Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 792 | Hads: 1,754
4.51/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Eyes: Dark straw color. Light bubbly head. Looks good, lets dive in.
Nose: Slight pleasant funk, citrus.
Ears: Faint whispering from the beer..."drink me"..."drink me".
Mouth: follows the nose...Tart, citrusy...I don't want to go overboard with the descriptors. A ridiculously complex and tasty Saison. I feel bad for the people who got bad bottles. (349 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -55%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Cantillon stemmed glass

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange color with 2 fingers of a white head. Lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Heavy band-aid aroma with rubber band. Underneath that is some funky yeast and spices. Maybe a hint of breadiness.

Taste: Right upfront you're met with a tart/sourness and a bit of lemon even. Very quickly it changes to an intense burnt rubber flavor along with band-aid and smoke. Imagine that burnt rubber smell you get when someone is driving fast and slams on their breaks. Put that in beverage form and that's what this tastes like.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall: Gonna go ahead and assume this is a bad bottle. I can't imagine this is what the brewer intended this to taste like, but I can only review it based on what's in front of me. I'd like to get another chance to try this, but won't be going out of my way to find it. (930 characters)

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter, golden yellow with a large white head that lingers leaving good lacing, very cloudy

S: yeasty and slightly sour, lemon zest, pale malt, sweat

T: yeasty bread, tangy cirtus, lemon, funky

M: light and fluffy, high carbonation

O: excellent saison with unique yeasty flavors (321 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle into teku
A - pours light orange with a light two finger white head
S- some funk, lots of hay, some subtle citrus, some peppercorn,
T- starts with a slightly barnyard taste, definitely some funk, slight amounts of citrus again, very grassy, hints of Belgians yeast. There is a slightly rubbery taste, not entirely bad though. The flavor changes quite a bit as it warms up, very fun to drink.
M- plenty of bubbly carbonation
O- I don't have enough experience to rate a bottle as good or bad. This was very unique, had some great earthy notes, and some less then great hints. I did like it, but I'm not blown away. A rare treat for me nonetheless (651 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -60.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Obviously I got a bad bottle. Have you ever put athletic shoes in the dryer? It starts like that. That flavor gently yields to rubber bands and then charred bandaids. Maybe a hint of sweaty gym socks. It's really hard to pin down the exact flavors, because I'm so anxious to get this monstrosity out of my mouth. Quite possibly the worst beverage I have ever had. Mind-numbingly disgusting. This is what I imagine prison wine must taste like. Check that. Prison wine can't possibly be this bad. I've had infected beers before but this is a new level of terrible. If I were faced with the choice between dieing of dehydration and drinking this, I would choose death without a second thought. (690 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Dark orange, cloudy body. Fizzy bubbles slide down the glass quickly into a nice retaining layer, leaving no lacing. Appears very heavily carbonated.

S: Pears. Bananas. Funky yeast. A bit of faint hops. Some hay and grass.

T: Sweet pear-like fruits. Bananas. Funky tart yeast. Peppercorn spice lingers in the finish. There is almost a smoky applewood taste.

M: Prickly heavy carbonation. Dry like a champagne. Light body.

O: Very unique take on a classic style. The complexity of smoky/spicy and sweet/dry is really invigorating. It's refreshing and crisp - seems to get better as it warms. (597 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

a: bright hazy orange and burnt caramel. looks so bright. large 3 finger solid white head with a bunch of little bubbles

s: wow - a lot going on here. right up front is a nice funk, wheat, vanilla, sweet citrus, clove, coriander, tons of fresh bread. a hint of something banana-like as well. mouth watering. can't wait any longer

t: wohaa the funk hits you like a punch in the face right as you sip. this is the most intense saison i've ever tasted. loads of funk! then it fades to a real nice yeasty flavor followed by passion fruit/pineapple and peach. after that you taste the spice - coriander and clove, and just the right amount. it balances the sweet without becoming dominant. there is also a load of green apple and pear in this as well. flavor ends with funk, yeast, and that sweet citrus. this tastes unlike any other saison i've had. its amazing, really complex - yet still light superrr easy to drink. careful - this 8% is hidden perfectly. try. this. now

m: medium, with not as much carbonation as i'd expect. still its flavors are bright enough without.

o: i admit i may have a bias towards this, because it has been a want of mine for a while. but - this is great. even if you don't like saisons i'm begging you to give this a try. it is so harmonized and complex, while remaining easy drinking. real good stuff. you can taste the effort put into making this. (1,379 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -69.1%

Like others before me, I was stricken with a bad bottle. Not sure why so many bad bottles are slipping through production. After the initial foaming head, and my excitement bubbling too, I poured and tasted... burnt rubber. I waited a few minutes to see if the taste would change and it did not. Shame as I read it was a great beer. (333 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750ml capped and corked bottle into a glass

A: The cork comes out with a loud pop. Foam quickly started gushing out; I had to make a mad dash for the kitchen sink. Once that died down a bit, I was able to pour. Even the gentlest of pours yielded a HUGE head of billowy, white foam. I'm talking 4 inches of foam and no visible beer. After a series of alternating pours with letting the head die down, I was left with a hazy, amber-golden-straw color.

S: The aroma opens with the spicy scent of cloves, followed by some estery fruits. As it sits a little longer, a notable forest floor mustiness joins the profile. Crack black pepper. Light, pink bubblegum and a touch of bandaid round out the aroma. (The bandaid scent complement the rest of the aroma and is light enough that it does not come across as an off flavor.)

T: Much fruitier than the aroma would have you believe. Banana, bubblegum and a touch of clove on the attack. The clove builds in intensity, peaking in the mid-palate where it is joined by a light fig/raisin flavor. Ever so slightly tart, but with a good caramel malt body. Some earthy barnyard funk and wet hay contribute as well. The finish is light, estery alcohol and fruit.

M: Low carbonation and medium body with a light stickiness. On the drier side.

O: Excellent. I've been quasi-searching for this beer for the better part of two years now and I am glad to have stumbled upon it. Complex even for a saison, with a wide range of flavors, all of which interact nicely with each other. I do wish it was slightly more carbonated and wouldn't explode everywhere. Up there with Saison Dupont and Saison-Brett as one of my favorite saisons. (1,680 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml
$11.49
West Lakeview

This is from the batch that became available in the US in late '07. Fantome is written in black with "biere artisinale sur lie" written below. I pulled the cork and all was well. Setting the bottle down to grab the phone I was back in 30 seconds, that was long enough to let the gushing start. Lucky it was a slow gusher. As soon as I looked back foam was dripping down the neck. I caught it with minimal spillage but the yeasties, I was so careful with; got shot up into the beer in the process.

Even with the yeast explosion the body of this beer looks really great. The appearance is of a setting sun over a lake with that deep orange and golden that fills the sky. There's haze from the yeast that was released but it doesn't hurt the appearance. The head is big and billowy white, two fingers to start off and never fell to anything less then a finger. The glassful of quickly rising carbonation keeps the head in place and helps with the sticky sheet lacing down the glass. What a great looking beer!

The nose on this saison is phenomenal! The smell is that of summer in a glass. I have yet to encounter such a fruity farmhouse brew. The nose on here is all melon and reminds me of a big plate of sliced cantaloupe and the ripest honeydew. A sugary sweetness hides out in the background and is from natural sugars, like the sweetness in strawberries, which are big in the aroma as well. This beer smells so vividly like a fruit plate that I can actually taste it from the smell alone and my mouth waters uncontrollably. This is the best nose on a beer I've encountered in quite some time.

The melon is abundant in the flavor as well. As a matter of fact the flavor follows the nose very closely. Cantaloupe, honeydew, and strawberry abound in waves of flavor. This beer is so dizzyingly complex it's hard to even describe but I'll give it a whirl. Behind all the juicy fruitiness lies a hint of candied lemon peel. There's a good amount of spicing in here as well. I'm going out on a limb and saying Curacau and coriander were added which add a hint of Belgian wit into the mix. This beer is a wonder!

The mouthfeel is the only thing lacking on this beer and I suppose lacking isn't the correct word because it's still very good. The body is a on the lighter side of medium but has a bit of stick on the swallow that allows the flavors to linger. The carbonation is more smooth then airy like I expected but it works very well for the higher abv.

The drinkability is out of this world. A perfect beer for the warm weather of the summer but one I wouldn't hesitate to pick up at any time of the year. This could be paired with so many different light desserts and fruit/cheese plates and would create a match made in heaven.

I've sample Fantome's Saison in the past and while it was damn good this beer just goes above and beyond. This is my new favorite farmhouse ale. Fantome Saison has an incredible depth of flavor with a 100% refreshment factor. Delicious (3,000 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into a Due South Brewing Co. snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a full two finger head that retains decently as it makes its way down to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves a thick ring behind.

S- Initial skunk aroma soon leaves and what's left is an odd combination of barnyard funk, soapy yeast and smoke. Hopefully it's not as smoke-ridden as the other two Fantomes I've had because I'm decidedly not a fan of smoky saisons. A tinge of booze is detected.

T- OK, this tastes more like a saison than the other Fantomes I've had but there's still that underlying peat smoked malt flavor on top of the zesty fruitiness. After multiple sips, a balance is found between the two and the yeast kicks in a little funkiness to round things out. Spicy, bright and the alcohol is very well masked. Still, that smoke just continues to be pervasive and brings a medicinal note that I just don't enjoy.

M- Spritzy and moist with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- So this was very good. Not a mind-blowing saison but certainly unique in that Fantome smoke sort of way, only this was just a touch of smoke unlike the Hiver and Brise-BonBons which were both veritable smoke bombs. I've decided that, if I ever see Fantome on-tap anywhere (I know, probably won't ever happen), I'll buy again but the bottles are just way too hit-or-miss. (1,442 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From 750 mL bottle to Mikasa tulip glass

A: Copper-tan in color, a gentle pourforms a frothy 2-inch head that leaves patchy lacing all over the glass.

S: Various ripe fruit meets musty, horse-blanket right at the front of the nose. Spicy; coriander and nutmeg along with white pepper. There's a distinct, leathery note underpinning the aromas, as a touch of malty sweets escapes from an otherwise unique and powerful bouquet.

T: The leathery note in the nose is right up front - the entire palate is anchored by a leathery, tobacco-like note. The flavors bounce all over the place, with notes of orange rind, coriander spice and a good dose of yeasty, barnyard funk. Tones of pepper and booze dry the palate toward the finish, which is surprisingly short and clean. Farmhouse ale indeed.

M: The medium body provides a nice canvas for the varying flavors - ample carbonation keeps the palate clean between sips.

This is one of my favorite brews right now. Not a beginners Saison - way too funky - but once you get your palate wrapped around the crazy profile, this quaffs easily and disappears fast. (1,104 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

I would buy this again. I'm thankful for tasting nothing approaching Band-Aids™, as others have apparently had that exact unfortunate experience. I prefer generic adhesive bandages.

I usually am not capable of thinking through an ASTMO review, but Smurfy down there inspired me.

Looks like a Belgian White that has been bottle-conditioned and properly poured (swirl that Allagash White, people!). But this isn't a Belgian White/Wit. It's a Saison. That said, it's hazy, golden, and fun to look at if you hold it up to a setting August Cleveland sun. (Disclaimer: Drinking in Cleveland makes Cleveland look better, but so does a concussion.)

I agree with Smurfy. Grassy and wheaty in the nose. I cribbed his notes, but he ("he" is an assumption on my part) is dead-on. Subtle. Absolutely.

Hay and straw in the nose and on the tongue as well. Barnyard, but in a "summer on the farm" kinda way. Pleasant and enjoyable, with the nagging feeling of "at some point I'll have to leave this and go home, this makes me sad" kinda way.

Smoooth. Exactly what I wanted on a late-Sunday evening after a trip to the pool and playground with my 3-year-old. Maybe the whole bottle will make the eventual 53rd viewing of "Sleeping Beauty" more enjoyable.

This drank better and better, with increasing notes of yeast. I am assuming that this is bottle-conditioned, but I cannot check the web site to verify, as I do not speak French/German/Dutch/Belgish. Which, on a side-note, if in today's world of craft beer, your web site is not in English, I cannot imagine a more definitive example of how your beer is "artisanal". Don't change a thing.

Happily Drunk in Cleveland (1,661 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours hazy blond, well carbonated with a big fizzy head that leaves quickly.

Smell is grassy, wheat, subtle.

Taste is Belgium candy sugar and funk, hay, wheat, straw. It’s a lot like when you chew on spaghetti and it gets sweeter over time. Honey and a bit of hoppiness on the tail.

The easiest drinking I’ve ever come across. Fantastic. (347 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 750ml bottle into two Chimay goblets.

A - Deep, hazy gold pour with a finger's worth of creamy white foam.

S - Powerful right off the pour. A deeper breath brings hay and sour notes. A slight yeasty funk lingers in the background.

T - Straw with some bright lemon qualities. Slightly bitter (hops) but with a well rounded yeast flavor. Some alcohol warmth in the aftertaste.

M - Very light, refreshing carbonation.

A good session beer, but also great enough to have one to savor. A top saison. (511 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -75.4%

a - cloudy

s - rubber with a bit of bandaid

t - Burnt rubber and bandaids. Horrible. Could not finish the bottle and the flavor partially ruined my dinner

m - I was gagging

o - Buyer be warned that you have a good chance of getting a bad bottle. This is the worst beverage I have ever had. I understand this was a fluke but I have read enough reviews that have said the same. (380 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -71.9%

It had a lot of promise when poured - it was a beautiful golden color. However, it was an infected bottle - smelled and tasted like liquid band aids. I will gladly revise this review when/if I ever drink a new bottle. I won't be in a hurry, however, as it made me sick the next day. (282 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

There are millions of words I want to say about this beer, but sadly it has been years since the day I purchased and experienced this beer so my memory is not fresh enough to express the love and enjoyment I had when I drank it. The one thing I will never forget, aside from the knowledge that still to this day it is my favorite beer I have tried, is that is smelled and in a weird way, tasted like the best dank in the world. Maybe my particular bottle was unlike any other, but I had multiple people to confirm that it was in fact true. This is of course stretching the imagination because when experiencing any substance, to say it is the "best in the world" you are just imagining what that would be like. Whether that is your cup of tea or not, this beer will definitely be worth it's price and may never be dethroned as my favorite beer. (844 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a La Trappe goblet. Purchased in North Providence, RI.

A- Pours a cloudy honey-orange body with a generous gushing white fluffy head that sticks around for a while and leaves nice lacing. Some sediment.

S- Upon opening the bottle the first whiff I got was somewhat skunky, but that quickly disappeared once I poured it. Once poured I got ripe bananas, clove, belgian spice, some citrus, and a definite smokey aroma.

T- This is where this beer fell off a cliff. Upfront I get some fruity banana and grape notes, but this is quickly dominated by a sugary, honey-like, overly sweet taste. It's almost like it isn't mature enough and some sugar and unfermented malt is still present in the beer. There's a pretty nice smokey aftertaste, but I just can't get over the cloying sweetness of this beer

M- Overcarbonated. Nice light body though, and very little alcohol detected (I don't believe it's 8%)

Underimpressed with this beer, especially since it's ranked in the top 250. Maybe something was wrong with this batch? Either way not worth the money. (1,085 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Out of the bottle, it foams up a bit and spills a bit out, but not bad.

The beer pours out with tons of big bubbled foam and head in a deep hazy golden orange color.

The aroma is really interesting for a saison. It's quite sweet like candy, but there's tons of orange and lots and lots of spice. A bit of funk, but its spicy, corainder, grassy.

The flavor follows with that big peachy, berry, fruity sweetness. It's very caramel sweet for a saison. There's actually even a smokey note in there, which is strange to get in a saison, but just a hint. There's lots spice and grass on there. Also some bit of funkiness. It drinks a good amount easier than 8%, more like 6%. Lots of big carbonation.

It's still a refreshing beer, but extremely different and strange for a saison. The complexity is a huge plus, whereas the sweetness can be good or bad based on how sweet you want your saisons. (892 characters)

Enjoyed a bottle last week in celebration of my son's first birthday. Reviewed from my notes.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. Lots of dense white bubbly head; several fingers worth. The beer itself was a hazy orange hue, and over a few minutes the head settled to around a finger. Smell was earthy and funky with a spiciness about it like hay that's been baked in the sun all day; in fact there was much more of a smell in general than I expected. Got some of the same qualities in the taste with a little biscuity sweetness and a distinct peppery quality. Much more going on than I expected - this has a much more pronounced flavor than other saisons like Dupont. Deceiving for 8% as i didnt get any sort of booziness in the taste. Lots of carbonation in the mouth, which gave it a tingly quality that worked well with the pepperiness.

I enjoyed this beer and can understand its reputation as I found it to be very unique. Enjoyable, but I would have to be in the mood for it before I have it again. (1,012 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml cork n cap bottle into tulip.

Pops and gushes out of bottle, pours burnt orange with 3/4 of glass white head.

First whiff from bottle I thought it smelled skunky. Out of glass, smokey, lots of earthy tones, light sweet citrus

Very interesting beer, does still have some smoke in the taste with light peppercorn, sweet honey and light citrus.

Very tasty beer that's easy drinking and different from other saisons with the smoky characteristic. (453 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Hazy golden orange with a finger's worth of head. Good carbonation on this bottle.

S: Classic Farmhouse rustic with a lot of fruit on the nose. Getting apple juice and some hints of grape juice. A lot fruitier than I had anticipated, and that's good news.

T: Wow! Strong apple and grape juice flavor. It's like being a kid and having a juice box. Also getting some lingering bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: My bottle was particularly well-carbonated. Goes down smooth. can't taste the 8% at all. Very easy to drink.

O: Outstanding. Perfect for a warm day like today. So much fruitier than what I had thought it would be. Easily the best saison I've ever had. (667 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured out as a hazy orange golden color, the head is white and loaded with big bubbles. The retention is very strong, there isn't much lacing at all. The smell is slightly funky with some honey and grain sweetness in the mix, possible corn aroma on the nose and not much spice. The taste is a little on the smokey side at first, the more you drink the more sweet grain comes out with some subtle hints of spice. There is also some hints of fruit in there also. The mouthfeel of the beer is well carbonated and has a heavier body than expected. The beer is also kind of sticky. Overall it's a very unique, totally different than most Saison's out there. (653 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml capped and corked bottle into Torst stemware. 2013 vintage. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a .5 finger foamy white head with poor retention. Beer is a clear orange. Lacing is patchy and sparse with little cling. A bit below average for the style.

Nose is subtle and sweet. Some soapiness with a touch of yeast and a sprinkle of spiciness. Nice citrus aroma too. Well put together.

Opens citrus, yeast, and some spices. Soapy with a sweet hay and barnyard presence in the middle. More citrus. Yeasty sweet cobwebs and funk at the end. Finishes clean with a spicy, clove and peppery aftertaste. Real solid.

Light bodied with ample carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth and goes down aggressive and quenching. Accented finish with a slightly lingering, though mostly clean aftertaste. Very very drinkable overall and considering the ABV, really impressive.

They say that a good bottle of Fantome is quite the experience. If that's the case, this is just a decent bottle. That being said, its definitely one that I would revisit. Certainly better than any of the other offerings I've had from Fantome. (1,117 characters)

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme