Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme SaisonFantôme Saison

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002)
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Pours a two-inch white head on a golden-bodied beer. Head recedes to a thin cover with a little lacing left.

S- Citrusy, with a bit of spice.

T- Very well balanced between apples, peach, and orange flavors. Crisp. Hides the alcohol exceptionally well.

M- Well carbonated, fills the mouth with bubbles. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- Hard to imagine a more widely available saison with a better flavor profile. A real treat, would like to try other Fantomes.

Duff27, Sep 12, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Hazy golden color, clearly visible sediment from outside the bottle even. The head is very full and thick, long-lasting, and leaves a ton of lacing.

The nose is complex and strong: plenty of citric zest/lemongrass, spicing (ginger), barnyard aromas, with a little overlay of floral, grassy hops. Beautiful.

The flavor is so smooth and drinkable that at first I mistook this beer for somewhat slight and less complex than, say, Avec Les Bonx Voeux. I was very wrong; all the complexity is there, but it is still incredibly drinkable.

Lemon is prominent, in the form of lemongrass or some other herb. Thyme, grass, coriander, orange zest..all backed up by a moderately funky but very well restrained yeast.

The mouthfeel here goes from sweet to bitter to dry in the finish. Definitely the appropriate size I think for what the brewer was after. Enhances drinkability by not being too thick or too slight.

Damn good saison. So hard to call whether it's the finest on Earth, but it's certainly a hell of a brew. Since I was celebrating anyways, the 14.99USD price tag wasn't that annoying, but it's definitely not an everyday brew at this price point.

BretSikkink, Jan 27, 2009

Tasted On: 12-07-2011
Freshness: Best by 07-2013 (Lot d)
Packaging: 750 ml green bottle
Glassware: Fantôme tulip
Purchased: Single from Chuck's, Bowling Green, KY

The first few pours reveal a clear, bright golden colored beer. The last pour is much more hazy from the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle. The head is about 2 fingers high and off-white in color. Retention is low but the Belgian lace on the glass is good.

Aromas are strong and complex, with a fruity and dry wine-like quality. I smell musty and spicy Belgian yeast funk. The fruit notes are at first apple, then lemony, and finally orange as the beer warms and I get to the bottom of the bottle.

The taste is dry and vinous, with fruit flavors of apples and lemons. The citrus character makes this a tart and almost sour beer. I get some earthy, hop bitterness, and spices. Not much in the way of malt character or sweetness.

Crisp and highly carbonated, the body is light and aftertaste is dry and tart.

Overall, I found this to be a very complex and interesting beer. Not a beer I'd reach for frequently due to the tartness, but I'd like to try other offerings from Fantôme and compare them to this saison.

sommersb, Dec 08, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of an assortment of sour fruits

T - Follows the nose with an assortment of sour fruits with the addition of yeast and slight spice a very interesting beer

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - This was a very good and interesting beer lot of stuff going on in this one to make it very enjoyable wish I had more than the one bottle worth finding to try

armock, Apr 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Served in the 750 mL bottle, into a tulip. The color was golden, filled with a yeast sediment throughout, and a decent foamy head. The smell was gueuze-like tartness along with a fruitiness. The taste was very fruity in nature and also fairly tart and earthy...nicely toeing the line between brilliant and ruined. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, a few would be enjoyable before the tartness took over.

Such a unique beer! Every bottle has a character unto itself....I've heard people say it can be off at times, but when it's on, it's sheer brilliance! I've also had the draft, but the kegging kills the character quite a bit and turns it into almost a lambic more than a saison. I certainly would have this one again!

beergeek279, Apr 01, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Well, I normally don’t buy fifteen-dollar beers but the Noel I had several months ago convinced me Fantome is real as steel and now its bottle poppin’ time. This poured a nice golden color with a slight haze to it. The head is close to non-existent, just white wisps on the surface. The smell is glorious fruits like orange peel, spices, this is how I expected VE07 to smell and it let me down. The taste is like lemon zest, pepper, with a slight amount of tart funkiness peeking from the background, excellent.

ArrogantB, Oct 22, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

saison straw color with consistent but not aggressive white head. delicate lacy, yeast smell of barnyard funk. banana, straw, and clove. nice light body solid but not strong carbonation. nice density throughout. taste of doughiness, light chamomile and honey malt, then big strawberry, light sweet, and a litte hop finish with herbal accent. great beer... a bottle of early summer at its best. crisp, not too meaty. don't know about all the time though. christmas in july.

rtepiak, Aug 28, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

750 ml corked and capped bottle with best by date not marked, poured into three Saison Dupont glasses.

Murky amber hued with plenty of "stuff" floating in it even when poured gently. I poured this beer into three glasses and the amount of sediment was drastically different, with the last glass many times murkier than the first. A layer of sediment settled on the side of the bottle after pouring and at the bottom of the glasses as well.

The head on this beer was surprisingly disappointing: tiny soda bubbles formed and left really fast even though the glasses it was poured into favor good retention. Only thing left was a tiny ring of finer bubbles, and no lacing whatsoever.

As I was pouring, I could pick some hops. When I brought the glass closer, I got the dubbel like dessert notes of toasted dark fruit but once I sniffed, all I could think was massive funk. Horses - scores of 'em. And then some faint tartness lurking somewhere. It's amazing how many things are going on in this ale!

Tastes like it smells, only stronger. Moreover, the taste is strongly dependent upon the part of the bottle the pour is from. Strong notes of dark fruit, lighter fruit, lemony tartness and bitterness. Perhaps the most complex beer I have tasted, if not the most delicious. Tastes more like a blend than an individual beer. The best comes when it warms up and starts to taste like honey with a few drops of lemon. Nice!

Quite dry and slightly bitter with a long fruity finish; although I am sure that my bottle wasn't properly conditioned given the poor appearance. And even then, this is the best beer I have had in its style. I would buy much more of it if (a) It was cheaper than almost ~$15/bottle (b) Didn't come in green bottles and (c) Fantôme was known for putting out a consistent product.

tewaris, Apr 28, 2011

Poured from a 750ml capped and corked bottle into a glass

A: The cork comes out with a loud pop. Foam quickly started gushing out; I had to make a mad dash for the kitchen sink. Once that died down a bit, I was able to pour. Even the gentlest of pours yielded a HUGE head of billowy, white foam. I'm talking 4 inches of foam and no visible beer. After a series of alternating pours with letting the head die down, I was left with a hazy, amber-golden-straw color.

S: The aroma opens with the spicy scent of cloves, followed by some estery fruits. As it sits a little longer, a notable forest floor mustiness joins the profile. Crack black pepper. Light, pink bubblegum and a touch of bandaid round out the aroma. (The bandaid scent complement the rest of the aroma and is light enough that it does not come across as an off flavor.)

T: Much fruitier than the aroma would have you believe. Banana, bubblegum and a touch of clove on the attack. The clove builds in intensity, peaking in the mid-palate where it is joined by a light fig/raisin flavor. Ever so slightly tart, but with a good caramel malt body. Some earthy barnyard funk and wet hay contribute as well. The finish is light, estery alcohol and fruit.

M: Low carbonation and medium body with a light stickiness. On the drier side.

O: Excellent. I've been quasi-searching for this beer for the better part of two years now and I am glad to have stumbled upon it. Complex even for a saison, with a wide range of flavors, all of which interact nicely with each other. I do wish it was slightly more carbonated and wouldn't explode everywhere. Up there with Saison Dupont and Saison-Brett as one of my favorite saisons.

WankelEngine, Aug 24, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

I had this beer in a 750 ml bottle that comes with a cap and a cork. Sheesh..it took me a while to get it open. I worked up a good sweat but it was worth it.

Appearance:

This beers pours a cloudy lemon color into my tulip glass. The white head is nice and healthy with staying power.

Aroma: a funky smell..grassy and slight.. umm… barnyard

Taste: oh my..this is freakin delicious. A little tart but ending sweet and with a yeasty sensation.

A bit tingly.

Very enjoyable

maltedmilk, Jul 10, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

750 mL bottle from Bruisin' Ales, poured into a 22 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a nice though perhaps slightly dull golden body, almost progressing from a vibrant, sunset orange at the bottom of the snifter to a hazy, turbid yellow at the top. It's capped by a fast-fading, fizzy, one-finger snow white head and is replete with fast and fine-bubbled carbonation. Though the head fades quickly, the bubbly, foamy collar is persistent, and there's a significant amount of blotchy, foamy lacing on the sides of the glass. Later pours - i.e., glass refills - release tons of hazy, cloudy yeast and a few hanging particulates. A decent looking brew.

Aroma: Spicy notes dominate in the nose, backed up by a sweet, slightly funky, and earthy backbone. The fruits bring up the rear here, sightly less complex than in the mouth, but nonetheless well-rounded - lemon, canned pineapple, and peaches all peek through.

Taste: A delightfully flavorful brew. It's overall fairly dry, tart even, though with a faint, underlying simple sweetness, the combination of which really allows a lot of the flavors to come through. There're a bunch of fruit notes - tart lemon, pineapple, peach, banana, orange zest, faint kiwi - coupled with well-blended, earthy spices, clove, white pepper, coriander, perhaps. A healthy dose of earthy yeast and a definite kiss of funk about round the flavor profile out. Just a nice, complex, well-made brew.

Mouthfeel: A huge, fluffy, effervescence, light, and even brew. I'm calling it perfect, like a cloud floating over the tongue.

Drinkability: This beer is good. Very good in fact, and I would appropriately (and as BAers seem to agree) call it the best saison I've ever had. It's authentic, earthy, funky, not too tart or sweet, spicy, and fruity - i.e., it's very complex. It'a also incredibly nice "feeling," with a great body, as well as a solid aroma and appearance. The 8.0% is perhaps near the top of the stylistic range, but it's not detectable amidst the array of sensations this beer evokes. Recommended.

CrellMoset, Mar 04, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Seriously sealed with a crown cap, and a flush cork, this green bomber yielded a pale straw colored beer that was very cloudy with suspended yeast. The head was two finger thick and foamy. The aroma was hearty, yeasty, and rustic. The taste was drier than the middle of the Sahara Desert. This moderately spiced farmhouse ale was tart, floral, and noticeably bitter. A little taste of vanilla, followed by an oak dominated finish. Went very well with some spent grain bread (from a local brewpub) dipped in Fleur de Sel butter as well as some Beemster cheese. I felt that this Saison was a little less malty and funkier than the standard bearer of the style Saison DuPont (although it does have more ABV). Nonetheless, this was a hearty and refreshing drink, and I found it it be well deserving of the accolades it has gotten.

rajendra82, Apr 07, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

hazy golden hue, replete with floating yeasties, blessed with a nice, snowy-white head atop...Aroma, spicy, citric, lemon and orange, loads of zest, yeast. plenty of spices, coriander and clove, and who knows what else...nice and lively, and delicious...I'm ready to taste the damned thing!
And...hmmmm, Lordy, I love it...fresh, yeasty, citric, fruity, tasty, full of deliciousness...so tasty...light to medium in body, very fresh, and zesty, tastiness personified...what a jewel, just juicy and nice..yum, yum, double yum...wow, this is a magnificent saison, I'd like to keep this in the fridge at all times, at moment's notice, ...dee-ee-licious!

feloniousmonk, Oct 13, 2004
4.34/5  rDev +1.4%

When I bought this over a year ago at Provisions, I learned about a month later that it was part of a batch that had been severely infected - indeed, it seemed that 1 in 3 bottles were suffering quite badly (according to Dany, it was apparently due to a problem with his mash tank). I had the Saison D'Erezée - Printemps some time later (also part of said batch), and while it wasn't horrible, it was ridiculously smoky and grassy and didn't embody any of the world-class flavors that I've heard Dany's beers contain. I decided to take a risk and banished this to my cellar for over a year, and decided it was time to open it tonight. Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a teku glass.

Opens with a light pop, with no gushing problems. Whew. Still, poured quite beautifully - a deep amber orange with bronze streaks, clear as you could imagine, with a fizzy white head that rises quite gracefully yet eventually dissipates into a ring. No bubbles show. A secondary pour produces a head that's even more caustic, and eventually this leaves behind nothing but minuscule bubbles and no head to speak of. Not my favorite, but all right overall.

Holy shit! This thankfully isn't infected, and I've heard astonishing things about Fantôme's saison aroma profile - and this, my friends, defies all expectations I had. This smells so fruity and luscious, with an absolute perfection in bringing together stone fruit, tropical fruit, light spices, earth, and sweet malt aromas all together. Predominantly, this smells a lot like sweet canned peaches, but it gets better the more I dig in - white nectarines, cantaloupe, green melon, guava, lychee, pineapple, mango, and then some apple and pear no doubt from the yeast strain. So. Delicious. Smelling. With the added elements of vanilla, sugar cream, and toffee, as well as some light white pepper, this smells like the most vivid peach cream crusted pie or peach sorbet ever put into a glass. Unbelievable stuff - lives up to the hype and is easily the greatest aroma I've ever smelled on a saison.

Well, as for the taste... Not as mind blowing, but still definitely delicious. This is where the rustic qualities that Dany's brewing techniques are known for seep through. It has been over a year since I purchased this, so it's no surprise that some of these flavors have taken over the beer at this point. (However, how the hell are they not present in the aroma?) At first, the palate is blasted with a brief grainy smokiness, light lemon grass, as well as dry, yet not coarse, texture resembling toasted tobacco and light leather. Luckily, it finishes with immense stone and tropical fruit, ranging from cantaloupe (this is seriously a melon bomb at this point) to guava, to mango to extremely ripe peaches. Finishes with a wonderful lingering sweetness from the fruity phenols (pears at the end!) with the toasted tobacco note that accentuates the vanilla, toffee, and light honeysuckle - again, creating the pie sensation that really makes this the star of the show. I actually enjoy all of the notes this beer offers, but I seriously do not understand why I feel a gritty smoky flavor assault at the back of the throat after each sip in spite of the beer's apparent lack of bubbles or any infection issues, for that matter. Regardless, this is really memorable stuff - really sticks it to you on what a saison can be.

Wow, this really did deliver - it's as strange and inconsistent as you'd expect a Fantôme beer to be, but it still was very delicious. I will forever remember the aroma on this beer - it's very astonishing and transcends the style as a whole. I wish I could have bought more from this batch, but I was too afraid at the time of any inconsistencies. Regardless, I will definitely make a question to buy more from Dany the next chance I get if I feel confident enough to do so. Salut !

magictacosinus, Apr 05, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

750ml corked bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy golden wheat color with a small but bright white head. Nose is super funky and tart with a bit of that barnyard funk.

Taste is sharp and tart with a good light malt but the mouthfeel is huge and carbonation that's super creamy and sharp. It makes it really tasty and easy drinking.

kingcrowing, Oct 05, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

From a bottle I picked up at The Wine and Cheese Place. Bottle had about a 3 to 4 months of age on it. Served during opening day of grilling at my house, to celebrate the new grill! Paired with Lamb patties mmmm

Poured in to Tulip with a golden hue not clear but no clouds. Head formed with ease and did not over take the glass. The aroma was incredible as sweet but earthy aroma took over the air. The aroma had a bit of a bit to it which was very nice. The flavor was excellent as the earthy tones were present and well balanced with the sweetness behind the brew. I really enjoyed this brew and will pick it up whenever I see it.
The 8% was hardly noticable and I would be able to have this brew through out the night.

BZero007, Mar 14, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A:Dark golden cloud with some nice head that dissipates. Some sort of sediment on the bottom and floating around a bit. It looks a bit ominous and being a farmhouse, I'm upping this .5
S:Peppery lemon spice and some funk.
T:Phantasmagoria of spice, sour citrus and fresh flowers & fruits. I swear the mustiness tastes sort of like cheese at times when i drink Fantome. Very interesting and the flavors swirl round and round - sour, sweet, musty, complete. I think I figured out the secret ingredient: ectoplasm. Really though, no idea what's going on in here.
M:Medium high carbonation and medium light feel work well with the citrus and spice. Fits the farmhouse style
D: You could drink this all day. drinks like its 4% abv

Downed the bottle and glad i got another one.

billyshears, May 03, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle poured into a Unbiroue tulip.
Pours a light golden color with plenty of carbonated bubbles racing to the top of the glass.
Smell is very fruity and wine like.
Taste is very much the same with some sour/tartness coming through. It's very nice.
The mouthfeel is well carbonated and has the perfect amount of sourness to taste and not ruin the beer.
This was a very nice surprise. It's a very good beer that you'll find leaving your glass all too quick.
It's definitely I will revisit again.

FtownThrowDown, Mar 19, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a hazy golden slash oragne mixture with a nice full white head that lasts and laces well, looks great.

Aroma is wild crisp fruity citrus aromas peach, white grapes and lemons mixed with funky musty hay, compost pile aromas. Very wild and this is my first Saison so didn't know what to expect.

Taste is full nice carbonation bringing the fruit esters out mixed with what almost seems like bubble gum flavor and texture. Grassy funky flavors come out and mix with some light hops and light spiciness peppery coriander. Taste is unique from my point of view but very nice.

Mouthfeel is around medium but is chocked full of flavor nice feeling and tasting beer.

Drinkability is good wouldn't mind having this again if I could find it. A nice brew hope it represents this style because I will be looking for Saisons in the future. Thanks go to merlin48 for sharing this with me.

mntlover, May 26, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

From some long forgotten notes.

This one pours a pale gold with a slight haze. A great field of bubbles rises up sustaining a cm of frothy white head.

Smells of white flour, peaches in syrup and a pleasant distant funk that fades to black pepper along with some wild flowers.

Tastes of OJ with a tart, odd black pepper that fades to grapefruit funkiness. Again, wild flowers show up. Finishes with sour grapes.

Feels light and frothy but a little too tingly.

A fun beer.

DarkerTheBetter, Aug 15, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Corked and capped 750 pours into my large snifter with around a finger and a half of head on top of a light orange/amber body. The smell is huge, citrus funk smacks me in the face from afar while I pour. A bit of tartness present on the nose as well, but that awesome citrus funk dominates.

The taste starts out with a sharp tartness that disappears so quickly I don't even have time to pucker. Some lemon juice and orange peel creep in behind. This is really fantastic. Lots of different things going on, but none of them are brash or overpowering. Very refreshing and easy to drink.

Medium to medium-light bodied mouthfeel true to style. This is a fantastic, world class beer and I can see why it is at the top of the style class. Buy this!!!

alcstradamus, Sep 22, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Hazy golden color with one finger eggshell colored head.

S: Apple cider, vanilla, lemon and a bit of barnyard funk.

T: Lemon, pear, apple, some fermented apple, champagne yeast and a nice dose of funk. A really great saison. Not sure it's my favorite, but it's a keeper.

notchucknorris, Aug 15, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Murky straw, cotton white thick 1 inch head, slow to leave and tons of sudsy lacing.

S - All over the board. Juicy Fruit gum, sour apples, hay, sugary candy, a little Belgian funk.

T - Taste matches smell only more so. Sour and fresh straw taste in back of mouth.

M - Good carb, wonderful balance and coating.

D - I usually don't like sours all that much, but I like this one.

srandycarter, Aug 14, 2009

750mL bottle, poured into a snifter; split amongst friends

Pours a hazy golden orange with a fluffy white cap. Spider web lacing inside the glass. I poured a little of the yeast into my glass, so I have some big chunks floating around.

The aroma is of tart citrus, barnyard funk, wet hay, graininess, and an aged cheese quality. There is alsosome noticeable aromas from the hops: earthy, floral, and grassy.

The flavor profile follows the nose. Citrus zest with damp hay, flowers, barnyard earthiness, grass, and a powerful burst of some stinky aged cheese.

The feel is crisp, dry, and a touch sour. Medium body, creamy in all the right spots.

This is a great saison. One that everyone should drink as often as possible.

ColForbinBC, Feb 26, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a brilliant gold color. Looks beautiful in the glass with a white small dense head. The gold really stands out. Smell is grassy, orange? FIrst sip reveals a sour tasting beer. Hints of orange in the aftertaste. Kind of like an orange sweettart. Slightly acidic. Pretty drinkable stuff. A few sips in reveals a slight peppery taste. This aspect is pretty mild. Moslty sour citrusy taste. Taste rings on the tongue leaving a slightly malty aftertaste. This is good.

mjohn27603, May 26, 2005