1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme SaisonFantôme Saison

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,459 | Reviews: 778 | Show All Ratings:
aerozeppl

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Moved from the Biere Artisanale Sur Lie label.

Westmere Beverage in May of 2008 and cellared since then.

A: The first pours yielded a nice bright golden straw color with a finger of white head. Really nice lacing especially for a Fantome beer. By the end of the bottle the sediment to beer ratio made the sour head in me swell with glee. I mean there was a ton of yeast floating around. The end of the glass probably had a tablespoon full of yeast.

S: The smell was awesome. The barnyard funk was there but not really that powerful. It was a touch on the sour side. I am having a hard time putting to words everything that is going on in this beer. Some botanicals were in there as well. The apples came through very clearly. Insanely complex. Best saison I have ever had.

M: Very crisp mouthfeel. A joy in my mouth.

D: I wish I had another bottle of this. It has been getting really hard to get a hold of Fantome beers and that really is a shame. I love everything I have ever had from them but this is a standout. World class.

02-08-2010 01:37:16 | More by aerozeppl
Foxman

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

It pours a slightly hazy and finely but densely carbonated fluorescent lemon yellow. A thin sheet of tight white head swirls down promptly. Arcs of lacing flare along the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, the grain is briefly sweet and fruity with berry and peach before esters deliver crisp green apple, clove, and coriander. A touch of licorice counters a note of acidic sourness.

Upon sipping, sweet grain is sugary with, well, sugar, and peach and white grape as well. Clove, a touch of banana, and a hit of lemon speak to a belt of yeast. A muted doughy sourness, acidic and mildly tart, works to cleanse the palate before a slight edge of alcohol serves to warm. Crisp and juicy apple dances with a soft push of residual grain sweetness. The finish is quite dry along with a healthy dose of closing pucker. It's fresh, quenching, and excellent.

Medium bodied, it flows with a smooth mellow feel that entices, but it drops away just a bit too soon.

The parts are impressive, but the sum ends up even greater. It's pert and sassy, clean and satisfying, and it gets better as the glass gets lower. The ABV is moderate, but no matter, because it drinks as smooth and easy as any of the style of tried, and that speaks volumes because it's my favorite style. It's standard, world-class, and an example of top-notch brewmanship.

05-27-2008 18:31:17 | More by Foxman
ccrida

Oregon

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from draught into a LaChouffe tulilp, Fantome is hazy burnt gold/apricot color, with a 2 finger, eggshell colored head that is quick to subside to a hearty skim, leaving thick foam lace. The head is easily revived with a quick swirl, which I find myself constantly doing to savor the wonderful aroma. So tempted to give this a 5, because I really think it's the perfect beer, but objectivity reminds me I could use a rockier head with better retention - hopefully the bottled version will fulfill this for me!

This is my favorite smelling beer ever, wow! Funky and wild, sweet candi sugar, tart lemon zest, cereal grains and a little chalky.

The taste is very tart, a real mouth puckerer, which can be a turn off for some or a source of extreme desire for those like me. The Fantome is all about the yeast and bacteria, expressed at their finest. There is a soft sweetness that is like no other, minerals, lemon citrus, noble hop spice and the slightest hint of alcohol, leading to a clean dry finish. Trying to break this down too much doesn't do the final product justice. Quit analyzing and savor the experience!

The mouthfeel is creamy and on the lighter side, dancing on the tongue, which is puckered from the Brett.

Fantastic taste and complexity and eminently quaffable, as my favorite beer of all time, it doesn't get any more drinkable then this! I tried for a while to get a barrel of this for my wedding to no avail. Had I been successful, I probably would have drank it all myself, so it probably worked out for the best!

This has been my favorite beer for some time, although I've only had it on draught, and not in about 2 years. I try as many as Fantome's other offerings as I can, and while some are quite good, none of them touch the wildness of this one, which is a shame. How much of that is reflection of having only had this on draught, and the others only in bottles, I don't know...bottom line, the Fantome Saison is my vote for best beer in the world!

06-01-2007 16:26:02 | More by ccrida
battlekow

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Had this on-tap at Roman's Pub. This beer doesn't look like much, a cloudy golden color, not much more attractive than the Spotted Cow I'm used to drinking, which is to say, pretty mundane. The smell and the taste though--amazing! The best smelling/tasting beer I've ever had. Smells very much like tropical fruit and bubblegum, with a little bit of sourness in the mix as well. It's a very sweet smell, but somehow not cloying in any way; in fact, it's downright alluring. Tastes initially lemon peels, citrusy and sour, with a sweet bubblegum finish. Again, I can't explain it--you would naturally think that a bubblegum beer would be awful, sweet to the point of undrinkable, but this was not. It was perfectly balanced by the very pleasant sourness, and had a very nice, dry mouthfeel. Fucking amazing beer.

07-13-2005 20:28:31 | More by battlekow
orbitalr0x

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Sampled on tap at Gravity Head at Rich O's on 3-19-05 IN/KY BA Gathering. Arrives with a nice cloudy yellow color and hints of orange along with a fluffy, craggy white head that sticks in clumps to the side of the glass. Amazing tart lemon smell with hints of vinegar, clove and some earthy barnyard funkiness. I get a touch of green olives as well and a nice mellow white peppery spiciness. Damn!

First sip is a wonderfully tangy sweet/sour lemony vinegar flavor. Notes of spice throughout and plenty of earthy barnyard dirty hay flavors. So smooth and extremely enjoyable. There's a bit of granny smith apple in there as well...fruity, tart, sweet and bitter. It all works so damn well together. Great yeast flavors....just a freaking awesome saison. Lovely.

Mouthfeel is light and airy with a small bubbly carbonation. Goes down so well. Such a drinkable beer here...I could drink it all night. Highly recommended. I will be buying a bottle as soon as possible!

03-24-2005 02:51:53 | More by orbitalr0x
clvand0

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Had this on tap at Rich O's Public House. Pours a cloudy cloudy orange color with a tall white head that had great retention and left nice lacing - in a Fantome tulip glass. The aroma was big. Lots of orange, lemon, spice, pepper, with that strange funky smell that Fantome is known for. Very nice. The flavor was very complex. Lots of orange and lemon with some spices. The carbonation has a great presence in the flavor. Easy to drink and perfect on the body. Wonderful brew.

12-29-2004 18:56:26 | More by clvand0
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Fantome Saison off tap. How can I pass this one up. I've had it out of a bottle before, but this was a superb beer experience. The sweet nectar was poured off tap into a Fantome tulip glass. The beer was a beautiful oranged yellow color wtih a thick billowing head over top that didn't want to fall for anything. What a nose. Lemon, acid, slight pepper, grapefruity citrus. Damn. All I can say. Nirvana. The nose was great...the flavor was perfection. There is an underlying mandarin orange sweetness that is overlayed with huge lemony citrus acidity and peppery notes. There is a whole lot more going on in there, but I couldn't put pen to paper and give it justice. Suffice to say it was orgasmic. The feel was right below moderate, exactly where it should be. My only issue was that I was drinking it in the dead of winter, when I thoguht it should be a summer brew. The drinkability is second to none. I could have parked my glass under the tap all night and just drank this. If I ever find it, I will be forced to see if I can get a keg for home. I will actively seek this beer out whenever I can.

12-29-2004 03:05:21 | More by kmpitz2
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

On tap at Spuyten Duyvil: Very different. Incredible opportunity. Highly fruity, barnyardy with big mango and bubblegum flavors, blue cheese notes, lychee, lime. Decadent scary cloudy appearance, yellow at the top, brownish at the bottom, dirty, shadowy. Very creamy milk-shake mouthfeel.

09-20-2004 02:57:59 | More by Rastacouere
sublimesipping

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

This beer reminds me of an old world pastoral landscape. The phantoms of the past seem to spring from the glass with its earthy aroma and to the bone sourness. Color and faint aroma of cut hay helps the metaphor along, but the crisp mouthfeel and tart and dangerously refreshing sourness awake us into the present. The sourness is melded with sweetness, hints of lemon and berry, maybe rhubarb are permeated throughout the taste. Somehow complex yet accesssible. Defintiely the best of its class that I have tried thus far. Will probably be a summertime favorite as I think it would pair exceedingly well with grilled seafood. A yard worker's delight. Another plus for me is that my wife loves this beer as much as I, driving up the drinkablity to exceptional limits.

06-06-2004 15:12:37 | More by sublimesipping
mschofield

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a color reminiscent of cloudy grapefruit juice, topped with a marshmallowy white head.
The aroma is outstanding, very fruity . Sweet and tart, lively and sour, a bit of a medicinal note. Perfume like.
It tastes as it smells, sweet and lively, cotton candy, grapefruit, ripe strawberries, grape, pomegranate, curaco orange peel.
Light to medium bodied, the ABV doesn't hide in this one either.

04-16-2004 16:18:37 | More by mschofield
Jarod

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Served in a 4-6 oz. Aperitif glass w/ stem

This beer was served to me a hazy lemon yellow color that when held to the light had a golden glimmer to it. The head was creamy and rich and the color of cloud white. It had the consistency of a sticky rich whipped cream. It lasted fairly long, ½ glass, then, eventually fell to a ring around the edges. It produced a sticky lace that clinged the sides of the glass and stretched almost the whole way to the finish. The aroma was of a giant fruit market, fresh fruits everywhere. I nosed bananas, pears, apples, sharp grapefruit, fresh melons, strawberries, sweet honey, floral hops (lite as it warmed), spices (cloves, pepper), and yeast. The aroma was alittle on the tart side but not sour, balanced nicely. Let’s just say that my friend who is a macro drinker loved the aroma. The tastes that came from the glass were just as pleasing as the nose if not more. Flavors of strawberries first hit me, then bananas, then a whole cornucopia of fresh and tart fruits, then spices (pepper, cloves), herbs, floral hops, some earthy flavors, yeast, tad wisp of alcohol, and a hint of a malt. Ends fruity with a hint of hop. Medium bodied. This is one smooth and complex beer. I would never expect so many flavors out of one little glass. This is one incredible beer, words cannot give it justice. One of the best beers that I have ever had. All I can say is that my senses thank the brewer for this beer/gift.

07-24-2003 20:46:35 | More by Jarod
magictacosinus

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

When I bought this over a year ago at Provisions, I learned about a month later that it was part of a batch that had been severely infected - indeed, it seemed that 1 in 3 bottles were suffering quite badly (according to Dany, it was apparently due to a problem with his mash tank). I had the Saison D'Erezée - Printemps some time later (also part of said batch), and while it wasn't horrible, it was ridiculously smoky and grassy and didn't embody any of the world-class flavors that I've heard Dany's beers contain. I decided to take a risk and banished this to my cellar for over a year, and decided it was time to open it tonight. Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a teku glass.

Opens with a light pop, with no gushing problems. Whew. Still, poured quite beautifully - a deep amber orange with bronze streaks, clear as you could imagine, with a fizzy white head that rises quite gracefully yet eventually dissipates into a ring. No bubbles show. A secondary pour produces a head that's even more caustic, and eventually this leaves behind nothing but minuscule bubbles and no head to speak of. Not my favorite, but all right overall.

Holy shit! This thankfully isn't infected, and I've heard astonishing things about Fantôme's saison aroma profile - and this, my friends, defies all expectations I had. This smells so fruity and luscious, with an absolute perfection in bringing together stone fruit, tropical fruit, light spices, earth, and sweet malt aromas all together. Predominantly, this smells a lot like sweet canned peaches, but it gets better the more I dig in - white nectarines, cantaloupe, green melon, guava, lychee, pineapple, mango, and then some apple and pear no doubt from the yeast strain. So. Delicious. Smelling. With the added elements of vanilla, sugar cream, and toffee, as well as some light white pepper, this smells like the most vivid peach cream crusted pie or peach sorbet ever put into a glass. Unbelievable stuff - lives up to the hype and is easily the greatest aroma I've ever smelled on a saison.

Well, as for the taste... Not as mind blowing, but still definitely delicious. This is where the rustic qualities that Dany's brewing techniques are known for seep through. It has been over a year since I purchased this, so it's no surprise that some of these flavors have taken over the beer at this point. (However, how the hell are they not present in the aroma?) At first, the palate is blasted with a brief grainy smokiness, light lemon grass, as well as dry, yet not coarse, texture resembling toasted tobacco and light leather. Luckily, it finishes with immense stone and tropical fruit, ranging from cantaloupe (this is seriously a melon bomb at this point) to guava, to mango to extremely ripe peaches. Finishes with a wonderful lingering sweetness from the fruity phenols (pears at the end!) with the toasted tobacco note that accentuates the vanilla, toffee, and light honeysuckle - again, creating the pie sensation that really makes this the star of the show. I actually enjoy all of the notes this beer offers, but I seriously do not understand why I feel a gritty smoky flavor assault at the back of the throat after each sip in spite of the beer's apparent lack of bubbles or any infection issues, for that matter. Regardless, this is really memorable stuff - really sticks it to you on what a saison can be.

Wow, this really did deliver - it's as strange and inconsistent as you'd expect a Fantôme beer to be, but it still was very delicious. I will forever remember the aroma on this beer - it's very astonishing and transcends the style as a whole. I wish I could have bought more from this batch, but I was too afraid at the time of any inconsistencies. Regardless, I will definitely make a question to buy more from Dany the next chance I get if I feel confident enough to do so. Salut !

04-05-2014 03:35:29 | More by magictacosinus
mverity

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a champagne color that was crystal clear the first pour and grew hazier with each additional pour. Off white head that is light and bubbly and thick (2 inch first pour, 1 inch on second). Head faded down to half a centimeter and held there. Great lacing too. Aroma is apricot, sweet grass, dry yeasty funk. Taste is sweet grass, dry earth and aged floral hops. Surprisingly full bodied for a saison, medium-high carbonation.

04-03-2014 03:42:26 | More by mverity
Ricelikesbeer

Colorado

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I love Fantome beers and this one is a classic. It really showcases their intensely unique yeast strain. They really get a lot out of it.

A: Light gold, very little color to this one. Towards the end of the bottle the yeast begins to cloud the beer. White, wispy head with some lacing.

S: Huge burst of mango, mellon, and tropical fruits. Not what you would expect but man is it amazing. Their is some slight musty funk and some spicy estery or hop notes. A tinge of alcohol is their as well.

T: Wow is this complex and unique. Their is some traditional fruity/estery flavor from the Belgian yeast strain, but there is so much more going on. Lots of mango, pineapple, and even apple and pear here. Some spicy, slightly herbal notes are there too. The beer lingers on the tongue and as the beer warms, the alcohol makes itself a little more present.

M: Effervescent, spritzy, and light on the tongue. There is enough body to not feel thin, but the beer is very attenuated and dry.

O: One of the very best saisons out there, this one makes me want to drink everything Fantome. It is so complex and different, and each time you drink it there are more surprises. I would love to culture this yeast strain for my own brews at home.

03-10-2014 14:03:14 | More by Ricelikesbeer
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

the classic fantom saison, a bit of an oddity, a downright strange brew, loosely fitting what we in the states consider to be a saison, bur probably far more true to the original style than many of these that are more "conventional". hazy sunny blonde to orange color with some yeast sediment and over an inch and a half of lasting whipped cream textured head. it smells sweet and fruity, almost bier de garde style, with yeast being the main flavor agent, a sweeter malt base, and notes of apricots, oranges, apples, and spices. the flavor is as herbal as it is spicy, the yeast here is just awesome, its what makes fantom famous. the beer is pretty dense, higher gravity, it feels hearty and filling even though its body isn't much past medium and its carbonation if effervescent and tickles the tongue. notes of caramel and fresh baked cobbler on the finish, again a display of a one of a kind yeast strain. white pepper and lemongrass sit on the tongue after the swallow. farmy beer, funky and strange, but incredibly appealing to me. i know people have had issues with fan time and consistency and quality, but i had absolutely no issues with this beer.

03-04-2014 22:21:00 | More by StonedTrippin
Axnjxn

3.1/5  rDev -27.6%

750ml bottle into a teku glass.

not much to say here... i get a ton of charred band aid on the aroma and the taste is even worse. id say borders on undrinkable. just a huge smoky, charred, band aidy mess. not recommended and i hope i got a bad bottle...

03-02-2014 03:13:25 | More by Axnjxn
RobDB

1.69/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

As others with bad bottles have already reviewed, I will only say that bandaid and rubber band are off smells that one cannot miss when it exists in this beer. I was really hoping that I got a consistent bottle. Hopefully, I will have better luck next time.

03-02-2014 01:34:21 | More by RobDB
dfernandez77

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Light gold with a touch of warmth. Big fluffy white head.

Aroma: Earth and spices. Tart apples crushed right from the tree. King trumpet mushroom umami. Sweetly floral. Damp old timbers.

Flavor: Malts provide a clean and slightly sweet canvas for the circus of flavors. Tartness and herbs. Throughout an earthy funk. Touched by spices. Slightly tannic like green apple skins.

Mouthfeel: Light and astringent to start. Crisply effervescent. Finishes dry with a lingering herbal and slightly savory quality.

Overall Impression: Wow! Fantastic. Clean and crisp malt canvas splashed with spice, tartness, funk, sweetness, and blossoming herbs. The restrained tartness and extraordinary earthy complexity reminds me of a natural and wild Asturian Sidra from Spain. An extraordinary beer.

02-13-2014 03:57:24 | More by dfernandez77
smakawhat

Maryland

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. That crazy fantome striking again!!

Real nice brass and orange glowing apricot, slight haze but with a real nice middle column of roaring carbonation in the middle, and lots of pinhead side carbonation also. Head is fluffy cream white, makes about three fingers and settles into two. Great looking beer.

Nose is a lot of fun. Huge dry yeast and barley, some cherry cough drop and menthol, with some candy sweet sensations. Almost candy cane like aromas coming off of this. Mild brett and funk, with sweetness taking more of a forefront.

First taste is great. Good thick bodied malt backbone, but some also interesting palate sensations. Hints of cherry and cola syrup, with some hot brett yeast punch on first sip. Palate washes with a very thick and egg white texture, mixing some sweetness and dry yeast character. The body is nearly syrupy. Mild sour tinge on the finish with hints of cherry, but there's just a tad of phenolic novocaine sensations on this also unfortunately but luckily it's small.

Overall though still a real nice treat and unique creation.

01-20-2014 18:03:08 | More by smakawhat
MDDMD

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-hazy golden color with a nice white head and good lacing

S-lemon, grain, yeasty funk, apples, hint of pepper, straw

T-lemon, tart apples, toasted grain, yeasty funk, slight tartness and pepper in the finish

F-medium body with nice crisp carbonation, clean and dry

O- really enjoyable saison, was worried about reports of some off bottles, but this was quite nice

01-05-2014 00:28:30 | More by MDDMD
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.06/5  rDev -28.5%

The color is a lighter copper with a murkiness that can't hide the flood of bubbling the explodes like a column from the bottom of the glass. The bright white froth of a head has superb retention with all the life in this Saison.

The aroma is dull and malty with a barnyard straw or hay. There is a touch of Apple and pear but it's dry and in the backdrop.

The flavor is dry, smoky, malty, cardboardish with a tad of sweetness.

The feel is exceptionally dry and astringent with a bit of warmth in the chest.

I had my finger crossed when I opened this that my bottle would be good but it looks like I may have received a sub par example. Not nearly as bad as some but i'll have to try again.

12-28-2013 22:21:08 | More by KYGunner
gr0g

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, best before end "November 2016," ordered from belgiuminabox.com. Pours hazy, golden in color, capped with plenty of foam. Excellent head retention and lace formation. Aroma is shockingly good and very fruit-forward. First there's a bit of chalky yeast and musty, Brett-like funk, but then a strong presence of ripe fruit shows up. Peach, mango, pineapple... Tropical fruit notes I've only ever smelled in IPAs before.

Flavor profile is moderately dry but far from bone dry. Sweetness picks up midway through, then bitterness is more prevalent all the way to the finish. A little bit of yeasty phenols and leather, but the fruity esters star. Ripe red apple, golden raisin, peach, and apricot. Carbonation is abundant but almost pillowy soft.

If you get a good bottle, then Fantome is indeed as amazing as many reviews indicate. Exceedingly good, with no weak points.

12-22-2013 18:00:29 | More by gr0g
Flounder57

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 mp bottle was poured into a large mouth wine glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a two finger head that reduced to nothing. It is a hazy pale orange with some clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass.

Smell: Bready, yeasty, tart, spicy, pale malts, fruity, sour, and citrus.

Taste: Citrusy, spicy, yeasty, vanilla, apple, fruity, tart, sour, bready malts, some pale, and pear.

Mouthfeel: Tart, fruity, a bit sour, light to medium bodied, a little bitterness, little and medium carbonation.

Overall: One of the best saisons a person could ever have. Yummy, delicious, and enjoyable.

11-29-2013 00:39:49 | More by Flounder57
DrugsDelaney1

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Eyes: Dark straw color. Light bubbly head. Looks good, lets dive in.
Nose: Slight pleasant funk, citrus.
Ears: Faint whispering from the beer..."drink me"..."drink me".
Mouth: follows the nose...Tart, citrusy...I don't want to go overboard with the descriptors. A ridiculously complex and tasty Saison. I feel bad for the people who got bad bottles.

10-25-2013 18:47:20 | More by DrugsDelaney1
Jonada

1.9/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Cantillon stemmed glass

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange color with 2 fingers of a white head. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Heavy band-aid aroma with rubber band. Underneath that is some funky yeast and spices. Maybe a hint of breadiness.

Taste: Right upfront you're met with a tart/sourness and a bit of lemon even. Very quickly it changes to an intense burnt rubber flavor along with band-aid and smoke. Imagine that burnt rubber smell you get when someone is driving fast and slams on their breaks. Put that in beverage form and that's what this tastes like.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall: Gonna go ahead and assume this is a bad bottle. I can't imagine this is what the brewer intended this to taste like, but I can only review it based on what's in front of me. I'd like to get another chance to try this, but won't be going out of my way to find it.

10-05-2013 23:15:49 | More by Jonada