Fantôme Chocolat - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: yen157 on 01-16-2005

Ratings: 331 | Reviews: 226
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

I was in the mood for something different, figured this one would hit the spot...

Appearance: From the bottle into my DFH Chalice, this brew is a cloudy, fizzy, golden color with a good inch worth of thick, soapy head. Retention is good, the head fades away slowly. Lacing is impressive.

Smell: Light and citrusy, a little bit of funk. Not much in the way of chocolate, but there is a slight bit of chili to it. All in all, everything is a little bit subdued, nothing is really standing out.

Taste: I'll admit, I'm a bit underwhelmed with this. The chili does stand out much more, and there's a definite sort of lemony citrus quality, but not too much else is going on. Not getting much in the way of cocoa, though I will admit the lemon and the chili do complement one another nicely. It's not what I expected, though that's not to say it isn't good.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is good, nice crisp light to medium body, pretty darn good here.

Drinkability: Not sure where to go with this one. I was expecting some cocoa and a nice hit of chili pepper, but was mildly disappointed with both. It's a fine tasting brew, I don't think I've had anything bad from Fantome, I guess I just had some preconceptions about this particular brew.

Pours a dirty, dark orange body with a large, frothy head.

Classic Saison yeasty aromas with a touch of acidity.

Starts with some lighter caramel malt notes, then earthy yeasty notes before a citrusy, acidic, tart finish. Not barnyardy, sort of an acidic funk if that makes any sense. Try as I might I cannot detect any chocolate or chili. I may get some cocoa powder mid palate, but that could be mental.

Its a shame the beer was given this name and that these ingredients are listed clearly on the bottle. If you bought this expecting to taste these flavors, you might be extremely disappointed you dropped $15 on it. That's too bad, because this is a very good Saison, its just not what it represents itself to be. I wonder why Fantome picked this beer to start mentioning ingredients. Why not stick with the mystery customers have come to expect?

Really good acidity builds as I drink. Almost Lambic like. Very interesting.

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a medium orange with a medium white head, good retention, light lace.

S: Lemon, must, some barnyard, hay, hint of chili spice.

T: Lemon dominant, very saison-like. Musty, earthy hop flavour. Chocolate is in the background with a light sweetness in the finish, with some light chili heat. The saison is the main flavour, don't think the chocolate will dominate, just a Fantome saison with a twist. The adjuncts are there, but only tease the palate when compared to the rest of the beer.

M: Mild acidity, medium-bodied, smooth, nice aftertaste.

D: Really cool beer with a lot of complexity. My favourite Fantome aside from Printemps, very well done.

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a tulip.

I'm hoping for something a little sweet here, but it just sounds like an awesome interesting idea, having a chocolate saison.

A: What I love is the color of this beer: it's a red tinted orange. These deep colors mix with a yellow amber to make a beautiful body. What is okay is the 2 finger frothy white head that has good retention and leaves a delicate lacing. What I don't like is the clear body of the beer that has just a little murkiness.

S: It's almost like a tame saison, which is really tame for Fantome. I get an earthy yeast to it along with some hop characteristics and a sweet malt that gives off some faint citrus. The chili pepper they advertise I get in the nose, but not cocoa powder. I mean, it may be there, but the whole nose is so faint, that aside from the main aromas, not a whole lot else can be discernible.

T: Okay, I get it all here. The taste is terrific. My one complaint: the lemon is very strong, a little too much, but it's unexpected and pretty unique. Weird, I was expecting a huge chocolate rush coming into this, but it is only an aftertaste to what is another unique take on a saison from this brewery. Not very funky and pretty crisp, the citrus (lemon and orange) dominate the taste along with a bright hoppiness and some yeast. The faint chili pepper gives the taste a great spiciness. I get cocoa, and just a faint amount, in the aftertaste; there is a nice smooth sweetness at the end that is a nice contrast.

Edit: I can't really get past the lemon here, it stays with me even after I swallow. If they dialed that back a little, it would be stupendous, if still a little poorly advertised.

M: Light and crisp with some faint carbonation. Not a lot a bubbly is needed here as the brightness is at full volume already.

D: Pretty insanely drinkable, everything considered. In spite of that intense lemon, it's almost a beer you could just pour down your throat. The alcohol isn't present at all, and this comes off as a nice, if somewhat intense, drink.

A - Slightly hazy light orange copper with a short lived, fizzy whitish head. Little lacing.

S - Light tart lacto aroma, bready malts, and a ton of fruity apple and pear-like esters.

F/M - Sweet pils malts, light tartness, and a lot of fruity esters. Not much chocolate or cocoa at all. In fact, the only hints of it may be proof of the power of suggestion. Pretty much tastes like the standard Fantome offering. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Lingering fruity estery flavor.

D - Good, dry, fruity, tart and a little bit funky. Easy drinking and pretty tasty, but not much different than the regular Fantome Saison.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Very excited to try this one as I have never had a Fantome beer I didn't love.

The beer pours a hazy orange color with an off-white head. Luckily I poured carefully because there were huge chunks of yeast left in the bottom of the bottle.

The aroma is heavy on the Belgian yeast, orange citrus and possibly a little bit of cocoa. Even though I might smell cocoa, I doubt I would have detected it if not for the name of the beer. Overall, a nice aroma.

The flavor is even better than the aroma. I get a ton of orange and lemon notes as well as some Belgian yeast. The first taste is of a classic, citrusy saison. There is a nice malt character to the beer and the 8 percent alcohol is also present. I also may get a little bit of dry cocoa powder in the flavor. I detect no chile notes in the flavor. All of that being said, the best part of the beer is the acetic quality to the flavor. This beer is slightly sour and a little bit funky, making it easy to drink. The tartness reminds me of the regular Fantome Saison, but the flavor profile of this beer is completely different. Outstanding flavor overall.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very happy I got to try this one.

4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Dark orange. Cloudy.
S: ~tart. Caramel. Fruity.
T: Tartness is prominent, somewhat more than most Saisons. ~Caramel. Fruit: pear. Finishes dry, fairly clean with a bit of toasty bitterness.
M: Carbonation medium, which is a bit low for Saison.
O: pleasant to drink. Hard to describe. No chocolatiness detected, or chilli spiciness for that matter, so don't focus on the name of the beer. Nevertheless, it's a very drinkable beer due to dry finish, quenching acidity, and complex flavor profile.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

750mL bottle served into a tulip

Pours a murky, cloudy honeyed orange color. Nothing much to say about that body; it's pretty blah. The soft, billowing white head saves the appearance score. Two fingers, with lacing for days.

Interestingly enough, the aroma on Fantome Chocolate is the most conventional of any Fantome beer I've had. It's like a more eccentric Saison Dupont. Stonefruit, apricot mostly; slightly sour. A nice minerality backed up by dirty, leafy hops. I don't get anything by way of chocolate, curiously enough (which I won't grade negatively for; even though this beer is called "Chocolate," I'm just going to rate it for whatever it is. Thus is the way of the Fantome drinker). There is a small bit of heat on the back end of the nose, which I am attributing to the chili peppers. It certainly isn't redolent of chilies, though. There's a sweet dough flavor coming from the malts, too... like a funnel cake. No funk to speak of. This is a good-smelling Saison, but it leaves something to be desired in terms of intensity or uniqueness.

It takes a full glass to begin to get a handle on this beer. Tart, somewhat spoiled, fruit flavors take the charge on the palate. Overripe oranges and cranberries and a kiss of peach. Just a small twinge of bile (in a good way). There are some hop flavors in there; just a bit of leafy bittering. Tastes like old Fuggles to me. No chocolate. I'm trying, twisting my mind to perceive anything in this flavor profile as derived from cocoa powder, but I can't place it. I thought I tasted cocoa butter one time, but I'm pretty sure I was tricking myself. There isn't much chili flavor, either. No pepper flavor. Though, about 3/4th way through the first glass, I could start to perceive the chili heat coating the back of my throat and the back tastebuds. I really like the flavor of this beer, but it's missing the phenolic flavors and funk that the best saisons also bring to the table. This flavor profile reminds me a lot of a Jolly Pumpkin farmhouse ale, so if you like Bam Biere, et al, then definitely pick this one up.

The mouthfeel is appropriately dry for a Saison. I'm glad to see it, because the one fault that I have with most of Dany Prignon's Saisons is that they have a bit too much residual sweetness for the style (on account of his artisanal use of adjuncts; you have to take the meh with the great, I guess). The drinkability is insane. That sour, spoiled fruit flavor with the intriguing slow burn from what Jesse Pinkman would lovingly refer to as "Chili P" makes for a beer that disappears rapidly. I could drink a couple of bottles of this in less than an hour (if I, you know, could afford to do that).

You crazy for this one, Dany! This is another fairly remarkable Fantome offering. To put out a beer called "chocolate" that features absolutely no chocolate flavors or aromas at all is either ballsy or an epic mistake during brewing. Regardless, this is a lovely farmhouse ale that makes up for its lessened complexity (compared to the best beers in the style) with a superb drinkability.

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%

Had at Ebenezer's in Lovell, ME.

A: Hazy (unfiltered) golden in color with a finger thick white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Has a major yeast smell to it with a bit of citrus hops as well.

T: Taste is very sour and has the serious yeast flavor to it, as expected by the scent.

M: Medium bodied with above average carbonation.

D: Saison is not my favorite style and this was not my favorite Saison. It has a very sour taste to it which just wasn't for me.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

poured a hazy pale golden yellow with a nice finger of head nad left lots of bubbly lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was just pretty much funky, oaky, some spice,and earthy herbal notes but no chili of chocolate chracter to speak of. The chocolate and chili was also pretty much absent on the palate as well but did have the signature fatome funk tart flavor alongside herbal, earthy, oaky accents. The brew was light to medium in body with a high amount of carbonation which had a funky, oaky, earthy, and tart finish. It actually drank decent but totally wished it would have had more chocoalte character all around. Oh well can't win them all.

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

A: This poured a cloudy copper with moderate white head. Surprisingly light.
S: It smelled like strong lager yeast with some grassy hops. No chocolate detectable.
T: It tasted like very tart and dry herbal hops (grass and dandelions) with sour lager yeast. It had a super sour aftertaste too. Like a spiced Heineken saison. Definitely no chocolate.
M: It was light and very bubbly, almost like champagne.
D: This was a decent sour saison, but I really couldn't figure out why it's called Chocolat. Very bitter and sour and tart, with no sweetness. The yeast didn't seem right either, and added a sour element that made it difficult to drink. An interesting experience, but probably not worth the purchase price.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

A: Light hay colored. Hints of light orange / dark yellow colors. White head on the body with no haze.

S: German lager yeast with some Belgian hints. No hints of cocoa as promised. Not even some chili pepper that was described.

T: Bitter herbal / vegetarian taste. Grassy / herbal flavors like dandelion, salad herbs,

M: Good mouthfeel. Very similar to a Belgian triplel. Good carbonation and medium viscosity.

D: Moderately drinkable. Flavor doesn't match up to the description, though.

2.89/5  rDev -22.5%

A: Gorgeous hazy pear with particles that hardly settle, a thin sheen of a white head that almost seems like an afterthought of the haze (the gradient of color from the top to bottom is perfect), and some brown yeast floaters inside.

S: Strong, almost cloying, sweaty and sticky apple flavor.

T: Astringent and grassy hops followed by a strange, sour, funky citrus bite. I can't taste either the cacao powder or chili powder that well, but I can certainly feel it in the heartburn later.

M: Medium bodied with decent carbonation and juiciness.

D: I honestly wish I could rate this one better (as you can see, the ratings for the categories are all over the place); the appearance made me expect a fantastic beer, but the taste and smell just didn't really cut it, especially for a Belgian brew. I'm still convinced that cacao and chili can't work in anything except a heavy porter or stout.

3.62/5  rDev -2.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a murky golden color into my tulip. Short white head that lingers on for a bit of time. The nose brings some grass and floral characteristics plus a bit of light cocoa. None of the chili really seems to make its way into the nose. The taste brings a slight spicing and faint hints of chocolate.

The feel brings a bit of the chili and it just doesn't meld all that well with the body and other characteristics of the beer. A bit strange--even for Fantome--and was something that I didn't need more than a few ounces of.

4.57/5  rDev +22.5%

i had the intention of having this beer with thai food. in the end i ended up just sitting there and taking out half the bottle in about five minutes seeing as it was so refreshing.

pour was surprisingly plain looking seeing as i was expecting more chocolate in the note. it was actually on the bright orange yellow side with a pretty substantial amount of cloudiness. not nose was like that of a perfectly ripe grapefruit. a tad sweet a tad glassy bitter. the palate was that exactly with a nice sour funk and straw malty quality. the funk was like mild Gorgonzola with a hay backing... the sour was minimal and didn't embellish the bitter kicker. the bitter was bright to say the least. most hay like and dandelion greens. the cocoa was a mild sour bitter at the end. like that of baking chocolate. completely black chocolate and ever so subtle. the beer was a tad warm on the throat but nothing to over done. very delicate. this is on the way to become a really wonderful beer. i say this just because i feel the recipe has less chocolate in it now judging by the posted picture. less smokey twang. bottle was done in about 12 minutes. fantastic feel and carbonation. goes well with food... if you can keep it open long enough.

4.06/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle from Beer Mania, Brussels. Opened around 55 degrees. First time opening a bottle that requires an opener, and a wine corker! also one of the first gushers Ive ever had. I lost quite a bit of this beer down the sink :(

A: Bottle gushed into my Lucifer goblet. head is huge, retention is amazing and lacing is all over the place. body is the definition of cloudy. spices and yeast everywhere. final pour had sipces and yeast on the head even.

S: This beer is called chocolat, but where is it? Certainly not in the nose. This beer however has tones of funk and spice.

T: The heat does build up slightly as you drink, however this is one complex beer. tangy and slightly sour, a slight coca taste, and flowery suggestions.

M: gently carbonated, thin-medium body, not sticky at all.

D: a very easy beer to drink. hides the alcohol like a champ. Probably the best %8 ever in that regard for me.

Well done Fantome, hope I get the chance to drink more in the future.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

750ml green bottle.

A: Light golden in color, slightly cloudy, nice firm carbonation, one finger lasting head.

S: Barnyard smell, grass, crystal malt, spices (pepper, coriander)

T: Crisp clean saison, rich fruit and spice, clean crisp malt base, alcohol is hidden very well.

M: Starts off crisp stings the tongue, faint presence of heat in
end.

D: Very nice beer, one big bottle in teh heat if the summer with some grilled chicken.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Love that ghost.

Stowaway yeast makes Chocolat look like muddy water albiet with a fluffy white head. Decent retention and a few lacey dribbles.

Fruity and funky lead the aromatic charge with some chili powder. I'm picking up faint carob powder but I think that's just because I want it there.

Fruity funk again leads the way with pear and tart apple sauce. The chili pepper and cocoa powder give a Mexican hot chocolate impression.

I'm not a fan and I don't know if it's because I was looking for more of a chocolate prominent dessert beer or maybe I just don't know what to do with it. It's like Rogues Chipotle Ale (but not really) done over by a mad scientist.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber with some bright orange highlights, capped by two and a half fingers of billowing egg-shell colored head. Retention is good as it recedes ever so slowly, leaving plenty of sticky lacing in its wake.

S: Strong funk up front with a musty tone to it, along with yeasty notes and a noticeable level of spice from the chili peppers. Some lemon zest and light tartness in the background. Faint cocoa becomes evident as it warms.

T: Tart lemons up front with some pear character mixed in. Musty funk with peppery spice and some slightly sweetened chiles come in the mid-palate before giving way to lemon zest and yeast. Lingering spice from the peppers in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, feels a bit too watery at times.

D: The funk and spice keep it from being super drinkable but considering what it is, it goes down fairly easy. Dany may not always make perfect beers, but I'll be damned if they're not interesting.

2.89/5  rDev -22.5%

750 ml bottl into my Rochefort glass. I really like to be constructive in my reviews, but I'll just start out by saying this beer is no good and needs to be avoided...Pours an ugly light watery looking honey gold, two fingers of head, ok retention and lacing...The aroma has cocoa powderon the front, lots of floral hops light. There is a chili pepeer finish that is really generic and comes acros really bad giving it a stale skunky aroma...The taste is really bad, it loses all the chocolate and is just a really weird musky, stale, chili. Sour in the worst ways, with heat in the middle.

A combination that should not be tried in a saison, stay away from this.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

My friend just got back from NYC again and as usual she brought a nice bounty. This was one of the nice surprises to come a long.

A- Not a dark saison like I was expecting. Its a cloudy, dirty yellow color. Typical big white head from Fantome.

S- Weird, but good. Funkier than many other Fantome saisons. A sweetness that I cant pinpoint, some pepperiness, lemon.

T- Weird again. Chocolate is barely tasted. I think the cocoa really just adds to the mouthfeel, drying it out with a powdery finish. Peppers are definitely tasted along with citrus and funky yeast.

M- Dry with a powdery finish. Like cocoa powder.

3.87/5  rDev +3.8%

Had to remove a bottle cap and pull a cork to get at the amber-colored ale. A nice head arose to two fingers and lasted about half a minute before falling back to 1/4". The beer was pretty clear until I poured the lees into the glass and then it remained very hazy.

Smells sour and musty, like a horse blanket. Orange and spice also greet the nose. All of this translates into the taste, but a bit more subdued. Not nearly as sour as I was hoping, but there is an acrid feel in your mouth. I didn't get much by the way of chocolate or chilies, unless the acrid mouthfeel is a result of the peppers. I'm having trouble telling if the sweetness is from the malts or from the chocolate. I am also reminding myself that Belgian chocolate is different from American, Mexican, British and Swiss chocolate. It's creamier and more subtle. Even so, I can't make it out.

Despite the acridness, I found myself drinking this one pretty quickly. I've heard great things about this brewery, but also that their beer can vary batch to batch and even bottle to bottle. So I'll definitely be trying more.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

750ml bottle from K&L.

Pours hazy golden in color with a huge bubbly white head.

The aroma is pretty nice, typical Fantome funk, a little lemony with mild spice.

Flavor is weird but solid. Slight chocolate along with lots of citrus fruits, pepper, a little cocoa, barnyard yeasty funk. Fairly tart. A slight hint of ghost p***y.

Soft but high carbonation with medium body and mild acidity.

Better than I expected overall. Drinkable, especially for the ABV.

2.14/5  rDev -42.6%

Thanks for sharing this one Richard. You've definitely stepped your game up on sharing crappy beers.

A: The pour is a nice amber color with an initially voluminous but soon thin off-white head.

S: Can you say skunked? Lots of skunk which I debated whether or not was just Fantome funk, and decided on nay. Slightly spiced and sweet.

T: Luckily, not as skunky on the palate. Earthy hops, some light lemon tartness, spices, and a really out of place sweetness, might be some milk chocolate.

M: The mouthfeel is probably the best thing about this beer. Light to medium in body with a lively and crisp carbonation.

D: Dear brewers, chocolate and Saisons do not go together (see: Fantome Chocolat and Bullfrog Magic Beans). This was not good.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Thanks, Nick.

Pours a beautiful hazy blond with a large sustaining white head.

Bizarre aroma, signature Fantome; spicy, peppery and yeasty. There's a touch of sourness and funk, a little grain. I don't pick up any chocolate.

Tart and grainy, pale malt barely supports the intense yeast and spice flavors. Peppery, tart, lemony, there's a hint of chocolate and faint heat. Light-bodied, very refreshing and quaffable. Very good.

Fantôme Chocolat from Brasserie Fantôme