Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 750 mL. bottled (Best By May 2012) into a tulip glass.

A strong pour yields a 1 1/2-finger tan-colored head of large, energetic bubbles that quickly fade to a thin foam ring. The body is a cloudy, yellowish cider with a good amount of carbonation bubbles rushing upward along the edges. No lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

A peppery spiciness starts the aromas with a kick. Apple cider and white wine aromas mix with a tart funk.

Mixed light fruit flavors including green grapes and pear as well as a little funk start each sip. A dry sourness soon takes over and fades slowly to a fruity sweetness that accompanies the sour into the aftertaste.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer is refreshing as well as easy drinking. The carbonation really helps to move the flavors through their stages while allowing them to last for appropriate amounts of time.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Hazy straw beer with a white head that left behind some chicken scratch lacing. Smells of some hay and funky notes, not particularly sweet, but nice and dry. Taste is on par with the nose and very good. If is medium bodied with bubbles and a dry finish. I really like this beer a lot and will buy more bottles as I find them.

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

cork comes out of bottle with a pop.
served in large tulip glass.
pours a golden hazy yellow. ample amount of carbonation and 2 finger white fluffy head. head does not fully recede. ring of bubbles stay around the edge of the glass.

smells of dried citrus fruits dominating (orange and lemon). and some strawberries! light tart funk on the nose. very nice smelling beer.

taste: peppery and a bit dry. some hay and barnyard. slight bit of tart fruits, but not as much as on the nose. more lemon than other fruits. a bit of funk, as well. the yeast is not as dominant as other saisons, which for me is good.

very enjoyable saison. the best from fantome that i have had so far.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A - pours a hazy golden yellow color with about a finger and a half head. Head leaves quickly and the small bit of carbonation keeps a thin ring around the glass.

S - Belgian yeast, cobweb/must, funk, coriander and peach. Intense!!

T - mildly tart but refreshing citrusy flavors overwhelm the palate at first sip. Leaving it sit to pick out flavors I notice granny smith apples, ripened apricot, and peach with a splash of vinegary brett and bubblegum. Odd spices and herby notes linger toward the finish. Alcohol is masterfully hidden and not noticed at all. Delicious!

M - light bodied, borderline medium with plenty of malt to provide extreme complexity. Very well balanced but on the lighter side carbonation wise. Finishes dry and very nice.

O - this is an excellently crafted beer and a very good pick by me on a hot, humid night. I definitely recommend this to any fans of Belgian beers and would love to treat myself to another bottle soon. I'd like to get a bottle with some more carbonation next time, though.

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fantome Saison is straw colored and murky with a rather vigorous head after I give it such a gentle pour to avoid the half-inch of yeast on the bottom of the 750ml bottle. I recently had a bottle of this beer with which I took no such care and the initial beauty of this libation was irrevocably changed from perfect to pulped orange juice with extra added calcium - to call it chalky and ultra viscous would be an understatement. Thankfully I avoided such a fate this time.

Notes of pepper, coriander, lavender, super-sweet quality corn and a slight bubblegum nose waft out of my snifter.

The taste carries the nose through to fruition with accents of hay, peach and under-ripe strawberry joining the party. This particular example of this ever-changing and fluid brew was on the mellower side in the funk department. Other bottles I've had over the years have been much less delicate;)

With a careful pour, mouthfeel is spot on for a rustic saison - not ultra smooth but enjoyably hearty with no rough edges and certainly not the nightmare I experienced with the bottle I described before.

Overall this and Saison Dupont are at the top of the saison category for good reason. Dupont is more consistent, but when Fantome is on, there are few better beers in the world.

Dany Prignon is a genius!

2.99/5  rDev -30.1%

I've been dying to try this beer. Luckily I was able to score a couple of bottle recently.

The appearance is average for the style. A glowing, light gold color. TONS of sediment in the second half of the 750 ml bottle.

The aroma was good. Fruity and fairly funky. Bretty and tart aroma. Really good.

The flavor craps all over the aroma. The funk is gone. I get a ton of spices. Just a melange of random spices that seem out of place and unnecessary. Tons of fruitiness in the flavor. Fairly dry. Tripel like fruitiness. Out of balance. It tastes like something is missing. I'm missing out on the complexity of this one. IDK if it's because of the overwhelming amount of spice or because it's just not there.

The mouthfeel and carbonation were excellent. The best part of the beer by far. Overall, I didn't love it. It's kind of a mess. Not something I'd revisit, especially at the price point.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

375mL corked and capped bottle with batch/month/year strip on the side of label but no punches to indicate the date, poured into snifter at Brouwer's on 5/15/11

A: Pours a clear golden orange with some suspended particles and thin white head. Second pour is significantly cloudier than the first with lots of suspended particles.

S: Very unique aroma, lots of funky and fruity notes. Sweet malts with some yeast aromas, grapes and apple aromas in there as well.

T: Very light with pale malts, grapes, cherries and some funk. Some peppery notes as well. Nice blend of flavors, pretty unique tasting saison.

M: Light and refreshing, lower carbonation, vinishes very dry.

O: Very light and refreshing yet packed with diverse fruity and funky flavors. Great and unique saison.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured in my secret fav tasting glass! Best before July 2013, but it's double labeled...hmmm!

A- Beautifl dark golden, orange hazy body with an inch of pillowing head that has great head retention and great lacing.

S- Definitely a younger Fantome from my experience. Alot more fruity than I expected or wanted. It does have the signature Fantome nose of funk and barnyard, but just more fruitiness.

T- Lots of dried fruit, stoned fruit, especially apricots and golden raisons, little funk. I actually after having dozens of Fatomes for over 6 or 7 years now, expected more funk and barnyard. The last several I have had have been to fruity. :-?

M- Good clean mouthfeel.

Overall- Maybe I need to let this beer rest longer. This was once my favorite Saison and/or Farmhouse. Now it's coming in still in top 10.

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured from bomber into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy deep orange color with a big vanishing white head. Aroma consists of light sourness and balance between malt, yeast and hops. Notes of flowers, grass, citrus, with hints of pepper too. The flavor has the same balance and acidity of the aroma and a very pronounced fruitiness (citiric and tropical fruits), and grass, flowers, hops and some peppery spiciness. Medium body, decent carbonation, very dry long finish with medium bitterness. Nice complexity and decent drinkability. I kind of expected more out of this well embraced beer. A little bit disappointing.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Happy Mayday everyone! It's a beautiful warm and sunny spring Sunday afternoon here, making a saison sound like the perfect beer right now.

Fills the glass with a cloudy but bright orange body. A dense and frothy pure white head fills the upper portions of the glass and slowly fades to leave some sticky lace behind. Tough to find any faults with such a beautiful pour.

Aroma greets you with a strong presence of tropical fruits with notes of mango, pineapple, and orange making a great first impression. Lemon tartness alongside some flowery and grassy aromas add to the complexity of this aroma. Finally, though it takes a while to show up, a pleasant yeasty baryard funk lets you know this really is a Saison.

Like the aroma, Tropical fruit notes provide a sweet and slightly tart flavor initially. Slowly but surely as the carbonation dissipates, these step aside to make way for some underlying herbal and flowery notes mixed in with some peppery spice. As with many good saisons, the farmhouse aspects of this beer also make themselves known with some yeasty and earthy funk characteristics.

Mouthfeel is light with a decent amount of carbonation but does not finish as quite dry as I would have expected. Overall, this beer has instantly become one of my favorite Saisons and I know understand why it is ranked as the #1 saison on this site. I see myself drinking this one as much as possible this summer.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Murky orange body with some white head that disappeared right away.

S- Fresh banana's that are spiced and diced with some crackers. Tons of yeast character that lends a nice bit of spiciness.

T- Sweet banana and a bit of a sweet acidic green apple quality, a bit of herbal and grassy hops provide a nice balance, a malty cracker taste emerges more as the brew warms up.

M- Very much alive with moderate carbonation.

O- Unparalleled complexity and taste in the Saison market.

1.72/5  rDev -59.8%

So I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what but I really didn't find this beer to be anything special.

Looked about like what I expected. Little darker in color than some Saisons I have had. dark yellow but you could see through it.

S: kinda fruity but not in a way I perceived to be correct for the style. Something funky lurching on the nose. Maybe this suffered heat damage?

T: Tasted like a bland hefe. I expected more tartness to this.

M: Seemed very thin to me

I would not try this again. Especially at the price. I expected much more given all the hoopla around this beer.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%

750 ml corked and capped bottle with best by date not marked, poured into three Saison Dupont glasses.

Murky amber hued with plenty of "stuff" floating in it even when poured gently. I poured this beer into three glasses and the amount of sediment was drastically different, with the last glass many times murkier than the first. A layer of sediment settled on the side of the bottle after pouring and at the bottom of the glasses as well.

The head on this beer was surprisingly disappointing: tiny soda bubbles formed and left really fast even though the glasses it was poured into favor good retention. Only thing left was a tiny ring of finer bubbles, and no lacing whatsoever.

As I was pouring, I could pick some hops. When I brought the glass closer, I got the dubbel like dessert notes of toasted dark fruit but once I sniffed, all I could think was massive funk. Horses - scores of 'em. And then some faint tartness lurking somewhere. It's amazing how many things are going on in this ale!

Tastes like it smells, only stronger. Moreover, the taste is strongly dependent upon the part of the bottle the pour is from. Strong notes of dark fruit, lighter fruit, lemony tartness and bitterness. Perhaps the most complex beer I have tasted, if not the most delicious. Tastes more like a blend than an individual beer. The best comes when it warms up and starts to taste like honey with a few drops of lemon. Nice!

Quite dry and slightly bitter with a long fruity finish; although I am sure that my bottle wasn't properly conditioned given the poor appearance. And even then, this is the best beer I have had in its style. I would buy much more of it if (a) It was cheaper than almost ~$15/bottle (b) Didn't come in green bottles and (c) Fantôme was known for putting out a consistent product.

Lot d, best by July 2013

A: Pours a cloudy straw yellow with a quickly receding, fizzling head

S: Very distinct barnyard-like yeast (not sour, though), light fruits such as lemons, apples, and berries. Slightly spicy, but very clean

T: Same as the smell, very barnyard-like, along with those tart fruits and spice. Alcohol goes unnoticed except for in the finish, where it adds nicely to the spicy and fruity notes

M: Medium-light bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation

D/O: A great spring/summer beer that is quaffable for an 8%er. This one makes me want to try the seasonal varieties, and see where they can go. I’ve only seen the winter version in my area, but I might just try to seek out the other 3 as well

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A: cloudy straw-yellow, big head settles to a frothy ring, scumming the sides of the glass

S: strawberry and apricot jam, it smells like candy--pink Starburst--with some grassy parsley in the background

T: very fruity, that same strawberry candy from the nose, raspberries, but it still manages to remain a beer through the addition of lager-y malts and hops

M: full bodied, good carbonation

O: very interesting and very drinkable, it's really surprising to me that I liked this but I would happily drink another

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle sampled during the first Central Ohio Beer Tasting.

I forget whose this was, I want to credit MpgBugeye though since Fantome is one of his favorite breweries.

Cloudy wheat color - quite golden, with a tall cap of white head.

I was told about the smell, but nothing could quite prepare me for it - strawberries! Holy cow, how does this happen? Definitely the most interesting natural saison (no added fruit or other extreme adjuncts) that I am familiar with. Semi-sweet low fat whipped cream makes for a pseudo strawberry shortcake type of aroma. Doughy malt, but very light.

Slightly tart with hints of lemon. The funk here is super active. Stinky cheese - like Gorgonzola and dry attic dust with barnyard hay make this a very traditional, and extreme, saison.

Dry, very yeasty, with high carbonation. This bottle was enough to wake me up to the world of Fantome, and I am now curious to sample more.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

A: Opaque yellow-orange-brown. Almost hefe-like.

S: Sour apricots, shoe leather, green papaya.

T: Green apple, lemon, grass, sour apricots, tart guava. Water crackers. Pink peppercorns, sage. Fantastic balance. The soft tart note lingers throughout the profile, illuminating the flavors around it in fascinating ways.

M: Medium body with a nice carbonation that tingles in and out of the tartness in the profile. An orange-sweetness in the finish is balanced by a tart dryness.

O: Complex and delicious. Tastes like a lambic/saison hybrid.

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%

Fantome saison pours a hazy yellow with a creamy white head that begins to stick to the glass immediately. Good retention and lacing.

As soon as I start to pour the aroma reaches my nose. All kinds of yeasty scents going on, funky and horsey mixes with fruit. Bready malt, lightly sweet, a little bit grassy. Very nice.

The flavor has the same components as the aroma, but I notice them in the opposite order. Bready malts, sweetness, a bit of a candied sugar flavor greet me immediately. Followed by a slightly sour, quite funky, very dry yeast character. The finish has a mix of both fruit and pepper, along with another bite of tartness. The finish also seems to be lightly spiced, maybe a little bit of cardamom.

The mouthfeel is spot-on. Effervescent, silky, and mouth-filling.

I think the flavor was a little bit of a letdown after how amazing and funky the aroma was, but I still liked my first Fantome beer quite a bit. I know that this brewery is known for their spices, but I would prefer a little less of a spiced taste so that fantastic yeast profile could shine.

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Opens with a loud cork pop and an immediate blast of farmhouse yeast aroma. Pours a lovely straw-orange color, good clarity, 1-finger white head which recedes quickly. Yeasty aroma reveals some lemon, tropical fruit, spice and floral notes. Taste is floral, herbal, a balance of mild sweetness and sourness. Lively mouthfeel, lingers but without any heaviness.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Open this bottle and had a gusher. Pours a cloudy honey orange color with a large white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma has oranges, lemons, Belgian yeast, coriander, and peaches. Very impressive. I can't wait to try it.

Tastes just like the aroma. Oranges, lemons, Belgian yeast, coriander, and peaches. Has a sweet falvor, but is not cloying. Such a good beer, that I want to keep drinking and not stop.

Medium bodied with high carbonation. Very easy to drink. Both sweet and dry. The alcohol is well hidden. This beer is very easy to drink.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

750ml bottle served in a chalice.

A: Visual is not outstanding. Pours a light orange color with a medium to small bubbled white head. Head disapears quickly leaving no lacings. A lot of sendiments in the bottom of the bottle. The more you pour it, more cloudy it becomes

S: Very fruity and spicy. Quite citrus. Notes of grains, apples and vanilla. Some flowery hops in the end

T: Perfect mouth. First of all refreshing. I was expecting it to be much more sour, like a Lambic, but it's not. It's mild sour with an also discreet bitterness. Very spicy, indeed. Complex. Difficult to describe all the spicies. It's herbal, peppery and, at the same time, fruity and citric. Notes of apples, sweet malts and a mild bitter hoppy end

M: Light to medium body. Medium carbonation. Sour fruitiness as aftertaste

O: High drinkability. My first Saison Ale, great surprise. Strongly recommend

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle, BB March 2012. I'm gutted to say that having held on to this for 18 months after drinking a tonne of these in the US, the flavours have faded considerably. This review kind of conflates my memory with the real-time of this review.

Hazy marmalade, moderate white head, okay retention. Gotta watch that sediment.

Sticky apricot danish, rosewater, fresh tangerines and boiled sweets. Pungent floral aromas reminiscent of trampling through my grandmother's garden. Twang of spice that unfortunately I can't identify. So delectable.

Almost all of the above divinely balanced by a dash of green apple tartness.

Medium mouthfeel, perfect carbonation. Simply astonishing that this is 8% - tastes lighter than Dupont Saison.

Exquisite. A feast for the senses yet at the same time crisp, refeshing and approachable.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Body is a cloudy gold with a foamy head that quickly dissipates to a cap and ring, leaving minimal lacing.

Besides a malty aroma, this smells like a lemon lollipop.

Tastes lemony sour, balanced by a bit of sweetness, and some barnyard funk. I also get a bit of strawberry.

Body is light and carbonation is effervescent, giving this a scrubbingly refreshing mouthfeel.

This is a delightful sour saison with clean lemony sour notes and is very drinkable.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%

A huge thanks to Aw yeh for sharing this beer with me. The corkscrew broke in the cork so we ended up pulling it out with pliers haha. Thanks World Market ten dollar corkscrew

Appearance - An extremely cloudy sickly green. Tons of yeast floating around in it. Very opaque and looks like murky apple juice. Looks delicious.

Smell - A huge presence of apples right upfront. Slightly acidic and funky on the nose. This smell relaxes me and makes me think I am laying under an apple tree. Smells slightly sour.

Taste - Hmm. Not nearly as sour as I expected it to be. Apples absolutely dominate the taste and it is delicious. An awesome cider apple taste with a slight sweet/sour zing.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Exceptionally drinkable and easy to drink. Perfectly enjoyed either as gulping or sipping. A good apple zing to it.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Split with Jesse13713; sorry to him for breaking his corkscrew trying to get the bottle open. Kudos to Fantôme for sealing their beer well?

A: Pours a cloudy apricot color with two-three fingers of frothy white head. Excellent lacing.

S: Outstanding aroma, and not what I expected from a saison. Huge rush of fresh orchard fruits to start things off- apple, pear, and peaches are all very distinct. A light yeast funkiness comes through shortly after that, adding balance and complexity. Outstanding.

T: Tons of funky yeast flavor here, with a great deal of both sweetness and tartness provided by the sweet fruity flavors. A heavy white grape presence comes through as the beer warms. Not as great as the smell, but very interesting and it definitely is worth checking out.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, smooth and creamy. Moderately dry finish.

O: Very enjoyable beer and goes down quickly; not overly funky as some saisons are (though I realize that's a desirable characteristic to some).

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme