Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle thanks to WhereTheWildBeersGo, poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Hazy bright orange, with two fingers of fluffy, sticky white head. Head leaves a little bit of lacing, and remains as a thick film.

Smell: Big tart lemon pith and pear skin up front. Some citrus and some green apples. A nice clean funk comes through. Maybe a slight doughyness.

Taste: Follows the nose with tart lemons and pear juice up front, and a sweet yeasty doughiness. Some light white pepper. Progresses into more sweet biscuits and finishes tart with citrus.

Mouthfeel: Great tartness, but a bit of a fuller, juicy body. Sweetness at depth and gives this beer a bigger body than I'd expect.

Overall: This beer doesn't disappoint, and is something I will regularly seek out.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a De Struise chalice. Best by 1/2013. Just in time!

Appearance - Clear golden orange/yellow. Lots of chunks in the bottom of the bottle. Nice white head and some lacing.

Smell - Very fruity. Citrus and some cidery notes. Lots of sweet malts there too. Wine like finish to the nose.

Taste - Much more acidic, but equally fruity. Brett character is more intense, as is its acidity. Yeasty and sweet in the finish. Nice acidic white wine finish.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, acidic, well carbonated. Not too heavy. Feels light for its size. It is just barely too sweet, but acceptable.

Overall - This is a great beer. Wish this were more available to me. Complexity and flavor are all there. Not as funky as other saisons and pretty sweet, but it all seems to work together.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

"biere artisanale sur lie"
Lot n "a" & "c"
Best before end: "J 13"
I was a bit nervous picking this up because I knew it had been at the store for a long time and was exposed to artificial light all the time. Most likely temperature variations, as well, because it isn't the cleanest or newest store I've been to. But it turned out to be a great bottle.

A: Gorgeous, hazy, bright golden-orange with a massive head. Bright white, foamy, super fine bubbles. The layer of foam moves as one entity around the glass without leaving much lacing. Almost oily. The thick, pillowy head lingers forever. So awesome. Higher than a "5."

S: Explosion of wild yeast, fresh air, bright citrus, cedar, flowers, barn. I honestly picture a bucolic farm in the Belgian countryside when I smell this. So complex and so enticing. I can't take my nose away. As in the appearance, this is higher than a "5."

T: Oh my goodness. Everything in the nose but the citrus is much more pronounced. The yeast really shows itself. Very earthy, barny, fruity. Incredibly effervescent.

M: So damn smooth and so damn tasty. The carbonation is perfect. The finish is absurd! I really want to give this beer a perfect "5" but the yeast and finish can be a bit cloying as the beer warms.

O: It isn't fair comparing beers like this and Dupont's Saison to the American attempts at the style but all is fair in love and beer. The only two Saisons that can come close to this are anything from Dupont and Hill Farmstead. Everything else seems to be a Belgian IPA or while a "good" American Saison, it doesn't even come close. And I've had a lot of American-style Saisons. This is phenomenal, top-class stuff. I would drink this every day if I could. I will most certainly drink this on a summer day in Belgium one day soon.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

750 mL bottle with freshness date into a wine glass yields a tight head of foam, pretty solid lacing and retention. Colour is an apricot gold, quite hazy, with solid carbonation.

Smell is an interesting bracing sourness first, yeast comes through, candy sugars. Malt is there in the background, light and subdued.

Taste is a slightly tart, yeasty and definitely wild start. The yeastiness is quite forward, with strong apple and fruity funky aspect. As it develops it has some fruity lychee sweetness, dryness (barn attic), and some more hop-forward bitterness. On the end it has some fruity sweetness, slight malt. Terrific complexity and flavour, that really grows on you. Great.

Mouthfeel has a high carbonation, it is moderatetely bodied. Very refreshing, the slight wild bracingness is balanced nicely. Very dry and drinkable. Alcohol is barely perceptible and drinks well.

This one was a bit of a surprise about what to expect. It is certainly a treat. Had this about a month before the bottle's best before, and was quite impressed with the dry complexity of flavours it packed together quite well. A bit more sour and wild than I anticipated, but I really enjoyed it.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Golden, hazy, huge white head, lots of streams of carbonation, patchy lacing, lasting head

S - Pepper, lemon, earthy, smoky, musty grass

T - Herbs, spices, smokey-peppry lemon grass

M - Thick, frothy, excellent carbontion, head retained throughout entire brew

O - Very very different from the last 'Saison' I had from Frantome. Unfortunately this is not as good. Not sure where all the smokiness came from. Missing all the light yeasty fruity flavors. Lots more earthy. Did like the pepper quite a bit. Mouth certainty has top notch quality. 8 ABV is hidden very well. I still look forward to my next Fantome beer. Sure your never positive what your going to get - yet, all still are very very good.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

8.00% ABV confirmed. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass bottle with a pressure cap sealed over an internally-housed cork served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, California for right around $15. Expectations are extremely high given this brewery's reputation as one of the master brewers of saisons.

Imported by the Shelton Bastards.

I pulled it from the fridge but it seemed far too cold to serve. I'm letting it warm up to an appropriate temperature for the style before serving. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

First, a note on presentation. Green bottles, really? This is a disappointment and the brewer should know better.

Yielded a satisfying pop when I removed the cork. No issues with liquid surging out or anything.

A: Pours a two finger white colour head - disappointingly thin - with no real cream. Retention is average (~2 minutes), which is forgivable given the ABV. Body colour is a dull orange muted orange. No yeast particles are visible - at least not this high up in the bottle. No bubble show. Nontransparent but non-opaque. It's not much to look at, to be honest, but it's appropriate for the style.

Sm: The aroma is more the quality I was expecting from such a highly regarded saison. Pale malts, rich evocative spices, muted floral hopping, bubblegum, indistinct bright fruit, apple, pear, grass, heavy fruit esters, some lemon citrus injection, berries, cilantro, orange, pepper, pineapple, hints of subtle barnyard funk, and lemongrass. There's more there, but admittedly my broken nose can't detect them - or maybe I'm just not refined enough. I do know that there's serious complexity and subtlety to this aroma, and it's rare for the style. I can't wait to give this a taste. I suppose if I had to pick one note, I'd say pear is dominant. A moderate strength aroma. Near perfect. The one flaw is that the berry does ring artificial; it could just be me but it doesn't feel as natural as I'd like. Also, the crystal malt is a bit overdone.

T: Fruit esters are the first thing I get. Lots of pear, some crisp apple, hints of berries. The spicing manifests more as it warms, with hints of pepper coming through, though nowhere near as much as I'd like. I like my saisons very peppery, and it's limited here. I get some lychee-like fruit but it doesn't destroy the balance - that's hard to accomplish. Hints of cilantro, maybe. Some orange and orange rind. Not as grassy as anticipated, but it certainly comprises a part of the body - which is itself built primarily with pale malts. Maybe some biscuit malt as well. Certainly crystal malt, though not as much as suggested by the aroma. Redolent even of watermelon on the climax. Heavy fruit skin throughout. I don't get any earthiness, which I consider a good thing. Maybe some herbal notes, but more in a cilantro or spice sense. Boy, do I wish it had more pepper. Is that...strawberry? Yes. In any case, it's certainly a refreshing flavour and has layers of complexity and subtlety that emerge more and more as it warms. I certainly like it. No alcohol comes through. Fleeting hints of a yeasty character are present, but I don't get any earthy or biscuity yeasty notes; I'm a bit let down in that regard. Residual sugar lingers on the finish; I feel I should brush my teeth after finishing with this one - but it's not too sweet. Maybe some buried candied fig; there's certainly a candied something but I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it candi sugar. Hopping is floral but seemingly minimal, with hops mainly chosen for their ability to accentuate fruity esters. An apt choice here.

Constructively: Not enough black pepper. Not enough spicing. A bit too much white lychee sweetness. I criticize, but I nitpick. This is, in large part, a masterfully brewed beer.

Mf: Smooth, wet. Just coarse enough to bring out the flavour more. A bit of tingly character from the crystal malt. Thickness is ideal. Carbonation is near perfect - maybe a bit overdone in anticipation of aging. Complements the flavour nicely. Crisp and yet soft - like biting into a good pear.

Dr: All around a very drinkable saison, and one I expect that would improve with age. I do want more pepper and spicing in my saisons, but this beer delivers on every other point. Certainly one of the most complex saisons I've ever had the delight to drink. This is a requisite drink for anyone seriously delving into the world of saisons. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the ABV - it's so well hidden that it's an afterthought. This could easily be 5% and I doubt I'd know the difference.

High B+

I'd love to try this aged, and could easily see it reaching an A- rating in my book after a year or two in a cellar.

Would pair well with fresh pear or a good green apple. Perhaps a salad would suit it well as well, but watch it with the acidic dressing.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle poured into a tulip, cork has code 086/477044 on it. I've had the bottle for about two years though. Beer pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a finger of off white soft head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving some light lacing until only a thin collar of bubbles remain. Tried to not disturb the yeast much but still a bit of sediment on the first pour. Decent number of tiny bubbles but not particularly effervescent.

Nose is heavy fruity ester, red apple, ripe pear, fresh grapes, with some lighter floral, grassy, biscuit malts, and a earthy funk. Smells very sweet, but light. As it warms, more of the brett funk really comes through, horse blanket and wet horse hair.

Taking a sip, heavy brett flavors, funky earthy, wet animal like funk, matched with sweet fruit esters, apple, pear and grape. Not much malt flavor as the funk continues through to the finish. Very drying, leaving the tongue almost scratchy, with lingering wet animal hair funk, grassy and floral flavors.

Light to medium body with a decent amount of fine carbonation. Really interesting beer that changes as it warmed in the glass. Initially more ester forward, then really brett heavy as it warmed.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from 750ml corked and capped bottle into Globe glass.

A. Pours 3 finger head. Color is hazy golden yellow. Good retention. Moderate lacing.

S. Belgian yeast, lemony citrus, spices, pale sweet malt. Smells like refreshing in a glass. Really nice lemony sweet smell. A little bit of funk but not much. Really good smelling saison. I like the sweeter than most touch.

T. Wow. Holy Crap! As someone who loves Saisons, this might be the best I have had. Big explosions of lemony citrus, spices, sweet malt, tartness on the back of the tongue. Lots of flavor. Probably the most flavor I have had in a Saison. Sweet upfront and tart sourness on the back.

M. Medium/light. Heavy carbonation. Finishes with some tartness, but drinks mostly sweet.

O. Delicous! This is a really good beer. Saisons are among my favorite styles. This one has so much flavor going on its rediculous, almost like two beers in one.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme