Fantôme Chocolat - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme ChocolatFantôme Chocolat

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: yen157 on 01-16-2005)
LaPeste

3.28/5  rDev -12.5%

This is my first time reviewing a beer, so I'll do my best.

I picked this one up at Vendome in North Hollywood

A: Pours a cloudy orange-brown with little head. From the appearance it looks like a complex beer.

S: Lemon, grass, sour notes. I get neither cocoa or chili.

T: Sour throughout, pepper, spices, citrus. Alcohol is well hidden. Still no chocolate or chili.

M: Light/Medium body with noticeable carbonation. Actually kind of boring.

D: Easy to drink and like I said the alcohol is well concealed. Just not very tasty so it's not like I want to keep drinking.

I was really looking forward to this one. Overall this one was a disappointment. I couldn't detect any of the chocolate that was advertised. This one was actually very unique, unfortunately it was still pretty boring.

04-25-2009 05:27:18 | More by LaPeste
beerindex

Missouri

Having been in the market for a chocolate chile beer and being unable to find the couple I'd heard much about, I settled for this when I came across a bottle in Bella Vino's a while back. After letting it refrigerate properly for a day or two, I opened it up and drank it. And I must say that this by far the worst beer I've ever had. I cannot begin to describe quite how awful this was. Be it the smell (a mix a puke, industrial floor cleaner, and more puke) or the taste (a mix of watered down Jalapeno juicy, vomit, toilet water from a British pub, Pepto, grapefruit, and more vomit), it is hard to imagine a worse concoction could exist. Every last sip felt like I was being tortured. And this is coming from somebody who has no major objections to saisons, likes a wide range of Belgian brews, and was excited to try a chocolate chile beer. Unless you're an outright masochist, skip this $15 nausea-inducer.

04-25-2009 00:46:04 | More by beerindex
haz77

Australia

3.6/5  rDev -4%

A - Pours a light chestnut brown with a fizzy tan head. This dissipates quickly, but is easily refreshed to a couple of fingers worth. A few bubbles of carbonation. Very nice.

S - Large smack of solvent and barnyard. Honey, apple, grass. Unable to find any chocolate.

T - Bit of a let down overall. Peppery start, then green apple running through the middle. Finish is nicely astringent, with a citrus/grassy tang. Aftertaste lingers pleasantly. Absolutely no sign of the 8% ABV.

M - Very light body and carbonation that is too soft. Probably the weakest link here.

D - Would be hugely drinkable if it was more interesting. Not the best effort of a brewery I hold in high regard.

03-24-2009 18:59:01 | More by haz77
Richardberg

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

A: poured from a large bottle into a pint glass. Clear yellow-orange with a big head.

S: yeast, citrus, farmhouse, grapefruit. Much less funk than I'd expected from a specialty saisson.

T: quite sour, but not tart like a Flemish. Interesting spices but I found them muted in relation and not that appetizing.

M: uninspiring

D: easy to drink, interesting craft, just not my favorite. I'll take a straight up saisson any day.

02-22-2009 03:35:56 | More by Richardberg
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

1pt. 9.4 fl. oz. corked and capped bottle served in my DT tulip. Cork read Brasserie Fantome Soy 086/477044. Poured a murky, burnt orange with a frothy, half inch off-white head embedded with tiny ringlets. Head was refreshed with a swirl of the glass and lacing formed in sheets during each glass tilt before coating the glass with specks and strands. Nose revealed yeast, a musty/earthy quality some citrus-like character. More citrus in the mouth, manifested as astringency/tartness and a lingering bitterness. Picked up grapefruit and earthiness primarily, followed by yeast. Not sure where the cocoa and chili pepper is hiding. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and extremely lively leaving a light tingle/burn lingering in the middle of the tongue (maybe that's the chili pepper). Decent farmhouse, but I've had better from this brewer. I was anticipating something falling between Fantome's standard saison and Theobroma, but didn't find it here.

01-25-2009 18:54:23 | More by Jwale73
joe1510

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

750ml
$14.49
Binny's, Willowbrook

Fantôme's Chocolat is a farmhouse ale brewed with cocoa and chili pepper which means this should be just as interesting as all the other crazy creations coming out of Soy, Belgium. I can tell this saison has a haziness as I watch the stream steadily flow from the bottle. As it fills my tulip the body changes from deep golden to the color of a setting sun, bordering on both red and orange until the mesh beautifully. When backlit this sucker glows! The entire body is loaded with lively effervescence, tiny carbonation bubbles that crawl up the contours of the glass and explode from the bottom. Two fingers of perfectly white head sit atop before slowly falling to a thick cap. Sticky, although thin, intricate lacing coat the glass.

Wow! Each time I stick my beak in the glass I'm amazed at how uniquely delicious this beer smells. I'm hit at first by that one and only Fantome bit of funk. There's a little barnyard in here, damp hay, cobwebs, old dried out wood, damp cedar with a little semi clean horseblanket. All the noticeable funk tends to stay in the background while an amazing soft coca powder lightly coats everything else. If I take a deep enough pull I can convince myself there is some sort of chili powder in this brew along with a handful of other eccentric spices I can't begin to put my finger on.

Again, wow! This saison has really surprised me. I expected good but this is uniquely excellent. That mild funkiness that from the nose lays down a solid somewhat tart base. A few flashes of orchard fruits make their presence known but this is a beer dedicated to the cocoa bean. The cocoa in each mouthful is soft and earthy with very little chocolate character, which I like. A good amount of damp cedar comes through on the swallow. The other spices are mild and slide in here and there but never become overbearing. For an 8% saison this one is soft and melded together perfectly. I can't even begin to do this beer justice with my description.

While Chocolat doesn't quite have the top tier mouthfeel like other saisons it's not shabby in the least. I'm greeted with a light lively body that falls just short of airy carbonation but isn't far off. A lingering spiciness coats the tongue until the next drink.

This is out of this world easy to drink. The earthy cocoa does something magical to the underlying Fantome qualities I've come to love. Each drink leaves me wanting the next.

I'm surprised at just how good this saison is. Chocolat is a gem in an entire stable of gems. If you see this around pick it up and be ready for an experience. Delicious saison for the kickoff of Saison Sunday!

01-19-2009 03:17:32 | More by joe1510
LilBeerDoctor

Reviewed on 5/11/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy dark amber with a white head that persists. Aroma of sourness and sweet fruits (like a sour ale). Flavor initially of the same sweet/sour notes , slight funkiness, followed by a cocoa powder finish. Originally I thought the palate on the finish was rather weak, but when I picked out the cocoa powder, it was awesome! If you can pick it out, a sweet combination. Excelllent.
8/4/8/4/16 (4.0/5)

12-03-2008 02:44:16 | More by LilBeerDoctor
SkeeterHawk

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%

I picked this beer up in Denver while there visiting a few months ago, and it seemed like a good time to review it. Here we go...

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear orangish golden color with a small off white head after a relatively aggressive pour. The head faded rather quickly, and stuck around as a small ring where the beer meets the glass. It was sustained by numerous small bubbles lazily seeking the surface.

Aroma: The aroma is outstanding with this beer. I really like the medley of spicy and sour notes. I don't get much of the cocoa in here, but still the aroma is really inviting with tons of fruit. I can pick up Lemons, and apricots at the same time, and distinctly.

Taste: The taste is drier than the aroma would have suggested. I get a bit of warming on the back of the throat from the alcohol, but there is a hint from the spice in there as well. I do get a bit of dryness that I would guess is contributed to by the cocoa, but it certainly isn't a key ingredient and one that I would not have picked out on my own. As the beer warms, it gets quite a bit more earthy...especially in the aftertaste.

Opinion: Well, I am really happy with this beer. I really like how it is on the edge of being a sour beer. I don't know if I would call it a Saison...per se, but it is still a really nice beer and I would definitely like to drink it again.

11-04-2008 06:15:05 | More by SkeeterHawk
DrJay

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Got this one from Jw347 as part of 80's BIF. Thanks!
Poured a hazy golden orange colour with a dense cap of yellowish bubbles that produced lots of clumpy, clinging lace, nearly sheets of the stuff. Great head retention. Aroma was big on red wine character, a little tart with mild lemon and grassy notes. There was just the faintest hint of cocoa, not full on chocolate, but cocoa powder or carob. Quite fruity overall. Tart and fruity flavour up front, apples and pears, then grassy with a bit of citrus. By the finish, there was rising bitterness, but this was overcome by heat that was initially quite subtle, but grew just a bit over a few sips. Any chocolate was very muted, limited to hints of cocoa that flashed in and out of focus. There was a pleasant sweetness, a bit on the fruity side with some malt presence, that provided balance to the heat towards the end. An herbal character also appeared in the finish as it warmed, sort of an anise flavour. Ample carbonation that was on the creamy side, body was fairly smooth with a bit of warmth (in addition to the chili heat) in the finish. Fairly dry too. I've got to say, this wasn't at all what I was expecting, which may have worked in its favour. The mild chilis combined with the farmhouse character and hint of cocoa turned out to be a solid flavour profile, especially with the tartness. My only regret is that I didn't enjoy this sooner!

10-12-2008 03:45:00 | More by DrJay
paulthebeerguru

A: snifter. light tawny color, very opaque. nice tan head. great retention and lacing.

S: huge lemonade aroma. tons of sours in the nose. slight peppery aroma.

T: great lemon citrus flavors. I pull the chili pepper in the back. not too much of the chocolate in there from the cocoa.

M: very smooth and almost creamy. big carbonation level. medium bodied.

D: exceptionally smooth for 8%...well worth a try if you like sour saisons.

10-02-2008 23:09:36 | More by paulthebeerguru
cvstrickland

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

750 capped and corked Champagne-style bottle poured into a large tulip glass yields a glowing-but-hazy apricot-colored body with a huge cap of fine milk-white foam. The head settles quickly to a thick-collared sheet, and wispy lacing remains on the glass as the drink goes down. Subsequent pours to the glass contribute an orange-brown murkiness.

The smell of Chocolat is spicy and decidedly musty, with juicy notes of unknown fruit lurking beneath the mild-mannered muddy barnyardy funk. Cocoa makes an appearance, but it's a dirty kind of cocoa-smell. 'Dirty' as in 'dirt-like', not as in 'unclean'... once again, the word 'muddy' pops in mind.

The taste is fruity with plenty more mustiness, with notes of apple and pear vying for palate-time with a woody bit of hog wallow. A sizzle of citrus emerges as the drink progresses, and a grassy hop note is soft, adding only a touch of bitterness. Lingering in the finish is a tingle of hot chili peppers and a dusting of cocoa powder (not dirt-y).

The drink is lightly-carbonated and medium in body, with a light and juicy feel that makes it highly quaffable.

09-14-2008 19:51:38 | More by cvstrickland
brdc

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev +4%

Large corked and capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

Dark orange brew with a very thick, fluffy white head, with good retention.
Nice aroma, with the usual, but somewhat subdued barnyard funk, earth, orange, flowers.
Medium bodied, nice carbonation, it is again earthy, with fruity and more noticeable orange notes; spices, some grass.
A good saison, but chilli and cocoa are nowhere to be found, which I thought was a bit misleading from the label, and name.

07-30-2008 01:22:55 | More by brdc
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

A capped and corked 750ml bottle.

Pours a dark golden/orange color with tons of sediment floating around, good sized head with some patchy lacing, I like the floaties.

Smell is very citrusy and yeasty, some fruity aromas, not picking up any of the cocoa or chili pepper that they mention, rather sour though.

Taste is initially sour but not overwhelmingly sour, still makes me pucker though, citrusy and crisp, becomes a bit harsh after drinking, fruity taste (apples most likely), still can't make out any cocoa or chili pepper though.

07-26-2008 17:07:37 | More by deltatauhobbit
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.58/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours an effervescent, semi hazed amber with one finger of eggshell white head. this really murks up at the bottom the, bottle reminding me of the bottom a tough cider jug transforms the beer poop brown. Zero head retention & a touch of lacing

S: Sourness, grassyness, & apples

T: Sourness, a touch of caramel, green apples, slight brown sugar & red pepper burn up front. Much dryness, some cocoa & more puckery apples & pears, plus either grapefruit hoppyness, red pepper or both as this warms. Finishes with crisp apples, lemons, grapefruit, & spicy cocoa, that reminds me a little bit of the "Ranger Cocoa: we used to make in the field with our MREs= Mre cocoa powder, MRE coffee & Tabasco sauce; really kept ya warm & alert!

MF: Medium bodied, spritzy, & a touch of stickyness

Drinks pretty easy despite the ABV & style, not a huge saison fan, but this is an exception, maybe I need to ovaltine & hot sauce to all future saisons I drink! This is the best saison taste-wise, I think I've had, period...so far

07-18-2008 04:13:30 | More by russpowell
beerthulhu

A: Pours a hazy golden lemon color with slight orange hues and a fluffy white head. Lots of peppery floaties dance in the glass.

S: The nose was big with a sour citrusy aroma. The sourness is very smooth and clean. There was a pinch if that of cocoa on the nose.

T: The flavor was surprising with sour fruit (pears, apples) and some light pepper notes add a very subtle spiciness. There was a light funky sourness as well. The cocoa was scarce and hard to pick up but was there along with some some sour fruit and lemon hopping rounding out the flavor. For anyone expecting a big chocolate experience may be mislead or disappointed. Danny Prignone is a noted wise-ass and jokester and definitely brews things his own way with a very unique variety of spices used for his seasonals. Those that complain about the lack of chocolate simply do not understand Danny's style or sense of humor.

M: very soft in carbonation providing for a smooth drinkability.

D: Overall a good beer, it's the subtlety of the drink itself that makes it stand out flavor-wise.

07-05-2008 13:34:25 | More by beerthulhu
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

750ml capped and corked bottle procured for me in Duluth by my friend demcorhip. Thanks so much! Poured into a snifter.

Pours a wonderful, hazey yellow with hints of gold and orange in all that yeasty goodness. Some lazy carbonation pierces the murk. About 1/4 inch of head subsides quickly and leaves tons of lace that lazily clings to the glass then slides down slowly. Lovely saison aroma with tons of dry funky yeastiness, sour green apples, pears, grass, dusty cellar, and a bit of floral and candylike sweetness for good measure.

First impression of the taste is that it's pretty light, but quickly becomes complex, with an immediate horsiness, then a bit of metallic sharpness and the tart green apple. Very earthy and organic flavour. Perhaps there is a bit of cocoa in here, but I can't detect it. This is a very clean-tasting saison, not too sour, certainly not sweet, very crisp, dry and light bodied, it may lack the complexity of a lot of Fantome's beers, but it's certainly a great sipper on this warm May evening.

05-16-2008 01:24:57 | More by trevorwideman
tempest

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

Shared a bottle at the Farmhouse in Emmaus. Paired with grilled mahi-mahi.

Appearance is the typical hazy straw yellow with a fluffy white head. The aroma has an acidic vinegar note mixed with herbs and white pepper. The flavor has a hint of the cocoa powder with what reminds me of fresh red pepper. Not really hops to speak of, just farmhouse funk with the chili and cocoa additions. Not drastically different from Fantome's other saisons, but a good and interesting beer to pair with food.

05-11-2008 15:21:29 | More by tempest
jwc215

Wisconsin

Label has freshness date with lot, month and years (from '07 to '12), but nothing is notched.

750 ml bottle, cork and capped:

Pours hazed lemon-drop yellow with a thin fluffy head that stays. Some trailing lace sticks.

The smell is lemon and orange peel, some barnyard mustiness, herbal spicing. No chocolate - well, perhaps a hint of cocoa after sipping and re-smelling - not sure if that's in my searching for it, though. Nice aroma, anyway.

The taste is of lemon/orange zest with an authentic, and well-done, Saison mustiness - not powerful, but there. Some herbal spicing with a forward sweet maltiness blend with tart and a hint of bitter. Very interesting, on several levels. The expected chocolate is certainly not in the forefront, despite the name of the beer, though there is a bittersweetness reminiscent of it. The sweetness has a touch of spicing that is a bit warming in the finish - almost having an aftertaste of having eaten a mildly spicy food. Odd - that. But, it still has a thirst-quenching zesty, refreshing quality to it.

The feel is fairly creamy with a laid-back carbonation level. Palate-cleansing in a sorbet sort of way.

There's a nice blend of powers at work. It's rather tough to describe without making it seem awkward - it wouldn't sound quite as good as it is. Things that don't sound like they would work actually work quite well together here. An interesting brew.

05-10-2008 19:15:27 | More by jwc215
mfhlucky13

A: Hazy gold with a small head, no lace.

S: Lightly malty, sweet, wet hay, just a small hint of cacao.

T: Rather complex. I get spice with some funk followed by ripe bananas with a sourness throughout. I can't tell if I can taste the cacao or if it's my mind playing tricks on me.

M: Bubbly, with a light draw on the mouth.

D: Easy to drink, the mix of flavors made me drink it slow hoping to find the chilies and chocolate.

I can't say that it's my favorite Fantome, but it did keep my taste buds in check.

03-17-2008 12:04:05 | More by mfhlucky13
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%

A yellow, golden beer which is a little murky. The head is thin and has big bubbles.

Smell is slightly tart with light corky whiffs. The yeast adds horseblanket and some flowery notes.

Taste is light tart. The typical Fantome yeast leaves it's print and gives the ussual tartness and Brett flavors. There are some honey notes.
Body is quite thin. The name of the beer refers to the use of cacoa powder. I tried to pick this up, but there is not even a trace of cacao, not even in the bottom part, might it have sacked out. The yeast is still unique, but this beer lacks the special twist that Fantome beers ussually have.

03-08-2008 14:16:59 | More by Absumaster
Deuane

2.7/5  rDev -28%

A-Clear gold with a medium white head that mostly diminished leaving minimal lacing.

S-Sweet, with a bit of sourness, fruity, and some spicy notes.

T-A bit of hops and spiciness but WHERE the hell is the chocolate? The reason for my 2...this beer is called Chocolat and I as hard as I try I do not detect any.

M-Light body. Carbonation was spirited making for a tingly mouthfeel.

D-For a straight up saision this beer is fine but I was hoping for so much more....maybe use real chocolate instead of cocoa podwer? WTF? Chocolat....where?

03-03-2008 07:04:18 | More by Deuane
vwcraig

Poured this into a Duvel tulip because I didn't have a Fantome tulip yet. Poured an orangy-light golden color. Very thick head on top that was the color of pancake batter. Has typical funky and skunky Fantome smell. Also has a fresh grassy and herbal hop smell. Funky taste with a light bitter finish that is fairly crisp. Balanced in tastes with a hop bitterness or yeasty flavor along with a sweetness that is mostly a mystery to me. It doesn't taste like cocoa to me that's for sure. Sweetness is almost fruity like a tripel. Creamy mouthfeel and pleasant carbonation. The cocoa does come out as it warms up a bit. Not my favorite Fantome, but is definitely different from anything else that I have ever had.

02-28-2008 21:33:57 | More by vwcraig
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Coppery dark orange with a brick red blush when backlit with indirect February sunshine. Crazy carbonation settles down to merely mildly deranged by the three minute mark, but not before creating a massive, marshmallow-like, pastel orange crown. A modest amount of glass coverage does nothing to diminish this majestic looking saison. Note: subsequent pours add a ton of yeast and change the color to murky ochre.

The unique ingredients in Chocolat are cocoa powder and chile powder. By the way, all Fantome beer contains unique ingredients, it's just that Mr. Prignon has decided to tell us what some of them are this time. This is shaping up to be quite the interesting experience.

Once the foam finally melts a bit... the aroma isn't very cocoa-like, but it's spicier than the usual saison. Well, maybe not spicier, but differently spiced. It still delivers the sour fruity, barnyard funky aroma that aficionados of this brewery have come to know and love. It's also more musky than most of the lineup.

Chocolat is good beer that is more subtle than anticipated given the ingredients. There's no reason for anyone to be scared off by the chile powder because this is not a spicy ale. Warming allows both of the ingredients mentioned above to be appreciated, but I could not have identified the chile if blinded.

The flavor profile consists of tart apples and pears, cocoa powder, cinnamon and baked nuts. The flavor sensations, and the contrasts between them, are more interesting yet. From most prominent to least: earthy, musky, spicy, sour, funky and bitter. As the 7th dwarf, we could add either Happy (what I am now) or Sleepy (what I will soon be).

It's doubtful that it was purposeful, but Chocolat tastes a little like Mexican mole pablano sauce. Again, it isn't even close to that intensely favored. Now that I think about it, the beer that I thought I would be drinking is probably undrinkable. Dany's way, the saison essence has been preserved and hasn't been buried under an onslaught of strangeness. After all, he already brews a Strange Ghost.

The carbonation doesn't last long enough to provide an expansively creamy mouthfeel much past the third or fourth mouthful. It's still good, but it isn't special. It looks like the chile powder heat is cumulative because my mouth and tongue are beginning to feel it. Barely.

Chocolat isn't my favorite Fantome offering (Saison), but it is well worth the asking price because there's nothing else like it. I hope Dany continues to brew outstanding beer and continues to push the envelope for decades to come.

02-23-2008 22:25:19 | More by BuckeyeNation
irishkyle21

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Another unique beer from those wacky Belgians. This one starts with a bright pillowy head. Good retention and lacing. Has a gold/orange color (some chill haze).

Smells of citrus, mustiness, faint cocoa, spices and I know this sounds funny but it has a scent that reminds me of a dirty urinal. I don't know how or why but it smells good.

Tastes of musty yeasty funk, hidden cocoa, spices, citrus and rather crisp.

01-31-2008 00:59:19 | More by irishkyle21
eberkman

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Pours a hazy orange-gold with a big, sticky off-white head that’s firm enough to last a while. Lacing forms but does not cling – slides back down into the head. Nice funky smell at first whiff – big blast of sourness and sweatsocks. Just the way I like it. As it opens up while it warms, the chocolate aromas become detectable. The taste is tangy fleshy fruit with some yeast presence. Dry finish without much trace of hops. The chocolate is primarily in the nose – not much presence in the taste. Spritzy, crisp mouthfeel. Very sessionable, but didn’t hold up to my powerful homemade ground turkey, andouille and Imperial stout chili. Probably a stupid pairing. Next time (and there will be a next time), I'll pair it with the stinkiest cheese I can find.

01-23-2008 04:38:44 | More by eberkman