Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle poured into a tulip, cork has code 086/477044 on it. I've had the bottle for about two years though. Beer pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a finger of off white soft head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving some light lacing until only a thin collar of bubbles remain. Tried to not disturb the yeast much but still a bit of sediment on the first pour. Decent number of tiny bubbles but not particularly effervescent.

Nose is heavy fruity ester, red apple, ripe pear, fresh grapes, with some lighter floral, grassy, biscuit malts, and a earthy funk. Smells very sweet, but light. As it warms, more of the brett funk really comes through, horse blanket and wet horse hair.

Taking a sip, heavy brett flavors, funky earthy, wet animal like funk, matched with sweet fruit esters, apple, pear and grape. Not much malt flavor as the funk continues through to the finish. Very drying, leaving the tongue almost scratchy, with lingering wet animal hair funk, grassy and floral flavors.

Light to medium body with a decent amount of fine carbonation. Really interesting beer that changes as it warmed in the glass. Initially more ester forward, then really brett heavy as it warmed.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from 750ml corked and capped bottle into Globe glass.

A. Pours 3 finger head. Color is hazy golden yellow. Good retention. Moderate lacing.

S. Belgian yeast, lemony citrus, spices, pale sweet malt. Smells like refreshing in a glass. Really nice lemony sweet smell. A little bit of funk but not much. Really good smelling saison. I like the sweeter than most touch.

T. Wow. Holy Crap! As someone who loves Saisons, this might be the best I have had. Big explosions of lemony citrus, spices, sweet malt, tartness on the back of the tongue. Lots of flavor. Probably the most flavor I have had in a Saison. Sweet upfront and tart sourness on the back.

M. Medium/light. Heavy carbonation. Finishes with some tartness, but drinks mostly sweet.

O. Delicous! This is a really good beer. Saisons are among my favorite styles. This one has so much flavor going on its rediculous, almost like two beers in one.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A: Very nice dark yellow almost orange in color with lots of carbonation and a head that dissipated quickly with a constant flow of rising bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very clear considering the amount of yeast and critters on the bottom of the bottle.

S: Very aromatic, wow, this is an awesome smelling beer. Aroma kept hitting me while writing the description above. Lots of strange things going on... Fruity, good phenols, grassy hayness, citrus maybe, a light smokyness but very faint. This is easily one of the most tasty, interesting and complex beers I've smelled. Hard to pin point what I'm smelling but its damn interesting and I can't get enough. Its very strange but obviously in a good way. Slight plastic like but smooth and fruity, if that makes any sense. Can't wait to taste this puppy.

T: Very very nice tartness, fruity with a faint smokyness that is quite pleasant and not as upfront as the somokyness I've gotten in other bottles of Fantome, so I must have gotten an extra good bottle. I get some tangy citrus, lemon and earthier citrus characters of lemon grass. Also a tad sweet and a very nice phenolic smoothness that is very thirst quenching and refreshing when coupled with the tartness. Damn good f-ing beer! Really balanced and just good!

M: Not as carbonated as I was expecting but is very refreshing and easy to drink considering the 8% abv, can't notice it at all. Nice dry smoky finish that follows and lingers after the tartness resides. Very smooth and has a nice light body from the high attenuating yeast.

O: This has got to be one of the tastiest, most complex and satisfying beers I've had. My new favorite Saison, easy. Great balance of flavors with a great aroma and refreshing drinkability. Dany Prignon is an f-ing genious! I'm having this on my b-day and could not have had anything better. I recommend this to anyone curious about Fantome without worry or risk of getting a bad bottle. Great beer and one of my new favorites. A must have!

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

The long-running top-ranked beer in my favorite style. Recently supplanted by a HF one-off, but I'll probably never try that. So here we go! Best before end July 2013. Tasted 16 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a pale golden color. Not quite clear, like looking through frosted glass. A wide column of bubbles rising up. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Okay retention, not much lacing.

Smell is intriguing. Fruity and flowery. Quite flowery, as I continue to smell it. Lightly sweet, with a soft crispness. Funk is in the background, but rises up more with warmth. Just a bit of spice. I like it.

Taste is funkier and spicier, still with plenty of fruit. Balanced and interesting, but I want more from it. Drifts from sweet like a riesling to a dry bitter in the finish - a surprising transition.

Mouthfeel is top-notch. Medium-bodied, with a ballooning feeling that I always have a hard time describing - like it's expanding off my tongue to fill up my mouth. Tingly carbonation to start out, becomes more mellow as it goes.

Very nice beer. Not the best saison I've had, but definitely up there. In the balanced group for the style, with no element really standing out, though it's definitely a shade towards the fruity side.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

750mL. Pours a cloudy, beautiful neon light orange with a fizzy, two-finger, eggshell white head. Decent to little lacework. Aroma is complex: caramel, dulce de leche ice cream, pineapples, green apples, grains of paradise, white grapes, freshly squeezed kumquats. Taste is almost all tart kumquats, passionfruit, some prevalent fruity tartness. Very refreshing and light-bodied. Buttery, coating mouthfeel. Very good.

3.68/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the BAer who brought this to the Nov. '12 Philly 'burbs bottle share.
I also have a bottle in the fridge with an alternate label. (Actually, I think the one we tasted had the alternate label compared to the one pictured here.)

Original rating: 2.78

To sum this beer up with one phrase: Oh, you Belgians and your green bottles. This probably is a good beer, I don't know, thanks to Mr. GreenGlass. Hazy golden-yellow pour with a decent foamy white head that receded leaving a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma of grass and hay, a good hit of smoke, stale funk, and fruit skins. Tobacco was the dominant flavor in this beer, from the bottle we had anyway, grassy funk, old perfume and light spice, wheaty malts, bland aftertaste. Light-medium body, fairly dry. I sensed a good beer in there somewhere, but I couldn't tell for sure from the condition that it was in. Hopefully my bottle will yield something more palatable.

*** Revisited this one with the bottle in my fridge. MUCH better. Obviously there will be inconsistencies with a beer like this, but the bottle I had was significantly better, and I easily polished off the entire bomber myself. Aroma was fresher, lacked any smokiness. Taste was also much much better, fresher, grassier, no smoke or tobacco, vegetal notes, with a crisp clean aftertaste.

1.5/5  rDev -65%

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Appropriate beer for Halloween.

A- A hard pour produces a large, tightly condensed bone colored head. It sits atop a beautiful golden glow of a beer. Light bubbles are illuminated in the color. The head retains about 3/4 inch the whole time. Big chunks of foam and lacing are left all over the glass. This looks frighteningly good.

S- Notes of apples, pears, orange peel, coriander, and some straw. There is a pale malt underneath, sort of bready. Smells naturally sweet. There is spice in this as well. Very comples nose, I can sniff this all night.

T- Flavor is green apple, some pear, and a bit of peach on the backend. There is a great smokiness in this that is not overbearing, but just enough to add another dimension. There is a dash of herbs thrown in to add a bit of spice, but never drying. Excellent Saison.

M- Light bodied with mid to high carbonation. Thirst quenching, drinks like water with amazing taste. No detection of alcohol at all. Would drink this on tap all night.

O- I think this may be my favorite Saison. Looks amazing, can smell it all night. It tastes great and drinks like a champ. I wonder if the smokiness comes from the bricks? Would love to visit this brewery, and would love to find this on tap somewhere and drink all night.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml, 086/477044 on cork
Purchased in 2012
Lost Abbey tulip

A: Pours a really pretty hazy light yellow orange straw like color. Great pop on cork! Lots of carbonation. Two fingers of fluffy white. Lots of tiny bubbles coming from bottom.

S: Really impressive nose. Initially I get the spiciness. There is almost a slight smoke/campfire smell I am getting. Then it's fruitiness: citrus, mild strawberry, etc. Not getting all the American Saison like notes.

T: Lots of spiciness in the tip if the tongue. Again, I get that smoke that I smelled in flavor. It's interesting for the style. Not getting the barnyard I was expecting. In the mid palate, you get that grassy grainy hit that you'd expect. The close is certainly dry like a Saison. Some lingering smoke?

M: It's a light medium. The carbonation is very high.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Rutager for my first taste of Fantôme.

Poured from a 750ml. bottle and split with my wife.

Appearance: A huge frothy and whipped head with tight tiny bubbles. Lasts a long time atop a hazy light orange-peach body.

Smell: Citrus, hay, some tartness, zesty, refreshing.

Taste: More of the same with a hint of mint and misc. herbs as well as citrus (mostly subdued lemon) with plushy fruit, mild sour peaches?

Mouthfeel: Alive, carbonation is comfortable (medium-low) with a very low lying tartness.

Overall: Very drinkable, high on flavor and a joy to drink. Will try more from this brewery for sure.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%