Fantôme Chocolat - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme ChocolatFantôme Chocolat

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: yen157 on 01-16-2005

Having been in the market for a chocolate chile beer and being unable to find the couple I'd heard much about, I settled for this when I came across a bottle in Bella Vino's a while back. After letting it refrigerate properly for a day or two, I opened it up and drank it. And I must say that this by far the worst beer I've ever had. I cannot begin to describe quite how awful this was. Be it the smell (a mix a puke, industrial floor cleaner, and more puke) or the taste (a mix of watered down Jalapeno juicy, vomit, toilet water from a British pub, Pepto, grapefruit, and more vomit), it is hard to imagine a worse concoction could exist. Every last sip felt like I was being tortured. And this is coming from somebody who has no major objections to saisons, likes a wide range of Belgian brews, and was excited to try a chocolate chile beer. Unless you're an outright masochist, skip this $15 nausea-inducer. (912 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a hazy dark orange with massive off white head. Aroma is bandaids, a bit if spice, and lots of musty yeast. Flavor is acetone and bandaids. A bit of pepper heat. I assume this is not what it is supposed to taste like. It is official. I will never buy another Fantome. 2 for 2 with the disgusting bottles. Down the drain along with my $12...

Rerate on 11/2/14. Pours hazy orange with a big fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of spice, yeast funk, some light fruits, and still a bit of bandaids like last time but not nearly as harsh. Flavor is still rubber bandaids and spice. Nope. Nope nope. (613 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -47.3%

Thanks to that bad ass mother fucker Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!!

Look Murky orange in color with almost no head and was head there was didnt last long

Smell: The beer smelled of bready yeast and grass

Taste: A bit sour upfront with some vial notes to it kinda like throwing up and that left over acidity in your mouth yeah that is what this beer tasted like with just a hint of cocoa at the end and oh yeah where the fuck are the chili's????

Mouthfeel: Light and highly carbonated and a bit sour and tart

Overall: Honestly this is my first experience with fantome and it is just awful. (594 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -47%

Green 750ml bottle with cork shared by Patrick. Amber colour with a white ring of foam around the glass. Some brett on the nose but I was somewhat watery, I'm still searching the chocolate and the chili. Some oxidation is perceptible. The taste: watery and oxidized. An old bottle or a bottle that is going downhill. (316 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -44.1%

Thanks for sharing this one Richard. You've definitely stepped your game up on sharing crappy beers.

A: The pour is a nice amber color with an initially voluminous but soon thin off-white head.

S: Can you say skunked? Lots of skunk which I debated whether or not was just Fantome funk, and decided on nay. Slightly spiced and sweet.

T: Luckily, not as skunky on the palate. Earthy hops, some light lemon tartness, spices, and a really out of place sweetness, might be some milk chocolate.

M: The mouthfeel is probably the best thing about this beer. Light to medium in body with a lively and crisp carbonation.

D: Dear brewers, chocolate and Saisons do not go together (see: Fantome Chocolat and Bullfrog Magic Beans). This was not good. (742 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -40.2%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!
Pours Hazy peachy-copper color with a short white head very Low retention. And I got the dregs so mine was extra cloudy.

The nose is not the most pleasant. Brett. Sour pear. No chocolate or chili.

Flavor fallls short as well. No chocolate or chili characteristics which is very disappointing. Just bitter and sour fruit.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with Medium-High carbonation. Bitter.

Overall it was a big disappointment not just for me but for all of us in the bottleshare. None of the flavor characteristics shine through that it says it's made with like chocolate and chilis. I think they put the wrong label on the bottle?? Not a fan. (690 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottle

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Hazy golden orange with a very thin off-white head. This beer leaves tiny spots of lacing down the glass, though there isn't much there.

Grass, hay, a strong funk, and some white fruit combine. If I try really hard, I can convince myself there's a hint of bitter chocolate in the nose, but that may just be my imagination. There's a strong vomit aroma that I can't get past.

Funky yeast, bread, grass, and an unpleasant sour acidity make up this beer's flavor. Again, there might be just a hint of bitter, old chocolate on the finish, but it's certainly faint if it's there at all. Unfortunately, vomit flavors dominate.

Thin to medium bodied with low carbonation.

This was one of the most disappointing beers I've had to date. After enjoying every Fantome iteration before this one, I got giddy when I saw this bottle in the store. What an absolute letdown. (902 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a Blue Point Snifter

A: Poured a 2 finger coarse white head the dissipated quickly and left little lacing. Brew was a dark almost reddish pink.

S: Skunky with a touch of sour fruit and yeast.

T: Skunky, earthy and sour throughout and ended the same but with a slight touch of hops. Left little to no aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied, coarse, and very carbonated. Finish was crisp and quick.

D: I wouldn't have this again. Maybe because I don't like the Saison style but if I wanted a tasty brew, I'd go with Southhampton's Saison. Really not impressed. (599 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -33.4%

I am drinking a 750 mL bottle purchased today from a Devil's Milk snifter. The ale is at room temperature.

Appearance: Deep orange in color, this ale is hazy with fine yeast sediment suspended therein. The ale pours with a decent head of one finger's length. The ale retains its head nicely and leaves a pleasant looking lace.

Smell: The ale has a yeasty, natural smell that I expect from a saison. The label advertises cocoa and chili pepper, neither of which I can detect.

Taste: The ale has the gamey taste of a saison but that yeasty flavor that one expects from a saison is cut short. The natural flavor gives way to a very light chocolate taste that does not last long. Portions of the yeasty taste linger and fade into a sensation of heat that tells me the chili peppers really are there.

Mouthfeel: The ale sits on the tongue without any spectacular or negative happenings.

Drinkability: Outside of the novelty of a chocolate and chili pepper saison, there is not a great deal here to enjoy. Stick to Fantome's other offerings. Not recommended. (1,067 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -30%

This pours out as a muddy looking brown color with a ton of sediment in there. The head came and went. The smell was a little bit like a farmhouse ale but had some other funky stuff going on in there too. The taste was earthy and kind of bland. I'm not sure why but this beer just doesn't really set off many alarms for me on the taste and smell. The mouthfeel is a bit watery without much carbonation. Perhaps this was a bad bottle but overall I found this to be a very boring brew. I'd try it again if it was from somewhere where it's going to be fresh. (555 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -27.9%

A-Clear gold with a medium white head that mostly diminished leaving minimal lacing.

S-Sweet, with a bit of sourness, fruity, and some spicy notes.

T-A bit of hops and spiciness but WHERE the hell is the chocolate? The reason for my 2...this beer is called Chocolat and I as hard as I try I do not detect any.

M-Light body. Carbonation was spirited making for a tingly mouthfeel.

D-For a straight up saision this beer is fine but I was hoping for so much more....maybe use real chocolate instead of cocoa podwer? WTF? Chocolat....where? (541 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Gorgeous hazy pear with particles that hardly settle, a thin sheen of a white head that almost seems like an afterthought of the haze (the gradient of color from the top to bottom is perfect), and some brown yeast floaters inside.

S: Strong, almost cloying, sweaty and sticky apple flavor.

T: Astringent and grassy hops followed by a strange, sour, funky citrus bite. I can't taste either the cacao powder or chili powder that well, but I can certainly feel it in the heartburn later.

M: Medium bodied with decent carbonation and juiciness.

D: I honestly wish I could rate this one better (as you can see, the ratings for the categories are all over the place); the appearance made me expect a fantastic beer, but the taste and smell just didn't really cut it, especially for a Belgian brew. I'm still convinced that cacao and chili can't work in anything except a heavy porter or stout. (897 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -24.5%

750 ml bottl into my Rochefort glass. I really like to be constructive in my reviews, but I'll just start out by saying this beer is no good and needs to be avoided...Pours an ugly light watery looking honey gold, two fingers of head, ok retention and lacing...The aroma has cocoa powderon the front, lots of floral hops light. There is a chili pepeer finish that is really generic and comes acros really bad giving it a stale skunky aroma...The taste is really bad, it loses all the chocolate and is just a really weird musky, stale, chili. Sour in the worst ways, with heat in the middle.

A combination that should not be tried in a saison, stay away from this. (664 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice.

A: This bottle erupted in foam, then the chalice I poured it into is full of foam, then the bottle foamed over again. The 'head' is three fingers large, and fades slowly. Huge, sticky lacing.

S: Skunky as all get-out. Hint of spice, hint of tang, faintly unpleasant. Lemon zest.

T: Interesting....Lemon zest was spot on, as this is a tart, acidic beer. I wonder how much, if any, is attributable to spoilage. Actual taste is pleasant though, with lemon, light pepper (jalapeno?), and very little chocolate, other than perhaps a lightly chalky bitterness.

M: Dry, sparse, lightly carbonated, and generally barebones.

O: Is it good? Kinda? I think my bottle is atypical, but this can't even approach the level of (772 characters)

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep hazy orange with a bit of a white head. Thick collar.

Smell - A little acidic. Chocolate. A bit of pepper. Smoked aroma. Very odd.

Taste - Kinda tart. Burnt, smoky flavor. Citrus. Light pepper. Caramel malt.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation. Medium body.

Overall - What a strange beer. Not a very pleasant one, either. (378 characters)

Originally reviewed March 31, 2007. Pizza Port Belgian Beer Fest. Pour from a 750mL. Subdued light mushroom malt aroma. Yeast amber cloud, with rim of white. Flavor is a weak dry nut roast on a plain wheat husky. Very flat favor-profile with some lazy hops and an over-rubbered ester amongst bean salts. Not interesting and a big let down. Chocolate not to be found except for some extant milk notes. Middle of the road really, even as Goldings looks to make some balance. Blah. (478 characters)

Appearence: Pours a glowing light red with a nice bleach white head. Little carbonation.

Smell: Has the normal Fantome smells, hay and grass and farmhouse, but no Chocolate.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Chocolate? Where? It tastes basically like regular Fantome, with the tiniest roasted nuts and cocae flavors, but mostly sweet and bubbly saison. I feel let down. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonated.

Drinkability and Overall: It's fine as a saison, but chocolate, I don't think so. It just has a very small cocoa flavor, that's it. I feel mislead, because if it didn't claim to be a saison with chocolate, it'd be much better. Oh well you win some, you lose some... (678 characters)

A - Gold brown opaque body, white small head. Many, many floaties visible.
S - Sweet barnyard aromas, and, surprisingly, no chocoate.
T - Light chocolate flavor underlying the fine maltiness. Low bitterness, no sweetness. Banana peel and smoke.
M - Small amounts of carbonation and medium body.
D - Not much of the harder to drink flavors typically found in Fantome brews. For a Fantome, this has to have a 5 for drinkability. (430 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Had a bottle of this at the River Street Ale House. For a beer labeled a chocolate, it had zero taste of chocolate. I could taste the jalepenos more than the chocolate. The appearance was a murky brown with a slight malty smell. The taste was surprisingly mellow for a beer made with chocolate and jalepenos.

I liked this a lot. And I am certain that each bottle has a different taste but I look forward to the next Fantome Chocolat. (437 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

9/17/2005 $10.99 750 mL 8.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy orange, speckled by fervent carbonation that leads to a thin, yet persistent foamy head.

Aroma:

Brewed with chocolate and chili peppers, the cocoa comes through a bit, but the pepper is not detectable. Other aromas are difficult to describe, but somehow earthy and muted.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Oddly bitter, as are most of the saisons I've tried. Mouthfeel is smooth, though somewhat unpleasant due to the bitterness. A faint tinge of cocoa appears towards midsip, but it is drowning in the odd, mouth drying bitterness. Perhaps this just isn't my style, as I don't think I've enjoyed that many saisons, and at $11/bottle, this one is overpriced. (734 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Chocolat pours a light bodied dark and cloudy orange in color with a billowing three finger, bright white head. The nose features aromas of lemon rhind, green pepper, herbal spice, earthy must, Lemongrass, and Belgian yeast. Despite all of the adjectives I wouldn't say it's very complex, like Fantomes other beers. There isn't any chocolate or chile to be found. I expected at least the chocolate to be somewhat present. The flavors are dry and musty. The lemon rhind and grass are the two most dominant flavors. It certainly does have an herbal, leafy, tea like aspect as well. There is also moderate bitterness. It certainly doesn't drink as smoothly as the other Fantomes that I've tried and has a bit more carbonation. Overall this was a strange beer. Blind, I probably would've pegged it as a Fantome but for the name of the beer and description on the side it was disappointing. It wasn't as complex or unique as their other offerings in my opinion. (956 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Had at Ebenezer's in Lovell, ME.

A: Hazy (unfiltered) golden in color with a finger thick white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Has a major yeast smell to it with a bit of citrus hops as well.

T: Taste is very sour and has the serious yeast flavor to it, as expected by the scent.

M: Medium bodied with above average carbonation.

D: Saison is not my favorite style and this was not my favorite Saison. It has a very sour taste to it which just wasn't for me. (464 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Muddied dark amber/copper appearance. Thick crop of airy beige head. The retention properties are great. And the lace comes in full sheets. Aroma is earthy and musty. Just a titch of spice and chocolate. A little lemon and some yeastiness. Flavor is pretty low key. Sure it's got some of that saison like yeastiness. Sure it's got some lemon. Definitely some pepper. Cocoa flavors are non-existent. But everything comes together in just a "blah" kind of way for me. The mouthfeel is light and airy. I think this is easily my lowest rated Fantome beer. It's fine and all. Just not up to their (or my) standards of a good/great beer. (631 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%

Appearance: Amber copper, not much head, just a tiny bit of ring, and some fish food sediment.

Smell: Not much cocoa here, but plenty of pink pepper, piment d'espelette, stale coffee, and wet socks!

Taste: A little dissapointing, the body was lighter than most other fantômes I've sampled, I'd even say it was a bit watery and bland. Another one saved by the smell! (372 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Got this one a while back, it's gotta be at least two years old.

750 ml. bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a clear light golden hue with fluffy three finger white head that crawls down the sides of the glass leaving a creamy wall of stick. Aromas consists of spice, honey, and some dirt. A touch of citrus and light grass in the nose as well, pretty typical saison to me. Ok, taste begins with much of the same flavors I detected in the aroma. Sweet honey, spice and tingle, with some freshly cut grass flavors as well. Unfortunately midway the flavors turn into a skunky mess, almost like an adjunct macro-lager with some pepper. Light and stinging body with strong carbonation, a bit too strong actually. The feel needs to be toned down a bit, but ok overall. Nothing too special with this beer. Not sure if I sat on this too long, but at 8% I would think it'd hold up fairly well. One and done for me, glad I tried it but I won't be looking for this again anytime soon. (974 characters)

Fantôme Chocolat from Brasserie Fantôme