2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme Chocolat - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme ChocolatFantôme Chocolat

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: yen157 on 01-16-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 290 | Reviews: 218 | Show All Ratings:
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

Served from bottle into a Fantome outlined ghost tulip. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a one finger white head that remained throughout. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, spices, funk, banana, fruit, and bread. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, earth, fruit, and spices. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Based on the flavors here you could definitely tell this belonged in the Saison category. However, as mentioned before, the label says 'Chocolat'... But there was none to be found at least in my experience. This is okay though, but a little off-putting for someone who might be expecting it in their first taste of a Saison. Worth trying if you can, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

12-18-2011 20:15:59 | More by thagr81us
drabmuh

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks yourefragile for sharing this at the Fantome-marathon we endured in that religious compound. Served in a Fantome tulip because all the cool kids were doing it..

I guess I'm stupid but when a beer is called "chocolate" I expect it to be dark, and I guess it was sort of darkER than a couple of the others but my notes say "orange?" and it had a white head....hmmmm...

Beer smells like orange peel, rind, I fear this has now become find the chocolate.

If it didn't say chocolate on the label I wouldn't think there was any chocolate in the beer but since I can read and don't want to appear to look like a fool right now I'm going to claim I could taste chocolate, when in reality what I tasted was lemon and orange peel, mild flowers, and a decent yeast palate. A nice beer but why is it called chocolate?

11-22-2011 17:58:48 | More by drabmuh
mdfb79

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

From 11/05/11 notes. Bottle shared by yourefragile at the mega-Fantome tasting. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a dark yellow color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells funky, spices, fruity malts, earthy notes, and Belgian yeast. Ton of funk; one of the funkier Fantome beers of the night.

t - Tastes of funk, spices, yeast, bread, earthy notes, and light fruit. Funk is still there, though it is less funky than the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a nice funky saision. Not sure why the name as I didn't get any chocolate, but a Fantmoe beer I'd have again.

11-10-2011 03:54:50 | More by mdfb79
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle shared by yourefragile. Thanks Michael.

Sampled alongside twenty other Fantôme beers.

The beer is a light blonde orange color with a small white head. The aroma offers some orange, citrus, funk...hold on, where is this so called chocolate? So far appearance and aroma do not fulfill what was promised on the label. The flavor is orange, orange peel, light spice, yeast, funk, but nary a hint of chocolate. Still, a decent saison, though not in the upper echelon of Fantôme brews. Light to medium in body with adequate carbonation. Overall, a decent saison from Fantôme.

11-08-2011 05:29:33 | More by Huhzubendah
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Few would expect a beer with 'chocolate' in its name (and cocoa in the ingredients list) to be this bright and pale; the beer is tinted a vivid banana fruit yellow. Curiously it's not see through, despite that its complexion is pristinely clean. And its head is not as expansive as most saisons, but some white foam does make a brief cameo.

Just as you wouldn't know it from looking at it, smelling the beer similarly gives no indication of any special ingredients. No chocolate here. Instead, like any good ol' Belgian saison, it smells of dry straw and a dab of fresh orchard fruit. The style's (as well as the brewery's) characteristic "funk" is dialed down to a tart, lemony acidity.

I assume the recipe took a 'better safe than sorry' motto as far as the cocoa and chili flakes were concerned; with still no trace of them as the beer warms I'm ready to put their pictures out on milk cartons. To be honest, however, they are not missed. Clean malt and ample carbonation make for a damn nice, albeit understated, saison.

The beer has refreshingly dry notes of straw and hay, with a tart, lemon-y acidity that comes on stronger by the second half of the bottle. The flavour is simple, actually unexpectedly clean, showcasing no real spice (not even from the yeast) and, apart from a faint marmalade note, little fruitiness. It is actually quite plain for a typically dynamic style.

Fantôme brewmaster Dany Prignon rarely divulges his secrets. The fact that he wised up to adding cocoa and chili flakes may in fact be because, otherwise, no one would ever have known. That might have gotten me worked up, considering I spent good money on this bottle under the pretext that it would have some chocolate flavour, but, truth be told, this is a world-class saison through and through, as only a Belgian hand could do.

10-20-2011 04:00:37 | More by biegaman
ehammond1

2.45/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottle

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Hazy golden orange with a very thin off-white head. This beer leaves tiny spots of lacing down the glass, though there isn't much there.

Grass, hay, a strong funk, and some white fruit combine. If I try really hard, I can convince myself there's a hint of bitter chocolate in the nose, but that may just be my imagination. There's a strong vomit aroma that I can't get past.

Funky yeast, bread, grass, and an unpleasant sour acidity make up this beer's flavor. Again, there might be just a hint of bitter, old chocolate on the finish, but it's certainly faint if it's there at all. Unfortunately, vomit flavors dominate.

Thin to medium bodied with low carbonation.

This was one of the most disappointing beers I've had to date. After enjoying every Fantome iteration before this one, I got giddy when I saw this bottle in the store. What an absolute letdown.

10-19-2011 19:27:14 | More by ehammond1
DarthKostrizer

1.98/5  rDev -47.2%

Thanks to that bad ass mother fucker Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!!

Look Murky orange in color with almost no head and was head there was didnt last long

Smell: The beer smelled of bready yeast and grass

Taste: A bit sour upfront with some vial notes to it kinda like throwing up and that left over acidity in your mouth yeah that is what this beer tasted like with just a hint of cocoa at the end and oh yeah where the fuck are the chili's????

Mouthfeel: Light and highly carbonated and a bit sour and tart

Overall: Honestly this is my first experience with fantome and it is just awful.

10-19-2011 18:14:16 | More by DarthKostrizer
MrVonzipper

2.28/5  rDev -39.2%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!
Pours Hazy peachy-copper color with a short white head very Low retention. And I got the dregs so mine was extra cloudy.

The nose is not the most pleasant. Brett. Sour pear. No chocolate or chili.

Flavor fallls short as well. No chocolate or chili characteristics which is very disappointing. Just bitter and sour fruit.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with Medium-High carbonation. Bitter.

Overall it was a big disappointment not just for me but for all of us in the bottleshare. None of the flavor characteristics shine through that it says it's made with like chocolate and chilis. I think they put the wrong label on the bottle?? Not a fan.

10-16-2011 17:40:09 | More by MrVonzipper
DovaliHops

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy, bright copper color with a medium white head that slowly diminishes. Scent is extremely funky from the second I popped the cork. Got to love that Fantome funk! A lot of green apple and barnyard. Not really picking up any chocolate, but I do get faint chili pepper. Very peppery and spicy. Taste is kinda what I was hoping for. Even though I saw what this was brewed with, I was hoping it would be pleasantly tart, AND IT IS! Tart green apples with pears and a bit of lemon. Nice and grassy with nice Belgian yeast and peppery spice. Lots of lemon zest. Funky brett flavors with faint bready notes. Still no chocolate, but the chili is there as this beer warms. Mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated. Tart finish. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is a damn tasty beer. It's better than I imagined it would be.

10-13-2011 05:21:58 | More by DovaliHops
rowingbrewer

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer pours a golden straw color slightly hazy with a good head that receded rather slowly. The smell is earthy slightly funky but no chocolate. The flavor follows suit with the beer being tasting a little funky with definite earth notes and a small amount of tartness but is barely noticeable. The mouthfeel is light and smooth it kind of felt like a beer that had chocolate as other beers brewed win chocolate almost always have that smooth mouthfeel. Overall nothing bad to say about it besides where is the chocolate. Still a very good saison

08-25-2011 12:07:00 | More by rowingbrewer
lanbewardin

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a light golden copper with a finger of off white head, a bit cloudy

Smells sour, grassy, funky, smells a lot like a lambic actually, maybe a hint of chocolate here

Taste is more sour. This is the sourest saison I have ever tasted, pretty weird. Some lemons, some oranges, medium -high carbonation, no chocolate that I can see.

Overall I was a little put off by the sourness. I enjoy sour beers, this reminds me of a cuvee de ranke, but when I pull out a saison this is not what I expect. Its not a bad beer at all, but the sourness and lack of chocolate hurt it in the ratings for me.

08-07-2011 05:33:42 | More by lanbewardin
czfreeman

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

Love Fantome, have not had one in a long time. I picked this one up last week in Brussels on my Dad and I's beer tour, here we go.
Foam slowly rises in the neck of the bottle.
Pours a light coppery orange color. Very high carbonation, settles down into light wisp. A constant 1/2 finger head stays in the bottle.
Cocoa and chili powder in a beer, Saison at that, as a chef this very interesting.
Smells of spices wisp out, very spicy. Chili, pepper, bitter cocoa slowly emerges and begins to grow. Malt,biscuit, married with sour fruit, apple, barnyard, hay, the mixture of cocoa,barnyard, biscuit,grain, create a sweet-sour cocoa mix that is quite interesting and immensely unique.
The first sip blows my mind. Tart,sour lemon fermented pears give way to cinnamon, biscuit,cocoa, a sour beginning with a spiced cocoa finish. Red grape, black teas, smoke, tobacco, chilli powder, more hay. Immense, yet balanced.
Mouthfeel is medium, with sour/spiced/carbonation all balancing each other out in near-perfect balance. A slow buliding spice makes this beer interesting, as the heat makes you reach for the glass more and more frequently.
Spicy snacks and beautiful saison in one glass, once again a tip of the glass top Mr. Prignon

06-28-2011 20:33:11 | More by czfreeman
Ralphs66

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

This was a really interesting brew. The funk of the Saison was still quite present, but was definitely muted (and enhanced?!?) by the chocolate. The sweetness and flavor of the chocolate was not quite there on the first glass. Second glass....whoa! It looked like yoo hoo on that second pour and tasted like it, with, of course, that tang of a good farmhouse ale. I ended up finishing the bottle on my own, as everyone who I offered a taste wasn't in to it...well then, more for me...I'll be trying this one again.

06-20-2011 12:50:28 | More by Ralphs66
vfgccp

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

A – Bright orange with a touch of brown. Head dies quickly leaving a low lace – unusual for the style, especially for the brewery.

S – Hah, this actually has the most of the infamous saison descriptors like sour cat urine, socks, and wet grain. The irony is that it’s the cliché ‘classic’ nose of the style, I can’t find a trace of chocolate.

T – Champaign like opening into lemmon, pepper, sweet tarts, and hay. Middle and backend plays out lime, orange zest and pear. It’s actually a pretty tasty saison, but where the heck is the chocolate lol.

M – Nice soft body with a great carbonation and a dry finish.

O – Delicious, complex and well balanced. A great saison for a hot day. The strange part is that there was any chocolate in the bottle we poured – and the 3 tasters I was with and I were really digging for it. This sparked a big debate over how to rate the beer. Half of us believed that rating ‘to style’ would have to account for the fact that the bottle was labeled as a ‘chocolate saison’; a promise that the bottle we had failed to deliver on. The other half (myself included) felt it was ok to rate the beer as a saison in and of itself, and the ratings given here reflect that.

06-03-2011 03:05:57 | More by vfgccp
Knapp85

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

This pours out as a muddy looking brown color with a ton of sediment in there. The head came and went. The smell was a little bit like a farmhouse ale but had some other funky stuff going on in there too. The taste was earthy and kind of bland. I'm not sure why but this beer just doesn't really set off many alarms for me on the taste and smell. The mouthfeel is a bit watery without much carbonation. Perhaps this was a bad bottle but overall I found this to be a very boring brew. I'd try it again if it was from somewhere where it's going to be fresh.

06-01-2011 17:01:54 | More by Knapp85
CanuckRover

Ontario (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect from Chocolat, but this wasn't it!

An inviting light brown. Big head off the pour settles to a thin line. Substantial lacings to the finish.

Quite restrained aroma. Not as funky as Fantome's usually are. I get an interesting sweetness, but hard time pegging it down from smell alone.

Not knowing that this was a chocolate-chili mix, my first sip gave me the impression that this was a clever attempt by Fantome to recreate a chocolate flavour with a mix of spices (as opposed to actual chocolate and malt). It's just such a different aspect of chocolate than you see in most efforts, much more milk-chocolate truffle than dark bitter-sweet. Now BAs with far better palates than I say they couldn't find the chile, but I thought it came through loud and clear in the finish and then I realized what I was drinking. Not the chile flavour, but certainly the heat comes through in the end, just like you would get in a chocolate bar or truffle with chile in it.

As usual, a nice light saison character to the beer, manages to remain refreshing despite the unique ingredients.

Not my favourite Fantome product, but that doesn't mean much. Still a fantastic, unique brew.

05-23-2011 21:20:26 | More by CanuckRover
HeyItsChili

China

A - Poured from a bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a hazy, opaque amber with a thin white head.

S - Little funky, farmhouse, just the faintest hint of chili, no chocolate to my noseholes. Yeasty yumminess.

T - The chocolate and chili notes are extremely subtle, yet provide a unique accent to some of the more familiar saison flavor inherent here.

M - Delightful and fizzy. Kaboom.

03-20-2011 15:50:31 | More by HeyItsChili
krisandajt

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

I was in the mood for something different, figured this one would hit the spot...

Appearance: From the bottle into my DFH Chalice, this brew is a cloudy, fizzy, golden color with a good inch worth of thick, soapy head. Retention is good, the head fades away slowly. Lacing is impressive.

Smell: Light and citrusy, a little bit of funk. Not much in the way of chocolate, but there is a slight bit of chili to it. All in all, everything is a little bit subdued, nothing is really standing out.

Taste: I'll admit, I'm a bit underwhelmed with this. The chili does stand out much more, and there's a definite sort of lemony citrus quality, but not too much else is going on. Not getting much in the way of cocoa, though I will admit the lemon and the chili do complement one another nicely. It's not what I expected, though that's not to say it isn't good.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is good, nice crisp light to medium body, pretty darn good here.

Drinkability: Not sure where to go with this one. I was expecting some cocoa and a nice hit of chili pepper, but was mildly disappointed with both. It's a fine tasting brew, I don't think I've had anything bad from Fantome, I guess I just had some preconceptions about this particular brew.

03-05-2011 01:28:50 | More by krisandajt
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

Pours a dirty, dark orange body with a large, frothy head.

Classic Saison yeasty aromas with a touch of acidity.

Starts with some lighter caramel malt notes, then earthy yeasty notes before a citrusy, acidic, tart finish. Not barnyardy, sort of an acidic funk if that makes any sense. Try as I might I cannot detect any chocolate or chili. I may get some cocoa powder mid palate, but that could be mental.

Its a shame the beer was given this name and that these ingredients are listed clearly on the bottle. If you bought this expecting to taste these flavors, you might be extremely disappointed you dropped $15 on it. That's too bad, because this is a very good Saison, its just not what it represents itself to be. I wonder why Fantome picked this beer to start mentioning ingredients. Why not stick with the mystery customers have come to expect?

Really good acidity builds as I drink. Almost Lambic like. Very interesting.

02-06-2011 23:19:50 | More by BradLikesBrew
Halcyondays

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a medium orange with a medium white head, good retention, light lace.

S: Lemon, must, some barnyard, hay, hint of chili spice.

T: Lemon dominant, very saison-like. Musty, earthy hop flavour. Chocolate is in the background with a light sweetness in the finish, with some light chili heat. The saison is the main flavour, don't think the chocolate will dominate, just a Fantome saison with a twist. The adjuncts are there, but only tease the palate when compared to the rest of the beer.

M: Mild acidity, medium-bodied, smooth, nice aftertaste.

D: Really cool beer with a lot of complexity. My favourite Fantome aside from Printemps, very well done.

02-01-2011 02:59:58 | More by Halcyondays
mmva321

Missouri

Poured into a tulip.

I'm hoping for something a little sweet here, but it just sounds like an awesome interesting idea, having a chocolate saison.

A: What I love is the color of this beer: it's a red tinted orange. These deep colors mix with a yellow amber to make a beautiful body. What is okay is the 2 finger frothy white head that has good retention and leaves a delicate lacing. What I don't like is the clear body of the beer that has just a little murkiness.

S: It's almost like a tame saison, which is really tame for Fantome. I get an earthy yeast to it along with some hop characteristics and a sweet malt that gives off some faint citrus. The chili pepper they advertise I get in the nose, but not cocoa powder. I mean, it may be there, but the whole nose is so faint, that aside from the main aromas, not a whole lot else can be discernible.

T: Okay, I get it all here. The taste is terrific. My one complaint: the lemon is very strong, a little too much, but it's unexpected and pretty unique. Weird, I was expecting a huge chocolate rush coming into this, but it is only an aftertaste to what is another unique take on a saison from this brewery. Not very funky and pretty crisp, the citrus (lemon and orange) dominate the taste along with a bright hoppiness and some yeast. The faint chili pepper gives the taste a great spiciness. I get cocoa, and just a faint amount, in the aftertaste; there is a nice smooth sweetness at the end that is a nice contrast.

Edit: I can't really get past the lemon here, it stays with me even after I swallow. If they dialed that back a little, it would be stupendous, if still a little poorly advertised.

M: Light and crisp with some faint carbonation. Not a lot a bubbly is needed here as the brightness is at full volume already.

D: Pretty insanely drinkable, everything considered. In spite of that intense lemon, it's almost a beer you could just pour down your throat. The alcohol isn't present at all, and this comes off as a nice, if somewhat intense, drink.

01-19-2011 08:01:42 | More by mmva321
domtronzero

A - Slightly hazy light orange copper with a short lived, fizzy whitish head. Little lacing.

S - Light tart lacto aroma, bready malts, and a ton of fruity apple and pear-like esters.

F/M - Sweet pils malts, light tartness, and a lot of fruity esters. Not much chocolate or cocoa at all. In fact, the only hints of it may be proof of the power of suggestion. Pretty much tastes like the standard Fantome offering. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Lingering fruity estery flavor.

D - Good, dry, fruity, tart and a little bit funky. Easy drinking and pretty tasty, but not much different than the regular Fantome Saison.

01-17-2011 03:48:02 | More by domtronzero
Mora2000

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

Very excited to try this one as I have never had a Fantome beer I didn't love.

The beer pours a hazy orange color with an off-white head. Luckily I poured carefully because there were huge chunks of yeast left in the bottom of the bottle.

The aroma is heavy on the Belgian yeast, orange citrus and possibly a little bit of cocoa. Even though I might smell cocoa, I doubt I would have detected it if not for the name of the beer. Overall, a nice aroma.

The flavor is even better than the aroma. I get a ton of orange and lemon notes as well as some Belgian yeast. The first taste is of a classic, citrusy saison. There is a nice malt character to the beer and the 8 percent alcohol is also present. I also may get a little bit of dry cocoa powder in the flavor. I detect no chile notes in the flavor. All of that being said, the best part of the beer is the acetic quality to the flavor. This beer is slightly sour and a little bit funky, making it easy to drink. The tartness reminds me of the regular Fantome Saison, but the flavor profile of this beer is completely different. Outstanding flavor overall.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very happy I got to try this one.

01-15-2011 22:56:42 | More by Mora2000
jibbyvonjibb

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Dark orange. Cloudy.
S: ~tart. Caramel. Fruity.
T: Tartness is prominent, somewhat more than most Saisons. ~Caramel. Fruit: pear. Finishes dry, fairly clean with a bit of toasty bitterness.
M: Carbonation medium, which is a bit low for Saison.
O: pleasant to drink. Hard to describe. No chocolatiness detected, or chilli spiciness for that matter, so don't focus on the name of the beer. Nevertheless, it's a very drinkable beer due to dry finish, quenching acidity, and complex flavor profile.

01-02-2011 00:54:57 | More by jibbyvonjibb
Reaper16

Alabama

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

750mL bottle served into a tulip

Pours a murky, cloudy honeyed orange color. Nothing much to say about that body; it's pretty blah. The soft, billowing white head saves the appearance score. Two fingers, with lacing for days.

Interestingly enough, the aroma on Fantome Chocolate is the most conventional of any Fantome beer I've had. It's like a more eccentric Saison Dupont. Stonefruit, apricot mostly; slightly sour. A nice minerality backed up by dirty, leafy hops. I don't get anything by way of chocolate, curiously enough (which I won't grade negatively for; even though this beer is called "Chocolate," I'm just going to rate it for whatever it is. Thus is the way of the Fantome drinker). There is a small bit of heat on the back end of the nose, which I am attributing to the chili peppers. It certainly isn't redolent of chilies, though. There's a sweet dough flavor coming from the malts, too... like a funnel cake. No funk to speak of. This is a good-smelling Saison, but it leaves something to be desired in terms of intensity or uniqueness.

It takes a full glass to begin to get a handle on this beer. Tart, somewhat spoiled, fruit flavors take the charge on the palate. Overripe oranges and cranberries and a kiss of peach. Just a small twinge of bile (in a good way). There are some hop flavors in there; just a bit of leafy bittering. Tastes like old Fuggles to me. No chocolate. I'm trying, twisting my mind to perceive anything in this flavor profile as derived from cocoa powder, but I can't place it. I thought I tasted cocoa butter one time, but I'm pretty sure I was tricking myself. There isn't much chili flavor, either. No pepper flavor. Though, about 3/4th way through the first glass, I could start to perceive the chili heat coating the back of my throat and the back tastebuds. I really like the flavor of this beer, but it's missing the phenolic flavors and funk that the best saisons also bring to the table. This flavor profile reminds me a lot of a Jolly Pumpkin farmhouse ale, so if you like Bam Biere, et al, then definitely pick this one up.

The mouthfeel is appropriately dry for a Saison. I'm glad to see it, because the one fault that I have with most of Dany Prignon's Saisons is that they have a bit too much residual sweetness for the style (on account of his artisanal use of adjuncts; you have to take the meh with the great, I guess). The drinkability is insane. That sour, spoiled fruit flavor with the intriguing slow burn from what Jesse Pinkman would lovingly refer to as "Chili P" makes for a beer that disappears rapidly. I could drink a couple of bottles of this in less than an hour (if I, you know, could afford to do that).

You crazy for this one, Dany! This is another fairly remarkable Fantome offering. To put out a beer called "chocolate" that features absolutely no chocolate flavors or aromas at all is either ballsy or an epic mistake during brewing. Regardless, this is a lovely farmhouse ale that makes up for its lessened complexity (compared to the best beers in the style) with a superb drinkability.

12-31-2010 04:51:25 | More by Reaper16