Fantôme Summer (2002 And Prior) - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Summer (2002 And Prior)
No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 12-05-2004)
CelticAleMan

bditty187

Nebraska

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Fantôme: Summer ’99

Hazy, tawny-coppery gold in hue, the color is very attractive. The head reached an apex of a little over two fingers in height; head retention was decent. The foam slowly faded to a fizzy cap and then to nothing at all. There isn’t much active carbonation noticed in the liquid yet when I put my ear to the head I could hear it crackling and popping (thanks Fred!). However there was no subsequent lacing, disappointing but to be expected with a beer of this age I suppose. Even after all these years the beer looks very attractive in my goblet, especially the mysteriousness of the haze.

The nose has a lovely malty undertone, I wonder if this was here fresh? If not, it works right now. The spices are very muted but softly complex. Spicy. Herbal. Plus there are hints of oak-like wood throughout. There is a sweetness that is very adorable; it is like gram crackers dipped in honey with caramel drizzled on top. Fruity hints too, apples, pears, and white grapes. Lovely! There are some traces of yeastiness but nothing too funky. The potency is moderate but I can clearly understand everything this Saison is saying. I found it very inviting.

The palate is amazingly laid back and yet so very tasty. After all these years all the pieces of the puzzle fell together wonderfully. There is sweetness, from the malt, toasty caramel, figs, apples, pears, gram crackers, honey, and spicy herbs, kiss of raisin, prunes. Oak too. Winy notes. The flavor profile is amazingly deep and only at the very end can the alcohol be found. It offers heat and some spice of its own. The finish is winy, very long with some heat, some herbal notes, and just a trace of sweetness. The beer has aged very well. I’d love to pair this beer with some funky-ass cheese with rye crackers and a side dish of fruit. Fucking tasty.

Medium in body with very lively carbonation, the mouthfeel is zesty and very enjoyable.

I loved this beer. I bought it in February 2004 at John’s in Iowa City, for some reason I’ve failed to drink it until today. Damn what a waste of time. I remember there was two bottles when I bought it; too bad the other one is long gone now. This beer has aged with tremendous grace. I am deeply impressed; many people have told me that this style of beer doesn’t age well. I would have to disagree based on this sample. Lovely stuff.

12-05-2004 15:52:39 | More by bditty187
Fantôme Summer (2002 And Prior) from Brasserie Fantôme
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.