Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme SaisonFantôme Saison

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002)
4.58/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a capped and corked 750 into a pint glass.

a - Pours a pale golden color with about a finger of white foam that disappeared quickly. Moderate carbonation evident.

s - First smells were sour and citrus, which was followed by smoe sweet fruits for a nice sweet and sour mix. Also a little bit of funk to the smell as well. Very nice.

t - Again,a nice mix of sweet and sour. Some fruit taste to it, but very sour apple like as some people have noted. Lots of tart and sour citrus like lemon as well.

m - Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

d - Admittedly not my favorite style of beer, but I thought this beer was great. The sweet and sour mix in both taste and smell made this very enjoyable, and it was still very easy to drink. I would definitely like to try this one again.

mdfb79, Feb 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Reviewed in February 2009 under the artisinal sur lie label. Have been advised that in fact this is the same beer as the regular saison, and that my review needs to be moved in anticipation of BA dropping the artisinal sur lie listing as a seperate beer. So....

Saw this for the first time at Max's during 72 hours of Belgium. They were out of the Saison, but the bartender indicated this should be similar. Good recommendation.

The beer pours a hazy yellow gold color with noticeable sediment. The beer has very good head retention and lacing. On the nose, I get some nice honey and spice, but with some lemon and almost a fresh mown grass aroma (that's Fantome for you). The combination is intriguing, but also pretty attractive. On the palate, there is a complex flavor array of honey and lemon, with some wheat grass and straw flavor as well. The sweetess is pretty moderate and is not the least bit overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and drinkability is pretty good.

As is often the case with Fantome beers, I enjoyed this beer more and more as I went along. Another interesting beer from Fantome. Would definitely order this again.

John_M, Feb 21, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle, date unknown, into a tulip glass. Beer is yellow and hazy and forms a white head of small bubbles. Carbonation is moderate to low and the head slowly falls away leaving some lacing on the glass.

Beer is slightly fruity smelling, kind of like apples, kind of like sulfur, a little like a pilsner. Interesting.

Beer is medium to low bodied, finishes fine, nice sweetness up front, overall subtle on the sweetness. Beer finishes with this tartness / fruitiness that is similar to apples. Sour apples, second taste, there is definitely some sourness on the midpalate regions and that gives way to some fruitiness in the back palate. Not really bitter, overall drinkability is really high, so is mouthfeel. Love it.

drabmuh, Feb 15, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from cage and corked 750ml bottle.

A- Pours a light hazed golden yellow color. One and a half finger white head comes and goes in a matter of mintues. Ring lacing left on the glass from pour but nothing there after.

S- This smells wonderful! Bigger barnyard funk right off the bat mixes well with a underlying sourness. These two aromas don't overpower the beer which was nice. Some apple like notes along with a lemony tartness come into play right after the funk. Some sweetness from the grainy malts make up the backbone of this beer. There is some earthy tones in this as well as the beer warms more and more.

T- From the aroma of this beer I expected this to be great. I was right! Bigger fruit upfront with the taste of apples underlying it all. Almost a citrus and tropical burst (not hoppy) over the apple. There is a lemony sour tartness that comes into play but nothing overwhelming at all. Some earthy barnyard notes come and go throughout this entire beer. Ending has the classic band-aid like taste that makes this beer shine overall.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is perfect for the beer. Crisp in the mouth sip after sip. Good light sour fruit notes left on the palate after each sip mixing with a band-aid flavor into the aftertaste. Wonderful light sour flavors everywhere in the mouth.

D- This is a very drinkable beer. A interesting beer for anyone to try. I would rather split this with someone to let them try than to drink it all by myself. Will be seeking a couple more bottles out for my cellar.

alleykatking, Feb 11, 2010

Fantôme Saison
Brasserie Fantôme
Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale
ABV: 8.00 %

I have been hunting this brew for awhile now, and my buddy finally found one and brought one back from World Of Beer in south Florida for us to share. 3 of us shared the brew (the other 2 were non saison fans) and all of us enjoyed the brew. It surpassed my expectations, and I am a big Saison fan. One of my favorites to date.

Appearance was a very cloudy lemon/straw color with an fluffy bright white head that lasted the entire beer. Noticeable chunky sediment.
Aroma was not as strong as I expected, but still worked very well. Tart lemon/cirtus, apple cider notes, spices and a wee bit of funk - but still enjoyable for most.
Tastes exactly as it smells on a light Pils malt base, lemon shandy, apple cider, pils malt brew, a bit funky.... This beer could fool the masses for sure as some type of apple wheat lambic or something.
Mouthfeel is medium-full for a Saison in my opinion, high carbonation lightens the beer up without weighing you down.
Drinkability surpassed my expectations. Spot on to style, and one of my benchmarks Saisons IMHO.

unclejimbay, Feb 10, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Definitely one to try... and enjoy.

A: Like a cloudy freshly pulverized orange juice. Has the color of thick, concentrate mango juice. fizzy head has reduced to a consistant 1/4". Give it a swirl and the head practically sticks to the beer, it even made a swirl design.

S: Apricot, fig, apple, orange, lemon, raisin, funky cheese... yes please!

T: Like a mild liquid provolone and sharp cheddar blend, with those grapefruit pull on the side of the tongue, and the citrus stays up front on the tip of tongue. The sourness expands and punches harder as it warms up.

M: This is where the beer really takes it... there is a lot of funk in the nose, and it is amazingly clean. Superb quality. Good carbonation that dissipates over time.

D: Very approachable yet a fun exploration. Very smooth, I could drink tons of this stuff, but I will have to be patient, because I want it around for a while.

gthornton, Feb 10, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

750ml Bottle in a tulip glass.

Aroma- funky and sweet, citrus, cat piss, brett/sour/acids. lactic. tangy. incredible aroma.

App- clear. super fine haze. white head dissipates.

Taste- pineapple, mango and other tropical fruit. dry. citrus. crisp. acidic and tangy. amazing funk. very complex and pleasing. light caramel, very sweet malt but dry finish. waxy/chapstick. artificial strawberry. strawberry jolly rancher. cherry pie sourness (brett?)

Mouthfeel- dry, puckering tart. med to low carb. malty sweet but dry. mellow alc in mouth.

Overall- incredible. complex. this is one of my favorite beers ever.

hobojon, Feb 09, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Split a capped and corked 750 i brought back from belgium three ways into La Chouffe tulip. reviewed 8/26/2009.

Ar: acidic, strawberries, tart fruit, floral, citric acid, funk, earthy, light barnyard character, bubblegum, very strong fruity and floral, strong and complex

Ap: creamy off white head, good retention and lace, fine haze straw

F: pleasant tartness, strawberries, clean pale malt, funky fruit, good acid, strong fruitiness, tart cherry, dry end, clean alcohol, leathery fruit, light cherry pie, candy-like fruit, a bit artificial but not too much to be bad, tropical citrus

M: medium fine carbonation, light body, clean alcohol, not quite as crisply refreshing as something like the dupont saison but still quite good

O: Overall an excellent beer, very good and unique. Shows the more rustic side of saisons.

DaveJanssen, Feb 09, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Review moved from biere artisinale sur lie

Poured this one into my Duvel tulip. My first glass produced a 5 finger rocky offwhite cap. Definitely had the classic saison head. The body of this beer is a light gold w/ some haze from the yeast. This beer had a glow to it, similer to the flesh of a ripe peach. As I consumed the beer, my glass looked like it was full of soap suds. Perfect.

My first whiff hit me with lots of sour citrus. Lemon, tangerine, mixed in w/ some sweet candy. Lemonheads come to mind, w/ a little bit of earthyness. There is only a slight trace of funk present as the beer warmed up. With a little more of the funk the nose would've have been perfect, perhaps a bottle with some more age would develope a little more funkyness which I would enjoy. Neverthless, the smell is outstanding.

This is the most sour saison I have ever had. Lots of citrus in the taste, a little tangerine and orange, but the lemon character was front and center in this brew. This beer finished w/ a little candy sweetness, again i'll reference lemonheads, w/ just a touch of spice at the end.

Lots of carbonation in this brew, seems to get softer and creamier towards the end of the bottle, had a light to medium body. This beer finishes really dry and leaves a sour bite all around my mouth. I couldn't imagine it getting much better.

For me this 8% saison is as good as it gets. It was sour, complex, refreshing and I have to regard it as one of the best beers I have ever had regardless of style.

steadydose, Feb 08, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Review merged from Artisanale Sur Lie.

Green cap and corked 0.75 litre bottle bought at the brewery in the summer of 2008, drank during a Belgian big bottle evening with friends.

Poured in one go, into four tulip glasses. The body was a orange/low amber/light terracotta colour. A soft white head arrived and left before I had a chance to take a sip or even smell the glass.

Sweet and sour in both smell and taste, cooking apples to toffee apples with the sourness more pronounced in the last glass which had some sediment within it.

Drinkable and pleasant, I know how much sugar Dany puts into his brews, so I always clean my teeth after one of his beers, I suggest you do the same if you want to keep them!

BlackHaddock, Feb 08, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

EDIT merged from Fantome Biere Artisanale Sur Lie

Poured into wide mouthed snifter from 750ml bottle. Capped and corked. No date found. Here goes. My first Fantome:

A- Pours a brilliant gold with an ivory head, very active. Tiny carbonation bubbles line the underside of the snifter. A very nice looking beer. Head is strong at first but settles after a few minutes. There's lacing from an aggressive pour, even before the first sip. As I drink, no lacing beyond the first ring sticks.

S- Yeasty funk is in full effect. There's a sweetness behind it, but the doughy, slightly sour yeast takes center stage. One could identify this beer's country of origin simply by smelling this brew.

T- Holy f'ing s... this is a great beer. There's a fruity richness to this that I've never tasted before. Tartness, like biting into a green-skinned apple. The funk is in the nose but not really in the taste, although a sourness comes through after a bit. This is probably the most balanced beer I've ever had.. the flavor profile is a 10 out of 5. Seriously, seriously, seriously.. I'm blown away by the taste of this beer.

M- The fun doesn't stop here. Slightly acidic, slightly tart, slightly sour, but expertly blended. This is an amazing mouthfeel. Healthy carbonation helps this along, but this beer is a joy to drink. Simply perfection... I can't imagine a better balanced beer.

D- High. Higher than high. At $14 a bottle, it's expensive, and yet I can recommend this to you whole-heartedly. I think I'm swooning for this beer. I will buy more of this, regardless of the price.

World-class. My highest review to date.

Reviewed on: 08-20-2009 03:25:21

ShogoKawada, Feb 08, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Moved from Fantome Biere Artisanale Sur Lie

Overall, this was fantastic.

It has a light creamy orange color and the creaminess is definitely tasted.

It has a strong scent of strawberry which was unexpected, but enjoyable.

There was not much strawberry in the taste, but it is very smooth and it isn't bitter. There is a hint of citrus but not overly sweet.

I would love to have another bottle.

VWBuggirl, Feb 08, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Moved from the Biere Artisanale Sur Lie label.

Westmere Beverage in May of 2008 and cellared since then.

A: The first pours yielded a nice bright golden straw color with a finger of white head. Really nice lacing especially for a Fantome beer. By the end of the bottle the sediment to beer ratio made the sour head in me swell with glee. I mean there was a ton of yeast floating around. The end of the glass probably had a tablespoon full of yeast.

S: The smell was awesome. The barnyard funk was there but not really that powerful. It was a touch on the sour side. I am having a hard time putting to words everything that is going on in this beer. Some botanicals were in there as well. The apples came through very clearly. Insanely complex. Best saison I have ever had.

M: Very crisp mouthfeel. A joy in my mouth.

D: I wish I had another bottle of this. It has been getting really hard to get a hold of Fantome beers and that really is a shame. I love everything I have ever had from them but this is a standout. World class.

aerozeppl, Feb 08, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Bright sweet potato orange with a thin, bubbly white head. Head fades to a thick ring around the top of the beer. Very active carbonation constantly rising to the top.

S - Sour fruit, especially lemon and a hint of grain. As it warms a very earthy aroma begins ot dominate. Sourness does carry throughout though. Light funk as well.

T - Tart fruit flavors initially, almost like a mix of orange and pineapple juice. A more sour lemon taste begins to come through as the beer warms a bit. Light taste of white pepper provides a touch of spiciness.

M/D - Light and crips. Sourness does not linger too long after the drink. Very easy drinking saison. Almost has hints of lambic in it. Very very good.

ckeegan04, Feb 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Cheers to DavoleBomb for this one, cheers Dave! BBD of May 12, no pop when this opens...

Pours a semi-hazed gold with a finger of pearl colored head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Grassy & lemony

T: Lemons, pink grapefruit & tartness, plus dry apple cider notes up front. More dryness as this warms, a touch of golden delicious apple & then more tartness, along a hint of cidery booze. Finishes very tart indeed, pink grapefruit & apple peels dominate, along some serious tannins

MF: Medium bodied with near zero carbonation & some acidity that I can feel attacking the enamel on my teeth!

Pretty darn drinkable, not as complex as I like my saisons, but still very nice. I would buy another bottle to age if feasible, to see how this ages. I remember drinking Fantome during a weekend in the Ardennes, this one brings back a lot of great memories. Enough of a sour/tart streak to this please sour freaks

russpowell, Feb 07, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Update: Seems I put my review in the wrong beer but that seems to a common issue, but I guess this is now fixed.

Here is my review:

I can't believe I have had this beer for 4 months sitting in my cellar after finaly trying it.

I picked this up at RSVP in Portland, ME about 4 or 5 months ago. I wanted a fantome beer added to my collection.

A must have. Great sour from Belgium. Really smooth and unbelievable. Once drank another will be wanted.

If you have not had this beer you must.

Casey10, Feb 04, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

A- quite cloudy and very bright. This is a lemon colored beer with a big fluffy white head. Very sexy looking.

S- Fruity with a slight Belgian barnyard funk to it. This is one good smelling beer. You know you are in for a lot of oranges, peaches and apples as well as some sourness.

T- As the nose implies. Slightly sour, just enough to make your glands twinge. Light as juicy fruits like lemons and oranges, pears, peaches and apples. This is one juicy and thirst quenching beer. Very Very exceptional.

M- Slightly puckeringly sour but not over done. Very juicy and thirst quenching, this would be amazing on a hot day.

D- If drinkability could be rated a 10 on this site I would mark it that high. This beer is simply amazing. One of my favorites Ive had all year. I was sharing this bottle but really wish I had one to myself.

MbpBugeye, Feb 03, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Dark yellow-brown with 1 1/2 fingers worth of head fading to a frothy layer in top of the beer. Almost opaque, but with carbonation visibly spiraling upwards through the center of the glass.

S: Champagne-like sweet and sour apples and lemon, notes of sharp smelly cheese like swiss or provologne.

T: The cheese flavor is actually stronger in the taste. Starting as sweet gala apple and moving through tartraspberry to sour lemon.

M: Creamy over the lips and tip of the tongue. Very lightly carbonated, but adequately for the overall effect.

D: Deliciously smooth, so in that way very drinkable. The sourness builds a bit...but it almost makes you want more, to retrieve the sweet flavors in the beggining of each sip/gulp/guzzle.

AnswerInQuestion, Feb 03, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

750ml bottle from City Beer in SF.

Pours a cloudy golden color with a large white head and good lacing.

Aroma is very fruity - apricot, peach, and citrus - as well as sweet malt and Fantôme's typical heavy barnyard funk.

Flavor is really, really fruity. Did they use actual fruit in this? Loads of apricot and peach in the flavor, as well as some Valencia orange. The horseblanket you expect is also in there, although not in excess. A little sweet and a little tart.

Medium body with lively carbonation.

Very drinkable. An excellent saison overall, up there in the top tier of the style for sure.

nickd717, Feb 01, 2010
4.28/5  rDev 0%

750ml bottle split courtesy of Bobsy - thanks for the good drinks man!

Pours a light, clear golden apple juice/straw color, not much head from the pour, settles to some light wispy lacing on top.

Nose kicks up marmalade, pear, cider, a light sourness and a hefty dose of grain. Very fruity.

Much more balance in the taste and a nice kick of sour to keep it interesting. Apples, lemons, pears, a hint of earth, grain, a light tartness. Just a hint of alcohol in the finish which belies the ABV, otherwise incredible smooth and drinkable.

Really nice balance, feel like you could drink it all night but at 8% this one could be dangerous - not a typical saison in that regards. Very nice beer, thanks Rob!

ritzkiss, Jan 19, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first Fantome, and hopefully a big hit because I have four different saisons from these guys and if this is a bust I'm gonna start worrying.

Pours a slightly hazy, rich gold with an off-white head that drops to nothing. A couple spots of lace stick, but were it not for the nice colouration this beer would be off to a bad start. The aroma is neat... full of tree fruit. I'm picking up some peach and apricot, some lemon, grass and a musty funk in the background.

Large white wine quality to the flavour. Fruity, but low on residual sugars, with a dry slightly sour finish. The fruit comes through with lemon, apple and peach and the spicy, slightly barnyard saison yeast assets itself in the finish. The dryness and sour edge really elevates this saison and makes it distinctive in a crowded category. You'd never tell this was 8%. Medium-light mouthfeel and fairly soft carbonation suits the beer well, and makes for quick drinking.

Saisons have risen to become mt favourite style, and even after all the ones I've had I can say that this Fantome is unique. I have heard that the flavour of a Fantome beer can vary drastically from year to year and batch to batch, but right now I'm really digging this one. It tastes like a saison with a bit of lambic thrown in for good measure, and its drinkability is extremely high. Great stuff, and I'm already anticipating what my other bottles have in store!

bobsy, Jan 19, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -3%

A: Apple cider like golden yellow color. Single finger head quickly fades to almost nothing. Beautiful thin lacing.

S: Cider like smell with hints of cinnamon and other spices. Some citrus undertones. A bit of a sour nose.

T: Reminds me of cider. A bit sour, but tasty. Hints of spice and citrus.

M: Cleansing and refreshing while warming on the way down. Sourness puckers the tongue a bit. Decent carbonation that helps lift some flavors while other flavors stick to the tongue.

D: This one is kind of hard for me to judge. I had high expectations going in which made it hard for this to meet. Wish I could compare this to other Saisons side by side to see if I really like those better or if my expectations were out of whack. Definitely tasty, but I feel like I've had better.

Served: in a cervoise glass.

Review from notes taken on: 12/13/09.

eljefe21, Jan 16, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -28%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow/orange color. At first a two finger white head forms, but recedes in a second. Very light lace is left behind.
S: Funky barnyard and bready yeast up front. Lemon zest and some spices.
T: A lemony citrus flavor is most prevalent. Lightly sour and yeast. Dank and musty. There is not much here.
M/D: A light body that is a little under carbonated. Thin and watery. Not hard to drink, but I am really not all that interested in this.

I was looking forward to this, but I am underwhelmed. This is one of my favorite styles, but this did not do it for me. There is nothing much here. Mostly watered down lemon juice. Nothing I would recommend.

champ103, Jan 02, 2010
4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Consumed on New Year's Day - 01.01.2010

A: Pours a hazy, pale apricot with a nice bone white head and plenty of sticky lacing.

S: Some initial horse blanket and funk, with a few citrus notes in the background. There's also a little bit of an apple cider smell. Highly aromatic and quite inviting.

T: A bit more muted than the nose, but all of those flavors come back. The brett is clearly present along with some citrus and cider notes. A bit of lemon and some white peach. Slightly sweet as well.

M: Quite dry, yet keeps me salivating. Nice and acidic, but balanced by a bit of sweetness and the perfect level of sourness.

D: Highly drinkable. Quite complex and always inviting. Definitely one of the best saisons that I've come across.

Thorpe429, Jan 01, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Appears a hazy apricot color with an off white head.
Smells lightly sour, sweet malt. Honey, spice - A little funk
Taste is sour citrus some sweet malt in the middle, honey, straw.
The body is light/medium. Typical effervescent carbonation is near perfect for a Belgian saison.
A great saison...'nuf said.

ThirstyBird, Dec 30, 2009