Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme SaisonFantôme Saison

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002)

Shankopotamus, May 12, 2013

coffygrinder, Nov 14, 2013

ShanePB, Feb 03, 2014

Honus1, May 12, 2013

JDM44, Sep 25, 2013

eulerthegrape, Feb 21, 2014
1.05/5  rDev -75.5%

a - cloudy

s - rubber with a bit of bandaid

t - Burnt rubber and bandaids. Horrible. Could not finish the bottle and the flavor partially ruined my dinner

m - I was gagging

o - Buyer be warned that you have a good chance of getting a bad bottle. This is the worst beverage I have ever had. I understand this was a fluke but I have read enough reviews that have said the same.

Herk182, Jul 29, 2013
1.18/5  rDev -72.4%

It had a lot of promise when poured - it was a beautiful golden color. However, it was an infected bottle - smelled and tasted like liquid band aids. I will gladly revise this review when/if I ever drink a new bottle. I won't be in a hurry, however, as it made me sick the next day.

douginromeo, Jul 29, 2013
1.28/5  rDev -70.1%

Whaaa!

Oh my gosh, I did not like the taste at all! Wow, this bottle I had must've been a really bad one... I guess I'm getting what people describe it as "band aid" smell and taste. Wow! I can't believe I spent $14 on this bottle and I have another unopened bottle waiting to be drain poured!

All in all, it looked great, but the rest was just bad. I am really disappointed. Saison Rue disappointed me and this saison disappointed me even more!

Hoping to pay this another visit later on.

Rainier, May 18, 2013
1.3/5  rDev -69.6%

Like others before me, I was stricken with a bad bottle. Not sure why so many bad bottles are slipping through production. After the initial foaming head, and my excitement bubbling too, I poured and tasted... burnt rubber. I waited a few minutes to see if the taste would change and it did not. Shame as I read it was a great beer.

Drewfer, Sep 06, 2013

Hophead717, Jun 27, 2013

MrsBeerGut, Jul 19, 2013

chippo33, Nov 02, 2012

Jtrigonis, Jul 31, 2013
1.53/5  rDev -64.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

2012 bottle. Have had this on four occasions, and is completely different every time.

A: Poured a transparent pale red; almost pink. No head or lacing to speak of.

S: Very medicinal. Strong aromas of band-aids and plastic blend with unrefined floral scents. Hint of smoke.

T: Baby diapers, band-aids, plastic, robitussin and forest floor rot. Really intense.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: This bottle of Fantome Saison was undrinkable.

Ale-ienation, May 07, 2013
1.64/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Obviously I got a bad bottle. Have you ever put athletic shoes in the dryer? It starts like that. That flavor gently yields to rubber bands and then charred bandaids. Maybe a hint of sweaty gym socks. It's really hard to pin down the exact flavors, because I'm so anxious to get this monstrosity out of my mouth. Quite possibly the worst beverage I have ever had. Mind-numbingly disgusting. This is what I imagine prison wine must taste like. Check that. Prison wine can't possibly be this bad. I've had infected beers before but this is a new level of terrible. If I were faced with the choice between dieing of dehydration and drinking this, I would choose death without a second thought.

bcm75, Sep 20, 2013
1.69/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

As others with bad bottles have already reviewed, I will only say that bandaid and rubber band are off smells that one cannot miss when it exists in this beer. I was really hoping that I got a consistent bottle. Hopefully, I will have better luck next time.

RobDB, Mar 02, 2014

joeseppy, Jun 25, 2013

His_Royal_Hoppiness, Dec 27, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -59.1%

So I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what but I really didn't find this beer to be anything special.

Looked about like what I expected. Little darker in color than some Saisons I have had. dark yellow but you could see through it.

S: kinda fruity but not in a way I perceived to be correct for the style. Something funky lurching on the nose. Maybe this suffered heat damage?

T: Tasted like a bland hefe. I expected more tartness to this.

M: Seemed very thin to me

I would not try this again. Especially at the price. I expected much more given all the hoopla around this beer.

danielplainview, Apr 29, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -56.8%

Poured from a green corked bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A gentle pour produces a hazy apricot with a little frothy head. The head dies down quick and leaves a brew with a viscous appearance. Bubbles rise lazily from the laser-etched bottom for a little bit but then the brew is deadly calm.

As I open it and pour it a fruity alcohol hits my nose. I leave it for a while, warming up from fridge temp. Light fruits, lemon rind, a light oak and hint of funk. A nice undefinable spice character.

Taste is horrid, watered down lemon juice, bitter and pervading cork. No date or batch number on bottle. This is going down the drain.

Medium body with no carbonation.

At the price, I'll not be trying this again.

goatgoat, Dec 08, 2009
1.89/5  rDev -55.8%

Poured from a corked bottle with the new label into an Allagash 40cl glass.

A- Nice golden straw color with a bit of haziness and a little less than a finger of head.

S- I smell the funkiness coming through. A barnyard with a few bright citrusy notes slightly coming through.

T- I sampled this with my wife without reading any reviews and she isn't much of a beer drinker and couldn't pinpoint the horrible flavor. After a few sips I could pinpoint the taste to liquid bandaids. It was like a lightbulb went off in my wife's head and she totally agreed with me for once. After checking other reviews I see that other people feel the same way. Its sad to say that I know what a bandaid tastes like because I have chewed my fair share and if I were to make a bandaid inspired beer this would be it.

M- Normal carbonation and a slight slimyness

O- Still not as bad as some beers that I have had. I was still able to finish the bottle. I guess I ate too many bandaids as a kid. If you want to relive your childhood then this is for you.

Muthacack, May 24, 2013
1.9/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Cantillon stemmed glass

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange color with 2 fingers of a white head. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Heavy band-aid aroma with rubber band. Underneath that is some funky yeast and spices. Maybe a hint of breadiness.

Taste: Right upfront you're met with a tart/sourness and a bit of lemon even. Very quickly it changes to an intense burnt rubber flavor along with band-aid and smoke. Imagine that burnt rubber smell you get when someone is driving fast and slams on their breaks. Put that in beverage form and that's what this tastes like.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall: Gonna go ahead and assume this is a bad bottle. I can't imagine this is what the brewer intended this to taste like, but I can only review it based on what's in front of me. I'd like to get another chance to try this, but won't be going out of my way to find it.

Jonada, Oct 06, 2013