Fantôme Chocolat - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme ChocolatFantôme Chocolat

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: yen157 on 01-16-2005)

jlb502, Nov 27, 2011

Having been in the market for a chocolate chile beer and being unable to find the couple I'd heard much about, I settled for this when I came across a bottle in Bella Vino's a while back. After letting it refrigerate properly for a day or two, I opened it up and drank it. And I must say that this by far the worst beer I've ever had. I cannot begin to describe quite how awful this was. Be it the smell (a mix a puke, industrial floor cleaner, and more puke) or the taste (a mix of watered down Jalapeno juicy, vomit, toilet water from a British pub, Pepto, grapefruit, and more vomit), it is hard to imagine a worse concoction could exist. Every last sip felt like I was being tortured. And this is coming from somebody who has no major objections to saisons, likes a wide range of Belgian brews, and was excited to try a chocolate chile beer. Unless you're an outright masochist, skip this $15 nausea-inducer.

beerindex, Apr 25, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -56%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a hazy dark orange with massive off white head. Aroma is bandaids, a bit if spice, and lots of musty yeast. Flavor is acetone and bandaids. A bit of pepper heat. I assume this is not what it is supposed to taste like. It is official. I will never buy another Fantome. 2 for 2 with the disgusting bottles. Down the drain along with my $12...

BMMillsy, Aug 09, 2013
1.98/5  rDev -47.2%

Thanks to that bad ass mother fucker Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!!

Look Murky orange in color with almost no head and was head there was didnt last long

Smell: The beer smelled of bready yeast and grass

Taste: A bit sour upfront with some vial notes to it kinda like throwing up and that left over acidity in your mouth yeah that is what this beer tasted like with just a hint of cocoa at the end and oh yeah where the fuck are the chili's????

Mouthfeel: Light and highly carbonated and a bit sour and tart

Overall: Honestly this is my first experience with fantome and it is just awful.

DarthKostrizer, Oct 19, 2011

Anatole, Dec 22, 2013

ajtorres311, Jul 15, 2013

RobertColianni, Feb 25, 2013

Chingringo, Aug 26, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -45.9%

Green 750ml bottle with cork shared by Patrick. Amber colour with a white ring of foam around the glass. Some brett on the nose but I was somewhat watery, I'm still searching the chocolate and the chili. Some oxidation is perceptible. The taste: watery and oxidized. An old bottle or a bottle that is going downhill.

rodenbach99, Jan 29, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -43.2%

Thanks for sharing this one Richard. You've definitely stepped your game up on sharing crappy beers.

A: The pour is a nice amber color with an initially voluminous but soon thin off-white head.

S: Can you say skunked? Lots of skunk which I debated whether or not was just Fantome funk, and decided on nay. Slightly spiced and sweet.

T: Luckily, not as skunky on the palate. Earthy hops, some light lemon tartness, spices, and a really out of place sweetness, might be some milk chocolate.

M: The mouthfeel is probably the best thing about this beer. Light to medium in body with a lively and crisp carbonation.

D: Dear brewers, chocolate and Saisons do not go together (see: Fantome Chocolat and Bullfrog Magic Beans). This was not good.

womencantsail, Aug 12, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -40%

TheRuss9585, Jun 10, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -39.2%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!
Pours Hazy peachy-copper color with a short white head very Low retention. And I got the dregs so mine was extra cloudy.

The nose is not the most pleasant. Brett. Sour pear. No chocolate or chili.

Flavor fallls short as well. No chocolate or chili characteristics which is very disappointing. Just bitter and sour fruit.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with Medium-High carbonation. Bitter.

Overall it was a big disappointment not just for me but for all of us in the bottleshare. None of the flavor characteristics shine through that it says it's made with like chocolate and chilis. I think they put the wrong label on the bottle?? Not a fan.

MrVonzipper, Oct 16, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottle

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Hazy golden orange with a very thin off-white head. This beer leaves tiny spots of lacing down the glass, though there isn't much there.

Grass, hay, a strong funk, and some white fruit combine. If I try really hard, I can convince myself there's a hint of bitter chocolate in the nose, but that may just be my imagination. There's a strong vomit aroma that I can't get past.

Funky yeast, bread, grass, and an unpleasant sour acidity make up this beer's flavor. Again, there might be just a hint of bitter, old chocolate on the finish, but it's certainly faint if it's there at all. Unfortunately, vomit flavors dominate.

Thin to medium bodied with low carbonation.

This was one of the most disappointing beers I've had to date. After enjoying every Fantome iteration before this one, I got giddy when I saw this bottle in the store. What an absolute letdown.

ehammond1, Oct 19, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

ant880, Jan 12, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a Blue Point Snifter

A: Poured a 2 finger coarse white head the dissipated quickly and left little lacing. Brew was a dark almost reddish pink.

S: Skunky with a touch of sour fruit and yeast.

T: Skunky, earthy and sour throughout and ended the same but with a slight touch of hops. Left little to no aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied, coarse, and very carbonated. Finish was crisp and quick.

D: I wouldn't have this again. Maybe because I don't like the Saison style but if I wanted a tasty brew, I'd go with Southhampton's Saison. Really not impressed.

SpeedwayJim, Sep 20, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -32.5%

I am drinking a 750 mL bottle purchased today from a Devil's Milk snifter. The ale is at room temperature.

Appearance: Deep orange in color, this ale is hazy with fine yeast sediment suspended therein. The ale pours with a decent head of one finger's length. The ale retains its head nicely and leaves a pleasant looking lace.

Smell: The ale has a yeasty, natural smell that I expect from a saison. The label advertises cocoa and chili pepper, neither of which I can detect.

Taste: The ale has the gamey taste of a saison but that yeasty flavor that one expects from a saison is cut short. The natural flavor gives way to a very light chocolate taste that does not last long. Portions of the yeasty taste linger and fade into a sensation of heat that tells me the chili peppers really are there.

Mouthfeel: The ale sits on the tongue without any spectacular or negative happenings.

Drinkability: Outside of the novelty of a chocolate and chili pepper saison, there is not a great deal here to enjoy. Stick to Fantome's other offerings. Not recommended.

akorsak, Dec 31, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

This pours out as a muddy looking brown color with a ton of sediment in there. The head came and went. The smell was a little bit like a farmhouse ale but had some other funky stuff going on in there too. The taste was earthy and kind of bland. I'm not sure why but this beer just doesn't really set off many alarms for me on the taste and smell. The mouthfeel is a bit watery without much carbonation. Perhaps this was a bad bottle but overall I found this to be a very boring brew. I'd try it again if it was from somewhere where it's going to be fresh.

Knapp85, Jun 01, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -28%

A-Clear gold with a medium white head that mostly diminished leaving minimal lacing.

S-Sweet, with a bit of sourness, fruity, and some spicy notes.

T-A bit of hops and spiciness but WHERE the hell is the chocolate? The reason for my 2...this beer is called Chocolat and I as hard as I try I do not detect any.

M-Light body. Carbonation was spirited making for a tingly mouthfeel.

D-For a straight up saision this beer is fine but I was hoping for so much more....maybe use real chocolate instead of cocoa podwer? WTF? Chocolat....where?

Deuane, Mar 03, 2008

acurtis, Jun 15, 2013

ddedhed, Jul 20, 2014

jmtpi, Aug 25, 2012

BeerMeBrah, Sep 09, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -25.3%

A: Gorgeous hazy pear with particles that hardly settle, a thin sheen of a white head that almost seems like an afterthought of the haze (the gradient of color from the top to bottom is perfect), and some brown yeast floaters inside.

S: Strong, almost cloying, sweaty and sticky apple flavor.

T: Astringent and grassy hops followed by a strange, sour, funky citrus bite. I can't taste either the cacao powder or chili powder that well, but I can certainly feel it in the heartburn later.

M: Medium bodied with decent carbonation and juiciness.

D: I honestly wish I could rate this one better (as you can see, the ratings for the categories are all over the place); the appearance made me expect a fantastic beer, but the taste and smell just didn't really cut it, especially for a Belgian brew. I'm still convinced that cacao and chili can't work in anything except a heavy porter or stout.

thekanna, Nov 12, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -24%

750 ml bottl into my Rochefort glass. I really like to be constructive in my reviews, but I'll just start out by saying this beer is no good and needs to be avoided...Pours an ugly light watery looking honey gold, two fingers of head, ok retention and lacing...The aroma has cocoa powderon the front, lots of floral hops light. There is a chili pepeer finish that is really generic and comes acros really bad giving it a stale skunky aroma...The taste is really bad, it loses all the chocolate and is just a really weird musky, stale, chili. Sour in the worst ways, with heat in the middle.

A combination that should not be tried in a saison, stay away from this.

jrallen34, Sep 04, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearence: Pours a glowing light red with a nice bleach white head. Little carbonation.

Smell: Has the normal Fantome smells, hay and grass and farmhouse, but no Chocolate.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Chocolate? Where? It tastes basically like regular Fantome, with the tiniest roasted nuts and cocae flavors, but mostly sweet and bubbly saison. I feel let down. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonated.

Drinkability and Overall: It's fine as a saison, but chocolate, I don't think so. It just has a very small cocoa flavor, that's it. I feel mislead, because if it didn't claim to be a saison with chocolate, it'd be much better. Oh well you win some, you lose some...

santoslhalper, Jul 24, 2005