Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme SaisonFantôme Saison

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

EDIT merged from Fantome Biere Artisanale Sur Lie

Poured into wide mouthed snifter from 750ml bottle. Capped and corked. No date found. Here goes. My first Fantome:

A- Pours a brilliant gold with an ivory head, very active. Tiny carbonation bubbles line the underside of the snifter. A very nice looking beer. Head is strong at first but settles after a few minutes. There's lacing from an aggressive pour, even before the first sip. As I drink, no lacing beyond the first ring sticks.

S- Yeasty funk is in full effect. There's a sweetness behind it, but the doughy, slightly sour yeast takes center stage. One could identify this beer's country of origin simply by smelling this brew.

T- Holy f'ing s... this is a great beer. There's a fruity richness to this that I've never tasted before. Tartness, like biting into a green-skinned apple. The funk is in the nose but not really in the taste, although a sourness comes through after a bit. This is probably the most balanced beer I've ever had.. the flavor profile is a 10 out of 5. Seriously, seriously, seriously.. I'm blown away by the taste of this beer.

M- The fun doesn't stop here. Slightly acidic, slightly tart, slightly sour, but expertly blended. This is an amazing mouthfeel. Healthy carbonation helps this along, but this beer is a joy to drink. Simply perfection... I can't imagine a better balanced beer.

D- High. Higher than high. At $14 a bottle, it's expensive, and yet I can recommend this to you whole-heartedly. I think I'm swooning for this beer. I will buy more of this, regardless of the price.

World-class. My highest review to date.

Reviewed on: 08-20-2009 03:25:21

02-08-2010 04:01:24 | More by ShogoKawada
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Moved from Fantome Biere Artisanale Sur Lie

Overall, this was fantastic.

It has a light creamy orange color and the creaminess is definitely tasted.

It has a strong scent of strawberry which was unexpected, but enjoyable.

There was not much strawberry in the taste, but it is very smooth and it isn't bitter. There is a hint of citrus but not overly sweet.

I would love to have another bottle.

02-08-2010 02:52:53 | More by VWBuggirl
aerozeppl

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Moved from the Biere Artisanale Sur Lie label.

Westmere Beverage in May of 2008 and cellared since then.

A: The first pours yielded a nice bright golden straw color with a finger of white head. Really nice lacing especially for a Fantome beer. By the end of the bottle the sediment to beer ratio made the sour head in me swell with glee. I mean there was a ton of yeast floating around. The end of the glass probably had a tablespoon full of yeast.

S: The smell was awesome. The barnyard funk was there but not really that powerful. It was a touch on the sour side. I am having a hard time putting to words everything that is going on in this beer. Some botanicals were in there as well. The apples came through very clearly. Insanely complex. Best saison I have ever had.

M: Very crisp mouthfeel. A joy in my mouth.

D: I wish I had another bottle of this. It has been getting really hard to get a hold of Fantome beers and that really is a shame. I love everything I have ever had from them but this is a standout. World class.

02-08-2010 01:37:16 | More by aerozeppl
ckeegan04

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Bright sweet potato orange with a thin, bubbly white head. Head fades to a thick ring around the top of the beer. Very active carbonation constantly rising to the top.

S - Sour fruit, especially lemon and a hint of grain. As it warms a very earthy aroma begins ot dominate. Sourness does carry throughout though. Light funk as well.

T - Tart fruit flavors initially, almost like a mix of orange and pineapple juice. A more sour lemon taste begins to come through as the beer warms a bit. Light taste of white pepper provides a touch of spiciness.

M/D - Light and crips. Sourness does not linger too long after the drink. Very easy drinking saison. Almost has hints of lambic in it. Very very good.

02-08-2010 00:30:38 | More by ckeegan04
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Cheers to DavoleBomb for this one, cheers Dave! BBD of May 12, no pop when this opens...

Pours a semi-hazed gold with a finger of pearl colored head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Grassy & lemony

T: Lemons, pink grapefruit & tartness, plus dry apple cider notes up front. More dryness as this warms, a touch of golden delicious apple & then more tartness, along a hint of cidery booze. Finishes very tart indeed, pink grapefruit & apple peels dominate, along some serious tannins

MF: Medium bodied with near zero carbonation & some acidity that I can feel attacking the enamel on my teeth!

Pretty darn drinkable, not as complex as I like my saisons, but still very nice. I would buy another bottle to age if feasible, to see how this ages. I remember drinking Fantome during a weekend in the Ardennes, this one brings back a lot of great memories. Enough of a sour/tart streak to this please sour freaks

02-07-2010 03:39:49 | More by russpowell
Casey10

Maine

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Update: Seems I put my review in the wrong beer but that seems to a common issue, but I guess this is now fixed.

Here is my review:

I can't believe I have had this beer for 4 months sitting in my cellar after finaly trying it.

I picked this up at RSVP in Portland, ME about 4 or 5 months ago. I wanted a fantome beer added to my collection.

A must have. Great sour from Belgium. Really smooth and unbelievable. Once drank another will be wanted.

If you have not had this beer you must.

02-04-2010 22:23:28 | More by Casey10
MbpBugeye

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

A- quite cloudy and very bright. This is a lemon colored beer with a big fluffy white head. Very sexy looking.

S- Fruity with a slight Belgian barnyard funk to it. This is one good smelling beer. You know you are in for a lot of oranges, peaches and apples as well as some sourness.

T- As the nose implies. Slightly sour, just enough to make your glands twinge. Light as juicy fruits like lemons and oranges, pears, peaches and apples. This is one juicy and thirst quenching beer. Very Very exceptional.

M- Slightly puckeringly sour but not over done. Very juicy and thirst quenching, this would be amazing on a hot day.

D- If drinkability could be rated a 10 on this site I would mark it that high. This beer is simply amazing. One of my favorites Ive had all year. I was sharing this bottle but really wish I had one to myself.

02-03-2010 07:28:29 | More by MbpBugeye
AnswerInQuestion

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Dark yellow-brown with 1 1/2 fingers worth of head fading to a frothy layer in top of the beer. Almost opaque, but with carbonation visibly spiraling upwards through the center of the glass.

S: Champagne-like sweet and sour apples and lemon, notes of sharp smelly cheese like swiss or provologne.

T: The cheese flavor is actually stronger in the taste. Starting as sweet gala apple and moving through tartraspberry to sour lemon.

M: Creamy over the lips and tip of the tongue. Very lightly carbonated, but adequately for the overall effect.

D: Deliciously smooth, so in that way very drinkable. The sourness builds a bit...but it almost makes you want more, to retrieve the sweet flavors in the beggining of each sip/gulp/guzzle.

02-03-2010 06:40:09 | More by AnswerInQuestion
nickd717

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

750ml bottle from City Beer in SF.

Pours a cloudy golden color with a large white head and good lacing.

Aroma is very fruity - apricot, peach, and citrus - as well as sweet malt and Fantôme's typical heavy barnyard funk.

Flavor is really, really fruity. Did they use actual fruit in this? Loads of apricot and peach in the flavor, as well as some Valencia orange. The horseblanket you expect is also in there, although not in excess. A little sweet and a little tart.

Medium body with lively carbonation.

Very drinkable. An excellent saison overall, up there in the top tier of the style for sure.

02-01-2010 01:28:47 | More by nickd717
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev 0%

750ml bottle split courtesy of Bobsy - thanks for the good drinks man!

Pours a light, clear golden apple juice/straw color, not much head from the pour, settles to some light wispy lacing on top.

Nose kicks up marmalade, pear, cider, a light sourness and a hefty dose of grain. Very fruity.

Much more balance in the taste and a nice kick of sour to keep it interesting. Apples, lemons, pears, a hint of earth, grain, a light tartness. Just a hint of alcohol in the finish which belies the ABV, otherwise incredible smooth and drinkable.

Really nice balance, feel like you could drink it all night but at 8% this one could be dangerous - not a typical saison in that regards. Very nice beer, thanks Rob!

01-19-2010 19:19:06 | More by ritzkiss
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first Fantome, and hopefully a big hit because I have four different saisons from these guys and if this is a bust I'm gonna start worrying.

Pours a slightly hazy, rich gold with an off-white head that drops to nothing. A couple spots of lace stick, but were it not for the nice colouration this beer would be off to a bad start. The aroma is neat... full of tree fruit. I'm picking up some peach and apricot, some lemon, grass and a musty funk in the background.

Large white wine quality to the flavour. Fruity, but low on residual sugars, with a dry slightly sour finish. The fruit comes through with lemon, apple and peach and the spicy, slightly barnyard saison yeast assets itself in the finish. The dryness and sour edge really elevates this saison and makes it distinctive in a crowded category. You'd never tell this was 8%. Medium-light mouthfeel and fairly soft carbonation suits the beer well, and makes for quick drinking.

Saisons have risen to become mt favourite style, and even after all the ones I've had I can say that this Fantome is unique. I have heard that the flavour of a Fantome beer can vary drastically from year to year and batch to batch, but right now I'm really digging this one. It tastes like a saison with a bit of lambic thrown in for good measure, and its drinkability is extremely high. Great stuff, and I'm already anticipating what my other bottles have in store!

01-19-2010 13:56:05 | More by bobsy
eljefe21

4.15/5  rDev -3%

A: Apple cider like golden yellow color. Single finger head quickly fades to almost nothing. Beautiful thin lacing.

S: Cider like smell with hints of cinnamon and other spices. Some citrus undertones. A bit of a sour nose.

T: Reminds me of cider. A bit sour, but tasty. Hints of spice and citrus.

M: Cleansing and refreshing while warming on the way down. Sourness puckers the tongue a bit. Decent carbonation that helps lift some flavors while other flavors stick to the tongue.

D: This one is kind of hard for me to judge. I had high expectations going in which made it hard for this to meet. Wish I could compare this to other Saisons side by side to see if I really like those better or if my expectations were out of whack. Definitely tasty, but I feel like I've had better.

Served: in a cervoise glass.

Review from notes taken on: 12/13/09.

01-16-2010 14:54:30 | More by eljefe21
champ103

3.08/5  rDev -28%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow/orange color. At first a two finger white head forms, but recedes in a second. Very light lace is left behind.
S: Funky barnyard and bready yeast up front. Lemon zest and some spices.
T: A lemony citrus flavor is most prevalent. Lightly sour and yeast. Dank and musty. There is not much here.
M/D: A light body that is a little under carbonated. Thin and watery. Not hard to drink, but I am really not all that interested in this.

I was looking forward to this, but I am underwhelmed. This is one of my favorite styles, but this did not do it for me. There is nothing much here. Mostly watered down lemon juice. Nothing I would recommend.

01-02-2010 04:01:33 | More by champ103
Thorpe429

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Consumed on New Year's Day - 01.01.2010

A: Pours a hazy, pale apricot with a nice bone white head and plenty of sticky lacing.

S: Some initial horse blanket and funk, with a few citrus notes in the background. There's also a little bit of an apple cider smell. Highly aromatic and quite inviting.

T: A bit more muted than the nose, but all of those flavors come back. The brett is clearly present along with some citrus and cider notes. A bit of lemon and some white peach. Slightly sweet as well.

M: Quite dry, yet keeps me salivating. Nice and acidic, but balanced by a bit of sweetness and the perfect level of sourness.

D: Highly drinkable. Quite complex and always inviting. Definitely one of the best saisons that I've come across.

01-01-2010 19:45:13 | More by Thorpe429
ThirstyBird

Germany

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Appears a hazy apricot color with an off white head.
Smells lightly sour, sweet malt. Honey, spice - A little funk
Taste is sour citrus some sweet malt in the middle, honey, straw.
The body is light/medium. Typical effervescent carbonation is near perfect for a Belgian saison.
A great saison...'nuf said.

12-30-2009 15:46:34 | More by ThirstyBird
Crittervision

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Enjoyed this with Christmas dinner.

Beautiful murky golden appearance. A 1-finger head that recedes fairly quickly to just a single spotty layer of bubbles that remains til the end.

Smells wonderful. Hadn't had a saison in a long time, great surprise as my memory had left the present experience wide open to possibility. The "pungency" is perhaps as good as it gets. I have some lambics in the fridge which were also options, but I'm so glad I picked this beer over those. Thinking of those almost makes my mouth wrinkle in sour expectation, but this beer didn't do that once. Anyway! Lemonish (maybe other fruits, citruses in particular, which I can't specifically name) overtones, funk is right near the citrus in prominence, with very light grass-clippings and hay aromas showing themselves below that.

Taste follows, the smell makes for no surprises in the taste, but! the mouthfeel was probably the biggest surprise -- after the utmost delightful aroma, that is.

The mouthfeel is extraordinary. The carbonation is exactly where I'd want it for the style. It's spritzy enough to delight the tongue, yet smooth enough to delight whatever comes next. After fifteen or twenty minutes, my stomach isn't feeling any of the illl-effects I typically feel after drinking other Belgians that have pronounced levels of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. The 8% alcohol is flawlessly hidden behind the wonderful flavors. Everything about this beer leaves me wanting more. The light funkiness, citrus, appearance, smell, taste... where did you go, fantome?

Also, the moderate carbonation allows the taste to linger on the tongue between sips. That is a very good thing. Only after about ten minutes since my last sip is the taste finally dying. Guess I'll have to move on to something else...

12-25-2009 21:07:44 | More by Crittervision
jampics2

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

2009 bottle, Red letters, shared by Brandon - thanks, man!

Pours a cloudy mandarin orange. Nice head sticks around for a bit before subsiding. This is a great looking beer.

Smells amazing. Fresh cut apples, strawberry, yeast.

Taste is so perfect! I wish we could rate batches of Fantome, as Danny makes some of the best beers ever, but every once in a while a bad-ish batch shows up (probably more due to the trip across the pond than his craftsmanship). After being a bit dissapointed with the last black label batch I picked up, I am thrilled to report the red letters batch is the bomb. Sour apple, puckering sour watermelon, strawberry and peach all sit atop a flawless light malt body, sealed into one cohesive flavor ride by the classic Fantome yeast. Mild spices and a slight cork flavor, but it all makes it better!! More and more flavors in the same vein emerge as this warms up.

Carb is lively as it should be for a lighter, fruity saison. Body is perfect.

Drinkability is off the charts. This is a killer beer, one of the best in the world, and something I will always keep a bottle or 20 on hand. World class, glad to finally start rating these Fantomes - I have a closet full just waiting to be rated :)

12-23-2009 14:27:08 | More by jampics2
laituegonflable

Australia

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to BA lacqueredmouse for sharing this bottle. Having drunk it before he suspects this bottle may have been off - but since I still enjoyed it I'm posting this review anyway. In the future you will not see this review because I will have re-reviewed with a fresh bottle.

Pours a sickly orange colour, translucent and day-glo in the body - a huge haze with some sediment chunks floating around in there. Head is small, leaves a ring of bubbles around the top, plus trails of off-white sticky lace. Looks like an interesting glob of unfiltered heaven.

Nose is hugely tart with a big lemon juice aroma and a big whiff of hay, a hint of leather, and some pineapple aroma as well. In fact smells a bit like slightly off pineapple, when it's begun to ferment. Very sweet overall, a lot of complexity lurking behind it though, excellent saison nose.

Tastes very fruity for the most part, with a lot of pineapple, guava and mango (!!) on the front. Turns slightly funky towards the mid with a decent barnyard kind of flavour, hints of camel and off fruit. Sour for the most part, but with an earthy soil edge, and not puckering. Finish though is tragically lacking - the palate really just sort of drops off, or fizzles out, with a slight lemon squash flavour lingering. A bit of grassiness at the back but it really finishes weakly, which is such a shame because it starts promisingly indeed.

Quick slick on the feel, but fairly full, goes down a bit slowly and with effort. Interesting, definitely, there's always something happening in the mouth.

Absolutely and utterly inoffensive beer. Pleasant, even.

I can't wait to re-try this with a fresher bottle :)

12-21-2009 22:56:23 | More by laituegonflable
adamette

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Live review. The first of four consecutive Fantôme beers that I purchased for $13.99 one day at Rozi's in Lakewood and The Beer Engine just a short distance away in Lakewood. I have been wanting to drink these since I got them a few months ago and now is the time as I approach my 800th review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 oz. green bottle which was corked and capped but removing the cap resulted in no carbonation release, it was all held in by the cork. Lot # "b" May 2012 indicated on side of label, best before date. Poured into my silver rimmed Hennepin goblet, my only Saison glass.

A Visible sediment in the bottom of the glass, a ½ inch white fluffy head over slightly cloudy yellow brown body that glows in front of direct light. Second of two glasses that I got from the bottle was significantly darker yellow and was opaque, unable to see through it at all. In front of direct light the color showed through and obvious sediment was observed. 4.5

S That great saison smell of Belgian yeast, some sweet malt but mostly a wheat like soft grain smell that is a classic saison smell but a welcome and interesting one. 4.0

T This is an interesting taste in a beer that I do not recall having before. There is a much bigger citrus presence than I expected, especially after getting the aroma which presented as a classic soft saison. The citrus, kriek like tartness were a surprise and are the most prominent taste. Just behind the tart citrus are the tastes that I normally associate with the style, a light wheat grain like softness of a saison. Distant aftertaste of cornmeal, grains. 4.0

M Citrus tartness and "thick" nature of a saison increase the feel but this is a moderately big beer. 4.0

D You know, the citrus tastes confused me at first and I was not sure about the drinkability but I found myself going back for sip after sip until it was gone. The ABV is hidden very well and so this would be a dangerous beer to have a lot of around. Due to its cost (about $6 per glass) drinking too much of it will not likely be a problem.

Notes: Well there is my first Fantôme beer. I am looking forward to the remaining 3 that I have which will bring me to #800.

12-18-2009 07:18:10 | More by adamette
goatgoat

Arizona

1.85/5  rDev -56.8%

Poured from a green corked bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A gentle pour produces a hazy apricot with a little frothy head. The head dies down quick and leaves a brew with a viscous appearance. Bubbles rise lazily from the laser-etched bottom for a little bit but then the brew is deadly calm.

As I open it and pour it a fruity alcohol hits my nose. I leave it for a while, warming up from fridge temp. Light fruits, lemon rind, a light oak and hint of funk. A nice undefinable spice character.

Taste is horrid, watered down lemon juice, bitter and pervading cork. No date or batch number on bottle. This is going down the drain.

Medium body with no carbonation.

At the price, I'll not be trying this again.

12-08-2009 02:56:00 | More by goatgoat
Gmann

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Out of a 750ml corked and capped bottle. Pours a hazy straw color that produces a tight white head that dissipates into a solid ring. The aroma is tart with green apple skins and lemon. Some light barnhouse funk rounds out the aroma. The taste is of tart lemon, dry white wine, hay crushed black pepper, and light horse blanket. Not much phenols from the yeast. The feel is light to moderate, with tingly carbonation, finishes tart and dry. Must say that it is very refreshing. Not exactly what I'd usually prefer with saisons but this is very well made. I typical like my saisons a touch sweeter with more yeasty flavor but this has great balance and is very drinkable. Its tart but not to the point of puckering. Nice to finally see this available in my area and with a cork in the bottle. All previous Fantome bottles have been corkless and close to flat.

12-08-2009 02:39:09 | More by Gmann
colts9016

Idaho

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got this beer from my recent trade and I am very happy to try it, plus it was on my want list. I poured this beer into my Tripel Karmeliet Tulip Glass at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A very weak white two finger head that has very little retention. I poured the beer hard and still resulted in a weak head. The color of the beer is a medium amber color. The clarity of the beer is hazy and dense.

Nose: A seriously funky beer that is going to take some time to sort out. There is a rich fruity ester of lemons and oranges. There is a yeasty aroma with the hops. There is a sour note but really hard to tag the compounds and finally there is some alcohol essences.

Taste: Okay this beer has a strong sour note with esters of lemons and oranges. There is a yeasty note with some biscuit flavors. There is some bitterness to the beer but not very strong, they are floral with a hint of wood. The tail end of the beer is tarty with some alcohol warmth.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, tarty/puckering, some alcohol warming. The body of the beer is light to medium and the finish is medium. This is, I think the first funky Saison beer that I have tried. This is one beer to experience. I like the tartness and funky flavor in the beer, which give this beer a fresh vibe. I was very disappointed in the head, if the head would have been nice this beer would almost be perfect.

12-01-2009 00:43:46 | More by colts9016
mmmbeer

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL green champagne bottle with no notches in the area on which to do so. It has a nice golden body with a few floaties, a good amount of carbonation, and a two finger cap of fluffy white froth that leaves loads of lacing/sheets on the glass. It becomes more opaque with subsequent pours and foam slowly builds in the bottle as I drink. In the nose there's a soft spiciness with some light hops, citrus?, tropical fruits?, an herbal, almost woody character, a big backing of yeast and some funky, almost sour notes. Spicy yeast and perfumy hops on the palate, with suggestions of orange and honey, pear, green apple, melon rind, mild alcohol, and some distracting cork flavors. Little, if any bitterness. The body begins light, with numbing carbonation that forces it to foam up a bit too much in the mouth, but when that calms down it's more smooth and dry, approaching silky, but never losing that carbonic edge. The quality of this beer snuck up on me - it was delicious from the start, but really good by the end. The only criticism I have is the pervasive cork character, but even this seems to blend well with the rest of the flavors. A highly-recommended saison.

11-30-2009 20:08:24 | More by mmmbeer
radshoesbro

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

poured from a 750ml into a bruery snifter. enjoyed with my wife on july 11, 2010.

this is my favorite saison, so i'm going to attempt to be as objective as i can.

pours a dark gold with a frothy head that recedes quickly leaving no lace. swirling proves to be futile, as no lace will form on the glass at all. no yeast floaties at all.

smells so damn tasty! cloves, honeysuckle, sweet grass, are all present. the malts aren't quite as prevalent as i remember. this has a good solid yeast smell. not very much funk on the nose.

dry, but not tannic. very light bodied with mild spice and a pastural grass taste. there is very little funk taste this year, which is somewhat disappointing!

this year's white ghost is a light crisp brew that makes for perfect summer weather. in san diego on a hot day this is going to be perfect!

---

11/29/2009

Poured out of a big, messy 750 into an Allagash glass. It's surprising the label was even able to stay on, it looks like it should have just peeled off at the brewery it's so messy. Pop the cap and find a cork, which manages to contain my fear that maybe this had been oxidized or infected. Pours a golden color with a strange, slight brown hue. Upon further inspection, the brown is actually massive quantities of yeast. They're everywhere!! I don't mind some yeast in my brew, so I can't really complain about this at all!

Smells of peppery lemon and orange and other assorted fruits. There's a musty horse blanket to it (which my wife says makes anything sound like it will taste disgusting), but it's also very sweet at the same time. Very wonderful nose. Probably the best smelling Saison I've ever been lucky enough to enjoy!

Strong spiciness on the tongue with hints of herbs. There's a slight coriander there, which I find to be very mild, but noticeable. Yeast is very prevalent and the spiciness dances across the tongue and lingers there for some time. Truly delicious and an absolute victory in the world of Saisons!

This beer has a nice way of jumping up and letting you know you've been drinking! At 8% this isn't a session beer by any means, but by no means is it not drinkable.

A light bodied beer, but the spiciness creates an illusion that it's heavier than it actually is.

This is something that I look forward to aging as well as I feel this could definitely develop some really awesome characteristics a few years down the road!

11-29-2009 02:14:30 | More by radshoesbro
GilGarp

Colorado

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Lot B, Best before end: May 2012.

A capped and corked bottle, the first time I've seen that before. Served chilled in a goblet. It has a glowing golden yellow color with towering white head that just won't stop. A beautiful looking beer.

Aroma is evident as soon as I pop the cork. It has a distinctive sweet and spicy smell with a slight funky undertone. Some tropical fruit that I don't recall from other saisons.

Flavor is just awesome and has so many dimensions. Right off the bat, it has some light fruity sweetness that I recognize from the aroma. It's tart and citrusy almost like a key lime. Then it starts to bring on the funk. A nice musky sour taste that must come from wild yeasts. The spicy-dry finish adds yet another layer of complexity.

Mouthfeel is medium light in body and big in carbonation. The flavors are many yet very well balanced.

Overall an amazing beer worthy of distinction.

11-19-2009 23:33:52 | More by GilGarp