Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light) - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light)Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light)

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 12-27-2007

This listing is for the label depicting a white background with black spots.
4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle courtesy of yourefragile at a recent Fantome tasting. Served in a Fantome tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a mostly-clear blonde color with a nice white head. The nose has plenty of acid plus some lemon and apricot. The flavor is pungent with lots of fruit and acid. Sharply pungent, slightly stinging the corners of my mouth. Light body and a very dry finish. Very solid brew. (386 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%

A: It pours a pale yellow color with some cloudy clarity at best. There was a pop when I removed the cork put it poured really close to dead flat. No head with some small bubbles hitting the surface.

S: There are some strong citrus notes up front with a serious cheesy funky smell not far behind. The more I smell it I am reminded of a dry white wine.

T: The flavor is very vinous in quality with a nice kick of citrus to back it up. The lack of carbonation is not bothering as much as I anticipated. It still manages to finish clean and dry.

M: The feel is a bit thin without the bubbles, but at least it isn't overly sweet and syrupy.

O: I wish this one would have been properly carbonated as I can see myself enjoying it a bit more. It still is good brew, but falls short of what it could be. (801 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -29.7%

From 11/05/11 notes. Bottle shared by yourfragile at the mega-Fantome tasting. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a murky dark yellow with light carbonation evident and less than an inch of white head.

s - Smells of citrus hops and a tiny bit sulfur-ish. Not sure if this is a bad bottle or what, but overall the smell is not very good.

t - Tastes of lemons, citrus hops, apples, and lightly sour fruits. Much better than the nose but still not great.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. A little bit undercarbonated.

o - Overall not my favorite Fantome. Nose seemed a bit off, and the taste was a little sour and faint. Wouldn't seek it out again. (684 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by yourefragile. Thanks Michael.

Sampled alongside twenty other Fantôme beers.

The beer appears a very hazy yellow, with virtually no head or lacing.

The aroma is something to behold. I'm not sure if I love it, despise it, or both. Since I keep sticking my nose in the glass searching for an answer, it must be alright. Ripe onions and funky apricots amid a yeasty, floral base. Truly unique.

The flavor is tart, sour, intense. Apricots and Vidalia onions. Sharp and puckering. Acetic. This beer sinks into your cheeks.

Medium bodied with low carbonation. Lip smacking and cheek burning tartness.

Overall, a unique brew, and worth a try, though certainly not my favorite Fantôme of the lot. (713 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured form bottle into 25cL karmeliet tulip. Opens with almost no pop

Ar: Sweaty smoke, funky in a not great way. This is a strange beer. tart, the smoke dominates, lemony acidity

Ap: Clear gold, light white head, good retention

T: A distinct smokey character, like smoked nuts, was the first thing that stood out. Fruity sweetness, mildly tart. Smokey spice finish. A pleasant mild saison character in there with lemon and mild hop spice, but funky barbecue dominates the finish.

M: Light body, medium carb, slight tartness, lingering smokey feel.

O: I know there can often be unique spicing in these beers but this smokeyness really caught me off guard. It is interesting and weird. I don't think this is what the beer ought to taste like. (747 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Cloudy, hazy, and murky orange, yellow, and gold with nearly no head whatsoever. There is very little carbonation here and lots and lots of chunky sediment.

Bright floral and citrus aromas with peach and apricot leading the way. As the beer warms, the citrus become more and more present. It's quite nice and very unique.

This is a very sweet saison dominated by peach citrus. There's nearly no bitterness whatsoever, and while very simple, it's very tasty. It's more like a fresh (peach) juice than any other beer I've had.

Medium bodied with very low carbonation, though I think it works quite well with these flavors.

A strangely unique beer, but very tasty. I suspect this one to be very polarizing; if you're expecting or hoping for anything other than a juicy peach saison, look elsewhere. If that sounds like something you'd quite enjoy, buy a case! (That being said, with Fantome's batch/bottle variation, who knows what one may find!) (986 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Pours a hazy gold with no head whatsoever. Displays a brilliant, shimmering golden hue with faint orange highlights when held up to the light. If this had a head, it would look great.

S: Earthy, lactic yeast funk on the nose with hints of citrus, grass, and some sort of peppery spice. As the beer warms, these scents blend beautifully.

T: Opens tart with assertive notes of grapefruit, lemon, bitter orange, kumquat, grass, salty brine, and oaky, lactic yeast. The finish lingers for a long while, displaying a mixture of citrus, yeast, and alcohol flavors.

M: Medium-to-full bodied, dry, and firm with practically no carbonation. Quite frankly, I doubt this beer would feel as heavy as it does if it were a bit livelier.

O: I like this beer, but Fantome produces far better. Still, the worst Fantome is better than the best beer produced by some breweries. I love the fact that the flavor reminded me of a good Sauvignon Blanc until that yeasty farmhouse funk set in to remind me I was drinking a beer. A very interesting effort, but probably the least appealing of the Fantome beers I have tried. (1,106 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

A- A very bright golden color; lighter hue. looks like a white wine. Has little to no carbonation. i poured it pretty hard from the bottle and got a very slight agitation that ended quickly; left no head or lacing.

S- Smells just like a white wine or mead. Fruity earthy aromas, some alcoholic qualities; some slight burn in the nostrils.

T- Exactly what the nose led onto be. Just like a blend of mead and a light white wine. Not sour, but has some slight tart hidden in there. Very interesting flavors, unlike any beer ive had, but keeps turning my mind towards wine. Im really digging this beer.

M- Lite body with a syrup quality that isnt heavy or unpleasant. Like i said before, no carb at all.

O- Very interesting beer, if i can call it that. I really enjoyed this, much like all the Fantomes ive had, but this stood apart from all the others. Truly a unique beverage and experience. (893 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +3%

Hazy yellow, not much head or lacing. Looks boring, but that is just another one of the fantome's tricks...

Sweet lemon, sweet tarts and other assorted candies, apple, pear, excellent smell really. It has a distinct nose, something I've smelt before and love but it's hard to place.

A bit of a sour pang in this one which adds a nice element to the sweet, rich full fruity flavor. Yeast and a dry mouthfeel carry out into the taste.

Very dry and clean finish. Leaves my lips feeling chapped.

I was really looking to be critical in this review, but it really is just a splendid beer by such a cool and talented brewery. (623 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

750ml corked and capped bottle served in a red wine glass. Lot B - best before July 2014 indicated on the label. Pours a beautiful honey-amber hue with a semi-hazy clarity and a dense, 1.5 inch khaki-colored head embedded with ringlets and pinpricks. Head eventually settles into a creamy, broken cap. Some lacing appears after each tilt, but adhesion is limited to only a few residual spots. Nose is very subdued - a suggestion of grass, citrus, candi sugar, honeydew melon and spice. Taste is a bit difficult to describe. A tea-like flavor dominates but there is also a muddled spiciness reminiscent of chai that follows, as well as a hint of citric acid to round out the edges. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to medium in body) with a pleasant, even carbonation and a bit of acidity. I also get a slightly dry sensation on the tongue at the finish. Nothing about this beer screams Saison, but I have to say that I really like it. It's complex and interesting and unlike any other Fantome I've had to date. Definitely worth the price (I paid $14.79) if you have the opportunity to try it, but don't expect it to taste anything like Fantome's flagship. (1,160 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Darker than most Fantome’s I’ve had to date. This is more of amber cranberry color with some orange highlights. Thick off white head and lots of carbonation from the looks of it. Can’t wait to try it, looks wonderful! 4

S: Smell is of apples, cooked orchard apples predominantly. This is most probably intentional and not acetylaldehyde (a command off flavor). Also, another first impression I got was that it smelled like a “holiday” beer. Perhaps there are some spices in here. Who knows though...only Dany knows. I was also hoping for more of that Fantome tangy tartness but it seems to be devoid here. 3.5

T&M: Taste pretty much follows the nose (which is what I love about Fantome...aroma and taste are very much intertwined). Lots of green apple flavor, not too heavy but definitely the dominant flavor. Carbonation level is perfect for the style and mouthfeel is crisp with a medium-light body. Clean finish. 3.5 / 4

O: Overall, not my favorite Fantome to date, but not something to shy away from. The regular Saison sets the bar pretty damn HIGH, but compared to other beers this is great. The apple flavor is not too intense, but still recognizable. It drinks easy, is refreshing and smells like apples. Good stuff! 4 (1,242 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +20%

A: amber to a dark brown body with a creamy white head
S: woods, lavender, green apple, lemon zest, FUNK, grass
T: lemon, orange, citrusy fruits, earthy/grassy, sweet and sour. Very interesting indeed.
M: highly carbonated, slightly creamy like skim milk, very drying
O: 1st fantome experience, definitely not my last. This beer is awesome and looking forward to more tastes of their products! Definitely try this! (414 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a bright, hazy golden color with no head whatsoever, just some white bubbles that immediately disappear. Scent is like no other beer I've had before. I've smelled beers with funk before, but this thing is FUNKY! Some very unique musty aromas coming from this beer. There are also heavy lemon and wooden aromas. The lemon and must are the heavy hitters in the nose. Taste is very similar to how it smells. Immediately, I get some very tart lemon (wasn't expecting it to be this tart)... not mouth-puckering, but very tart. Hints of citrus (a TON of grapefruit) and grass. There are some wooden flavors along with light hoppiness. It finishes with some funk and musty lemon flavors. Mouthfeel is hardly carbonated, as it drinks more like a wine. Extremely dry. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this is a VERY TASTY beer... the only thing keeping me from falling head over heels over it is the lack of carbonation. I still haven't been able to appreciate still beers like others tend to. I like my beer carbonated...at least a little bit. But amazing beer nonetheless. (1,076 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

a newbie i picked up lat night as i try to work my way through the fantome lineup, its getting harder and harder to find these! opened earlier and poured into a tulip.

Very nice and extremely hazy golden yellow color came through immediately. Lots of sediment in here now as well. Huge carbonation profile could be seen with lots of chains of bubbles cascading up to the top of the glass to reinforce the huge champagne like head that came over the top of it. Lots of side glass lacing and a copious foam that would not quit. Very nice aroma here, lots of light grain, hints of grass, light lemon and a touch of grape. Nice airy smell gave way to a very nice flavor. Very light, and perfect for this summer day. First way was a slightly tart fresh grass like flavor. Some hints of peaches, pears, and a touch of tartness as well. Very nice light cereal grain flavor in the middle which became a touch bready as it warmed. Long finish of dried out bitter earthy notes and a touch of light fruit. Slightly sour on the tongue after a few moments. Fantastic carbonation kept it feeling very light and refreshing and this bottle was no issue at all to finish off as the profile was light, low abv and a wonderful bit of carbonation.

Overall I really thought this was a fantastic beer. (1,281 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%

Hazy golden color, completely hard to see through. No real lacing or retention.

Smells of lemon, hay, and funk.

Wowza, tons of lemon tartness, funk, hay, horse blanket. Damned tasty and complex. Slight minerality.

Spritzy, refreshing, tart. Farily light.

Really tasty, enjoyable, and quaffabl. (297 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +5%

A: Flat looking straw colored beer. Large spherical bubbles quickly dissipate leaving a light dusting of foam.

S: Mmm, gets a good deal more interesting here. Firstly, a puff of funk, probably that signature Fantôme smell that I've heard of. How to describe it? Musty lemons, stale smoke, and sulfur? Then honey, woodsy must once my giant nostrils become accustomed to the smell.

T: More honey, herbal bitterness, Fantôme funk. Kind of reminds my of a funky mead. Not a very dry finish, though a bit floral. I dig it!

M: Lightly carbonated, oily on the tongue. Slight pucker that is quickly overridden by the honey sweetness.

O: This is a tough brewery to pigeonhole. I can't think of this as a saison but I really enjoy it for what it is. Tons of character and moderate complexity. (789 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%

A: mahogany/cherry wood colored, thick bubbly head is short lived, leaving behind no trace.

S: very floral, smells like perfume or potpourri, lavender, green apple, sherry, rosé wine, Flintstones chewable vitamins.

T: lavender, amazing I've never tasted that in a beer, prunes and dried apricot, dark cherries, Flintstones vitamins.

M: medium bodied, perfect amount of carbonation, not too much, not too little, sweet mellow finish.

O: so awesome, manages to be fruity and flowery while still being 'beer' beer. Also the vitamin smell and flavor brings me right back to my childhood. (588 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +5%

A: This stuff pours straw yellow and has a uniform haze about it. Almost no head forms and what little bit of a ghostly white foam which did form dissipates rather quickly.

S: Smells insane. Huge funky presence meets red wine vinegar rotting lemon, and spicy crabapple.

T: Tart granny smith apple, spice and green grapes DOMINATE the palate. Its deliciously tart and fruity, not acrid as the nose might have suggested. The barnyard notes on the nose don't follow on the palate so much. I will say one gets the since that there are just a plethora of bugs swimming around in this stuff, and I wonder if they wouldn't continue to eat and let this beer mature over time. Perhaps even give it the carbonation which it lacks.

M: Full and coating. Oil slick.

O: Very unique stuff, a must try for fans of the funky sour stuff. Got to love Fantome! (846 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

I've bought at least one example of every Fantome I can find in Portland. The base Fantome Saison is my bench mark for the style and a beer I've had three times prior to just now with the last bottle being drunk just before this one. Judging by the limited reviews, it would appear that this one is sort of tough to come by. Split into a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with my wife TulipSnifter.

A: Appears similar to amber wildflower honey colored in the glass. Huge voluminous snow white head forces me to pour by parts into my glass as the head recedes. Insane amounts of lace sheets cover my glass. Surprisingly it's very leggy and viscous as well. It doesn't get any better looking than this. 5/5

S: Not as big of an aroma as the beer I had previously. What I can pick up on are the lighter ester notes I associate with belgian saisons such as sweet over-ripened bananas, generic fruit punch. It's unique for sure, but I'm left wanting a little more. An average score seems perfectly acceptable here. 3/5

T: Oh wow. That is full of pie spice with an emphasis on cloves. Misty mentioned artificial chocolate similar to Tootsie Rolls. Upon the suggestion, I'd have to agree. Bretty barnyard shows itself in spades along with some lactic tart notes highlighted by lemon zest. There's quite a bit of residual sweetness here as well. It would seem that there's still some residual sugars kicking around. It's extremely unique in my experience with saisons and is an extreme beer that is wildly in line with my personal taste. I reward interesting and unique beers I like, and I'll make no exception here. I love this flavor profile. 5/5

M: The spice numbs my tongue while the viscosity coats it at the same time. Fine carbonation tries to keep this clean but it still finishes a little gummy. It does however feel about as big as it tastes so it's pretty appropriate. 4/5

O: About as interesting a beer as I've had in a while. Fantome was of interest to me before this bottle but just landed itself square on my most curious Belgian brewery list. I'm going to be forced to track down the harder to get bottles as well now. A fine example of unrestrained brewing imagination. Try one of these out for a little fun and a hell of a ride! 4.5/5 (2,249 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +11.6%

thanks to augustgarage for this one! Poured into my brand-new fantome tulip.

A- Golden yellow, thin head, tiny bubbles on the outer ring. Carbonation, not a lot though. Nothing special.

S- Intense funk on this one. Sour fruit and stinky cheese.

T- Sweet fruit, orange and pineapple. Very juicy and tart (tart moreso than full-blown sour), very funky. Briny or salty, earthy in the finish with a lingering sweetness.

M- Almost still, but drinks very well. Fantastic flavors blend harmoniously. Slightly acidic in the finish. No sign of ABV.

O- Very impressed. Very funky stuff, one of the more 'out there' saisons I've had- this one shares a lot with other belgian styles like lambic/gueuze. An exceptional beer.

624 (724 characters)

1 Pint.
50th brewery tried.
46th beer style tried.

Pours a hazy dark copper amber with a finger width off white bubbly head. Lots of carbonation present. Nose is spicy, farmhouse funk, belgian yeast, sweet. Taste is similiar to the nose, theres a sweet spicyness on the palatte paired with the distinct Belgian malts. Light 'Blonde Ale' characteristics too. Medium bodied and mouthfeel. At 8%, this should work just fine for this afternoon. I'm thinking it would be a wonderful beer to revisit this summer. Pricey!, but worth a try. Interesting introduction to the style. (572 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%

Really excited to see this (and many other Fantôme beers) on the shelves recently! Poured from a green-glass capped-and-corked 750mL bottle into my Troubadour tulip.

Quite murky citrine body with a faint limoncello glow. Vigorous pour produces no head whatsoever, and there is barely a collar created by the sluggish microbubbles. Perhaps an older vintage?

Herbaceous savory fragrance, floral in a weird way (marigolds? lilacs? huh?), with syrupy fruit notes suggesting loquat, leechee nuts, and fermenting pear. A low Brett. note floats around as well.

Chalky and bracingly tart on the palate - the sourness gives way slowly to overripe pear again, reminding me something of a warhead. Yellow sorrel, lemon drops, and a hint of tallegio and aspirin fill out the profile. Very "wild" - the funkiest of the Fantôme family I've yet to sample. Not skunked, no diacetyl, not "off," despite my initial misgivings...

Quite creamy thanks to all the yeast, but very thin with insufficient carbonation.

As strange as it is, this one is growing on me, but it is definitely one for afficianados only...a farmhouse ale with hints of the outhouse? (1,144 characters)

Poured a burnt orange in color with yellow highlights that had a thin head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. It had the signature fantome bretty oak funky character in the aroma with mild citrus, vinegar, and faint dark fruits. It didi have some caramel and brown sugar as well. Pears apples flavors blend quite well with the bretty funky oaky character but had vinegar dark fruit citrusy accents and a touch of caramel in the background. The brew was medium in body with a good amount of prickly carbonation which had a oaky, vinegar, sweet, mild fruity, and tart finish. I thought it was decent from fatome and kinda was a little dissapointed cause I heard it was gonna be bomb but was let down. (711 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A great find at the local whole foods! Shared with Ottovon before we part for the holidays.

A: light russet with a fizzy tan head that thinned out quickly.
S: citrus, sweet, grassy, pinesol
T: a little spice at the back of the tongue, which opens up into a funky yeasty citrus flavor
M, crisp and fizzy
D: to me, this is an easy drinking beer. I like the carbonation and the flavors are smooth and mellow enough to drink all night. (433 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks for sharing with me whiterascal!

A: pours a coppery orange color, with an off white head that fell quickly, but is hanging around on the top of the beer.

S: smells of citrus, a little caramely and like toffee. a nice bready, belgiany yeast smell as well.

T: taste is bready, a little toffee. i get some apple in there. it is crisp and a little tart. a little bit of bitterness in the finish.

M: it has a medium body with good carbonation.

D: very drinkable. I could drink the whole 750. (501 characters)

Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Light) from Brasserie Fantôme