Fantôme Brise-BonBons - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 06-11-2005

Ratings: 337 | Reviews: 177
2.48/5  rDev -38.8%

Thanks to sweemzander for the hookup here. I've never seen this particular Fantome in Oregon but apparently Chicagoland has a few on the shelves. In typical Fantome style, no date was notched on the side of the bottle so I really have no idea when this was brewed. 750ml bottle poured into a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Pale translucent gold body, big fluffy white head, spotty lacing. 4/5

S: Interesting nose. Funk, sour, lemon, skunk. 3.5/5

T: Definite Belgian saison yeast. Heavy on the cloves with a splash of banana. Fairly bitter as expected, skunked hop character is less than enjoyable. That might be my fault for keeping it in my fridge for a few months though. Grassiness and minimal animal bedding add some curiosity. 2/5

M: Semi-heavy, sticky, not great. 2/5

O: By far not my favorite Fantome. This one has faults at virtually every turn. Glad to try it, but next time I'll make a point to try it fresher. 2/5

4.82/5  rDev +19%

I'm finally getting around to reviewing this beer. I've had two bottles and each was incredibly delicious.

Pours a hazy golden brown with an average head. The core is a darker brown than the edges of the beer. The head foams moderately and disappears after a while.

Smelling this beer is almost as enjoyable as drinking it. At about 50 degrees farenheit it has a pleasant herbaceous hop scent to it with a bit of floral sweetness. As it warms toward room temperature, I get more smells. The herbaceous hops are still there, but they are joined by honey, bubblegum, lavender, and a hint of fennel. A great combination with no funkiness whatsoever.

Taste is a perfect balance of moderate herbaceous hops and the sweetness from the honey and floral malt character. Both tastes assert themselves and neither overpowers the other.

Mouthfeel is silky, thick, and slick.

Very drinkable. Too bad this is probably the last I'll see of this beer for a while.

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to sweemzander for opening this one.

(A) Cloudy yellow that turns a bit more golden toward the top. It has a big foamy white head on it that lasts for a long while.

(S) Has a lot of citrus to it. There is a bit of mild spice. Almost has a sourness to it.

(T) What stands out the most is lemon zest. There are some spices but I can't pick out what exactly they are. Other citric notes linger and there is a faint hop aftertaste.

(M) It's a pretty thin beer and ends quite dry. Hit and gone.

(O) The bottle mentioned there were a lot of hops but it's not too big on hops. It's quite refreshing and is a drier/thinner saison.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A fizzy golden yellow (leaning toward orange) saison with a one and a half finger high bubbly head. Not as hazy as Saison's often are, pretty damn clear in fact. Periodically beads of carbonation shoot up to the surface.

The nose is funky with lemon, apricot, pepper and some coriander tones. A bit winey or cidery.

A wonderfully complex taste. The hops are present...grassy...though this beer is nowhere near a bitter as it's "ball breaker" name proposes it to be. Lemony, fruity, some pear, green apple, perhaps a very little bit of mellon. A bit sour and acidic...these are such great food beers.

Soft medium mouthfeel with a slight pinch from the carbonatoin.

Another amazing creation from the Fantome Brewery. God do I love the beers he makes

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours straw yellow with a moderate fluffy white head. have read about the photosensitivity of this beer, hope it isn't damaged. from nose, I am OK - very peppery, spcy, with a strong background of typical fantome barnyard nose, hay, leather, organics. Very appetizing nose from this beer.

taste is a bit smaller than expected, very peppery (a very common spicy taste in this man's beers), with the pepper actually dominating into the finish, keeping more restrained barnyard/saison-type character in the background completely. It is there, but heavily understated in this beer. overall aftertaste fades very quickly.

overall very nice, peppery fantome beer, but to me it seems a bit understated.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle consumed @ The Publick House in Brookline, MA 1/5/06. Poured into oversided wine glasses.

This is a wonderful beer. I smell and taste sour apples, with spiciness. Unlike other saisons, it is less of a peppery spiciness and more of a cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger taste. In a way, it is almost like apple pie. It is very complex and very full-bodied. It is a long-sipping beer, but definitely worth seeking out.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours out an amber color. Transparent body with a cloudy just off white head. Carbonation can be seen floating up through this. Also leaves chunks of head to the glass. A grassy, wheat smell with some sour notes reminiscent of muscadine grapes and soda water. So I think this is supposed to be the Belgium version of Arrogant Bastard. It has the grassy/earthy feel I associate with Belgians, but a huge kick of bitterness in this one. It really isn't a hop bitterness. It tastes more like spices or char. It is an interesting beer. My only complaint is that it could be a little more balanced. Crisp and clean mouthfeel, no alcohol kick to it. Something I could enjoy year round.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance – 750 ml bottle from Colonial Spirits poured into an oversized wine glass. Relatively clear yellow on the first pour, closer to cloudy golden by the last pour, with a thin white head that leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell – Barnyard, cherries, pears, dates, toasted malts, and a big punch on earthy hops, what an amazing, complex smell. This has lots of dark fruit aromas from such a light colored beer.

Taste – Definite strong bitterness as the label describes, but it is far from overpowering particularly to my double IPA loving taste buds. The flavor is not as complex as the smell, but it still has a lot going on, toasted malts, some tartness, lots of earthy hops, and some fruit.

Mouthfeel – Medium light with a healthy dose of carbonation. The mouthfeel complements the flavor well, making the bitterness strong, but not lasting.

Drinkability & Notes – Easy to drink particularly after you stop noticing the bitterness half way through the bottle. Fantome at their best, this beer is truly unique and tasty.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours murky, surprisingly opaque considering I've had it for over a week without disturbing it. Dull yellow/orange body with a large fluffy white head that recedes gradually, eventually leaving just a ring of foam around the beer. Lacing trickles in strands down the glass.

The smell is super dry and spicy lemon zest, a bit musty. Bitter orange peel and grapefruit. Very citrusy and grassy. Yeast and hops dominate.

The flavor begins with sweet citrus flavors, slightly tart but not sour. This is rounded off with a significant amount of bitterness (for a Belgian ale) and finishes dry and yeasty. Though I'm describing flavors that are easy to pin down...I feel like I can't quite go in depth enough...this beer is extremely unique even by Fantôme standards. I also get unique raw honey-like flavors...as the beer warms...or as I get used to it, I begin to recognize the typical Fantôme flavors.

The carbonation is surprisingly pretty low. It just provides a slight tinge which helps deliver the citrus flavors. Despite the low carbonation it was enough body to keep it from feeling watery.

This is a pretty hard beer to put down. I keep taking sips just to try and figure it out. With the amount of body and complexity, it feels like a big beer, but the ABV is hidden fairly well. Split between friends it could retain its refreshing qualities, but having the 750ml to myself is pretty enjoyable too.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Purchased this tonight at O'Briens with the intention of taking it back to Tampa with me for the holidays. Nope, not gonna happen... cork is coming out right now.

750ml bottle, capped, corked, pours a hazy yellowed orange hue and makes a dense and creamy white head. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dominated by musty, barnyard yeastiness, there's some banana esters somewhere in the background, but this is mostly funky. Strong honey and caramel malts can be found along with a bunch of earthy, grassy hops.

Flavor opens with a medium bittering on the tongue, some tart citrus fruits, spicy pepper and a very earthy hop taste. A light sweetness lingers and there's a really subdued hint of green olives, chewy bitter finish. This is an explosion in my mouth, the flavor profile here is insane.

This is incredibly well balanced on the palate, starts with peppery carbonation and becomes creamy, finishes very dry.

This is a very interesting and tasty offering from Dany Prignon. The more I sample from Fantôme, the more respect I have. This beer is awesome, has everything I like about a saison and is really hoppy. I will have this again and that is a friggin promise.

4.64/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No dating on the bottle (no label either...), but from most recent batch. Poured into a Saison Dupont tumbler at cellar temperature while listening to Bjork.

A - Plenty of white head with a pale hazy gold body. Decent lacing and good head retention.

S - Tannins, slight resin, candi sugar, and floral/apricoty hops all highlight a bright pale malt aroma. Good shallot and blue cheese-like earthy funk manages to be quite expressive, but not overtake the beer. Mineral aromas help to firm up and round out the whole experience.

T - This beer was nice last time I had it, but not bitter even by Belgian-Beers-That-Have-Crossed-the-Atlantic standards. This is a much different experience. Nice assertive bitterness in the finish, ranking up with many of the other assertive Belgian IPA styles I've enjoyed (Urthel, Houblon Chouffe, Hopsinjoor, etc.). Starts out with a sweetness reminiscent of a lemon-shakeup, with mineral, leather, blue cheese, pineapple and apricot undertones. The funk builds and starts to overtake the sweetness towards to swallow, with a big earthy climax right at the swallow that helps intensify the hop bite at the end. Hops provide a nice grapefruit and pepper flavors to the finish, which is mostly dry and earthy with a slight sweet lemon quality lingering.

M - Slightly oily mouthfeel, with nice mid to full body and crisp carbonation. Right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

D - Wow, I thought this beer was good the first time I had it, but this was much better. This bottle I know is quite fresh (within two weeks of delivery to the store) verus the last bottle I had (no idea...), and freshness makes a huge difference in this beer (duh...) Another fantastic product from Fantome, best effort from them I've had to date.

Poured from bottle into my New Belgium tulip. Pours nicely. Golden color with a great head that reduces to a nice level and leaves lacing

smell is fruity and slightly spicy. I thought this was supposed to be hoppy? I don't know...maybe this is a defunct bottle. Taste is very nice. Slightly fruity...banana, lemony...almost like a good hefeweizen. The aftertaste has only the slightest bit of farmhouse funk on it

Mouthfeel is light and airy. This is super easy to drink. I can see drinking this on a warm summer night...that would be perfect. Overall, I enjoyed it. Would I go out of my way to get this over some of the more readily available saisons? I don't know about that. It is very good and definitely worth trying but nothing remarkable.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle provided by LSUPT. You're always finding a way to hit my wants Alex, thanks.

Split with my girlfriend in 2 Fantome tulips.

It pours a hay-like yellow with a creamy white head on top. Carbonation swirls around everywhere in this brew. Tiny legs of lace are left on the glass.

Smell is of slight alfalfa, brick dust, citrus, and hops. It somewhat smelt like a baseball field with the brick dust and earthy tones.

Taste is upfront with the citrus, lemon, and then it bleeds into the nice earthy, dry brick dust.

The ending flavors on this brew just coat your mouth with an insanely bitter taste for a saison. It's after taste lingers for a damn long time. Very creamy on the mouthfeel, or at least more than what I was expecting.

Another great beer from Fantome. Maybe my least favorite that I've had by them so far, but a B+ isn't bad at all.

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Murkey and golden with white head.

S: Saison like smell with a beatiful "funk" mixed in. Sweet and sour. Smells almost like a nice cheese.

T: Sweet, then sour, then hops burst up, and fade. They linger on a long semi-dry finish. The sweetness balances the hops out beatifully and prevents them from being too over the top.

M: Slick, medium weight with good cabonation level.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

What's this? A hoppy saison? Interesting, I though to myself...

Pours a cloudy, bright orange color with lots of bubbles rising from the bottom of my chalice toward a thick, offwhite foamy head. Beautiful, intricate patterns of lace settle on the glass as I raise it to my nose.

Mmmm. Definitely a saison. Smells earthy, bready, yeasty, rustic, and of course, just a drop funky. As advertised, the taste is quite bitter, but also very smooth. Lots of prickly carbonation dance on my tongue and mingle with earthy hop flavors. Bitter lemon and bitter orange notes, along with sweet honeyish malt and and intense black pepper flavor that signifies that this is definitely a saison, despite it's uniqueness.

Wow. 8% ABV and super hoppy, but this is ridiculously easy to drink. The alcohol warms my tummy as I finish my glass. Despite being low on cash, I went back and bought two more bottles. One is now in my closet - I can't wait to taste it in a few years.

4.52/5  rDev +11.6%

This pours a golden yellow color, almost verging on orange, with a nice white fluffy head. It has a nice low-key fruity scent that seems on the sweet side, I get strawberry mostly.

The taste is exceptional. The sweetness definitely comes through, but it isn't syrupy and fits the beer well as it finishes with a bit of tang. The mouthfeel is exactly what I wanted, not thick, but not thin either, and it has the right amount of carb to it as well.

Great beer, and I will pick it up again next time I find it.

4.51/5  rDev +11.4%

This one's kinda a toughie to review. At first pour, it was horrible. Way to vinegary with a heck of a lot of citrus flavor. Then as it warmed up a bit, it lost a lot of its vinegar taste. Turns out that this beer really settles. You can hold it up to the light and see where all the ingredients settle. I recommend turning the bottle upside down and right side up a few times and then pour it out.

As I got to the second pour from the bottle, where everything had settles, that's when the real taste came out. Upfront citrus flavor with a little bit of an apricot back end. Still a little vinegar bite but nothing that I would say was horrible. On top of that, the taste dynamics change with every sip which makes this one hell of a complex beer to drink. Not quite worth the price tag but if you find it, it's a pleasant treat...now if I could just find the Fantome Chocolat...I have a feeling everything from this brewery is classic.

4.26/5  rDev +5.2%

Usual 750 ml corked and capped bottle. Hazy golden orange, nice white head. Hoppy peppery aroma. Big malty flavors with plenty of hop flavor and bitterness. Usual big malty mouthfeel from Fantome. I detect Styrian Golding hops in use here. Malty hoppy finish, with those flavor hops really shining through. Its got to be Styrians. Rather straightforward and not as unusual as other Fantomes.

4.46/5  rDev +10.1%

Dany does it again...

Appearance: Having what may just be my favorite all-time beer label, Brise-BonBons! pours a pale orange with a massive head -- plenty of clinging lace.

Smell: A very citrus-y nose with some light berry notes. Some Saison yeast is apparent and appropriate.

Taste: Sweet, bitter and refreshing. A real explosion for your pallate, yet subdued -- quite elegant. There is a restrained bitterness -- more pronounced than other Saisons -- that is lingering and pleasant. Lots of Low-coho hops. A nice tartness as well. Very yummy. Strawberry and even a little raspberry is apparent, as is some sort of tea.

Mouthfeel: Fantastic. Full, yet not filling. Strong carbonation works well with the tart and the bitter. Dry, but the fruitiness prevents it from being too dry. Very nicely done.

Overall: 8%? You have to kidding me. The mouthfeel indicates a solid 5% session beer. For reals, this beer is excellent. I highly encourage you to seek some out. I have one more bottle after this, and then a trip to the store.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

The usual 750ml bottle. Enjoyed at d.b.a. NYC. Poured into wide belgian style glasses, I wish we were given something more goblet-ish. Poured a cloudy, pale yellow with a very thin head that did not hang out for very long. Smells like a fruity, spicy farm field. Fresh outdoor smells mixed with some citrus fruit and spice. Like a fresh breeze off a muddy fruit field! Awesome. It tastes pretty much like it smells too but with a slight yeasty bread after taste at times. Nice spice flavor too...I'm picking up a dry pepper or ginger flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. A nice light, even carbonation gives this beer a nice refreshing feeling to it. Very drinkable to boot.

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pale gold with white head.
S - The smell is pretty muted. I smell a little funk but that's about it.
T - At first it tasted like pot. As it warmed up I got a little more of th banana and cloves.
M - It's a little sticky but might be pretty average. I prefer it a little cleaner and dry. To each their own.
O - Honestly, I'm getting a lot of skunked hop flavors. I've had great Fantome but this isn't it.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured a nice golden yellow with a nice fluffy head. i was expecting a lot more funk to this one similar to Saison Dupont but it was on the mild side of the barn. Still had lots of nice fruit, grapefruit comes to mind. Was very drinkable at 8% and i would like to try this one again.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a rich golden yellow, with a nice white head into a tulip glass.

S: Slight fruit undertones, almost sweet.

T: This is definitely not as dry as most saisons. The sweetness and the alcohol break through slightly on the aftertaste, but not overwhelming or unbalanced.

M: Not as thick and heavy as you would expect with the sweetness, but there was more to it than one would expect from a Saison. The carbonation does not overwhelm the pallet as it goes down. Very enjoyable.

O: The Brise-BonBons was a very enjoyable beer. There wasn't any characteristic that dominated. There was no over-powering barnhouse funk, just an smooth drinking, slightly sweet ale.

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Appearance - Cloudy, citrusy looking beer that poured a pretty thick head.

Smell - Lots of fruit - apricots and citrus? - with a hint of skunkiness.

Taste - I was extremely let down by the taste of this beer. It had a STRONG "band aid" aftertaste that overwhelmed anything else that would have been picked up otherwise. Bad batch, perhaps?

Mouthfeel - Heavy and well carbonated.

Overall - Fantome might be my favorite brewery, but every once in a while there's a batch that delivers really bad off-flavors. This happened to a bottle of Boo! I had as well as a bottle of the 2011 Printemps. Sometimes something goes wrong in the brewing process and hopefully Dany discovers what it is and can straighten it out because unfortunately this bottle became a drainpour. :(

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Beautiful cloudy, nice and rich peach colored
S - Sour fruits
T - I may be crazy, or have an off bottle, but i get some almost burnt taste out of this, first comes some green apple then comes a wash of smokiness
M - Good carbonation, a slight sour note
O - I like it, it is definitely interesting!

Fantôme Brise-BonBons from Brasserie Fantôme