Fantôme Chocolat - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: yen157 on 01-16-2005

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from 22oz bottle purchased and poured at Avenue pub, NOLA. Pours a golden hay with great thick lasting foamy head into unibroue tulip. Funky sour saison aromas; a little lemony citrus but its bright. Taste is of very pungent funk, sour, crisp citrusy sasion, but followed by a very subtle chocolate flavor. Really really nice. It actually works well, although it seems gross on paper. Nice dry finish as a saison should be. Again, a great unique saison from the master.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle opened on 10.7.12

A - Pours a hazy medium orange with a very large off-white soapy head that fades down very slowly.

S - Tart lemons, hay, grass, wood.

T - Roasted malt, smoke, tobacco, leather. Some subtle funk throughout along with some chocolate.

D - Tons of carbonations with a light body and a smokey finish.

O - Looks Belgium, tastes smokey and dark chocolate.

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at Stein's in New Orleans this past May.

This is a very different and complex beer. Served in a large tulip. It pours a very hazy blonde with an inch to an inch and a half of white head that slowly dissipates but leaves a long lasting surface layers of fizz.

Smell is an immediate blast of brett funk and stale citrus with a slightly smoky background. To me it was like a smoked champagne aroma.

Tastes follows suit with a peppery farmhouse funk and sour aspect. That smoky background carries through in the flavor. As it warmed and I swished it around I did get a slight taste of bittersweet cocoa on the back of my tongue.

Mouthfeel is crisp, sharp and dry with a high level of carbonation but still maintains some malt sweetness.

Overall this is a decent beer. Not something I would search out again, but if you are into funky, complex beers. This one is definitely worth a try. Next time I would serve in a flute instead of a tulip.

4.31/5  rDev +14.3%

750 ml split with the wife.
Served in Tripel Karmeliet tulip.

A - Pours a hazy apricot with a creamy eggshell head that sinks forming a thin cap. Speckled lacing left behind.

S - Astringent and sharp brett yeast, barnyard funk galore, pungent lemon, soured hemp, moldy fruit, oranges, seasoned curly fries, peppery spices,

T - Peppery spice upfront, dried orange peel, honey bread, earth, arugula greens, dry bitter cocoa wicks away any moisture on the palate creating a bone dry and bittering finish.

M - Smooth feel, moderate creamy carbonation, bitter dry finish.

The aroma is full of sharp funk. The cocoa works well because it's a bitter chocolate rather than sweet. The cocoa along with the chili powder add dryness and bite and marries well with Saison characteristics. Loved exploring this beer and wish I had some cheese to pair it with.

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

Chocolat pours a light bodied dark and cloudy orange in color with a billowing three finger, bright white head. The nose features aromas of lemon rhind, green pepper, herbal spice, earthy must, Lemongrass, and Belgian yeast. Despite all of the adjectives I wouldn't say it's very complex, like Fantomes other beers. There isn't any chocolate or chile to be found. I expected at least the chocolate to be somewhat present. The flavors are dry and musty. The lemon rhind and grass are the two most dominant flavors. It certainly does have an herbal, leafy, tea like aspect as well. There is also moderate bitterness. It certainly doesn't drink as smoothly as the other Fantomes that I've tried and has a bit more carbonation. Overall this was a strange beer. Blind, I probably would've pegged it as a Fantome but for the name of the beer and description on the side it was disappointing. It wasn't as complex or unique as their other offerings in my opinion.

3.62/5  rDev -4%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours hazy golden orange color with a small 1 finger foamy white head with ok retention that reduces to nothing. No lacing, with a fair amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of cocoa, apple, lemon, cherry, pepper, biscuit, earth, grass, hay, big funk, and yeast spices. Some fairly nice and well balanced aromas with good strength. Taste of tart apple, cherry, lemon, chocolate, chili, pepper, biscuit, funk, hay, grass, and yeast spices. Fair amount of tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of grass, tart apple, lemon, and yeast spices on the finish for a good bit. Nicely complex and balanced flavor, but it has a bit of an odd flavor presence along with the normal Fantome funk. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and slick mouthfeel. Smooth to drink but is still a sipper with the tart flavors. Alcohol is well hidden with hardly any warming noticed on the finish. Overall this is a nice and complex farmhouse ale. A touch on the odd side with some of the flavors, but it was still enjoyable to sip on.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

I actually went to the Chocolaterie, with whom the brewer co-operated tp brew this Fantome Chocolate. THe first thing the chocolatier told me, that it's actually a wrong name - it should be Fantome Cacao, not Chocolat, since only cocoa is in it.
So when I tasted it, I was not surprised not to find a sweet beer, but a rather bitter one..

Appearance: pale golden, nice cream

Smell: at first a bit of everything, afterwards some herbal essence, some spicyness, I didn't smell cocoa, my wife did

Taste: actually a lot less bitter than I had expected. Pleasantly bitter, spicy, and here, indeed, a touch of cocoa - very nice blend

Mouthfeel: a mouthful, refreshing

Overall: better than I had expected (especially after having seen the brewery from the outside, looks quite amateuristic), will defenitely present it at my next beer seminar

2.03/5  rDev -46.2%

Green 750ml bottle with cork shared by Patrick. Amber colour with a white ring of foam around the glass. Some brett on the nose but I was somewhat watery, I'm still searching the chocolate and the chili. Some oxidation is perceptible. The taste: watery and oxidized. An old bottle or a bottle that is going downhill.

I shared a bottle with Marcus Siu at the Louisville Beer Store.

A - Pours a nice medium-dark yellow with a nice fluffy white head. It is evident from the pour that there is moderate carbonation.

S - Smells super funky… spices are evident with fruitiness in the background, oranges? Also, malty/earthy notes, and Belgian yeast. This is one of the funkier Fantome brews I have tried.

T- Tastes of funk, spices, yeast, bread, earthy notes, and light fruit. Funk is still there, though it is less funky than the nose. I get a hint of the pepper, and the chocolate brings a nice earthy balance.

M – Like I stated earlier: moderate carbonation with a medium to light body.

O– This is a funky saison for sure. Honestly, this Fantome exceeded my expectations a bit. Marcus said it was his favorite, and he liked it better than the Fantome Noel.

750ml bottle shared with friends. Poured into a matching Fantome tulip, the brew appears a perfectly clear golden yellow with hints of orange coloration. 2 fingers worth of white froth slowly fade leaving thick frothy patches and spots of lace. A constant stream of carbonation rises to the surface in support of the cap.

The smell is... Well, it's poopy like dirty diaper and sulfur initially. It gives way to some earthy elements as it breathes with grassy notes and the most faint touch of raw cocoa across the back. The more I smell this, the more it reminds me of more earthy raw cocoa nibs and not the expected sugary chocolate you might expect from other styles. As the brew warms up, it morphs into a strange almost smoked pepper scent.

The taste is quite earthy and green. Yeast is evident and even moreso as you approach the bottom. Raw earthy character of grass and herbal aspects give way to a light lemon rind aspect. It almost displays a bit of menthol kick and weedy aspect. There is a mild bitterness present thoroughout. The aftertaste includes something almost like onion or chives. Dare I say this has a dusty feel to it.

This is a light bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. Not exactly the bold chocolate offering you might expect based off of other chocolate beers that are exaggerated and sometimes over done. This had a good earthy aspect about it along with some unique twists. I approached this beer with low expectations and found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Served from bottle into a Fantome outlined ghost tulip. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a one finger white head that remained throughout. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, spices, funk, banana, fruit, and bread. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, earth, fruit, and spices. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Based on the flavors here you could definitely tell this belonged in the Saison category. However, as mentioned before, the label says 'Chocolat'... But there was none to be found at least in my experience. This is okay though, but a little off-putting for someone who might be expecting it in their first taste of a Saison. Worth trying if you can, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

3.67/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks yourefragile for sharing this at the Fantome-marathon we endured in that religious compound. Served in a Fantome tulip because all the cool kids were doing it..

I guess I'm stupid but when a beer is called "chocolate" I expect it to be dark, and I guess it was sort of darkER than a couple of the others but my notes say "orange?" and it had a white head....hmmmm...

Beer smells like orange peel, rind, I fear this has now become find the chocolate.

If it didn't say chocolate on the label I wouldn't think there was any chocolate in the beer but since I can read and don't want to appear to look like a fool right now I'm going to claim I could taste chocolate, when in reality what I tasted was lemon and orange peel, mild flowers, and a decent yeast palate. A nice beer but why is it called chocolate?

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

From 11/05/11 notes. Bottle shared by yourefragile at the mega-Fantome tasting. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a dark yellow color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells funky, spices, fruity malts, earthy notes, and Belgian yeast. Ton of funk; one of the funkier Fantome beers of the night.

t - Tastes of funk, spices, yeast, bread, earthy notes, and light fruit. Funk is still there, though it is less funky than the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a nice funky saision. Not sure why the name as I didn't get any chocolate, but a Fantmoe beer I'd have again.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle shared by yourefragile. Thanks Michael.

Sampled alongside twenty other Fantôme beers.

The beer is a light blonde orange color with a small white head. The aroma offers some orange, citrus, funk...hold on, where is this so called chocolate? So far appearance and aroma do not fulfill what was promised on the label. The flavor is orange, orange peel, light spice, yeast, funk, but nary a hint of chocolate. Still, a decent saison, though not in the upper echelon of Fantôme brews. Light to medium in body with adequate carbonation. Overall, a decent saison from Fantôme.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Few would expect a beer with 'chocolate' in its name (and cocoa in the ingredients list) to be this bright and pale; the beer is tinted a vivid banana fruit yellow. Curiously it's not see through, despite that its complexion is pristinely clean. And its head is not as expansive as most saisons, but some white foam does make a brief cameo.

Just as you wouldn't know it from looking at it, smelling the beer similarly gives no indication of any special ingredients. No chocolate here. Instead, like any good ol' Belgian saison, it smells of dry straw and a dab of fresh orchard fruit. The style's (as well as the brewery's) characteristic "funk" is dialed down to a tart, lemony acidity.

I assume the recipe took a 'better safe than sorry' motto as far as the cocoa and chili flakes were concerned; with still no trace of them as the beer warms I'm ready to put their pictures out on milk cartons. To be honest, however, they are not missed. Clean malt and ample carbonation make for a damn nice, albeit understated, saison.

The beer has refreshingly dry notes of straw and hay, with a tart, lemon-y acidity that comes on stronger by the second half of the bottle. The flavour is simple, actually unexpectedly clean, showcasing no real spice (not even from the yeast) and, apart from a faint marmalade note, little fruitiness. It is actually quite plain for a typically dynamic style.

Fantôme brewmaster Dany Prignon rarely divulges his secrets. The fact that he wised up to adding cocoa and chili flakes may in fact be because, otherwise, no one would ever have known. That might have gotten me worked up, considering I spent good money on this bottle under the pretext that it would have some chocolate flavour, but, truth be told, this is a world-class saison through and through, as only a Belgian hand could do.

2.46/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Hazy golden orange with a very thin off-white head. This beer leaves tiny spots of lacing down the glass, though there isn't much there.

Grass, hay, a strong funk, and some white fruit combine. If I try really hard, I can convince myself there's a hint of bitter chocolate in the nose, but that may just be my imagination. There's a strong vomit aroma that I can't get past.

Funky yeast, bread, grass, and an unpleasant sour acidity make up this beer's flavor. Again, there might be just a hint of bitter, old chocolate on the finish, but it's certainly faint if it's there at all. Unfortunately, vomit flavors dominate.

Thin to medium bodied with low carbonation.

This was one of the most disappointing beers I've had to date. After enjoying every Fantome iteration before this one, I got giddy when I saw this bottle in the store. What an absolute letdown.

2.02/5  rDev -46.4%

Thanks to that bad ass mother fucker Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!!

Look Murky orange in color with almost no head and was head there was didnt last long

Smell: The beer smelled of bready yeast and grass

Taste: A bit sour upfront with some vial notes to it kinda like throwing up and that left over acidity in your mouth yeah that is what this beer tasted like with just a hint of cocoa at the end and oh yeah where the fuck are the chili's????

Mouthfeel: Light and highly carbonated and a bit sour and tart

Overall: Honestly this is my first experience with fantome and it is just awful.

2.29/5  rDev -39.3%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!
Pours Hazy peachy-copper color with a short white head very Low retention. And I got the dregs so mine was extra cloudy.

The nose is not the most pleasant. Brett. Sour pear. No chocolate or chili.

Flavor fallls short as well. No chocolate or chili characteristics which is very disappointing. Just bitter and sour fruit.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with Medium-High carbonation. Bitter.

Overall it was a big disappointment not just for me but for all of us in the bottleshare. None of the flavor characteristics shine through that it says it's made with like chocolate and chilis. I think they put the wrong label on the bottle?? Not a fan.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy, bright copper color with a medium white head that slowly diminishes. Scent is extremely funky from the second I popped the cork. Got to love that Fantome funk! A lot of green apple and barnyard. Not really picking up any chocolate, but I do get faint chili pepper. Very peppery and spicy. Taste is kinda what I was hoping for. Even though I saw what this was brewed with, I was hoping it would be pleasantly tart, AND IT IS! Tart green apples with pears and a bit of lemon. Nice and grassy with nice Belgian yeast and peppery spice. Lots of lemon zest. Funky brett flavors with faint bready notes. Still no chocolate, but the chili is there as this beer warms. Mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated. Tart finish. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is a damn tasty beer. It's better than I imagined it would be.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer pours a golden straw color slightly hazy with a good head that receded rather slowly. The smell is earthy slightly funky but no chocolate. The flavor follows suit with the beer being tasting a little funky with definite earth notes and a small amount of tartness but is barely noticeable. The mouthfeel is light and smooth it kind of felt like a beer that had chocolate as other beers brewed win chocolate almost always have that smooth mouthfeel. Overall nothing bad to say about it besides where is the chocolate. Still a very good saison

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a light golden copper with a finger of off white head, a bit cloudy

Smells sour, grassy, funky, smells a lot like a lambic actually, maybe a hint of chocolate here

Taste is more sour. This is the sourest saison I have ever tasted, pretty weird. Some lemons, some oranges, medium -high carbonation, no chocolate that I can see.

Overall I was a little put off by the sourness. I enjoy sour beers, this reminds me of a cuvee de ranke, but when I pull out a saison this is not what I expect. Its not a bad beer at all, but the sourness and lack of chocolate hurt it in the ratings for me.

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

Love Fantome, have not had one in a long time. I picked this one up last week in Brussels on my Dad and I's beer tour, here we go.
Foam slowly rises in the neck of the bottle.
Pours a light coppery orange color. Very high carbonation, settles down into light wisp. A constant 1/2 finger head stays in the bottle.
Cocoa and chili powder in a beer, Saison at that, as a chef this very interesting.
Smells of spices wisp out, very spicy. Chili, pepper, bitter cocoa slowly emerges and begins to grow. Malt,biscuit, married with sour fruit, apple, barnyard, hay, the mixture of cocoa,barnyard, biscuit,grain, create a sweet-sour cocoa mix that is quite interesting and immensely unique.
The first sip blows my mind. Tart,sour lemon fermented pears give way to cinnamon, biscuit,cocoa, a sour beginning with a spiced cocoa finish. Red grape, black teas, smoke, tobacco, chilli powder, more hay. Immense, yet balanced.
Mouthfeel is medium, with sour/spiced/carbonation all balancing each other out in near-perfect balance. A slow buliding spice makes this beer interesting, as the heat makes you reach for the glass more and more frequently.
Spicy snacks and beautiful saison in one glass, once again a tip of the glass top Mr. Prignon

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

This was a really interesting brew. The funk of the Saison was still quite present, but was definitely muted (and enhanced?!?) by the chocolate. The sweetness and flavor of the chocolate was not quite there on the first glass. Second glass....whoa! It looked like yoo hoo on that second pour and tasted like it, with, of course, that tang of a good farmhouse ale. I ended up finishing the bottle on my own, as everyone who I offered a taste wasn't in to it...well then, more for me...I'll be trying this one again.

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%

A – Bright orange with a touch of brown. Head dies quickly leaving a low lace – unusual for the style, especially for the brewery.

S – Hah, this actually has the most of the infamous saison descriptors like sour cat urine, socks, and wet grain. The irony is that it’s the cliché ‘classic’ nose of the style, I can’t find a trace of chocolate.

T – Champaign like opening into lemmon, pepper, sweet tarts, and hay. Middle and backend plays out lime, orange zest and pear. It’s actually a pretty tasty saison, but where the heck is the chocolate lol.

M – Nice soft body with a great carbonation and a dry finish.

O – Delicious, complex and well balanced. A great saison for a hot day. The strange part is that there was any chocolate in the bottle we poured – and the 3 tasters I was with and I were really digging for it. This sparked a big debate over how to rate the beer. Half of us believed that rating ‘to style’ would have to account for the fact that the bottle was labeled as a ‘chocolate saison’; a promise that the bottle we had failed to deliver on. The other half (myself included) felt it was ok to rate the beer as a saison in and of itself, and the ratings given here reflect that.

2.68/5  rDev -28.9%

This pours out as a muddy looking brown color with a ton of sediment in there. The head came and went. The smell was a little bit like a farmhouse ale but had some other funky stuff going on in there too. The taste was earthy and kind of bland. I'm not sure why but this beer just doesn't really set off many alarms for me on the taste and smell. The mouthfeel is a bit watery without much carbonation. Perhaps this was a bad bottle but overall I found this to be a very boring brew. I'd try it again if it was from somewhere where it's going to be fresh.

Fantôme Chocolat from Brasserie Fantôme