Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Served from a 750 in a Duvel Tulip at cellar temperature.

A - Burnished gold and hazy with sediment in suspension from an aggressive pour. Nice white head with big, tightly packed bubbles. Frothy like steamed milk.

S - Smells similar to a typical european lager... some strawberry preserves hidden in the back. Some golden honey. Some vanilla. Fresh like dew covered grass on a summer morning. Appealing.

T - Aggressive in its sweetness off the bat. Doesn't posess the degree of smoothness or roundness that you'll find in other Saisons. Slightly tart and acidic in the finish. Good, but not great.

M - Slightly zealous, but creamy mouthfeel. Decently smooth finish.

D - Not a bad Saison, but for the money, there are better options.

3.05/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance- Poured a good head into my big tulip with good retention until half the beer was finished. Then retention went out the door and a bland, flat looking beer was all I could see. But their was still some lacing to behold. REDEMPTION!! Color was a light mahagony grain color.

Smell- A dry mix of toasted candies interlaced with amber waves of grain. Very earthy.

Taste- Pretty tart. Not what I expected compared to my tastes of Saison DuPont. But then again Fantome is supposed to be a very out there brewery. Anyway, A tart and dry mix of potting soil, grass, hard bread, and country air.

Mouthfeel- Pretty puckery. Not too say my mouth puckered whilst drinking this beer. But it was tarter than I expected. Almost cloying.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from corked 750ml bottle(room temp) a cloudy medium gold with a large head of foam that dissipated slowly but left a fine layer on the beer and...this one loves to stick to the side of my glass! Hehe..

The smell is all spicy and fruity..so much going on, I can't give it proper justice with mere words.

The taste is a wide mix of flavours...I note lemon tartness, a yeasty earthiness, some pepper and a bit of clove, there's even a touch of sweetness that grows in strength with subsequent sips and everything works together *so* darn well, I'm finding it hard to believe! And the 8%abv? Not even in the picture! Can you tell I really like this stuff? :^)

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that I would buy often if it was available to me locally. I'm glad that I make periodic trips to Ft Collins. ;^)

PS: Now, when I think Saison, I think Fantôme.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

So, this is my 100th review... 750 ml corked and capped bottle with a ghost and the default description of their brewery on the label. If the head, which started out big and frothy, were to have stuck around a little while longer (it faded to thin lacing after a couple of minutes) this would get a perfect score. There is a good bit of yeast floating around in this beer's apricot body. I don't think I can pick out all of the different aromas. I'm detecting peach, grapefruit, lemon, orange, pear, pepper, herbs, Belgian yeast, and funk. Every Fantôme I've ever tasted has been delectable- the Chocolat that didn't taste like chocolate was the only one that wasn't amazing. The spicy bitterness, the fruity sweetness, the tart fruitiness, the funk, the floral notes- this is unbelievably delicious and it's very refreshing even though it has a dry mouthfeel. Totally worth the $12.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

I found a bottle of this beer at my local Whole Foods and snapped it up.

It's a hazy golden color with a small head that leaves a ring of foam in my glass.

Its smell is something else: very fruity. I smell strawberries and spices. I've never smelled a beer like this before. It smells quite sweet.

The taste is quite different from the smell. It's very musty and earthy. The taste grows on me after a while. At first I was a little disappointed. But now it's quite nice. There's a bit of pepper and apple flavors in the back end of this brew. I can't detect the 8 percent ABV at all. It is extremely well-hidden.

Overall this is a nice Saison. As they're all different, you'll just have to try this one and see what you think. It's a lot more earthy and musty than Ommegang's top-rated brew. But I feel this has a more "authentic" flavor to it.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

750ml bottle, double-sealed with a bottle cap and a cork. Served lightly chilled in a large Burgundy bulb wine glass.

A: dark yellowish, hazy, coming with a foamy white beer head with good retention; moderately fizzy body.
S: from the moment when the bottle is popped open, a flow of sharp and aromatic fruity note shoots out in the air--ripe strawberries, mango+pineapple juice, ripe perfumy apricots, more astringently tart aroma of perry and sour edge of wood barrels, with a faint hint of vanilla. The whole fruity layer rests on top of more settled, cake-ish sweet maltiness, while lively, musty, sour yeastiness so typical of Saisons/Bier-de-Garde and accompanies other aromas at every sniff. Sheer brilliance~~
T: hmm... stark contrast to the aroma for sure: sourly-bitter and sharp fruity palate, almost like a milder version of farm-house cider; the tannic fruitiness, remotely reminiscent of sour-bitter lemon juice, is underlined by a dryish and musty sour hint of yeasts (like the bi-product of barrel-ageing) and white-peppery spices. A subtle bitterness (from hops?) lingers well in the aftertaste, where the residual fruitiness is transformed from 2D appearance into a more crisp, 3D mouthfeel. A cider-like, utterly dry and tannic finish.
M&D: an evolving mouthfeel from astringent to smooth, with the help of constantly fine and creamy fizz against a dryish-sour palate... this medium-bodied heavy-weight treads lightly, almost ideal as a thirst-quencher, like some semi-dry sparkling wines. It's hardly my choice for a "session" Saison, for which I prefer a rounder and slightly sweeter version, but this one really is hellu'va distinct beer to savour. To me it's a must-try, and something I'd love to go back to whenever given a chance~~

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours hazy light orange with a with a very large dense white head. Beautiful lacing. Smells of peaches, toast, lemons and there's a vague hint of, oddly enough, goat cheese backing it all. very very faint brett?

Flavor is huge peachy lemony, loads of toasted malt. A slight herbal character adds tremendous complexity. Slight spice. Very full. Ends with a smooth fading hop bitterness/creamy goat cheese. It's at once one of the most confounding and best things i've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel is very soft and airy and creamy.

Enormously drinkable, especially after a hot day outside.

A new favorite of mine.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Beautiful, shining, apple juicy golden color with a massive, gaseous, quivering head. Excellent retention.

Smell: Quite a complex nose! Mint, clove, coriander, candy sugar, banana, pineapple, strawberry, bagel dough, wet fall leaves... wow. There is more going on in here than I will ever be able to figure out; as the bottle says, "the Fantôme never gives up its secrets."

Taste: Apple cider, strawberry purée, white grape juice, minty herbs, lemon, lime, and a great deal of spicy zing, most likely from the combination of hops, yeast, and alcohol. Not as intriguing as the nose but still quite good. I can see why people say this style is so versatile when it comes to food; it would go well with anything from Italian to Thai, any cuisine high in glutamates.

Mouthfeel: Full and chewy but too syrupy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable but not a perfect 5 due to the higher ABV and slightly abrasive spiciness. Still, an excellent beer. I'd love to try it cellared.

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Miller High Life proclaims itself, "The Champagne of Beers". Quite a misnomer, I guess the French do have reason to hate us. Were I to point someone in the "Champagne of Beers" direction, the first stop would be the saison and there's none finer than Fantôme Saison.

The bottle top has a wire cage, a traditional cap AND a cork, making it getting to it's sweet nectar that much more rewarding. The cork pops like a champagne bottle and instantly the brilliant aroma hits you. It's sweet and tangy - a pleasant mixture of peach, strawberry and citrus. Very comforting. It pours nicely into the two chalices as the missus and I eagerly await. The murky golden straw color looks nice with it's billowy froth.

The taste too, has a citrus flavor but well balanced with sour notes and apple tang. a hint of coriander and clove fill it out. The body is light and refreshing, the 750 mL split between us two, was not enough. We were sad to see it go.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer poured a golden yellow/orange body with a thick foamy white head.

Nose is a mix of phenols, spice, yeast and a multitude of fruit flavors. Apricots, apples, dates, bananas, pears and even bubble gum. There's a sharp alcohol bite in the nose as well.

Taste is medium to full bodied. Very fruity from start to finish. Really a rehash of the nose. Apricots, peaches, bananas, oranges, dates, golden raisins, apples, apple core and again cheap baseball card bubble-gum. There's an overall mustiness mixed with earth flavors that balance the big fruits. Floral touches, herbal and a mild sweetness. A big hop bitterness and even touches of grainy hop flavor move from beginning to end.

Really a fantastic saison. One of the fruitier ones out there for sure, but one I wouldn't hesitate having again.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

This was totally not what I was expecting from a saison, but in a very pleasant way. This is my second Fantome beer and it's the second time I've been blown away by it. Very interesting stuff.

The beer looks simple enough. Golden yellow, slightly hazy with a decent white head that recedes fairly quickly. Carbonation isn't too terribly active, but that cork sure came out like a son of a gun. Lacing isn't all that impressive either.

This is one of the few beers I've had where appearance is not my first impression, however. As soon as the cork was removed with a resounding cannon blast I could immediately smell Fruity Pebbles cereal. The two were seperated at birth.

The taste also has the strong malty fruity pebbles flavor, but there is much more going on. Has a nice hop bite in the early finish and mellows out into a wheaty, fruity dryness. It amazes me that this beer is 8% because I would have pinned it at about 4.5% had I not known better.

Damn good. Damn drinkable. Lingers on the palate forever with its pleasant blend of spices. None of that belgian funky horseblanket stuff here, just a hell of a beer. I could forsee the inital taste becoming a little bit cloying by the end of the 750, but if there is no edit below, assume not.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks once last time to Gueuzedude. This is my final bottle from BIF 10.
Wow. What a mix of aromo's. Even before pouring the soft spiciness and bit of pepperiness are noted. After pouring the fruit appears which again is soft and pleasant with a presence of citrus and lightness. Blended with a yeasty earthiness, that again isn't overpowering, just there.
Golden orange that pours clear from the top of the bottle. Head is white and dissipates slowly. Very attractive color that matches the orangish aroma's and flavors. Appealing lacing qualities too.
Tastes has all the aspects of the aroma, just with a different balance. Fruit is quite noticeable up front, but is doesn't stick around for the middle and finish which is more dominated by the yeastiness, astringency and dryness. Seems a little less complex than the aroma too.
Pretty soft and a thinnish quality without being thin. Seems right for the flavors. Carbonation is very fine without actually being effervescent and adds a nice softness that rounds off the feel.
This is balanced nicely with the fruitiness with the yeast qualities and dryness. Each sip is complex and interesting. Alcohol is not evident. Quite nice overall.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Orange in color with a dense, rocky and consistently morphing head of white foam. Rustic and bursting nose with undeniable aromas of strawberry jam and rock candy along with hints of peach, nectarine and spice. I love how this version is fairly light on spice and instead, just loaded with fresh fruit flavors of all kinds, especially peaches and nectarines. Fairly dry, sweet, slighty tart and extremely complex. It’s hard to believe that after 12 other Fantome beers, the original is still my favorite. It’s incredible each time

Recent bottles have really showed Dany Prignon’s inconsistent brewing. Fantome Saison is really only a 4.7 20-25% of the time. Sometimes it is bone dry and sour and sometimes it is very sweet. So I am lowering my score for now, until I have a bottle that shocks me again.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

After a bit of struggling, the cork releases with a resounding POP! Poured into my Ommegang cervoise. Shimmering gold with several hundred suspended particulates and a fluffy eggshell white head. Incredible aromas: mown hay, fresh strawberries, slight rubbery phenols, apple cider. Phenolic flavors surround a mouthfull of fruit: the aforementioned strawberries, tannic green grape skins, apple juice spiked with powdered ginger. Fine grassy hop bite at the finish. Clean, crisp mouthfeel; dry, despite the fruit-inflected sweetness. Less carbonation than perhaps I'd prefer. Medium-thin body. Sweeter than I prefer for a regular drinking choice, but a masterful saison all the same.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a snifter. Nearly a one-inch head with good retention and amazing lacing. Color is a light golden orange, very cloudy. Notes of orange peel, spicy clove, and a candy aroma reminiscent of PEZ present in the smell. The taste is a complex mix of earthy, citrus, clove, honey, spicy malt, with a slight sour/bitterness toward the finish. Alcohol is not very noticible. Mouthfeel is nice, a medium body that coats the palate nicely and has medium carbonation. Drinkability is solid. A nice mix of unique malt flavor, this is a great saison...

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

750 ml bottle, pours a glowing gold, slight haze, a finger of bright white head, decent retention and lacing. Nose is extremely yeasty, slightly funky, a little must, apple, spice, slightest bit of sour vinegar, complex and interesting. Taste is yeasty doughy goodness, slight bit of pear/mango/apple fruit, strong spices, clove, coriander, pepper, slightly tart lemony finish, overall a very nice refreshing saison. Medium bodied, highly carbonated, nicely effervescent,this is an easy drinking beer. This was my first Fantome, and it was really a great one.

3.1/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bland, dull, vapid, humdrum…all of these words describe this beer, surprising me. This is not like the Fantome that I know and love. I must assume that this is a bad bottle, however, I will review it because there are no terrible qualities. This one just seems muffled and boring.

Appearance is great. The bottle pops with an explosive orce. The crown is huge, lasting and magnificent. The body the perfect color, cloudy stawlike gold. The sediment is a bit on the high side. Using a decanter is a good idea for this beer.

Smell…Not much. I get a little straw, a little sour twang, some lemon grass, some wheat, peach here, pepper there but all are muddled. This beer smells like it would if I had a cold, but I don’t have one. It’s just not very pungent or exciting.

Taste is just like smell. Floral notes and citric acid. Light fruits. Nice…but weak.

Mouthfeel is alright. Sweet front, slightly sour finish and just a bit of tang. Thin…but thickening towards the end. Bitter in some ways, juicy and sweet in others. Very complex as it should be.

Drinkability: even this seemingly off sample is highly drinkable. I’ll try again and rereview at the next opportunity. I expect positive results.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

750 ml bottle purchased at LaBodega in Riverside, CA in February 2006 for $11.99.

Big gunshot with very smelly gunsmoke as the cork comes out. The aroma is very sour, almost urine-like (on further review, I actually think wet, rotting hay, perhaps with some urine in it is a better description), musty, wow, what a beginning for this beer.

Pours an apicot golden with an initial moderate white head that dies fairly quickly to a white ring in my Chimay goblet.

Aroma: The initial gunshot aroma was admittedly pretty awful. It made wonder if I was going ro be able to even think about this beer. But after it settled in the glass, it became interesting. Slight sweetness, syrupy fruit (canned pear juice) and an odd mustiness.

Flavor- a wild and interesting mix of honey/peach-apricot juice (you know those Hansson's nectars that come in a can?) on the sweet side and a musty tartness that I hear called barnyard, horseblanket, etc. I've never been satified with those words, but I can't think of what else to use. Farily sweet on the tongue, but cut by some grassy herbal stuff. Fairly dry ending.

Drinkability is decent, although overall, I am very intrigued by this beer, but don't see it as something I would want to drink all the time.

FOLLOW UP: I didn't finish the 750 in one night (so much for drinkability) and so I had the last bit this evening. Lots of chewy brown yeast bits stuck between my teeth, and overall I can say I like this beer, but it's a strange beer. Much harder to get my arms around that other saisons that I may have rated lower. This one is more complex, more interesting, and in some ways, I really like this beer. But it's not as easy to enjoy as some others. Ratings revised accordingly.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

appearance: light, golden amber, pale, nice thick head.

smell: hmm, kinda spicy, gingery perhaps? also a floral fruity bouquet to follow.

taste: wow, being that this was my 1st saison i wasn't sure what to expect, but man was this a shock to my taste buds. i got a slam of fruit and spices that was almost overwhelming at first. very nice hint of hops, light malt, and the delicate taste of booze.

mouthfeel: light, crisp, and bubbly. sweet dry finish. very refreshing

drinkability: i wished i had another on hand.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Another great brew from Brasserie Fantome. They have yet to let me down and I doubt they ever will.

Golden body with white head and lacing. Smells of spicey belgian malt with a touch of hops. Taste has a great fruit/ester element that I cant quite identify but is oh so nice. The spice and malt are a touch unbalanced however, but that could come down to personal preference. Easy drinking and feels nice, of course. Never had a saison quite like this and this inspire me to try more of the style.

The Beer Gods are clearly smiling upon Brasserie Fantome and all who imbibe their fine ales.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

I am drinking a chilled 750 mL bottle poured into my Chimay chalice.

Appearance: The ale is dark yellow and cloudy. There are no large chunks of sediment visible. The pour gave a head of less than 1 finger's width and quickly dissapated.

Smell: The ale has a very natural, fruity smell. If pressed, I'd say green apple or green grapes were the tastes in question.

Taste: The aftertaste strikes me as something similar to Robitussin, quite mediciney. Prior to the medicine taste, some of the fruitiness of the aroma comes through and mixes with an upfront, fresh hoppy taste to provide a real high note. Upon tasting the ale is it warms, that medicine taste referred to above does diminish. (Note to self, let the damned thing warm
up.)

Mouthfeel: The ale is not heavily carbonated, so the tastes from a sip linger for a bit of time. They leave a gamey, natural taste in the mouth after swallowing that leaves the mouth dry (and therefore requires another sip).

Drinkability: Very drinkable. This saison is light and refreshing, providing a great ale for those lazy hazy summer days (or mid-50 degree post-Christmas, pre-New Years December days).

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a hazy golden yellow-copper body with a thin pure white head that fades to a few rocky bubbles. The body is fill with lots of microscopic bubbles.

S- A nice tart citrus note with some hints of cider vinegar finish with a nice earthiness. As it warms there is a faint barnyard smell but it is very gentle.

T- The sourness is balance with some nice fruit apple and notes of lemon flavor. The finish has a nice clean tangy flavor that blends with a bitterness that could be hops but is not distinctly hops. As it warms the notes of ruby red grapefruit start to appear with a slight sweetness.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel but no alcohol heat or tart astringency.

D- I found a wonderful fizzy yellow beer. This as very subtle complexity and it is hard to pull out specific flavors. Even though it is 8% ABV it is very smooth and light. The sourness is not overpowering but compliments the fruity hints and the bitterness.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

orangey gold and quite hazy with a thick white head. the aroma consists of juicy orange and perfume-y strawberry mostly, as well as some more undefinable flroal fruity smells. there is some subtle spicy aromas with a little bit of a fresh cut hay smell too. it has a little funky moldy belgian quality that resides underneath the other aromas that adds some really nice complexity, who'd have ever thought that smell would be so welcomed in a beer.
the taste, sour but sweet with fruity flavors all over the place, orange, strawberry, lemon, peach, apple, and probably others. a subtle spicy effect is also noticable most notably a peppery. there are hints of clove and corriander that sorts of lends a drying effect. the strawberry flavor develops some strength as the beer warms. it feels thicker than it might actually be with a slightly oily feeling in the mouth. light airy carbonation cleans things up perfectly. very drinkable and delicious. an excellent saison, that really puts other examples of the style to shame, at least the others i've had.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

This brew pours a cloudy dark orange color. The head is massive, fluffy and white, and recedes slowly. The aroma is of oranges, not orange peel like you would find in a hefe wiezen, but actual oranges. Spices and tartness are also present in the aroma, but are rather mild. The sip is yeast and dry, transitioning into a juicy orange finish, which quickly reverts back into a dry yeasty aftertaste. The mouthfeel is a tad lighter than medium bodied. Overall, this is a very nice brew. It is flavorful and complex without being in your face, which is always a plus in my book.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: The color of peaches that are a tad too ripe, with a big, honeycomb fluffy head that perfectly my expectations for the style.

Smell: A bizzare, funky kind of yeast strain, dusty tangerines, and freshly chopped wild mushrooms, with a splash of alcohol. Cool!

Taste: Carbonation nice and lively, it gave this Beer a nice citrucy pop, with bread flavors, a strange hop profile (my guess is he uses spent hops) and the finish is yeasty and bitter like banana peels. very nice stuff!

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme