Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme SaisonFantôme Saison

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 795 | Hads: 1,776
3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Fantome Saison pours into my oversized wine goblet with a hazy orange gold color and a just off white head. The head fizzles to a ring around the glass and leaves very little lace. The aroma is slightly sweet and fruity (ripe apples) with a hint of spice. The taste is rather sweet up front with a fruity touch. The finish is slightly tart, but certainly not inappropriate for the style. What is odd is the rather full body, cloying sweetness, and lower carbonation that the style would normally dictate. A bit of yeast spiciness is present and conveys perhaps a bit of a citric edge. Overall, I find Fantome Saison to be a tasty beer, but it rather misses the mark for the style. I would prefer a more refreshing and dry beer, with a strong yeast spiciness and lower sweetness. Either way, give this a try, it is a nice beer. (826 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to mjgardner for this one.

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with huge gobs of sediment. Good head formation, but not so great on sustain or lacing.

S: Slightly skunky with aromas of orange zest and floral hops.

T: Fruity yeast flavors up front followed by huge hop bitterness and flavor in the finish. I've never had a saison anywhere near this hoppy, but it's not quite a bad thing.

M: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation. Typical of the style.

D: Not outstanding, but still very nice. Quite different from other saisons that I've had and worth having again. (576 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a La Trappe goblet. Purchased in North Providence, RI.

A- Pours a cloudy honey-orange body with a generous gushing white fluffy head that sticks around for a while and leaves nice lacing. Some sediment.

S- Upon opening the bottle the first whiff I got was somewhat skunky, but that quickly disappeared once I poured it. Once poured I got ripe bananas, clove, belgian spice, some citrus, and a definite smokey aroma.

T- This is where this beer fell off a cliff. Upfront I get some fruity banana and grape notes, but this is quickly dominated by a sugary, honey-like, overly sweet taste. It's almost like it isn't mature enough and some sugar and unfermented malt is still present in the beer. There's a pretty nice smokey aftertaste, but I just can't get over the cloying sweetness of this beer

M- Overcarbonated. Nice light body though, and very little alcohol detected (I don't believe it's 8%)

Underimpressed with this beer, especially since it's ranked in the top 250. Maybe something was wrong with this batch? Either way not worth the money. (1,085 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13%

My first Fantome beer. From a 750 ml bottle purchased at Parker Pie. This is a well-made beer, but way too spicy for me. Glad I tried it, but would not get it again. (165 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Pours a hazy yellow with hints of amber. Big foamy white head that takes it's time settling down. Not overly carbonated; mouthfeel is decent but is a bit off.

I can see why folks dig this beer, but definitely not my kettle of fish. Big floral/yeast/lemon notes to the nose, the taste is much the same. There's a sweetness lurking in the background. It's not malt, almost like some sort of apricot or melon.

I wouldn't revisit. (430 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

This beer I poured into a tulip glass. Initially I was a bit disappointed that this beer lacked the crazy belgian foam that other saisons have. The foam level quickly disappeared, and this beer was very fizzy. Appearance still is very nice as its unfiltered...its a bright orange color, there are tiny wee floaters and little jets of carbonation visible.

Smell consists of faint earthy funk, hint of apple and citrus fruits. Taste is of tart fruits, then melds into yeasty belgian spicy funk flavor [which is expected], and it finishes kind of sweet. At first the beer tastes like apple cider, and its not really pleasant on my palate. However halfway through the bottle the alcohol kicks in and the tart appley taste is dimished and the yeasty spices and funk come out more.

Mouthfeel is good, its fairly light and its easy to drink, especially as the bottle is consumed.

This saison is not as good as Saison Deluxe by Southampton, and I am somewhat shocked saying this, because Southampton beers obviously are made by Americans and this is a traditional belgian style ale. I was slightly disappointed by this beer..but its probably just me, as this beer has an A rating with over 300 reviews. At 17 dollars a bottle I'm not sure if or when I will be buying this again. (1,275 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

I was pretty excited to try this brew out given my love for saisons and how highly this brew was ranked-stay tuned to see if I was disappointed or not...

A: Pours a deep cloudy gold, almost amber, with a frothy head

S: Nose is all over the place: sweet n sour apples dominate, some yeasty notes, and a backdrop of barnyard funk. One of the most complex brews I've smelled in a while.

T: Wow (not sure if that is a good wow, or a bad wow). There is a whole lot going on here, but, unfortunately, sourish cider dominates the palate. Like the nose, plenty of yeast notes and barnyard funk, but the sour cider thing is a bit overwhelming.

M: Clean carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not sure of the drinkability on this, seems a bit too unbalanced, almost like a gueze. Still pretty cool. (797 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours out hazy gold colored body, big white head, slowly fades with lots of lacing. Smells sour and funky, apples, and other fruits are up front, spicy and very nice.The taste is light, crisp, fruity with citrus. Good mouthfeel, finishes heavy wih a little alcohol noticible at the end. (286 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

750mL green glass corked and capped bottle. No date. I HATE NO DATE! Date your damn bottles, dammit! Cork says "Brasserie Fantome Soy 086/477044")

Appearance: A cloudy orange gold color with almost no white head. Suds-ed up when pouring so there's carbonation there.

Nose: Stinky leather and orange peel. Lots of honey notes. Very floral too.

Palate: Crisp with some acidity, but it's in check. Like someone squeezed a lemon in my beer. Carbonation level is low at best, almost none really. Flavors are good and centralized around citrus, honey and white flowers/carnations. Moderately long finish. That acidity is balanced by what I presume is some hop bitterness and some malt sugar.

Notes: The level of inconsistency is really turning me off. A tasty beer, but some carbonation would be nice. Mouthfeel suffers for sure. When this guy is on, he's really on. When he's not, you can tell. (893 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Quite hazy in the bottle, with substantial sediment in the final pour. Lively carbonation, sharp and prickly in the tongue. A bit earthy, with faint fruit notes. A bit of a letdown, as the depth of flavor was a bit shallow, leaving a moderately tart finish unbalanced. A good beer, but I find myself less enamored than the majority of reviewers. (345 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a golden yellow that is slightly cloudy. Lost of floaters throughout. Small white head that lingers.

Aroma is tart, sweet and some spices.

Taste is of hay, tart, green apple, lemon, spicey and yeast. Not overly tart, somewhat mellow.

Mouthfeel is medium body and somewhat lifeless.

Overall, very easy to drink. The "best buy" markers on the side of the bottle weren't marked, but I'm guessing this has been around a while. Wish I knew... Anyway, good beer to try. (475 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

a-Slightly cloudy. Two finger cloudlike head. Dark gold.

s-cotton candy. lemonaid. light barnyard.

t-Sweettart. Moderate bitterness. Slight pepper spicyness. Cherry Kool-aid type juice flavor.

m-Medium body. Slightly sweet. Low carbonation.

d-This is a beer like no other. Every bottle seems to be different. I've had some that had I reviewed them, they would have gotten a D- and others that would get A+s. This bottle had an interesting Kool-aid type quality to it. It is rumored that Danny adds fruit juice to his batches and I finally taste that it might be true. Sweet compared to most saisons, and less funky/tart than other Fantome bottles I've had.
Always an adventure. (684 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Golden in color almost pilsneresque. Perfect clarity.

Lemon, hemp, horse, and apple skin in the nose. Not as aromatic as I expected.

Sweet upfront with apple skin, vanilla, chalk, and lemon zest flavors. Kind of thin. Finish is minty with some funky notes. Bitterness is balanced nicely with the malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is a bit aqueous and carbonation is surprisingly low. This is a good Saison but nothing outstanding here. (431 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Bear with me, this is my first Saison.

The Aroma hit me like an herbal freight train. Extremely heady and sharp. Sharp tones of green olives and vinegar.

A golden brew with a good fog and a tight, clean, cotton head. The head stayed tight and you can see yeast floating in the glass.

On the tasting I was hit with an overpowering coriander and citrus zest. I can taste the superior craft in this beer, but wit the spice in it, you might as well add a lemon to a hefe weisen and call it even. The mouth feel is light and nice with a silk finish. If you like heady HW's, then go for it. (595 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 0.75 L bottle into snifter. Interestingly, this is a true corked bottle (no cage).
A: Nice cloudy orangish yellow with frothy, white, thick 2 inch head that slowly dissipates. Good retention. The head, when settling and backlit, looks like white glittery sifting sand...a very interesting quality.
S: At first, the smell is sweetly acidic...actually a little harsh...but this settles down. Candi sugar, honeydew, musk melon, and honey notes.
T: Similar to aroma...candi sugar, honey dew, pear, honey, and citrus. The sweeter candi sugar notes are a little overpowering.
M: Very light, sweet, bright, and mildly acidic and sour.
D: It is drinkable, but for me the overpowering sweet candi sugar note limited this factor. I was looking forward to this one, but honestly came away a little disappointed. (Once the higher ABV kicked in, it became much easier to quaff.) (877 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the BAer who brought this to the Nov. '12 Philly 'burbs bottle share.
I also have a bottle in the fridge with an alternate label. (Actually, I think the one we tasted had the alternate label compared to the one pictured here.)

Original rating: 2.78

To sum this beer up with one phrase: Oh, you Belgians and your green bottles. This probably is a good beer, I don't know, thanks to Mr. GreenGlass. Hazy golden-yellow pour with a decent foamy white head that receded leaving a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma of grass and hay, a good hit of smoke, stale funk, and fruit skins. Tobacco was the dominant flavor in this beer, from the bottle we had anyway, grassy funk, old perfume and light spice, wheaty malts, bland aftertaste. Light-medium body, fairly dry. I sensed a good beer in there somewhere, but I couldn't tell for sure from the condition that it was in. Hopefully my bottle will yield something more palatable.

*** Revisited this one with the bottle in my fridge. MUCH better. Obviously there will be inconsistencies with a beer like this, but the bottle I had was significantly better, and I easily polished off the entire bomber myself. Aroma was fresher, lacked any smokiness. Taste was also much much better, fresher, grassier, no smoke or tobacco, vegetal notes, with a crisp clean aftertaste. (1,321 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance: Hazy, deep straw. Solid, lasting head.

Smell: Lots of funk on this. Otherwise expected semi-sweet malt nose with a very restrained hop character.

Taste: Slightly sweet, some funkiness, tart, but well balanced. A little astringent. Odd for the style - perhaps a poorly traveled bottle.

Mouthfeel: Nice mouthfeel, velvety, almost over carbonated. I have a feeling this bottle was stored somewhere very warm for a while.

Overall: Good beer, enjoyable. More funk/tartness than I was expecting. Would drink again, but wouldn't go out of my way for it. (563 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Served from a 750 in a Duvel Tulip at cellar temperature.

A - Burnished gold and hazy with sediment in suspension from an aggressive pour. Nice white head with big, tightly packed bubbles. Frothy like steamed milk.

S - Smells similar to a typical european lager... some strawberry preserves hidden in the back. Some golden honey. Some vanilla. Fresh like dew covered grass on a summer morning. Appealing.

T - Aggressive in its sweetness off the bat. Doesn't posess the degree of smoothness or roundness that you'll find in other Saisons. Slightly tart and acidic in the finish. Good, but not great.

M - Slightly zealous, but creamy mouthfeel. Decently smooth finish.

D - Not a bad Saison, but for the money, there are better options. (748 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Pours a murky gold color with plenty of frothy foam

S - funky mix of sour apple and earthy wheat all in a slightly sourness

T - follows the aroma, fruit and wheat all mixed together with a hint of sourness

M/D - light bodied and well carbonated, easy to drink and very flavorful. The slightly sour taste just leaves you wanting more. (340 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured to give a hazy, straw-colored beer with thin white foam. The smell was very fruity: grapes and apples. The taste was of musty grapes, sweet but thin, with some maltiness in the finish. The mouthfeel was clean with modest carbonation, but the body was a bit thin. The drinkability was good. (296 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

I was a little disappointed by this one. Pours a shadowy golden color with a bright off-white head of small bubbles. Lots of carbonation, which is to be expected. The smell is mostly of belgian yeast, and perhaps some citrus fruit, but not nearly as pungent as I would have liked.

The taste was very impressive at first, but my palate was conditioned to it immediately and it became rather dull. It was very sour up front with the first two sips, then all of a sudden it died down. The yeastiness wasn't as apparent as in the smell, and the dominant flavor was green apple cider-like, with lots of carbonation and a little alcohol burn in the finish. Not very complex at all, at least not enough so to keep the palate interested.

The mouthfeel is okay: well carbonated but a little thin. The drinkability is fine, and it was easy to get through, but I do not see any reason to pay 18 dollars for another one. (911 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ML green Belgian bottle purchased corked, but not caged from Super Saver in Edison... Pours a hazy, misty, cloudy copper and tangerine hue with minimal frothy head that soon dissipated... smell was replete with nectarines, oranges, and citric acidity... taste strongly complemented the aroma, with spritzy, seltzer-like floral essences, some pear and grapefruit, and noticeable oranges... Crisp, clear, clean mouthfeel with a modest level of drinkability despite the 8% ABV, which struggles to make itself noticeable... Wasn't blown away by this particular offering from Fantome, which is rather unusual because most of their beers are top-notch... (652 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had at Lucky Baldwin's in Sierra Madre...
Poured into a Belgian snifter appeared hazy gold with a very nice fluffy head. The smell is huge on funkiness. Very musty like barn animals. The taste is dominated by the Belgian yeast earthiness and funkiness, which is still strong but isn't as prevalent as the smell. A good standard mouthfeel... smooth... but the flavor of this is just slightly overwhelming for me to want to drink it a whole lot. Interesting saison though. (470 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours out slighty cloudy yellow/gold..with a huge white head..drops slowly, with plenty of lacing...and lasts.
Smell is mild hay, funk and citrus.
Tastes quite sour...lemony- grapefruit, hay, earthy funk, hint of pear and cider....some spiciness that I can't identify. I did not like the first sip , but once uesd to the sour taste; and a little rise in temperature, found it pretty good. My girlfriend liked it right away. We differed on the Saison DuPont comparison...I like Dupont better; she likes this better. They are very different.
Mouthfeel was on the light side...medium/high carbonation and finished dry.
Drinkablity was OK...we split a 750ml...that was enough for me. (683 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml Bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, Wisonsin. I had been looking for this one for a while.

Poured a lighted, hazy golden color with a one inch white to off white head.

Smell was a little funky. A little papery. Biscuity/bready notes. I may have gotten a bottle that was old. But it wasn't completely oxidized or skunked.

Some fruity tastes and not very dry. Light bodied and a little lingering of funk.

Not bad but I think I need to try a fresher bottle. (479 characters)

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme