Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light) - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light)Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light)

rAvg: 4
Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 12-27-2007

This listing is for the label depicting a white background with black spots.
4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 pt. 9.4 oz. bottle into a snifter and shared with friends at a thanksgiving beer tasting.

Pours a bright, burnt-copper grapefruit hue with an excellently retained, sandy taupe head. Evenly dispersed carbonation danced around a good amount of yeasty bits. Aroma was big on the fruits (apple peel, tangerine, and mango) that benefited from a spritzy carbonation level. A decent crystal malt background and faint aroma of floral hops rounded out the nose.

Quite the delicious saison, Dalmatienne delivers faint toffee and juicy notes of starfruit and mango that gave way to a peppery, spicy hop kiss on the finish. The mouthfeel is phenomenal, with a medium-light body and a crisp, refreshing finish of hops and black pepper. You can really taste the craftsmanship in all of Fantome's beers, and this was no exception. A bit pricey, sure, but worth every cent.

4.37/5  rDev +9.3%

1pt 9.4fl oz bottle poured into an oversize snifter.

Note: This bottle was given to me out of my bottle store's cellar. It foamed over upon opening causing the yeast to stir and resulting in yeast being poured into my glass on both pours. The bottle was well cared for and had no "off" tastes or aromas.

Apppearance-- The beer poured a cloudy, ruby-amber hue with a solid head that fought the good fight for quite some time. If you judged the texture of this beer by its appearance, you would think the beer had the mouthfeel of a warmed gelatin. The yeast appeared almost suspended in the liquid, even though the carbonation appeared to be ample. Perhaps my glass was not cleaned well enough, but I have to call it how I see it, and the lacing of this beer leaves something to be desired. Maybe the yeast being in my pours had something to do with it, but I'll buy another one and change the score if that's the case. Otherwise, lacing was on the low side.

Smell-- Fruit and a funky medicinal phenolic scents battle it out at first. As I let my nose dive deeper into the snifter, the medicinal phenolic smell seems to be paired with a biting kalamata olive scent and faint black pepper. This would be a bit off putting if not for the fruit, which is incredibly hard to nail down as to which fruits I'm actually smelling. It changes as it warms, but I think I've settled on dried apricots and mangos, figs and a hint of orange rind. Perhaps a bit of light, bready malt, as well. The aroma is a complex one, and I'm not going to pretend like I can pick out everything, but for the reviews' sake, just know that it is very good and interesting.

Taste-- Fasten up and let me take you on the bizarre ride that is this beer's taste. I had no idea what to expect going into it, and after tasting it, I'm still not sure I have a grasp on what I experienced. The notes this beer induced seem manic, but I'll try my best to make sense of it all. At its coldest point, the beer's taste was dominated by the same fruits I experienced in the nose mixed with the same medicinal/olive-y funk: dried apricots, figs, band aid and kalamatas. But as it warmed a bit, the spicy pepper made itself very well known at the finish and buddied up with some alcohol spiciness. The alcohol was similar to the spiciness you'd get from a good vodka. The fruit remained at the forefront as it warmed, but the band-aid funk came early and tried to get to the end before succumbing to the pepper and alcohol that lingered on my tonsils and back of my throat. The funk sort of takes on an yerba mate tone towards the very end, with that earthy, astringent, vegetable taste. There is also a touch of caramel in there, but this beer is incredibly complex and above my pay grade.

Mouthfeel-- At first it has a medium-low carbonation which suits the beer just fine, but it quickly gets to a lower carbonation point that I find very pleasant. There is very little tartness to be found, and the gooey, gelatin-like appearance starts to reflect the mouthfeel. Some tart or hoppy beers feel like they're taking something away from the tongue, leaving it dry and abused, but this beer coats and messages it. My tongue feels smoothed and refreshed by this brew. It makes for quite the pleasant experience, allowing me to really appreciate the complexities that I'll never be able to explain.

Drinkability-- A bit torn on how to score this one. On the plus side: the beer's tartness is very well in check, as is the carbonation and the flavors, which are complex, but aren't so overwhelming you can't enjoy a few. I myself drank a bomber alone and didn't regret the decision. On the negative side: it provides enough complex flavors that in the long run it may grow tiresome and overwhelming if you tried to drink more than an entire bottle, and has a fairly high abv that sneaks up on you, even with the alcohol presence there to remind you to slow down. When it comes down to it, buy this beer if you see it. It is very interesting and worth your money and time.

4.37/5  rDev +9.3%

2011 taste of the 2010/2011 release: Pours a light gold/yellow with an extremely "quick" white head that fades very rapidly.

A bit of sweet green apple nose that's more elegant and fruity than sour. Floral tones and citric orange with just a hint of sweet brett character.

Mouthfeel is lightly citric and lightly puckery. The "start" of a sour - sort of like "sour 101."

Initial front palate is a lightly sweet/lightly tart orange/tangerine character and which flavors carry through to a lemon. Alcohol is hidden and almost a "soft drink" easiness in the drinking. One must exercise care or you could drink a great deal.

Nice and a bit unique in its "fresh orange/tangerine" light sour character yet still an appealing simplicity. Finishes lightly tart orange/lemon.

* *
(2009 review):
Let's face it, we all love the labels of this producer's bottles! However, the brews? You either love them or hate them. Generally, I've been disappointed. This one is perhaps the best Fantome I've tried.

Pours a cloudy dark orange/amber with some brown tints and a thick white head.

Nose of big nice and pleasant/assertive Belgian fruit-oranges, citrus and bananas that's very appealing.

Great mouthfeel of creamy heavy citrus-orange sour. Very integrated and just "feels right" in your mouth. You want more. Pleasant and perhaps one of the most well balanced sours I've tasted. Light delicate carbonation but big sour assertive orange flavors giving way to a sour lime flavor, character and finsih.

This is a very layered, complex and pleasant sour beer.

4.37/5  rDev +9.3%

Appears a hazy, amber toned orange with a two finger head of white fluff that slowly fades. Scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of caramel, citrus, biscuit, with light spicing. Wow...Dany never ceases to amaze. I love the smell with plenty of complexities and fresh doses of yeast and black pepper.
Taste is of the same aromas with mild tartness, along with cream, and graham crackers pulling up the rear. This would go well with chicken picatta, or fresh key lime pie.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp up front, creamy on the finish with near perfect carbonation.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Another bottle drank in the woods with a bunch of dudes one night, shared by someone likely named Michael or Matt as it were.

Tasted out of a Fantome glass side by side with the other dalmatian beer.

Beer is nearly clear with a light yellow color, decent soft white one finger head of airy nothingness, low retention but lacing left behind.

Aroma is little fruity, sweet, apricot and lemons. Mild oakiness.

Beer is tart, sour at the back end, funky, sweet up front, light in body, really complex. I like it. Better than the dark version for sure. The sourness is somewhat of a shock, I would have this again.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

I've bought at least one example of every Fantome I can find in Portland. The base Fantome Saison is my bench mark for the style and a beer I've had three times prior to just now with the last bottle being drunk just before this one. Judging by the limited reviews, it would appear that this one is sort of tough to come by. Split into a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with my wife TulipSnifter.

A: Appears similar to amber wildflower honey colored in the glass. Huge voluminous snow white head forces me to pour by parts into my glass as the head recedes. Insane amounts of lace sheets cover my glass. Surprisingly it's very leggy and viscous as well. It doesn't get any better looking than this. 5/5

S: Not as big of an aroma as the beer I had previously. What I can pick up on are the lighter ester notes I associate with belgian saisons such as sweet over-ripened bananas, generic fruit punch. It's unique for sure, but I'm left wanting a little more. An average score seems perfectly acceptable here. 3/5

T: Oh wow. That is full of pie spice with an emphasis on cloves. Misty mentioned artificial chocolate similar to Tootsie Rolls. Upon the suggestion, I'd have to agree. Bretty barnyard shows itself in spades along with some lactic tart notes highlighted by lemon zest. There's quite a bit of residual sweetness here as well. It would seem that there's still some residual sugars kicking around. It's extremely unique in my experience with saisons and is an extreme beer that is wildly in line with my personal taste. I reward interesting and unique beers I like, and I'll make no exception here. I love this flavor profile. 5/5

M: The spice numbs my tongue while the viscosity coats it at the same time. Fine carbonation tries to keep this clean but it still finishes a little gummy. It does however feel about as big as it tastes so it's pretty appropriate. 4/5

O: About as interesting a beer as I've had in a while. Fantome was of interest to me before this bottle but just landed itself square on my most curious Belgian brewery list. I'm going to be forced to track down the harder to get bottles as well now. A fine example of unrestrained brewing imagination. Try one of these out for a little fun and a hell of a ride! 4.5/5

4.32/5  rDev +8%

"07" Belgian Blonde style.

A: Poured a bright, hazy golden-orange with a thin beige head that quickly dissipated. Visible carbonation was light.

S: spicy and perfumy full of bananas, cloves, and curacao oranges and bearing a slight resemblance to a Franziskaner wheat, mmmm.

T: The flavor was rich with with strong flavors of creamy bananas, cloves, and tart oranges. There was a slight acidic bite in the swallow. There was a nice honey malt sweetness as well fruitiness (apples, pears) along with some light underlying herbal hoppiness. The beer finished with a nice yeasty spiciness, most notably cloves with a touch of sourness that blended well with the dry orange and malty palate.

M: The mouthful was creamy from the wheat bill with some warm oranges and a slight fizziness from the carbonation.

D: Overall really malty per style and a great example of an extreme blonde. Outstanding.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

a newbie i picked up lat night as i try to work my way through the fantome lineup, its getting harder and harder to find these! opened earlier and poured into a tulip.

Very nice and extremely hazy golden yellow color came through immediately. Lots of sediment in here now as well. Huge carbonation profile could be seen with lots of chains of bubbles cascading up to the top of the glass to reinforce the huge champagne like head that came over the top of it. Lots of side glass lacing and a copious foam that would not quit. Very nice aroma here, lots of light grain, hints of grass, light lemon and a touch of grape. Nice airy smell gave way to a very nice flavor. Very light, and perfect for this summer day. First way was a slightly tart fresh grass like flavor. Some hints of peaches, pears, and a touch of tartness as well. Very nice light cereal grain flavor in the middle which became a touch bready as it warmed. Long finish of dried out bitter earthy notes and a touch of light fruit. Slightly sour on the tongue after a few moments. Fantastic carbonation kept it feeling very light and refreshing and this bottle was no issue at all to finish off as the profile was light, low abv and a wonderful bit of carbonation.

Overall I really thought this was a fantastic beer.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

750 ml bottle, no bottled-on date, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours an almost perfectly clear golden yellow color, topped with an inch of fluffy white head, nice retention, leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S- Really interesting aroma, lots of fruit (apple, pear, a bit of citrus) as well as strong spice, musky earth and yeast notes. Some clove, pepper and caramel malt as well, it smells awesome, and evolves as the beer warms up.

T- Similar to the nose, quite fruity with lots of apple, pear and a bit of citrus. There's a really perfect amount of tartness that I wasn't expecting from a saison, but it works really well. There's also some mild caramel malty sweetness in the center, with a dry, spicy finish. Musty, earthy yeast pulls everything together.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth and creamy, drinks pretty easily for 8.00%, although it's on the fuller side of medium.

O- A great saison, has a massive amount of complexity and character, the tart flavors also add a nice new dimension to the beer.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

02/13/08- Purchased at City Beer in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with no freshness info. Lovely off center applied label, probably by Dany himself. Poured into my Fantome tulip.

Appearance- Light blood orange colored pour. Lots of yeast sediment, especially towards the end of the bottle. Murky, but tiny particles and not lumps and chunks of yeast. A decent 3/4 inch head which remains at a slight rim for the duration. Leaves behind light whisps and patches of lace.

Smell- A wee bit of funk, but mostly lemon rind and a bit of corriander and maybe some star anise. Yeast is prevelent as well. Do I also detect some hops?

Taste- Lovely fruity mixture of lemon rind and lemonade tastes along with some orange peel as well. A good amount of corriander and also a pinch of confectioiers sugar to give it a bit of sweetness. For the most part it's mildly sour...or rather tart. Certainly not as sour as lambics or flanders styles.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated. At first right out the fride it's like taking a mouthfull of foam...as it settles though it actually develops a creamy mouthcoating and carbonation subsides to a nice brisk feeling rather than foamy. Creaminess really makes it nice going down.

Drinkability- Overall another very good beer from Dany. I would definitely purchase this one again if seen....for a reasonable price that is. I believe it was $13.99 or so, which might be just a touch too steep. Overall it's a great beer worth trying.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Served from bottle into a Fantome outlined ghost tulip. Poured a golden yellow with a minimal pure white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, spices, wood, funk, citrus, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, citrus, fruit, spices, wood, and grapes. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I was really impressed with this one being my first time trying it. Everything on this one just worked really well together and made it really easy to drink. I enjoyed this one so much that before I finished the bottle, I call my local bottle shop and had them put their last bottle on hold for me. A really tasty brew that everyone should have the chance to try. A well done brew by Fantôme.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Deep rusty copper body. Reddish-tan head about a finger and a half tall on first pour. Rood retention and nice sheet like lacing remains after each sip. Not typical saison appearance, but pretty inviting.

S: Musty. I am picking up some light sour cherries, caramel, apricots, leather, a bit of wood, and some restrained farmhouse funk.

T: Similar to the nose in overall flavor components, but its all comes together a bit differently. A bit more mild and muted.

M: Medium bodied. A little flatter than I'd like, even for a Fantôme. Soft sourness lingers just a tad in the finish.

D: A flavorful and unique saison. Would loved to have had the opportunity to drink this fresh.

4.24/5  rDev +6%

A: Flat looking straw colored beer. Large spherical bubbles quickly dissipate leaving a light dusting of foam.

S: Mmm, gets a good deal more interesting here. Firstly, a puff of funk, probably that signature Fantôme smell that I've heard of. How to describe it? Musty lemons, stale smoke, and sulfur? Then honey, woodsy must once my giant nostrils become accustomed to the smell.

T: More honey, herbal bitterness, Fantôme funk. Kind of reminds my of a funky mead. Not a very dry finish, though a bit floral. I dig it!

M: Lightly carbonated, oily on the tongue. Slight pucker that is quickly overridden by the honey sweetness.

O: This is a tough brewery to pigeonhole. I can't think of this as a saison but I really enjoy it for what it is. Tons of character and moderate complexity.

4.24/5  rDev +6%

A: This stuff pours straw yellow and has a uniform haze about it. Almost no head forms and what little bit of a ghostly white foam which did form dissipates rather quickly.

S: Smells insane. Huge funky presence meets red wine vinegar rotting lemon, and spicy crabapple.

T: Tart granny smith apple, spice and green grapes DOMINATE the palate. Its deliciously tart and fruity, not acrid as the nose might have suggested. The barnyard notes on the nose don't follow on the palate so much. I will say one gets the since that there are just a plethora of bugs swimming around in this stuff, and I wonder if they wouldn't continue to eat and let this beer mature over time. Perhaps even give it the carbonation which it lacks.

M: Full and coating. Oil slick.

O: Very unique stuff, a must try for fans of the funky sour stuff. Got to love Fantome!

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a very cloudy dark yellow color with no head at all. It appears very still with limited to no carbonation.

S: The aroma is amazingly complex. Earthy, funky, sour apples, lemon, grapefruit, grassy. All aspects are balanced as well, as none overpowers the other.

T: Not quite up to the standard set by the aroma, but it is still solid. Definitely more lemony and grapefruit-y in the taste. While the other aspects are present, they aren't as well balanced as the aroma.

M: Medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Very smooth with a crisp, tangy finish.

O: I really enjoyed this saison. It was honestly unlike any other saison I've had so far. While some aspects were a bit flawed, overall, it was very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to trying more from Fantome.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Viggo shared this one. thanks eric!

750ml bottle. sampled june 14/08.

pours deep orangey red with a small medium-density tan head. the head drops fairly fast and leaves spotty lace behind.

aroma is good. lots of fruit, making me think more of a belgian dark ale than a saison. date, fig, bit of raisin. nice floral character too. bit of alcohol. wheat bread. bit of cracker.

taste is good. light caramel. wheat bread. bit of cracker. hint of biscuit. date, fig, hint of raisin. light alcohol. bit of orange peel. some floral character here too.

mouthfeel is good. just above medium carbonation level. medium-light body. fairly dry finish.

drinkability is great. really nice floral and fruity character and a solid malt base balancing the alcohol out. a nice and unique saison.

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%

I must've got this at Premier in Buffalo just before Thanksgiving. 750 corked & caged into St. Bernie's chalice.

There's a single-finger head that dissipates quickly but leaves nice tight lacing. Quite a few floaties slipped through the goalie's careful pour - woops! Tried to be gentle with it. Body is the color of bleached copper.

Absolutely electric on the palate. Slight Brett horse-blanket funk with extra-dry Champagne tones. Sour citrus goodness blends with balsa wood and hop pine to create perfect austerity. Wow.

What happened? This gets to be a lot more perfumy than what I would expect. The sour nose doesn't really translate - I hate t say it but I'm getting some Andre Cold Duck here! It's stronger than the now-mild Brett funk. Perhaps a little too much candi sugar sweetness. This finally dissipates with warmth for the most part but definitely leaves a trace. Still, wel-crafted overall.

Take out the excess candi sugar and this is great. Alas, it's there so it's merely very good. Balanced in Beautiful Chemistry with understated Brett, good core Saison yeast electricity, hop pine and dry light oak, this treats the palate nicely.

This drinks well but would do even better without the residual sweetness. Nicely done nonetheless in the "Old World" tradition.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

I really enjoy these beers from Fantome. Pours with a fairly nice head, pretty good retention and lacing. Has a hazy amber color.

Smells of spices, wood, citrus and some sourness.

The sourness that is apparent on the nose comes through even more on the palate (not close to mouth puckering though). Also tastes of yeasty spices, alcohol, a bit of sweet malts and alcohol.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

A great find at the local whole foods! Shared with Ottovon before we part for the holidays.

A: light russet with a fizzy tan head that thinned out quickly.
S: citrus, sweet, grassy, pinesol
T: a little spice at the back of the tongue, which opens up into a funky yeasty citrus flavor
M, crisp and fizzy
D: to me, this is an easy drinking beer. I like the carbonation and the flavors are smooth and mellow enough to drink all night.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Another brew courtesy of RateBeers fishingnet. Thanks Ben!

A: Pours a nice bold amber color with a big and bold foamy head. The retention is wonderful with a nice stream of bubbles rising to the top.

S: Nice candy overriped fruit sweetness with hints of spice.

T: Tons of candy sugar sweetness melded into overripe summer fruits. Nice level of spice with a blast of yummy Belgian yeast.

M: Average body with wonderful carbonation.

Overall: Man do I love Fantome' This is just another wonderful offering by a wonderful brewer. Thanks Ben!

4.2/5  rDev +5%

A gusher of a bottle from Buffalo. Hazy orange liquid with a large head, great lace and retention. Its really, a striking saison, and its prolific retnetion is aided by an evidently active carbonation.

The nose is exceptionally fruity, with strong notes of mango, papaya, and other delicious tropical things. Some sweet vanilla creeps in, along with grass and hay. This is also present in the flavour, although its the fruit tones dominate. Indeed, if asked to identify the distinguishing characteristic of this saison I would point to its tropical bouqet and flavour, which surprises me, as I found the regular Fantome vinous, funky and with a light sour touch. This is obviously a diffrent beast! What else to say? Dry finish with a hint of funk, but more would be better. Occasional cider notes. Refreshing summery quality with the alchol well-concealed (it really need not be so big). The body is medium-full and almost creamy, and certainly pleasing in the mouth.

The flavour is great, but could be better. That aside everything else is pretty near exceptional. Fantomes don't come cheaply, and the cost-value ratio on this isn't as good as it could be because the beer lacks the complexity that it needs to have me plunk down $13 again, but its certainly worth a try.

Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light) from Brasserie Fantôme