2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme De Noel - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme De NoelFantôme De Noel

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-03-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 528 | Reviews: 342 | Show All Ratings:
garbercury

1.53/5  rDev -61%

Must preface that I am a huge proponent of Fantome, one of my favorite breweries so it pains me to slam one of his beers...

A---Dark hue, reddish tint, plenty of carbonation with this one.

S---Indicative of what is to come, smelled like bad tomatoes.

T---Terrible, like bad tomato soup with chestnut flavoring added for extra shock value.

M---Fine, I guess.

D---This beer is truly a terrible, twenty dollar drain pour. I am hopeful, based on reading other's reviews, that I got a bad bottle. Honestly the worst beer I have tasted in a long time.

06-09-2010 02:12:50 | More by garbercury
crnipeter

Slovenia

1.53/5  rDev -61%

750 ml into tulip. Back-label promises an experience by saying "Brewer Dany Prignon is known for his....creative and adventurous brews."
Pours spuming, deep amber hazy body topped by instantly dissipating ivory head. A saison should pour long lasting, dense head but obviously not this one. Fruity esters lacking aroma is completely overwhelmed by dominant sourness with spiciness I couldn't tell whether derived from hops, yeast phenolics or actual spices used. Light malt and evident spicy alcohol. The flavor is supposed to be citrusy fruity esters and spiciness wrapped in soft malt with additional sourness and alcohol. Instead, the sourness is overpowering, followed by somewhat peppery and nutmeg-like spiciness. Well attenuated malt and high carbonation lend dry finish with spicy aftertaste. Fruity esters and hoppy bitterness I was expecting are largely ignored here. Although spiciness and sourness of saison beers commonly increase with alcohol strength they are overdone, regardless of the 10% ABV. Fantome Noel is a proof that adventurousness and creativity are not necessarily a good thing.

In short: a one-dimensional saison whose sourness and spiciness dominate in the balance.

01-07-2011 18:23:32 | More by crnipeter
doubleipa

Georgia

1.63/5  rDev -58.4%

This had to be a baaaad bottle, but I'll rate anyway. I was so looking forward to having this on Christmas Day. What a dissapointment. The appearance was wonderful: creamy head that was mostly lasting. Nice dark color. The aroma was absolutley awful. Cider, soap. more cider, and cardboard. I knew it was bad at that point. I'm nut sure how the bottle went bad. There was plenty of pop when I took the cork out and plenty of carbonation. I hope I can get another bottle and update this review as I love most all Fantome beers.

01-04-2007 17:21:15 | More by doubleipa
Zorro

1.65/5  rDev -57.9%

Darkest Saison that I have ever seen.

Pours a dark brown almost black beer with a tall light brown head.

Smell is tart grape juice and cork.

Taste is sour. Very lambic like and seriously sour. I couldn't drink more than two mouthfuls of this. I checked the other reviews and this is supposed to be a sour beer.

Mouthfeel is vinegar.

Pure crap in a bottle, a very expensive drain pour beer.

05-22-2006 00:18:47 | More by Zorro
akorsak

1.85/5  rDev -52.8%

I am drinking a 750 mL bottle poured into the Chimay goblet. The ale has been in the fridge for only about 1/2 an hour, so it is cool, but not cold.

Appearance: Once again, Brasserie Fantôme confounds me. This beer looks nothing like what I expect a saison to look like. Instead it is a deep ruby red color. It poured with vigourous head, but the head did not last long and it certainly left no hint of lace.

Smell: The ale has a roasted aroma to it. There is also an aroma that approximates a Flemish sour ale (think Rodenbach). I think that that sour smell seals the deal that it is a saison (as the color completely threw me for a loop).

Taste: While Brasserie Fantôme often creates sublime brilliance, they just as often create an ale that is barely drinkable. They have done the latter here. More than any other ale (including spiced tripels), this ale tastes of fresh ground black pepper. The yeast provides a bit of wild flavor to go against that pepper but it is not enough.

Mouthfeel: The ale's unusual concoction of flavors does not translate into a pleasant tasting ale.

Drinkability: I don't like it and do not recommend it. Stick to Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme. The other offerings will more likely than not disappoint you.

**EDIT**: After finishing my review, I realized that the beer tastes terrible and I ended up dumping 60% of the bomber down the sink. Based on this, mouthfeel and drinkability fell from 2.0 and 2.5, respectively, down to 1.0 for each.

03-26-2006 02:22:26 | More by akorsak
mttaylor1066

Connecticut

2.05/5  rDev -47.7%

Well, if you like gueze, you might like this 2010 version of fantome de Noel. I was expecting a saison.

But for me, this isn't a beer that I can finish. It is sour and funky with the aftertaste of lemon peel. Tastes like a mix of old and fresh Belgian lambics.

I guess you have to be in the mood to enjoy a beer like this. I doubt I will ever be in that mood.

02-16-2011 23:10:51 | More by mttaylor1066
donkeyrunner

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%

Muddy caramel color with a large, frothy, sand colored head. Head melts like Frosty in July and leaves only a spitwad skim floating around my glass.

Brown bread, anis, and raisin German stollen aroma. Messy.

Tastes as messy as it smells. Anis, bruised MacIntosh apple and not much else. Thin, fizzy mouthfeel wipes the palette too quickly.

I've come to expect engrossing, complex masterpieces from Fantome. This is a bummer.

12-26-2011 22:03:02 | More by donkeyrunner
oceanside

2.2/5  rDev -43.9%

They only thing I have to say is it had a taste akin to sucking on dirty pennies. There were many other flavors but after every sip I would get a strong metallic flavor. The cork crumbled when trying to open this bottle and I don't know if this had an impact on the taste or if the bottle was just simply bad. For me it was a great disappointment because it was my first fantome and it was a holiday beer to boot.

01-16-2014 19:14:47 | More by oceanside
bigfnjoe

2.33/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a corked bottle into a Dogfish snifter. Merry Christmas!

A- pours a dark, murky shade of amber with a paper thin offwhite head that quickly fades away to nothingness. Well...that's a very disappointing start. Just an ugly looking beer with no head at all.

S- nice aroma of grapes comes through, but not much more than that. Again, disappointing...I expect more nuance from Fantome

T- very one dimensional. Some light grape and apple, and not much else at all. Disappointing

M- flat as a board. Thin bodied. Dammit.

O- this one went down the drain after a few sips. Flat and bland is no way to go through life

12-25-2012 20:52:36 | More by bigfnjoe
yelterdow

2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

Served in a Duvel tulip at several degrees above fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a clear, raisiny brown with a reddish hue beneath. Off-white to light tan head, 1" thick at first... settling to a foamy rim.

Smell- Initial sour cherry funk laced with brett... wild and funky yeast notes. Sweet garbage. Old musty barn. Rotting perishables. Some alcohol presence. Yuck.

Taste- Bitter, rotten, rancid fruit and old food... this could damn well be what brewing first tasted like 1000 years ago. Lemon, old funky fruit. While I respect the interpretation of the style, this is not at all appealing to me.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Average carbonation gives out early in the tasting, while the viscosity does nothing for the unpleasant array of aromas and taste. Not recommended.

12-27-2005 03:40:51 | More by yelterdow
MasterSki

2.42/5  rDev -38.3%

Got this in a BIF a few years back from mymrnngjckt. Unknown vintage, but it's 2008 or earlier. There's a pristine best before portion on the label that ends at 2012. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

A - A finger-plus of dark tan foam settles to a thin cap and thick collar, but no lace. Brown body with some amber highlights when held to the light.

S - Hmm...this is pretty bad. Vinegar, cork, oxidation, some musk and sweat, odd herbs and minerals.

T - Taste is not as complex, but instead features a delightful blend of mlld sourness, cardboard, phenolics, and minerals. Some of the advertised spruce is still present, imparting a minty character.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium-full body with perhaps a touch of grain to it. Pleasant carbonation, and well-hidden alcohol.

D - I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, seeing as it is Fantôme. Perhaps someone will open a delicious bottle of this beer next week - who knows? In any case, this was pretty terrible.

11-28-2011 22:56:15 | More by MasterSki
jmarsh123

Indiana

2.45/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours a murky red orange with a reddish head.

Smells of strong spices, some raisins and bready graininess. A little bit of tartness as well.

Flavor somewhat follows although everything kind of seems disjointed. Spices seem to fight with the normal grainy funky flavors.

A bit too light with a bit too much carbonation.

Some good stuff is present here, but this beer is very confusing. The flavors don't work especially well together.

01-02-2012 17:14:13 | More by jmarsh123
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

This beer is a disappointment, especially considering how much I've liked other beers by Fantome. It's disgustingly dry, remniscient of a gin. The beer looks nice, but that's about all it has going for it.

It pours to a nutty brown color with amber hues. Fairly cloudy from all the residuals and sediment. Nice thick off-white foam. Very little lacing.

From the smell I could tell that I wouldn't like this beer. Has a very dry and tart sourness to the nose. Light hints of sweet malt and candi sugar, but it even smells incredibly dry and funky.

As I suspected, it's so dry that it barely seems to have a taste. Has a bit of a rasberry vinegar tartness to it as well, but that's as far as the flavor seems to come out. Too funky for my tastes.

The body is very dry and thus seems to be very light. No hint of the 10% alcohol. I don't think I'll ever try this beer again.

05-21-2006 02:55:11 | More by neonbrown82
harrymel

Washington

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

Unknown lot (no notches)

pours a good looking dark garnet with brown hues. A fine light latte foam sits atop. Fleeting sheets of lace fall. I'm smelling apple skins, nutty yeast, some nougat and a little metal.

The flavor follows with a bit more of the yeasty character and a hint of a raisin layer. A relatively doughy character, the beer is really yeasty. Even the mouthfeel is heavy, but with excessive carbonation and a dry finish.

This beer is interesting, but I'm likely not to purchase a second bottle. I've only had one other Fantome, and that was fantastic, but this one is not impressing me.

01-07-2012 09:04:00 | More by harrymel
ehammond1

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

Bottle (2010?)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

(Aged for...1+ - 3 years)

One of the prettier Fantomes. A slightly hazed light copper or dark amber in color with a very persistent, large-bubbled light khaki head. Somewhat sticky lines of stick left down the glass. A pretty, darker saison.

Fairly nice aroma, though it also seems fairly standard for Fantome (which is a good thing). Wet, freshly cut grass, along with some faded dark fruit character, a bit of an earthy, outside barnyard yeast character, and some dry hay.

The flavor, unfortunately, does not follow the aroma. Highly bitter, lots of smoke, some plastic, lots of sharp cinnamon, and asphalt/drag strip are all present notes here. I don't know how else to describe the strange things I'm tasting. Though, perhaps there's a touch of dark fruit.

Medium bodied with fairly high carbonation, though there are strange, sandy, solid elements to this brew. Not good.

I'm not going to be able to get through much of this guy. Though to it's credit, this beer does look and smell nice!

05-08-2013 01:03:38 | More by ehammond1
badbeer

Iowa

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

Dark brown with red hues, tan colored head with very good retention and lacing. In the aroma I got old grass clippings, green beans, some slight spice, and maybe a little fruitiness as it warmed. Same characteristics in the taste, except there was none of the fruitiness. Just wasn't good, would not seek this out.

07-18-2008 00:20:10 | More by badbeer
TurdFurgison

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

Loving Fantome beers as I do, this was a disappointing review to write. From a 750mL bottle, corked and capped, with smudges indicating best by Dec 2011 (I'm guessing this means it was brewed 1 year ago). The beer is dark orange, a reddish tint, clear with some fine floaties, thin frothy layer that never quite dissipates. The aroma was an immediate turn-off, it smelled more like an American barleywine than any other saison from Fantome. As different as each Fantome beer can be, they generally have shared some common DNA. This one just doesn't seem related to the others at all. Lots of caramel malt, some spice but not much, possibly only the bare minimum of hops based on smell. The taste is just the same, spiced barleywine. Probably the most unacceptable aspect to me was the thin mouthfeel, although that's unfair as the taste is really objectionable to me as well. By far this is my least favorite from the brewery. If you can try only one Fantome beer, let it NOT be this one.

12-25-2009 23:55:27 | More by TurdFurgison
Alieniloquium

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

Bottle poured into a CCB snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark amber body. Small off white head, but no retention.

Smell - Yeasty. A little funky. Overpowered by booze and caramel malts, though. Just seems really big for a saison. None of the delicate aromas are coming through.

Taste - Bready and yeasty immediately. Sweet and boozy as I drink it. Again, it's lost some of the saison qualities because of the sweet malts and alcohol. Sweet and slightly sour finish. Interesting, but not redeeming.

Mouthfeel - Thick, not saison-ish. Not what I was looking for when I opened this beer. The sweet and sour finish becomes more off-putting as I drink it.

Overall - Not a good offering from Fantome. I don't get any spices, which I imagine this Christmas saison is supposed to have.

07-15-2012 16:45:54 | More by Alieniloquium
larryi86

Delaware

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter

A- A clear red/brown color with a very small white head the disappears quickly.

S- Tart fruits, dark fruits, caramel malts, sugar, some funk, some spices.

T- A mess, funky with a hint of vinegar in the finish, tartness and fruit from the nose are muted, some spices, 10% ABV is very well hidden. Just a mess of muted flavors that are not coming together.

M- Light to medium body, low carbonation.

O- I feel that I might have gotten a bad bottle. This is the first beer I have had from Fantôme and it was not a good one. This is a very expensive drain pour but it will not stop me from trying more from Fantôme. Still not undrinkable, but for the money it cost I feel that it should be much, much better.

12-25-2011 03:41:42 | More by larryi86
HaysAmerica

Kansas

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from the 750ml bottle w/ no bottling or best by date into a Boulevard Saison glass. Pours a slightly like a tea color, sweet tea red w/ a slightly off white head that fades moderately. Stripes of burnt orange on the lateral of the glass.

Nose is some mixture of dark fruit & spice mix. Kinda like plums. This reminds more of a Tripel than a Saison. Bready, yeast, raisin come to mind as well. Something of citrus hops. This will sound very odd, but it reminds me of smelling a black magic marker!

Taste is not what I expected. Sweet, pretty darn sweet. Plum & alcohol. This has it right up front. This is drinking much more like a Tripel than any Saison I've ever had. I wonder what the hell mixture of spices went into this. Has a decent enough hop character to it - not overly citrusy. But again, this is drinking like a Tripel. Has a very sweet & easy finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to medium thick. The alcohol is pretty well evident & adds a warming effect that would go well w/ the winter months. I'm just having a really hard time thinkig this is a Saison. Drinkability is medium at best for me. This is just a little too sweet. I'd like to taste a bit more of hops to balance this out. I don't know what the heck was used for the grain bill but this just doesn't really taste like a Saison. I'd pass on this if it came around again. Either way I'm glad I got to try it, not happy though that it cost me $15 though. Prosit!

07-01-2011 23:57:20 | More by HaysAmerica
mindspin315

2.98/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Glowing amber body and a small amount of head as it was poured but has settled to almost nothing. Carbonation streaming up the glass and moving all across the top like a mini whirlpool.

Big sour sweetness hits the nose right away. Medicinal tart fruit, peppery yeast spice/funky barnyard notes, and red wine vinegar.

Tart apples, plums, apple cider vinegar come out in the start. Red grapes, funk, must, dirt/soil, and raisins. Apple cider flavors and the mouthfeel is chalky like cider. Finishes with a candy like sweetness on the lips, spices from the yeast, and pretty dry sour aftertaste with a bready dough flavor. Alcohol is note detectable at all.

The aromas did not make me feel I was going to enjoy this beer all that much, but it was better than expected. Flavors/mouthfeel are a bit disconjointed though. Being pulled in multiple directions. To me this is not one of Fantome's better offerings. For some odd reason I want to buy another bottle of this, but will be moving onto some other Belgian holiday beers that I'd much rather drink or have yet to try.

[73/100]

12-13-2011 07:14:32 | More by mindspin315
BeefyMee

Connecticut

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I served a 750ml bottle of this at Christmas dinner with the early courses of shrimp cocktail, antipasto, and stuffed clams.

Appearance: It looked pretty good after the pour, dark but not extremely so, and I was looking forward to tasting it.

Smell: The smell was the best thing about this beer. There was some fruitiness but also a substantial malt aroma that I found pleasing.

Taste: Sour. Fruity. Big letdown. Others at the table were drinking Cold Duck, which I found to have a somewhat comparable taste. The 10% alcohol did not come through very much. I think this is because the sour fruitiness is so strong.

A drinkable dinner beer but not something I enjoyed very much. The alcohol is pretty much hidden but watch out, that phantom will sneak up behind you. Not a bad beer; just not for me. Either this is your thing or it's not.

12-25-2003 04:57:05 | More by BeefyMee
Guinness4me

Since I've not tried this style of beer before, I'll try to keep my negative comments to a minimum. I'm sure Fantome makes a great product and this brew could be indicative of its style, so I kept my ratings at a fair "average".

The beer poured a dark porter-like color, dark and mysterious, with little head and a bit of settlement at the bottom of my tulip glass.

The smell? Musty, sour, hoppy and a bit malty. I have an antique mohair teddy bear that smells just like it.

The taste was as musty and sour as the smell. My hubby tried to help: "Take bigger gulps...don't sip it!" followed by "It's better as it warms...really!" Again, I won't rate it poorly since it might be the style, but to me it was like slightly carbonated malt vinegar and grain alcohol.

The almost sharp mouthfeel is odd as well. My throat tries to close as it hits the back of my tongue. I'm getting hives.

I'll force this one down in the name of Beer Advocacy.

12-13-2004 00:19:13 | More by Guinness4me
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

A: ruddy brown/copper color, slight haze, poured with creamy head that dissipated to a thin veil
S: very mild, earthy nose
T: deep roasted malt with strong bitter finish that is a bit acridic and out of place, however, toned down a bit after first few sips
M: nice roasted malt in beginning that finished with strong off-balance bitter/acridic tasted that toned down after a while, yeast and spices

01-29-2012 17:33:25 | More by wisrarebeer
libertygrails

Oregon

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a capped and corked 1 PT 9,4 FL.OZ. dinner bottle into a vintage Schlitz "The Beer that made Milwaukee Famous" goblet. One of 4 i recently found in a local Flea Market.

Appearance: Winey, hazel brown color, minimal head, spare carbonation.

Nose: Malty, fruit cake, alcohol

Palate: Tobacco, coffee, cinnamon/all spice, yeasty/bready, dried fruits, figs, faint Merlot-esque notes.

Mouthfeel/Finish: Somewhat light and flat.

Drinkability: This is one to share and get other opinions.

Overall, a wee bit underwhelmed with this Ale. In fact, i've been somewhat ambivalent with the majority of Fantome product i've tried so far. My fave being the Hiver so far. I guess i should have reviewed that one, but was entertaining company at the time. I'm still on the Quest for one that knocks me out.

03-30-2008 06:09:38 | More by libertygrails