1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme Pissenlit - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme PissenlitFantôme Pissenlit

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Pissenlit Alström Bros
Ratings: 338 | Reviews: 207 | Show All Ratings:
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.17/5  rDev -47.1%

from a 750 into a wine glass, as it was either that or a frosted mug (no way!).

Note- there was ZERO carbonation in this bottle. None. Never had a flatter beer.

A- A ....dandelion color. Almost a hazy pineapple juice with a dash of copper coloration. absolutely zero head.

S- Funky, for sure. Wet grass clippings, mild earthy/wheat notes, and a hint of stinky artisan cheese.

T- Follows the nose. Funky, grassy, a bit harsh considering the style. There's definite horse-blanket and musty cobweb flavors, a mild (rotten?) fruit note, hmmm.... The taste is decidedly more earthy than the nose would suggest. This flavor is not my favorite.

M- Here's where the beer falls apart. NO carbonation. I've never had a less carbonated beer. I feel if there was a bit of zing in this beer, it would have gone a long way to smoothing out the flavors and not being so heavy on the tongue. As it is, I struggled to finish this beer. Absolutely horrible lack of carbonation. You could pass this off as juice or tea... honestly.

D- Low to none. If this beer was carbonated, the off-putting flavors might have worked better. As it is, I cannot recommend this beer. I feel let down, as Fantome Saison is one of my top all-time beers, and I was looking forward to see what else in their lineup would knock my socks off. This one did not.

I may have had a bad bottle, due to the lack of carbonation... but @ $13 a bottle I won't be buying another one to confirm.

10-11-2009 13:38:45 | More by ShogoKawada
champ103

2.45/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pour a clear yellow color. A one finger white head rises, then recedes in a second. No lace.
S: Funky, cheese, and plastic phenols. Some lemon and vinegar tartness in the nose as well. Though mostly, plastic band aid aromas.
T: Follows the nose with an intense funk and plastic phenolic flavor. Very unpleasant and harsh. A bit of lemony tartness works it way through, but very one sided.
M/D: A light to medium body. Very effervescent, and dry. To much so. I can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A little watery as well. Not something I want to drink.

After several tries of this, it is time to put my thoughts down. I did not enjoy this. To much plastic phenols for me tastes. I found nothing here I want to come back to.

04-30-2013 00:26:19 | More by champ103
akorsak

2.58/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a 750 mL bottle of Pissenlit 2003 served in a goblet. The ale is cold.

A: The saison has a hazy yellow-orange color with big head that does not lace well.

S: The smell is very funky, barnyard, almost unpleasant.

T: Taste has a slightly lactic, pucker edge. Flavor is very gamey and funky. There are no discernible flavors that grab you, as the beer has taken the natural fermentation too far.

M: Not good, the flavors are at once sour and harsh.

D: Below average, pass on this for Fantome Saison. Again Fantôme confounds me. The ale is cutting edge, but too far off said edge, making it difficult to enjoy.

08-19-2006 01:22:07 | More by akorsak
cfrances33

2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

Bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Deep, dark orange body, with two fingers of off white soapy head. Head hangs around for a while and leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell: Burst of lemony citrus right from the popping of the cork. Some white pepper, a light funk, and a light astringency.

Taste: More citrus and lemon, plus some nice yeasty sweetness. White pepper and cloves come out next, along with some bread and a light hay. The only downside is a light rubber cement on the finish... I'm glad I consumed this now because I feel like this flavor would grow given time.
EDIT: As it warms, this is awful. Straight up rubber cement

Mouthfeel: Rather heavier than I was expecting for a "spring" saison. Juicy, yet dry. A slightest hint of alcohol comes through on the finish.

Overall: Enjoyable at first, but the rubber cement becomes overpowering.

12-17-2012 04:26:14 | More by cfrances33
scottfrie

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Thanks to SneezyAchew for handing me this one.

A: Oh shit. Slime bottle. Big time. This shit pours like snot mixed with honey. I filled up about half the ‘bowl’ of the tulip, and a finger of thin head appeared. Miraculously though, over the course of about 5 minutes the extremely dense and fine head slowly rose up and filled the rest of the glass all the way to the brim. This very impressive column of foam sat there for over the ten minutes it took me to muster the courage to take a sip of this beer. I think the head would have lasted until the next morning had I left this glass on the counter. Liquid score = 1, head score and retention = 5. Appearance score = 3.0? Sure why not.
S: I get notes of vinous white wine, oak barrel, dandelions, grass, earthy must, and strange notes of a good kind of funk mixed with a sharp pediococcus and lactic bad kind of funk. Am I going to get sick from drinking this? I get some notes of lemon and citrus as well.
T: Flavor follows the nose. It’s a little sharp but actually not that bad. Citrus rind, flowers, oak, and sharp wee beasties dominate. Very earthy and spring-like all around. The finish is very gritty and dry, and my mouth is coated in some kind of film after each swallow.
M: Very thick, chewy and creamy. This isn’t thick in a stout kind of way, this is thick in a cough syrup type of way. This is about the farthest thing from refreshing as you could get. The head is like drinking mousse.
O: What a disappointment. I drank as much as I could but there’s no way my stomach could handle a whole bottle of this. It wasn’t so much the taste as the appearance and the texture. This just didn’t satisfy my beer or saison craving.

02-03-2012 02:46:25 | More by scottfrie
HopHead84

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Consumed on 9/18/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks for opening this, Torry. The beer is a hazed tangerine orange with a miniscule white head. It appears nearly still.

For a liquid avatar of dandelions the smell is pretty good. It's floral with notes of peach. I notice pepper and clove. The taste is light and fruity, with apparent peach and apricot. It's slightly tart with a hint of spiciness. This tastes interesting for what it is.

The mouthfeel ruins this beer. It's almost dead flat with a horrendous viscosity and stickiness that is detrimental to the beer. I had to choke down my 8 ounce sample. Had I been alone I would have drain poured the bottle.

09-24-2009 22:48:55 | More by HopHead84
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

Almost got rid of this. The pour is ridiculous. The head blossoms out of the bottom and looks like big chunks of foam, or yest. It looks like a solid object. I left about a 1/4 inch of space at the top of the glass and within 5 seconds, it was oozing over the sides of the glass. The head is shiny too, almost like its got vegetable oil in it. I had to wrap the glass in a towel to absorb the constant overflow. Even after drinking some of the head, it would continue to rise and overflow. I figure I lost nearly 1/4 of the beer to this. And the head is very thick - thicker than the beer. This was almost enough to stop me.

Aside from the 2/3 of the beer that is white head the rest is a cloudy orange. The head never really settles.

Funky, sour barnyard-y scent. Quite sour. Not sure if that's due to the dandelions or not.

The taste is quite a bit mellower, not nearly as sour. Still, there are noticeable citrus hints. Fresh, farm-y malt taste. Very dry.

Mouthfeel is so-so. The beer itself is lightly carbonated, and pleasantly zesty. But the head never goes away, and it is too thick and oily. Really ruins this.

I'd try more of Fantome's beers...but this one will not be revisited.

10-10-2011 02:25:21 | More by BDTyre
GRG1313

3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Cloudy orange/amber with no head.

Fantastic "Fantome" nose of barnyard funk, sour, honey, dandilions and unripe peaches and a heavy nose of corn tortilla (yeast).

Mouthfeel is medium and a bit creamy but basically flat; super light carbonation. Low carbonation.

Flavors are sour, bitter apple and while assertive somehow thin and not particularly appealing. Not really drinkable but I confess that it grows on you a bit as you try it. A bad bottle? Will try again.

12-05-2009 07:21:50 | More by GRG1313
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.2/5  rDev -22%

So it is not everyday I get to crack a new bottle from Fantome. I was actually quite excited to try this one. I had heard some really nice things. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 09/15/2009.

Ehh on the pour. No head at all, minor bubbles on the side that quickly left and only the slightest bit of lace apparent and even that faded off quite quickly. Dull golden color without much in the way of life in it. Again not terribly impressed here. Aroma was light, small hint of tart apple, lots of grain notes and hints of light floral touches bouncing around the outside of it. But far too light for me to be really engaged. Light flavor, grape peel, flowers, hints of light grassy notes and a lightness to it that really just seemed off to me. Flat feeling on the sips as well, really just not coming across that great to me at all. Light and easy to drink, but I just did not feel really compelled to follow through on it any more, just did not hold my interest.

Overall it was ok, but I would not really have the need to go back to it again. Probably the least complex thing I have had from them by far. Not sure what it was intended to come across as but I am hoping this was not it.

09-17-2009 00:55:09 | More by mikesgroove
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

Ayellow golden beer with a settling head that is quite creamy and lacing like all Fantome beers.

Smell is light tart with spicy notes and even some maltiness. For a Fantome beer the tartness is quite mild and leaves some room for the malt, which has some caramel malt in there. The pissenlits are present, but that is just because I know. It gives the beer a green, grassy smell. Again very subdued.

Taste is light tart and like the smell this can not be called tart, rather it has a light sourness, that tastes like light lactic acid. There is a herbal, green taste to the beer, like chewing fresh grass. The dandelions must give some bitterness too, which is a tad sharp.
Body is quite thin. Mouthfeel is rough and dry.
Without the typical tartness, this beer has nothing sticking out and is not the best of the Fantome range, although a lot of people will disagree.

06-20-2008 19:30:34 | More by Absumaster
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for the opportunity to try this one. Poured a hazy orange with tiny bubbles adhering to the bowl of the glass - zero head, just a tight white band around the perimeter of the glass. Nose was citrus, a little funk, wet horse blanket, a little candi sugar, some sour apple and perhaps a little apricot. Taste consistent with nose; a little tart and the flavors were muted. Mouthfeel really destroyed this one for me - body was between light and medium; however, no carbonation at all. Culminates in a dry finish. Flavorful with a great deal of complexity in the nose; however, the lack of carbonation on this one kills this beer. I'll need to re-try this down the line. I was a bit disappointed by this offering from Fantome - hopefully it was just a bad bottle.

Retried this beer on 5/27/2013:
There's at least a little carbonation this time around; however it is minimal. There's also a smoked malt quality to the flavor which doesn't really come out in the nose that is reminiscent of a Rauchbier.

08-10-2009 15:21:37 | More by Jwale73
rudzud

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Picked up in Vermont. So this is Fantome's dandelion beer. Lets see how it stacks up to Hill Farmsteads Vera Mae. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear very dark gold with a MASSIVE four finger fizzy white head that slumped down to leave sticky side lacing and a dense, dense quarter inch white head. Quite nice.

S - Light earthy notes along with some faint alcohol notes and that subtle bitter vegetation that comes with dandelions. Not quite as citrusy as Vera Mae.

T - Taste is...well, a bit harsher than I was expecting. Lots of alcohol here, shocking amounts due to it being Fantome. Some faint barnyard funk, along with dandelion. Wow. Can't get over how much alcohol is in this!

M - Mouthfeel isnt bad. Lots of carbonation. Helps it be not quite as boozey but damn.

O - Overall, the harshness of the booze is incredibly rough. Ugh. Maybe some age will help this even out.

12-20-2012 04:45:50 | More by rudzud
Halcyondays

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy light orange with a minimal white head, spots of lace, I like the colour, but it looks gloopy.

S: Nice nose, complex notes of lemon and dandelions/wild greens, light funk.

T: Orange, lemon form the predominate flavour, nice complexity, some lactic character.

M: I've got a problem here obviously. This beer is flat, very very minor carbonation if that. Feels viscous and thick in the mouth, like orange juice mixed with maple syrup. Feels almost like Sauternes, but this doesn't have the sweetness and alcohol to make that work; this isn't white wine. Some crisp carbonation would do wonders here. This is not a style where I can forgive this error. This part of the beer sucks. Reminds me of the ropey Cantillon I got some months back.

D: The flavour is good, but the mouthfeel sucks, because of that, I can't recommend this especially at the price point. The Printemps from Fantome is a considerably better buy at this price.

02-10-2010 02:55:52 | More by Halcyondays
PatandDavid

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

Oh my, 8%...I couldn't tell. Had on tap at 'bones last evening. Cloudy chesnut when served, it came topped with a filmy tan head. It pretty much stayed the course. I am getting candi sugar, mustiness, and some kriek like notes from the aroma. Medium in mouthfeel, low carbonation, my tasting notes say: barnyard, dried horsesweat...very horseblankety in flavor. There are some krieklike notes (sour), and also some tannins in the finish. Tasty and unique...but I wouldn't want to drink it all day. One is enough.

11-02-2004 13:43:18 | More by PatandDavid
ricke

Sweden

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Hazy orange with a medium-sized off-white head. Some lacings.

S: The aroma is really strange and hard to pinpoint. Malts reminiscent of wheat crackers, a lot of odd spices, some herbal notes. Notes of lemon and yeast.

T: The taste is better than the smell, but still very strange. Somewhat sweet and mildly tart flavors. Notes of malts, odd spices, fresh herbal notes, grass and earthy yeast. Perhaps something in the line of dandelions, but I might be reading to much into this. The finish is mildly bitter and somewhat spicy with notes of malts. Thankfully this one developed nicely in the glass. At first, it was quite bad, but it got better and after a while I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

M: Medium body with somewhat lively carbonation.

D: A strange beer. Decent at best. Very interesting, but flavor-wise it's not very impressive.

10-17-2009 16:22:35 | More by ricke
IBUnit63

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into Duvel tulip

Not a whole lot of head. AT ALL. Has a cider/honey viscous quality to it. Slightly turbid. Rustic? On style? I dunno. Not doing a whole lot for me, so for style, I'd say average to slightly below.

Definitely a sweet dandelion thing going on. That's OK. A little Styrian Goldings hoppiness. Definitely herbal; fortunately not chamomile. The dandelion makes it interesting but maybe the sweetness is a little bit much.

I like the acidity here - a trademark of most of the Fantome offerings I've sampled. Still, there's no zip on this fastball. Borderline syrupy. It's got a kick and some nice flavor of dandelion greens. Still, it could use a little pick-me-up.

The little acidity is a savior here, 'cause otherwise it would be sort of hop/dandelion syrup. Very flat but tangy on the finish. Saison? Not in the current sense. Good? Depends on the palate. Interesting? Definitely.

Man, every time I pay 2x other saisons to try a Fantome I sit there and say, "I'm trying. Damn...I'm trying." But quite a few of these have let me down. The culprit? Almost always the carbonation. No exception here. Give this some zip and I have to imagine it would be quite nice. As is it drinks pretty well. This has to be fixed.

08-21-2009 23:09:28 | More by IBUnit63
harrymel

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

Vint 2012?
Pours golden with and etched surface and excellent clarity. Skunk up front and a good dose of dantellion wine in the face. Some grain and sweet grain in there and good dose of clay. Flavor is grainy with a good sweetness and a nicely subdued yeast character. Nice hop character and nice sweetness. Medium bodied with sharp carb and a wet finish. Nice beer, but not something I’d go nuts for.

09-14-2012 06:43:22 | More by harrymel
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a tall tulip, I think this is a 2010 or 2011 but the label is ripped

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with some amber highlights. A finger of foam forms and quickly recedes to a film.

S: Lemons and Granny Smith apples intermingle very nicely to create a slightly sour smell.

T: Similar to smell, lemons and Granny Smith apples come together nicely. A bit minerally and grassy, this beer reminds me of spring.

M: Medium thickness with medium carbonation. Feels about right for the style.

O: The lemons and Granny Smith apples go well together, but I'm looking for a bit more in the style. Spices, funk, something else. This beer could be mistaken for cider. Decent nonetheless.

03-12-2013 03:33:47 | More by coreyfmcdonald
facundoCNB

3.51/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a deep amber pour, almost brown. 2 fingers of head which left behind a lot of nice lacing. smells very bready, wheat, some sweet dark fruits (raisin, plum, fig), white pepper, funky bubblegum-like belgian yeast. a weird rusty flavor, lots of raisins, very yeast oriented - a hint of brett but very charred-like woods as well.. this beer is like a funky "light" quad with a rusty overtone. in other words, not really my thing.

medium body with high carbonation, sweet and malty, funky with a dry finish.

if it weren't for the fact that it was cheapish and i was already pacing an order from belgium (so the shipping didn't give me a heart attack for a single bottle), i probably wouldn't have bothered with this one. i guess, too, with fantome it's hit or miss.. for me this was a miss - but some may like this style. i love saisons, but this was just more of a dark charred saison.. not my thing.

10-01-2013 00:54:49 | More by facundoCNB
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes sampled Aug 19 2010 at Eb's
Pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a smallish white head that quickly scatters. Smells earthy and herbal with a bit of a bready, sweet honey and funky edge. The flavor is like a saison but with a bit of a minty herbal edge. Bubbly dry fruity beer with a bit of tart and funk. Medium to light body with a crisp mouthfeel. Definitely a different beer, but not really to my tastes.

08-26-2012 17:44:09 | More by johnnnniee
beerguy101

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

A dandelion beer. Orange gold color, very hazy, small head. Grassy and earthy. Mellow and smooth. Complex flavors; herbal, grassy, spicy, slightly sweet, citrus and coriander. Not very hoppy. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet. And yes it a weird label, but a very interesting beer. . Worth seeking out

08-13-2003 03:55:34 | More by beerguy101
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured an orangey color ale with a huge off-white head with perfect retention. Aroma of light spices which possibly includes cumin with some subtle funky yeast. Finish is slightly bitter but I would have expected a bit more at the end. Body is way too thin which kind of ruined part of the experience for me. Alcohol is well hidden. Overall, this is a very fine saison but I guess I was expecting another funky spicy monster which is not what this is about it seems.

07-25-2005 14:42:20 | More by Phyl21ca
deBeers

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer was so much better once my palate adjusted to it. It was tart, acidic, almost like a cantillon I had that night, yet oh so drinkable once you could get into it. Very dry and SOUR but surprisingly irrestiblile if your taste buds don't run away. Hang it you think you can and it might just be a beer worth savoring because this is very unique..

Cheers!

11-30-2005 06:51:11 | More by deBeers
bennetj17

Arizona

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

Bottled 2004. Cloudy, orange/mahogany appearance with a full 1/2 inch head settling into a nice crust. There are plenty of flavors to note in the smell: spiced fruit, alcohol, pepper smoke, an hint of clove and some floral funk. Interesting. The flavor seems much different from the aroma as the malt tastes caramel-like with an aged smokiness and watery finish. I pick up some melon and tangy fruit as we go along, but I think this might be getting past its prime a bit. The body is slightly thin with a carbonation that starts out with some umph, but falls flat in the end. This beer had a decent drinkablility, and based on the flavors I think it would be better to only age about a year perhaps. Even when I tried a different bottle 8 months ago it was more interesting...

02-08-2007 18:03:06 | More by bennetj17
crossovert

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my 350th beer tried,woohoo.

This seems like beer that the brewer puts their hearts and muscle to.

Pours form the green 750 ml bottle into my tulip glass with a hazy orangeish amber with hints of brown. The head on the first glass I poured was rather thin, dissipated quickly, and had nice lacing. The second pour yielded a head that rose to the top of the glass, it was tight and golden marshmallow looking. It sticks for awhile. There is a lot of yeast in the bottom of this bottle that produces a brown tint to the beer.

The smell is great, fresh saison. No overt funk smell, but nice pronounced hops, a pinch of sour, some spice, and a bit of pear. The yeast is also there, producing the classic saison twang. There is a hint of flowery perfume scent in there, presumably the dandelion.

Slippery mouthfeel, not one of my favorites. The taste has some dandelion flavor, lots of sourness, some fruitiness, and some spice. A nice unique, tart saison without being too funky.

Overall a satisfying brew, I'm having it a bit warm, it probably would excel at a cold temperature.

11-18-2009 00:18:47 | More by crossovert