Fantôme Chocolat - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: yen157 on 01-16-2005

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%

750 capped and corked courtesy of bobsy - thanks for the nice evening pal!

Bobsy fails to warn me that this could quite possibly be a gusher and as so it spills over the table before it makes its way into the glass, a hazy golden straw color with plenty of foamy head.

Smell has an immensely pleasing wet hay funk wafting off of it with a hint of the grains and touch of spice.

Taste is a bit of a let down. Almost none of that funk passes through and it is a little on the thin side. A touch of grain, a bready malt, a squeeze of lemon and pear, a dash of spices but without the pleasant drying bite I would desire, pretty thin in the mouth, spot on carbonation though, not a bit of chocolate to speak of, perhaps a touch of anise in there though. Kind of an odd duck and not what I would initially reach for when I want a saison.

Thanks for bringing this one Rob! (870 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

A big old gusher like the last Fantome I had. I picked this bottle up at Consumers in Buffalo and shared it with ritzkiss.

Pours a hazy orange with a big, fluffy white head that exhibited great retention and laid down some nice streaks of lace. Fruity aroma is rich in pear and berries, with a strong yeast component and a hint of funk. It certainly comes across as sweet and spicy. There's also a strong wet hay element in play.

Quite fruity upfront with a strong raisin and pear profile, which dissolves into the wet hay and bready malts before culminating in a lightly spicy, dry finish. Any notion of chocolate in this beer is indeed a phantom until you get to the dregs of the bottle, which appear to hold the remains of cocoa husks. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a full, pillowy carbonation which bulks things up slightly.

This is a nice saison, but an inadequate chocolate beer, and it seems strange to highlight that flavour in the title of your offering and then push it so lightly that its imperceptible. Good, but not as interesting as I hoped for. (1,068 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Pours a cloudy yellowish-orange color with an inch of bright white head. Carbonation is definitely present.

S - Earthy aroma with hints of grass and bread. Yeast profile was also quite noticeable.

T - Much like the aroma with an earthy taste and yeast that was mildly funky. Also caught some hints of pepper but no chocolate.

M - Carbonation was spot on and had a pleasant mouthfeel.

D - Highly drinkable and overall a very good beer, just not what I expect from the name Chocolat. (490 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

I'm a fan for sure. Another mind blower from fantome. Cocoa and chili are in the nose and finish for sure, but only an elegant touch's worth hangs out in nice balance with the staple fantome characteristics. Slightly lemony sour. Barnyard. Dew. Earth. Amazing. Had it with chocolate salami and rochefort 8 ice cream btw. Killer. (328 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks to FooFaa for sharing this 750ml bottle on 10/18/09.

A - Poured a cloudy yet quite effervescent orangey/cider-esque body with a thin, bubbly off-white head.

S - A hint of pepper, mild sourness and barnyard notes reminiscent of wet hay comprise the initial aroma. However, Mr. Chocolate appears to be incognito. So I guess the Fantome moniker that preceeds the name of this brew is quite fitting, eh?

T - The name of this beer is certainly quite deceiving. There is nothing about this brew that even remotely resembles chocolate. Some musty, earthy notes appear in the middle and last through to the backend. Finishes with a hint of peppery spice and mild heat.

M - Light bodied with bubbly carbonation and a hint of sourness on the palate. Finishes with a slight peppery sting on the tip of the tongue.

D - Overall, I found this to be a fairly average saison with a rather peculiar name. The spicy and sour notes are much more prominent than any other flavors that come out in this brew, which makes me wonder why Fantome didn't name this beer Sweet & Sour rather than Chocolat.

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"Smells like liquid skunk." (1,149 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a Blue Point Snifter

A: Poured a 2 finger coarse white head the dissipated quickly and left little lacing. Brew was a dark almost reddish pink.

S: Skunky with a touch of sour fruit and yeast.

T: Skunky, earthy and sour throughout and ended the same but with a slight touch of hops. Left little to no aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied, coarse, and very carbonated. Finish was crisp and quick.

D: I wouldn't have this again. Maybe because I don't like the Saison style but if I wanted a tasty brew, I'd go with Southhampton's Saison. Really not impressed. (599 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

Aye Carumba! Pours a cloudy dark amber with no head but a bit of lacing. Smell is yeast and a bit of chili. Kind of spicy and sour.

Taste is sour, chili after taste. I think this is infected, but it's actually kinda good. Sour and sharp with a good yeasty saison flavor. Very tasty. (320 characters)

750 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. No clear bottling date.

A - Hazy copper body with thick, resilient head formation.

S - Dark peaches, apple peel, fruity chocolate, and horse blanket funk. The nose is very beguiling and difficult to describe, while still enchanting and exciting.

T - The floral, citrusy hop bitterness meets the fruity funk for a very dynamic flavor profile. There is a pleasing juicy fruit (literal, not the gum) element to the dry profile, with lots of apple, plum, red pear, and apricot flavors. The finish is where the spices step up most prominently - I get subtle black pepper, coriander, and sage notes.

M - Big, bubbly carbonation levels accent the crisp, dry mouthfeel. This brew feels very light-bodied, despite the deep complexity of flavors. I can almost feel a very subtle taste of cocoa after swallowing, but that could very well be in my head.

D - Yet another balanced, enjoyable brew from the mysterious Fantome brewery. I had some difficulty picking up on the cocoa or chili pepper - to me, this was just a darker saison. I'll put it this way: if it didn't say "Chocolat" on the label, then I would have never thought about cocoa while drinking this brew. It was less bitter and more fruity than I expected it to be. But, that being said, this beer is delicious in its own right. I had pork carnitas with avocado, jicama, and lime for brunch this morning, and I can't even begin to imagine how well this brew would have paired with that dish. (1,512 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Got this one a while back, it's gotta be at least two years old.

750 ml. bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a clear light golden hue with fluffy three finger white head that crawls down the sides of the glass leaving a creamy wall of stick. Aromas consists of spice, honey, and some dirt. A touch of citrus and light grass in the nose as well, pretty typical saison to me. Ok, taste begins with much of the same flavors I detected in the aroma. Sweet honey, spice and tingle, with some freshly cut grass flavors as well. Unfortunately midway the flavors turn into a skunky mess, almost like an adjunct macro-lager with some pepper. Light and stinging body with strong carbonation, a bit too strong actually. The feel needs to be toned down a bit, but ok overall. Nothing too special with this beer. Not sure if I sat on this too long, but at 8% I would think it'd hold up fairly well. One and done for me, glad I tried it but I won't be looking for this again anytime soon. (974 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%

Review being written from notes as I drank this one a few weeks ago now. Split a bomber of this with my good friend Jon Passow (iamaguitargod), who has already posted his review below. Anyways, I poured this into my tulip glass. Poured a cloudy amber brown, apple cider like color. White head is well over an inch thick when poured. Settles to a very nice solid 1/3 inch with excellent retention. Not much lace. Not much aroma either, a bit of a funky smell. Has a sweet yet sour flavor, followed with bit of peppers and actually a tiny heat bite. Didn't detect any chocolate at all here. Has a dry aftertaste, very dry for this style I thought. Has a crisp, frothy full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. easy to drink in a good way. Not bad, but the title of this beer is quite misleading indeed.

Eric (814 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a large, thick, foamy head atop a brownish/yellowish body. Very cloudy, almost like dishwater (which is not as bad as it sounds). The head dies very quickly and barely reemerges upon agitation.

Aromas of dirt and grass, with a little spiciness from the chili peppers. The overall smell is typical Saison, so no surprises here.

Flavors are dirty, sour, and slightly hoppy. It's pretty good in the beginning, if not interesting, but then it goes south in intensity. The mouthfeel is thinner, almost un-substantive.

There should be more here (e.g., chocolate, cocoa, chili, etc.), but I think Fantome became overly ambitious with Chocolat and didn't create a more refined product. It's not terrible, but compared with its other offerings such as the original, the Hiver, and the Printemps, this is satisfactory at best. (828 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

750 ml bottle split with my wife. Poured into a tulip glass.

a: amber with a foamy bubbly head with ok retention. The head was about 1" high. Reduces to lacing

s: slightly sour smell, mixed with ever so slight citrus.

t: fairly complex beer, surprisingly the most dominated flavor is citrus. There is a light note of pepper... which in my mind almost acts like the bittering substance. Not much cocoa, slightly disapointing.

m&d: light bodied, easy to drink as the achohol is hidden nicely.

Cheers!!! (506 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%

I notice they've added a small description to the front of their labels which is great because that was one thing I felt would improve their marketability. Pours to an amber brown color with great head and head retention with not much lacing (enjoyed this with fellow beer advocate neenerzig).

There's a sweet/sourness that hits very briefly then the flavor of the peppers come in. Being the pepper expect that I am, I am going to say that they used Cayenne peppers. The bite is almost identical to Cayennes. Not really hot but it does have a little bite. I barely (and use the word "barely" is stretching it) tasted the cocoa on the back end. For having cocoa so predominantly featured on the label, this falls very, very short. Dry after taste. This is a good session beer but not what's advertised.

~Jonathan Passow (820 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

A- Pours an amber-brown with hints of gold at the edges. The head cascades with fairly large bubbles to an off-white peak and quickly falls to a ring around the edge of the glass.

S- The first things to hit the nose are a strange funky brett smell with a slightly sour aroma. Hints of citrus, lemon, and grape come through. Way in the background, a faint hint of raw cacao can be detected.

T- Funky with a mild peppery taste. Slightly tart and mildly vinuous. It tastes slightly oxidized.

M- Bright and effervescent with a light body.

D- Goes down fairly smooth. Overall, it's alright, but not as good as fantome's other offerings andd not at all what I was expecting. (673 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Another gem from Belgium that I was finally lucky enough to get a hold of. I broke this one out for Cake the other night. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 05/09/2009.

The pour was not what I was expecting but still very good. I think I had it in my head that this was going to be a Belgian style stout, which it was clearly not. Nice orange, light brown colored pour here with a small head on top that was maybe a quarter of an inch before settling back down into essentially nothing. Tart aroma here, sour apples coming through very clearly. Hints of maybe some light cocoa, not much though and I am nit sure where the chili peppers that were advertised should have been coming from. Smooth, light body here with a sour, apple vinegar like flavor from start to finish. Mellow chocolate notes were way hidden in the back and the overall feel of this was that of a classic sour ale. Smooth, and very drinkable.

Overall not bad, but not at all what it was advertised at or what I was expecting. Would I try it again, sure, would I pay for it again, no. (1,094 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to Joey for bringing this one to La Bella on another Tuesday night (4/28/09).

Ok, this was a sneaky bastard. Joey took off the cap and popped out the cork and we stared at the neck of the bottle which was slowly filling with bubbles. The second we took our eyes off the bottle the thing started foaming and shooting like a geyser. We quickly poured into a glass and the beer was a milky, cloudy, and muddy brown hue with about a quarter inch of foam.

Light cocoa, chalky, and typical fantôme funkiness, hints of lemon, and lightly roasted chili peppers. Grass, white pepper, a bit of oregano, a touch of orange. Very complex and seemed to get even better as it warmed up in this department.

Some lemon tartness at first with lightly toasted malts, some cocoa, metallic, and herbal in the finish. Phenolic in the second half with some plastic funk.

Medium-high carbonation that stung the tongue at first, very effervescent which didn't help the beer too much in my opinion.

Another weird Fantôme beer...still not completely sold on these beers but this one was very interesting. (1,091 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -13.3%

This is my first time reviewing a beer, so I'll do my best.

I picked this one up at Vendome in North Hollywood

A: Pours a cloudy orange-brown with little head. From the appearance it looks like a complex beer.

S: Lemon, grass, sour notes. I get neither cocoa or chili.

T: Sour throughout, pepper, spices, citrus. Alcohol is well hidden. Still no chocolate or chili.

M: Light/Medium body with noticeable carbonation. Actually kind of boring.

D: Easy to drink and like I said the alcohol is well concealed. Just not very tasty so it's not like I want to keep drinking.

I was really looking forward to this one. Overall this one was a disappointment. I couldn't detect any of the chocolate that was advertised. This one was actually very unique, unfortunately it was still pretty boring. (791 characters)

Having been in the market for a chocolate chile beer and being unable to find the couple I'd heard much about, I settled for this when I came across a bottle in Bella Vino's a while back. After letting it refrigerate properly for a day or two, I opened it up and drank it. And I must say that this by far the worst beer I've ever had. I cannot begin to describe quite how awful this was. Be it the smell (a mix a puke, industrial floor cleaner, and more puke) or the taste (a mix of watered down Jalapeno juicy, vomit, toilet water from a British pub, Pepto, grapefruit, and more vomit), it is hard to imagine a worse concoction could exist. Every last sip felt like I was being tortured. And this is coming from somebody who has no major objections to saisons, likes a wide range of Belgian brews, and was excited to try a chocolate chile beer. Unless you're an outright masochist, skip this $15 nausea-inducer. (912 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Pours a light chestnut brown with a fizzy tan head. This dissipates quickly, but is easily refreshed to a couple of fingers worth. A few bubbles of carbonation. Very nice.

S - Large smack of solvent and barnyard. Honey, apple, grass. Unable to find any chocolate.

T - Bit of a let down overall. Peppery start, then green apple running through the middle. Finish is nicely astringent, with a citrus/grassy tang. Aftertaste lingers pleasantly. Absolutely no sign of the 8% ABV.

M - Very light body and carbonation that is too soft. Probably the weakest link here.

D - Would be hugely drinkable if it was more interesting. Not the best effort of a brewery I hold in high regard. (683 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

A: poured from a large bottle into a pint glass. Clear yellow-orange with a big head.

S: yeast, citrus, farmhouse, grapefruit. Much less funk than I'd expected from a specialty saisson.

T: quite sour, but not tart like a Flemish. Interesting spices but I found them muted in relation and not that appetizing.

M: uninspiring

D: easy to drink, interesting craft, just not my favorite. I'll take a straight up saisson any day. (429 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

1pt. 9.4 fl. oz. corked and capped bottle served in my DT tulip. Cork read Brasserie Fantome Soy 086/477044. Poured a murky, burnt orange with a frothy, half inch off-white head embedded with tiny ringlets. Head was refreshed with a swirl of the glass and lacing formed in sheets during each glass tilt before coating the glass with specks and strands. Nose revealed yeast, a musty/earthy quality some citrus-like character. More citrus in the mouth, manifested as astringency/tartness and a lingering bitterness. Picked up grapefruit and earthiness primarily, followed by yeast. Not sure where the cocoa and chili pepper is hiding. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and extremely lively leaving a light tingle/burn lingering in the middle of the tongue (maybe that's the chili pepper). Decent farmhouse, but I've had better from this brewer. I was anticipating something falling between Fantome's standard saison and Theobroma, but didn't find it here. (946 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

750ml
$14.49
Binny's, Willowbrook

Fantôme's Chocolat is a farmhouse ale brewed with cocoa and chili pepper which means this should be just as interesting as all the other crazy creations coming out of Soy, Belgium. I can tell this saison has a haziness as I watch the stream steadily flow from the bottle. As it fills my tulip the body changes from deep golden to the color of a setting sun, bordering on both red and orange until the mesh beautifully. When backlit this sucker glows! The entire body is loaded with lively effervescence, tiny carbonation bubbles that crawl up the contours of the glass and explode from the bottom. Two fingers of perfectly white head sit atop before slowly falling to a thick cap. Sticky, although thin, intricate lacing coat the glass.

Wow! Each time I stick my beak in the glass I'm amazed at how uniquely delicious this beer smells. I'm hit at first by that one and only Fantome bit of funk. There's a little barnyard in here, damp hay, cobwebs, old dried out wood, damp cedar with a little semi clean horseblanket. All the noticeable funk tends to stay in the background while an amazing soft coca powder lightly coats everything else. If I take a deep enough pull I can convince myself there is some sort of chili powder in this brew along with a handful of other eccentric spices I can't begin to put my finger on.

Again, wow! This saison has really surprised me. I expected good but this is uniquely excellent. That mild funkiness that from the nose lays down a solid somewhat tart base. A few flashes of orchard fruits make their presence known but this is a beer dedicated to the cocoa bean. The cocoa in each mouthful is soft and earthy with very little chocolate character, which I like. A good amount of damp cedar comes through on the swallow. The other spices are mild and slide in here and there but never become overbearing. For an 8% saison this one is soft and melded together perfectly. I can't even begin to do this beer justice with my description.

While Chocolat doesn't quite have the top tier mouthfeel like other saisons it's not shabby in the least. I'm greeted with a light lively body that falls just short of airy carbonation but isn't far off. A lingering spiciness coats the tongue until the next drink.

This is out of this world easy to drink. The earthy cocoa does something magical to the underlying Fantome qualities I've come to love. Each drink leaves me wanting the next.

I'm surprised at just how good this saison is. Chocolat is a gem in an entire stable of gems. If you see this around pick it up and be ready for an experience. Delicious saison for the kickoff of Saison Sunday! (2,662 characters)

Reviewed on 5/11/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy dark amber with a white head that persists. Aroma of sourness and sweet fruits (like a sour ale). Flavor initially of the same sweet/sour notes , slight funkiness, followed by a cocoa powder finish. Originally I thought the palate on the finish was rather weak, but when I picked out the cocoa powder, it was awesome! If you can pick it out, a sweet combination. Excelllent.
8/4/8/4/16 (4.0/5) (438 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +9.4%

I picked this beer up in Denver while there visiting a few months ago, and it seemed like a good time to review it. Here we go...

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear orangish golden color with a small off white head after a relatively aggressive pour. The head faded rather quickly, and stuck around as a small ring where the beer meets the glass. It was sustained by numerous small bubbles lazily seeking the surface.

Aroma: The aroma is outstanding with this beer. I really like the medley of spicy and sour notes. I don't get much of the cocoa in here, but still the aroma is really inviting with tons of fruit. I can pick up Lemons, and apricots at the same time, and distinctly.

Taste: The taste is drier than the aroma would have suggested. I get a bit of warming on the back of the throat from the alcohol, but there is a hint from the spice in there as well. I do get a bit of dryness that I would guess is contributed to by the cocoa, but it certainly isn't a key ingredient and one that I would not have picked out on my own. As the beer warms, it gets quite a bit more earthy...especially in the aftertaste.

Opinion: Well, I am really happy with this beer. I really like how it is on the edge of being a sour beer. I don't know if I would call it a Saison...per se, but it is still a really nice beer and I would definitely like to drink it again. (1,359 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

Got this one from Jw347 as part of 80's BIF. Thanks!
Poured a hazy golden orange colour with a dense cap of yellowish bubbles that produced lots of clumpy, clinging lace, nearly sheets of the stuff. Great head retention. Aroma was big on red wine character, a little tart with mild lemon and grassy notes. There was just the faintest hint of cocoa, not full on chocolate, but cocoa powder or carob. Quite fruity overall. Tart and fruity flavour up front, apples and pears, then grassy with a bit of citrus. By the finish, there was rising bitterness, but this was overcome by heat that was initially quite subtle, but grew just a bit over a few sips. Any chocolate was very muted, limited to hints of cocoa that flashed in and out of focus. There was a pleasant sweetness, a bit on the fruity side with some malt presence, that provided balance to the heat towards the end. An herbal character also appeared in the finish as it warmed, sort of an anise flavour. Ample carbonation that was on the creamy side, body was fairly smooth with a bit of warmth (in addition to the chili heat) in the finish. Fairly dry too. I've got to say, this wasn't at all what I was expecting, which may have worked in its favour. The mild chilis combined with the farmhouse character and hint of cocoa turned out to be a solid flavour profile, especially with the tartness. My only regret is that I didn't enjoy this sooner! (1,405 characters)

Fantôme Chocolat from Brasserie Fantôme