1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme SaisonFantôme Saison

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,459 | Reviews: 778 | Show All Ratings:
Dope

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

Bottle states best before July 2013, lot "d"

A: Pours a clear amber with a small fizzy white head. Fades away at a moderate pace, leaving decent rings of lacing.

S: Smells like overripe peaches, apples and pears. Kinda smells like burning tires too, just a little bit. Not necessarily in a bad way, I love the smell of a dragstrip. A touch grassy too.

T: Very sour, tart, funky fruits up front. Similar to the aroma, pears and apples primarily. Maybe some rotting apples and apricot? Kind of has a bile-like taste for a moment. Wet, decaying grass. Aftertaste is interesting, kind of reminds me of key lime pie. Tart citrus and graham cracker.

M: Medium bodied, smooth.

O: Whoa. Super funky saison, which is pretty much what I was expecting. Tough one to rate. I was not a fan of the tart fruits up front, but I did enjoy the finish. Overall an interesting experiment but I doubt I've ever buy this again.

04-12-2013 01:32:56 | More by Dope
clayrock81

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured a dense, cloudy orange with ever present one finger head and lcae. A musty, floral like aroma with funk and sourness and tart citric as well as some fruit like pear (tropical fruit) and grapeskin. Light to medium body, semi-smooth as the carbonation gives it a mellow constant crispness. I don't know what astounds me more: the rather large amount of sweetness that is derived from tropical fruits and some sugary goodness or the fruit notes themselves - pear, tangerine, apple, grape. Oh, and the oakiness is great too for letting it pass the tongue w/o being too sweet. And yet the balance is just right as there is an almost puckering tartness waiting to get out like cherry and citric zip (specifically orange) w/ a small hop bite. Then it finishes with this real crisp sour kick that somehow also leaves a touch of sticky sweetness on my lips. This was worth the wait (4+ years in the 757) and a great beer to relax with.
NOTE: Orginally reviewed this on 12/4/11 - had again at Monk's in Philly and don't know how new or old bottle is, but most of tasting notes I read here match this "new review" 16 months later with one difference and I hope somone might know about this special trait both my wife and I picked up. Very tart, some sweet and tart fruits, yeast and funk aplenty, but here was the one kicker that is different and it made the balance more amazing and I enjoyed the beer even slightly better than before. I bring this up as I don't know if we had a bad bottle, an aged bottle, a brand new bottle and they have tweaked the recipe since they make it "from scratch" on a yearly basis, so I've heard, but there was a musty, even smokiness to this beer. As in for a second I thought I had a German smoked beer. This taste is tucked in the background and seemed to bring out the tart and sourness, and spices, that much more. Just had to bring it up - still an incredble beer that anyone should try.

04-05-2013 15:59:56 | More by clayrock81
chrisgalvin

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

If George Clinton was the funk master, then Fantome is the funk master of the beer world. Seriously, every time I have a bottle of this it is different. Huge amounts of funk meets a sour twist with some weird mouthfeel and hints of Fantome madness. Whatever you are doing, Mr. Fantome, keep it up because this stuff is good.

04-01-2013 04:37:19 | More by chrisgalvin
tectactoe

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Found this on the shelf in a store in Toledo... Hadn't seen one in Michigan anywhere so I jumped on it. Split with three others at a tasting. Pours a solid and cloudy, completely opaque and dull shade of yellow. Lots of chunky sediment particles float and swirl around the beer. The small white head, even after an aggressive pour, settles to a thin skin and ring at the edges of the beer. Pretty good looking as far as saisons go.

The aroma of Fantome Saison is simply unlike anything I've ever smelled before. So unique, different, weird, wonderful, and just an incredible combination of seemingly thousands of different things. Huge amounts of yeast; funk, cork, damp cellar, barnyard - welcome to funk town. Sublimely enough, the funk is met with an intangible sweetness; some kind of nebulous fruitiness that stands out. It smells exactly like strawberry Pez candy. Lots of grassy, herbal, and floral notes join in, along with some light lemon zest, orange peel, and a handful of spices and herbs that I couldn't even begin to put my finger on. So many different things blended in such a weird, albeit complementary way. It's different, and it works.

I take my first sip and my mouth is met with a flavor profile unlike anything else. I honestly don't even know where to begin or how to accurately describe this one. That mild, indecipherable fruity sweetness comes on right at the start. I wish I could put my finger on it, but I just can't. It follows that Pez aroma pretty closely, and tastes similarly, too. It provides a nice, light sweetness up front. Way before long, the yeast flavors start to take over - wet cork, damp celler, dare I say, horseblanket? More and more, that initial sweetness almost starts providing a light tartness - not enough to pucker, but enough to be noted.

There's a substantial hop character; slightly herbal and grassy with lots of random floral flavors popping in and out. It might be hard to pick out at first, simply due to the enormous number of things going on here. As the sweetness and fruit flavors fade out towards the end, the funk flavors become a little more prominent and other finishing flavors come out, too: mild oak, wet hay, and some warming alcohol. Despite its decrescendo, however, there still is a little bit of sweetness that lasts until the finish. Crispy mouth feel, carbonation like a mofo, leaving a super dry finish.

Fantome Saison is a wonderful display of creativity and individuality - a seemingly "it's just crazy enough to work" type combination of flavors and aromas. Traveling from sweet and mildly tart to funky and bone dry, for a super unique and refreshing saison. Everyone teased me for getting such a hard-on over this beer, but I don't care. I fucking loved it. And I don't care if nobody else does - bigger pours for me next time!

03-04-2013 02:41:22 | More by tectactoe
Akiloverbatim

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A few years ago, I heard Fantôme makes the bench mark for saisons... I can now attest to that. Best by on bottle July of 2013, multiple pours into a duvel tulip.

A: Gold like the hair of a cherub, with a thin eggshell head dissipating slowly. Then the yeast pour a bit more murky and brown like the hair on that dirty Matthew Mcconaughey fellow.

S: Green apples, fresh cut grass, brett. Delicious already.

T: Those tart apples were back, unripened peaches, citrus (lemon, pamplemousse) all backed with a lightly sweet malt and a pretty dry finish. The yeast pour all the same with a bit of the barn yard mixed in, still awesome.

M: Light and crisp with a drier finish. Nice bit of carb for a three year old bottle.

O: I would do this again and again. I will have to try a fresher bottle to make sure it's definitely worth the wait.

02-17-2013 17:01:45 | More by Akiloverbatim
jvillefan

3.41/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As a note, I lowered all categories by one point because the first bottle I opened was contaminated. It pour like chunky syrup and smelled very sulfury.

A: A hazy pale yellow with a minimal white lacy head.

S: Ester aromas are dominate here. There is not a whole lot else present.

T: A pleasant ester flavor with rich pale malts.

M: Rich mouthfeel with sharp carbonated bite to it.

O: Depite Saisons not being my favorite style of beer, this is one of the better beers I've had.

02-09-2013 15:21:55 | More by jvillefan
ColdPoncho

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After so long, it's hard to believe I've still never had this. 'Bout time. I've also heard this is a very smoky batch.

A - Very light yellow, makes me think of peaches for some reason, and very cloudy. It pours with a big white head which recedes to a heavy ring.

S - Very floral and fruity, a touch of funk, and mostly because I'm expecting it, I am able to detect hints of smoky wood.

T - A light sweet fruity thing on the front is followed and overtaken by a tart and earthy thing in the back. It's kinda boozy. I get a little bit of the smoke. Kind of a citrusy bitterness too

M - smooth and light, drying.

O - It seems possible that this is a weird batch, but I'm not getting very much of the smoke I've heard about. Overall, it's pretty good, seems like a good candidate for aging, though as it should probably back off the alcohol flavors a bit. This is good though, and I'll have to make an effort to try the various seasonal offerings as well.

02-05-2013 01:44:38 | More by ColdPoncho
pmarlowe

District of Columbia

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

400th review.

I don't see a best by date. Tulip glass.

A: Pours an opaque light golden color with a finger of white head. Excellent retention and some swaths of lace.

S: Smells gorgeous. Light toasted, sweet malt, a little pepper spice, and a touch of lemon, cherry, and floral notes. Great aromas and nice complexity.

T: Malty with some fruit (apple and pear), with a slight sour lemon, finishing slightly flabby. The tartness dominates the flavor, to the detriment of the beer.

M: Medium carbonation with some bite--crisp and effervescent like champagne--with a creamy mouthfeel and medium body.

O: Smells amazing but taste doesn't quite live up to it. Somehow I remember this tasting a lot better last time I had it. Something with the tartness being overwhelming.

01-17-2013 05:21:18 | More by pmarlowe
cfrances33

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle thanks to WhereTheWildBeersGo, poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Hazy bright orange, with two fingers of fluffy, sticky white head. Head leaves a little bit of lacing, and remains as a thick film.

Smell: Big tart lemon pith and pear skin up front. Some citrus and some green apples. A nice clean funk comes through. Maybe a slight doughyness.

Taste: Follows the nose with tart lemons and pear juice up front, and a sweet yeasty doughiness. Some light white pepper. Progresses into more sweet biscuits and finishes tart with citrus.

Mouthfeel: Great tartness, but a bit of a fuller, juicy body. Sweetness at depth and gives this beer a bigger body than I'd expect.

Overall: This beer doesn't disappoint, and is something I will regularly seek out.

12-26-2012 02:51:01 | More by cfrances33
Alieniloquium

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a De Struise chalice. Best by 1/2013. Just in time!

Appearance - Clear golden orange/yellow. Lots of chunks in the bottom of the bottle. Nice white head and some lacing.

Smell - Very fruity. Citrus and some cidery notes. Lots of sweet malts there too. Wine like finish to the nose.

Taste - Much more acidic, but equally fruity. Brett character is more intense, as is its acidity. Yeasty and sweet in the finish. Nice acidic white wine finish.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, acidic, well carbonated. Not too heavy. Feels light for its size. It is just barely too sweet, but acceptable.

Overall - This is a great beer. Wish this were more available to me. Complexity and flavor are all there. Not as funky as other saisons and pretty sweet, but it all seems to work together.

12-24-2012 05:22:51 | More by Alieniloquium
Gatch

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

"biere artisanale sur lie"
Lot n "a" & "c"
Best before end: "J 13"
I was a bit nervous picking this up because I knew it had been at the store for a long time and was exposed to artificial light all the time. Most likely temperature variations, as well, because it isn't the cleanest or newest store I've been to. But it turned out to be a great bottle.

A: Gorgeous, hazy, bright golden-orange with a massive head. Bright white, foamy, super fine bubbles. The layer of foam moves as one entity around the glass without leaving much lacing. Almost oily. The thick, pillowy head lingers forever. So awesome. Higher than a "5."

S: Explosion of wild yeast, fresh air, bright citrus, cedar, flowers, barn. I honestly picture a bucolic farm in the Belgian countryside when I smell this. So complex and so enticing. I can't take my nose away. As in the appearance, this is higher than a "5."

T: Oh my goodness. Everything in the nose but the citrus is much more pronounced. The yeast really shows itself. Very earthy, barny, fruity. Incredibly effervescent.

M: So damn smooth and so damn tasty. The carbonation is perfect. The finish is absurd! I really want to give this beer a perfect "5" but the yeast and finish can be a bit cloying as the beer warms.

O: It isn't fair comparing beers like this and Dupont's Saison to the American attempts at the style but all is fair in love and beer. The only two Saisons that can come close to this are anything from Dupont and Hill Farmstead. Everything else seems to be a Belgian IPA or while a "good" American Saison, it doesn't even come close. And I've had a lot of American-style Saisons. This is phenomenal, top-class stuff. I would drink this every day if I could. I will most certainly drink this on a summer day in Belgium one day soon.

12-24-2012 03:42:05 | More by Gatch
mick303

Ontario (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

750 mL bottle with freshness date into a wine glass yields a tight head of foam, pretty solid lacing and retention. Colour is an apricot gold, quite hazy, with solid carbonation.

Smell is an interesting bracing sourness first, yeast comes through, candy sugars. Malt is there in the background, light and subdued.

Taste is a slightly tart, yeasty and definitely wild start. The yeastiness is quite forward, with strong apple and fruity funky aspect. As it develops it has some fruity lychee sweetness, dryness (barn attic), and some more hop-forward bitterness. On the end it has some fruity sweetness, slight malt. Terrific complexity and flavour, that really grows on you. Great.

Mouthfeel has a high carbonation, it is moderatetely bodied. Very refreshing, the slight wild bracingness is balanced nicely. Very dry and drinkable. Alcohol is barely perceptible and drinks well.

This one was a bit of a surprise about what to expect. It is certainly a treat. Had this about a month before the bottle's best before, and was quite impressed with the dry complexity of flavours it packed together quite well. A bit more sour and wild than I anticipated, but I really enjoyed it.

12-18-2012 22:28:20 | More by mick303
weonfire

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Golden, hazy, huge white head, lots of streams of carbonation, patchy lacing, lasting head

S - Pepper, lemon, earthy, smoky, musty grass

T - Herbs, spices, smokey-peppry lemon grass

M - Thick, frothy, excellent carbontion, head retained throughout entire brew

O - Very very different from the last 'Saison' I had from Frantome. Unfortunately this is not as good. Not sure where all the smokiness came from. Missing all the light yeasty fruity flavors. Lots more earthy. Did like the pepper quite a bit. Mouth certainty has top notch quality. 8 ABV is hidden very well. I still look forward to my next Fantome beer. Sure your never positive what your going to get - yet, all still are very very good.

12-14-2012 20:52:41 | More by weonfire
kojevergas

8.00% ABV confirmed. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass bottle with a pressure cap sealed over an internally-housed cork served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, California for right around $15. Expectations are extremely high given this brewery's reputation as one of the master brewers of saisons.

Imported by the Shelton Bastards.

I pulled it from the fridge but it seemed far too cold to serve. I'm letting it warm up to an appropriate temperature for the style before serving. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

First, a note on presentation. Green bottles, really? This is a disappointment and the brewer should know better.

Yielded a satisfying pop when I removed the cork. No issues with liquid surging out or anything.

A: Pours a two finger white colour head - disappointingly thin - with no real cream. Retention is average (~2 minutes), which is forgivable given the ABV. Body colour is a dull orange muted orange. No yeast particles are visible - at least not this high up in the bottle. No bubble show. Nontransparent but non-opaque. It's not much to look at, to be honest, but it's appropriate for the style.

Sm: The aroma is more the quality I was expecting from such a highly regarded saison. Pale malts, rich evocative spices, muted floral hopping, bubblegum, indistinct bright fruit, apple, pear, grass, heavy fruit esters, some lemon citrus injection, berries, cilantro, orange, pepper, pineapple, hints of subtle barnyard funk, and lemongrass. There's more there, but admittedly my broken nose can't detect them - or maybe I'm just not refined enough. I do know that there's serious complexity and subtlety to this aroma, and it's rare for the style. I can't wait to give this a taste. I suppose if I had to pick one note, I'd say pear is dominant. A moderate strength aroma. Near perfect. The one flaw is that the berry does ring artificial; it could just be me but it doesn't feel as natural as I'd like. Also, the crystal malt is a bit overdone.

T: Fruit esters are the first thing I get. Lots of pear, some crisp apple, hints of berries. The spicing manifests more as it warms, with hints of pepper coming through, though nowhere near as much as I'd like. I like my saisons very peppery, and it's limited here. I get some lychee-like fruit but it doesn't destroy the balance - that's hard to accomplish. Hints of cilantro, maybe. Some orange and orange rind. Not as grassy as anticipated, but it certainly comprises a part of the body - which is itself built primarily with pale malts. Maybe some biscuit malt as well. Certainly crystal malt, though not as much as suggested by the aroma. Redolent even of watermelon on the climax. Heavy fruit skin throughout. I don't get any earthiness, which I consider a good thing. Maybe some herbal notes, but more in a cilantro or spice sense. Boy, do I wish it had more pepper. Is that...strawberry? Yes. In any case, it's certainly a refreshing flavour and has layers of complexity and subtlety that emerge more and more as it warms. I certainly like it. No alcohol comes through. Fleeting hints of a yeasty character are present, but I don't get any earthy or biscuity yeasty notes; I'm a bit let down in that regard. Residual sugar lingers on the finish; I feel I should brush my teeth after finishing with this one - but it's not too sweet. Maybe some buried candied fig; there's certainly a candied something but I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it candi sugar. Hopping is floral but seemingly minimal, with hops mainly chosen for their ability to accentuate fruity esters. An apt choice here.

Constructively: Not enough black pepper. Not enough spicing. A bit too much white lychee sweetness. I criticize, but I nitpick. This is, in large part, a masterfully brewed beer.

Mf: Smooth, wet. Just coarse enough to bring out the flavour more. A bit of tingly character from the crystal malt. Thickness is ideal. Carbonation is near perfect - maybe a bit overdone in anticipation of aging. Complements the flavour nicely. Crisp and yet soft - like biting into a good pear.

Dr: All around a very drinkable saison, and one I expect that would improve with age. I do want more pepper and spicing in my saisons, but this beer delivers on every other point. Certainly one of the most complex saisons I've ever had the delight to drink. This is a requisite drink for anyone seriously delving into the world of saisons. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the ABV - it's so well hidden that it's an afterthought. This could easily be 5% and I doubt I'd know the difference.

High B+

I'd love to try this aged, and could easily see it reaching an A- rating in my book after a year or two in a cellar.

Would pair well with fresh pear or a good green apple. Perhaps a salad would suit it well as well, but watch it with the acidic dressing.

12-10-2012 00:01:28 | More by kojevergas
nataku00

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle poured into a tulip, cork has code 086/477044 on it. I've had the bottle for about two years though. Beer pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a finger of off white soft head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving some light lacing until only a thin collar of bubbles remain. Tried to not disturb the yeast much but still a bit of sediment on the first pour. Decent number of tiny bubbles but not particularly effervescent.

Nose is heavy fruity ester, red apple, ripe pear, fresh grapes, with some lighter floral, grassy, biscuit malts, and a earthy funk. Smells very sweet, but light. As it warms, more of the brett funk really comes through, horse blanket and wet horse hair.

Taking a sip, heavy brett flavors, funky earthy, wet animal like funk, matched with sweet fruit esters, apple, pear and grape. Not much malt flavor as the funk continues through to the finish. Very drying, leaving the tongue almost scratchy, with lingering wet animal hair funk, grassy and floral flavors.

Light to medium body with a decent amount of fine carbonation. Really interesting beer that changes as it warmed in the glass. Initially more ester forward, then really brett heavy as it warmed.

12-01-2012 03:32:59 | More by nataku00
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from 750ml corked and capped bottle into Globe glass.

A. Pours 3 finger head. Color is hazy golden yellow. Good retention. Moderate lacing.

S. Belgian yeast, lemony citrus, spices, pale sweet malt. Smells like refreshing in a glass. Really nice lemony sweet smell. A little bit of funk but not much. Really good smelling saison. I like the sweeter than most touch.

T. Wow. Holy Crap! As someone who loves Saisons, this might be the best I have had. Big explosions of lemony citrus, spices, sweet malt, tartness on the back of the tongue. Lots of flavor. Probably the most flavor I have had in a Saison. Sweet upfront and tart sourness on the back.

M. Medium/light. Heavy carbonation. Finishes with some tartness, but drinks mostly sweet.

O. Delicous! This is a really good beer. Saisons are among my favorite styles. This one has so much flavor going on its rediculous, almost like two beers in one.

11-30-2012 01:12:13 | More by siradmiralnelson
MarioM

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A: Very nice dark yellow almost orange in color with lots of carbonation and a head that dissipated quickly with a constant flow of rising bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very clear considering the amount of yeast and critters on the bottom of the bottle.

S: Very aromatic, wow, this is an awesome smelling beer. Aroma kept hitting me while writing the description above. Lots of strange things going on... Fruity, good phenols, grassy hayness, citrus maybe, a light smokyness but very faint. This is easily one of the most tasty, interesting and complex beers I've smelled. Hard to pin point what I'm smelling but its damn interesting and I can't get enough. Its very strange but obviously in a good way. Slight plastic like but smooth and fruity, if that makes any sense. Can't wait to taste this puppy.

T: Very very nice tartness, fruity with a faint smokyness that is quite pleasant and not as upfront as the somokyness I've gotten in other bottles of Fantome, so I must have gotten an extra good bottle. I get some tangy citrus, lemon and earthier citrus characters of lemon grass. Also a tad sweet and a very nice phenolic smoothness that is very thirst quenching and refreshing when coupled with the tartness. Damn good f-ing beer! Really balanced and just good!

M: Not as carbonated as I was expecting but is very refreshing and easy to drink considering the 8% abv, can't notice it at all. Nice dry smoky finish that follows and lingers after the tartness resides. Very smooth and has a nice light body from the high attenuating yeast.

O: This has got to be one of the tastiest, most complex and satisfying beers I've had. My new favorite Saison, easy. Great balance of flavors with a great aroma and refreshing drinkability. Dany Prignon is an f-ing genious! I'm having this on my b-day and could not have had anything better. I recommend this to anyone curious about Fantome without worry or risk of getting a bad bottle. Great beer and one of my new favorites. A must have!

11-23-2012 03:24:18 | More by MarioM
zeledonia

3.85/5  rDev -10%

The long-running top-ranked beer in my favorite style. Recently supplanted by a HF one-off, but I'll probably never try that. So here we go! Best before end July 2013. Tasted 16 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a pale golden color. Not quite clear, like looking through frosted glass. A wide column of bubbles rising up. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Okay retention, not much lacing.

Smell is intriguing. Fruity and flowery. Quite flowery, as I continue to smell it. Lightly sweet, with a soft crispness. Funk is in the background, but rises up more with warmth. Just a bit of spice. I like it.

Taste is funkier and spicier, still with plenty of fruit. Balanced and interesting, but I want more from it. Drifts from sweet like a riesling to a dry bitter in the finish - a surprising transition.

Mouthfeel is top-notch. Medium-bodied, with a ballooning feeling that I always have a hard time describing - like it's expanding off my tongue to fill up my mouth. Tingly carbonation to start out, becomes more mellow as it goes.

Very nice beer. Not the best saison I've had, but definitely up there. In the balanced group for the style, with no element really standing out, though it's definitely a shade towards the fruity side.

11-18-2012 20:49:23 | More by zeledonia
tarheels86

4.15/5  rDev -3%

750mL. Pours a cloudy, beautiful neon light orange with a fizzy, two-finger, eggshell white head. Decent to little lacework. Aroma is complex: caramel, dulce de leche ice cream, pineapples, green apples, grains of paradise, white grapes, freshly squeezed kumquats. Taste is almost all tart kumquats, passionfruit, some prevalent fruity tartness. Very refreshing and light-bodied. Buttery, coating mouthfeel. Very good.

11-13-2012 21:51:35 | More by tarheels86
Rifugium

3.69/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the BAer who brought this to the Nov. '12 Philly 'burbs bottle share.
I also have a bottle in the fridge with an alternate label. (Actually, I think the one we tasted had the alternate label compared to the one pictured here.)

Original rating: 2.78

To sum this beer up with one phrase: Oh, you Belgians and your green bottles. This probably is a good beer, I don't know, thanks to Mr. GreenGlass. Hazy golden-yellow pour with a decent foamy white head that receded leaving a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma of grass and hay, a good hit of smoke, stale funk, and fruit skins. Tobacco was the dominant flavor in this beer, from the bottle we had anyway, grassy funk, old perfume and light spice, wheaty malts, bland aftertaste. Light-medium body, fairly dry. I sensed a good beer in there somewhere, but I couldn't tell for sure from the condition that it was in. Hopefully my bottle will yield something more palatable.

*** Revisited this one with the bottle in my fridge. MUCH better. Obviously there will be inconsistencies with a beer like this, but the bottle I had was significantly better, and I easily polished off the entire bomber myself. Aroma was fresher, lacked any smokiness. Taste was also much much better, fresher, grassier, no smoke or tobacco, vegetal notes, with a crisp clean aftertaste.

11-06-2012 08:38:26 | More by Rifugium
haazer

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Appropriate beer for Halloween.

A- A hard pour produces a large, tightly condensed bone colored head. It sits atop a beautiful golden glow of a beer. Light bubbles are illuminated in the color. The head retains about 3/4 inch the whole time. Big chunks of foam and lacing are left all over the glass. This looks frighteningly good.

S- Notes of apples, pears, orange peel, coriander, and some straw. There is a pale malt underneath, sort of bready. Smells naturally sweet. There is spice in this as well. Very comples nose, I can sniff this all night.

T- Flavor is green apple, some pear, and a bit of peach on the backend. There is a great smokiness in this that is not overbearing, but just enough to add another dimension. There is a dash of herbs thrown in to add a bit of spice, but never drying. Excellent Saison.

M- Light bodied with mid to high carbonation. Thirst quenching, drinks like water with amazing taste. No detection of alcohol at all. Would drink this on tap all night.

O- I think this may be my favorite Saison. Looks amazing, can smell it all night. It tastes great and drinks like a champ. I wonder if the smokiness comes from the bricks? Would love to visit this brewery, and would love to find this on tap somewhere and drink all night.

11-01-2012 01:45:01 | More by haazer
inlimbo77

Delaware

4.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml, 086/477044 on cork
Purchased in 2012
Lost Abbey tulip

A: Pours a really pretty hazy light yellow orange straw like color. Great pop on cork! Lots of carbonation. Two fingers of fluffy white. Lots of tiny bubbles coming from bottom.

S: Really impressive nose. Initially I get the spiciness. There is almost a slight smoke/campfire smell I am getting. Then it's fruitiness: citrus, mild strawberry, etc. Not getting all the American Saison like notes.

T: Lots of spiciness in the tip if the tongue. Again, I get that smoke that I smelled in flavor. It's interesting for the style. Not getting the barnyard I was expecting. In the mid palate, you get that grassy grainy hit that you'd expect. The close is certainly dry like a Saison. Some lingering smoke?

M: It's a light medium. The carbonation is very high.

10-30-2012 18:03:42 | More by inlimbo77
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Rutager for my first taste of Fantôme.

Poured from a 750ml. bottle and split with my wife.

Appearance: A huge frothy and whipped head with tight tiny bubbles. Lasts a long time atop a hazy light orange-peach body.

Smell: Citrus, hay, some tartness, zesty, refreshing.

Taste: More of the same with a hint of mint and misc. herbs as well as citrus (mostly subdued lemon) with plushy fruit, mild sour peaches?

Mouthfeel: Alive, carbonation is comfortable (medium-low) with a very low lying tartness.

Overall: Very drinkable, high on flavor and a joy to drink. Will try more from this brewery for sure.

10-21-2012 02:15:16 | More by papat444
eric5bellies

Australia

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Drank from my Ciney sniffer

A - Pours a nice cloudy straw colour with white head that retains well and laces. This beer says drink me !

S - Aromas of peach, boiled lollies and candy floss

T - up front some nice spicey malt with concentrated peach sugars that are very nice, the finish is spicey and sweet but not overpowering, the booze is well balanced out with the other flavours, it has an almost gauze like flavours on the finish.

M - Medium to full body with medium carbonation, the smoothness is impressive.

O - Really enjoyed this Saison and its the best I have had to date.

09-29-2012 20:14:44 | More by eric5bellies
zaphodchak

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Hazy blond body, thin white head and nice lace.

Trace of smoke in the smell along with some light blueberry and yeast character.

Some light berry notes, and a trace of smoke. Not lots of spice, but great flavor and interest.

Smooth, rich, but pretty bright.

A truly great saison, among the best I have ever tasted.

09-22-2012 19:39:53 | More by zaphodchak