Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light) - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light)Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light)

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

This listing is for the label depicting a white background with black spots.

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 12-27-2007)
Reviews by BilbosNuts:
BilbosNuts

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a very cloudy dark yellow color with no head at all. It appears very still with limited to no carbonation.

S: The aroma is amazingly complex. Earthy, funky, sour apples, lemon, grapefruit, grassy. All aspects are balanced as well, as none overpowers the other.

T: Not quite up to the standard set by the aroma, but it is still solid. Definitely more lemony and grapefruit-y in the taste. While the other aspects are present, they aren't as well balanced as the aroma.

M: Medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Very smooth with a crisp, tangy finish.

O: I really enjoyed this saison. It was honestly unlike any other saison I've had so far. While some aspects were a bit flawed, overall, it was very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to trying more from Fantome.

06-13-2012 03:10:36 | More by BilbosNuts
merlin48

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

750 ml bottle, capped not corked. Pours into a goblet a hazy nectarine body with a huge and billowing beige head. Splotches of foamy lace decorate the glass. Aroma opens with lemony and earthy notes, quickly joined by floral, spicy, and citrus fruit components. Medium body is enlivened by the trademark velvety carbonation. Taste is dry, earthy, herbal, and spicy. Very similar to other Fantomes but this one has more of a fresh orange slice essence. Coriander and white pepper notes add a nice complexity. Another exceptional saison from Fantome.

03-03-2008 18:15:57 | More by merlin48

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Cloudy, hazy, and murky orange, yellow, and gold with nearly no head whatsoever. There is very little carbonation here and lots and lots of chunky sediment.

Bright floral and citrus aromas with peach and apricot leading the way. As the beer warms, the citrus become more and more present. It's quite nice and very unique.

This is a very sweet saison dominated by peach citrus. There's nearly no bitterness whatsoever, and while very simple, it's very tasty. It's more like a fresh (peach) juice than any other beer I've had.

Medium bodied with very low carbonation, though I think it works quite well with these flavors.

A strangely unique beer, but very tasty. I suspect this one to be very polarizing; if you're expecting or hoping for anything other than a juicy peach saison, look elsewhere. If that sounds like something you'd quite enjoy, buy a case! (That being said, with Fantome's batch/bottle variation, who knows what one may find!)

10-31-2011 21:48:48 | More by ehammond1
SPRichard

11-06-2012 00:45:47 | More by SPRichard
Reino

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

1pt 9.4fl oz bottle poured into an oversize snifter.

Note: This bottle was given to me out of my bottle store's cellar. It foamed over upon opening causing the yeast to stir and resulting in yeast being poured into my glass on both pours. The bottle was well cared for and had no "off" tastes or aromas.

Apppearance-- The beer poured a cloudy, ruby-amber hue with a solid head that fought the good fight for quite some time. If you judged the texture of this beer by its appearance, you would think the beer had the mouthfeel of a warmed gelatin. The yeast appeared almost suspended in the liquid, even though the carbonation appeared to be ample. Perhaps my glass was not cleaned well enough, but I have to call it how I see it, and the lacing of this beer leaves something to be desired. Maybe the yeast being in my pours had something to do with it, but I'll buy another one and change the score if that's the case. Otherwise, lacing was on the low side.

Smell-- Fruit and a funky medicinal phenolic scents battle it out at first. As I let my nose dive deeper into the snifter, the medicinal phenolic smell seems to be paired with a biting kalamata olive scent and faint black pepper. This would be a bit off putting if not for the fruit, which is incredibly hard to nail down as to which fruits I'm actually smelling. It changes as it warms, but I think I've settled on dried apricots and mangos, figs and a hint of orange rind. Perhaps a bit of light, bready malt, as well. The aroma is a complex one, and I'm not going to pretend like I can pick out everything, but for the reviews' sake, just know that it is very good and interesting.

Taste-- Fasten up and let me take you on the bizarre ride that is this beer's taste. I had no idea what to expect going into it, and after tasting it, I'm still not sure I have a grasp on what I experienced. The notes this beer induced seem manic, but I'll try my best to make sense of it all. At its coldest point, the beer's taste was dominated by the same fruits I experienced in the nose mixed with the same medicinal/olive-y funk: dried apricots, figs, band aid and kalamatas. But as it warmed a bit, the spicy pepper made itself very well known at the finish and buddied up with some alcohol spiciness. The alcohol was similar to the spiciness you'd get from a good vodka. The fruit remained at the forefront as it warmed, but the band-aid funk came early and tried to get to the end before succumbing to the pepper and alcohol that lingered on my tonsils and back of my throat. The funk sort of takes on an yerba mate tone towards the very end, with that earthy, astringent, vegetable taste. There is also a touch of caramel in there, but this beer is incredibly complex and above my pay grade.

Mouthfeel-- At first it has a medium-low carbonation which suits the beer just fine, but it quickly gets to a lower carbonation point that I find very pleasant. There is very little tartness to be found, and the gooey, gelatin-like appearance starts to reflect the mouthfeel. Some tart or hoppy beers feel like they're taking something away from the tongue, leaving it dry and abused, but this beer coats and messages it. My tongue feels smoothed and refreshed by this brew. It makes for quite the pleasant experience, allowing me to really appreciate the complexities that I'll never be able to explain.

Drinkability-- A bit torn on how to score this one. On the plus side: the beer's tartness is very well in check, as is the carbonation and the flavors, which are complex, but aren't so overwhelming you can't enjoy a few. I myself drank a bomber alone and didn't regret the decision. On the negative side: it provides enough complex flavors that in the long run it may grow tiresome and overwhelming if you tried to drink more than an entire bottle, and has a fairly high abv that sneaks up on you, even with the alcohol presence there to remind you to slow down. When it comes down to it, buy this beer if you see it. It is very interesting and worth your money and time.

08-22-2008 06:53:12 | More by Reino
JasonSiedman

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

12-30-2012 00:54:05 | More by JasonSiedman
Metalmonk

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a gorgeous rust/blood-orange color with some haze, tons of bubbles, some floaters (I like!) and a ridiculously creamy inch-thick head. This glass does not feature a "nucleation site," but the bubbles are cruising around in there with such energy you'd think it does. Label notes this is a "blonde" but it's not...strawberry blonde, at best.

Fruity, musty, leathery smell...a little sweat too, but the funkiness never overtakes the tart fruit essence here (mostly lemon and green apple come to mind).

Big, bold flavor with tons of character. Green apple, pear, peach and some citrus zest are tangled up in a foundation of leather and musk; essence of herbal tea and a dessert-y maltiness, like graham cracker crust, peanut brittle and toffee. Raw yet welcoming, wild yet superbly crafted. The kind of beer that sets the imagination running rampant with all kinds of flavor perceptions.

Smooth, velvety texture...buoyant and airy on the tongue. Lots of bubbles that don't gang up on the tongue for a carbonation overload...rather, they caress and do right by the flavor(s). By now it seems there's not a single weak point in this beer.

This is simply fantastic. Wow. No idea why it's called La Dalmatienne, complete with the ubiquitous Fantome ghost in front of black-spotted white wallpaper...but I would definitely buy this again, even at $15 a bottle. Can you buy a wine this good for $15?...

02-24-2010 23:07:48 | More by Metalmonk
Lazerlobe

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Flat looking straw colored beer. Large spherical bubbles quickly dissipate leaving a light dusting of foam.

S: Mmm, gets a good deal more interesting here. Firstly, a puff of funk, probably that signature Fantôme smell that I've heard of. How to describe it? Musty lemons, stale smoke, and sulfur? Then honey, woodsy must once my giant nostrils become accustomed to the smell.

T: More honey, herbal bitterness, Fantôme funk. Kind of reminds my of a funky mead. Not a very dry finish, though a bit floral. I dig it!

M: Lightly carbonated, oily on the tongue. Slight pucker that is quickly overridden by the honey sweetness.

O: This is a tough brewery to pigeonhole. I can't think of this as a saison but I really enjoy it for what it is. Tons of character and moderate complexity.

05-17-2011 23:56:21 | More by Lazerlobe
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

Crushinator's bottle. Pours cloudy with incredible white head bubbles. Really funky aroma, beyond farmyard, smells like a wild ale. Good mouthfeel but bitterness, with some old orange rind astringency and funkiness making it not that desireable to drink.

07-18-2008 12:09:59 | More by Sammy
augustgarage

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Really excited to see this (and many other Fantôme beers) on the shelves recently! Poured from a green-glass capped-and-corked 750mL bottle into my Troubadour tulip.

Quite murky citrine body with a faint limoncello glow. Vigorous pour produces no head whatsoever, and there is barely a collar created by the sluggish microbubbles. Perhaps an older vintage?

Herbaceous savory fragrance, floral in a weird way (marigolds? lilacs? huh?), with syrupy fruit notes suggesting loquat, leechee nuts, and fermenting pear. A low Brett. note floats around as well.

Chalky and bracingly tart on the palate - the sourness gives way slowly to overripe pear again, reminding me something of a warhead. Yellow sorrel, lemon drops, and a hint of tallegio and aspirin fill out the profile. Very "wild" - the funkiest of the Fantôme family I've yet to sample. Not skunked, no diacetyl, not "off," despite my initial misgivings...

Quite creamy thanks to all the yeast, but very thin with insufficient carbonation.

As strange as it is, this one is growing on me, but it is definitely one for afficianados only...a farmhouse ale with hints of the outhouse?

01-20-2011 02:19:36 | More by augustgarage
DrewShal9

4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

A: amber to a dark brown body with a creamy white head
S: woods, lavender, green apple, lemon zest, FUNK, grass
T: lemon, orange, citrusy fruits, earthy/grassy, sweet and sour. Very interesting indeed.
M: highly carbonated, slightly creamy like skim milk, very drying
O: 1st fantome experience, definitely not my last. This beer is awesome and looking forward to more tastes of their products! Definitely try this!

08-02-2011 00:18:16 | More by DrewShal9
Gonzoillini

4.25/5  rDev +6%

06-01-2014 01:00:07 | More by Gonzoillini
hooliganlife

Missouri

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

pours a golden yellow with loads of white fizzy and creamy head. retains lightly.

big fruit and funk with bits of light spice and pepper. bit of skunk.

i read some reviews before i made mine, and then had to make sure i was drinking the same beer. some fruit like apricot and grape up front. some apple. light tartness. quickly fades into charcoal and ash. finishes like an ash tray. no lie.... (after a while i guess i got used to the ash and stopped picking up on it)

mild carbonation, light and fluffy.

great but the ash and charcoal just kills the flavor. no thanks, never again.

01-07-2012 00:17:10 | More by hooliganlife
kkrez

Colorado

11-14-2011 22:30:01 | More by kkrez
nickhiller

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

A: mahogany/cherry wood colored, thick bubbly head is short lived, leaving behind no trace.

S: very floral, smells like perfume or potpourri, lavender, green apple, sherry, rosé wine, Flintstones chewable vitamins.

T: lavender, amazing I've never tasted that in a beer, prunes and dried apricot, dark cherries, Flintstones vitamins.

M: medium bodied, perfect amount of carbonation, not too much, not too little, sweet mellow finish.

O: so awesome, manages to be fruity and flowery while still being 'beer' beer. Also the vitamin smell and flavor brings me right back to my childhood.

05-16-2011 03:27:51 | More by nickhiller
heebes

Ontario (Canada)

1 Pint.
50th brewery tried.
46th beer style tried.

Pours a hazy dark copper amber with a finger width off white bubbly head. Lots of carbonation present. Nose is spicy, farmhouse funk, belgian yeast, sweet. Taste is similiar to the nose, theres a sweet spicyness on the palatte paired with the distinct Belgian malts. Light 'Blonde Ale' characteristics too. Medium bodied and mouthfeel. At 8%, this should work just fine for this afternoon. I'm thinking it would be a wonderful beer to revisit this summer. Pricey!, but worth a try. Interesting introduction to the style.

02-20-2011 18:39:10 | More by heebes
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Served from bottle into a Fantome outlined ghost tulip. Poured a golden yellow with a minimal pure white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, spices, wood, funk, citrus, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, citrus, fruit, spices, wood, and grapes. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I was really impressed with this one being my first time trying it. Everything on this one just worked really well together and made it really easy to drink. I enjoyed this one so much that before I finished the bottle, I call my local bottle shop and had them put their last bottle on hold for me. A really tasty brew that everyone should have the chance to try. A well done brew by Fantôme.

12-18-2011 20:23:44 | More by thagr81us
hopsbreath

Oregon

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

I've bought at least one example of every Fantome I can find in Portland. The base Fantome Saison is my bench mark for the style and a beer I've had three times prior to just now with the last bottle being drunk just before this one. Judging by the limited reviews, it would appear that this one is sort of tough to come by. Split into a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with my wife TulipSnifter.

A: Appears similar to amber wildflower honey colored in the glass. Huge voluminous snow white head forces me to pour by parts into my glass as the head recedes. Insane amounts of lace sheets cover my glass. Surprisingly it's very leggy and viscous as well. It doesn't get any better looking than this. 5/5

S: Not as big of an aroma as the beer I had previously. What I can pick up on are the lighter ester notes I associate with belgian saisons such as sweet over-ripened bananas, generic fruit punch. It's unique for sure, but I'm left wanting a little more. An average score seems perfectly acceptable here. 3/5

T: Oh wow. That is full of pie spice with an emphasis on cloves. Misty mentioned artificial chocolate similar to Tootsie Rolls. Upon the suggestion, I'd have to agree. Bretty barnyard shows itself in spades along with some lactic tart notes highlighted by lemon zest. There's quite a bit of residual sweetness here as well. It would seem that there's still some residual sugars kicking around. It's extremely unique in my experience with saisons and is an extreme beer that is wildly in line with my personal taste. I reward interesting and unique beers I like, and I'll make no exception here. I love this flavor profile. 5/5

M: The spice numbs my tongue while the viscosity coats it at the same time. Fine carbonation tries to keep this clean but it still finishes a little gummy. It does however feel about as big as it tastes so it's pretty appropriate. 4/5

O: About as interesting a beer as I've had in a while. Fantome was of interest to me before this bottle but just landed itself square on my most curious Belgian brewery list. I'm going to be forced to track down the harder to get bottles as well now. A fine example of unrestrained brewing imagination. Try one of these out for a little fun and a hell of a ride! 4.5/5

04-29-2011 05:17:42 | More by hopsbreath
GRG1313

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

2011 taste of the 2010/2011 release: Pours a light gold/yellow with an extremely "quick" white head that fades very rapidly.

A bit of sweet green apple nose that's more elegant and fruity than sour. Floral tones and citric orange with just a hint of sweet brett character.

Mouthfeel is lightly citric and lightly puckery. The "start" of a sour - sort of like "sour 101."

Initial front palate is a lightly sweet/lightly tart orange/tangerine character and which flavors carry through to a lemon. Alcohol is hidden and almost a "soft drink" easiness in the drinking. One must exercise care or you could drink a great deal.

Nice and a bit unique in its "fresh orange/tangerine" light sour character yet still an appealing simplicity. Finishes lightly tart orange/lemon.

* *
(2009 review):
Let's face it, we all love the labels of this producer's bottles! However, the brews? You either love them or hate them. Generally, I've been disappointed. This one is perhaps the best Fantome I've tried.

Pours a cloudy dark orange/amber with some brown tints and a thick white head.

Nose of big nice and pleasant/assertive Belgian fruit-oranges, citrus and bananas that's very appealing.

Great mouthfeel of creamy heavy citrus-orange sour. Very integrated and just "feels right" in your mouth. You want more. Pleasant and perhaps one of the most well balanced sours I've tasted. Light delicate carbonation but big sour assertive orange flavors giving way to a sour lime flavor, character and finsih.

This is a very layered, complex and pleasant sour beer.

07-06-2009 05:55:41 | More by GRG1313
Neffbeer

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

A: It pours a pale yellow color with some cloudy clarity at best. There was a pop when I removed the cork put it poured really close to dead flat. No head with some small bubbles hitting the surface.

S: There are some strong citrus notes up front with a serious cheesy funky smell not far behind. The more I smell it I am reminded of a dry white wine.

T: The flavor is very vinous in quality with a nice kick of citrus to back it up. The lack of carbonation is not bothering as much as I anticipated. It still manages to finish clean and dry.

M: The feel is a bit thin without the bubbles, but at least it isn't overly sweet and syrupy.

O: I wish this one would have been properly carbonated as I can see myself enjoying it a bit more. It still is good brew, but falls short of what it could be.

11-12-2011 03:23:11 | More by Neffbeer
beerthulhu

4.33/5  rDev +8%

"07" Belgian Blonde style.

A: Poured a bright, hazy golden-orange with a thin beige head that quickly dissipated. Visible carbonation was light.

S: spicy and perfumy full of bananas, cloves, and curacao oranges and bearing a slight resemblance to a Franziskaner wheat, mmmm.

T: The flavor was rich with with strong flavors of creamy bananas, cloves, and tart oranges. There was a slight acidic bite in the swallow. There was a nice honey malt sweetness as well fruitiness (apples, pears) along with some light underlying herbal hoppiness. The beer finished with a nice yeasty spiciness, most notably cloves with a touch of sourness that blended well with the dry orange and malty palate.

M: The mouthful was creamy from the wheat bill with some warm oranges and a slight fizziness from the carbonation.

D: Overall really malty per style and a great example of an extreme blonde. Outstanding.

02-29-2008 00:58:55 | More by beerthulhu
Diomede

02-15-2012 02:28:55 | More by Diomede
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Bottle: Poured a deep cloudy orangey color ale with a huge foamy head with perfect retention and great lacing. Aroma is lightly sour with typical funkyness from Fantome. Mix of orange and fruity ester with a light spicy yeast and a tart aftertaste. Full body with limited filtration and great carbonation with no signs of alcohol showing up. Quite unique like so many beer from this brewery and somewhat indescribable but still lacking a little something to makes it truly great.

01-26-2009 03:36:07 | More by Phyl21ca