Fantôme Babillard BBBrr - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Babillard BBBrrFantôme Babillard BBBrr

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: yen157 on 04-27-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.51/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Dunt for saving me a pour of this. It appears a hazy copper to amber color with a tan cap that fades leaving big bubbles holding around the edges.

The aroma is very bready and grainy almost like biscuits paired with unfermented wort. A little fruitiness, raison, caramel and mild oxidation/cork character. To date, ive never had a fantome smell anything like this. Very atypical which says a lot considering the wild variation.

The flavor is as expected quite malty like bread/biscuits with a slight fruity edge and herbal bitterness coming into play. There is some cork/oxidation poking through as it warms. Strangely enough the flavor of this is very linear and plain compared to all other Fantome experiences ive had.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is peculiar how fresh and malty feeling this is even after being aged 10 years. As far as fantome goes, this is very plain and forgettable. Glad I got a chance to try it but lackluster and character-less is about as fitting of a description as I can give.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Ow! My ears man! When I pulled the cork on this it was extremely piercing.

Pours a slightly fogged amber with a creme head. Nose was a chalky honey at first. Then it seemed to go a bit almost rubbery/plastic like. Flavor has subdued honey tones. A calmed down mature earthy thing. Smooth sweet tone. Feel has a typical liquid feel and the carbonation is on the level. This is drinkable, yes. But I have to agree with others that this is past it's prime. The flavors have begun to mature a bit too much. It was still nice to drink though. I pine for my early NYC days when Fantone was more widely available here.

Thanks to kplynch for this one.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

thanks to mikesgroove for this one. Pours an odd amber/orange color with a huge fluffy fantome head. Nose is all spice and malt, missing the hops here. Taste follows with a lot of maltiness for a saison, and some spice with a tiny bit of peppery flavor. Mouthfeel is good and plenty carbonated. Drinkability is ok, but the age on this one has hampered this a bit. Ok, but I think this one is past its prime.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

I found a stash of these bottles at a local store, and when asking the manager where they came from, apparently they had been sitting in the back fridge in a wine carton for a couple years! Go figure, anyway they were at least stored out of the sun in a cool environment, so I figured we should be good to go. Always appreciate finding that rare, aged treat. Cool looking Fantome bottle, with the usual cap and cork to it. I proceeded to open this one up and pour this light reddish looking liquid into my Terrapin snifter. I right away noticed that there was a definite light red or pinkish hue to it, and a good amount of sediment in the bottle. Some light carbonation was coming up from the bottom now, and making it look a good bit thicker. Light cloudiness and haze overtaking it as well. A decent sized head of foam, perhaps two inches high then came up over the top and settled down a little lightly and left behind just the slightest bit of film across the top, mostly on the sides and a small amount of side glass lace.

The aroma was very malty, which surprised me a bit. There was definitely some hints left in there of some wild yeast that had probably at one time been very dominant, but now were sitting in the background, just giving off the slightest aroma of cherry tartness every once and a while. A good bit of caramel and apple mixing in, and a lot of earthy grain like smells wafting in and out. The flavor was more of the same, heavy on the malts, with a good dosing of what almost tasted like corn syrup sweetness. There was some dark fruits in there, raisins, hints of dark sour cherries and prunes, and a touch of raspberry floating around as well. Loads of bready malts driving it now, but the finish was nice and left that good cherry flavor on the tongue for a few minutes before it faded. There was adequate carbonation in here, however something just did not feel right with it. It had a somewhat thin feeling, watery or slick almost, quite different. I was not really sure what to make of that, but it distracted me quite a bit from enjoying this. The drinkability was good, light abv and an interesting, malty, and almost spicy flavor, I could easily finish off this bottle with ease.

Overall it was interesting to say the least. Not overpowering, and much darker, and breadier then most Belgians. It did not really taste stale, or oxidized in any way, just like it had gone through a tremendous transformation. For a 6% abv beer that was over 4 years old, not bad though. It was definitely interesting, and something that I would drink again though.

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

A soon as this delectable brew is poured very active carbonation explodes into a white, rocky head that retains its composure before slowly dissapating to a deep red-brwonish color very similar to a Flanders Cru.

Aromas are very interesing. Musty hay, wet grasses, an old cellar, yeast, then this awesome twang of wild grass,strawberries,some toffee. Its really hard to describe. Like being in a musty cellar and suddenly smelling a patch of wild grass. Very wide range of aromas to explore.

Flavors are crisp,tart,fruitlike,some candy-like sweetness,high carbonation. absolutley delicious. Once again, so complex it is nearly impossible to pick out very many individual in the kaliedecope in my mouth right now. Mouthfeel finishes on the lighter side, this brew is very carbonated.

This was my fisrt from Fantome, and I honestly don't know what to say other than-wow! How did he do that? Drinking a beer such as this is truly inspiring to an aspiring brewer such as myself. I eagarly anticipate my next offering from this brewery.

Thanks to eyedrinkale for sharing this one...
Appears a hazy, dark amber with a small white head that fades into a mild white cap. Spotty streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of funky, cork, wet straw, toffee, vanilla, brown sugar, and roasted nuts.
taste is of the mentioned aromas with a standout of sweet, sugary, earthy malts. Light oxidation in this aged bottle but still decent.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, semi-sweet, smooth, with sugary caramel holding on with light herbs and spices.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

Acquired from BRoss242 courtesy of the Never Again (Again) BIF, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 750ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a decent lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of Belgian yeast, sour apples, caramel and light malts.

T: The taste starts out with a good sweet & sour combination containing flavors of apples, apricots, spice, caramel, chocolate and Belgian yeast. However, the sweetness fades quickly and leaves the sour sting. The malt character is hearty and there’s a mild hops presence. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, clean and dry finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down as easy enough, not too filling, however it seems to me that the beer is a bit past its prime, but it does seem to get better as you drink through the bottle.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy light amber color with a dynamic head that gushes, persists and laces

Smell: Malted chocolate, a touch of caramel and a strong hint of nutmeg - my this almost smells like egg nog, spiked, of course

Taste: Starts with a wonderful sweet toffee flavor up front, like sucking for a moment on a Kraft caramel; just before the swallow an assertively funky bitterness kicks in and really develops as the liquid slips down the gullet; has the characteristic of Brie cheese; the finish provides an echo of the caramel along with a leathery tannic aspect

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body and a bright carbonation; the tongue prickles after the finish from the tannins

Drinkability: Another extraordinary effort from Fantome.

Although this beer is retired, I still see it around on the shelves in the Carolinas - time to get some more!

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

750ml, I assume this bottle is a couple of years old at least. Pours with nice light tan head, nose is immediately recognizable as Fantome, very musty and 'barnyard' odors immediately are noted.

taste is surprisingly sweet, a bit syrupy, maybe a bit old-beer taste as well. aftertaste is a bit more subtle, slightly bitter and bittersweet.

Low-alcohol variant from this brewery. Happy I found it, it obviously is gone forever.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

07/05/06- Received in a trade via AlexJ.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, capped and corked with no evidence of a freshness date. The cork tells all, but haven't delved into it yet. It's at least a year old though, possibly much more. Poured into my Duvel tulip. Damn I wish I had a Fantome glass!

Appearance- Dark golden, maybe a murky amber color. The yeast really clouded it up at the end. Huge ass foamy, large bubbled head. This baby exploded out of the bottle. Luckily I had a glass nearby and didn't lose a drop. Took a good 10 minutes to pour the entire bottle into two Duvel glasses. Huge chunks and pocks of lace remain. Wonderful sight.

Smell- Heavy, make that super heavy on the dark fruit scent. I got massive amounts of prunes, plus maybe some nutmeg and cinnimon scents. Maybe some corcord grape scents as well.

Taste- Tastes a good amount like the scent, but with a bit more orange and lemon flavors. Definite peppery spices and some sugary moments also. Very laid back, could use a bit more oomph, but then again, it is only 6%.

Mouthfeel- Rather well carbonated. A bit sticky and lip smacking.

Drinkability- An all around tasty beer and another well done project from the Fantome. Impressed as usual. Thanks much for the sample Alex!

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes. 750 ml. 300 ml sample. The cork almost blew out of this one as I attacked it with the waiters key. This one pours with a ton of bubbly head that settled very quickly to a solid coat over top that was maintained by a moderate carbonation bubling up. The beer was an oranged tea color with a finger of head after all the initial fuss. Clarity was moderate. Nose was musty, with light straw notes and a moderate aged brett funkyness. A very light brown sugary flavor (not sweetness) was there as well. The mustyness was pretty strong, and this one just didn't seem to have the depth of flavor of other Fantome brews. The flavor was very funky, musty, barnyardy wit ha kiss of sourness. There was a moderate bite to the funk, not like a hoppy bite, but not an astringency. Just a bite. The mustyness was very prominent, and even a touch too much for me. The finish was a mild pepperyness and a mild bitter. The complexity is nice, but the flavors didn't jive well with my taste. Feel was all about carbonation. As soon as I took a sip, the carbonation just burst into a ton of foam. It really made it difficult to enjoy more, as I felt I was drinking all foam. Lots of bubble in soution and my mouth was the nucleation site. The finish was very dry, seeming to draw all the water out of my mouth with it. Overall, this one was okay. Funk was very strong, most likely from the age on this one. It left me feeling full of bubbles, not something I like. I'd give this one a big swirl a few times before drinking it to see if I could get the carbonation down a little

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Listed as retired, perhaps, but purchased in November, 2005, off the shelf at the Weinhaus, Asheville, NC, for $8.99. At least three other bottles were available at that time.
Served at cellar temperature into a large goblet, it poured the typical foamy, immense offwhite headed monster as most good Saisons tend to do. Several minutes later, after the head recedes a bit, a clear amber emerges. The body hazes with subsequent pours, but the head remains, becoming rocky and meringue like. Lots of the offwhite sticky stuff clings to the glass.

Aroma is herbal and spicy, with an unexpected candied caramel backbone. Rustic barnyard yeastiness is prevalent(no surprise). Myriad spice cabinet offerings provide the "Fantome expereince", adding notes of rosemary, coriander, white pepper, basil, and chamomile.

Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium, briskly carbonated, with soft Belgian pastoral spicing tang on the tongue.

Tatse has candied caramel. sheep pasture yeastiness, and an abundance of herbal and floral hops. Nicely balanced, overall. "Sheep on a Stick" yeasty/herbal hop bitterness, still gets subdued by the candied caramel maltiness.

Drinkability is fantastic, as with any Fantome Saison, but this one is a bit overburdened with sweet malt. A stronger hops profile would be helpful here, but this is a "Christmas beer", judging by the label, so I'm sure that this one is as they indended.

This was sampled at the Connecticut River Brewer's Festival 2005, in Holyoke, MA. From a lightly chilled bottle.

This beer was a clear amber ale with a four finger head that lasted quite a while. It took some time to pour my mug, even after I sucked off some of the foam.

Aroma hinted at light bittering hops, and it was a tad vinous. Very light and fresh.

Taste was of darker malts, with a slightly bitter tone. It was a little vinous, but not too much so. Slightly sour. Quite well balanced.

Mouthfeel was a bit creamy (from the carbonation), and a bit tart. I liked it.

VERY drinkable. From my sampling of several saisons from Fantôme, I have discovered that I like the style... although I have yet to comprehend what is meant by a "barnyard" taste.

Hazy, peachy amber in hue with a kiss of gold in the mix as well. I really like how this beer looks! It is better than sunshine in a glass. The head was slightly off-white in color; at the apex the foamy mass of bubbles was two-fingers in height. Head retention was excellent; it was slow to fade to a thin cap. However, there wasn’t much subsequent lacing; that bums me out, I mean, a Belgian beer should have lace! All in all, this beer looks good, very good in fact… of course I’ve seen better (and worse) but, like I said, BBBrr looks good.

The potency of the nose is moderate but it says a whole hell of a lot in the whispers. The first sniff reminded me of Duvel, there was a hoppy blast… but I never could find it again, oh well. The next few sniffs turned earthier and mustier with grapes, peaches, and candied pineapples. Spicy too. There was a minimal, but noticeable, amount of farmhouse qualities but I’d expect more for a Saison (is this really a Saison or is this just some crazy-ass Fantome beer?). Oaky with a kiss of cork. Oranges. Flowers. Herbs. At the back, near the end… I finally found the malt [you will read my review below and I say otherwise but I did find it much later]; there is some caramel. Acidic finish. The nose is nice, I like it, it is inviting. I would have liked more from such a great brewery, no complaints however.

Damn! Where did that malt backbone come from? I didn’t smell anything that was suggestion this was coming. Caramel malt, it is toasty like a good Amber ale [notice above my commits added in brackets about the bouquet]. That really impresses me; this supplies a very good foundation for the other flavors to spring off of. I detect candied apples, oranges, and pineapple, followed by kisses of toffee and some chocolate wood flavors. I can’t say I have ever tasted chocolate wood but that is what it tastes like! Conversely, in reality, this beer isn’t so funky; sure there are some Farmhouse qualities but they are very secondary and distant. I don’t know what to make of this beer… yes, it is very good but, I mean, damn tasty but, really, it isn’t that great. It seems like an Amber Ale brewed with Belgian yeast… maybe Fat Tire (of my dreams). Tasty. It is kind of simple but likeable nevertheless.

Medium in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is very relaxing and it fits this beer well. Soothing. I would love this beer with smoked turkey, Gouda cheese and onions on wheat bread. Yeah, that sounds like a sandwich worthy of this beer.

This beer is very drinkable. I found it satisfying but it is not world class. In other words, it is good beer but it is not great. Maybe it would have been better fresher. Maybe I would have made little difference. No matter, I enjoyed every ounce of the 750ml I purchased in Iowa City. This was a nice treat.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Aroma is nice malty and slightly sweet with fruity overtones. Shots of hops (European in character). Slightly spicy. Soft aroma, yet comlex and really enjoyable. Slightly horsey quality come in time. Earthy.
Nice dense cork.
Cloudy amber of orange and brown. Head settles to 1/4 inch head, but lots of lacing even with settling.
Flavor is similar to aroma, subtle, yet more complex. The soft fruits appear first combining and followed by soft spiceness. Finishes with greatly increasing intensity of bitterness. Quite low on sweetness. Soft alcohol quality. Finishes rather long and dry.
Carbonation is actually quite low, therefore lacking the effervescent quality. Rather soft overall and smooth. A bit thin.
This has a easy drinking quality. Complex yet beyond a simple sipping drink. Feel the alcohol in time, but never in taste. Tartness is mild but increases in time. This is easy to drink and enjoy. Bitterness and dryness are fairly high.

I need to give an ode to Gueuzedude who provide this and many other samples to me. As I looked at the bottles he gave me, via BIF10, he picked his personal 2 highest scoring saisons. A nice personal touch that I appreciate. As I told him, I'm a very patient person and I have sat on these bottles for over a year. And now I'm finally enjoying the fruits of my "labor". Many thanks again Gueuzedude! I toast you and your efforts (with the Stone Imperial Russian Stout that you also gave to me).

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

Purchased at Spirit Haus in Amherst Mass and drank just days after purchase. Poured into a Wide Mouth Chimay glass - a deep orange liquid with a beauty of a head. Lots of yeasties dormant on the bottom of the bottle - wanting to end up in my glass... An aroma of cherry/grape - an almost typical belgian candy scent - not overy impressive...quite faint, in fact. A minimal taste as well - nutty fruit tones, almost like a sparkling grape, with detections of candy sugar and a subtle earthy appearance at late palate. A very dry and fizzy mouthfeel that mellows into a smooth acceptance of its offering. The overall finish, however, is cloying with notes of mouthwash bittersweetness and an almost burnt unpleasantness.
The finish deters from the drinkability and i am forced to ask... this is a saison? The least impressive offering that i have experienced thus far from Fantome...

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear pale amber with an off-white moussy and tall head that fell incredibly slowly and coated the glass from top to bottom. On the second pour the chunkies came forward (appearnce rating was based upon first pour).

The aroma was low and shielded by the huge head with some light earthiness and low spice present before the head fell back. Afterwards some slight chocolate and malt aromas emerged, but the aroma was still fairly light.

The flavor was nicely achieved with earthy and slightly spicy hop bittering and flavor leading the charge. The malt presence was low and overshadowed by hop presence, but caramel still had it's place and let it's presence be known. As the beer warmed a light chocolate flavor emerged and the spice flavors, thought muted, became more pronounced.

The finish was dry with light spiciness lasting alongside bittering long into the aftertaste. The body was medium and was well done with the carbonation level.

750 ml corked and capped bottle. Purchased in NC at Southern Season for $9. My goodness this was a tasty beer. Very easy to drink and very well done. I didn't see many high reviews, perhaps mine was aged longer, glad I still have another bottle!

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a hazy orange with a n enormous creamy ivory head, Sheets of lace. Smell is fruity and citrusy. Yeasty and oungent. Pear aromas. Lightly spicy.

Taste is lightly spicy up front. Followed by bitterness and light funkiness (brett?). Some subdued bitter herbal hops and earthiness. Dry, especially in the finish. Mouth is strangely creamy and dry. This is nice stuff. Pretty mellow but really tasty.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Always a treat to try some Fantome, it's always a mystery in a bottle. So this one appears a vibrant ruby orange color with a mountainous head that doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Smell is rather sweet with sugary nutmeg spices, with a toned down dry hay scent and a touch of bitter hops in there. Less funky than others from this brewery. Taste has the same sweet qualities, but there's also an airy light crisp taste as well, and a subtle dusty taste. It's actually a fairly simple beer from Fantome, but it does its job. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and a bit creamy for a saison. Another unique beer from a great company. If you like this, branch out and try their other stuff.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

I don't have too much to say about this beer other than it stood out at the Pizza Port 12 Hour Beglian Beer Party.

Appearance is rather dark amber with tons of head. Smell... well, this is familiar and unusual... it smells exactly like brew day, any homebrewer would recognize this. Flavor is as worty as possible, I have never tasted anything that has gone through fermentation that tastes like this beer. This is really odd and interesting, its medium bodied and clings a bit to the palate. Not entirely sure how drinkable it is cause I had way too many samples prior to this one. Give it a whirl, especially if you brew!

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Apricot-tinted tan with a puffy buttered mound on top.
Mildweed nose, backed with salted bread, pears, and cilantro. Defiled with a stinging rock-like minerality.
It enters full of apple skins, then onward to the promised pear. Dotted, perhaps, with more exotic fruit nuance, but fruit on the whole presents as blanched and dehydrated. Saltine cracker maltiness lucks below. Yeast enters, towing bread and dust and chalk. The stony quality grows and gains a moderate astringency. Lightly spicy with notions of basil. Ends with a field of summer weeds, stalky, green, brown, with interspersed floral blooms.
The body is airy, yet possesses a certain heft of cream. Easy to drink, but not interesting enough to merit repeated visits in leiu of any other ghostly offering.

Thanks Bighuge.