Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Ratings: 1,733 | Reviews: 792
1.06/5  rDev -75.2%

a - cloudy

s - rubber with a bit of bandaid

t - Burnt rubber and bandaids. Horrible. Could not finish the bottle and the flavor partially ruined my dinner

m - I was gagging

o - Buyer be warned that you have a good chance of getting a bad bottle. This is the worst beverage I have ever had. I understand this was a fluke but I have read enough reviews that have said the same.

1.21/5  rDev -71.7%

It had a lot of promise when poured - it was a beautiful golden color. However, it was an infected bottle - smelled and tasted like liquid band aids. I will gladly revise this review when/if I ever drink a new bottle. I won't be in a hurry, however, as it made me sick the next day.

1.31/5  rDev -69.3%

Whaaa!

Oh my gosh, I did not like the taste at all! Wow, this bottle I had must've been a really bad one... I guess I'm getting what people describe it as "band aid" smell and taste. Wow! I can't believe I spent $14 on this bottle and I have another unopened bottle waiting to be drain poured!

All in all, it looked great, but the rest was just bad. I am really disappointed. Saison Rue disappointed me and this saison disappointed me even more!

Hoping to pay this another visit later on.

1.33/5  rDev -68.9%

Like others before me, I was stricken with a bad bottle. Not sure why so many bad bottles are slipping through production. After the initial foaming head, and my excitement bubbling too, I poured and tasted... burnt rubber. I waited a few minutes to see if the taste would change and it did not. Shame as I read it was a great beer.

1.55/5  rDev -63.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

2012 bottle. Have had this on four occasions, and is completely different every time.

A: Poured a transparent pale red; almost pink. No head or lacing to speak of.

S: Very medicinal. Strong aromas of band-aids and plastic blend with unrefined floral scents. Hint of smoke.

T: Baby diapers, band-aids, plastic, robitussin and forest floor rot. Really intense.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: This bottle of Fantome Saison was undrinkable.

1.71/5  rDev -60%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Obviously I got a bad bottle. Have you ever put athletic shoes in the dryer? It starts like that. That flavor gently yields to rubber bands and then charred bandaids. Maybe a hint of sweaty gym socks. It's really hard to pin down the exact flavors, because I'm so anxious to get this monstrosity out of my mouth. Quite possibly the worst beverage I have ever had. Mind-numbingly disgusting. This is what I imagine prison wine must taste like. Check that. Prison wine can't possibly be this bad. I've had infected beers before but this is a new level of terrible. If I were faced with the choice between dieing of dehydration and drinking this, I would choose death without a second thought.

1.72/5  rDev -59.7%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

As others with bad bottles have already reviewed, I will only say that bandaid and rubber band are off smells that one cannot miss when it exists in this beer. I was really hoping that I got a consistent bottle. Hopefully, I will have better luck next time.

1.72/5  rDev -59.7%

So I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what but I really didn't find this beer to be anything special.

Looked about like what I expected. Little darker in color than some Saisons I have had. dark yellow but you could see through it.

S: kinda fruity but not in a way I perceived to be correct for the style. Something funky lurching on the nose. Maybe this suffered heat damage?

T: Tasted like a bland hefe. I expected more tartness to this.

M: Seemed very thin to me

I would not try this again. Especially at the price. I expected much more given all the hoopla around this beer.

1.94/5  rDev -54.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Cantillon stemmed glass

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange color with 2 fingers of a white head. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Heavy band-aid aroma with rubber band. Underneath that is some funky yeast and spices. Maybe a hint of breadiness.

Taste: Right upfront you're met with a tart/sourness and a bit of lemon even. Very quickly it changes to an intense burnt rubber flavor along with band-aid and smoke. Imagine that burnt rubber smell you get when someone is driving fast and slams on their breaks. Put that in beverage form and that's what this tastes like.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall: Gonna go ahead and assume this is a bad bottle. I can't imagine this is what the brewer intended this to taste like, but I can only review it based on what's in front of me. I'd like to get another chance to try this, but won't be going out of my way to find it.

1.95/5  rDev -54.3%

Poured from a corked bottle with the new label into an Allagash 40cl glass.

A- Nice golden straw color with a bit of haziness and a little less than a finger of head.

S- I smell the funkiness coming through. A barnyard with a few bright citrusy notes slightly coming through.

T- I sampled this with my wife without reading any reviews and she isn't much of a beer drinker and couldn't pinpoint the horrible flavor. After a few sips I could pinpoint the taste to liquid bandaids. It was like a lightbulb went off in my wife's head and she totally agreed with me for once. After checking other reviews I see that other people feel the same way. Its sad to say that I know what a bandaid tastes like because I have chewed my fair share and if I were to make a bandaid inspired beer this would be it.

M- Normal carbonation and a slight slimyness

O- Still not as bad as some beers that I have had. I was still able to finish the bottle. I guess I ate too many bandaids as a kid. If you want to relive your childhood then this is for you.

1.99/5  rDev -53.4%

Poured from a green corked bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A gentle pour produces a hazy apricot with a little frothy head. The head dies down quick and leaves a brew with a viscous appearance. Bubbles rise lazily from the laser-etched bottom for a little bit but then the brew is deadly calm.

As I open it and pour it a fruity alcohol hits my nose. I leave it for a while, warming up from fridge temp. Light fruits, lemon rind, a light oak and hint of funk. A nice undefinable spice character.

Taste is horrid, watered down lemon juice, bitter and pervading cork. No date or batch number on bottle. This is going down the drain.

Medium body with no carbonation.

At the price, I'll not be trying this again.

2.39/5  rDev -44%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I have to say that I am very disappointed in this beer. Perhaps I had a bad bottle, but I just didn't like this beer at all. I shared it with some friends, and they thought the beer was alright, though not their favorite.

Poured a nice amber yellow with a decent head and nice lacing.

Aroma is all over the place. A skunked, barnyard, fruity hoppy conglomeration. It smells better as it warms.

Skunky, bitter, some fruitiness and some bubblegum. But this overriding sensation is a bitterness that makes me not care at all to drink anymore than a few swallows.

Mouthfeel is alright, but again the bitter aftertaste lingers, but not in a good way.

Overall, I am hoping that I just got a bad bottle, because I was extremely disappointed. Were it not for my friends, I would have poured the rest of the 750ml down the drain.

2.52/5  rDev -41%

Appearance: Murky orange. Looks like a flat Weiss. No carbonation, and zero head after I forced poured it.

Smell: Mandarine orange,basementy.(Is that a word?)

Taste: I'm thinking I gotta bad beer here. It tastes like lemon juice and water. There is no way for me to find out the age of this bottle.

Mouthfeel: Light, watery and flat.

Drinkability: I would only try this again if I knew it was fresher. At $12.00 a bottle, this one was a waste.

2.56/5  rDev -40%

Gosh, I really, really wanted to enjoy this beer. Had been looking for Fantome for a long time and my local beer store finally got some. I'm willing to admit that it might have been my own taste buds that were off -- perhaps the bottle was old or I served it too cold -- but I did not enjoy it, and in fact poured it out. To me the beer was not carbonated enough (which is interesting, considering some of the other reviews). Taste was weak, insipid, dull - a pale impression of other saisons that I have had and enjoyed (indeed, Hennepin is one of my favorite beers). I may spring for another bottle one of these days, but I'm not impressed at all.

2.69/5  rDev -37%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Purchased at Monument Wines & Spirits in Concord.

A: Pours a cloudy orange color with gold tint when held to the light. Has a limp half-inch head that recedes quickly into a collar and light filming on top of the brew. Creates nice sheets of lacing when I'm drinking, but none of it clumps to the glass. Fine champagne-like effervescence at the edges.

S: Barnyard funk / rotting fruit explosion upon uncorking, but after a minute or so it fades into a backbone of wild brett funk and hay. Has a small hint of coriander and wheat, reminiscent of a white ale. The fruits bring up the rear in a mixture of lemon rind, orange peel, pineapple, and even mango.

T: Has the fruits I sensed in the aroma: a sweet and lightly tart mixture of lemon, orange, pineapple, and mango. Some brett sourness comes into play in the mid-taste, but it's very subdued. The finish is slightly dry, with a little tingling of coriander spice. However, the overall effect is of drinking a tropical fruit juice with a slightly tart bent to it. Doesn't have as much strength or flavor as I would expect.

M: Thin-to-medium bodied, with high carbonation. Well-masked ABV. Has a slightly watery feel. Leans toward the dry side on the finish.

D: Meh. Not a huge fan of saisons in general, but I've encountered several that had a stronger flavor than this, and it's not worth the ~$15 to me to try it again.

2.77/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured from a corked bottle purchased at Crown Carmel, IN. Although the label has a "best before" indicator it is not notched. I hate that. Importers and distributors often request the brewers leave them unnotched. They should stand up to them and refuse.

Anyway, beer poured into a tuliped chalice. Carbonation appears strikingly and dissapointingly light. Only gets a very thin head despite a vigorous pour. Cloudy yellow colored. Aroma displays a musty element along with lemony fruit, malt sweetness, and some grassy spiciness. Flavor is dominated by a distinct tartness. In fact, more than tart - outright sour. Even a little funky. The lemony fruitiness carries through in flavor, a light touch of peach in there along with some light spiciness, but that funky sour is way too strong for a saison.

I'm pretty certain this a bad bottle, but at $15.99 a pop I won't be purchasing another. Gotta go with what I've got for a rating - very dissapointing.

2.81/5  rDev -34.2%

I'd been waiting a long time to crack this one open, but my patience was far from rewarded. Read on...

Pours a hazy, pale wheat to brilliant dandelion yellow in color. Tiny particulates of white and gray dance about the glass, filling it up. The head is of the purest bleached white, the consistency of frothed egg whites, leaving some sticky stripes of lacing as it goes. So far, so good.

In the nose, sour grain is backed up by an enticing fruitiness, though it's a bit muted. Pears, sourdough and white grapes all make appearances, as do coriander, lemon rind and pepper.

...And here's where it all falls apart. The flavor is so subtle it's hardly noticeable. The slightest burst of the fruity goodness of orange spice and coriander is immediately followed by a pithy dryness. But this tastes almost like a pale wheat ale. If I'm judging by style, this is an abject failure of a beer.

The body is equally disappointing: medium-light body, with a feel just a shade above watery and some wickedly high carbonation. Yikes.

I try not to let a beer's hype affect my perceptions too much, but I was very excited to try this one, and extremely disappointed at the result. Everything I've heard and read about this beer leads me to believe I've received a bad bottle, so I look forward to a second attempt changing my mind.

2.86/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml corked with a crown cap green bottle into my NBB glass. It had a notching system on the right side of the front label but no notches - wtf? It was a hazy golden color with a bunch of yeast bits floating around. Excellent carbonation and lacing that slides down the sides after each drink. It had a large off-white fizzy head that quickly settled into a broken foam with a collar.

The aroma was excellent with great spicy overtones. It was very strong when poured but then faded as it warmed up and became very subtle. Was hoping it would stick around more. The taste was off for me. Not sure if a bad bottle since no date and in a green bottle or if it's just the flavor of this one. Fantomes do tend to have funky non-traditional flavors to em so who knows. It starts off good but then the extreme sourness hits you like a smack in the face. Has a strong vinegary, acidic taste which leaves a really nasty after-taste. Other reviews mention a fruitiness which I never got in my bottle which would have been great to offset the sour. The balance was way off. Without it, it's way too sour. I do love sour beers but they are meant to be sour and have the right setup. This one is sour but doesn't have the good base to begin with. For mouthfeel, the carb is great but again really bad after-taste.

Overall, either a bad bottle or a major disappointment. I hope bad bottle and will try again but for now have to go with this review as it could just be the normal flavor. If this is normal, then one and done for me. I love saisons but this one is not good at all.

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

750 bottle with cork and cap. Gave a hearty pop when the cork was pulled. Poured with high carbonation but almost no head. No lace. Fruit and spice notes in the taste were subdued in the aroma. Aroma was more of the sour lambic quality, with almost no lambic taste in the beer. Odd. Palette was active, due to high carbonation, and quite complex for such a light colored beer. Slight fruity after taste of strawberries and lemongrass.

2.91/5  rDev -31.9%

Fantome Saison poured cloudy and golden with a slight orange hue in my chalice. The aroma had notes of apples, pears, and cider along with a very distinct barnyard smell. (more to come) Fruity and earthy in flavor with hint of Vernor's ginger ale and a spree candy aftertaste. Body was light and highly carbonated with a dry, woody finish.

That smell. There's something in the nose. It's not overpowering, but it's omnipresent. A familier farm aroma. Hog manure...

That was it for me. I just couldn't get past the smell, but I still was intrigued. I will revisit this some day. Strictly because of the smell, this Fantome was a bit too funky for me.

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%

Undated 750 that is capped and corked.

Very loud pop when the cork was yanked. Loud hiss from the bottle, I'm letting it breathe a bit bit before decanting into a tulip.

Hazy, slightly blonde amber with a white head that boils up without going out of control only to fall to a ring in a minute or so. Still very loud.

Smells tangy and funky. Lemon zest thats been in a basement for a while. Overall very dry and tart, with that earthy dank aroma.

The taste is too tart for me. Almost like those big size Sweet Tarts, too much of a bitter jolt. I don't taste the abv, and there's a nice champagne like effect from the carbonation, but the lemon notes are over the top.

I'm going to drop another $10 and give this one more shot as I will admit this isn't a style that I get into, and this could have been a bad bottle.

2.99/5  rDev -30%

I've been dying to try this beer. Luckily I was able to score a couple of bottle recently.

The appearance is average for the style. A glowing, light gold color. TONS of sediment in the second half of the 750 ml bottle.

The aroma was good. Fruity and fairly funky. Bretty and tart aroma. Really good.

The flavor craps all over the aroma. The funk is gone. I get a ton of spices. Just a melange of random spices that seem out of place and unnecessary. Tons of fruitiness in the flavor. Fairly dry. Tripel like fruitiness. Out of balance. It tastes like something is missing. I'm missing out on the complexity of this one. IDK if it's because of the overwhelming amount of spice or because it's just not there.

The mouthfeel and carbonation were excellent. The best part of the beer by far. Overall, I didn't love it. It's kind of a mess. Not something I'd revisit, especially at the price point.

3.01/5  rDev -29.5%

Appearance: Pours fizzy and lively, but, strangely, with no head to speak of. Lacing is also not present. Body is a golden yellow color with a lot of floaties and opaqueness. Not a very good looking beer, unfortunately.

Smell: Smells like Cactus Cooler. Some barnyard. Medicinal back end. Not enjoying this aroma.

Taste: Ah. Better. Still some citrusy fruits that lended to the Cactus Cooler assessment. Banana, apple, apricot, pear, some guava. A lot of tropical-ish fruit esters, really. Fairly unique flavors. Not sure what to make of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Astringent. Too much so. Otherwise, fizzy.

Drinkability: This is drinkable, but damnit if I am not disappointed by this one. It *could* be my bottle, and I do have a local place I found that carries it also so maybe one day I will try again, but I got this from a reputable seller (Beverage Warehouse), and so that seems unlikely.

3.02/5  rDev -29.3%

Reviewed 8/21/2009 (Bottle BB ??/??, cork 086/477044):

Pours a very cloudy dark yellow, almost orange but not quite, color body. With a big creamy white head, lasting. Muted, musty aroma, fruity and sweet spicy. Maybe some plasticy. Soft taste, very muted, very light tasting. Some light fruitniness. Very light taste, drying. Almost watery. Thirst quenching, would be good on a hot day. Almost a plasticy taste. Just okay, not the greatest, not much flavor to speak of.

3.06/5  rDev -28.3%

Appearance- Poured a good head into my big tulip with good retention until half the beer was finished. Then retention went out the door and a bland, flat looking beer was all I could see. But their was still some lacing to behold. REDEMPTION!! Color was a light mahagony grain color.

Smell- A dry mix of toasted candies interlaced with amber waves of grain. Very earthy.

Taste- Pretty tart. Not what I expected compared to my tastes of Saison DuPont. But then again Fantome is supposed to be a very out there brewery. Anyway, A tart and dry mix of potting soil, grass, hard bread, and country air.

Mouthfeel- Pretty puckery. Not too say my mouth puckered whilst drinking this beer. But it was tarter than I expected. Almost cloying.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme