Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Ratings: 1,732 | Reviews: 792
2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

750 bottle with cork and cap. Gave a hearty pop when the cork was pulled. Poured with high carbonation but almost no head. No lace. Fruit and spice notes in the taste were subdued in the aroma. Aroma was more of the sour lambic quality, with almost no lambic taste in the beer. Odd. Palette was active, due to high carbonation, and quite complex for such a light colored beer. Slight fruity after taste of strawberries and lemongrass.

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

A: hazy golden yellow with an ever present thin white head
S: apples, citrus, strawberry, funk, so inviting and pleasant
T: as the nose depicts with a great peachy flavor. So tasty!
M: medium to lighter bodied with a drying to watering tongue left yearning for more. I could drink this all of the time. No hint of alcohol but it goes to your head.
O: Definitely the best saison I've ever had and I want more!

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%

I was pretty excited to try this brew out given my love for saisons and how highly this brew was ranked-stay tuned to see if I was disappointed or not...

A: Pours a deep cloudy gold, almost amber, with a frothy head

S: Nose is all over the place: sweet n sour apples dominate, some yeasty notes, and a backdrop of barnyard funk. One of the most complex brews I've smelled in a while.

T: Wow (not sure if that is a good wow, or a bad wow). There is a whole lot going on here, but, unfortunately, sourish cider dominates the palate. Like the nose, plenty of yeast notes and barnyard funk, but the sour cider thing is a bit overwhelming.

M: Clean carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not sure of the drinkability on this, seems a bit too unbalanced, almost like a gueze. Still pretty cool.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

First off I love Fantome. Enjoyed from a bottle (that had a cork and cap!) into a La Trappe goblet on the evening of 9/23/11. Shared with 4 other people.

A - Hazy yellow/gold almost orangish hue. Nice white head of a finger. Amazing retention and lacing.

S - Farmhouse. Complexly farmhouse. First thing that comes to mind. Its so well blended its sort of hard to pick out individual components. Yeasty, grassy, a little hint of some citrus maybe? Just crazy.

T - This beer is ludacrisly good. Some definate citrus and yeasty qualities but once again its so well put together it just taste like one huge individual component. Its fantastic.

M - It has weight without being too heavy. Carbonated. Just perfect for a saison.

O - Dany is the frickin man. No doubt about it. This is just such an exceptional saison.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Pouring from a cork and capped 750ml bottle comes a straw golden super clear beer. the aromatics of corn, thyme and rosemary seep from the glass backed by some higher alcohol esters. The flavor is good, but to me is more of a belgian triple than a saison, very little of the barnyard horsey wild character that I like to see in a saison. Mouthfeel is good, it is medium body but finishes super dry. Overall this is a really great beer and I would recommend it, but it is not a great example of the saison style to me.

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

Beautiful cloudy gold color capped with a massive white head that spews lacing. I use 'gold' to describe the color of lots of beers, but this is as close to the real thing as it gets. Wow, the nose is striking. I expected some funk, but it smells more like a gueuze than a saison initially. Musty basement, damp earth, and bright citrus up front. More traditional saison characteristics aren't far behind. Fresh lemon, some light tropical fruit, and floral spice come through.

The flavor, while very similar, is even more complex than the nose. It's driven by smooth, well-rounded funk (more Curtis Mayfield than George Clinton). The somewhat tart fruit component is unbelievably layered, and could be described by a grocery list of citrus and tropical fruits. There's also a distinctive "pink chewable Tylenol" note that I really enjoy. Some phenolic bubble gum and a host of other spicy Belgian yeast flavors sustain the wave of taste. Very little alcohol. A nice soft but decisive hop bitterness tightens up the tail end.

Fine carbonation tends toward the upper end of the scale, and the body is a bit lighter than medium -- actually on the higher side for the style. But hey, that's what residual sugars from an 8% beer will do, and I'm not complaining. Fantome just easily leapt into my top 10 beers ever, probably top 5. This is one of a few that I would buy by the case (if I could). Truly a spectacular example of what beer can be. Fantome is an immensely unique beer; top tier by any measure.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Review moved from biere artisinale sur lie

Poured this one into my Duvel tulip. My first glass produced a 5 finger rocky offwhite cap. Definitely had the classic saison head. The body of this beer is a light gold w/ some haze from the yeast. This beer had a glow to it, similer to the flesh of a ripe peach. As I consumed the beer, my glass looked like it was full of soap suds. Perfect.

My first whiff hit me with lots of sour citrus. Lemon, tangerine, mixed in w/ some sweet candy. Lemonheads come to mind, w/ a little bit of earthyness. There is only a slight trace of funk present as the beer warmed up. With a little more of the funk the nose would've have been perfect, perhaps a bottle with some more age would develope a little more funkyness which I would enjoy. Neverthless, the smell is outstanding.

This is the most sour saison I have ever had. Lots of citrus in the taste, a little tangerine and orange, but the lemon character was front and center in this brew. This beer finished w/ a little candy sweetness, again i'll reference lemonheads, w/ just a touch of spice at the end.

Lots of carbonation in this brew, seems to get softer and creamier towards the end of the bottle, had a light to medium body. This beer finishes really dry and leaves a sour bite all around my mouth. I couldn't imagine it getting much better.

For me this 8% saison is as good as it gets. It was sour, complex, refreshing and I have to regard it as one of the best beers I have ever had regardless of style.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

From a 750 mL.
A: Nice yellow gold color with a bit of cloudiness. Fluffy bright white head that piles up nicely and leaves lacing all over the glass.

S: Lemon, dried grass/ straw, touch of white pepper. Smells refreshing and a bit rustic.

T: Lemon, malt, and a touch of funk. Very tasty.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Smooth.

D: Very, very easy drinking. Love this. Great springtime brew.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

This recently came back in to my local beer spot, so I decided to try it for my birthday this year. I decided to leave the bottle at a friend's place, just to ensure I wouldn't open it for a week. Fast forward a week, and the day has come. All I can say is WOW! I expected this to be delicious, as I'm a huge fan of saisons, but holy crap! This is easily the best saison, and one of the best beers period, that I have ever tasted. It really is outstanding, and a must try for saison lovers. I wish it were a bit less than 10.99 a bottle, but I would easily purchase this over a comparably priced bottle of wine for a special dinner. As compared to saison Dupont, I would have to say Fantome is the clear winner in my book. This is not to take anything away from Dupont, of course, that is still a delicious beer. I will be seeking out more beers from Fantome, ASAP.

Tasting notes- definitely taste strawberry, may be some mango as well.

Highly, highly, highly recommended. The gold standard of saisons.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a great buy for 3.99 a pint. It is a light reddish orange color with a dark red center, with some spices and sediment at the bottom. Very flavorful, almost like apple cider but not that sweet or sour. I will probably buy this again and hopefully on sale.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Hazy straw beer with a white head that left behind some chicken scratch lacing. Smells of some hay and funky notes, not particularly sweet, but nice and dry. Taste is on par with the nose and very good. If is medium bodied with bubbles and a dry finish. I really like this beer a lot and will buy more bottles as I find them.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Pours a hazy straw color with a thick white head that lasts until mid glass.

S: Cut grass and green apple are the predominant aromas. A slight bit of dried fruit is present in the background.

T: Upfront, that typical saison farmhouse funk is quite apparent. Nice and tart. By mid sip it becomes slight fruity with an assertive green apple flavor. The finish is dry, puckering, and slightly bitter. This beer's complexity is very subtle. Taste this one carefully.

M: Light in body. The carbonation makes this ale quite prickly. Very refreshing in the heat of summer.

D: The light body and tart flavor hides the alcohol very well. Surprisingly, this beer complements bbq very nicely. Makes an excellent nightcap on a hot summer night.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

750ml Bottle in a tulip glass.

Aroma- funky and sweet, citrus, cat piss, brett/sour/acids. lactic. tangy. incredible aroma.

App- clear. super fine haze. white head dissipates.

Taste- pineapple, mango and other tropical fruit. dry. citrus. crisp. acidic and tangy. amazing funk. very complex and pleasing. light caramel, very sweet malt but dry finish. waxy/chapstick. artificial strawberry. strawberry jolly rancher. cherry pie sourness (brett?)

Mouthfeel- dry, puckering tart. med to low carb. malty sweet but dry. mellow alc in mouth.

Overall- incredible. complex. this is one of my favorite beers ever.

3.52/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours cloudy orange with little to no head. (The first sign that this bottle might have been a little too old) Aroma is citrusy, herbal, funky and a nice finish of yeast. Flavor is salty and sour. Not quite what I was expecting. I guess this Saison tends to be more on the sour end, but I was expecting something more citrusy with an intense yeast profile. I'm just not a fan of sour beers.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Wow, I have had some less-than-stellar experiences with Fantôme, but this is one heck of a tasty saison. Pours gold with a creamy, white, pillowy head that lasts quite some time.

The nose is fruity, with just the right bit of funk. The taste is tart, slightly fruity, neither of which are overbearing.

I love the mouthfeel, especially the finish. Just the right bit of tartness and bitterness in the finish.

I will easily polish off a 750ml by myself and wish I had another.

As I mentioned, I have had some bad experiences with Fantôme, but this is one they got right.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

The beer poured hazy peach with a medium white head. The head receded to a film. Lace formed on the glass as the beer was consumed.

The odor of the beer was an interesting mix of sweet and sour with a little mustiness in there as well.

The beer tasted very similar to the smell: mildly tart and musty, but with a sweetness that comes through in the end.

The mouthfeel was very soft with a moderate level of carbonation. Nice.

This beer is extremely drinkable. The alcohol is nowhere to be found and the taste is both refreshing and complex.

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

As far as I can recollect this is my first saison and if this beer is any indication of what others of the style are like, I'll soon be drinking a lot more.

It pours a snow white, two-finger head.

It has a murkey, yellow, creamy apple cider look to it with lots of sediment floating around at first.

Really exciting, estery nose. Peaches, grapefruit, white grapes, pears, maybe even a light touch of nutmeg.

The taste is fruity, light and somewhat tart. Like an early harvest riesling or a Belgium white with lots of citric fruit. I'm also detecting some hints of apples.

The mouthful is somewhat creamy but pretty thin. Like a mouthful of freshly squeezed grapefuit juice.

The aftertaste is refreshing. Peaches, grapefruit, bubblegum. Great for cleansing the palette(sp?) in between courses.

Be careful. This stuff tastes like a beer with half the alcohol. It's hard to believe that this light, fruity brew is 8 percent alcohol.

3.8/5  rDev -11%

Poured in my secret fav tasting glass! Best before July 2013, but it's double labeled...hmmm!

A- Beautifl dark golden, orange hazy body with an inch of pillowing head that has great head retention and great lacing.

S- Definitely a younger Fantome from my experience. Alot more fruity than I expected or wanted. It does have the signature Fantome nose of funk and barnyard, but just more fruitiness.

T- Lots of dried fruit, stoned fruit, especially apricots and golden raisons, little funk. I actually after having dozens of Fatomes for over 6 or 7 years now, expected more funk and barnyard. The last several I have had have been to fruity. :-?

M- Good clean mouthfeel.

Overall- Maybe I need to let this beer rest longer. This was once my favorite Saison and/or Farmhouse. Now it's coming in still in top 10.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Definitely one to try... and enjoy.

A: Like a cloudy freshly pulverized orange juice. Has the color of thick, concentrate mango juice. fizzy head has reduced to a consistant 1/4". Give it a swirl and the head practically sticks to the beer, it even made a swirl design.

S: Apricot, fig, apple, orange, lemon, raisin, funky cheese... yes please!

T: Like a mild liquid provolone and sharp cheddar blend, with those grapefruit pull on the side of the tongue, and the citrus stays up front on the tip of tongue. The sourness expands and punches harder as it warms up.

M: This is where the beer really takes it... there is a lot of funk in the nose, and it is amazingly clean. Superb quality. Good carbonation that dissipates over time.

D: Very approachable yet a fun exploration. Very smooth, I could drink tons of this stuff, but I will have to be patient, because I want it around for a while.

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Light gold with a touch of warmth. Big fluffy white head.

Aroma: Earth and spices. Tart apples crushed right from the tree. King trumpet mushroom umami. Sweetly floral. Damp old timbers.

Flavor: Malts provide a clean and slightly sweet canvas for the circus of flavors. Tartness and herbs. Throughout an earthy funk. Touched by spices. Slightly tannic like green apple skins.

Mouthfeel: Light and astringent to start. Crisply effervescent. Finishes dry with a lingering herbal and slightly savory quality.

Overall Impression: Wow! Fantastic. Clean and crisp malt canvas splashed with spice, tartness, funk, sweetness, and blossoming herbs. The restrained tartness and extraordinary earthy complexity reminds me of a natural and wild Asturian Sidra from Spain. An extraordinary beer.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Served from 750ml at Map Room in Chicago

A: hazy, light straw color

S: Hard mineral water was the first thing that hit me, followed by sour strawberry and almost a washed cheese rind characteristic. wonderfully layered and complex. One of the best noses I've ever had on a beer.

T: Great light flavors of tart strawberries. The tartness comes on slowly washing over your mouth instead of assaulting it. Remarkable.

M: Superbly balanced. Light and well carbonated.

D: Refreshing and thirst quenching. I could drink this for quite a while and be very happy.

Overall, this is one of the best beers I've ever tasted, and bar none the best saison. Do yourself a favor and pick this up if you see it.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Beautiful golden pale malt colors, with a very slight cloudiness and hint of orange. Well carbonated, leaves a nice film down the side of the glass as the head dissipates.

S: Quite enjoyable funky smell, old bananas, honey, grass and hay.

T: After the first couple of sips I said to myself, oohhhh this isn't your typical Saison. After half the bottle I couldn't imagine how any other Saison would ever compare to this. Great earthy flavors, tastes a little bit like a grassy cider with an amazing pale malt and citrus character coming through. An absolute must for Saison lovers.

M: Nice unfiltered creamy texture.

D: I already subscribe to the believe that Saisons are among the most drinkable and refreshing of all Belgian ales, however I was blown away at how easy it was to put this down considering its high 8% ABV.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Had this at iTap in Soulard, a customer was kind enough to give me a sample...

Pours that cloudy, murky, golden haze that you would expect. Nice white head, fits in perfectly with the style. Smells of barnyard funk, wet hay, lemons, and some big tartness on the nose! Beautiful! I know that Im going to love this! Nice tartness on a refreshing effervescent sip that lingers with a spicy finish. No alcohol present, this could be dangerous as I could drink this all day, especially with the 96 degree weather we are currently having... Very nice brew, very glad I tried it!

3.5/5  rDev -18%

A - Straw yellow colour. Hazy with a quite fine and quite persistent white foam. Good carbonation.

S - A very high smell of yeast.. Almost unpleasant!! Citric (lemon, orange peel) and a little spicy.

T - Citric also in mouth, not much bitter with and acid aftertaste.

M - Very acid and astringent beer!! It's dry and the alcohol is hidden by the acidity..

D - It can be a drinkable beer but its characteristics of acidity and astringence make this beer more difficult to enjoy!!

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

The missing link between artisan commercial belgian beers and homebrews...

First (and foremost) it has to be said that I think that it's a travesty that we cannot get more Saisson beers in the US. It's a great style for an early summer day and a really interesting style as well.

First pour shows a lightly orange-tinted gold with a huge amount of suspended floaters and a massive layer of yeasty sediment on the bottom of the bottle. The head is white and creamy (though perhaps less substantial than is ideal for the style) that subsides to a reasonably sticky lace. The aroma is incredible - sweet fruits and sugary candy notes riding on a wave of malt and yeast with a sort of "barnyard" whiff drifting throughout.
Initial taste is sweet and tart - a sort of bitter fruit syrup flavor, closing out to a crisp, sour main body that puckers the mouth and brings to mind citrus and hops. The finish is soft, with dying carbonation and a lingering tartness with some alcohol warmth.

This is best described as an "interesting" brew and an "interesting" version of the style. Sadly, there are better examples of the style but they seem impossible to find here. Given the options, I guess it's worth getting (though, IMHO, it's quite over-priced).

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme