Fantôme Pissenlit - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme PissenlitFantôme Pissenlit

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Pissenlit Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -46.8%

from a 750 into a wine glass, as it was either that or a frosted mug (no way!).

Note- there was ZERO carbonation in this bottle. None. Never had a flatter beer.

A- A ....dandelion color. Almost a hazy pineapple juice with a dash of copper coloration. absolutely zero head.

S- Funky, for sure. Wet grass clippings, mild earthy/wheat notes, and a hint of stinky artisan cheese.

T- Follows the nose. Funky, grassy, a bit harsh considering the style. There's definite horse-blanket and musty cobweb flavors, a mild (rotten?) fruit note, hmmm.... The taste is decidedly more earthy than the nose would suggest. This flavor is not my favorite.

M- Here's where the beer falls apart. NO carbonation. I've never had a less carbonated beer. I feel if there was a bit of zing in this beer, it would have gone a long way to smoothing out the flavors and not being so heavy on the tongue. As it is, I struggled to finish this beer. Absolutely horrible lack of carbonation. You could pass this off as juice or tea... honestly.

D- Low to none. If this beer was carbonated, the off-putting flavors might have worked better. As it is, I cannot recommend this beer. I feel let down, as Fantome Saison is one of my top all-time beers, and I was looking forward to see what else in their lineup would knock my socks off. This one did not.

I may have had a bad bottle, due to the lack of carbonation... but @ $13 a bottle I won't be buying another one to confirm.

ShogoKawada, Oct 11, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -40%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pour a clear yellow color. A one finger white head rises, then recedes in a second. No lace.
S: Funky, cheese, and plastic phenols. Some lemon and vinegar tartness in the nose as well. Though mostly, plastic band aid aromas.
T: Follows the nose with an intense funk and plastic phenolic flavor. Very unpleasant and harsh. A bit of lemony tartness works it way through, but very one sided.
M/D: A light to medium body. Very effervescent, and dry. To much so. I can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A little watery as well. Not something I want to drink.

After several tries of this, it is time to put my thoughts down. I did not enjoy this. To much plastic phenols for me tastes. I found nothing here I want to come back to.

champ103, Apr 30, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

HookemHoos, Oct 03, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a 750 mL bottle of Pissenlit 2003 served in a goblet. The ale is cold.

A: The saison has a hazy yellow-orange color with big head that does not lace well.

S: The smell is very funky, barnyard, almost unpleasant.

T: Taste has a slightly lactic, pucker edge. Flavor is very gamey and funky. There are no discernible flavors that grab you, as the beer has taken the natural fermentation too far.

M: Not good, the flavors are at once sour and harsh.

D: Below average, pass on this for Fantome Saison. Again Fantôme confounds me. The ale is cutting edge, but too far off said edge, making it difficult to enjoy.

akorsak, Aug 19, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Deep, dark orange body, with two fingers of off white soapy head. Head hangs around for a while and leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell: Burst of lemony citrus right from the popping of the cork. Some white pepper, a light funk, and a light astringency.

Taste: More citrus and lemon, plus some nice yeasty sweetness. White pepper and cloves come out next, along with some bread and a light hay. The only downside is a light rubber cement on the finish... I'm glad I consumed this now because I feel like this flavor would grow given time.
EDIT: As it warms, this is awful. Straight up rubber cement

Mouthfeel: Rather heavier than I was expecting for a "spring" saison. Juicy, yet dry. A slightest hint of alcohol comes through on the finish.

Overall: Enjoyable at first, but the rubber cement becomes overpowering.

cfrances33, Dec 17, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Thanks to SneezyAchew for handing me this one.

A: Oh shit. Slime bottle. Big time. This shit pours like snot mixed with honey. I filled up about half the ‘bowl’ of the tulip, and a finger of thin head appeared. Miraculously though, over the course of about 5 minutes the extremely dense and fine head slowly rose up and filled the rest of the glass all the way to the brim. This very impressive column of foam sat there for over the ten minutes it took me to muster the courage to take a sip of this beer. I think the head would have lasted until the next morning had I left this glass on the counter. Liquid score = 1, head score and retention = 5. Appearance score = 3.0? Sure why not.
S: I get notes of vinous white wine, oak barrel, dandelions, grass, earthy must, and strange notes of a good kind of funk mixed with a sharp pediococcus and lactic bad kind of funk. Am I going to get sick from drinking this? I get some notes of lemon and citrus as well.
T: Flavor follows the nose. It’s a little sharp but actually not that bad. Citrus rind, flowers, oak, and sharp wee beasties dominate. Very earthy and spring-like all around. The finish is very gritty and dry, and my mouth is coated in some kind of film after each swallow.
M: Very thick, chewy and creamy. This isn’t thick in a stout kind of way, this is thick in a cough syrup type of way. This is about the farthest thing from refreshing as you could get. The head is like drinking mousse.
O: What a disappointment. I drank as much as I could but there’s no way my stomach could handle a whole bottle of this. It wasn’t so much the taste as the appearance and the texture. This just didn’t satisfy my beer or saison craving.

scottfrie, Feb 03, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

atrocity, Oct 03, 2014

ipc2000, Jan 05, 2013

Exaltedeyes, Feb 17, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Consumed on 9/18/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks for opening this, Torry. The beer is a hazed tangerine orange with a miniscule white head. It appears nearly still.

For a liquid avatar of dandelions the smell is pretty good. It's floral with notes of peach. I notice pepper and clove. The taste is light and fruity, with apparent peach and apricot. It's slightly tart with a hint of spiciness. This tastes interesting for what it is.

The mouthfeel ruins this beer. It's almost dead flat with a horrendous viscosity and stickiness that is detrimental to the beer. I had to choke down my 8 ounce sample. Had I been alone I would have drain poured the bottle.

HopHead84, Sep 24, 2009

vissai, Jul 08, 2012

TheBeerAlmanac, Jul 30, 2014

MattSweatshirt, Jan 22, 2013

This was a really weird beer. The herbal bitternes from the dandelions was difficult to get past. Giving this beer some time to grow on you might be necessary. I will probably revisit this later and give it more of a chance.

godtopus, Sep 13, 2014

mendonza, Dec 19, 2013

drummermattie02, Apr 29, 2013

shleepy, Sep 07, 2014

pixieskid, Mar 07, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

Almost got rid of this. The pour is ridiculous. The head blossoms out of the bottom and looks like big chunks of foam, or yest. It looks like a solid object. I left about a 1/4 inch of space at the top of the glass and within 5 seconds, it was oozing over the sides of the glass. The head is shiny too, almost like its got vegetable oil in it. I had to wrap the glass in a towel to absorb the constant overflow. Even after drinking some of the head, it would continue to rise and overflow. I figure I lost nearly 1/4 of the beer to this. And the head is very thick - thicker than the beer. This was almost enough to stop me.

Aside from the 2/3 of the beer that is white head the rest is a cloudy orange. The head never really settles.

Funky, sour barnyard-y scent. Quite sour. Not sure if that's due to the dandelions or not.

The taste is quite a bit mellower, not nearly as sour. Still, there are noticeable citrus hints. Fresh, farm-y malt taste. Very dry.

Mouthfeel is so-so. The beer itself is lightly carbonated, and pleasantly zesty. But the head never goes away, and it is too thick and oily. Really ruins this.

I'd try more of Fantome's beers...but this one will not be revisited.

BDTyre, Oct 10, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Cloudy orange/amber with no head.

Fantastic "Fantome" nose of barnyard funk, sour, honey, dandilions and unripe peaches and a heavy nose of corn tortilla (yeast).

Mouthfeel is medium and a bit creamy but basically flat; super light carbonation. Low carbonation.

Flavors are sour, bitter apple and while assertive somehow thin and not particularly appealing. Not really drinkable but I confess that it grows on you a bit as you try it. A bad bottle? Will try again.

GRG1313, Dec 05, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

So it is not everyday I get to crack a new bottle from Fantome. I was actually quite excited to try this one. I had heard some really nice things. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 09/15/2009.

Ehh on the pour. No head at all, minor bubbles on the side that quickly left and only the slightest bit of lace apparent and even that faded off quite quickly. Dull golden color without much in the way of life in it. Again not terribly impressed here. Aroma was light, small hint of tart apple, lots of grain notes and hints of light floral touches bouncing around the outside of it. But far too light for me to be really engaged. Light flavor, grape peel, flowers, hints of light grassy notes and a lightness to it that really just seemed off to me. Flat feeling on the sips as well, really just not coming across that great to me at all. Light and easy to drink, but I just did not feel really compelled to follow through on it any more, just did not hold my interest.

Overall it was ok, but I would not really have the need to go back to it again. Probably the least complex thing I have had from them by far. Not sure what it was intended to come across as but I am hoping this was not it.

mikesgroove, Sep 17, 2009