Fantôme BBB Dark White - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme BBB Dark WhiteFantôme BBB Dark White

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Ego on 09-12-2006)

CoolEthan, Feb 24, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -45.2%

Poured from 750 mL bottle (capped and corked) into cervoise.
A: Pours an interesting (and different) clear amber with minimal carbonation producing the faintest of white heads. Not the typical saison appearance.
S: Spice, soft caramel malt, hint of funk, a bit flat.
T: Odd tart and bitter spice with the faintest hint of caramel malt. Bitter apple. Musty herbal notes. Just not good and definitely not what one would expect for style.
M: Flat, oily, and watery. Again, not good and just way off for style.
D: Very disappointed in this one. I would definitely not recommend it. Everything is off here. Saisons are one of my favorite styles and I'm fairly certain this is the worst one I've had. (In looking at some of the other reviews, I may have had a bad bottle but it opened with a loud pop and nothing seemed amiss. If perchance I get to try this one again, I will add to the review.)

mwilbur, Nov 21, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

akang, Feb 24, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

Smarty_Pints, Feb 24, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

A – Opaque cider brown. Deep bone-white head.

S – Pepper, sage, savory meats, and salt. Just a hint of lighter citrus and floral notes.

T – Huge presence of grains of paradise that lends a savory quality to the profile. Lemon, green bell peppers, orange zest, coriander, and sage. Mellow, semi-salty herbal finish.

M – Medium body. Poor carbonation. Dry finish.

O –Either this was a contaminated bottle, or this is a savory take on the style. If the later, it was interesting, but it just didn’t work as well as I would have liked it too.

vfgccp, Sep 29, 2011

Kahlerbock, May 21, 2013

ajzy, Jun 01, 2013

SupremePie, Apr 26, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

One of my favourite styles, and the best brewer of that style as far as I'm concerned. I always love the label art on Fantome's bottles. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass (ugh..) bottle with pry-off cap sealed over an internally-housed branded cork served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop. Expectations are through the roof. Label identifies it as a saison, so that's what I'm reviewing it as. The label doesn't corroborate the ABV. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. "Belgian Ale Brewed with Spices."

My label just says "Dark White." There's no "BBB" in the lower left corner like I see on google images.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Cork yields a satisfying pop upon removal. Liquid does start slowly surging upwards, but it's not a gusher or anything.

A: Pours a three finger wide head of nice healthy light khaki colour. Nice smooth soft complexion. Nice thickness. Decent creaminess. Somewhat frothy. Retention is excellent; seemingly indefinite but probably a good 15 minutes - though I'm not waiting to find out. No real lacing as the head ever so slowly recedes. Fluffy and appealing overall.

Body colour is a glowing nontransparent peach. No yeast particles are visible, but it's too murky and hazy to see them anyway. No bubble show. Pretty decent vibrance, though it is a bit understated.

Overall, it's looking pretty standard for a saison with the exception of the remarkable head retention. I'm excited to try it, but other Fantome saisons have looked better.

Sm: Heavy biscuity yeast character, with subtle clove, vitamins, and bready doughy notes. This beer screams that it's alive and kicking. Wow. Some bretty funk here, but not as much as in other saisons.

I get some subtle well integrated spicing, but as always with Fantome it's so well executed that each individual spice is difficult to isolate. White pepper. Some very light citrus twang.

Earthy. Grainy malts. Bready malts. Biscuit malt. Grassy. Clean overall.

I'm not getting any of the fruity notes some other reviewers are describing. Doughy yeast is by far the dominant note here.

No alcohol is detectable. A pungent aroma of moderate to pretty strong intensity.

T: Bready and doughy as hell. Light bretts lend a bit of funkiness. Lightly earthy. Not getting any fruits. Light indistinct spices; I find clove and white pepper.

I'm a bit concerned about the quality control with this bottle; it definitely seems a bit off. Rather bland and narrow-noted for a Fantome beer.

Bready malts, graininess, light grassiness. Hay. Any hop character is minimal in presence and floral in character.

Dough is dominant. It's shockingly simple and boring considering the brewery. Something's wrong here; I think it's lightly infected perhaps? I've never experienced infection in a beer. This isn't offensive or foul; it just seems off on a basic level.

As it warms, I do get hints of fruit after all. Apple, cidery notes, and maybe fig. The white pepper also comes through a bit more. Apple pie. Nutmeg.

Touches of citrus rind on the finish.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nice thickness. Good carbonation. Not oily, harsh, or biting. Suits the style well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Somewhat acidic.

Dr/O: Kind of a dud from Fantome, but I do think I just got an off bottle. At around $16 USD a bottle, that's frustrating. I've never had quality issues with Fantome until now. I'd like to revisit a good bottle of this, but I won't be shelling out my own money to do so. Really disappointed, but it's not undrinkable - just a bit boring and bland. I'll happily finish the bottle, but I really wanted and expected more from Fantome. Comes off a bit like a homebrew saison in its muddled unfocused character. Alcohol is well hidden, though.

Served chilled but not cold and allow to come to room temperature.

C+

kojevergas, Jul 04, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

First time I tried this beer it almost killed me. The second time I opened it with my thumb on the cork and could barely hold it down. Beware of this one.

A: Pours out very dark for a 4% saison. Huge head that falls very quickly, but rises just as fast when you pour. Another warning. Muddy copper in color.

S: There is talk of bottle variances being big in Fantome bottles and this is definitely one occasion. Nothing like the first one I had. Smell is of apples and some light citrus. The bready quality is what is throwing me off here, the malts seem to be in the forefront. The last one I had was citrusy and hoppy in the front.

T: Apple juice, slight tartness. Fades into sweetness though. Wondering how two bottles could vary so much here. First one I tried was a lemon bomb, second one was a malt bomb. Not sure how to rate this.

M: Thin, a bit flat and under carbonated. A bit like a sweet apple cider. Again, nothing like the other bottle.

O: Disappointing. Should have reviewed the first bottle tried. Not impressed with breweries with bottle variances.

kiddynamite920, Dec 31, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Bottle: Poured a hazy orangey color ale with a small foamy head with limited retention and almost no lacing. Aroma is somewhat funky and sour and leaves me perplex. Taste is dominated by some wheat malt with some weird funky notes and some sourness. While I usually dig funky and sour beer, this one leaves me a bit confused since the sourness is more apparent to a non-voluntary infection then a planned open-vat infected beer. I used to really like this brewer but the last couple of beers I drank from this brewer left me on my appetite.

Phyl21ca, Nov 08, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

I finally tracked one down! I love the BBB forum, and thought I might never even get to try this.

A: Big fluffy white head. A hazy tan to orange colored beer.

S: Lots of black pepper, dust, and the usual Fantome funkiness.

T: Very watery flavor profile. Although it's not overly carbonated, it tastes very much like seltzer water. All other flavors are washed away by it, at least until it warms up to room temp. Only a tiny bit of watered down malt comes through, along with a tiny bit of funk, some tartness, and the black pepper.

M: No real problems here, pretty on par for other Fantome beers.
D: Not interesting enough to be drinkable. My least favorite beer from Dany so far, which hurts me to say because he's my favorite Belgian brewer. I'd stick with the Saison or Printemps, persnally.

rayjay, Jun 23, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Fantome is a brewer that seems to take chances. I really like that about the brewer, but this one seems to strike out.

If you are familiar with Fantome it has the smell cosistent with the rest of the line with a musty cellar and pepper smell.

The taste is also consistent with the sourness of some of the other Fantome brews.

Where it lacks is in the punch and interesting overtones that the Hiver and others seem to have. Let me be clear, it is not bad, but for $14.99 per bottle I expect more and at 4% alcohol I felt like I spent big bucks on a date, who ended up not putting out at the end!

OttoPeeWee, Jun 27, 2010

NateMac13, May 06, 2013

Stinger80OH, Aug 30, 2014

WesM63, Mar 18, 2012

drummermattie02, Apr 05, 2012

Lob, Mar 01, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

This brew pours a dark copper to almost brown color that is fairly clear when held to the light. A mountainous formation of white fluffy head, 4+ fingers strong sits atop the brew. The cap is slightly off-white in color and holds very well. As it fades, it leaves some spots and lines of lace on the glass.

The smell is yeasty and overall quite muted. Faint lemon notes with a little bit of tart green quality. A bit of sulfur is evident mixed with a light mineral tang that is reminiscent of what a leaking co2 tank smells like.

The taste is toasty caramel malt sweetness with a touch of mineral quality. Some herbal hop aspect is evident with rindy hop and pulp flavoring. There is a familiar fruited alcohol quality that is similar to other Fantome offerings.

This is a light bodies brew that is very carbonated. Perhaps a bit too much carbonation here. The alcohol is well integrated and seemingly nonexistent making for a brew that goes down easy. The tangy and mineral aspects in the aroma and flavor come out as it warms and gets to be not so enjoyable. I really like Fantome as a whole. This brew however missed the mark and just didn't live up to the standard of their other offerings.

stakem, Sep 21, 2011