Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 798 | Hads: 1,809
4.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Out of the bottle, it foams up a bit and spills a bit out, but not bad.

The beer pours out with tons of big bubbled foam and head in a deep hazy golden orange color.

The aroma is really interesting for a saison. It's quite sweet like candy, but there's tons of orange and lots and lots of spice. A bit of funk, but its spicy, corainder, grassy.

The flavor follows with that big peachy, berry, fruity sweetness. It's very caramel sweet for a saison. There's actually even a smokey note in there, which is strange to get in a saison, but just a hint. There's lots spice and grass on there. Also some bit of funkiness. It drinks a good amount easier than 8%, more like 6%. Lots of big carbonation.

It's still a refreshing beer, but extremely different and strange for a saison. The complexity is a huge plus, whereas the sweetness can be good or bad based on how sweet you want your saisons.

Enjoyed a bottle last week in celebration of my son's first birthday. Reviewed from my notes.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. Lots of dense white bubbly head; several fingers worth. The beer itself was a hazy orange hue, and over a few minutes the head settled to around a finger. Smell was earthy and funky with a spiciness about it like hay that's been baked in the sun all day; in fact there was much more of a smell in general than I expected. Got some of the same qualities in the taste with a little biscuity sweetness and a distinct peppery quality. Much more going on than I expected - this has a much more pronounced flavor than other saisons like Dupont. Deceiving for 8% as i didnt get any sort of booziness in the taste. Lots of carbonation in the mouth, which gave it a tingly quality that worked well with the pepperiness.

I enjoyed this beer and can understand its reputation as I found it to be very unique. Enjoyable, but I would have to be in the mood for it before I have it again.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml cork n cap bottle into tulip.

Pops and gushes out of bottle, pours burnt orange with 3/4 of glass white head.

First whiff from bottle I thought it smelled skunky. Out of glass, smokey, lots of earthy tones, light sweet citrus

Very interesting beer, does still have some smoke in the taste with light peppercorn, sweet honey and light citrus.

Very tasty beer that's easy drinking and different from other saisons with the smoky characteristic.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Hazy golden orange with a finger's worth of head. Good carbonation on this bottle.

S: Classic Farmhouse rustic with a lot of fruit on the nose. Getting apple juice and some hints of grape juice. A lot fruitier than I had anticipated, and that's good news.

T: Wow! Strong apple and grape juice flavor. It's like being a kid and having a juice box. Also getting some lingering bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: My bottle was particularly well-carbonated. Goes down smooth. can't taste the 8% at all. Very easy to drink.

O: Outstanding. Perfect for a warm day like today. So much fruitier than what I had thought it would be. Easily the best saison I've ever had.

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured out as a hazy orange golden color, the head is white and loaded with big bubbles. The retention is very strong, there isn't much lacing at all. The smell is slightly funky with some honey and grain sweetness in the mix, possible corn aroma on the nose and not much spice. The taste is a little on the smokey side at first, the more you drink the more sweet grain comes out with some subtle hints of spice. There is also some hints of fruit in there also. The mouthfeel of the beer is well carbonated and has a heavier body than expected. The beer is also kind of sticky. Overall it's a very unique, totally different than most Saison's out there.

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml capped and corked bottle into Torst stemware. 2013 vintage. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a .5 finger foamy white head with poor retention. Beer is a clear orange. Lacing is patchy and sparse with little cling. A bit below average for the style.

Nose is subtle and sweet. Some soapiness with a touch of yeast and a sprinkle of spiciness. Nice citrus aroma too. Well put together.

Opens citrus, yeast, and some spices. Soapy with a sweet hay and barnyard presence in the middle. More citrus. Yeasty sweet cobwebs and funk at the end. Finishes clean with a spicy, clove and peppery aftertaste. Real solid.

Light bodied with ample carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth and goes down aggressive and quenching. Accented finish with a slightly lingering, though mostly clean aftertaste. Very very drinkable overall and considering the ABV, really impressive.

They say that a good bottle of Fantome is quite the experience. If that's the case, this is just a decent bottle. That being said, its definitely one that I would revisit. Certainly better than any of the other offerings I've had from Fantome.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: into a tulip, measured pour from the un-capped and un-corked bottle produced a hazy medium gold beer with suspended particles and effervescing bubbles; few fingers of head was easy to achieve; not much lace, but a fuzzy cap persisted all the way through the drink

S: sweet and spicy malts and hops, bright yeasts - suggestions of both citric and orchard fruit, grassy fields and fresh grains

T: exemplary complexity - this is a brilliant beer: sweetnesses from the malts and probably whatever spices are used; funky Belgian yeastiness with floral and herbal hops - moments of pale caramel sweetness mingle with an array of spice and waves of hops and yeast

M: smooth, but with a fuzzy sparkle, medium body, medium carbonation, faint chew, drying finish

O: obviously a world-class beer. Stunning.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've had my fair share of Fantôme bottles over the year, so I know how difficult it is to capture the intangible essence of this beer. I've had this bottle for a few years, but have no idea how old it was when I purchased it from West Lakeview Liquors. Served in a taster glass at Adrial's place.

A - White foam settles to a collar, leaving behind minimal lacing. Slightly hazed pale golden body.

S - This bottle was particularly Pez-like, which is a flavor I've encountered often in the past. Some tropical fruit, a bit of funk, light grains, a hint of hand lotion, and perhaps a vague note of herbal hops and dandelion. There's a mildly aged quality to this bottle, but it's still well on the good side of things.

T - Taste is a tad sweeter, with more Pez candy and honey-kissed grains. Sweet tropical and stone fruits, nebulous floral notes, with a bit of spicy yeast mixed in. No alcohol at all, although I've never been convinced all these beers are precisely 8%.

M - Medium in body, and initially dry but with a bit of lingering stickiness in the finish. Soft, lower carbonation, and a surprising hint of alcohol warming late.

D - This was a good bottle, and it's in the top five or so regular Fantômes I've had. If I could reliably count on bottles tasting like this one I'd buy this beer more often. A very good example of a Belgian farmhouse ale, with that inexplicable Dany twist to it. We had no problem finishing this one.

1.95/5  rDev -54.7%

Poured from a corked bottle with the new label into an Allagash 40cl glass.

A- Nice golden straw color with a bit of haziness and a little less than a finger of head.

S- I smell the funkiness coming through. A barnyard with a few bright citrusy notes slightly coming through.

T- I sampled this with my wife without reading any reviews and she isn't much of a beer drinker and couldn't pinpoint the horrible flavor. After a few sips I could pinpoint the taste to liquid bandaids. It was like a lightbulb went off in my wife's head and she totally agreed with me for once. After checking other reviews I see that other people feel the same way. Its sad to say that I know what a bandaid tastes like because I have chewed my fair share and if I were to make a bandaid inspired beer this would be it.

M- Normal carbonation and a slight slimyness

O- Still not as bad as some beers that I have had. I was still able to finish the bottle. I guess I ate too many bandaids as a kid. If you want to relive your childhood then this is for you.

4.11/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750mL from Corvallis Brewing & Supply. Best by July 2013 bottle date.

A: Pours with a noticeable fizz and a corresponding dearth of head a few moments after settling. Hazy golden straw color with thousands of bubbles rising to escape.

N: Can smell the malt and funk from 3 feet away. Lots of lemon zest and some light sugar. There's a grain and wood about this, and I also get some green peppercorn, straw, and horse stable. Maybe some rosemary or sage?

T: Moderate sourness and lots of dough. Has an appreciable tartness of apples and cider with some funk from the fermentation.

M: Light and crisp. Carbonation is prickly without being biting.

O: Beyond expectations as usual. It's all over the place while still being enjoyable to drink. Some of these bottles are ticking time bombs, this one was excellent. I should've bought more when I saw them.

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage...

A: Pours a nice cloudy straw yellow with a huge amount of pure white head that takes forever to settle. A rocky layer of bubbles lines the beer, and there is really good lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is light malt, spice, bitters, and yeast. It smells inviting with citrus and grains.

T: It starts off with a light sweetness and grass. As it moves to the middle the bitters begin to shine as it mixes with some yeast and spice. I get lemon, grass, and yeast. The finish is spicy and drying with lingering bitters.

M: Medium bodied beer. It’s refreshing to start as the beer coats the palate. It’s bright, but yeasty and a touch stinging in the middle. The finish is spice and yeast.

O: Very nice saison. I quite enjoyed this one. I’d love to drink this again.

1.31/5  rDev -69.5%

Oh my gosh, I did not like the taste at all! Wow, this bottle I had must've been a really bad one... I guess I'm getting what people describe it as "band aid" smell and taste. Wow! I can't believe I spent $14 on this bottle and I have another unopened bottle waiting to be drain poured!

All in all, it looked great, but the rest was just bad. I am really disappointed. Saison Rue disappointed me and this saison disappointed me even more!

Hoping to pay this another visit later on.

3.82/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Relating with a new bottle, corked and capped from Tipples. This is the rating that the score reflects. Pours slightly hazy yellow with a big fluffy white head. Musty funky yeast aroma, hay, light grassy hop, sweet fruits like apples. Flavor follows with light hay and grass, a little pilsner like malt, some apple fruit and lemon peel, funky yeast, and some wheat on the finish. There is an interesting flavor in here that I can’t identify any more than some vague spice. Light bodied with medium to high carbonation z much better than the last bottle and very different from anything else I have had but a nice changeup for the spring and summer weather.

Old rate: Poured from bottle into a tulip. Hazy orange color with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is bandaids and more bandaids. Am I at the doctor’s office? Flavor is more bandaid funk with some hints of fruit and spice. God this is effing awful. Light mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. I hope this is a bad bottle, otherwise I have lost all faith in ratings...

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden orange with a thick white head with medium retention. Smells peppery with notes of citrus peel and an earthy mineral character. Taste is citrus and stone fruits with peppery yeast phenolics and a touch of funk and a firm acidity. Lively carbonation and medium body. When Fantome bottles are good they are fantastic. This is a phenomenal saison.

4.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle poured into teku - 2010 bottle - thanks gillian!

Pours a slightly hazed golden color with some straw yellow tones. Thicker froth of white head bubbles up, fading out fairly quickly into a layer of retained film. Spotty lacing dots the glass while sipping.

A pleasant mixture of saison-like scents with funky Belgian yeast, lemon peel, spritzy tartness and citrus. Wet hay and straw, toasted grain with citrus juice.

Yeasty and funky on the tongue up front with lemon peel and cracked pepper. Snap of tartness with bretty funk, straw and grain. Belgian yeast is prevalent throughout the profile, which remains tart (not sour). Refreshing and invigorating while drinking, topping off with some lingering spice and dryness.

Medium body, higher carbonation level, bubbly and dry on the tongue. I've always loved Fantome, and consistently recommend it to people looking for new saisons or Belgian ales to experiment with. This one was a winner, but I still wish bottle variation wasn't such an issue with them.

1.55/5  rDev -64%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

2012 bottle. Have had this on four occasions, and is completely different every time.

A: Poured a transparent pale red; almost pink. No head or lacing to speak of.

S: Very medicinal. Strong aromas of band-aids and plastic blend with unrefined floral scents. Hint of smoke.

T: Baby diapers, band-aids, plastic, robitussin and forest floor rot. Really intense.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: This bottle of Fantome Saison was undrinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Purchased a bottle from Local Option in Chicago. Poured into a chalice.

A - Beautiful orangish, golden color. Shines when held up to the sun. About one finger of funky off white head

S - Tart lemon, acid, yeast, barnyard funk

T - There is a sour lemon tart taste up front, but not super-sour. Other fruit flavors come to mind as well (banana, orange, grapefruit). The finish is slightly funky and almost smokey, in a good way. Very interesting and complex. Each sip reminds me of something different.

M - Fine champagne like bubbles move the flavors around nicely. Each sip makes you salivate for more.

O - I know that a lot of people have gotten bad bottles of this, but the bottle I had was near perfect. This is my favorite saison to date. I was surprised by the 8% abv as well, as this drinks like a smaller beer than it is. Delicious and refreshing - highly recommended.

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- fizzy off-white colored head is loud and active but settles slowly to a thin disk. It's not a lace monster but some spots linger here and there. The body is a beautiful murky orange-apricot color with lemon highlights.

S- intense phenolic aroma of bubblegum, banana, band-aid, orange, grape, pear, melon, honey and some barnyard funk. It's difficult to believe how fruity this beer smells. Notes of white lilies and champagne also come to mind along with some peachy plum cherry berry tartness. Somewhere behind all that goodness is sturdy lightly toasted malt.

T- damn that's intense. Band-aid almost smoky yeast hits first, fuming up through the sinuses. Plenty of funk and barnyard flavors go right along with it. I can't even begin to discern what spices this has been brewed with. It's like nothing I've ever tasted. Extreme fruitiness makes me assume that fruit or juice has been added but I can't tell what it is. It's slightly tart like apricot or plum and almost red like bing cherries and strawberries. There's also an orange citrus quality and tropical guava character. I just can't quite put my finger on it. Whatever it is, it's insane. Malt flavors are pretty much left in the dirt until the finish where it's earthy presence is a welcome contrast to the fruit. Hop bitterness is very mild.

***edit*** just read another review that suggested levender and I'll be damned if it ain't lavender!! Now that floral sweetness is nearly unmistakable. I'd put money on it.

MF- exceptionally juicy bodied, it has the consistency of orange juice. Delicate carbonation perfectly fits this juicy feel and scrubs away the fructose but leaves the lips sticky. There's also a pleasant dryness.

D- I've been looking for this saison for quite some time. It's juicy and fruity and refreshing and quite thirst quenching despite sitting by the 8% fire. Gotta thank my boy Bret for picking this one up for me it definitely did not disappoint.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1.5 years old-ish
the beer pours a cloudy golden yellow with no head. the nose is wheaty, honey, sweet, slight white grape, metallic, and funky. the taste is definitely a delicious saison with a touch of honey and pear, no bitterness. the mouthfeel is light, drinkable, elegant, well carbonated, and has a lingering graininess. this is damn worth trying and gives any saison a run for its money.

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a Bell's tulip. The pour is cloudy and hazy, gold in color, and sports a nice fluffy white head that leaves drifts of lacing. On the nose I get a faint lemon-like citrus note, lavender, and a definite brett-like funkiness.

The beer is light bodied and has a very soft feel in the mouth. The flavor is slightly fruity, dry but not sweet, and has lots of floral spiciness and a refreshing tartness as well. No trace of alcohol in this one. White crackers, lemons, and a stony dryness carry through the finish. At mid-palate there is a brett-induced signature band-aid flavor that I find just a bit unpleasant and there is also a slightly metallic, quinine-like, not unpleasant bitterness that lingers a bit as well. Easy to drink and very refreshing. Almost pilsner-like, but with much more complexity.

A nice beer, but that band-aid flavor kind of spoils it a bit for me. I don't have a lot of experience with this style and am currently exploring it more. I may or may not return to this one as I have already found others I like more.

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Bottle states best before July 2013, lot "d"

A: Pours a clear amber with a small fizzy white head. Fades away at a moderate pace, leaving decent rings of lacing.

S: Smells like overripe peaches, apples and pears. Kinda smells like burning tires too, just a little bit. Not necessarily in a bad way, I love the smell of a dragstrip. A touch grassy too.

T: Very sour, tart, funky fruits up front. Similar to the aroma, pears and apples primarily. Maybe some rotting apples and apricot? Kind of has a bile-like taste for a moment. Wet, decaying grass. Aftertaste is interesting, kind of reminds me of key lime pie. Tart citrus and graham cracker.

M: Medium bodied, smooth.

O: Whoa. Super funky saison, which is pretty much what I was expecting. Tough one to rate. I was not a fan of the tart fruits up front, but I did enjoy the finish. Overall an interesting experiment but I doubt I've ever buy this again.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured a dense, cloudy orange with ever present one finger head and lcae. A musty, floral like aroma with funk and sourness and tart citric as well as some fruit like pear (tropical fruit) and grapeskin. Light to medium body, semi-smooth as the carbonation gives it a mellow constant crispness. I don't know what astounds me more: the rather large amount of sweetness that is derived from tropical fruits and some sugary goodness or the fruit notes themselves - pear, tangerine, apple, grape. Oh, and the oakiness is great too for letting it pass the tongue w/o being too sweet. And yet the balance is just right as there is an almost puckering tartness waiting to get out like cherry and citric zip (specifically orange) w/ a small hop bite. Then it finishes with this real crisp sour kick that somehow also leaves a touch of sticky sweetness on my lips. This was worth the wait (4+ years in the 757) and a great beer to relax with.
NOTE: Orginally reviewed this on 12/4/11 - had again at Monk's in Philly and don't know how new or old bottle is, but most of tasting notes I read here match this "new review" 16 months later with one difference and I hope somone might know about this special trait both my wife and I picked up. Very tart, some sweet and tart fruits, yeast and funk aplenty, but here was the one kicker that is different and it made the balance more amazing and I enjoyed the beer even slightly better than before. I bring this up as I don't know if we had a bad bottle, an aged bottle, a brand new bottle and they have tweaked the recipe since they make it "from scratch" on a yearly basis, so I've heard, but there was a musty, even smokiness to this beer. As in for a second I thought I had a German smoked beer. This taste is tucked in the background and seemed to bring out the tart and sourness, and spices, that much more. Just had to bring it up - still an incredble beer that anyone should try.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

If George Clinton was the funk master, then Fantome is the funk master of the beer world. Seriously, every time I have a bottle of this it is different. Huge amounts of funk meets a sour twist with some weird mouthfeel and hints of Fantome madness. Whatever you are doing, Mr. Fantome, keep it up because this stuff is good.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

750ml bottle. Split with three others at a tasting. Pours a solid and cloudy, completely opaque and dull shade of yellow. Lots of chunky sediment particles float and swirl around the beer. The small white head, even after an aggressive pour, settles to a thin skin and ring at the edges of the beer. Pretty good looking as far as saisons go.

The aroma of Fantome Saison is simply unlike anything I've ever smelled before. So unique, different, weird, wonderful, and just an incredible combination of seemingly thousands of different things. Huge amounts of yeast; funk, cork, damp cellar, barnyard - welcome to funk town. Sublimely enough, the funk is met with an intangible sweetness; some kind of nebulous fruitiness that stands out. It smells exactly like strawberry Pez candy. Lots of grassy, herbal, and floral notes join in, along with some light lemon zest, orange peel, and a handful of spices and herbs that I couldn't even begin to put my finger on. So many different things blended in such a weird, albeit complementary way. It's different, and it works.

I take my first sip and my mouth is met with a flavor profile unlike anything else. I honestly don't even know where to begin or how to accurately describe this one. That mild, indecipherable fruity sweetness comes on right at the start. I wish I could put my finger on it, but I just can't. It follows that Pez aroma pretty closely, and tastes similarly, too. It provides a nice, light sweetness up front. Way before long, the yeast flavors start to take over - wet cork, damp celler, dare I say, horseblanket? More and more, that initial sweetness almost starts providing a light tartness - not enough to pucker, but enough to be noted.

There's a substantial hop character; slightly herbal and grassy with lots of random floral flavors popping in and out. It might be hard to pick out at first, simply due to the enormous number of things going on here. As the sweetness and fruit flavors fade out towards the end, the funk flavors become a little more prominent and other finishing flavors come out, too: mild oak, wet hay, and some warming alcohol. Despite its decrescendo, however, there still is a little bit of sweetness that lasts until the finish. Crispy mouth feel, carbonation like a mofo, leaving a super dry finish.

Fantome Saison is a wonderful display of creativity and individuality - a seemingly "it's just crazy enough to work" type combination of flavors and aromas. Traveling from sweet and mildly tart to funky and bone dry, for a super unique and refreshing saison. Everyone teased me for getting such a hard-on over this beer, but I don't care. I fucking loved it. And I don't care if nobody else does - bigger pours for me next time!

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A few years ago, I heard Fantôme makes the bench mark for saisons... I can now attest to that. Best by on bottle July of 2013, multiple pours into a duvel tulip.

A: Gold like the hair of a cherub, with a thin eggshell head dissipating slowly. Then the yeast pour a bit more murky and brown like the hair on that dirty Matthew Mcconaughey fellow.

S: Green apples, fresh cut grass, brett. Delicious already.

T: Those tart apples were back, unripened peaches, citrus (lemon, pamplemousse) all backed with a lightly sweet malt and a pretty dry finish. The yeast pour all the same with a bit of the barn yard mixed in, still awesome.

M: Light and crisp with a drier finish. Nice bit of carb for a three year old bottle.

O: I would do this again and again. I will have to try a fresher bottle to make sure it's definitely worth the wait.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme