. Superbly drinkable as the flavors are so complex and different, no boredom develops here.

Gavage, Jun 25, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Big frothy seashell colored head that is so active there is head in the bottle well after I pour it! The head in the glass settles to a nice active capping. The beer itself is a chestnut brown with some light sneaking through. Orange highlights twinkle in the glass.

Where to begin with the smells?? The smells are an intense mixture of leather, dark spices, molasses, coffee, chocolate, rum balls and a bit of coca-cola syrup. Very enticing.

Mouthfeel is more of the same with the spiced rum balls, dark spices, and cocoa and coffee showing through. This is one hell of a complex beer. The alcohol warms a bit as well and the taste lingers and lingers. Amazing stuff.

Mouthfeel is creamy and lively without a bit of prickle. It goes down smooth and lingers for awhile.

I will buy this again, but I think that more than one glass at a time would be overkill.

silenius, Jul 04, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

"The promises of this world are, for the most part, vain phantoms; and to confide in one's self, and become something of worth and value is the best and safest course."

--Michelangelo

The white Fantome phantom on the side of my new favorite glass lies in wait while the pale caramel cap slowly shrinks. Once the dark, burnished cherry of the beer is behind him, he practically jumps off the glass, so great is the color contrast. Although I expected something along the lines of impenetrable ebony, I love Black Ghost's look. It's unlike any BSDA that I've even seen. Imagine that, an unconventional Fantome beer!

The nose is easily identifed as originating from Belgium's most distinctive brewer. This is the darkest ale that I've ever smelled from Mr. Prignon, but it doesn't smell as dark as a typical BSDA. There's a minimum of roasted malt and very little cocoa. I smell musty leather, tobacco and sour fruit, with a bewitching mixture of herbs and spices that I couldn't begin to identify.

I'm not surprised that I love what this oddball ale delivers. Ordinarily, I wouldn't care for a BSDA that is more sour than it is sweet or bitter, but then this is anything but an ordinary brewery. Fantome beer is fascinatingly specter-like in that it's hard to grasp and somewhat hard to describe. It sure is lip smackingly good though.

Black Ghost is incredibly complex, especially as it gains a few degrees. I'm still reminded of leather and tobacco, as well as anise seed and a cornucopia of fruit that includes caramel-dipped Granny Smith apples, unripe figs, fresh plums and dried cherries. My taste buds are reeling with the ever-changing nature of the kaleidoscopic flavor profile.

Things become much more balanced from a sweet-bitter-sour standpoint as the beer warms. Sweet leads bitter early, bitter leads sweet late, and spicy-sour is dominant throughout. The mouthfeel could stand to be both a little more chewy and a little more voluminous. It's still wonderful, but doesn't quite measure up to the rest of this beer's excellence.

I don't know why I even bother to think that I know what any given Fantome beer will taste like. I'm usually way off-base, as I was here, but I'm almost always gobsmacked with what I eventually get. Black Ghost is a true original and is one of my favorite offerings from one of my favorite Belgian brewers. This stuff is scary good.

BuckeyeNation, Jun 18, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

I must say that I did not think that this was much of a Flemish Ale. It more of reminded me of a stout with belgian flare. With that said this beer is fantastic and should be sought out by all who like the unusual or enjoy the beers from this brewer.

It pours a dark brown (almost black) with a ruby tint and a big light brown head. I took one sniff and knew this was going to be great. It smells of roasted coffee, but there is also a farmhouse funk (musty, yeasty, some spiciness). The roasted barley jumps out in the extra creamy, smooth body and there is a thin tartness. There is some funk and licorice in before the lingering roasted dryness. Simply amazing.

ark57, May 06, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

bottled 2005 (purple label) and purchased from my local liquor store at $8.99 for a 750ml bottle. Cork was nearly impossible to remove, or perhaps i'm just a wuss.

Appearance- Pours into the glass with a menacingly dark color (deep brown, almost black) with a 1" dark tan head that strangely dissipates into a very large ring around the glass. In the center lies a massive pool that initially refuses to go anywhere. A little lacing to top it off. Let it settle for three minutes or so, however, and the head and lacing are completely gone. There's something about this that seems almost.... mysterious...

Smell- there's quite a bit going on here, that's for sure. A very earthy and natural tone sets the stage, gently blending into a yeasty and, oddly enough, coffee odor. Dark chocolate and that belgian spice character also noted. Slowly changes over the process; seems to take on slightly different notes every time i take a wiff.

Taste- a beer that can be both sedate and strong all at the same time, the beer seems to actually build momentum from the start of the sip until the end of the aftertaste. More and more seems to compile itself over time; starting out with a musty and earthy character (eating dirt? nah, that seems a bit harsh), then the yeast flies in, out come the spices, dark fruits, the dark chocolate, the expresso, and everything else. Really starts out small and then explodes. Long (and i mean somewhere in the realm of ten seconds) after i swallowed, a roasted bitterness and warming sensation abruptly entered. This beer tastes weird. Weird in the best way possible.

mouthfeel- I'm generally a fan of full-bodied brews (i.e. extremely heavy), something that i usually don't associate with Belgian beers. But this actually had quite a nice mouthfeel to it, very full and rich.

drinkability- I'm halfway through this bottle as we speak and there is absolutely no signs of me slowing down. This beer is such a curious creation that i'm actually finding myself drinking more and more in a futile effort of trying to figure it out. I expect that this entire 750 will be gone within the hour. I assume then tomorrow i'll purchase another bottle to try the same thing, and so the cycle will continue. Frightening drinkability.

There's something i can't quite figure out with this beer. I mean, yeah i certainly enjoyed it (perhaps a little too much), but it also frustrates me drinking it. Every time i think i have it completely figured out, it changes on me. Evil. Pure evil. Black Ghost is indeed a apt name for this mysterious brew. Buy it if you enjoy a good challenge.

IrishMike, Feb 12, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Very dark brown in color, with a thin, light tan head. Only moderate funkatude in the aroma, compared to other Fantomes. More malty than most, with some dark fruitiness and a slight spicy character.

The flavor is quite spicy -- hints of nutmeg, perhaps some cinnamon -- something of a burnt character. Plum like fruits lurk in the background, and a somewhat musky/earthy character is present throughout.

Medium bodied, with a dry finish. This is quite, quite nice. A nice winter warmer if you ask me!

mzwolinski, Aug 09, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Purple labeled version. Something about this beer (i can't put my finger on it) is delicously drinkable. Dark brown bubbly body, off white frothy head. Smells yeasty, musty-earthy, slight fruit, and a espresso-chocolate, almost too complex, i was getting confused wondering if i was really smelling all this. tastes of chocolate and coffee aftertastes. awesome ballance, light sweetness, hard to pick out some flavors, earthy-musty, light roasted malt, light bitter hops.mouthfeel is watery smooth. drinkability is high because of it's overall ballance.

danadeny, Jan 27, 2005

03/19/05- Purchased at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 24oz bottle shared by three BA members (hslater, axisjones and gclarkage) $15 for the bottle, poured into tulip glasses.

Appearance- Almost pitch black in color. Light and smooth looking head with above average lacing.

Smell- Dark, sweet and fruity scents. Not sure what the main scent is, but there is a managerie of them.

Taste- Damn, what's up with Fanotme. You can never figure out what the hell to make of any of them. All I can say it that they're all outstanding so far. This one has hints of raisins, prunes, maybe plums? Then it has a bit of bitterness almost like a brown ale. Then I taste a bit of roasted coffee flavor like a stout?!?! WTF!!!!
Damn you Fantome for making a mockery of my taste buds!

Mouthfeel- Moderate carbonation, can't really detect the alcohol, nice mouth coating experience.

Drinkability- I WILL be searching this one out again. Another true enigma created by Fantome.

GClarkage, Mar 20, 2005

750ml bottle.
Uncapping it...but, wait, there's a cork! Oh, anticipation....making me wait...POP!!!, and ...sour is the scent at first, ...now, we pour...color is magenta, a deep crimson, dark and mysterious, big beigish froth that zips down to nada quick.

Aroma, tart, at first, then mellow, dark fruits dominate, sour citrus leads the way, but never goes too far...quite nice.

Taste it, already! Mmmm! Wow,plums, grapes, dates, even, ...mmmm, i like it. Very different from other Fantomes I've had. Simple, yet complex, flavor aplenty. The label pegs it as an "ale brewed with spices", but I'm not sure which. None jumps out, none screams and shouts, but, as I get deeper into this bottle, I like it more and more and the flavors flood every little center of my senses. Tasty, spicy, ...utterly enjoyable, in every way. Zip, zip, zip, Mr. Beer greets Mr. Palate with tastiness aplenty every time lip meets cup and the taste lasts for seemingly forever.
Goodness, it makes itself so familiar in the the mouth, it may as well pay me rent.

I need more, but my glass, and the bottle, is nearly spent...oh, so sad...I'll be dreaming of this for some time to come.

feloniousmonk, Jul 12, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Today has been a dark, dreary rainy day. The dark grey skies seemed to be the best indication that I should break out the bottle of Black Ghost that has been sitting in my fridge. It pours a deep, murky, swampy black with a wonderful creamy billowing two finger tan foamy head that has great staying power. Dark brown accents shoot out of the edges of my glass. Aromas of dark roasted, burnt grains mingle with notes of dark cherry and fruit. Rotting vegetation and a funky aromatic earthy yeast culling barnyard tones enter with an underlying floral nose. Like a compost heap accentuated by an unknown mix of spices and a touch of sourness. Menacingly complex, each inhalation brings a new sensation and new images to mind.

First sip brings a roasty, dark maltiness with a touch of cocoa along with a big wall of floral and rotting vegetation flavors. Incredibly earthy with a dense spiciness and some underlying sourness. I think I can pick out some cinammon, cardamom and anise - but it's really a unique mix of tantalizing flavors. There's a mellow barnyard funkiness but it takes a back seat to the spiciness of the brew. Spent firewood from the night before. Each sip is a new experience. Finishes clean with a lingering earthy cocoa. An incredibly complex, enjoyable brew.

Mouthfeel is fairly light and arid with a sturdy carbonation. It's hard to even put the glass down here. I find this very drinakable and the 750ml bottle will make for a perfect end to the evening. If you're a Fantome fan, this is well worth seeking out. Another undoubtedly unique experience from Dany. Long live the friendly Fantome!

orbitalr0x, Nov 28, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

Deep russet brown appearance. Not much light gets through this one. Thick crop of beige foam that appears to be stained with blood. Retention is outstanding. Lace is quite adequate. Aroma of black cherry, boysenberry, wet cardboard, musty yeastiness and cedar. The flavors are quite subtle, but yet so damn complex and varied. I'm getting a lot of fruit juice like qualities. Dark fruits. Currants. Blackberries. There are also traces of rum-like alcohol qualities, but not a lot. There's a nice dry snap from the hops. Yeastiness is musty in character. Body is light and the carbonation is low to moderate. Nice feel in the mouth overall. And quite an enjoyable brew overall.

Bighuge, Nov 24, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

750 ml bottle, corked and capped, enjoyed slightly chilled in a chalice. Thanks to mntlover for bringing this one.
Appearance: Dark brown, but mostly clear, body with a small light brown head that quickly drops into a persistent film and collar of lace. Sheet lacing is present, but not pervasive.

Aroma: Not what I was expecting from a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, the aroma is closer to the Fantome Saisons, with a few notable exceptions. Fruity tart, funky and earthy yeast, grassy hops, citrusy tangerine and lemon, and an array of spices. Coriander and white pepper are prominent, as in the Saisons, but there is a definite note of anise.

Mouthfeel: Light medium body with low medium carbonation. Slick, and a bit oily.

Taste: Somewhat dry, with fruity notes of lemon, orange, and raisins. Earthy and grassy, with an old socks yeast character that is assertive. Quite spicy, with coriander, white pepper, and licorice. Alcohol is well hidden, but for an occasional retro-olfactory whiff. Spices become more herbal as it warms to room temperature. An odd note of chocolate malt makes a brief appearance and adds to the interesting complexity. Finish is dry and spicy, with lasting note of earthy yeast.

Drinkability: Very complex and interesting, with great drinkability due to its Saison similarities. Very much like a dark Saison in character. I've read that every bottle of this has different characteristics. I would certainly like to have another to see if this is so.

merlin48, May 25, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

The beer removes itself from the 750ml green capped and corked bottle a muddy blackberry color with the head ponderous in size, the consistency creamy and the color tan, as it transmogrifies the leftover lace a thick and clinging curtain upon the glass. Nose is cotton candy sweet, big malt with hints of toffee and over ripe fruit, pears comes to mind, fresh and appetizing with the start lightly sweet, rich and thick with malt, the top moderate to almost full in feel. Finish is delightfully carbonated, the hops are spicy in their bite, some alcohol bitterness at the end and quite dry, a delightful beer, but then it is a Fantome.

Gusler, Aug 10, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Appears a ruddy sediment filled brown with a tall foamy light tan head. Not much lace was left but the head stayed afloat atop the muddy body. Wow this is one interesting brew, the aroma has all sorts of odd scents coming at you. Strong barnyard funk, sweet and tart fruit and a mix of spices. Interesting roastiness or burnt scent is in the background. A lot more was going on to the point it is ridiculously complex. Taste was equally as complex with a mix of fruits, funk, spice and the kitchen sink. I was fairly confused drinking this as to all the flavor coming together so well. Something I would have to have a few bottles of to really appreciate though I enjoyed this one. Ends on a odd roasty burnt cocoa note. Almost medium with a real smooth creamy feel to it. Its pretty damn drinkable for the complexity and oddity that it is. Definitely one of the most unusual beers I have ever had, worth seeking out.

meathookjones, Mar 04, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Thanks for sharing this one, Richard.

A: The pour is dark brown color, nearly black with a nice tan head to go with it.

S: The nose offers up a nice acidity and lemon tartness with subtle hints of roasted malts. Quite a bit of fruit notes such as cherries, unripe plums, and raisins.

T: Lots of nice fruit flavors going on here, black cherries, plums, raisins, and maybe even some currants. A moderate lactic tartness that works nicely with the roast and fruits.

M: The body is light to medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: This is one delicious beverage. Fantome is sort of hit or miss with me, but this one was a definite winner.

womencantsail, Aug 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Black Ghost is a tough beer to classify, with wholly unique tendencies toward brown ale, Flemish sour brown, and other styles, perhaps best described generically as a "spiced beer."

Earthy hazelnuts and deep cocoa-infused cinammon. Mexican hot chocolate. Fascinating profile with a surprisingly liquid mouthfeel. Licorice. Complex malt. Somewhat wild, almost pungent, acid on the nose that, though calm, adds a component that makes this beer virtually limitless and certainly out of the confines of any one style.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Jul 18, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance: Ugly as hell. Muddy, sceptic tank brown, with zero head, and plenty of weird sediment. Reminded me of the mixtures I used to make with apple juice, 5 different food colourings and half of my mother's spice rack back when I was a kid.

Smell: Horseblanket, frankincense, plums and/or mincemeat fruit, minty freshness. Ho yeah!

Taste: Very acidic, tart with raspberry and blackberry tang, milk chocolate, oak and an all around aura of funkalishiousness, if you don't mind the expression.

Goldorak, Feb 26, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +13%

Wow! This one pours a very intrigueing reddish brown thick cloudy glowing color. Good off white head that leaves some lace. Nose is very belgian, malty with some spice and sugar. The taste on this one is wonderful and remarkably unique. Very candy like. Good malt presence, but there is a sweet and sour aspect that is very desireable. There is a specific kind of candy this reminds me of I used to eat when I was a kid, but I can't think of it. A great sort of appley bite of flavor that shows up right through the middle there. Some slight spice, but not as much as the nose indicated. That thin candy flavor lingers on into the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but it fits well with the slightly sour mouthfeel. Drinkability is extremely good on this one, the abv does not make an appearance. Overall this is one of the most unique brews I have had in some time. Very tasty, and one I will surely revisit. Very complex. The only trouble is the goddamn bottle cost me $15 bucks! worth it for a special occasion though, thats for sure! good one!

AKBelgianBeast, Jun 29, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +13%

This beer poured a deep black color, I mean a dark stout color with no real highlights. The tan head was thick an rich with an immense carbonation. I poured this into a Unibrou Don de Dieu glass, and the head overwhelmed the glass, and overflowed. The nosr has a sweet caramel and date character backed by a delicate spice. Cinnamon, orange peel, light pepper, and something more mid-east in nature (almost the incense you smell in church during the holidays). The taste has the malty sweetness up front with more of a toffee character here, then a big spice component in the middle. The orange peel, and cinnamon along with the unidentified spice comes back through, There’s a little nutmeg in there too. The finish has more hop character, a little hop flower and grapefruit, along with a mild alcohol warming. Very full, rich mouth feel, and a good drinakbility. Another great offering from the craftsmen at Fantome.

carln26, Apr 12, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +13%

750ml bottle that I've cellared for a little over 6 months, poured into my cherished Fantome tulip, Black ghost is a murky chestnut with a large, light tan head with big, frothy bubbles, it grows like some kind of chemical reaction, but doesn't overwhelm the glass with foam. I've never seen such a violent, turbulent settling of a beer, with tons of bubbles agitating chunks of sediment. Once it settles, the spritzers remain to support a collar, but it doesn't leave a flex of lace. Looks like apple cider, with the last full pour looking almost turkey gravy thick!

Smell is very vinous, lactic tart fruitness, grapes and lemons.

Taste is fruity, musty, and vinous, with a light sourness that makes me glad I gave this a ½ year to age. There's a hint of vinegar reminiscent of a oud bruin, but also an herbal woodiness, damp but fresh. I wouldn't be surprised if this was using some bizarre ingredients, 'shrooms, herbs and moss by the taste, but who knows? Wow, incredibly complex, I really shouldn't have tried to categorize it. I love the fruits, tart lemons and sweet grapes, it's the Purplesaurous Rex of Fantomes! I particularly love the finish, sugary sweet. I was expecting more of a Belgian Stout, but this is perfect for the late fall season and my general mood today!

Mouthfeel is very light and dry, highly digestible. The dry pucker counters the stillness, and overall it's pretty silky.

Drinkability is great, a little tart, a lot going on, but really easy going down. I have to say I didn't have the highest hopes, but this is really fantastic. So glad I have another bottle or two in the stash, this is a totally unique, yet at the same time so totally trademark Fantome. This was my choice for cracking midnight on my 30th birthday, and I couldn't have chosen better.

ccrida, Dec 01, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +13%

750ml bottle, capped and corked. Lots of carbonation on the cork pop but no surge. The beer is murky, tan orange brown, lots of floating yeast particles. The smell is not really BSDA to me, more funky and Fantome-y. Sour apple cider, barnyard, and who knows what spices. The taste is not easy to nail in words, but has elements you'd associate with Fantome, some sour bite but not too much, a little fruity, maybe almost dusty. As with all their beers, this Fantome is unique and good.

TurdFurgison, Dec 31, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance – This one poured a very dark, dirty brown like muddy pond water. The head was small.

Smell – The aroma here is light, even at room temperature. The light fruits are sour and somewhat dark. There’s a dominant deep grape side to this nose. I can also pick up some hearty prunes.

Taste – Wow, did this ale come alive at the taste. The prunes are huge and very dark. The dates seem dipped in a light chocolate sauce. There are also some light zesty citrus notes and big, powdery spices. On top of all this, there’s a wonderfully strong yeast base.

Mouthfeel – This BSDA is medium-bodied with some sharp, leafy bitterness. It just explodes in the mouth.

Drinkability – I’ve never had anything quite like this. It is a must try for any Belgian beer fans. I’m sure I haven’t even come close to catching all of the flavors here. What a treat.

Comments – Big thanks to skyhand for mustering up the willpower to save some of this for me.

RoyalT, Oct 15, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Large bottle, capped and corked. Pours black with min. light shining thru, dark tan head, leaving luxorious lacing. Nose is licorish and dark malts. This is a full flavor dark ale, lots of burnt malt flavor, prunes, rum, dark chocolate and smoke. Also musty, earthy and more licorish. Not as phenolic and spicy as other Fantome ales, but this is a big, heady, complex brew, Belgian dark ale lovers must give this one a try.

Billolick, Apr 29, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Not nearly as funky as I was expecting, but rather well balanced. Thanks to my friend Dave for sharing his x-mas present with me.

The beer pours to a dark brown with a nice amber hue. The head is fairly effervescent and retains through most of the drink. Looks good.

The smell is sweet, like candi sugar, with a hint of belgian funk and esoteric spices. Very interesting. Some funky stuff going on with the yeast. Has a hint of black anise and raisins.

The taste is very similar to the nose, though more intense. It is on the sweet side of dry. All of the flavors are mixed to perfection. The alcohol flavor is present, but it seems to enhance the other flavors quite well.

Medium in body, and fairly well drinkable. I am glad I was able to try it.

neonbrown82, Jan 02, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

As this beer rests in my glass it shows a somewhat hazy, deep garnet color. It is topped by a light brown head that is quite thick & spawned by an aggressive carbonation. As with many of Fantomes beers you can get some variability between batches & even between years. The first bottle I had the aroma is ever so slightly sour, which, is joined by notes of raisin and fig. Surprisingly, to me at least, I get aromatic notes of chocolate and roasted malts, as well as notes of grain husks. The taste, well it is much different than I was expecting, there is a definite dark malt signature here. The finish is of husky roasted malt with a hint of burnt coffee. The roast character is similar to a subtle porter. Of course this is a Belgian brew so the yeast must contribute as well. Fruity notes of raisin, a certain nuttiness, and perhaps a light acidity, though this is fairly subtle. This bottle needs a year or so more age so that the dark malts can mellow and become better integrated, and perhaps gain a bit more in acidity.

The second bottle that I had was much more acidic in the aroma, though the dark/ roast malts were still in the nose. This bottle was like drinking chocolate in some ways. This bottle seems to be a bit more acidic, which really helps to smooth out the dark/ roast malt notes into soft chocolate notes. The extra acidity adds a wonderful balancing element to this beer, and it really starts to sing. The acidity is still fairly light but this beer now has a creamy chocolate middle which is quite tasty.

This is a new experience for me, a Saison with some dark malt character. I definitely like this, it is quite unique.

Gueuzedude, May 16, 2004