Fantôme Chocolat - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme ChocolatFantôme Chocolat

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: yen157 on 01-16-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

11-26-2011 02:27:26 | More by Rochefort10nh
putnam

4.78/5  rDev +27.5%

Pretty trails of gunsmoke drape over uncorked aperture. Hazy amber liquid marched through by Champagne pinpricks. Eggy splatter on top suggests the end of a brief, tall explosion of foam. Mustard seed, red apple cider and cocoa aromas. Faintly, vanilla pods. More faintly, mulled citrus. Very low acidity. Silky, dry-textured. Unusual bitterness: tidy yet sooty and expansive. This is bitterness beautifully cushioned by nutty, toasted crust flavored malt and glycerin. The bitterness completely eclipses any but the most fleeting manifestation of the tangy fruit implied in the aromas. A haunting hallucination of fruits and spices keeps its distance on the finish, like the laughing souls of hell. Still no edges. No sweetness. No alcohol flavor. Beautiful integration and rhythm.

09-18-2005 22:56:28 | More by putnam
Misanthropy_Sipping

Nebraska

4.76/5  rDev +26.9%

On a visit to Colorado, a good friend and I stopped at a liquor store and inquired about Fantome after spotting the Christmas. They brought this out, making a mention that this was one of a managers "white whales" of beers. I love Fantome, so it didn't make much of a difference.

I was going to buy it.

Pours from the bottle a rich honey, to light amber. Wasn't really sure what to expect. The head fizzes up but dissipates down rather quickly and remains as a thin off white, creamy film over the top. Bubbles lace very inconsistently and most at a great distance to one another. A slight orangey in tone, nothing too unusual for a saison.

The nose is struck very prominently but a green bottle, slightly yeasty, nearly sour ale funk. There is a bit of grass and mingling citrus fruit with grapefruit and orange. But the smell alone worries me a bit with the funk. I'm not getting any chocolate, or any noticeable peppers... It is a tad vegetal. It does change and becomes more complex as it warms.

The taste! What a surprise! This is not funked out by the green bottle exposure at all. Completely recognizable as a Fantome. The Fantome yeast is quite apparent in all it's earthiness and funkiness. There is a pinch of damp woodsy, logs. Like a forest after a gentle rain. I catch a tad amount of cocoa but it is twisted into the earthy yeast and this sort of ashiness. The peppers are not hot but quite vegetal. This beer is also citrusy, lemony and grapefruity and a bit of orange... and... AND it is a tad sour. In a good way! Not a bad, 'oops, messed up and now the beer is sour way'. No this tastes good and comes off as possibly intentional to me. Very complex... very saison... very Fantome. So much nuance it is ridiculous.

Mouthfeel is great, just a pinch dry. A mild, mouthwatering sourness. Foamy, refreshing, and easy to drink. Just as a saison should be. It is a tad sweet but it is not sticky or offending. It is just really clean cut and nice.

In the end... another magnificent Fantome saison. All the little things happening in this beer make it a great choice and a must try... even a beer at $15 that I would not hesitate to buy again if I have the chance. Who cares if the appearance is profound and the smell isn't clear or telling. The taste is mind-blowing.

03-06-2014 05:50:10 | More by Misanthropy_Sipping
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.63/5  rDev +23.5%

750ml, had this one kicking around for a while. Into standard pint glass. Corked and capped.

A- Pale beyond comprehension, and filtered (or well-settled). Unusual, but then again, it's a fantome. Amazing sticky head, could have fooled me for an IPA here.

S- Funky, right from the uncorking. Mildly fruity, mildly grassy. I can get lost in this.

T- Lighter than I expected. A faint tartness, some berry sweetness, a dash of mustiness. Perhaps some tangerine and lingering clove spices. Nothing too heavy in any direction. No hint of chocolat or the chili powder... but that's OK, this is pretty tasty. Actually, it's very tasty.

M- Light, well-carbonated, and refreshing, even at 8%. A magic trick from Dany, if I dare say. This beer is begging me to drink it. A slick mouthfeel (good though) and some dry sweetness... hard to describe but oh-so-good.

D- Through the roof. The most drinkable Belgian I've ever encountered. My favorite fantome? Hard to say. But I had high expectations and this one exceeded it very much. Totally not what I had in mind but I'm delighted by the beer this is. Wish I bought more of this, a few more bottles are in order. A spectacular beer.

07-01-2010 02:20:32 | More by ShogoKawada
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.58/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours an effervescent, semi hazed amber with one finger of eggshell white head. this really murks up at the bottom the, bottle reminding me of the bottom a tough cider jug transforms the beer poop brown. Zero head retention & a touch of lacing

S: Sourness, grassyness, & apples

T: Sourness, a touch of caramel, green apples, slight brown sugar & red pepper burn up front. Much dryness, some cocoa & more puckery apples & pears, plus either grapefruit hoppyness, red pepper or both as this warms. Finishes with crisp apples, lemons, grapefruit, & spicy cocoa, that reminds me a little bit of the "Ranger Cocoa: we used to make in the field with our MREs= Mre cocoa powder, MRE coffee & Tabasco sauce; really kept ya warm & alert!

MF: Medium bodied, spritzy, & a touch of stickyness

Drinks pretty easy despite the ABV & style, not a huge saison fan, but this is an exception, maybe I need to ovaltine & hot sauce to all future saisons I drink! This is the best saison taste-wise, I think I've had, period...so far

07-18-2008 04:13:30 | More by russpowell
bditty187

Nebraska

4.58/5  rDev +22.1%

Hazy, peachy-gold in hue with a slight paleness to the liquid (especially when backlit) but it was darkish otherwise. Compact, thick white foam, at the apex the head was a healthy two fingers tall. I was impressed with the head retention; the bubbles were very slow to fade. A thin, soapy cap lasted the entire consumption. Subsequent lacing was tattered but widespread. This is an attractive beer. Lovely.

I smell suggestions of marshmallows, candied oranges, lemongrass, and tropical fruits spiced with a mystifying array of soft spiciness. The cocoa notes are largely missing. In many ways it smells like a typical Fantome beer but it is just a tad too restrained. Not too funky (which is a bad thing) and not overly earthy either (another bummer). IMO, the nose is a straightforward Saison, which is an odd thing from this brewery. At the back I do get hints of musk. Moderately complicated… enjoyable. Good potency, chatty. Inviting.

The palate finally shows the cocoa and the chili pepper. I love how the chilies hit my palate at the swallow, at the back of the throat. It is used as a spice not as a side dish. The same can be said about the cocoa as it really plays wonderfully with the earthiness, maltiness, and funkiness. I absolutely love the flavor profile. Light candied fruits, marshmallows, softly acidic barnyard notes, grass, hay, lemon bread. The palate is gentle and complex. I think I have tried other Fantome beers that were more complex and bolder but I don’t think I have had a better beer from them. I love it. It is so tasty… freaking awesome!

Around medium in body, moderately low carbonation; the mouthfeel is nothing really special but it works somehow. It seems to allow the flavors to shine perfectly. Oh, while I’m thinking of it… where is the alcohol? This is 8%? Sure it is…

My word, this beer is easy to drink! Every time I had this beer I loved it, I am glad I finally sat down to write a review. Famtome is my favorite Belgian brewery and Chocolat is my favorite beer thus far. I adore it. Purchased in Omaha; highly recommended.

01-08-2007 14:36:45 | More by bditty187
rtepiak

Poland

4.58/5  rDev +22.1%

i had the intention of having this beer with thai food. in the end i ended up just sitting there and taking out half the bottle in about five minutes seeing as it was so refreshing.

pour was surprisingly plain looking seeing as i was expecting more chocolate in the note. it was actually on the bright orange yellow side with a pretty substantial amount of cloudiness. not nose was like that of a perfectly ripe grapefruit. a tad sweet a tad glassy bitter. the palate was that exactly with a nice sour funk and straw malty quality. the funk was like mild Gorgonzola with a hay backing... the sour was minimal and didn't embellish the bitter kicker. the bitter was bright to say the least. most hay like and dandelion greens. the cocoa was a mild sour bitter at the end. like that of baking chocolate. completely black chocolate and ever so subtle. the beer was a tad warm on the throat but nothing to over done. very delicate. this is on the way to become a really wonderful beer. i say this just because i feel the recipe has less chocolate in it now judging by the posted picture. less smokey twang. bottle was done in about 12 minutes. fantastic feel and carbonation. goes well with food... if you can keep it open long enough.

10-24-2010 06:46:11 | More by rtepiak
ppoitras

4.5/5  rDev +20%

750ml bottle purchased from Julio's, Marlboro, MA. Capped and corked.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 2 1/2" beige head over the slightly cloudy golden amber brew. Head lasts very nicely (was able to fold a batch of laundry while I waited for an opportunity to drink), with multitudes of sticky frothy lace. Aroma is sweet and spicy, not to mention potent, could smell it when I came back in the room. Taste starts with moderate sweetness, then goes dry light hoppiness, and closes with a evaporating spiciness. Mouthfeel is wow creamy and smooth, and drinkability is amazing. Have to get back to this one again.

05-25-2007 01:05:03 | More by ppoitras
gearzstang

Maryland

01-09-2012 05:56:38 | More by gearzstang
ccrida

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Poured from a 75cl bottle into a tulip glass, Chocolat is a hazy burnt straw, lots of streamers, with a 2 finger white head that slowly subsides to a thick skim leaving lots of bubbly lace. A little rocky and I'd give it a 5.

The aroma is classic fantome saison barnyard funk. Sweet soft grains, some clove and apple cider vinegar, and just a whiff of milk coco. Yum!

The taste is very reminicent of the regular Saison D’Erezée series, but with more subdued yeast and a touch of milk coco, and a very clean finish leaving the faint heat of chili.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy with soft carbonation.

This is very good, easy drinking and refreshing. Not a 5 because I'm not sure that heat wouldn't build up to much, and it goes for $14/ bottle! Still, I'd been wanting to try this for a couple of years, and now that I have, I will certainly seeking it out again.

05-30-2007 15:21:49 | More by ccrida
jakester

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

I bought this at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. No date on the bottle or label.

Pours a cloudy orangish/amber with an effervescent carbonation. A two finger head of just off-white foam forms on top, eventually falling to a nice coating and a ring. Great lacing. A thick brown goo of yeast rests on the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is funky, spicy, earthy, yeasty, and flowery, with notes of some spice I can't identify. Black pepper seems to be the main spicy smell. This really has a wonderful smell.

Flavor is, I swear, cocoa, which is not in the aroma. Also spices like black pepper, cinammon, and some odd spice which is delish. Very nice Belgian barnyard lurking not too far from the surface. Yeast comes through very well. This is a very tasty saison. Hop profile is very low, and the aftertaste is spicy and dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a high level of carbonation. Can't really detect hop bitterness. Finish is slightly dry and slightly chalky. Fantastic burps, and I mean really! Mouthfeel became more full bodied after I poured in the yeast.

This, to me, is one of the better saisons I've had. Good Belgian funk, different spiciness, and the chocolate works very well. A complex, very well made saison, in every respect.

01-13-2006 16:06:56 | More by jakester
timtim

District of Columbia

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

I'm a fan for sure. Another mind blower from fantome. Cocoa and chili are in the nose and finish for sure, but only an elegant touch's worth hangs out in nice balance with the staple fantome characteristics. Slightly lemony sour. Barnyard. Dew. Earth. Amazing. Had it with chocolate salami and rochefort 8 ice cream btw. Killer.

11-11-2009 03:44:59 | More by timtim
aerozeppl

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy brownish golden color. The darkest Fantome beer that I have had to date. Poured with a half finger of white head with just a touch of spotty lacing.

S: The nose is big and just rings out Fantome. Earthy. Funky. You get just a touch of heat from the chillis in the back.

T: The initial taste has a nice blast of tartness which I really did not see coming. You do get a touch of the cocoa powder. I usually hate peppers in beer but I would have liked a little bit more from this one.

M: Perfectly carbonated. Very light mouthfeel.

D: I love their beers. This is a bit different than other offerings but still enjoyable. Fantome beers are always worth seeking out.

03-21-2010 02:05:00 | More by aerozeppl
orbitalr0x

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours from the bottle a nice cloudy yellow orange color with a deep white head that lingers and leaves some spotchy lacing on the side of the glass. Quite nice. Aromas of funky, fruity yeastiness with hints of cocoa throughout. Stong spiciness with peppery notes. Red chili peppers come out in the nose...not strong but still noticeable in the background. Unique and quite enjoyable. Slight barnyard aromas...fresh and abundant.

First sip brings an intriguing mix of light malts accentuated by notes of cocoa, light fruits and chili. Barnyard notes throughout featuring earthy yeast. Red chili peppers make a subtle appearance mid palate and really add to the interesting complexity of this saison. Mellow cocoa and spice follow through the finish with fruity flavors throughout. A lovely brew here. Incredibly complex and satisfying....another winner from the masters at Fantome.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a good flow of carbonation. Goes down easy and tasty. I could easily enjoy a 750ml of this to myself no problem! An intriuging saison done as only Dany and the magic of Fantome can. I wish I could find this brew more often as it's damn enjoyable. Many thanks to Kevin for hooking me up with this one!! Well worth seeking out!

10-08-2005 05:11:23 | More by orbitalr0x
Ralphs66

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

This was a really interesting brew. The funk of the Saison was still quite present, but was definitely muted (and enhanced?!?) by the chocolate. The sweetness and flavor of the chocolate was not quite there on the first glass. Second glass....whoa! It looked like yoo hoo on that second pour and tasted like it, with, of course, that tang of a good farmhouse ale. I ended up finishing the bottle on my own, as everyone who I offered a taste wasn't in to it...well then, more for me...I'll be trying this one again.

06-20-2011 12:50:28 | More by Ralphs66
czfreeman

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

Love Fantome, have not had one in a long time. I picked this one up last week in Brussels on my Dad and I's beer tour, here we go.
Foam slowly rises in the neck of the bottle.
Pours a light coppery orange color. Very high carbonation, settles down into light wisp. A constant 1/2 finger head stays in the bottle.
Cocoa and chili powder in a beer, Saison at that, as a chef this very interesting.
Smells of spices wisp out, very spicy. Chili, pepper, bitter cocoa slowly emerges and begins to grow. Malt,biscuit, married with sour fruit, apple, barnyard, hay, the mixture of cocoa,barnyard, biscuit,grain, create a sweet-sour cocoa mix that is quite interesting and immensely unique.
The first sip blows my mind. Tart,sour lemon fermented pears give way to cinnamon, biscuit,cocoa, a sour beginning with a spiced cocoa finish. Red grape, black teas, smoke, tobacco, chilli powder, more hay. Immense, yet balanced.
Mouthfeel is medium, with sour/spiced/carbonation all balancing each other out in near-perfect balance. A slow buliding spice makes this beer interesting, as the heat makes you reach for the glass more and more frequently.
Spicy snacks and beautiful saison in one glass, once again a tip of the glass top Mr. Prignon

06-28-2011 20:33:11 | More by czfreeman
joe1510

750ml
$14.49
Binny's, Willowbrook

Fantôme's Chocolat is a farmhouse ale brewed with cocoa and chili pepper which means this should be just as interesting as all the other crazy creations coming out of Soy, Belgium. I can tell this saison has a haziness as I watch the stream steadily flow from the bottle. As it fills my tulip the body changes from deep golden to the color of a setting sun, bordering on both red and orange until the mesh beautifully. When backlit this sucker glows! The entire body is loaded with lively effervescence, tiny carbonation bubbles that crawl up the contours of the glass and explode from the bottom. Two fingers of perfectly white head sit atop before slowly falling to a thick cap. Sticky, although thin, intricate lacing coat the glass.

Wow! Each time I stick my beak in the glass I'm amazed at how uniquely delicious this beer smells. I'm hit at first by that one and only Fantome bit of funk. There's a little barnyard in here, damp hay, cobwebs, old dried out wood, damp cedar with a little semi clean horseblanket. All the noticeable funk tends to stay in the background while an amazing soft coca powder lightly coats everything else. If I take a deep enough pull I can convince myself there is some sort of chili powder in this brew along with a handful of other eccentric spices I can't begin to put my finger on.

Again, wow! This saison has really surprised me. I expected good but this is uniquely excellent. That mild funkiness that from the nose lays down a solid somewhat tart base. A few flashes of orchard fruits make their presence known but this is a beer dedicated to the cocoa bean. The cocoa in each mouthful is soft and earthy with very little chocolate character, which I like. A good amount of damp cedar comes through on the swallow. The other spices are mild and slide in here and there but never become overbearing. For an 8% saison this one is soft and melded together perfectly. I can't even begin to do this beer justice with my description.

While Chocolat doesn't quite have the top tier mouthfeel like other saisons it's not shabby in the least. I'm greeted with a light lively body that falls just short of airy carbonation but isn't far off. A lingering spiciness coats the tongue until the next drink.

This is out of this world easy to drink. The earthy cocoa does something magical to the underlying Fantome qualities I've come to love. Each drink leaves me wanting the next.

I'm surprised at just how good this saison is. Chocolat is a gem in an entire stable of gems. If you see this around pick it up and be ready for an experience. Delicious saison for the kickoff of Saison Sunday!

01-19-2009 03:17:32 | More by joe1510
Patrick999

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearance - like the other Fantome beers I've tried, this does not pour with a terribly robust head. Other than that, it pours a strong orange.

Smell - I get the spicy, peppery kick in the aroma right away, along with some good funk. I can't say that I smell any cocoa, though maybe part of the earthy funk is attributable to the cocoa and not entirely a Brett affair.

Taste, Feel - Well, I don't taste any chocolate directly, but I do get it in the aftertaste. There's some peppery taste along with some Brett sourness, the rotting orange taste I noted in the original Fantome. Second pour - OK, I poured the dregs in, and there was a lot of yeast and crap on the bottom. I typically like the second pour, but damn, that's one cloudy beer now. Really upped the funk in the nose, and I get a lttle more of the chocoate taste and all sorts of other odd semi-tastes. Carbonation is under control....this beer goes down easy.

This beer is actually very refreshing. I was kind of saving this for a cooler day, but I see now that there was no need. You could drink this on a 90 degree day as a quencher. Perhaps the most ridiculous 8% beer I've ever tasted...the alcohol is just not here. It isn't. None whatsoever! It's almost more drinkable than it should be, IMO. It tastes like a good wild ale. Nice and adventurous quaff. As long as you're not expecting some big chocolate bonanza, you should be OK. Really good beer, but maybe not the greatest chocolate beer in the world.

11-16-2007 23:00:36 | More by Patrick999
deapokid

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

The second of three Fantome reviews:

We've got a gusher! I don't know what it is about this beer, but both times I've had it, the bottle exploded like an f*ckin' volcano.

From this ranging sea of foam sprung a rich pumpkin color, loaded with heavy sediment, sticky lace and an endless amount of bubbles. It was quite the presentation.

Aroma was deep (almost malty) and spicy, backed by a cool burn provided by chipotle peppers. The bubbles are so active that I couldn't help but get some in my nose while I sniffed.

Flavorwise, it initially seems to mirror that of the Printemps (which I tried right beforehand), but they become quite different after multiple sips. This one does boast the pulp sourness, but also brings the sting of hot peppers on the backend, followed by a subtle milkiness that may be evidence of bitter chocolate. Tangerine and melon are also present and it's definitely delightful to enjoy such sweet flavors alongside an intense spice. Another showstopper!

Although this is definitely tangy, the mouth boasts a maltiness which balances out the sour and the fiery. It's also quite a rush to feel that kick of heat tickle the back of the tongue.

This is a true original, from the way it handles the chocolate (more an essence than a focus) to the South of the Border spicing to the Berliner Weiss-esque refreshingness. This brewery is definitely one of the most innovative on Planet Earth and this beer is another one of their masterpieces.

05-30-2010 19:35:51 | More by deapokid
CanuckRover

Ontario (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect from Chocolat, but this wasn't it!

An inviting light brown. Big head off the pour settles to a thin line. Substantial lacings to the finish.

Quite restrained aroma. Not as funky as Fantome's usually are. I get an interesting sweetness, but hard time pegging it down from smell alone.

Not knowing that this was a chocolate-chili mix, my first sip gave me the impression that this was a clever attempt by Fantome to recreate a chocolate flavour with a mix of spices (as opposed to actual chocolate and malt). It's just such a different aspect of chocolate than you see in most efforts, much more milk-chocolate truffle than dark bitter-sweet. Now BAs with far better palates than I say they couldn't find the chile, but I thought it came through loud and clear in the finish and then I realized what I was drinking. Not the chile flavour, but certainly the heat comes through in the end, just like you would get in a chocolate bar or truffle with chile in it.

As usual, a nice light saison character to the beer, manages to remain refreshing despite the unique ingredients.

Not my favourite Fantome product, but that doesn't mean much. Still a fantastic, unique brew.

05-23-2011 21:20:26 | More by CanuckRover
Billolick

4.38/5  rDev +16.8%

Large bottle corked and capped, w/o freshness dating. Pours cloudy, yeasty medium brown, with a tan silky, fluffy head, lots of crazy, stringy lacing. Nose is chocolaty with a hint of vanilla and some spice. Very smooth mouthfeel , lots of chocolate and gentle, subtle undernotes of chocolaty malts and perhaps a slight peppery chili note lingering on the palate long after the brew has gone down. Delicate, understated and tasty, more fine, interesting and intriguing suds from the Fantome folks, well worth a try.

03-28-2006 22:29:35 | More by Billolick
largadeer

4.38/5  rDev +16.8%

Thanks, Nick.

Pours a beautiful hazy blond with a large sustaining white head.

Bizarre aroma, signature Fantome; spicy, peppery and yeasty. There's a touch of sourness and funk, a little grain. I don't pick up any chocolate.

Tart and grainy, pale malt barely supports the intense yeast and spice flavors. Peppery, tart, lemony, there's a hint of chocolate and faint heat. Light-bodied, very refreshing and quaffable. Very good.

08-12-2010 07:43:52 | More by largadeer
OStrungT

4.35/5  rDev +16%

This beer pours a cloudy orange with a good amount of yeast sedimate. The white head is fluffy, thick, and it fades slowly, leaving thick laces.

This beer has a rather complex aroma. I detect spices most. It is peppery. I smell a yeasty, earthy aroma. Slight citrus aroma is present also. It is also mildly hoppy.

This beer has a slightly spicy, chili flavor. It has a citrusy flavor, lemony. I taste a slight chocolate flavor, but it is very subtle. It has a yeasty flavor also. I taste a very slight clove flavor. The alcohol content is well hidden in both the aroma and the flavor of this beer.

The chili pepper warms the mouth a little. This beer is well carbonated. It goes down smooth leaving an aftertaste sort of like eating mild chili.

This beer might be a decent session beer. It is a little high in alcohol, but the flavor is great. It is definately a unique beer. I am very happy to have tried it. Too bad it is a little pricey. Well worth it though.

01-13-2006 01:02:10 | More by OStrungT
NeroFiddled

4.35/5  rDev +16%

There's a light cocoa edge to this wonderful, easy drinking saison, but that's it. I was expecting a little bit darker color because of the name, but it's not that dark at all. It pours a hazy orange-amber body beneath a creamy head of off-white foam. The head retention is better than average, but it still dwindles to a thin cap; and, fortunately, it does leaves some very nice lace in its wake.

The nose is typical of the Fantome beers, although this one is, perhaps, a bit restrained. It's subtly tart and floral (with some lemon, wet-hay, and barnyard mud) over a mild maltiness. And there is a very mild suggestion of cocoa in there, but it's definitely not chocolatey.

Smooth and slick across the palate; it's medium bodied and delicately zesty before becoming a bit airy.

There's a mild note of chocolate to the flavor, but it appears more in the aftertaste than it does in the mouth. Otherwise, it's a pretty basic saison with some very approachable barnyard notes; a subtle spiciness; and some grassy hops. As you progress through the glass, the cocoa does build, however.

It's a really unique and creative saison, but could anything less be expected from the Brasserie Fantome? Unfortunately for beer cogniscenti, it's not quite as aggressive as their other beers. However, considering it does have a light chocolate component to it, a certain amount of subtlety is needed to make it work.

It's definitely worth trying, and it might just grow on you!

08-04-2005 00:12:04 | More by NeroFiddled
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.35/5  rDev +16%

Hazy dark golden, looks quite dark in the middle but the outside is more of a peach. The head plopped up a finger or two, even with an aggressive pour, and I thought the retention was okay. It got a little soapy after the first three or four sips. The lacing is very nice, though, tracks followed two fingers above sea level down the glass.

The aroma is not what I expected from this saison, as Fantome is usually throwing curveballs - and this is brewed with cocoa and chili powder. But it smells more or less like a saison, perhaps less horse-blanket and earth and slightly more funky and tart. There is some sweetish fruit, some spicing I assume is chili powder, and a citric sharpness to the tartiness.

The flavor comes harder with the lemon-cider tart right away, fairly dominating early on. Then more light fruit flavors come quickly and whisk away the acids, I catch some green tea. This bottle didn't display a full chocolate flavor, there was some slight dry bitterness in the finish, and the creamy mouthfeel resulted in a spicy afterflavor. For using two potentially deal-breaking ingredients, I thought this came out very balanced and subtle. There are a lot of complex interactions throughout, it's a really interesting take on the saison, and I love the suggestion of unsweetened wild yeast.

The carbonation is lightening without going overboard, it's keeps a big brew bouncing. Speaking of which, the 8% abv is delightfully well hidden. I notice that I'm going through this capped-and-corked 750 at a pretty good clip. It's refreshing, as a bitter burst at the end seems to whisk the aftertaste off the tongue.

Note: after swishing and pouring the sediment, I'm bumping up the appearance score. It looks almost lactic smooth, like an Irish cream with head. I feel like the cocoa flavors emerged a little bit, it might be the warming or the yeast..

After a good walk spoiled, I'll take this pick me up every time.

04-17-2007 04:20:11 | More by BretSikkink