Fantôme BBB Dark White - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Ego on 09-12-2006

2.18/5  rDev -45.4%

Poured from 750 mL bottle (capped and corked) into cervoise.
A: Pours an interesting (and different) clear amber with minimal carbonation producing the faintest of white heads. Not the typical saison appearance.
S: Spice, soft caramel malt, hint of funk, a bit flat.
T: Odd tart and bitter spice with the faintest hint of caramel malt. Bitter apple. Musty herbal notes. Just not good and definitely not what one would expect for style.
M: Flat, oily, and watery. Again, not good and just way off for style.
D: Very disappointed in this one. I would definitely not recommend it. Everything is off here. Saisons are one of my favorite styles and I'm fairly certain this is the worst one I've had. (In looking at some of the other reviews, I may have had a bad bottle but it opened with a loud pop and nothing seemed amiss. If perchance I get to try this one again, I will add to the review.) (889 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A – Opaque cider brown. Deep bone-white head.

S – Pepper, sage, savory meats, and salt. Just a hint of lighter citrus and floral notes.

T – Huge presence of grains of paradise that lends a savory quality to the profile. Lemon, green bell peppers, orange zest, coriander, and sage. Mellow, semi-salty herbal finish.

M – Medium body. Poor carbonation. Dry finish.

O –Either this was a contaminated bottle, or this is a savory take on the style. If the later, it was interesting, but it just didn’t work as well as I would have liked it too. (554 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

One of my favourite styles, and the best brewer of that style as far as I'm concerned. I always love the label art on Fantome's bottles. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass (ugh..) bottle with pry-off cap sealed over an internally-housed branded cork served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop. Expectations are through the roof. Label identifies it as a saison, so that's what I'm reviewing it as. The label doesn't corroborate the ABV. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. "Belgian Ale Brewed with Spices."

My label just says "Dark White." There's no "BBB" in the lower left corner like I see on google images.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Cork yields a satisfying pop upon removal. Liquid does start slowly surging upwards, but it's not a gusher or anything.

A: Pours a three finger wide head of nice healthy light khaki colour. Nice smooth soft complexion. Nice thickness. Decent creaminess. Somewhat frothy. Retention is excellent; seemingly indefinite but probably a good 15 minutes - though I'm not waiting to find out. No real lacing as the head ever so slowly recedes. Fluffy and appealing overall.

Body colour is a glowing nontransparent peach. No yeast particles are visible, but it's too murky and hazy to see them anyway. No bubble show. Pretty decent vibrance, though it is a bit understated.

Overall, it's looking pretty standard for a saison with the exception of the remarkable head retention. I'm excited to try it, but other Fantome saisons have looked better.

Sm: Heavy biscuity yeast character, with subtle clove, vitamins, and bready doughy notes. This beer screams that it's alive and kicking. Wow. Some bretty funk here, but not as much as in other saisons.

I get some subtle well integrated spicing, but as always with Fantome it's so well executed that each individual spice is difficult to isolate. White pepper. Some very light citrus twang.

Earthy. Grainy malts. Bready malts. Biscuit malt. Grassy. Clean overall.

I'm not getting any of the fruity notes some other reviewers are describing. Doughy yeast is by far the dominant note here.

No alcohol is detectable. A pungent aroma of moderate to pretty strong intensity.

T: Bready and doughy as hell. Light bretts lend a bit of funkiness. Lightly earthy. Not getting any fruits. Light indistinct spices; I find clove and white pepper.

I'm a bit concerned about the quality control with this bottle; it definitely seems a bit off. Rather bland and narrow-noted for a Fantome beer.

Bready malts, graininess, light grassiness. Hay. Any hop character is minimal in presence and floral in character.

Dough is dominant. It's shockingly simple and boring considering the brewery. Something's wrong here; I think it's lightly infected perhaps? I've never experienced infection in a beer. This isn't offensive or foul; it just seems off on a basic level.

As it warms, I do get hints of fruit after all. Apple, cidery notes, and maybe fig. The white pepper also comes through a bit more. Apple pie. Nutmeg.

Touches of citrus rind on the finish.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nice thickness. Good carbonation. Not oily, harsh, or biting. Suits the style well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Somewhat acidic.

Dr/O: Kind of a dud from Fantome, but I do think I just got an off bottle. At around $16 USD a bottle, that's frustrating. I've never had quality issues with Fantome until now. I'd like to revisit a good bottle of this, but I won't be shelling out my own money to do so. Really disappointed, but it's not undrinkable - just a bit boring and bland. I'll happily finish the bottle, but I really wanted and expected more from Fantome. Comes off a bit like a homebrew saison in its muddled unfocused character. Alcohol is well hidden, though.

Served chilled but not cold and allow to come to room temperature.

C+ (4,098 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

First time I tried this beer it almost killed me. The second time I opened it with my thumb on the cork and could barely hold it down. Beware of this one.

A: Pours out very dark for a 4% saison. Huge head that falls very quickly, but rises just as fast when you pour. Another warning. Muddy copper in color.

S: There is talk of bottle variances being big in Fantome bottles and this is definitely one occasion. Nothing like the first one I had. Smell is of apples and some light citrus. The bready quality is what is throwing me off here, the malts seem to be in the forefront. The last one I had was citrusy and hoppy in the front.

T: Apple juice, slight tartness. Fades into sweetness though. Wondering how two bottles could vary so much here. First one I tried was a lemon bomb, second one was a malt bomb. Not sure how to rate this.

M: Thin, a bit flat and under carbonated. A bit like a sweet apple cider. Again, nothing like the other bottle.

O: Disappointing. Should have reviewed the first bottle tried. Not impressed with breweries with bottle variances. (1,070 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19%

Bottle: Poured a hazy orangey color ale with a small foamy head with limited retention and almost no lacing. Aroma is somewhat funky and sour and leaves me perplex. Taste is dominated by some wheat malt with some weird funky notes and some sourness. While I usually dig funky and sour beer, this one leaves me a bit confused since the sourness is more apparent to a non-voluntary infection then a planned open-vat infected beer. I used to really like this brewer but the last couple of beers I drank from this brewer left me on my appetite. (540 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%

I finally tracked one down! I love the BBB forum, and thought I might never even get to try this.

A: Big fluffy white head. A hazy tan to orange colored beer.

S: Lots of black pepper, dust, and the usual Fantome funkiness.

T: Very watery flavor profile. Although it's not overly carbonated, it tastes very much like seltzer water. All other flavors are washed away by it, at least until it warms up to room temp. Only a tiny bit of watered down malt comes through, along with a tiny bit of funk, some tartness, and the black pepper.

M: No real problems here, pretty on par for other Fantome beers.
D: Not interesting enough to be drinkable. My least favorite beer from Dany so far, which hurts me to say because he's my favorite Belgian brewer. I'd stick with the Saison or Printemps, persnally. (809 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%

This brew pours a dark copper to almost brown color that is fairly clear when held to the light. A mountainous formation of white fluffy head, 4+ fingers strong sits atop the brew. The cap is slightly off-white in color and holds very well. As it fades, it leaves some spots and lines of lace on the glass.

The smell is yeasty and overall quite muted. Faint lemon notes with a little bit of tart green quality. A bit of sulfur is evident mixed with a light mineral tang that is reminiscent of what a leaking co2 tank smells like.

The taste is toasty caramel malt sweetness with a touch of mineral quality. Some herbal hop aspect is evident with rindy hop and pulp flavoring. There is a familiar fruited alcohol quality that is similar to other Fantome offerings.

This is a light bodies brew that is very carbonated. Perhaps a bit too much carbonation here. The alcohol is well integrated and seemingly nonexistent making for a brew that goes down easy. The tangy and mineral aspects in the aroma and flavor come out as it warms and gets to be not so enjoyable. I really like Fantome as a whole. This brew however missed the mark and just didn't live up to the standard of their other offerings. (1,197 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%

Fantome is a brewer that seems to take chances. I really like that about the brewer, but this one seems to strike out.

If you are familiar with Fantome it has the smell cosistent with the rest of the line with a musty cellar and pepper smell.

The taste is also consistent with the sourness of some of the other Fantome brews.

Where it lacks is in the punch and interesting overtones that the Hiver and others seem to have. Let me be clear, it is not bad, but for $14.99 per bottle I expect more and at 4% alcohol I felt like I spent big bucks on a date, who ended up not putting out at the end! (598 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle w/ a presumed best by date of October 2013. I have no idea what the tick mark next to "e" means. Somebody beer mail me if you do. Pours a nice burnt orange w/ lots of carbonation. Has a fluffy, off white head. About 3 fingers worth of head. Great lacing!

Nose is a champagne like fruit. Peaches - slightly sour. Reminds me a little of sparkling water actually. A slight funk in the nose but pretty minimal.

Taste has lots of carbonation that scrubs the palate! Light, citrusy, slight coriander spice to it. Nice citrus hops to balance this out. A little funk to this. Not Brett, at least not an overly present one. A little like sour peaches. Very well tasting for me. Not outstanding though. Has a tart finish.

Mouthfeel is a medium & overall drinkability is a pretty high for me. I love, love, love Saisons & this is good but not the best. It's a little underwhelming for me. But a nice beer to try & one that I would recommend. But a little pricey for a bottle. As I write this, the bubbles are actually rising up the bottle. I've NEVER SEEN THIS BEORE! The head is growing! Wow. This truly is a rare beer & experience, for me at least. (1,170 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderately dark amber color with some reddish hues. Off white head with some lasting power. Nose is pretty funky and unusual, even for Fantome. Some really interesting acetic notes along with a decent amount of funk. The taste brings in some vinegar and a bit of funk. Some darker characteristics as well and maybe a bit of earth. Difficult to describe. Good carbonation and on the lighter side considering the flavors. Drinkability is average, as I'm really trying to figure this one out and coming back for more, yet at the same time I don't know how much I'm really enjoying it. (611 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Brown, muddy body. Very hazy, nearly opaque. Good head and lace, meh retention. Smells roasty with a shot of funk in the middle, but it's not strong enough to truly appreciate. If I could re-do all my ratings this would be a 3.0, but alas, consistency calls.

Drew a big blank after my first sips. Seriously, tastes like nothing. After it warms, some roastyness emerges with a bit of tartness at the end. Overwhelming flavor is still nothing, though, and that's simply unacceptable for a $20 bottle. (499 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

Served into a snifter from a green 750 ml bottle with a cap and cork.

A - The beer is a dark amber, almost a red color, much darker than I expected for a saison. It is crystal clear. The head is initially off white with good lacing, but it fades away entirely and leaves the beer looking flat.

S - The smell is dominated by funk--slight vinegar and barnyard smells. There is very little else. No malt or hops come through, but the funk is mild enough that it doesn't scare me off.

T - The taste is tart, lemony and slightly funky at first, but then it slams on the brakes and just fades away. There is no aftertaste and it is extremely dry. Again, no malt, hops or alcohol ever show through.

M - The body is very light and watery. The carbonation is low, making the impression of being watered down even worse.

D - This is very drinkable, but I find it disappointing. It lacks enough complexity to make me want another. I haven't had many of Fantome's beers, but I know their reputation and I am disappointed by this one. (1,027 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is the color of mud, rust, and burnt sienna. Not much head and no foam, and mediocre carbonation.

The aroma has some super dry malt, and dry green apples, oh and some un-malted barley grain.

The taste is a tart Granny Smith apple skin and a little lemon juice. hand in hand with the taste is a dry and tart mouthfeel that lasts throughout the whole palate. There's a lot of earthy note swirling aroun the flavor profile too. Like some wild yeast had its way with some of the beer.

This doesn't taste like a saison to me. It tastes more like a cross between a Witbier and an Oud Bruin. It doesn't taste bad, but I won't buy it again. (648 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

750 ml capped and corked bottle, thanks to MasterSki!

Pours a cloudy dark orange, almost brown, thin off white head forms and quickly settles down to a thin ring around the glass before mostly disappearing, no real lacing.

Smell is neat, light and funky, a bit of fruit, dry and malty, some toast and wheat, yeasty, lemon tartness, a touch of spice and some wood, neat Fantome sour fruitiness.

Taste is similar, light and trademark Fantome sourness, light lemony tartness, wheat and toast, pretty dry through the middle, a bit of fruit and spice, weak in the finish, watery with some breadiness.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Neat but not on par with other Fantomes. This just seems like second runnings or something of one of their other beers, but neat to try. Thanks Alex! (800 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The saison poured a dark copper color with an aggressive white head. The aroma was a strange smokey sort of barnyard funk. Saisons have a very distinct aroma, this one added the notes of a smoke beer. I am not certain if it is supposed to have that distinction. In the initial taste, one detects lemon rind, smokey, and that certain barnyard funk. The rind is most potent in the aftertaste. There was really nothing particularly special about this one. In fact, I wonder if something was a bit off about this delicate creature. It may be my least favorite Fantome effort. (571 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by Darrell. Thanks man.

Sampled alongside twenty other Fantôme beers.

The beer appears hazy and light brown hued with a small, off white head.

The aroma brings some cinnamon, funk, earthy notes, apples, ripe apples or apple skins. It smells like a funky, earthy, apple cider. Interesting.

The flavor is decent, but not something of which I would want a lot. Perhaps this just isn't my thing. Again, earthy, funky apple cider.

The body is pretty thin, with appropriate carbonation.

A small snifter sized pour was plenty for me. Overall, interesting, and definitely worth trying. I would be curious to have this again, as I suspect a lot of bottle and/or batch variation with this beer, and Fantôme in general. (733 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -10.8%

cloudy dark color coming forward, much darker then I thought it would be for the style. Nice head, maybe two inches with some really great retention and a wonderful bit of side glass lacing. Lots of carbonation was visible streaking up from the bottom of the glass.

little bit light for me to be honest. Some nice notes of yeast, grain, with lots of breadiness in the middle, not nearly the funky farmhouse ale I was expecting it to be. Lots of light fruit notes with hints of peppery spice dominating on the flavor. Quick hints of pear, peach, maybe some apple (562 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a slightly hazy honey brown color with a huge loose bubble head that quickly disipates into a sparse cap that leaves some chunky lacing on the glass.

The aroma seems big on coriander, overipe apples, some lemon and a cooked veggie funk. Very much reminds me of a wit aroma which I am not that fond of.

The taste starts off with a coriander blast and vegital funk. There is some pepper spice as well. Tart apples mix with lemon rind. There is a grassy hop element that adds some bitterness in the end. The coriander seems to fade as the beer warms and the tart fruit and bitter hop flavors seem to take over. I pick up some light earthy funk but nothing too descript.

The feel is light to moderate and quite spritzy. Spicy and sweet on the palate but finishes with an earthy bitterness.

A well made beer just not my cup of tea. Seems to be a cross between a wit and a saison. The coriander and veggie aspects of wits I do not like so it reflects in my grade. For those who like wits, give this beer a try. (1,014 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance: Nice pour, more opaque and darker than the regular fantome saison; typical large head.

Smell & taste: You don't notice the pepper until you look for it, light funk & must, lots of caramel/malt and darker fruits (figs, raisins and plums). I am not crazy about the pepper element, but am glad for notice of what is strange. Seems a bit confused and rambling.

Mouthfeel: Full and well carbonated; I am thankful and surprised by the low 4% abv.

Drinkability: lower than the standard fantome saison; interesting but not to be tried again. Guezedude nails the pairings - pepper-crusted steak or rosemary roasted lamb (626 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Orangy/tan appearance with a good deal of cloudiness. No head to speak of, just some light froth leaving a ring in its wake. The aroma is interesting, a mix of spicy fruit funk that is hard to describe really. Not particularly inviting, but interesting in that typical Fantome way.

The flavor is decent. It's is again a bit tangy, but with almost a vegetable-like taste to it, perhaps corn or lima beans. The finish is not noticed immediately, but develops after a few sips, becoming quite spicy/peppery. Very unique, and the taste does grow on you a bit. The mouthfeel is light, but definitely not thin, with fine moderate carbonation.

This was not one of my favorites from this brewery. Throughout the experience, though, you realize you found something different that is still rather drinkable. If you are seeking something new, then give it a try... (861 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750ml green bottle, corked and capped - Marked October 2013, purchased 2/2010, so who knows what age this has - Poured into a tulip...

Appears to be a cloudy dark tan color at first, but when it settles down, the beer actually has a nice clarity and shows off hints of ruby and burnt orange when held to the light. A ton of thick, heavy light tan head forms, some still remains now, 10 minutes later. Lacing, chunks, very nice...

Just a touch tart at first, with a bit of fruit. Musty, slightly funky with some subtle, dark autumn/Christmas spice. Some caramel malt and a very faint roast aroma are there as well. While I enjoy all the scents of this beer, none of them (especially the tart/funk) are strong enough, the aroma, while complex is subdued, could use some more punch...

Taste is thin, subtle, watery fruit juice. Herbal, earthy, musty, hints of spice. Complex. An oak and earthy bitterness dry out the beer in the finish. Flavor seems to intensify a bit as it warms. Fruit component comes out a bit more, not so watery. Nice depth and flavor for a 4% beer...

Light bodied, a bit watery. Lower carbonation. Finishes with a lingering earthy bitterness and just a bit of spice...

No Fantome beer even approaches the regular Saison, this one was OK, would have liked a bit stronger aroma and taste, but I guess at 4% it's a bit more difficult... (1,358 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Fantome tulip because my Fantome tulip is the ghost containment thing from Ghostbusters, you know? The thing the EPA villain in that movie turns off and releases all the ghosts they caught?

Beer is light brown and hazy with a small white head, some lacing, low carbonation and low retention.

Beer smells a little cidery, sweet, mildly spicy. Nice yeast esters.

Beer tastes cidery, sweet and fruity at the lead off and the finish is a little dry, the overall beer is fine but it is not my favorite of the night. A little too apple-y sweet for my tastes. (569 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9%

Poured into Russian River chalice from bottle.

Appearance: Amber color with a nice white head. Great retention, slowly dissipating into a lot of lacing.

Smell: Funky. Tart. Yet tiny bits of sweetness. Fruity. Afraid it might be sour. Bit vinegary too.

Taste: Sour green apples throughout. The vinegary taste can be overwhelming. Not what I was looking for. Extremely dry finish. Funky. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but the vinegar flavors really threw me off.

Mouthfeel: Light. Crisp. Decent carbonation. No alcohol.

Overall: Besides the vinegary flavor that can be too much during some sips, I think this is a decent saison. Not my favorite, but I still enjoyed it for the most part. (689 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9%

Retired? Huh, guess I lucked into a bottle. Pour is lighter than expected. A dark brown with a light mocha head. Head is nice, leaves moderate lacing and is regenerated with a swirl. None of the aromas I associate with Fantome. Slight lemon zesty sourness, no real funk. Fairly clean and somewhat yeasty, but very mild. Taste follows suite. Possibly the least flavorful beer I have ever had from Fantome. Spices only come through late in the bottle, after it has had some time to warm, and I have poured the dregs - nutmeg and an unwelcome bitterness. Body and mouthfeel are typical of Fantome. Very drinkable, though a bit thin. Alcohol is not noticeable. A good beer, but not what I was expecting, and a bit of a let down. (724 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Dark amber-ish colored body. Moderate sized off-white head. Decent retention. A few clumps of lacing left here and there.

S: Musty with quite a bit of pepper, caramel, apples, and dark fruits like raisins and figs.

T: Similar components to the nose. Everything doesn't really come together here. The spice seems a little out place with the heavier (for a saison) malt bill.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Lingering mustyness with a bit of pepper. Just a bit off considering its only 4.0abv and should be quite refreshing...

D: Interesting, but not Fantome's best effort. Worth a shot as plenty of others seem to like this one. (641 characters)

Fantôme BBB Dark White from Brasserie Fantôme